7.6

1. Apr 30, 2015
    An Epic among epics, its one of the most important submarine films that must be take into account.

based on a heart pounding biography of life on a German U-boat in the middle of the atlantic during WW2, its so intense and chilling in war combat you can imagine what it must be like stuck in a tin can in the bottom of the ocean waiting for fear to strike. In the end I had no whose side I was rooting for.

I think this a good film to tell the terror and agony the germans experienced from a better perspective in naval warfare, that you be hoping that at least we can live a happier lives than them in a safer world of peace and tranquility never again the horrors you will experience in this brilliant monumental epic C
  2. Mar 6, 2015
    I consider Wolfgang Petersen to be one of my favorite film directors, and "Das Boot" is probably my most favorite of his career. "Das Boot" portrays life on U-96, as accurate as possible, leaving no room for creative liberties, even if the submarine sank later in the war.
  3. Jan 21, 2015
    Brilliantly Gothic, Chillingly Sincere and Deeply Spiritual. Wolfgang Peterson has presented the audiences with one of the most brutally moving war movies ever made. The plot comes second, the exhaustive and asphyxiating battle comes, first. This is what every war movie should aim to be. True to its characters and true to the war. Poetry and Repugnance walk hand-in -hand here.
  4. Nov 13, 2012
    Wolfgang Petersen creates a wonderful and exciting film in Das Boot. I had never watched the film until today. I watched the equivalent aviation version 'Shady Lady' which was compared to Das Boot and hence my late arrival at the time.

Das Boot is so powerful, wonderful characters and tension. An excellent 9/10
  5. Aug 2, 2011
    This movie would have been awfully boring it wasn`t as scary as it is. The first time I watched it I had to take breaks because I couldn`t take the tension. The claustrophobia of this film is something really special. We sit in half- darkness most of the time anticipating hull sounds. The story is simple, though it`s just secondary to the main part and that is the Uboat. This tin coffinThis movie would have been awfully boring it wasn`t as scary as it is. The first time I watched it I had to take breaks because I couldn`t take the tension. The claustrophobia of this film is something really special. We sit in half- darkness most of the time anticipating hull sounds. The story is simple, though it`s just secondary to the main part and that is the Uboat. This tin coffin reminds us of everything we`d like never to experience in our lives. And yet there were real poeple volunteering to serve onboard of those coffins. Right to the end that history showed most of them were destroyed in action. For some reason the German actors really play it well. I mean this couldn`t have been done so good if they were average. Everything is believable here - the effects (as few of them as there are) are great, the submarine external views underwater are outright scary, the music perfectly goes with the atmosphere. Expand
  6. Dec 16, 2010
    Absolutely the best sub movie of all time.... I could actually imagine the smells and rotten food. Terrific performances... terrific everything!!!!!!!

This is a must see or you have truly missed something great!

Unlike Hollywood's hygienic undersea dramas, Das Boot graphically depicts the nasty intimacy of a long mission.
    One of the most suspenseful films of all time, its wartime action setting makes it easy to forget it's also one of the most spiritually righteous. [Director's Cut]
    The film has no qualities beyond its formal polish--and its careful avoidance (or rather, displacement) of the moral and political issues involved can seem too crafty, too convenient.