8.9

1. Dec 20, 2010
    Dancer in the Dark is one of my favourite films ever. I cannot help but cry every time I watch it. The excellent performance by Bjork (surprisingly excellent, might I add) and the genius direction of Lars von Trier work perfectly to make one of the best films that have graced the film screen. Intensely disturbing, yet intensely gratifying and rewarding.
  2. Jeremy
    May 2, 2007
    [maybe spoilers] Spectacular movie. Spectacular performances. Had this been done by a major famous Hollywood director, it'd be up for an Oscar - if anything for Bjork's wondrous lead performance. One thing that bothers me most about the critics giving poor reviews (20s, 30s, 40s) is that they blame it on the depression. "This si 2.5 hours of pure depression," or "the climax: [maybe spoilers] Spectacular movie. Spectacular performances. Had this been done by a major famous Hollywood director, it'd be up for an Oscar - if anything for Bjork's wondrous lead performance. One thing that bothers me most about the critics giving poor reviews (20s, 30s, 40s) is that they blame it on the depression. "This si 2.5 hours of pure depression," or "the climax: with death row unendurable." It bugs me cause THATS WHAT THE MOVIE IS! It's supposed to be gut-wrenching, and heart-wrenching. It's supposed to make you cry. Make you feel. Make you hate it. It drains you mentally and emotionally, and, sometimes, physically. It's not unendurable though, cause you need to see what happens to her. And then that last song and it's pure misery backing it up - it really gets to you. And when it gets cut off.... one of the most depressing and best endings I've seen to a movie. Though probably the most depressing movie I've ever seen, and probably one of the most depressing movies EVER MADE... it's incredibly well done and it ranks among my favorites. Expand
  3. Oct 2, 2013
    This movie is utterly depressing, but you can't help feeling its wonder of the musical. It's very inventive and compelling. Yet, the story is making us frustrated. It is very unique in its own way. See it, and i dare you not to cry at the end!
  4. SilentH
    Sep 9, 2008
    One of the best movies Ive ever seen by far. A total masterpiece. Definitely recommend this movie.
  5. PatriciaB.
    Jul 6, 2001
    I rented the video and had to watch it twice. I had several emotions all rolled up into one. Bjork pulled off a magnanimous feat. What a wonderful actress.
  6. EricS.
    Mar 31, 2002
    Seems to be an archetypal love-it-or-hate-it film, and I loved it. Everyone who hated it seems to point out smugly that the premise and characters are implausible or downright exploitative. But these pretentious, jaded critics are missing the damned point. This movie is a musical fantasy that seamlessly fuses a morbid vision with a celebration of the joie de vivre. And yes, Bjork is perfect.
  7. DaveC.
    Dec 30, 2003
    Von Trier, "you just did what you had to do" and made one Hell of a film in the process. This film is fresh, bold, prolific and utterly compelling, but be warned... IT'S NOT FOR ALL TASTES!!
  8. SeonadP.
    Oct 10, 2001
    Bjork bjork bjork bjork bjork bjork... compelling, wonderful, imaginative, tear wrenching... simply beautiful.
    Aug 17, 2001
    This movie is haunting; it stays with you days after you've seen it. Does justice to the power of music. Bjork is a genius.
  10. HarryC.
    Sep 30, 2003
    Really revolutionary--despite some shackled carings for activated cells...
  11. LeeD.
    Mar 21, 2004
    It's just... astounding. I can see why people would hate this film, I just feel so sorry for them. This movie does depress me, but only because I know Bjork will never act again after she gave (so far) the most powerfrul performance of this millennium. You can't miss it.
  12. IvanR.
    Apr 11, 2004
    A masterpiece of sustained operatic feelings. Few movies can get an audience wailing in pain like this one did.
  13. JasonT
    Jan 20, 2005
    There are few films that I have ever seen that impacted me like "Dancer In The Dark." I have put off seeing it for years, and now finally got around to it. I can't believe I waited so long. An absolutely crushing film. Goes down in the books as the first movie to make me cry since middle school. Amazing.
  14. CatherineZ
    Jan 30, 2005
    [***SPOILERS***] Best film ever... Bjork is awesome and the story is really great... But... the last scene was just too much for me... Seeing someone die like that... especially the part that she sings and the person make the floor go down, it's really wierd, but nice in a way...but the film is like that and I love it even if it's horryfying to see Bjork die... Wow! amazing film.
  15. BrettC.
    Mar 11, 2006
    It is the first movie that made me cry in years; Bjork's performance is mind blowing, though the camera work can be a bit frustrating, the movie itself is thrilling.
  16. AndrewP
    Sep 13, 2009
    "Dancer" is one of the most thought-provoking, heart-wrenching films of the decade. It's a work of art that demonstrates that film as a medium, is still capable of evolving. "Bambi" may have been voted the saddest film ever, but surely, "Dancer" makes a mockery of any such list.
  17. PeterG.
    Oct 24, 2001
    It's one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. I've seen it 5 times in the same week. The character of Selma is just wonderful. Bjork's passion is equally wonderful. I loved it. There's nothing else to say. I LOVED it. If there's any LOVE in your heart, go see this movie.
  18. GaryR.
    Sep 21, 2001
    My favorite film. An amazing masterpiece that touches your heart and makes you think. One of the best films ever. Bjork delivers an incredible performance and the story, along with its ending, is unforgettable. A must-see.
  19. MarquezC.
    Oct 11, 2003
    A very existential film where the only thing that matters is the truth, this life: here and now. The videography gives it a 'realistic' feeling towards the events that unfold. The characters are dealt with a lot of issues and the film is unafraid to tell a story to its fullest, regardless of judgmental consequences (ie. 'violent', 'graphic', etc). Life is Art A very existential film where the only thing that matters is the truth, this life: here and now. The videography gives it a 'realistic' feeling towards the events that unfold. The characters are dealt with a lot of issues and the film is unafraid to tell a story to its fullest, regardless of judgmental consequences (ie. 'violent', 'graphic', etc). Life is Art and Art is Life. This is both. Expand
  20. AmitS.
    Apr 30, 2005
    For all it's apperent flaws and misleadings, this film is deeply affective piece of art. Bjork is a compelling protagonist. Von Trier is infamous for 'brutalising' the actors. The authenticity of this comment should not be debated; as this detail is incosequential to us, the audience. What should be commended, is the film's audacity, it's bold vision and it's For all it's apperent flaws and misleadings, this film is deeply affective piece of art. Bjork is a compelling protagonist. Von Trier is infamous for 'brutalising' the actors. The authenticity of this comment should not be debated; as this detail is incosequential to us, the audience. What should be commended, is the film's audacity, it's bold vision and it's sincere if bleak honesty. I've found myself on repeated occasions thinking about this film. Expand
  21. JoanneA.
    Feb 22, 2006
    A stunningly emotive film, as true to life as it wants to be. The morale, " They say it is the last song / They don't know us, you see / It's only the last song / If you let it be" is one to live your life by.
  22. AndrewW.
    May 14, 2006
    This movie is simply amazing to me. So emotionally moving.
  23. CarrieR.
    May 27, 2001
    It made my heart ache like only the best things can.
  24. RichardC.
    May 28, 2001
    A classic, no doubt. A truly beautiful and unique artform. The only people who rate this movie low are clearly those ignorant, close-minded fools who can't appreciate anything but going to church all day and scraping roadkill off the highway for dinner. Idiots.
  25. Daddy
    May 31, 2001
    Oh yeah...
  26. Daddy
    May 31, 2001
    Oh yeah...
  27. CharlesG.
    Jul 24, 2002
    Absolutely wonderful and intense, one of the best (if not the best) movies i've ever seen, I could say "I've seen it all" after watching these movie. And Bjork is just speechless, her acting it's so natural that you could believe that it's really happening in real life, also one of the best act performances i've ever seen.
  28. HectorR.
    Nov 3, 2004
    WOW! just speechless. even though it was a heart-breaking movie and gets you kind of dizzy sometimes, it's a very interesting prupose on how mixing drama and musicals. björk offers a powerfull atonishing near-to-perfection performance. definitely not for everyone, just for people with a fine modern taste, but worth watching. did i menction bjork offfering one of the best female WOW! just speechless. even though it was a heart-breaking movie and gets you kind of dizzy sometimes, it's a very interesting prupose on how mixing drama and musicals. björk offers a powerfull atonishing near-to-perfection performance. definitely not for everyone, just for people with a fine modern taste, but worth watching. did i menction bjork offfering one of the best female performances of all times??? Expand
  29. BrianC
    Jan 17, 2008
    The only movie that has ever made me sob uncontrollably. That may sound like a bad thing, but this is simply an amazing film. I had the soundtrack prior to seeing the film and kinda knew that it was going to be something somber. She is amazing in this film. It is absolutely heart-wrenching, but a must-see nonetheless.
  30. ClifC
    Dec 23, 2008
    Some reviews are simply made for speculations. This film is not about Lars von Trier's self-importance, I don't even know what's the reason of this statement! It's an original movie (even "worse", a musical film) that depicts the ordinary life of a mother who's ready to make everything, really hard, to save her son from blindness. It's common, yes, but the Some reviews are simply made for speculations. This film is not about Lars von Trier's self-importance, I don't even know what's the reason of this statement! It's an original movie (even "worse", a musical film) that depicts the ordinary life of a mother who's ready to make everything, really hard, to save her son from blindness. It's common, yes, but the movie breathes of sincerity and realism, with this touch of surrealism with Björk's extraordinary music and great voice. The performances are great, specifically Björk's one (this woman is really THE ART in itself). The story is black, cold. We are not invited to laugh in front of this movie, simply to see how cruel life can be. Depressing? Maybe, but life is sometimes worse than that. The only problem I noted is the way sometimes it's filmed. Sometimes hard to stomach. Maybe this film would have a metascore of 90 out of 100 if it was directed by Steven Spielberg. F**k Hollywood-boot-lickers reviewers! Expand
  31. Dec 25, 2010
    If you think all this movie has is depression and really nothing else, I think you don't even have emotion. You can see the cast and director put so much of feelings and effort into the film. The film is equal to humanity. The themes of the story are love, compassion, greed and ignorance, and what else the human mind works. Lead actress Bjork acts and sings so impressively, the directorIf you think all this movie has is depression and really nothing else, I think you don't even have emotion. You can see the cast and director put so much of feelings and effort into the film. The film is equal to humanity. The themes of the story are love, compassion, greed and ignorance, and what else the human mind works. Lead actress Bjork acts and sings so impressively, the director chose the right actress to star and the correct composer who was Bjork. Sad film but many lessons learned from it indeed. Expand
  32. Dec 26, 2013
    Emotive and artistic. This is a Master piece, i dare to say it's the best film Von Trier has ever made.
    Björk becomes in a lovely mother that wants the best for his son... but we're not used to watch sad movies, may tear your heart appart.
  33. May 31, 2014
    Dancer in the dark is a fantastic and touching musical drama with stunning interpretation of Bjork. I would love see her in another movie because she was simply perfect.
  34. Mar 14, 2015
    One of my favorite films ever, really deep and the musical it's emotional fantastic, the soundtrack moves your soul with such a beautiful and Electro-organic sound that reflects perfectly the Selma feelings

Easily the year's most trying, tormented, and thrilling movie ordeal.
    It is a bold, reckless gesture.
    I was astonished to find myself weeping copiously over von Trier's latest, which is another parable of monomaniacal sainthood.