Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: May 11, 2012
5.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 417 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SpangleDec 23, 2016
A schlocky and unrelentingly dumb film in which witch Eva Green literally rips her beating heart out to give to vampire Johnny Depp, Dark Shadows is a major misfire by Tim Burton. Presented as a horror-comedy, Dark Shadows is neither scaryA schlocky and unrelentingly dumb film in which witch Eva Green literally rips her beating heart out to give to vampire Johnny Depp, Dark Shadows is a major misfire by Tim Burton. Presented as a horror-comedy, Dark Shadows is neither scary nor funny, rather it is merely an absurd take on both. Though featuring good special effects, Dark Shadows fails in nearly every other category as it is unfunny, unscary, ludicrous, and poorly acted. Admittedly quite campy, Dark Shadows is hardly any fun either, opting instead to follow a silly love revenge plot instead of exploring its characters or the fact that we are watching vampires and witches at all.

Dark Shadows is equivalent to being bitten by a vampire and having the blood slowly drained from you. From a compelling beginning and menacing entrance by Barnabas Collins (Johnny Depp), the film devolves into becoming a weird romance film between Barnabas and Angelique Bouchard (Eva Green). Angelique, who has cursed the Collins family because Barnabas would not love her, is seductively portrayed by Green. Burton plays up her sex appeal with her ripping open her shirt, throwing herself at Barnabas, and sporting a low-cut red dress to entice Barnabas. Though these fail, it does highlight her manipulative and lustful ways as a character and makes her a compelling foe. Barnabas, meanwhile, is a fish out of water and the film hardly tries to break these cliches. After sleeping for two centuries, he struggles to acclimate to 1970s Maine, which is hardly funny because this storyline has been played out far too much for it to seem funny. The relationship between Barnabas and Angelique is also far too much with an off-the-wall (literally) sex scene, while also lacking any chemistry whatsoever. Depp's rigid and lifeless performance hardly saves anything either with his out-of-touch character's out-of-touchness scoring zero laughs.

In the supporting roles, Michelle Pfeiffer, Helena Bonham Carter, and Chloe Grace Moretz, all ham it up to varying effectiveness. Pfeiffer is fine, Carter is decent, and Moretz is horrible. Losing all of her luster after a tremendous performance in (500) Days of Summer, Moretz plays the role of the young Carolyn Stoddard very poorly. Her performance would be more up to far in a terrible teen werewolf romance television show, as opposed to a feature film. If this were Twilight, Moretz may be a small reprieve acting-wise, but here, she is lost. Instead, she just plays the snobbish and **** teenage daughter unconvincingly.

The writing does not save anything either, nor do the editing or direction. With zero flow between the scenes, Dark Shadows' characters are ineffectual and its plot far too simplistic to hold your attention for more than two seconds. If you watch this in spurts between checking your phone, you would be shocked to find out you missed nothing. Rather than exploring its mythology at all or even its characters, Dark Shadows plays on the soap opera roots of its source material by focusing on the romance. This can be fine and acceptable if the romance had any spark. Instead, one is revenge-filled and the other is "destiny" because of a girl who looks similar to one Barnabas did love. Both lack a proper build-up or chemistry and are incredibly shorthanded. They lack intrigue or emotion whatsoever with the characters languishing behind layers of make-up that make them appear entirely lifeless. The end result is a romance that seems unbelievable and forced.

The only saving grace of the film is the production and costume design. Burton may be losing his touch in the director's chair, but he still has not lost his gothic roots. With excellent design features in the home of the Collins family, Burton creates a lavish and exquisitely setting for his characters. The costumes match this perfectly with the characters oddly never clashing between the gothic nature of the home and the modern world surrounding it and reflected in their clothing. In this way, Dark Shadows effectively creates a mysterious and ominous atmosphere that feels both 18th Century gothic and modern at the same time, which is a clear achievement of the film that is never loses itself in this clash of visual styles. This is highlighted especially in Carolyn's room. Carpeted and covered in posters of bands, the room is undeniably a teenage girl's room. Yet, the carpet runs into the stone floor right outside, which creates an interesting visual dichotomy that oddly does work. It is odd to look at, but the film allows both the modern and past elements to blend perfectly.

A mess plot-wise and character-wise and acting-wise, Dark Shadows is a misfire from Tim Burton and crew. It is not scary nor is it funny, which is disappointing given the campy approach taken by the actors and Burton. Yet, the film fails to deliver the goods throughout. That said, excellent costume and production design give the film a striking visual appearance. Burton also knows visuals very well
ThreeboxIndoorsDec 20, 2016
Dark Shadows defied my expectations, but that isn't saying much. Angelique Bouchard is played too over-the-top and is just plain unwatchable at times. Bella Heathcote's acting here is robotic. She plays Victoria, who is the main character atDark Shadows defied my expectations, but that isn't saying much. Angelique Bouchard is played too over-the-top and is just plain unwatchable at times. Bella Heathcote's acting here is robotic. She plays Victoria, who is the main character at the start until the movie just ignores her to focus on Barnabas, the vampire played by Johnny Depp. He can be funny, but he can also get annoying. He is the protagonist. Near the end Barnabas and Victoria have a conversation and so abruptly they start to love each other and it feels forced. We don't care about Vicky because the movie ignores her almost completely, which is what makes the scene so abrupt. Their relationship doesn't evolve throughout the movie, they just immediately fall in love and you don't buy it. This movie also has its fair share of sex jokes, none of which i laughed at. The tone is very inconsistent and unbalanced. It's hard to tell whether you're watching a comedy, a drama or a horror movie. Overall, Dark Shadows has great visuals but has sub-par acting, annoying characters, a ridiculous script, and sluggish pacing. It isn't terrible, but it's far from average. I give this movie a 3/10. Expand
choomtabi31Mar 7, 2016
A story I'm glad Burton picked up on. It is a little tamer than much of his opus, but definitely worth a watch.

Watch it here for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-1641321-Dark-Shadows-online-free
audreythomas25Feb 15, 2016
The movie is bloody, sexy and exciting. I have always enjoyed watching Depp’s films.

Watch here for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-190b69-Dark-Shadows-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
oxanaAug 24, 2014
Strong 3 stars, although a bit of a disappointment. Well, the rating is due to that disappointment...

I was looking forward to seeing Johnny Depp on the big screen once again. As the trailer promised, the movie was plenty of fun while

I was looking forward to seeing Johnny Depp on the big screen once again.

As the trailer promised, the movie was plenty of fun while putting a bit of a twist on the familiar vampiric tale - but somewhere around the halfway point of the movie the story started to go downhill fast. I have no idea what caused those ridiculous things. For one, Angelique slowly but steadily ruined to movie by going over to top with her revenge. There were some other family revelations that came out of nowhere, for no apparent reason, and in general the plot just fell apart and killed the enjoyment level of the "big showdown" in the end.

Lots of laughs and fun but they really should have stuck with what they started and not let the story run away the way it did.
lukechristianscMar 11, 2014
i give my rating a 9 here's why . tim burton is a creative director others might think tim burton lost his mind . jhonny depp is a vampire who has been buried over 200 years and finds himself in 1972 and renuites with his family to breaki give my rating a 9 here's why . tim burton is a creative director others might think tim burton lost his mind . jhonny depp is a vampire who has been buried over 200 years and finds himself in 1972 and renuites with his family to break the curse also to fight the witch ( eva green ) . i love this film and i love tim burton's films and the fact that he put a vampire in 1972 which it is awsome . Expand
goopyGoopFeb 12, 2014
This movie is... Amusing?
Not sure what to say about this one. Definitely not one of Burton's best movies. It was ok to watch one time, but I wouldn't repeat it.
marcmyworksJan 20, 2014
A pointlessly gloomy film with none of the satirical appeal of its source material. Here we again find Johnny Depp playing a misunderstood character who unfortunately is not supported by an interesting cast.
Iky009Jan 4, 2014
Sombras da Noite possui um estilo visual do mesmo seguimento da linha Burton, também há ótimos efeitos visuais e boas pitadas de humor, porém em si seu roteiro falho deixando muito a desejar nesse quisito, mais pelo menos consegue divertir.
Jack97Jan 1, 2014
Johnny Depp is acceptable in his role and is the only saving grace for Dark Shadows as the rest of the film is generally uninteresting, boring and unsatisfying. A miss for Depp and Burton.
C_NguyenDec 19, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I missed the premiere of ‘Dark Shadow’ in 2012, and was really excited to finally have a chance to watch it yesterday. However, my excitement was cruelly killed by Barnabas Collins just as he did to Dr. Hoffman.

When it comes to characters with inhuman nature, viewers would probably expect to see how they show off their abilities, or in the case of ‘Dark Shadows’, how they struggle to conceal it in order to fit in the life of an ordinary human; it is safe to say that this movie totally ignores such details. Barnabas possesses a variety of vampirical features such as super strength, blood thirst, fear of sunlight, and immortality, but each of which is only exposed once or twice during the movie in a good few moments of humour; the most noticeable exposure of his nature when he kills Julia is, unfortunately, just an insignificant drive in the whole movie. Probably after leaving the cinema, most viewers would just remember Barnabas as a male version of sleeping beauty that’s all. The same thing happens to Carolyn and David, as their amazing abilities are only revealed at the end of the movie yet in a very unnatural and shallow way.

Assume that the producers didn’t want to make ‘Dark Shadows’ a blockbuster full of stunning visual effects; then why don’t they give the story more depth as that of emotional and psychological genre? The film could have left the audience a much stronger impression if it had exploited the miserable private lives of its characters: Elizabeth’s warm heart behind her cold and strict mask, Carolyn’s crave for understanding during the lonely fight to hide her being a werewolf, David’s isolation and desperate attempt to win his father’s attention.

In addition to the film missing many potential materials to win the audience’s affection, there have been detected a lot of unreasonable details in the development of the storyline. The character Elizabeth, for example, seems to be created as a caring and warm-hearted mother despite her cold and strict mask; however, she does know about her daughter’s being a werewolf at all; she should have noticed some signs of it, or at least, should have some memory of the girl being bitten by a werewolf (in the guise of a dog maybe). Moreover, she takes on the intention of killing Barnabas when he reveals his identity very fast and easily would a kind mother do such things? Another unnatural point of the story is David’s relationship with Julia and Victoria. Maybe it does not hold any major importance to the development of the storyline, but would it be more natural if we see some scenes of Julia treating David, or Victoria teaching the boy? Angelique’s death is also an odd detail she seems to be immortal, and survives after being shot by Elizabeth and beaten up by Barnabas, yet she dies just because of being blown into the chandelier? It would be more acceptable if she dies of a serious injury after an epic fight against the vampire, the werewolf and the ghost all together.

There are numerous other drawbacks of the film ‘Dark Shadows’ regarding sense of humour and spookiness., which are already discussed by many critics; therefore, in my writing, I’d like to discuss only the most obvious weakness the storyline. It is just my personal opinion about the movie; if you hold a different perspective, please take my writing just as another point of view, and let us agree to disagree.
McLaughlinViewsSep 1, 2013
Dark Shadows is a fun film, it's not a film that'll change your life or give you any true emotional response which will effect you but it is a good fun movie to pass the time. You can really feel Burton's directorial impulses and feel in thisDark Shadows is a fun film, it's not a film that'll change your life or give you any true emotional response which will effect you but it is a good fun movie to pass the time. You can really feel Burton's directorial impulses and feel in this film which is always good. Acting wise, the entire cast was good I thought Johnny Depp was just his average acting, which is still incredibly high in comparison to other actors. Michelle Pfieffer was very good as was Chloe Grace Moretz, with the rest of the ensemble giving good performances to.

I enjoyed the 1970's setting of the film and the confusion Barnabas feels as he enters this new world. All in all a good film, but it isn't going to be anybody's favorite film of all time.
python2000Aug 27, 2013
This was an enjoyable movie overall because of the last half hour and another outstanding performance from Chloe Moretz. Johnny Depp plays Captain Jack Sparrow sorry Johnny Depp plays Barnabus Collins (who is basically Jack Sparrow butThis was an enjoyable movie overall because of the last half hour and another outstanding performance from Chloe Moretz. Johnny Depp plays Captain Jack Sparrow sorry Johnny Depp plays Barnabus Collins (who is basically Jack Sparrow but without a tan). Dark Shadows is a decent movie which will not impress everyone but is bearable. Expand
JohnnyStephensAug 25, 2013
It's one of Tim's and Depp's best picture. I really liked it, and it's one of my favourite comedies. Do not miss it guys!!! And first of all: Do not hear to anyone who says that it's a bad and horrible picture!! It's a masterpiece!!!
AliBenzekriJun 17, 2013
I was expecting more to be honest Tim Burton disappointed me this time and Johnny was okay for a role that was made for him .
Michelle Pfeiffer was a disappointment too i was thinking that she'll make a great comeback but obviously the role was passable
The best in show was obviously Eva Green what a great turn
KivaJun 11, 2013
great story, great cast, great fun The atmosphere was scary and funny at the same time.I really liked eva green and chloe grace moretz
TheCyberDeadMay 17, 2013
The movies starts out with a large focus on a female protagonist named Victoria whom you are thereby inclined to believe is going to be the main character. Then you're introduced to some main characters which are trying to be interesting,The movies starts out with a large focus on a female protagonist named Victoria whom you are thereby inclined to believe is going to be the main character. Then you're introduced to some main characters which are trying to be interesting, forcibly so but to no avail. Then there's some quick history on Depp's character, then he comes to the household. Victoria is then barely if ever seen or heard from again till the end, and she's Depp's forced love interest so there's no development at all, just he sees her he loves her don't question it. There's also an evil witch that cursed Depp with vampirism and sealed him away for 200 years after killing his parents and the woman he loves (don't worry its all explained at the start of the movie, nothings been spoiled) whom did so because she loved him, but he didn't love her.

I could go on but really it's a poorly written, uninspired vampire movie and the only saving qualities are the great art direction, which is to be expected from a Tim Burton film, and Johnny Depp, which is to be expected from a Tim Burton Film. The film seems extremely rushed, like they tried to fit too much plot and character development into a 2 hour movie, and sometimes its just plain stupid as well, at times I felt like I was watching a bad episode of charmed or something in that vein, simply beautified and branded by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp.
StevenFApr 24, 2013
Haven't watched the TV show, but I think films should be all about their own merit and what they bring to the table, and from the research into the TV show of the same name, it was a classic. This film on the other hand, certainly isn't.Haven't watched the TV show, but I think films should be all about their own merit and what they bring to the table, and from the research into the TV show of the same name, it was a classic. This film on the other hand, certainly isn't.
Dark Shadows begins with a bang, Burton takes cues from his work on his own version of Willy Wonka by showing us a small montage of where it all began, we see how Barnabas Collins (Johnny Depp) is madly in love with Josette (Bella Heathcote), but his recent affair with Angelique (Eva Green) reveals a truth that he may just have never wanted to find, her witchcraft skills manage to see off Barnabas's parents, and when further tragedy strikes, the evil Angelique curses our lovestruck hero, making him a vampire and subsequently burying him.
We fast forward 200 years when the vampire Barnabas is accidentally set free, much to to the dismay of Angelique who has continued to live on throughout the centuries. Unfortunately when Barnabas arrives at his former manor of Collinwood, this is where the true confusion of this flawed film sets in. Its never clear what story is being told, there are small and silly moments of comedy, there is also romance, but throw in some drama, or attempt at a dramatic piece anyway, and you do have quite a layered mess of two hours.
We are introduced to quite the ensemble of a cast, characters that are miraculously left out for the true plot of the film.
Michelle Pfeiffer delivers a convincing turn as the head of the Collins house, but for most of the film she seems to be wandering around with nothing to do. Chloe Moretz plays her daughter, the rebel and typically moody teen who again, is introduced in what could be a major plot development, but is left as an after-thought. There is just the constant feel that the film isn't going anywhere, and feels too clustered for squeezing so many characters but not giving them a story behind them.
Johnny Depp can always be relied on to give a fine performance, but for someone who is consistently a fan of the Burton/Depp collaboration, it does seem to unfortunately be waining.
There are fine sets and typically gothic Burton touches to costumes and make-up which certainly give it his stamp, but the overall pace and writing of the film feels very out of touch and was truly disappointing after the opening 15 minutes.
No amount of 70s jokes or even Barnabas's reaction to his new world could save this film from being a dull and under-developed experience.
sammieteeMar 29, 2013
It wasn't terrible, I guess. This movie was slow and I felt like I was missing some important information about the back story. I also felt this movie was represented as more of a comedy when it wasn't. One thing I did enjoy was Johnny Depp'sIt wasn't terrible, I guess. This movie was slow and I felt like I was missing some important information about the back story. I also felt this movie was represented as more of a comedy when it wasn't. One thing I did enjoy was Johnny Depp's lines. I liked how they kept him proper. In all, this movie is very forgettable and I won't remember most of it in the morning. Expand
MarkMusicMar 27, 2013
Oh Johnny, The Tourist was better then this. Tim, Alice and Wonderland was a masterpiece. What the F%#K was this. Unfunny the only funny moments were probably in the trailer or the first 8 minutes. Please this won an award for best comedy.Oh Johnny, The Tourist was better then this. Tim, Alice and Wonderland was a masterpiece. What the F%#K was this. Unfunny the only funny moments were probably in the trailer or the first 8 minutes. Please this won an award for best comedy. The audience and I laughed more at "Madeas Whitness Protection". God, that should've won instead this, eh still a better plot then Avatar. I actually enjoyed Twilight more. Expand
BrianMcCriticMar 17, 2013
Another movie that Tim Burton chose to go with his style over the substance of a good movie. I understand that these talented actors had to act a certain way for this movie, but the acting made this movie even more boring.
LDianeMar 3, 2013
Good special effects, but not much else. I felt like they crammed four hours of dialogue and story into two hours. The story felt rushed, and I got bored. There wasn't much time for plot character development. Enjoyable, but I won't beGood special effects, but not much else. I felt like they crammed four hours of dialogue and story into two hours. The story felt rushed, and I got bored. There wasn't much time for plot character development. Enjoyable, but I won't be watching this again. Expand
AlienSpaceBatsMar 2, 2013
I came away thinking this film didn't know what it wanted to be. The trailers painted a different picture; that it was a wacky comedy it isn't, though it did draw a few laughs from time to time. Also I wonder who the target audience is, ifI came away thinking this film didn't know what it wanted to be. The trailers painted a different picture; that it was a wacky comedy it isn't, though it did draw a few laughs from time to time. Also I wonder who the target audience is, if not Depp and Burton's egos? Expand
Rox22Feb 6, 2013
This movie is a curious one. It can't seem to decide if it wants to be a horror or a comedy. And no, it can't seem to be both, for some weird reason. If anything, this movie would have worked allot better as a pure horror movie. The comedyThis movie is a curious one. It can't seem to decide if it wants to be a horror or a comedy. And no, it can't seem to be both, for some weird reason. If anything, this movie would have worked allot better as a pure horror movie. The comedy just feels forced and out of place. Allot of interesting ideas floating about that just don't get realized. Bottom line, it's poorly written and perhaps Burton's biggest blunder to date. BUT, it does have quite a few saving graces. Some excellent performance from Michelle Pfeiffer Jackie Earle Haley. Depp is also pretty decent, but doesn't really do anything we haven't already seen from him before. Eva Green is just utterly breathtaking and plays her role magnificently. Special effects are, mostly, top notch and some great set pieces. Overall: An OK movie that is generally OK but perhaps a little subpar to Burton's usual standards. Expand
SummersausageJan 14, 2013
Movies with potential need to stop screwing themselves over. This was interesting and decent for a while but due to lame plot twists and poor story development with bad jokes it turns out a very pretty piece of crap.
NecromusDec 29, 2012
I'm not sure why people all seem to give this movie a bad review. Maybe they were expecting this to be a masterpiece like some of the other Tim Burton movies starring Johnny Depp. Is this Edward Scissorhands? No. Is this The Nightmare BeforeI'm not sure why people all seem to give this movie a bad review. Maybe they were expecting this to be a masterpiece like some of the other Tim Burton movies starring Johnny Depp. Is this Edward Scissorhands? No. Is this The Nightmare Before Christmas? No. Is this Sleepy Hollow? No. Is this a light comedy by Tim Burton starring Johnny Depp as a Vampire come back from the grave who says many funny things because he is only aware of things from the Victorian Age? Yes. If you like Johnny Depp and you want to see him say funny things in an old English accent when he misinterprets things in modern society then you will enjoy this film. The film does seem to move in multiple directions, never really landing on one, maybe that is why people find it weird. Is it a comedy? Action? Soap Opera? A bit of all of the above? -- Probably. Anyway, I saw it in the theater and I enjoyed it enough that I don't feel I wasted my time and money (a major feat these days with all the bad movies I've seen lately). I give it an 8/10 Expand
JawsLaxerDramaDec 27, 2012
While the movie did have a good premise, Dark Shadows fails. Not terribly, but enough so that it is only deemed mediocre by myself and by my family. The story isn't rich enough, the screenplay is okay. This screams nothing special. And forWhile the movie did have a good premise, Dark Shadows fails. Not terribly, but enough so that it is only deemed mediocre by myself and by my family. The story isn't rich enough, the screenplay is okay. This screams nothing special. And for that, my diagnosis would be to see it. Just know, this isn't like Sweeney Todd or some other great Burton movie. Expand
jos95Dec 11, 2012
It has many things in common with Tim Burton's earliest films (the supernatural protagonist staying with the dysfunctional family is one of them) but it felt more like an over-budgeted rehash of his early formula. Apart from the suitablyIt has many things in common with Tim Burton's earliest films (the supernatural protagonist staying with the dysfunctional family is one of them) but it felt more like an over-budgeted rehash of his early formula. Apart from the suitably gothic beginning and climax, the rest of the movie was as dull as dishwater. All the laughs the film has to offer are all in the trailer, and they fall flat over the course of almost two hours. Johnny Depp overacted, even by his standards and his character shifted too often from Barnabas the loveable vampire to Barnabas the murderer causing abrupt tonal shifts. The rest of the cast also overacted, and their characters were completely unlikable and never developed. Shame, since some of them are great in other movies. Dark Shadows is a wasted opportunity that squanders a great cast and crew, and is a surefire candidate for the worst movie of the year. Expand
Bruce722Nov 29, 2012
Definitely one of the better Johnny Depp movies in recent memory. I was surprised with not only the originality but also the drama in the tragedy for it being such a light-hearted film. Definitely worth watching in my opinion.
Trev29Nov 24, 2012
This movie turned out quite differently than I thought it would. The story seemed rather odd, and moved strangely, but in the end I was still won over by Tim Burton's vision. It was a very nice movie to look at, and the ending totally made upThis movie turned out quite differently than I thought it would. The story seemed rather odd, and moved strangely, but in the end I was still won over by Tim Burton's vision. It was a very nice movie to look at, and the ending totally made up for the mishaps. I enjoyed the characters too. Expand