Dark Skies

7.3

1. Apr 8, 2013
    Yay! We have crappy effects with horror mixup! Good for you! I think Dark Skies wasn't really worth it. It's bland and boring nothing too dazzling about a stupid horrible family. Aliens! No just CROWS. CROWS make damage to your house and take over the skies. Cool and bad.
  2. Jun 4, 2013
    This film is OK but there is nothing new or overly inventive here. This film is not a bad watch, but they basically take different things from other invasion movies and they turn it into this film.
  3. May 25, 2014
    Anything that has to do with aliens i'm in. I Seen the trailer for this while i was at the theater and i called what it was write off the bat "ALIENS YO" even though it didn't look that good and while the film does the whole possession type thing i didn't find it annoying like the other films that have come out the past couple years about people being possessed. The film is not scary atAnything that has to do with aliens i'm in. I Seen the trailer for this while i was at the theater and i called what it was write off the bat "ALIENS YO" even though it didn't look that good and while the film does the whole possession type thing i didn't find it annoying like the other films that have come out the past couple years about people being possessed. The film is not scary at all and is rare on the "JUMP SCARS" scenes

The acting and the dialog both were done pretty good the actor did their part though the whole (Jesse Barrett) story was funny just a typical kid growing up =D Overall i give it a 6.0
  4. May 25, 2013
    The ingredients are delivered without much style of flair, and the results of the movie makes for a pretty bland dish. Stewart does possesses talent--but he just hasn't created a satisfying film with it. In all three instances "Priest" (2011), "Legion" (2012) and now "Dark Skies." The potential for a compelling story line and terror is there--but not achieved to satisfaction.

In the

In the Barrett household, something is seriously amiss. Is it that unemployed architect Daniel (Hamilton) is quietly panicked about finding a job while the mortgage bills pile up? That his marriage to Lacy (Keri Russell) is falling apart, turning their two sons (Dakota Goyo, Kadan Rockett) into stress cases? The wife is trying to pick up the financial slack of her laid-off architect husband (Josh Hamilton) by working as a real estate agent. Their two young sons start to notice odd things happening around the house. Things like snatching photos from frames--and eventually moving on in for their real goal--a child snatching. The audience has too much time to wonder why are the aliens here to bother playing tricks on this suburban family.The biggest problem with "Dark Skies" is that Stewart can never quite decide what story he is telling a slow-burn horror parable, or paranoid invasion flick? Whether to focus on this character or that one while struggling to string together scares. Regardless, the pacing is tedious and boring--and the action is almost non-existant. Though it is saved in part by the performances of Russell and Hamilton, with a effective supporting turn by J.K. Simmons. The clouded storytelling in "Dark Skies" keeps the film from becoming more than a bunch of disjointed moments, and eventually settles for a ridiculous conclusion.
  5. Feb 23, 2013
    I'm generally a fan of alien encounter movies and this one is not bad by any means but not that fantastic a thriller either. Unfortunately the "scares" are mainly a few scenes that make you jump. However, I found the story to be fairly engaging keeping my interest till the end. What keeps this movie from being a higher score in my opinion is that in comparison to other fantastic alienI'm generally a fan of alien encounter movies and this one is not bad by any means but not that fantastic a thriller either. Unfortunately the "scares" are mainly a few scenes that make you jump. However, I found the story to be fairly engaging keeping my interest till the end. What keeps this movie from being a higher score in my opinion is that in comparison to other fantastic alien movies like "Signs" it just falls short in the key aspects of a great suspense/thriller with aliens. Expand
  6. May 7, 2013
    Just boring. Offers nothing new to the genre. Some scenes had tension, but overall falls flat. I hope one day they will make something original in the genre, something that offers a new perspective to the subject. The acting was okay, but the whole movie was dragged out to 97 minutes, yet everything could be told in 20 minutes. We only see the aliens 5 minutes, and their motivations areJust boring. Offers nothing new to the genre. Some scenes had tension, but overall falls flat. I hope one day they will make something original in the genre, something that offers a new perspective to the subject. The acting was okay, but the whole movie was dragged out to 97 minutes, yet everything could be told in 20 minutes. We only see the aliens 5 minutes, and their motivations are totally unclear (they are extraterrestrials so we are not supposed to understand it...but I think their actions should make at least some sense. They can build space ships to travel light years, yet they pranking and scaring humans...) Not recommended. Expand
  7. Apr 14, 2013
    Good, scary but poor pacing and poor VFX but good scary as hell time!
  8. Sep 5, 2014
    In an ocean of horrible movies this horrible movie wasn't really all that bad by comparison. I am interested in UFO's and I am curious to hear what other people have to say about them etc. I don't know if I believe that people are abducted by them and this films basically about UFO abductions. There was a crispness to the film that I put down to the new technology used to shoot moviesIn an ocean of horrible movies this horrible movie wasn't really all that bad by comparison. I am interested in UFO's and I am curious to hear what other people have to say about them etc. I don't know if I believe that people are abducted by them and this films basically about UFO abductions. There was a crispness to the film that I put down to the new technology used to shoot movies today. I thought the ending was a bit weak and it seemed that the family was subsequently being investigated after one of their sons disappears at the end. That created a funny ending. Not ha ha funny-weird funny. I think it is better to be less obvious when dealing with this type of subject matter-the film was a bit too obvious. Like they say, a good movie is 'a slice of life.' It was that. Expand
  9. Jun 4, 2013
    It’s the kind of movie you watch, enjoy and then forget about its existence. The suspense is well maintained, and the ending has a nice twist, I would recommend it for those days you have nothing better to do and wanna spend the whole day watching movies.
  10. Jul 18, 2013
    Not at all is this movie bad, but its not great either. The movie is slow but that's how it gets its effect on the target audience. Its certainly better than most pg-13 movies out there. The acting is average from all accept Keri Russell she does a great job. Definitely worth a watch if your interested in extraterrestrials.
  11. Apr 25, 2014
    Just watched the final thirty minutes of Dark Skies. That was enough. My immediate thought at the conclusion was this is an extremely edited version of the first 3 episodes of the 2002 Taken series. One of the pivotal characters even has the same name, physical stature and age as the former. Some suspense, however if you're one of those who likes everything tied up in a bow, you WILL beJust watched the final thirty minutes of Dark Skies. That was enough. My immediate thought at the conclusion was this is an extremely edited version of the first 3 episodes of the 2002 Taken series. One of the pivotal characters even has the same name, physical stature and age as the former. Some suspense, however if you're one of those who likes everything tied up in a bow, you WILL be disappointed. The only thing more terrifying than the suggestion of what happens after the conclusion, is that the writer(s) figured, "I'll wait 10 years shorten it down to 2 hours, release it as a feature(?) motion picture, collect 20M and call it a day." I'm surprised somebody wasn't knocking on they're door. Steven? You be the judge. K Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Sobczynski
    Sep 9, 2014
    In extending itself to reach a conventional feature length, however, it becomes a below-average programmer in which brief moments of interest are interrupted by long stretches of boredom.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Mar 25, 2013
    As a shocker, Scott Stewart’s (Priest) film is solid, but it’s the thoroughly depressing backdrop that you’ll take away.
  3. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Feb 27, 2013
    More chilling than terrifying, this movie’s predatory aliens are creatures that mostly mess with people’s heads prior to abducting them.