Universal Pictures | Release Date: March 19, 2004
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 516 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
K.J.Nov 23, 2004
I thought this was a joke. One of the worst movies ever made, and it discraces the original. It was decent until the pregnant demon gave birth to a baby demon. You're supposed to be scared, but I was laughing hysterically.
DavidB.Mar 21, 2004
Fun.
K.H.Mar 22, 2004
Oddly fun. The first 30 minutes were extremely scary, but after that was just good ol' fashioned zombie baby head shooting!
DamianT.Mar 22, 2004
Mind you, I am a zombie/apocolypse movie lover-I thought this film was fan-freaking-tastic! If you allow it to, this film with absorb you into its world of desperation and frenzy. Part of why I dug this movie so, is that I liked so many of Mind you, I am a zombie/apocolypse movie lover-I thought this film was fan-freaking-tastic! If you allow it to, this film with absorb you into its world of desperation and frenzy. Part of why I dug this movie so, is that I liked so many of the characters-and thats something that hasn't really been happening for me lately. You can't go wrong with this film. It starts of intense, mantains the intensity, and ends intense. Ignore the metascore. This movie is a breath of fresh air! Expand
M.S.Mar 23, 2004
Great movie. It has plenty of action, and a good story. The only reason I gave it a 9 was for the nudity. I didn't see the point, I know it's a R rated, but it was pointless. The movie is very rough, but I wouldn't recommend Great movie. It has plenty of action, and a good story. The only reason I gave it a 9 was for the nudity. I didn't see the point, I know it's a R rated, but it was pointless. The movie is very rough, but I wouldn't recommend it for kids. The effects are good and disturbing(Baby) but it added to the suspense, It is alot better than the original, maybe I'm too young (Maybe you like it for sentimental or generation reasons) but the original Dawn of the Dead sucks. But I'm not reviewing it. I recommend for mature audiences to see it, it will truely frighten you. Ving (the cop) is the best and I like the Johnny Cash song for the intro, it fit the theme (End of the World). Expand
SamL.Mar 26, 2004
Wow, this movie was great fun. Funny, bloody, eerie, and keeps you on the edge of your seat. I'm seeing it again!
JoseoY.Mar 26, 2004
This movie was great fun. I'm not a big fan of horror movies but this one is the best I've seen so far in the new millenium. I also happen to love the fact that there's no boring build-up in the start of the movie, because the This movie was great fun. I'm not a big fan of horror movies but this one is the best I've seen so far in the new millenium. I also happen to love the fact that there's no boring build-up in the start of the movie, because the horror starts at the beginning of the movie! How cool is that? Expand
JohnM.Mar 28, 2004
As a true lover of the original 3 Romero films and horror movies in general, it really surprised me how good this movie is. It has been a long time since a horror movie has given me genuine scares and that's great! For those who are As a true lover of the original 3 Romero films and horror movies in general, it really surprised me how good this movie is. It has been a long time since a horror movie has given me genuine scares and that's great! For those who are disappointed by the films lack of "social commentary" I suggest you go re-watch the self-important, sleep inducing '28 Days Later' which is so concerned with its 'lesson' that it forgets it's a horror movie halfway thru. Me? I enjoy being scared. Expand
JonD.Jan 24, 2005
I hate it the way people wont give this a good score because its not so much better than the first that doesnt matter because people dont go and see a movie to compare it to its previous they go and see it to be entertained. This movie is I hate it the way people wont give this a good score because its not so much better than the first that doesnt matter because people dont go and see a movie to compare it to its previous they go and see it to be entertained. This movie is highly entertaining, funny, and scary. so yes this movie is very good and you should see it if you havent already. Expand
GordonM.Jul 24, 2006
This is a really good zombie movie, and I recommend it to EVERYONE! It is really cool how the zombies can run and how you can only kill them by shooting them in the head. This is the best film ever made. Alongside The Ring.
RirenJan 28, 2007
It's dumber than the original, and it wants to be. The drama is overwrought at times, but the real strengths are the manic action and outrageous moments. The special effects are outstanding, relying on topnotch prosthetics instead of It's dumber than the original, and it wants to be. The drama is overwrought at times, but the real strengths are the manic action and outrageous moments. The special effects are outstanding, relying on topnotch prosthetics instead of CGI. If you like splatter cinema and aren't hoping for the rebirth of Romero in a remake, pick this up. Better yet, watch it with friends. It turns into a laugh riot surprisingly easily with the right crowd. Expand
imthenoobOct 20, 2016
The best zombie film since the release of the original Night of the Living Dead. It's a remake that flips the script and is totally original in it's own unique way. It's a must watch for any zombie fan.
TheWalrus2000Mar 9, 2013
At times Dawn of the Dead can be a bit skeptical. But overall it was really horrific and gorey nature which is what most people look for in a good not comedic zombie movie.
talisencrwJan 16, 2016
Though I love both 'Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole' and 'Watchmen', I actually think Snyder's remake of George A. Romero's 'Dawn of the Dead' may be his finest and most personal work of the three. Usually I stay away fromThough I love both 'Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole' and 'Watchmen', I actually think Snyder's remake of George A. Romero's 'Dawn of the Dead' may be his finest and most personal work of the three. Usually I stay away from contemporary remakes of the classics like the plague, because to me, atmosphere is everything, and today's directors tend to significantly miss that point, but sometimes I just can't stop myself, and it helped that two recent character actors I really respect (fellow Canadian Sarah Polley and Ving Rhames) played significant roles. Though I still prefer the satirical angle on consumerism Romero utilized in his 70's original (and for that reason alone it would make a great double bill with 'Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom', at least from Pier Paolo Pasolini's philosophical context), this is head and shoulders (shot, of course, so it doesn't come back as a zombie) above other remakes of this era. I wish Snyder still had the sense of hunger that permeates this first film of his (pardon the pun ;) )... Expand
supermann234Dec 8, 2014
This movie is a good thriller movie which shows what its like to be in a zombie apocalypse. It may not be that scary, but it is a good movie overall. It starts off with a scary intro which also has an interesting storyline. Unlike most horrorThis movie is a good thriller movie which shows what its like to be in a zombie apocalypse. It may not be that scary, but it is a good movie overall. It starts off with a scary intro which also has an interesting storyline. Unlike most horror movies, this movie has a good ending. However like most zombie movies, it has a common fault-Not using the word 'zombie'. I think this is probably the best zombie film compared to other zombie films. Expand
ydnar4Nov 22, 2014
I can say with complete honesty that this remake of Dawn of the Dead is probably my favorite remake of any horror film. Its just a classic zombie flick and a must watch for any zombie lover. A strong cast is on display as well as some veryI can say with complete honesty that this remake of Dawn of the Dead is probably my favorite remake of any horror film. Its just a classic zombie flick and a must watch for any zombie lover. A strong cast is on display as well as some very realistic zombies. Expand
AdsonOct 12, 2014
Great remake, scary and the story keep catching the viewer until the end. I liked the acting, I don't think that I would change something. That's ok..
SiAScORCHNov 5, 2014
I think this movie is a lot better than the ratings show. It kept the same basic story line as the original one, just with better technology. It has some good actors in it, and at times it made you laugh. In most cases it's hard to have aI think this movie is a lot better than the ratings show. It kept the same basic story line as the original one, just with better technology. It has some good actors in it, and at times it made you laugh. In most cases it's hard to have a remake as good as the original but this one did the job correctly. I would have to say it's definitely worth watching, and you should take the time to watch it because I don't think you'll be disappointed. Expand
HotelCentralDec 8, 2015
Superior to the original and to most of what Romero's done since the iconic Night of the Living Dead.

The story opens quickly and maintains a good pace through to the end. Some characters do make bad decisions but most seem like what one might expect of people being guided by their emotions rather than the kind of stupid crap that directors insert into films in order to achieve some objective of plot. The biggest flaw, IMO, is in the character of security guard CJ, who begins the film ready to murder anyone who compromises his safety, but by the end of the film is willingly sacrificing himself to aid other survivors, which does not seem justified by the script.

All in all, it's a well-done show with interesting characters and entertaining appearances by Matt Frewer, and (in bonus material) former Babylon 5 stars Bruce Boxlleitner (audio only) and Richard Biggs (in his final role).
homer4presidentMar 26, 2015
This movie is what Resident Evil movies should have been. Story, characters, and sets are just amazing! Dawn of the Dead is labeled under horror because of the zombie theme but there is more action than frights.
moviemayhemApr 28, 2015
On the heels of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, the newfangled Dawn Of The Dead streamlines another scrappy horror classic by discarding everything special about it in favor of pure visceral effect. Swarming with zombies on both sides ofOn the heels of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, the newfangled Dawn Of The Dead streamlines another scrappy horror classic by discarding everything special about it in favor of pure visceral effect. Swarming with zombies on both sides of the camera, the film is unrelentingly relentless, leaving no room for original director George Romero's wry satire on consumerism or his slow-paced, creeping undead. As in 28 Days Later, which at least makes gestures toward social commentary, the zombies are fast and focused, barely pausing to savor "Brains! Brains!" before dashing off to the next fresh kill. Responding only to hot lead, they give first-time director Zack Snyder a chance to test how many subhuman heads can get blown to smithereens before the MPAA issues an NC-17 rating. (Answer: Several dozen and counting.)

Looking lost in the grindhouse, an overqualified Sarah Polley stars as a suburban Milwaukee nurse who wakes to a virus that turns her boyfriend and a neighbor child into flesh-eating savages and converts her cul-de-sac into a zombie apocalypse. Banding together with a few survivors, including tough cop Ving Rhames, Mekhi Phifer and his pregnant wife (Inna Korobkina), and down-to-earth hunk Jake Weber, Polley and friends hole up at a local mall run by overzealous security guards. During the long standoff with the zombies outside, they devise an escape plan right out of the Clint Eastwood vehicle The Gauntlet while contending with infighting and new infections.

Tasteless and gratuitous enough on its own terms, this Dawn Of The Dead would still be much more palatable had the original never existed. As it stands, the remake is akin to an Animal House knockoff staged at a country retreat and called The Rules Of The Game. Gone are Romero's wickedly funny riffs on malls as consumer utopias; they're replaced by a pack of bickering ninnies, smugly ironic Muzak versions of songs like "Don't Worry, Be Happy" and "All By Myself," and, worst of all, product placements at every turn. With his background in commercials, Snyder was either inured to Romero's point or too concerned with nailing the important technical details, such as overhead shots of propane-tank explosions or the gooey sound of an unborn mutant sloshing around in amniotic fluid. Confusing body count with intensity, the new Dawn Of The Dead could be a metaphor for how little Hollywood values human life, if only it had a brain ripe enough to feast on.
Epik_NinnjaMay 23, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw the unrated version of this film and I have to admit; it's pretty entertaining, despite how dumb it is. The writing is actually quite mediocre but I still enjoyed the quarrels among the survivors, the tragic events taking place (the zombie baby, for example) and the gory zombie action. It's not a must-watch (it is no comparison to The Walking Dead) but it's a pretty decent zombie movie overall. Expand
choomtabi31Feb 28, 2016
The best zombie movie ever made without a doubt followed by 28 Days/Weeks/ Later. Just perfectly done.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-151-Dawn-of-the-Dead-online-free
MovieMasterEddyApr 6, 2016
The original 1978 horror splatter-comedy ''Dawn of the Dead'' had an idea that played like cast-iron satire: zombies invading a mall. The one good exchange from that film is repeated in Zack Snyder's single-minded scare-tactic remake: whenThe original 1978 horror splatter-comedy ''Dawn of the Dead'' had an idea that played like cast-iron satire: zombies invading a mall. The one good exchange from that film is repeated in Zack Snyder's single-minded scare-tactic remake: when someone asks why the zombies congregate there, the response is: ''Memory, maybe. Instinct.''

Otherwise, Mr. Snyder's blood feast is strictly by the numbers: this second-rater could be the world's most expensive Troma film. That makes sense: the screenwriter for the remake, James Gunn, also banged out ''Tromeo and Juliet'' (1996), that no-budget B-movie-studio's seminal film (that is, if the word seminal can be appended to Troma). Still, this is the first studio picture to exhibit the tacky Troma influence, which means ---- something, like the end of shame in Western civilization, perhaps. However, since ''Dawn of the Dead,'' which opens today nationwide, doubtless thinks of itself as a reimagining rather than a remake, the concept of shame was probably obliterated the moment the script got a green light from Universal.

''The Dead'' -- with apologies to James Joyce -- notches its frights early, before the introduction of the, excuse the euphemism, characters. The first undead we see is a little girl with part of her face rotted away, who goes right for her dad's neck. The mother, Ana (Sarah Polley), barely escapes the house intact and drives away through an apocalyptic version of the dozy suburban tract neighborhood she had come home to the night before. The graphic point of zombielike conformity was made earlier with an overhead shot of the neighborhood.

In such instances, ''Dead'' establishes its scariness with an efficiently tactless facelessness -- that is, if the use of the word faceless doesn't provoke a defamation of character suit from the zombie lobby, apparently based in Toronto. That's where this movie was obviously shot, despite shabby attempts to convince audiences that it is set in Milwaukee.

Milwaukee, the home of the bubbler, is transformed into the subdivision of the living dead. Ana runs into Kenneth (Ving Rhames), a uniformed cop, who makes her speak. It's one of the few ways to tell the zombies from the living -- though with dialogue like this, who's better off? They're joined by Michael (Jake Weber), Andre (Mekhi Phifer) and his very pregnant wife, Luda (Inna Korobkina). They make their way to the Crossroad Mall, where a handful of security guards led by the suspicious C. J. (Michael Kelly) have taken up residence.

C. J.'s intolerance is evident early, when he calls Andre ''Shaq.'' His ragtag minimum-wage squad is determined to keep the zombies out, especially once Ana figures out that the life-free scourge is spread from a zombie bite. Isn't it always funny that people in zombie movies have never seen zombie movies, so they have no information whatsoever?

''Dead'' does an adequate job of building up the tension early, but the traces of humor with which the original writer-director, George A. Romero, slathered the first version weren't nearly as ham-fisted as those found in the current one. The reimaginers of ''Dead'' have to cope with being compared with a classic, while Mr. Romero had to deal with a much more horrendous thought: making a sequel to a legitimate classic, 1968's spartan and terrifying ''Night of the Living Dead.'' (Mr. Romero's genius came from never explaining why the zombie infection plagued Pittsburgh, a plot device this new version keeps.)

There are a few other nods to the initial ''Dawn of the Dead,'' like a cameo appearance by the gore makeup genius Tom Savini, who worked on the earlier film. And the opening and closing credits by Prologue Film are so good they're almost worth sitting through the film for.

Such treats aside, we're left with a movie dependent on generating its small amount of sparks by setting an order in which to eliminate the annoying cast members. A scene in which weapons have to be liberated from a gun store so the group can carry out a plan to get to a marina and sail away to safety -- don't ask -- shows why zombie pictures aren't unsettling anymore. The flesh-eaters are picked off like video-game targets.

The eventual video game is bound to be a lot more fun -- and less slowed down by bad dialogue -- than this ''Dead.''
Castiel_AngelOct 9, 2016
Eh...I don't feel this is a 10/10 movie but it is in no way horrible. It, much like Zombieland is very well written but I feel as if they could have added a touch of comedy to it instead of it being just purely action.