Dark Blue

8.2

1. Yes,It'sGilbertMulroneycakes
    Jul 12, 2003
    We've only just got this film in the theatres (July 12 2003, fact fans) over here in Britain. Not hard to see why: there's not an original frame in the whole picture. That's not to say it's a terrible film, mind; but that's its problem. It's not a bad film, it's just. Another one to rent then. But not from Blockbuster.
  2. TonyL.
    Feb 25, 2003
    A B-minus for this movie. The story is way over the top. Kurt Russell gives a good performance though!. Nice to see Lolita D. back in a movie again!
  3. JoelF.
    Feb 27, 2003
    This movie was the most brutal cop movie I have ever seen. The plot is very weak and has very poor acting. It is extremely unrealistic and more of an excuse to show cops being macho. Everybody has done something bad, and nobody is good, which makes the movie a bad cop against another bad cop.

1. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    In the end, the problem with movies like Dark Blue is that they willfully ignore the systemic, historical, cultural, and class causes of racism in favor of pinning it all on a few bad apples. Sure, that's entertainment. It's also a lie.
    My own view is that, like me, the LAPD was defeated by the movie's incestuously proliferating plots. I've seen Dark Blue twice, and I still don't have a handle on all its comings and goings.
  3. Sensitively directed by Ron Shelton and helped by what just might be the best performance of Kurt Russell's career, Dark Blue is as interesting and successful as it can be within its limits, but those limits make this a more generic film than its makers intended.