5.8

1. NateF.
    Apr 15, 2010
    Funny and coherent, "Date Night," proves to be hallarious at times with a relatively sensible emotional poigniencey that counterweights a seemingly outrageous mad-cap adventure to take down crime and curruption in the Big City. Sex, action, and awkwardness abound, this movie equitably manages the intangible subtlties of Tina Fae's comedic prowess with Steve Carrel's big-budget, Funny and coherent, "Date Night," proves to be hallarious at times with a relatively sensible emotional poigniencey that counterweights a seemingly outrageous mad-cap adventure to take down crime and curruption in the Big City. Sex, action, and awkwardness abound, this movie equitably manages the intangible subtlties of Tina Fae's comedic prowess with Steve Carrel's big-budget, brick-and-mortar performances. Couples will enjoy "Date Night" because of its specific appeal towards both sexes meanwhile, shedding light on the humor and more substancial infrastructural archetypes surrounding healthy heterosexual relationships. 7.3. Expand
  2. Kylet
    Apr 13, 2010
    Yeah, honestly, you can tell people were purposely trying to bring the user rating down. It was at like 3.2 on the day it opened, but no one was posting reviews. Anyways, this movie works pretty well considering the history of the director. It was riding that thin line between stupid and too stupid. But it succeeded, mostly because the movie was focused on the two leads, who have great chemistry.
  3. Aug 11, 2010
    Steve Carell and Tina Fey are effortlessly hilarious, and you get the sense that they could have done more for this film if given greater control of the somewhat limited script.
  4. Nov 9, 2010
    I don't get the low reviews? I thought this was an all around good movie. Carell and Fey were both very funny and the film had a solid story line. Worth a watch.
  5. Dec 2, 2010
    The first time i watched it it was funny and i thought it was well preformed. The second time i watched it I thought it was HILARIOUS!! This was a great performance from two actors that really know each other well and made it the best they could. Certain areas were a little dragging but overall it was very good.
  6. Sep 19, 2010
    The plot is a little bit weak, but Tina Fey and Steve Carell brought the whole movie up. They were hilarious together. It wouldn't be good if they weren't the cast.
  7. DavidS.
    Apr 18, 2010
    Don't believe the negative reviews. This is a berry funny movie. Trust me; I know comedy. This was good.
  8. Dec 26, 2010
    Don't listen to the negative reviews, this movie was fantastic. I couldn't stop laughing, and the plot wasn't bad either. Un-realistic? For sure. But that doesn't mean it's a bad movie.
  9. janh
    Apr 9, 2010
    A wonderful getaway for those who are married or have been married. it's a familiar situation (dull marrige) with a great twist!
  10. PennyL
    Apr 11, 2010
    Hilarious! I won't hesitate to buy a ticket for any movie these two talented and very funny people appear in....together, that is!
  11. AndrewP.
    Apr 10, 2010
    While its story and action sequences are nothing spectacular, the actings provided by Fey, Carell, and the host of supporting characters such as Taraji. P Henson, Ray Liotta, James Franco, Mila Kunis, Common, and others more than make up for its director's flaws. Furthermore, you will laugh your butt off the entire time.
  12. JohnC.
    Apr 10, 2010
    It's hilarious, I don't get the hate.
  13. AndrewA.
    Apr 9, 2010
    Funniest movie of the year! Tina Fey and Steve Carell are true comedic gold!
  14. TerryM
    Jun 1, 2010
    One of the funniest movies i`ve seen in years. Carell and Fey are a fantastic on-screen couple and their escapade is highlighted like a Woody Allen/ Coen Bros cut `N` shut. Some of the hand-over-mouth funniest set pieces and one of the best chase scenes of recent memory. Oh and robot pole dancing?!!! Fantastic stuff.
  15. MichaelC
    Apr 11, 2010
    Very Good (B+) movie. Could have been better with a few more over the top moments. Steve Carell is a very funny man.
  16. ChadS
    Apr 11, 2010
    The success of "Date Night" is directly attributed to the chemistry between Steve Carell and Tina Fey, who despite being A-list stars, could be your neighbors, or the handsome couple you meet at a party. Playing Phil and Claire Foster, the relatively unglamorous NBC headliners of "The Office" and "30 Rock", respectively, have a middle class air about them, which allows the pair to blend The success of "Date Night" is directly attributed to the chemistry between Steve Carell and Tina Fey, who despite being A-list stars, could be your neighbors, or the handsome couple you meet at a party. Playing Phil and Claire Foster, the relatively unglamorous NBC headliners of "The Office" and "30 Rock", respectively, have a middle class air about them, which allows the pair to blend in seamlessly among the other patrons at the family restaurant where their characters listlessly feast on a middle class dinner of potato skins and salmon. Phil is like the second-person narrator in the Talking Heads' track "Once in a Lifetime", the David Byrne-written masterwork about how ennui can creep into even the best of marriages. Friday night is "date night", and it's the "same as it ever was". Later in the film, Phil almost literally says, "This is not my beautiful wife," after Claire flirts with a shirtless Mark Wahlberg, who not only emasculates Phil, but half of North America's males, as well. Too bad this well-oiled comedy team wasn't cast in a more ambitious film along the lines of Albert Brooks' "Lost in America", or even Ted Demme's "The Ref". They connect with each other, and the audience. Thankfully, the pair's impeccable comic timing and lighthearted temperament help prevent their Kafkaesque situation from becoming too heavy-handed and steeped in testesterone. So often in action-comedies, spectacle(gunplay, car chases, etc...) neutralizes, and ultimately, stamps out comedy(for example: "Beverly Hills Cop 2"), because its characters in peril end up acknowledging the danger around them with too much reverence. Except for one overlong car chase scene involving a taxi cab(as if Tony Scott guest-directed a segment for Jim Jarmusch's "Night on Earth"), "Date Night" never forgets that it's a comedy. Both Carell and Fey strike the right balance of gravity and levity throughout their ordeal, which also staves off the excessive silliness so common in modern comedies, where the narcissistic performer often resorts to schtick. They're scared, but not so scared that their absurdist banter and goofy antics are replaced by kinesis(running, dodging bullets, etc.). In addition, both Carell and Fey(far from being narccisists) generously allow Wahlberg, and especially James Franco and Mila Kunis, get laughs, big laughs. "Date Night" is predictable, but harmless infectious fun. Since the two television veterans are so appealing together, however, the moviegoer wishes the Fosters would quit their jobs, buy a winnebago, and drive across America with Steppenwolf cranked all the way to eleven. They could also be the people that David Byrne sings about on the "Remain in Light" track "Once in a Lifetime". Expand
  17. JohnnyM.
    Apr 11, 2010
    Much funnier than I expected and the out takes at the end were hilarious. Let's face it. There are no great films out there right now, so have some fun and see "Date Night."
  18. karenp.
    Apr 10, 2010
    Funniest movie since When Harry Met Sally. Truly hysterical in places.
  19. MichaelB.
    Apr 10, 2010
    Not only is Date Night hilarious from start to finish it keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire 98 minutes. I was afraid that if I left for a refill or a bathroom break that I would miss a exciting or hilarious moment.
  20. JameyG
    Apr 12, 2010
    I thought that this movie was frickin Hilarious. I love this movie so much that I'm seeing it again
  21. MattJ
    Apr 10, 2010
    I really think this movie deserves a better rating. Really funny and fresh. Good for a first date.
  22. RickA
    Apr 15, 2010
    I thought this movie was fun, humorous, well acted and pretty good story line. I appreciate movies that do not depend on a lot of vulgarity as a means of communicating the story. It was worth the money I spent to see it.
  23. LeeE
    Apr 19, 2010
    Tina Fey and Steve Carell have great chemistry, without being sophomoric these guys bring a predictable movie up a notch and create a memorable funny film. On a par with great comedy duos like Hepburn and Tracy. The dance sequence was particularly funny - I was laughing from beginning to end - it's not easy to entertain a cynic like me with humor - they did it!
  24. DannyW
    Apr 20, 2010
    I thought it was a well thought funny movie which was both filled with action, amazing comedy and outstanding acting. I saw this with my girlfriend and we loved it. we couldn't stop laughing. Go see it! its not just a date movie it's for anytime
  25. DonnieB
    Apr 17, 2010
    In hollywood today, there are 3 types of romantic comedys. The "lets put in a bunch of famous people, give it a few oscars, and call it funny", the "let's just have a bunch of sex thrown into there", and the "lets give you the whole plot in 2 minutes and make you watch it for 2 hours" movies. I'll be honest, this movie did use the power of stardom and sex a little over my taste, In hollywood today, there are 3 types of romantic comedys. The "lets put in a bunch of famous people, give it a few oscars, and call it funny", the "let's just have a bunch of sex thrown into there", and the "lets give you the whole plot in 2 minutes and make you watch it for 2 hours" movies. I'll be honest, this movie did use the power of stardom and sex a little over my taste, but not excessively. Overall, I enjoyed this move. It was the first movie in years that I actually laughed because it was supposed to be funny. Usually, I laugh because movies are so badly made, they're funny. This is how romantic comedys should be. To put this movie in this chatagory would be insulting; it was in a catagory all it's own. Steve and Tina made a relatable, interesting, and laugh your butt off couple who really had the worst luck of all time. It delt with issues married people face every day, but not to the point where it became a melodrama. It was just a laugh your butt off good time. My only critism is the prostitute club toward the end. Yes, Steve and Tina pole dancing made me wanna pee my pants, but it was badly handled. It showed way too much of the prostitues, and not in a comical way. It was in a realistic way that made me wanna vomit. William's weird sex fettish and the ugly prostitues did not add to the film, it lessened it. I have to give props to J.B. Smoove & his performance. He took the cab scene from great to one of the best comedic scenes I have ever seen. Good going, JP! In conclusion, wait until it comes out on dvd and rent it at 12am that day. You'll be glad you did. Expand
  26. justinO
    Apr 25, 2010
    I thought the movie was hilarious. Im legitimately surprise but the current rating. Really funny i would recommend to all of my friends.
  27. Oct 4, 2010
    If you are going to see this movie thinking that it will be slap-stick funny, you may be disappointed, I really liked this movie, it was very funny but it is funny in a more subtle way than other comedies. Much of the humor is based on real life experiences in a way similar to what you would see on the tv show "modern family" which makes it enjoyable because you can relate to Steve &If you are going to see this movie thinking that it will be slap-stick funny, you may be disappointed, I really liked this movie, it was very funny but it is funny in a more subtle way than other comedies. Much of the humor is based on real life experiences in a way similar to what you would see on the tv show "modern family" which makes it enjoyable because you can relate to Steve & Tina's characters (early scenes!). Steve Carell & Tina Fey do an excellent job of playing the normal married couple whose life has become somewhat mundane, there is plenty to like here, I'm really surprised at the negative reviews. It is even funnier the second time I saw it. Expand
  28. Sep 27, 2011
    Originally I didn't like this movie as much, but after watching it again it had its moments. At time's it lagged a bit but for the most part you were kept in the thrill of the moment not knowing what to expect next.
  29. Oct 12, 2010
    It's clear that Fey and Carell are trying to make the most of the material given to them, and they are mostly successful in rescuing what would otherwise me a very mediocre movie. Both leads are funny, charming, and realistic, proving their comedy chops. This definitely belongs in the same company as Fey's other film, "Baby Mama"--funny, but not "30 Rock"-funny.
  30. Mar 8, 2011
    Date Night is a hilarious movie that really captures how not so young anymore couples act, the great chemistry between the leads makes it even better, it's ultimately a very hilarious and enjoyable movie.
  31. Aug 1, 2011
    A married couple (Steve Carrel and Tina Fey) stuck in the routine of life with two kids and separate jobs, have hit a rut. They have their same date night, at the same restaurant, with the same meals and the staff knows their names. They yearn for more, but seem to have lost the ability to really connect with each other. After hearing their close friends, who they thought had a greatA married couple (Steve Carrel and Tina Fey) stuck in the routine of life with two kids and separate jobs, have hit a rut. They have their same date night, at the same restaurant, with the same meals and the staff knows their names. They yearn for more, but seem to have lost the ability to really connect with each other. After hearing their close friends, who they thought had a great marriage, are splitting up, they decide to have a fancier date night in the big city. They take a reservation at a fancy restaurant for a couple that didnâ Expand
  32. Nov 16, 2011
    Date Night is a hilarious and funny comedy film that features great and comical performances from Tina Fey and Steve Carell.
  33. Jan 3, 2012
    I really enjoyed the film. The only bad parts are the 2 sappy parts in which Steve's character questions if his wife would leave him if given the chance because of their boring life. Then at the end in which Steve's character says he would relive his life the exact same way if given the chance. Besides those two parts, It was a rather good comedy that was filled with good cameos and goodI really enjoyed the film. The only bad parts are the 2 sappy parts in which Steve's character questions if his wife would leave him if given the chance because of their boring life. Then at the end in which Steve's character says he would relive his life the exact same way if given the chance. Besides those two parts, It was a rather good comedy that was filled with good cameos and good supporting actors. Expand
  34. Aug 27, 2014
    Pure entertainment. Tina Fey and Steve Carell are magic together. Whether or not the comedy is effortless, it's sharp and hilarious. Date Night is one of those films we don't want to end.
  35. Jun 4, 2012
    Somewhat comedic. I liked it, but didnt expect anything that happened, i wont spoil, but lets just say go in with an open mind, cause everything happens at random. Not as funny as i thought it would be, but it was good. Overall very worth watching. Some suggestive parts, so i dont suggest children watch. And if your a teen, dont watch i with your parents. Awkward.
  36. Oct 31, 2012
    Very subjective but I love Carrell. Never seen Fey before but love this movie. Wahlberg is awesome. 10/10
    Carrell is genius and camio by James Franco and Milan Kunis is fantastic. District attorney should get a pervert Oscar and Ray Liotta is so believable also. This film is the best midweek movie I've seen ever. Totally miffed I didn't go to a cinema to see it.
  37. May 9, 2015
    Carell and Fey's chemistry just chews up the screen with funny humor, great action. Director Shawn Levy's direction is to raunchy and he action was okay. Grade B

1. These talented performers star in two of the wittiest, most sophisticated sitcoms on the air, but for this movie pairing they're stuck with an endlessly silly plot line and overblown physical mayhem that is instantly forgettable. The fact that they make it so funny nonetheless is a testament to their abilities.
  2. Reviewed by: Lael Loewenstein
    An uncommonly engaging date movie.
  3. Reviewed by: Karina Longworth
    A jumble of genres, tones, and styles, Date Night ultimately strains to be a serious movie about marriage, with one joke: that, even when surrounded by excitement, Claire and Phil revert to being dull. But in practice, their dullness is just dull.