8.7

1. Dec 16, 2010
    Absolutely the best sub movie of all time.... I could actually imagine the smells and rotten food. Terrific performances... terrific everything!!!!!!!

This is a must see or you have truly missed something great!
  2. Aug 2, 2011
    This movie would have been awfully boring it wasn`t as scary as it is. The first time I watched it I had to take breaks because I couldn`t take the tension. The claustrophobia of this film is something really special. We sit in half- darkness most of the time anticipating hull sounds. The story is simple, though it`s just secondary to the main part and that is the Uboat. This tin coffin reminds us of everything we`d like never to experience in our lives. And yet there were real poeple volunteering to serve onboard of those coffins. Right to the end that history showed most of them were destroyed in action. For some reason the German actors really play it well. I mean this couldn`t have been done so good if they were average. Everything is believable here - the effects (as few of them as there are) are great, the submarine external views underwater are outright scary, the music perfectly goes with the atmosphere. Expand
  3. Nov 13, 2012
    Wolfgang Petersen creates a wonderful and exciting film in Das Boot. I had never watched the film until today. I watched the equivalent aviation version 'Shady Lady' which was compared to Das Boot and hence my late arrival at the time.

Das Boot is so powerful, wonderful characters and tension. An excellent 9/10

Unlike Hollywood's hygienic undersea dramas, Das Boot graphically depicts the nasty intimacy of a long mission.
    One of the most suspenseful films of all time, its wartime action setting makes it easy to forget it's also one of the most spiritually righteous. [Director's Cut]
    The film has no qualities beyond its formal polish--and its careful avoidance (or rather, displacement) of the moral and political issues involved can seem too crafty, too convenient.