Universal Pictures | Release Date: February 7, 1997
Watch Now
WWABTT123Sep 12, 2010
the is better than Volcano
SmitzDec 29, 2015
An incredibly enjoyable, engaging and atmospheric disaster flick. Filled with spectacular practical effects, edge of your seat set-pieces and characters actually worth investing in, Dante's Peak for me is a rare treat. It simply ticks all theAn incredibly enjoyable, engaging and atmospheric disaster flick. Filled with spectacular practical effects, edge of your seat set-pieces and characters actually worth investing in, Dante's Peak for me is a rare treat. It simply ticks all the boxes of a good, well made disaster film. It has two very likeable leads, the narrative is grounded and not over the top like a lot of other films in this genre and the setting/cinematography is sublime. It's a very well paced picture too, it flows by seamlessly and before you know it the film is finished. Dante's Peak truly deserves the recognition of being one of the best disaster films ever made, it is simply an enjoyable and entertaining movie that can appeal to just about anyone. What will strike you most about the film is how real the characters feel, how they react to this situation, how the plot builds excellently to the big finale and overall, just how fun it is to watch. Dante's peak as a film is 6/10, as a disaster film it sits up their with the best and deserves a solid 8/10. Expand
MovieGuysMar 29, 2014
Dante's Peak isn't the greatest movie ever, but in terms of movies about volcanoes, it's at the top of the list. The performances and the effects are mostly on par, with more than a few slip-ups in the screenwriting and script departments.
TandTMay 10, 2016
One of the best disaster films I have ever seen, great characters, great set-pieces, great atmosphere...great everything! If you want a truly thrilling and scary disaster film then this is the movie for you, it is executed so well!
RedfireballNov 8, 2013
I liked this movie, there were REAL special effects, it looks a lot more real than its rival "Volcano", and the volcano is based on Mt. St. Helens. I liked the movie a whole bunch, and my younger brother led me here!
KeytonE.Sep 15, 2005
Terrible. Absolutely terrible. Take it from me, you will feel nothing for these characters and about half way through you will actually want them to die, because then it will be over.
1 of 3 users found this helpful
RansackAug 11, 2010
It isn't all that bad, just sort of slow in like the first hour. That is what I hate about most movies, they don't showe the good parts until the middle or end. What is up with that?
PaxsterOct 23, 2010
A poor excuse for a movie. Not to mention the melodramatic and unrealistic moments. 'OOOO our car is in lava and our tyres are not melting because this is a Hollywood blockbuster'. No,no,no. Piers Brosnan should of stuck with Bond.
ryancarroll88Aug 27, 2010
The problems seem to just roll out one after the other as if they were lined up in a plotted queue, and each becomes less interesting and more exhausting than the last, all the way up to the violin-strings-and-french-horn-bravado ending. AndThe problems seem to just roll out one after the other as if they were lined up in a plotted queue, and each becomes less interesting and more exhausting than the last, all the way up to the violin-strings-and-french-horn-bravado ending. And I thought that volcanoes were exciting... Expand
AouzyDec 5, 2011
It takes about an hour for the volcano to erupt, within that hour it's just people talking and earthquakes, i didn't even finish the movie yet but i don't want to.
OfficialMar 8, 2014
The entire film had probably ten minutes that I thought were decent. The building up to the climax was so slow that I almost fell asleep. Disaster flick fans, you might wanna look somewhere else.
PeCCeSep 7, 2013
The movie has many flaws in logic for a disaster movie. While it tries to be exciting and atmospheric, the overrated Hollywood-soundtrack takes it down.
RickyReviewsFeb 22, 2016
The film is not as good as it's rival, Volcano. The story is weak, the characters are very cliched. However, the special effects were fantastic, and it is suspenseful. Not a memorable movie by any means. I'm giving it a 5/10.
EricB.Sep 10, 2005
This Mind Boggling, Action packed thriller holds you on the edge of your seat until the lava carries your seat away.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
[Anonymous]Sep 18, 2005
It's no masterpiece. But It's exciting.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
Vulf001Jun 14, 2018
Why do critics despise this movie? It isn't perfect by any means, but it's very underrated. I liked it more than Volcano. The plot is unoriginal and the story is slow, but it has very good special effects and it was very fun when the wholeWhy do critics despise this movie? It isn't perfect by any means, but it's very underrated. I liked it more than Volcano. The plot is unoriginal and the story is slow, but it has very good special effects and it was very fun when the whole thing blew up. Check it out. Expand