Damsels in Distress

5.8

1. Apr 9, 2012
    I'd put it in 4th of Stillman's four films. There are 2 or 3 absolutely hilarious/absurd moments, but they certainly don't carry the rest of the film for me. Style and verbal cadence can only take you so far without a solid narrative foundation. I eagerly anticipated this film but was sadly a touch bored by it all.
  2. May 21, 2012
    Easily the weakest of Stillman's first four features, "Damsels in Distress" plays like an odd Ivy League reworking of the 1980s cult film, "Heathers." The problem lies with the Violet character (played by Greta Gerwig). Violet is strange to the point of suggesting mental illness and without a strong access character to counterbalance her the audience is left with no one in which toEasily the weakest of Stillman's first four features, "Damsels in Distress" plays like an odd Ivy League reworking of the 1980s cult film, "Heathers." The problem lies with the Violet character (played by Greta Gerwig). Violet is strange to the point of suggesting mental illness and without a strong access character to counterbalance her the audience is left with no one in which to identify. The closest we have to that character is Lily (Analeigh Tipton), the new girl in Violet's social circle, who sees her with fresh eyes. Meanwhile, the other ladies, Heather (yes, Heather) and Rose are woefully underdeveloped characters. They have no significant role in the plot, except perhaps serving as eye candy for campus frat boys (and the audience). Expand
  3. Dec 14, 2012
    I don't have a lot to add to other bad reviews here.... but I will reiterate that this is a triumph of style over substance. I chuckled in places, but I didn't find it interesting enough to finish. The premise and place is so far removed from reality and so isolated into its own nattering world, you just realize it is not going anywhere new after a little while. But it is engaging enoughI don't have a lot to add to other bad reviews here.... but I will reiterate that this is a triumph of style over substance. I chuckled in places, but I didn't find it interesting enough to finish. The premise and place is so far removed from reality and so isolated into its own nattering world, you just realize it is not going anywhere new after a little while. But it is engaging enough to watch after that point. I can understand some might like it, but if your newest paramour says this is a great film, be a little worried. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    May 4, 2012
    Damsels in Distress is shockingly tone-deaf. Stillman is still capable of a few amusing quips, but his storytelling is sophomoric.
  2. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Apr 27, 2012
    The performances are all terrific - Stillman gets his actors to latch onto his absurdist vibe, then gives them wonderfully rich dialogue to play with.
  3. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Apr 25, 2012
    Stillman inserts chapter headings and written asides into the proceedings, but none of it helps explain what is before us. The authorial voice in Damsels in Distress lacks definition.