Dawn of the Dead

8.6

1. Jul 17, 2014
    Dawn of the Dead (2004): 10 out of 10: I sympathize with the fan boys that feel any remake of Dawn of the Dead is religious sacrilegious. You get an emotional attachment to films that scared you in your youth. (One on mine is Assault on Precinct 13 that was remade recently and I just know I will be disappointed with the remake. I am still scared of ice cream trucks as a result of seeingDawn of the Dead (2004): 10 out of 10: I sympathize with the fan boys that feel any remake of Dawn of the Dead is religious sacrilegious. You get an emotional attachment to films that scared you in your youth. (One on mine is Assault on Precinct 13 that was remade recently and I just know I will be disappointed with the remake. I am still scared of ice cream trucks as a result of seeing that film when I was 9)

Remakes themselves have a well deserved bad reputation. (Easiest movie trivia question: What is the best film remake? The Maltese Falcon of course. That Humphrey Bogart perennial was a remake of a 1931 film of the same name. I'm sure back in 1941 that there were a couple of people complaining that Bogart was no Ricardo Cortez and the ruined the story by taking out the affair and homosexual subplots. The first film after all was a pre-code affair.)

Dawn of the Dead is in reality a different movie than the original. This is no shot for shot Psycho remake nor is it the same movie with a glossier CGI coat of paint. It is a faster more intense zombie film. It is one of the best action horror films of the last ten years. The opening twenty minutes in simply one of the scariest action packed sequences I have ever seen. By the time our band of protagonists gets to the mall they are not the only one's catching their breath.

It becomes a pretty good sized group at the mall and you end up slogging through some slow bits as the zombies eat it down to a more manageable size.The acting is across the board good and the effects are suitably gory and plentiful. Director Zack Snyder wisely dumps much of Romero's sociological subplots and replaces them with a more timely commentary. (Instead of zombies as consumer motif we have shooting undead celebrities. And instead of an outwardly hostile motorcycle gang, we have a more subtle power struggle between the otherwise powerless.)

The updates honestly work, as a more literal remake would have simply fallen flat. Is Dawn of the Dead better than the original? I won't say. Is it one of the best films of 2004? Yes. Is it better than Romero's own sequel Day of the Dead? Good Lord yes.
  2. Mar 6, 2011
    This may seem like a b rated movie but it's not it's surprisingly well made movie, truly enjoyable if your into the zombie movie genre like I am, if you are this is a must see.
  3. Mar 11, 2014
    i love the dawn of the dead remake and the original was even better . these are two movie that were the best remake films i have ever seen in my life
  4. Aug 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. best zombies movie ever, don't miss it. i love this movie and i think everyone should watch it. I Promise, you will enjoy it, even if you hate movies with zombies Expand
  5. JayH
    Apr 12, 2009
    One of the best horror films of all time. It is genuinely frightening, great special effects. Suspenseful, well directed and acted. The touches of humor make it work that much better. Excellent.
  6. Mar 2, 2013
    One of the better zombie films out there and definitely one of the most entertaining with some great character work and solid special effects make-up. It's a remake of Romero's 70's Classic but made fresh for today's audience, and it works perfectly. A nice crop of actors give the characters life plus there's zombies like you've never seen before that really know how to run! It also hasOne of the better zombie films out there and definitely one of the most entertaining with some great character work and solid special effects make-up. It's a remake of Romero's 70's Classic but made fresh for today's audience, and it works perfectly. A nice crop of actors give the characters life plus there's zombies like you've never seen before that really know how to run! It also has the perfect setting in a shopping centre Overall a Horror classic and personal favourite of mine! Expand
  7. DorianS.
    Apr 5, 2008
    Hell, this movie was great,blood and all that,but the problem is,the zombies are too fast.I was first scared by the movie,but later,it was fun
  8. ChrisM
    May 13, 2005
    K.J. I find it seriously worrying and a tad disturbing that you could laugh at a scene such as the birth scene. The way people compare this movie to the original then shun it is crap. The move is exciting and fun to watch and overall that's the point of a movie, to entertain. Dawn of the Dead is one of the most enjoyable films I've seen.
  9. BrennaG.
    Jul 16, 2005
    I loved this movie. although ive never seen the original, i feel that the up to date feel makes this movie a while lot better. I love the suspense, and this whole movie if ull of it.
  10. JH.
    Feb 26, 2007
    Robugly, could you be less vague? Overall, as horror movies go, the characters here were astro physicists compared to your average teen slasher bimbo/jock clique.
  11. LockneO.
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dawn of the Dead gives you just what you expect when you buy your ticket. It is expected to be an enjoyable, horror flick, and that's just what it is. It's not Oscar-worthy, but it is still a good movie for a good scare. I reccommend this film.
  12. AdamR.
    Nov 28, 2004
    This is not as good as Romero's its better! stop kissing a film that is almost comical in its bad execution.This Dawn is so stylish its flamable.
  13. RebeccaB.
    May 30, 2004
    Wow, it's awesome and it's by far the best of it kind I have ever seen. I love ZOMBIES and ZOMBIE movies and I was on the edge of my seat through out the entire film. In ways yes it is better then the original but I always will love the original more because of its originality and campyness. I just hope that everyone gives the remake a chance before making up their minds. Yours Wow, it's awesome and it's by far the best of it kind I have ever seen. I love ZOMBIES and ZOMBIE movies and I was on the edge of my seat through out the entire film. In ways yes it is better then the original but I always will love the original more because of its originality and campyness. I just hope that everyone gives the remake a chance before making up their minds. Yours Truly Zombie Girl! Expand
  14. FLOYDB
    Mar 19, 2004
    If you liked the original, YOU WILL LOVE THIS FILM! One of the few good "remakes."
  15. RhysL.
    Mar 20, 2004
    As a remake I can not really say if this film is better or worse then the original. I can say though that I felt that this film had a much better pace then the original. I felt the tension in this film from start to stop... and even on the walk to my car. The twists and turns just felt better in this movie then in the original. I appreciated that humor was kept in the film and it really As a remake I can not really say if this film is better or worse then the original. I can say though that I felt that this film had a much better pace then the original. I felt the tension in this film from start to stop... and even on the walk to my car. The twists and turns just felt better in this movie then in the original. I appreciated that humor was kept in the film and it really helped build up the characters and a momentary repreve from the building tension ( a repreve but not a total wall because even in the humor the tension was still there ) . My only real problem with the film when compaired to the original is its lack of soul... in the original every thing was a sutble... and sometimes not so subtle ... commentary on something... from relations between people and modern comercialism. This film did however incorporate many parts from Day of the dead... like the conflict between two groups Ie in Day the Millitary and the others... in this one it is not the same groups... and it does kinda defuse... but it is still there. Eitherway, as entertainment I think this film is better. If you are looking for a movie where the zombies are a metaphor as apposed to ... well zombies you may want to check out the original film. I myself would suggest that you see both and deside for yourself. Expand
  16. MitchM.
    Mar 20, 2004
    I rate movies based on how much I feel people should see them, not by how high-brow they are or how serious the topic is. Dawn of the Dead is flat out amazingly FUN!! I saw it at the midnight show on opening night, and the crowd went absolutely nuts. It's thrilling, funny, visually exciting, and absolutley never boring. It has you on the edge of your seat from about the fifth minute I rate movies based on how much I feel people should see them, not by how high-brow they are or how serious the topic is. Dawn of the Dead is flat out amazingly FUN!! I saw it at the midnight show on opening night, and the crowd went absolutely nuts. It's thrilling, funny, visually exciting, and absolutley never boring. It has you on the edge of your seat from about the fifth minute until the end of the credits. DON'T YOU DARE leave before the last credit like a couple of fools did during our show. Sarah Polley is terrific as usual, Ving Rhames plays his role like a champ, and the rest of the cast is uniformly solid. The original Dawn of the Dead was a staple of my youth, but as far as remakes go, this one is right there with it. It's just flat-out exciting. And by the way, it blows that piece of crap 28 Days out of the water. I definitely have to see this one again. Expand
  17. JonnyL.
    Mar 20, 2004
    Some great zombie fun for all of us underprivileged fans of the genre. Covers all of the bases a good horror movie should. However, for a "Dead" movie, the cannibal mayhem content was somewhat restained, kinda like the Savini remake of "Night" in the early 90's. I wonder why. There are definitely none of the prolonged, grotesque feeding scenes that littered Romero's original Some great zombie fun for all of us underprivileged fans of the genre. Covers all of the bases a good horror movie should. However, for a "Dead" movie, the cannibal mayhem content was somewhat restained, kinda like the Savini remake of "Night" in the early 90's. I wonder why. There are definitely none of the prolonged, grotesque feeding scenes that littered Romero's original three Dead movies. But as a change of pace, the new Dawn compensates by offerring much more consisitent, and in my opinion extremely tense action sequences which are quite creative. 10 minutes in, and then this movie just doesn't let up. I was totally "on the edge of my seat" throughout the whole movie, so to speak. Whew! The fact that this movie respects its roots also, and wasn't ironic or "post-modern" in tone in the least helped alot too. Oh, and adding Johnny Cash to the intro? Nice touch, and waaaay creepy! Expand
  18. JoeS.
    Mar 28, 2004
    This movie was so cool. I liked the fact that it was actually Scary, Funny AND Entertaining. Of Course it's not movie of the year either. Still, I would definitely go again if I was asked to.
  19. MichaelR.
    Mar 31, 2004
    This is a great, strait-up zombie film. Fans of the original Dawn may be disappointed, though, that there really isn't any political satire to be seen in the movie, but there is enough humor and action in the film to make it worth the trip anyway. Also, this might just be me, but I think there was a nod to Evil Dead in via character Steve, who reminds me a hell of a lot of Ash. He is This is a great, strait-up zombie film. Fans of the original Dawn may be disappointed, though, that there really isn't any political satire to be seen in the movie, but there is enough humor and action in the film to make it worth the trip anyway. Also, this might just be me, but I think there was a nod to Evil Dead in via character Steve, who reminds me a hell of a lot of Ash. He is sarcastic just like Ash, and the actor they have play him looks a bit like Bruce Campbell. I do think he even wields a chainsaw for a short bit in one scene. Anyway, fun movie. Better than most of the horror movies to come out in the past years. Expand
  20. Julz
    Mar 21, 2004
    Having seen the 1979 original picture, I am quite impressed with the revised release.
  21. KatieP.
    Mar 25, 2004
    Holy! This movie was so good! It was obviously a lot like 28 Days Later, but how much originality can you do with a zombie flick? Listen to the critics.. DO NOT LEAVE UNTIL THE CREDITS ARE DONE ROLLING!! The movie isn't over when you think it actually is. There is an ending after they are on the boat.
  22. DavidL.
    Mar 31, 2004
    An impressively sustained shot of pure adrenaline. brilliantly directed, strikingly designed and shot; witty, knuckle-whiteningly suspenseful, and truly creepy...just a blast all around.
  23. StringerB.
    Apr 28, 2004
    Still (4/28/04) the BEST, most exciting, funniest movie of the year by a wide margin. This movie MUST be seen on the big screen, so check it out soon!!! There must be a sequel, too, so MAKE it!
  24. KelR.
    May 15, 2004
    I don't know why I found this movie so entertaining. Extreme violence wrapped in a comic shell equals a good time. This movie could have easily gone for the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" feel, but thankfully they added elements that kept you guessing and laughing. Go ahead and indulge your sick, sadistic selves, hahaha.
  25. May 1, 2011
    As much as I love Romero's 1978 classic, I must agree with fellow movie buffs who say that this particular remake was unfairly prejudiced and slandered upon release. The movie sticks pretty much to the basic plot; a group of people hide out in an abandoned shopping center during a zombie apocalypse. That's all there is to it. The acting was good and some of the comedy moments were actuallyAs much as I love Romero's 1978 classic, I must agree with fellow movie buffs who say that this particular remake was unfairly prejudiced and slandered upon release. The movie sticks pretty much to the basic plot; a group of people hide out in an abandoned shopping center during a zombie apocalypse. That's all there is to it. The acting was good and some of the comedy moments were actually pretty funny (Hollywood Squares, anyone?). Of course, seeing as it was shot in the modern era of the zombie flick, there is just enough blood and huts to satisfy any gorehound. The zombies looked scary and WERE scary simply due to the fact that they could sprint (a cliche started by 28 Days Later). The heavy metal soundtrack really helped the atmosphere of a zombie invasion and went great with zombie-killing. In sum, an underrated horror movie. Expand
  26. Mar 3, 2012
    I am not really into gore, but this movie is fantastic in its genre. Beyond the gore, the construction of the characters is good; although, they had some fairly stereotypical ones (that is one of the reasons why I don't give this movie a 10). From a more analytical perspective, it is not just about horror, but also about how in extreme situations our human condition can either betray us,I am not really into gore, but this movie is fantastic in its genre. Beyond the gore, the construction of the characters is good; although, they had some fairly stereotypical ones (that is one of the reasons why I don't give this movie a 10). From a more analytical perspective, it is not just about horror, but also about how in extreme situations our human condition can either betray us, or strengthen us. Fate plays a role in our lives, but we always have a choice, even if there doesn't seem to be one. I definitely recommend it. Expand
  27. Nov 5, 2011
    YES! This remake of Romero's original film is WAY much better. A perfect cast, with suspense, more zombies, action, and a very fantastic plot. If you like zombies - Watch this film!
  28. AdamW.
    Mar 1, 2009
    This movie is the pinnacle of epic zombie movies that are also funny.
  29. Edc.
    Feb 24, 2008
    if you have ever seen any zombie horror film before then you needent see this one. all the cliche'd characters, one dimensional personalities and terrible cringeworthy one-liners as per usual. however unlike other fliks, there was none of the suspense and not enough jumpy moments to save the film. aside from some smirk raising black humour, this really was a very very poor film. if you have ever seen any zombie horror film before then you needent see this one. all the cliche'd characters, one dimensional personalities and terrible cringeworthy one-liners as per usual. however unlike other fliks, there was none of the suspense and not enough jumpy moments to save the film. aside from some smirk raising black humour, this really was a very very poor film. waste of time Expand
  30. May 25, 2014
    One of the best Remakes that has been done and one of the best iv'e ever seen. The opening Ten minutes of the film is great and while it maybe not match the intensity of the original it does it's best to great you right into the action. The movie opens up to Sarah Polley(Ana) wakes up to find her husband being attacked by a zombie child. As she makes her way outside she then sees that theOne of the best Remakes that has been done and one of the best iv'e ever seen. The opening Ten minutes of the film is great and while it maybe not match the intensity of the original it does it's best to great you right into the action. The movie opens up to Sarah Polley(Ana) wakes up to find her husband being attacked by a zombie child. As she makes her way outside she then sees that the carnage is taking over city with huge explosions, buildings on fire, and helicopters everywhere. From then on out its a fight for survival not only by from zombies but from humans as well. Overall it's a good film i had a fun time watching it's in my top 5 zombie movies of the 2000's

7.5

1. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Mar 27, 2016
    Director Zack Snyder choreographs this like a video game, emphasizing the body count over character.
  2. Arizona Republic
    Reviewed by: Bill Muller
    Mar 27, 2016
    A frenetic movie that combines a video-game sensibility with cartoonish, whacked-out violence. As with all good modern horror, one minute you're laughing out loud and the next you're covering your eyes. [19 Mar 2004, p.1P]
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Mar 27, 2016
    Dawn of the Dead is very much its own movie, and a disturbing one at that. But it also realizes we're in the theater to have fun, either grotesquely or cleverly.