Dark Shadows

5.7

1. May 16, 2012
    The visual are top notch but Tim Burton never finds a consistent rhythm, mixing campy jokes and gothic spookiness. Dark Shadows suffering imbalance and ridiculous script and all A-list star here couldn't help much. Despite its intriguing trailer, Dark Shadows turn to be dead and boring entertainment.
  2. Jun 2, 2012
    This was a decent movie, and honestly it was better than I expected. The best part of the movie was the production design, costumes, and makeup. Johnny Depp did well with the material he was given, even if he did come across as rather annoying at times. The movie as a whole was funny at times, but at other times I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a comedy, a drama, or a horrorThis was a decent movie, and honestly it was better than I expected. The best part of the movie was the production design, costumes, and makeup. Johnny Depp did well with the material he was given, even if he did come across as rather annoying at times. The movie as a whole was funny at times, but at other times I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a comedy, a drama, or a horror movie. Overall, I think if you're a Johnny Depp or Tim Burton fan, you'll like this movie. If not, you should see something else. Expand
  3. Jun 17, 2012
    You know that feeling you get when you are watching the trailer to a movie and feeling that all the funny parts were most likely just seen? That was Dark Shadows for me. I knew all the laughs that could be had in the movie arrived in that 2 min sneak but I could not resist Depp and Burton. I have definitely seen worst, don't get me wrong, but i felt myself growing bored and considering howYou know that feeling you get when you are watching the trailer to a movie and feeling that all the funny parts were most likely just seen? That was Dark Shadows for me. I knew all the laughs that could be had in the movie arrived in that 2 min sneak but I could not resist Depp and Burton. I have definitely seen worst, don't get me wrong, but i felt myself growing bored and considering how uncomfortable my seat was as it droned on. Save it for a home rental. Expand
  4. Oct 10, 2012
    There are plenty of flaws to this Dark Shadows, such as uneven plot and character usage. But, Depp plays a most excellent Barnabas Collins and is a vampire that is not afraid to use his very being and powers to get what he wants. Something few vampire movies successfully utilize. Fans of the TV show will undoubtedly be upset with what a two hour film tries to sum up in a thousand episodeThere are plenty of flaws to this Dark Shadows, such as uneven plot and character usage. But, Depp plays a most excellent Barnabas Collins and is a vampire that is not afraid to use his very being and powers to get what he wants. Something few vampire movies successfully utilize. Fans of the TV show will undoubtedly be upset with what a two hour film tries to sum up in a thousand episode television show. But for someone new to the series as a whole, i walked away pleasantly surprised and charmed with what Burton and Depp were able to pull off. Expand
  5. Oct 13, 2012
    I generally like Tim Burton as well as Johnny Depp. This movie was no exception. It is a dark (of course with Tim Burton) comedy with some hint of action/thriller in it. I would not really characterize it as a horror movie even though there are a vampire as well as a witch and a werewolf in it. Of course there is the romance stuff but I personally feel that is really more of a backgroundI generally like Tim Burton as well as Johnny Depp. This movie was no exception. It is a dark (of course with Tim Burton) comedy with some hint of action/thriller in it. I would not really characterize it as a horror movie even though there are a vampire as well as a witch and a werewolf in it. Of course there is the romance stuff but I personally feel that is really more of a background or justification to the plot than anything else.

This is not a magnificent movie but it
  6. May 12, 2012
    I never saw the tv show so have nothing to compare it to except Depp and Burton's previous movies. I thought this was witty and well acted. Depp is excellent as a camp, over-the-top Barnabus Collins. Maybe it's not what fans of the series were expecting (or wanting), but I had fun!
  7. May 15, 2012
    This may be the best example of a trailer that crammed the movie's ONLY decent 2 minutes into a promising preview. The other 111 minutes are deadly dull. In this vague nod to the TV series, Johnny Depp stars as Barnabas Collins, who returns to his home in the 70s after being buried for 200 years. The potential for fish-out-of-water humor is wrung out in a handful of gags (all in theThis may be the best example of a trailer that crammed the movie's ONLY decent 2 minutes into a promising preview. The other 111 minutes are deadly dull. In this vague nod to the TV series, Johnny Depp stars as Barnabas Collins, who returns to his home in the 70s after being buried for 200 years. The potential for fish-out-of-water humor is wrung out in a handful of gags (all in the trailer) and the rest of the proceedings are incredibly tedious and listless. The only thing worth watching is the art direction. Otherwise, this is undoubtedly Tim Burton's worst film ever. Expand
  8. May 11, 2012
    It was okay. It started off good, but then there was too many plot lines and back stories, and it kind of fell apart. It was very rushed, and the characters seemed very superficial. It was like they were trying to cram years of a TV show into one 2 hour movie. I've never seen the TV show, so I don't know if the movie was merely the same premise, or if the whole plot was straight fromIt was okay. It started off good, but then there was too many plot lines and back stories, and it kind of fell apart. It was very rushed, and the characters seemed very superficial. It was like they were trying to cram years of a TV show into one 2 hour movie. I've never seen the TV show, so I don't know if the movie was merely the same premise, or if the whole plot was straight from the TV show, but it sure seemed like I was watching a soap opera. It was extremely melodramatic and soap opera-y. Yes, it was a former soap opera, but I hopeful that the movie would just be using the same premise to create something better and deeper than that. That didn't really happen.

It seemed like the movie was written 8 hours long, and they just cut most of it out and awkwardly patched the rest together. At the beginning, we got so much of Victoria that it seemed like the movie was being told from her point of view, but then she disappears for much of the rest of the movie. It was weird, and I wasn't really feeling the relationship between her and Barnabas. That being said, it was humorous and fairly entertaining...as much as a soap opera can be.
  9. May 15, 2012
    A fun movie but at the same time dramatic and a little horror. Excellent scenery, even the special effects,an amazing make up, as always, a truly stellar cast and a storyline particularly full of vampires, witches, curses and mysteries to solve.
  10. May 13, 2012
    The movie is NOT a comedy. All the "funny" parts are in the trailer. I'm not even sure what genre it belongs in as it isn't scary either. Just kind of a dumb high budget B film you'd expect to see straight to dvd these days.
  11. Jul 3, 2012
    I can't find the Old Burton in this movie. Maybe he is changing his style, I don't know, but I don't like it. I have to admit the mixed all styles: vampire, retro, gothic it's well done...but no more. I am really tired to see Depp doing the same "Jack faces" over and over again. If Burton are producing and directing "kids stuff" is time he public that new, 'cos this movie.... isn't Burtons style.
  12. May 12, 2012
    I liked it much more than I anticipated I would. I was hoping and praying it wouldn't remotely resemble a Pirates film - it doesn't. The acting is excellent - particularly Helena Bonham Carter (as the family psychiatrist) and Bella Heathcoate (as Victoria Winters). The parts are not overplayed like they often are in Burton films. Your head isn't spinning by the third act. But what standsI liked it much more than I anticipated I would. I was hoping and praying it wouldn't remotely resemble a Pirates film - it doesn't. The acting is excellent - particularly Helena Bonham Carter (as the family psychiatrist) and Bella Heathcoate (as Victoria Winters). The parts are not overplayed like they often are in Burton films. Your head isn't spinning by the third act. But what stands out for me is the music - perfectly captures the time period. I was particularly pleased to hear Donovan's "Season of the Witch" and Alice Cooper's "No More Mr. Nice Guy." The movie does the early 70's perfectly.. Sure, it gets a touch slow, and perhaps runs a bit long, but it's a good movie. Expand
  13. May 15, 2012
    The trailers made this movie look like it was going to be funny and entertaining, I'm a huge Helena Bonham Carter, Johnny Depp, and Tim Burton fan, but this movie was bad. There were funny parts but overall a bad film. There was no character development and the story was all over the place. There were way too many flaws in the story for me to be able to like it.
  14. May 16, 2012
    I walked into this film expecting to laugh frequently. As it turns out, a word better fitted to the result would be intermittently. I did enjoy the film. You just need to bear in mind that the majority of punch lines were already delivered in the promotional trailer.
    I am a fan of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. For those of you like me out there this will be worth every penny. Don't waste your money on the IMAX version. This particular film is not improved much by the format.
    This time around Mr. Burton didn't come across as outlandish as in previous films. Perhaps he is residing closer to Earth as he grows in age. Although, my movie date said, and I quote, "this Tim Burton guy must smoke some good stuff."
    Johnny Depp was impeccable in his rendition. Who would expect any less. The guy has something. Some of you out there could only wish.
    Eva Green's character was tons of fun to watch. She gives the movie that extra that makes you want to keep watching. No doubt she had a good laugh playing this character. Let's hope she doesn't take it home with her. Scary.
    Michelle Pfeiffer hasn't been much on the circuit lately, and I wish she did. Her skills are as good as ever in this movie. We miss you girl! Come back more often!
    Everyone else performed as expected. Professional deliveries all around. Just nothing too off the pallet. I'm not sure the writing asked more of them.
    I particularly enjoyed the set design and costumes. The right blend of grandiosity and fantasy without getting too outlandish. Do look around as you walk through this film. You will find interesting treats.
    Tim Burton has always done well using digital effects combined with cinematography to deliver a believable world of fantasy. The film is simply beautiful. Sometimes you just want to hit the magic pause button and stare at the screen for a while. Amazing.
    Make your way to the theatre and watch this film with positive expectations. It will be well worth it. Just don't expect to laugh off the seat of your pants simply because the marketing wants you to believe that. In retrospect, I see clear now that the movie was never intended to be that. But simply another fantastic world delivered by the never-disappointing Burton-Depp team. Thanks guys!
  15. sLm
    Jun 18, 2012
    There were funny moments in the film, and also scary ones (like that of the child disguised as a ghost) but all as a whole, it was a bit boring, progress was slow, too much speaking sometimes, and characters relationships felt a bit superficial, Victoria overall, it was good at first but then she just disappears the whole film, and her relationship with Deep is barely shown. I think theThere were funny moments in the film, and also scary ones (like that of the child disguised as a ghost) but all as a whole, it was a bit boring, progress was slow, too much speaking sometimes, and characters relationships felt a bit superficial, Victoria overall, it was good at first but then she just disappears the whole film, and her relationship with Deep is barely shown. I think the first part and the ending of the film were the best dramatic moments, the rest felt just as filler. Expand
  16. Sep 24, 2012
    Dark shadows: Fun for the elderly, good for those between 30 and 40 years, but not very good for those under 18. Not that I did not like but when I left the cinema did not like anyone but me. In my opinion it is entertaining but little more ... The problem with this movie is that it has not used the original it was.
  17. May 11, 2012
    I don't know what happen with Burton, I remember Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Ed Wood, and The Nightmare Before Christmas, excellent movies, but now he do blockbusters for kids, or really terrible movies, Dark Shadows is a great example. The trailers are really funny, but when you watch the movie, you can watch the bad development, the terrible performances (really? Deep again?) andI don't know what happen with Burton, I remember Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Ed Wood, and The Nightmare Before Christmas, excellent movies, but now he do blockbusters for kids, or really terrible movies, Dark Shadows is a great example. The trailers are really funny, but when you watch the movie, you can watch the bad development, the terrible performances (really? Deep again?) and all the problems that Dark Shadows have. Funny in some moments, but the biggest part of the movie is terrible. Expand
  18. May 11, 2012
    I liked it. I think some of the criticism is valid, however, this IS a movie adapted from a soap opera. It's not supposed to be deep, or especially thought provoking. It's just good campy, vampy fun!
  19. May 11, 2012
    Witty and well crafted with an ingenious interwoven plot as it is not quite a horror film, not quite a romance film while being comedic and seemingly resolute in purpose. Johnny Depp is absolutely amusing and thoroughly entertaining as he tries to apply old world logic to the culture and attitudes of 1972. A bit of a new twist on an old style for Tim Burton. Not to be missed!
  20. May 14, 2012
    I like it. Very good movie. One of best Burton's movies. The story is gorgeous. very good cast, Depp is famous, this role (Barnabas Collins) is really for him
  21. May 12, 2012
    True to the original material in many ways. New and different in ways that do not detract. I thought the soundtrack was great. One of Elfmans best in fact. The look of the movie is appropriately dark and shadowy. Well done. FUN!
  22. May 13, 2012
    Sorry to say this movie stank! For the first time this year I feel cheated out of the ticket price. It's a funny thing, as I usually love Depp/Burton movies. Sorry nothing to spoil really, as all the good scenes were already put in the trailers. Watching this movie was like watching a ceiling fan, for two hours! Whollmoley what were they thinking. I will probably rent it for $1 at redboxSorry to say this movie stank! For the first time this year I feel cheated out of the ticket price. It's a funny thing, as I usually love Depp/Burton movies. Sorry nothing to spoil really, as all the good scenes were already put in the trailers. Watching this movie was like watching a ceiling fan, for two hours! Whollmoley what were they thinking. I will probably rent it for $1 at redbox just to see how it ended. Yes this is the first movie I walked out on in years. Expand
  23. May 28, 2012
    this film was something i was looking forward to see but only got disappointed. this film was great don't get me wrong with that but there was so many things in this film that didn't really seem to make much sense. the story line and the actors were done well but to be honest i would of rather watched Sweeney Todd instead. the ending was shallow and the finish was too quick. the next filmthis film was something i was looking forward to see but only got disappointed. this film was great don't get me wrong with that but there was so many things in this film that didn't really seem to make much sense. the story line and the actors were done well but to be honest i would of rather watched Sweeney Todd instead. the ending was shallow and the finish was too quick. the next film to this would be something to look out for..because i hope it picks its self up. Expand
  24. May 13, 2012
    What a piece of crud. This movie sucked (pardon the pun) almost as much as the Twilight films. Someone please make Burton and Depp from making movies together. A TV show with over 1,000 episodes that ran for years cannot be made into a condensed two hour movie. Don't waist your time. Go see Avengers again, like many people did.
  25. May 11, 2012
    I don't usually like Tim Burton's movies and Dark Shadows is in between. I liked it but then i didn't like it. Overall it was an ok film, and nothing more. Johnney Depp was his usual strange but comedic self in another one of his collaborations with Tim Burton, but he didn't even feel like the main character throughout. This movie was so clustered and packed with different plots andI don't usually like Tim Burton's movies and Dark Shadows is in between. I liked it but then i didn't like it. Overall it was an ok film, and nothing more. Johnney Depp was his usual strange but comedic self in another one of his collaborations with Tim Burton, but he didn't even feel like the main character throughout. This movie was so clustered and packed with different plots and narrators. One of the main storylines which was between Barnabus and Victoria was only granted about one or two scenes and both were very brief at that. I found myself laughing quite a few times which is about the only positive i can think of from this film other than Depps performance. The ending to the film was just plain strange. It moved from one new story, to and old story, to another new story, and then back to the old one. This film was just filled with too many storylines and different narrations. Theres only two reasons why i would recomend this movie and thats if you're a Depp fan or a Tim Burton fan. If not, do not bother with this movie, even if you were a fan of the original tv series. 4/10 Expand
  26. May 12, 2012
    Long time fan of the original series and loved the new movie. There are even lines lifted direct from Jonathan Frid's portrayal of Barnabas. Wonderful mash up of old and new!
  27. May 12, 2012
    Dark Shadows takes advantage of the interesting premise. The story could have been a bit more organized and the little bit of action could have been better, but it is consistently funny throughout.
  28. May 13, 2012
    To be honest I thought this was a comedy film. But when I saw it it was just a basic vampire story with a 1970's twist in it. It lacks from a few thing and the ending was silly. But other than that it was okay. Dark Shadows 5.7/10
  29. May 13, 2012
    It was quite funny and intriguing, but then things are a little bit confusing at some points of the movie, when I can't tell the main purpose of some of the characters to the story, if you get what I mean. It was terribly confusing to those who do not know about the original like me, especially from the climax up to the end. It was very well-made though, as expected from a Tim Burton film,It was quite funny and intriguing, but then things are a little bit confusing at some points of the movie, when I can't tell the main purpose of some of the characters to the story, if you get what I mean. It was terribly confusing to those who do not know about the original like me, especially from the climax up to the end. It was very well-made though, as expected from a Tim Burton film, and some actors were quite good. My exact rating is 6.5, but I'm all right with this rating. Expand
  30. May 13, 2012
    Probably it's not the best collaboration between Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, Dark Shadows was a little more than a disappointment. The laughs were a little funny, but Eva Green sure looks smokin' hot as Angelique. Although some of the scenes were too dark with less violent a little bit, but I'm not sure if fans haven't been familiar with the short-lived soap opera cult back in the lateProbably it's not the best collaboration between Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, Dark Shadows was a little more than a disappointment. The laughs were a little funny, but Eva Green sure looks smokin' hot as Angelique. Although some of the scenes were too dark with less violent a little bit, but I'm not sure if fans haven't been familiar with the short-lived soap opera cult back in the late 60's. I watched every Burton/Depp movies like Edward Scissorhands, Sweeney Todd, Alice in Wonderland, and Sleepy Hollow. So Dark Shadows is good, but it needs a makeover. I'll wait for a rental. Expand

1. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 18, 2012
    Along with Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson, Burton is one of the few magi who know what can be dredged up, even now, from the cauldron of special effects. [21 May 2012, p.80]
    The screenplay by Seth Grahame-Smith is witless and meandering, though the witlessness wouldn't matter so much if it moved, or the meandering if it were droll.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 11, 2012
    The film is best when it focuses on Barnabas's culture shocks in this brave new world. Depp has fun with the character's bafflements without camping it up. What's missing overall is the sense of fun Burton once evinced in films like "Beetlejuice."