5.7

1. Jun 17, 2013
    I was expecting more to be honest Tim Burton disappointed me this time and Johnny was okay for a role that was made for him .
    Michelle Pfeiffer was a disappointment too i was thinking that she'll make a great comeback but obviously the role was passable
    The best in show was obviously Eva Green what a great turn
  2. Aug 25, 2013
    It's one of Tim's and Depp's best picture. I really liked it, and it's one of my favourite comedies. Do not miss it guys!!! And first of all: Do not hear to anyone who says that it's a bad and horrible picture!! It's a masterpiece!!!
  3. Sep 1, 2013
    Dark Shadows is a fun film, it's not a film that'll change your life or give you any true emotional response which will effect you but it is a good fun movie to pass the time. You can really feel Burton's directorial impulses and feel in this film which is always good. Acting wise, the entire cast was good I thought Johnny Depp was just his average acting, which is still incredibly high in comparison to other actors. Michelle Pfieffer was very good as was Chloe Grace Moretz, with the rest of the ensemble giving good performances to.

I enjoyed the 1970's setting of the film and the confusion Barnabas feels as he enters this new world. All in all a good film, but it isn't going to be anybody's favorite film of all time.
  4. Jan 20, 2014
    A pointlessly gloomy film with none of the satirical appeal of its source material. Here we again find Johnny Depp playing a misunderstood character who unfortunately is not supported by an interesting cast.
  5. Dec 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I missed the premiere of ‘Dark Shadow’ in 2012, and was really excited to finally have a chance to watch it yesterday. However, my excitement was cruelly killed by Barnabas Collins just as he did to Dr. Hoffman.

When it comes to characters with inhuman nature, viewers would probably expect to see how they show off their abilities, or in the case of ‘Dark Shadows’, how they struggle to conceal it in order to fit in the life of an ordinary human; it is safe to say that this movie totally ignores such details. Barnabas possesses a variety of vampirical features such as super strength, blood thirst, fear of sunlight, and immortality, but each of which is only exposed once or twice during the movie in a good few moments of humour; the most noticeable exposure of his nature when he kills Julia is, unfortunately, just an insignificant drive in the whole movie. Probably after leaving the cinema, most viewers would just remember Barnabas as a male version of sleeping beauty that’s all. The same thing happens to Carolyn and David, as their amazing abilities are only revealed at the end of the movie yet in a very unnatural and shallow way.

Assume that the producers didn’t want to make ‘Dark Shadows’ a blockbuster full of stunning visual effects; then why don’t they give the story more depth as that of emotional and psychological genre? The film could have left the audience a much stronger impression if it had exploited the miserable private lives of its characters: Elizabeth’s warm heart behind her cold and strict mask, Carolyn’s crave for understanding during the lonely fight to hide her being a werewolf, David’s isolation and desperate attempt to win his father’s attention.

In addition to the film missing many potential materials to win the audience’s affection, there have been detected a lot of unreasonable details in the development of the storyline. The character Elizabeth, for example, seems to be created as a caring and warm-hearted mother despite her cold and strict mask; however, she does know about her daughter’s being a werewolf at all; she should have noticed some signs of it, or at least, should have some memory of the girl being bitten by a werewolf (in the guise of a dog maybe). Moreover, she takes on the intention of killing Barnabas when he reveals his identity very fast and easily would a kind mother do such things? Another unnatural point of the story is David’s relationship with Julia and Victoria. Maybe it does not hold any major importance to the development of the storyline, but would it be more natural if we see some scenes of Julia treating David, or Victoria teaching the boy? Angelique’s death is also an odd detail she seems to be immortal, and survives after being shot by Elizabeth and beaten up by Barnabas, yet she dies just because of being blown into the chandelier? It would be more acceptable if she dies of a serious injury after an epic fight against the vampire, the werewolf and the ghost all together.

There are numerous other drawbacks of the film ‘Dark Shadows’ regarding sense of humour and spookiness., which are already discussed by many critics; therefore, in my writing, I’d like to discuss only the most obvious weakness the storyline. It is just my personal opinion about the movie; if you hold a different perspective, please take my writing just as another point of view, and let us agree to disagree.
  6. Feb 12, 2014
    This movie is... Amusing?
    Not sure what to say about this one. Definitely not one of Burton's best movies. It was ok to watch one time, but I wouldn't repeat it.
  7. Mar 11, 2014
    i give my rating a 9 here's why . tim burton is a creative director others might think tim burton lost his mind . jhonny depp is a vampire who has been buried over 200 years and finds himself in 1972 and renuites with his family to break the curse also to fight the witch ( eva green ) . i love this film and i love tim burton's films and the fact that he put a vampire in 1972 which it is awsome . Expand

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 18, 2012
    Along with Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson, Burton is one of the few magi who know what can be dredged up, even now, from the cauldron of special effects. [21 May 2012, p.80]
    The screenplay by Seth Grahame-Smith is witless and meandering, though the witlessness wouldn't matter so much if it moved, or the meandering if it were droll.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 11, 2012
    The film is best when it focuses on Barnabas's culture shocks in this brave new world. Depp has fun with the character's bafflements without camping it up. What's missing overall is the sense of fun Burton once evinced in films like "Beetlejuice."