Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: July 11, 2014
8.2
Universal acclaim based on 1078 Ratings
WATCH NOW
RazorEyeJul 11, 2014
Nothing, absolutely nothing, in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes falls short of being amazing. An emotionally heavy and truly moving film, Dawn is an absolute marvel of modern science fiction, building upon the strong and unmovable foundationsNothing, absolutely nothing, in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes falls short of being amazing. An emotionally heavy and truly moving film, Dawn is an absolute marvel of modern science fiction, building upon the strong and unmovable foundations Rise of the Planet of the Apes had left earlier. With a plethora of solid characters from both ends of the tale, an explosive sequence of events and a rather poetic script, Dawn raises the bar for the Planet of the Apes franchise and other big-budget philosophical productions of it's caliber. Dawn really is something that deserves appreciation; few films in our day can only dream of achieving what Dawn has. A film that truly touches it's audience with heartfelt passion and remorse for humanity, Dawn is the kind of film that films as an art form and the film industry needs in general.

Both Rise and Dawn are thought provoking; films that challenge our perception of our very own species through another. However, Dawn triumphs more spectacularly in a way few films before it had done so; through unsolicited and unforced emotion and depth that makes Dawn a true modern science fiction classic, something that the original creators of Planet of the Apes would be very proud of.
SirKirbyThe4thMay 5, 2015
Such an amazing movie! If you can make monkeys on horses, guns blazing NOT funny, then you've done something right. It takes place during human extinction, wile apes & human live separately, & apes hate humans for what they've done to them.Such an amazing movie! If you can make monkeys on horses, guns blazing NOT funny, then you've done something right. It takes place during human extinction, wile apes & human live separately, & apes hate humans for what they've done to them. Its also one of the few times the sequel is better than the first, which is Rise of the... Expand
sonyfanlocoAug 6, 2014
es una buena película con buenas ideas pero falto mas historia mas enfatizada en lo es pero tiene una buena historia buena trama la música suena bien pero tuvo algunas cosas que no estuvieron bien y me aburrí por eso pero lo demás fantastico
homer4presidentMay 27, 2015
After the pleasant surprise that was the first film of the new Planet of the Apes series, the expectations for the sequel, or middle part of the trilogy, were somewhat bigger. Thankfully, everyone involved was fully aware of that andAfter the pleasant surprise that was the first film of the new Planet of the Apes series, the expectations for the sequel, or middle part of the trilogy, were somewhat bigger. Thankfully, everyone involved was fully aware of that and delivered another smart blockbuster with a lot of vital commentary on the futility of war and violent conflicts. The film doesn't want you to pick a side too easily as hostility between the last remaining humans on Earth and the intelligent apes arise. There are decent and bad characters on both sides. This makes for an interesting ride, as the conflict spins more and more into chaos and there is little anyone can do against it, after a point of no return. Once again, the CGI is incredible, thanks to great motion capture acting and the accompanying special effects. Thankfully, the human actors are en par, especially Gary Oldman only takes two short scenes to make a strong point for being one of the best of his generation. The gloomy atmosphere, the great cinematography, it all adds up to an intelligent and pretty damn entertaining continuation of the story. If there is one complaint it would have to be that the ending is merely a cliffhanger for what's next in part three. But at least we all have something to look forward to. Expand
TheQuietGamerApr 10, 2015
The origin story continues to progress. The balance of relative peace between apes and humans balances on the edge of a knife. Things like political maneuvers show us just how much these apes have grown in intelligence.

The film doesn't

The film doesn't shy away from it's moral center. This time around the apes aren't completely victims. Caesar is coming to the realization that the apes are no longer that different from the humans they once fought. There is some truly powerful stuff going on here.

The origin of the new Planet of the Ape series continues to show brilliance. This time the human performances are all up to the task. The motion capture is just as fantastic as ever. The apes still look like animals with human intelligence. The future of the series looks bright.

"Dawn" is a powerful movie. One with enough action and heart to enchant all audiences. The beauty and horror of it's post-apocalyptic needs to be seen.

I give "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" a 9.8/10.
MrMovieBuffMar 20, 2015
It's apes, riding on horses...and firing machine guns. Do I need to elaborate on this? This movie is awesome! Andy Serkis needs an Oscar and this is the most intelligent summer blockbuster of 2014!

Great action movie and great in-depth

Great action movie and great in-depth story.

Apes, together...STRONG!
PeteStaivJul 28, 2014
The best movie of 2014 so far. For two hours it immerses you into its atmosphere! Great characters, fantastic main plot, top notch CGI ... it is a must see!
MarcDoyleJul 24, 2014
Far and away the best movie of the summer. It all goes back to storytelling. This crew didn't sit back and rest on its tech laurels. Serkis is amazing, but the writing and the directing are top notch. Remember the first Apes movie? Not inFar and away the best movie of the summer. It all goes back to storytelling. This crew didn't sit back and rest on its tech laurels. Serkis is amazing, but the writing and the directing are top notch. Remember the first Apes movie? Not in this franchise. The Tim Burton fiasco? We've come a long way, baby. Expand
orderJul 19, 2014
This is the best movie I have seen in 13 years (Training Day). Everything worked in this film to perfection, I would not have changed anything, this director did bloody awesome. It's a must see. 10/10 - and I have never giving anything a 10This is the best movie I have seen in 13 years (Training Day). Everything worked in this film to perfection, I would not have changed anything, this director did bloody awesome. It's a must see. 10/10 - and I have never giving anything a 10 in any reviews. Expand
BrianMcCriticJul 12, 2014
From start to finish had me on the edge of my seat. An amazing visual experience mixed a fantastic script and score. This film is a deeply emotional one as well you really feel for these characters. There is nothing not to like about thisFrom start to finish had me on the edge of my seat. An amazing visual experience mixed a fantastic script and score. This film is a deeply emotional one as well you really feel for these characters. There is nothing not to like about this film. A+ Expand
rsheehanJul 18, 2014
I will make this short and sweet. Excellent movie. Has a little of everything in it. The acting is good especially what it takes to bring Caesar to life. After watching the making of Rise OPOA I realized how much went into creating a movieI will make this short and sweet. Excellent movie. Has a little of everything in it. The acting is good especially what it takes to bring Caesar to life. After watching the making of Rise OPOA I realized how much went into creating a movie like this. However, it's not just the incredible technology that brings this to life, it is the excellent story. Very touching, moving and thought provoking. Expand
vikesh2206Nov 21, 2014
Intelligent and provocative in all the right ways, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes expands on its remarkable predecessor with dynamic motion capture, well realized ape character arcs and a blatant and bleak social message.
quincytheodoreJul 11, 2014
Although the plot is predictable, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes combines great visual effect and refined motion-capture acting into an emotional spectacle. Much of the novel factor of Planet of the Ape franchise is how believably humane theAlthough the plot is predictable, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes combines great visual effect and refined motion-capture acting into an emotional spectacle. Much of the novel factor of Planet of the Ape franchise is how believably humane the apes can be, it's also a measure bar as comparing the movies of this franchise in order serves as prove of technology advancement. Andy Serkis has perfected a masterful interpretation of the ape-human mime hybrid. It's not an overstatement that the apes fare better and more convincing than the human counterpart.

Visual is splendid and aesthetically pleasing. It's not as extravagant as other blockbusters in recent time, but the art direction offers a unique appeal. Different than most grayish dire post-apocalypse setting, the movie turns to a more organic setting, a lustful return-to-nature background while some of civilization remains still stand tattered. Glossy urban areas have now coated with rustic flavor while the apes territory is leaning towards early civilization settlement. One is deteriorating while the other contrastingly and gradually improves.

The movie has one of the best uses of motion capture lately. Apes moves with fluid almost humanized motion even though some of the hunchback traits still persist. It's interesting to see such varied range of emotion that can be conveyed by the apes' while most of them only communicate with body language. Action sequences are well done; a couple of scenes are shot in very interesting point of view or continuous shot. It's a little heavier on action than the prequel.

However, the humans aren't nearly as intriguing. Jason Clarke as Malcolm, the engineer and leader figure does a decent job, but he's eclipsed by Andy Serkis' Caesar. He's not really an engaging lead role as James Franco was, and it's a bit underwhelming when the movie tries to compare the two together. Gary Oldman as Dreyfus works with what he has. Being a man with practically a thousand faces, he can pull off any role, but here his character is rather unexceptional.

The plot is a bit overused though; those who have seen Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas or Avatar will find little surprise. Granted, there's only so much this "two civilizations" premise could go and the movie does go for more mature outlook, but a lot of the scenes foreshadow any twist the movie could've had, even more so for those knowledgeable of the franchise. In the end Dawn of the Planet of the Apes does any movie strive to, it immerses the audience and makes them invest in the character's struggle. With the pace it's going the apes are here to stay.
ToshioneJul 12, 2014
If you didn't like Rise of the Planet of the Apes or any of the other Planet of the Apes movies, then you shouldn't see this movie, it won't change your mind about the series. That being said this movie is fantastic. It has an amazing story,If you didn't like Rise of the Planet of the Apes or any of the other Planet of the Apes movies, then you shouldn't see this movie, it won't change your mind about the series. That being said this movie is fantastic. It has an amazing story, intense action, and genuinely sad moments. My only problem with this movie was the drama scenes between the humans. These scenes weren't very long but they seemed out of place and made the movie about 10 minutes longer than it should have been. Expand
theofficeJul 13, 2014
Spectacular movie. Once you get over the little kids laughing at the apes you find the plot to be very deep and the characters all put in very tough situations. There was a level of drama in the film that I was not expecting. The action wasSpectacular movie. Once you get over the little kids laughing at the apes you find the plot to be very deep and the characters all put in very tough situations. There was a level of drama in the film that I was not expecting. The action was just the right amount and not overdone. I do think they rushed the transition from the first movie to the this one (a two minute montage of clips to show how the world went to hell) but other than that no real issues. Expand
ReubenIsAGodJul 11, 2014
Nothing is bad about this film. Characters are solid, likable and relative. Every side, weather Ape or Human, has an opinion backed by some, very, logical and understanding motives. The acting is superb all performances are top notch. TheNothing is bad about this film. Characters are solid, likable and relative. Every side, weather Ape or Human, has an opinion backed by some, very, logical and understanding motives. The acting is superb all performances are top notch. The over-all story-line is Sensational, does a great job bring out messages and themes that are relevant today within our changing society, also does a great job Humanizing the apes, their not just the bad guys (have never seen the original film, so im not 2 sure if they are seen with humanity).

Their are many other important points to add, but to the point, Dawn Of The Planet of the Apes is a Spectacular squeal that will go down as one of the greatest science fiction films of the 21st century.

10/10, yall **** need to watch this film :D
GinaKJul 13, 2014
If you are looking for an action picture that is not totally mindless, this movie is a good choice. It’s a little too long and generates more cloying sentimentality than genuine emotion. Still it has enough action in a sturdy enough plot toIf you are looking for an action picture that is not totally mindless, this movie is a good choice. It’s a little too long and generates more cloying sentimentality than genuine emotion. Still it has enough action in a sturdy enough plot to keep the audience quiet. This was the first time CGI really annoyed me (has it reached its limits?) since the swarming apes, always shot from above, looked like swarming ants with identical ape decals pasted over them. On the other hand, digital makeup has improved enormously, or Andy Serkis is simply a genius at acting under these conditions. In the end, I couldn’t decide if the pessimistic philosophy that war is inevitable and neither humans nor movie apes will improve (exemplified by the selfish “apes” who must go out for popcorn refills in the middle of a movie in a packed theater) or whether this philosophy was just a cynical excuse for another sequel. Expand
JamesCannonJul 11, 2014
Good solid Film. Consider it an 8.5. It almost reaches the levels of praise that some reviewers are giving. Its a close masterpiece. I felt the climax and ending could have been handled a little differently. It almost happens so fastGood solid Film. Consider it an 8.5. It almost reaches the levels of praise that some reviewers are giving. Its a close masterpiece. I felt the climax and ending could have been handled a little differently. It almost happens so fast that you feel like the rug is pulled up from under you, because the film is just starting to hit a terrific pace that I did want to stop. The script is laced with all kinds of good allegories and you could read practically anything into this engaging and sometimes brutal tale. I stared in wonder on just how good the apes looked. It was incredible seeing them. The humans do get the short stick and there is no picture given on the events outside of San Fran. This sequel though has me looking forward to the 3rd film which I thought would never happen. I found first one mildly entertaining, but it is nothing like this one. Expand
foxgroveJul 28, 2014
After the disappointment of 2011's 'Rise of the planet of the apes' one could be forgiven for thinking that this latest instalment would be just another excuse to cash in on a successful franchise, one that was already in a moribund stateAfter the disappointment of 2011's 'Rise of the planet of the apes' one could be forgiven for thinking that this latest instalment would be just another excuse to cash in on a successful franchise, one that was already in a moribund state since the inception of the TV series way back in the 70's. Therefore, it is with unreserved enthusiasm that I can recommend whole heartedly this latest chapter in the simian saga. The whole package just couldn't have been put together better, but it has to be said that a lion's share of the credit has to go to director Matt Reeves who previously thrilled us with his visually stunning and equally dark 'Cloverfield'. Helped by a surprisingly dense and impressive screenplay he has managed to inject in to familiar proceedings, depth of character, excitement, pathos and suspense and yet has still found time to inventively position the camera to jaw dropping effect. There is even some slow motion, 360 degree camera pans and knock out crane shots. In fact we have everything here but the kitchen sink and it all works beautifully. The story is good and there is definite deliberation in the pacing which is perfectly judged and balances the action sequences with the many quieter and more reflective moments.

Technically the movie is everything that you would expect.. The cinematography is dark but luminous. The production design and visual effects are state of the art brilliant and the music gives the film its menacing undercurrent which is underlined by some of the best sound work for ages. Jason Clarke also demonstrates why he deserves to be given leading roles along with the best of them. To call this the best ape film yet is a pretty empty compliment. More importantly it is an estimable achievement in its own right.
AlexanderLuthorAug 1, 2014
What a tremendous reboot. I was wary after the terrible Mark Wahlberg film, but this film was absolutely captivating from start to finish. They make you root for the apes, brilliant
DuckNationJul 29, 2014
"We've been through hell together! We spent four years, FOUR YEARS fighting that virus, and then another four fighting each other! It was chaos!... But you all know what we're up against! And I want you to know, it's not just about power!"We've been through hell together! We spent four years, FOUR YEARS fighting that virus, and then another four fighting each other! It was chaos!... But you all know what we're up against! And I want you to know, it's not just about power! It's about giving us the hope to rebuild, to reclaim the world we lost!"

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is absolutely phenomenal and one of the best summer blockbuster movies in recent years. I actually watched the movie during its initial release window but decided not to write a review for it as i was sick at the time so i never got around to it but seeing that some time has past now and i still find myself wanting to write a review for it so here i am. Well to start this movie was my most anticipated movie of the whole year over other films like Captain America 2, X-Men DOFP, Godzilla, and a few others, and i would have to say the film most definitely delivered on all my expectations. I wasn't a big fan of Matt Reeves previous films so i was a bit hesitant when i learned that he was going to be the director of this film that being said though i didn't really know that Rupert Wyatt the director of "Rise of the Plant of the Apes" was virtually a unknown director at the time when he did that film so i should have given Reeves more of a chance.

The film picks up 10 years after the film installment and the opens up with the apes hunting for food and right from the beginning the film blows you away with its amazing visuals which i was absolutely thrilled about because Weta Digital really dropped the ball with the visuals in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and its good to see them redeem themselves. It's been 2 years since the apes and humans had any contact with each other and Caesar isn't even sure if they are alive anymore which you can see makes him sad. Leading up to the events in this film the humans spent four years fighting the virus then the next four years fighting each other but it seems after all that the few remaining survivors live in peace in the ruins of San Francisco for the past two years. With fuel running low and the fear of returning back to darkness the main humans which consist of Gary Oldman as Dreyfus the leader, Jason Clarke as Malcolm a scientist, and Keri Russell as Ellie his girlfriend.

After a brief encounter with two young apes in the woods where one of them ends up getting shot in the arm we see Caesar and a huge group of apes march on San Francisco to show power but only to say that humans must stay in the cities and the apes will stay in the forest, this happens to one of the more iconic parts of the movie as it was so freaking awesome to see the apes ride on horse back. Malcolm convinces Dreyfus to give him three days to go talk to the apes to see if they cant just gain access to the hydro dam in the forest so they can fix it so they can have electricity all over the city and they wont have any need to enter the forest. Caesar agrees which leads to one of the fellow apes starting to question his actions. From here we see things escalate in both the human and ape groups which ends up leading to a all out war between the two.

While i was watching the film i would see something happen and i would think to myself and be like okay so this is going to happen but to my surprise it didn't and that happened to me a couple time throughout the movie which i loved because few movies can do that consistently and prove me wrong each time. I was never really a fan of Jason Clarke and i wasn't sure how i was going to like him being in this film seeing that he was going to be a major part of it but he actually did a solid performance which i was surprised about it also actually made me think that he wont be all that bad in Terminator: Genesis. Gary Oldman again was fantastic but of course that's nothing new, he has this one really emotional scene that ends up being one of the more memorable parts of the film. Toby Kebbell as Koba was great he was strong and fearful he also did a really good job for his first motion capture film but i'm sure Mr. Serkis had something to do with that.

Speaking of which lets get to Andy Serkis as the mighty ape Caesar honestly there really isn't anything to say other than we already know he wont win a Oscar for this which is just a absolute shame. His performance in this blows every other motion capture performance of his out of the water its really not even all that close id go as far and say that this is his best performance to date period. The motion capture for the apes was seriously stunning some of the apes like Caesar, Koba, and Maurice, look just as if you were looking at real apes, there are a couple parts where you get to see close ups of Caesar's eyes and you seriously can not tell that its CGI.

Overall i give it a 9.5 i have more in my review but i seems it will be too long for Meta
FrankTCastleJul 22, 2014
The movie is fantastic, seeing how far the Ape society has grown and evolved then how far humanity has fallen and to see each of them struggle together and against one another is amazing. Very well acted by everyone, looking forward to theThe movie is fantastic, seeing how far the Ape society has grown and evolved then how far humanity has fallen and to see each of them struggle together and against one another is amazing. Very well acted by everyone, looking forward to the next installment. Expand
JarmentAug 2, 2014
Decades into the franchise, and on it's 7th director, the Apes' reach a new high. Arguably the better than the original film and an improvement on its equally surprising predecessor, Dawn goes places no other apes film has. The effects inDecades into the franchise, and on it's 7th director, the Apes' reach a new high. Arguably the better than the original film and an improvement on its equally surprising predecessor, Dawn goes places no other apes film has. The effects in this film are also equally amazing, but Andy Serkis and Toby Kebbell give some of the best performances of the year as two apes in a dystopian future. Expand
moviemitch96Jul 21, 2014
A superior and highly entertaining sequel to "Rise of the Planet of the Apes!" Everything about this film was just so great! The acting was good from both human and ape. Jason Clarke as the new lead gave an exceptional performance, as didA superior and highly entertaining sequel to "Rise of the Planet of the Apes!" Everything about this film was just so great! The acting was good from both human and ape. Jason Clarke as the new lead gave an exceptional performance, as did Gary Oldman, Keri Russell, etc. Last but certainly not least, Andy Serkis once again blows it away as the voice behind Caesar! Great action and effects, as well as a satisfyingly heartfelt story overall really made this film amazing! Overall, easily one of the summer's best films! Expand
AGarcia732Jul 15, 2014
Score: 7.5

"There is no dawn without darkness." Or was it, "the night is always darkest before the dawn"? Oh well. My point is...what was my point again? Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a good movie. It has received "Universal
Score: 7.5

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a good movie. It has received "Universal acclaim" from Metacritic users. I don't like to be negative--especially with such a highly-praised movie--but I do have a few complaints. One, the humans. I think all the humans should've had a bit more development. One person I have specifically in mind when I say that is Dreyfus (played by Gary Oldman), leader of the remaining human survivors--who are somehow immune to the virus. (Exactly how are they immune?) Anyway, he had much less screen time than he deserved. The only real insight into his history is a picture on an iPad screen. The rest of the humans don't mention much about their history and past, except for snippets we learn in conversations. Two--the collapse of humanity is not really shown. I get that apocalypses and utopian/dystopian worlds have been done MANY times in all kinds of media--books, movies, TV, etc. But I would've liked to see more of what was left of the human world. On the plus side, a growing ape civilization IS shown. That's definitely unique and original. Three, we don't see much of what happens 10 or so years after the virus spreads. Well, we know--but we don't see much except for a quick montage. I would've liked to see more. The transition from the first film to this sequel is a bit too quick. And, four, I honestly would've liked to have seen some of the cast from the first film in the sequel (especially Dr. Will Rodman played by James Franco). All of these four suggestions could have easily been done through flashbacks throughout the film. But, I don't want anyone to mistake my suggestions for criticism. Because after many disappointments this year, I'd say this is definitely not one of them.

The movie accomplishes what many films probably couldn't. Like making you be drawn to the apes, a species who are still developing and learning. (They're still getting the hang of talking. But when the apes do talk, it mesmerizes you.) This film manages to make you pray that not one bullet is fired by the apes or humans. Because one bullet could set aflame the tension, animosity, and suspense between the two species and could lead to war. But it seems war is inevitable, and someone is bound to screw up and ruin the fragile peace between the apes and humans. The film has superb CGI, as pointed out by many.

The film is good...but I feel "Rise" was better. I don't know why. Despite all that "Dawn" has going for it (those four small suggestions weren't really an issue), I didn't connect on a certain level with Dawn. I feel like Metacritic user "jyeager11". I quote his review, "Could the addition of writer and Executive Producer Mark Bomback have negatively impacted the end product that much? I'm not sure. I wasn't there. And it's not like 'Dawn' is a *bad* movie. There's a lot about it I enjoyed (...) there's nothing technically wrong with this movie (... ) But there's nothing there that makes me likely to purchase a physical DVD copy anytime soon."

So, I liked Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. But I think certain things should've been expanded on a bit. Overall, it's a good film missing a FEW things IN MY OPINION. This sequel leaves me anxiously waiting for the next film in this series. (Maybe the apes are more evolved, talk fluently, and begin to emerge as Earth's dominant species?)

If you liked this review, read my other ones on movies, TV shows, and videogames. I have reviewed the 2014 films Transformers: Age of Extinction, Edge of Tomorrow, X-Men Days of Future Past, Godzilla, Blended, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, The Lego Movie, and more. I am actually still trying to find time for other film reviews, such as Robocop, Non-Stop, Divergent, Need for Speed, The Monuments Men, etc. I also review TV shows, such as Fox's "Sleepy Hollow", ABC's "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD", CW's "The 100", Fox's "I Wanna Marry Harry", NBC's "Crisis", Fox's "Gang Related" and more.

Good bye! Sincerely, AG732.
CocolfAug 10, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went to see this film at the cinema yesterday. It is absolutely awesome, and there is no stronger than I can use adjective. This suite is beautiful, and in addition to being extremely well done, it shows that the company monkeys is actually not that different from ours, which shows how man and monkey are extremely close and can perhaps even equal to the level of intelligence. I especially enjoyed seeing the monkeys grow in society, particularly seeing Maurice to school for example. And all this under the eye of an exemplary leader Caesar what.
In short, a movie to see with friends because it's just awesome.
BravesFanEliteJul 25, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I Love This Movie!!!! Matt Reeves is the Future of Hollywood Blockbusteres because of this amazing movie. I enjoyed his work such as Let Me In and Cloverfield. Expand
tvnewsguidoJul 29, 2014
Stimulating and Satisfying

A solid political thriller/siege flick. While it lacks the fun and optimism of the James Franco "Apes," it crafts a story that is stimulating and satisfying.
MateusNesiJul 28, 2014
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is definitely an awesome movie, I wouldn't say it's better than Rise of the Planet of Apes but, indeed, it's a movie that you can't miss. Everything looks amazing, writing, soundtrack, the acting, but speciallyDawn of the Planet of the Apes is definitely an awesome movie, I wouldn't say it's better than Rise of the Planet of Apes but, indeed, it's a movie that you can't miss. Everything looks amazing, writing, soundtrack, the acting, but specially the CGI, the details on Koba's face were extremely real, not to mention the fur. The story is very well written and developed, It also brings out messages that are very relevant nowadays. Expand
ThemfgamerAug 1, 2014
One of the best movie's i have watched. It really show's how the monkey's evolved from a normal functioning society where everyone follows the rules to a blood thirsty pack of monkey's looking for power. I was pretty angry when i found outOne of the best movie's i have watched. It really show's how the monkey's evolved from a normal functioning society where everyone follows the rules to a blood thirsty pack of monkey's looking for power. I was pretty angry when i found out that the main actor of the last movie wasn't going to be in the new movie. But the story and new character's really made up for the loss. 10/10 would watch again. Expand
JamesIrish68Nov 25, 2015
Andy Serkis is something else isn't he...Caesar, his character was outstanding..the facial expressions, the movement and the atmosphere. The technology was first rate. Some of the mass ape movement scenes are nearly up there with Jaws forAndy Serkis is something else isn't he...Caesar, his character was outstanding..the facial expressions, the movement and the atmosphere. The technology was first rate. Some of the mass ape movement scenes are nearly up there with Jaws for menace. The non ape actors aren't too shabby either. Jason Clarke and Gary Oldman are on top form. There is a little anti war anti human moralising but its not laid on too thick..Great fun Expand
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

The Good: While they are very different films, the sequel transitions flawlessly from the first and fits into the franchise perfectly. You get so used to the apes, that you forget that they are created with special effects. That is the mark of truly fantastic work and you can't help but be impressed. In films like this, it is easy for the human actors to fall to the wayside, but that does not happen here .. at least not with the leads. Jason Clarke's Malcolm believably connects with Caesar and forms a bond that I feared would not be achievable. It's a shame that Serkis won't get award consideration due to being a motion capture actor. He deserves it. The battles were intense and the film does a great job causing you to wonder if your favorite characters will live or die. Lastly, the film is very poignant and provides excellent social commentary without cramming it down your throat. A worthy successor, which is hard to come by these days.

The Bad: I gotta admit it ... scenes of monkeys, riding horses, wielding machine guns, and leaping through fire were among the more ridiculous scenes that I have ever seen. They were during some very serious moments, and I couldn't help but laugh at them. Some of the supporting cast was pretty cliche and forgettable. They also weren't well characterized and I didn't even see what happened to a few of them.
chrismars8Jul 12, 2014
freaking monkeys and guerillas on horses with guns during an apocalypse setting o yea and gary oldman enough said about this awesome movie its a must see summer movie.
R18Jul 12, 2014
One of the most intelligent and entertaining big-studio releases of the summer so far, Easily it's one of the best of the year, It is amazing the most exciting, and powerful of all the Apes films.
analogkid280Jul 13, 2014
A complete re-imagining of the movie "Battle for Planet of the Apes", this movie "Dawn" is exactly what the original creators of the first film wanted to do. That was until the Fox executives got their hands into the project and turned itA complete re-imagining of the movie "Battle for Planet of the Apes", this movie "Dawn" is exactly what the original creators of the first film wanted to do. That was until the Fox executives got their hands into the project and turned it into a virtual home movie and pilot for a failed TV series. It took 40 years but we finally have that great battle movie in our hands. The actors playing apes do an excellent job and you never once wonder if they are real or not you are just immersed in the film. The action and plot have many twists and turns and keeps you interested for the full duration of the film. I really love what these new movies do for the franchise giving it the credibility that the continuing 70's sequels could never give. Expand
SimpleMethodJul 14, 2014
The most entertaining, well told, socially conscious and aware films I've seen in a very long time. Loved the messages about the environment and gun violence. Wonderfully acted and shot, Dawn is a gem.
Movie1997Jul 12, 2014
Wholly crap! What an amazing film! The visuals were FANTASTIC, the characters were well realized, especially the apes, and the story is for the most part unpredictable and takes some not so heavy twists and turns that still present a strongWholly crap! What an amazing film! The visuals were FANTASTIC, the characters were well realized, especially the apes, and the story is for the most part unpredictable and takes some not so heavy twists and turns that still present a strong effect on the movie itself. There are really no plain and simple, black and white characters. As for the main characters (Caesar, Koba, Malcom and his family, even Dreyfus) present such three dimensional characters. Even for the supporting characters, they don't fully present three dimensional characters, but more of representations of different themes of characters that were used to see in movies. For example, you have a character that despises Apes for everything that's happened to the world when really he's afraid of this new world. Essentially, all the characters serve a purposeful role, three dimensional or not. In the end, it's a beautifully dark and exciting installment filled with beautiful cinematography, set pieces and fascinating characters (mainly Caesar and Koba). Overall, it's one of the greatest sequels of all time! I give this masterpiece an A+! Expand
sicilia013Jul 11, 2014
Excellent movie, excellent history, and excellent visuals, I was hoping to enjoy something like this since a long time, totally surpass the previous planet of the apes.
MattyiceJul 12, 2014
So far, this summer, movie wise, has been pretty meh. Some movies, like 22 Jump Street and X-Men stood out to be great films, but some have been poor. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is not only a great film, but a masterpiece that far exceedsSo far, this summer, movie wise, has been pretty meh. Some movies, like 22 Jump Street and X-Men stood out to be great films, but some have been poor. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is not only a great film, but a masterpiece that far exceeds all of its predecessors, from the original film to the good prequel Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is flawless in every way possible, from the plot to the CGI. The acting was generally solid, but nothing too special. However, Serkis is unbelievably good as Caesar once again and Toby Kebbell is even better as Koba. The plot created by Matt Reeves and co. is action packed, smart, emotional, and, in general, beautiful (for the lack of a better word). However, the apes were the stars of the show. Caesar, Maurice, Blue Eyes, and especially Koba were all great and each took on significant roles in the film. Lastly, the CGI. The effects in this film are the best I've possibly ever seen in a film. It was so realistic you would think the ape actors were in costumes. In general, this film is a must see this summer and easily turned an OK movie summer to a great one. This movie will make your summer. Expand
LTRJul 11, 2014
This movie is PERFECT! The story is great, the action is good, the music is good and Cesar is one of the best cgi characters of all time! You should 100% see this movie!
TheFineBroJul 11, 2014
Holy! I can´t believe how good this movie was. The story is perfect, the writing is powerful, the acting is super strong,the pacing is intense, the action is actually pretty violent and brutal, the music is empowering and inspiring, and theHoly! I can´t believe how good this movie was. The story is perfect, the writing is powerful, the acting is super strong,the pacing is intense, the action is actually pretty violent and brutal, the music is empowering and inspiring, and the movie is s freaking emotional it actually made me cry, twice. Best movie of the year, probably to stay there. Apes on horses! Expand
Forza182Jul 17, 2014
If you make it to the 15 minute mark and aren't completely blown away, reconsider your life and stop watching films altogether. Breath-taking, intense and mesmerizing. This is coming from someone who utterly loathed the last film. Do notIf you make it to the 15 minute mark and aren't completely blown away, reconsider your life and stop watching films altogether. Breath-taking, intense and mesmerizing. This is coming from someone who utterly loathed the last film. Do not waste any more time, go and see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes immediately. Expand
Eon2323Jul 14, 2014
The visual effects were breathtakingly spectacular as you see the sweat dropping off the hair bristles of these intelligent apes. You learn something here about human nature and survival through these apes, and the end results will have youThe visual effects were breathtakingly spectacular as you see the sweat dropping off the hair bristles of these intelligent apes. You learn something here about human nature and survival through these apes, and the end results will have you already anticipating the third installment. Expand
franissavioJul 11, 2014
Went to this movie with low expectations but WOW it blew me off. Andy Serkins and Caesar was awesome. Dialogues were very good. Fight between Caesar and Kobo was kind a weak but overall an excellent flick to start monsoon season over here.
DumboMageeJul 12, 2014
This movie was an absolute masterpiece. The emotional content in this movie is astounding, I was completely blown away by the acting, story and visuals. The themes and messages are strong, this is not an action/sci-fi movie made for morons,This movie was an absolute masterpiece. The emotional content in this movie is astounding, I was completely blown away by the acting, story and visuals. The themes and messages are strong, this is not an action/sci-fi movie made for morons, it's sophisticated and intelligent. If you're a fan of dumb movies like Transformers this is not the movie for you. Truly one of the best sci-fi movies ever made. Expand
JAK00101Jul 12, 2014
AWESOME the only thing I wished was that movie tickets weren't for one time use. What the heck I'might as well go watch it again the only negative was not enough oo aa
Benjamite001Jul 11, 2014
Honestly, a masterpiece in the world of cinema. No film this year or in the past decade has been this profound (excluding Nolan films). Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is an Instant Classic!
Fincasey1Jul 12, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Expands greatly upon the first in several ways I didn't expect. Film makers have done such a great job of humanizing the apes in this film that you can emotionally connect to them so well, especially between caesar and his family. The story was very thought provoking regarding civil war and societal issues. Not sure best way to describe it, but it was very satisfying. Expand
dharmaJul 25, 2014
Dawn of The Planet of the Apes continues the tradition of great, classic re-imagining of the Apes franchise. No more 'cheesy' makeup..with this installment, the apes are rendered with the help of mo-cap, to incredible life like detail. SerkisDawn of The Planet of the Apes continues the tradition of great, classic re-imagining of the Apes franchise. No more 'cheesy' makeup..with this installment, the apes are rendered with the help of mo-cap, to incredible life like detail. Serkis proves himself as one of the greatest actor since Lon Chaney, hiding his features under digital 'make up' to deliver a great performance as Ceasar, the leader of the apes. His performance is so remarkable that you'll be swept away in this tale. While it touches the 'usual, cliched' storyline in typical clash of civilizations type of film, it is a great blockbuster filled with great characterization and spectacle. Expand
bmaster4616Jul 15, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of my personal favorites of this year. The year started off rocky, but has blossome into a great year. With the few exceptions of Transformers, Divergent, and AMWTDITW, this year has been quite a success. To me it a more successful year than last year.

This movie takes place years after the Rise of the Planet of the Apes and is ten times better. Of course the "end of the world fanboy" in me was getting all hyped up for this movie and it didn't disappoint. Everything in the movie was pretty good, expect for the CGI at parts, but luckily CGI doesn't make a movie bad or good. Thoug at some parts the CGI was one of the best I've ever seen. The story is what got me hooked though. It really tells the tale of the struggles of a virus that almost wipes out the human race. The movie starts of slow, but it's mainly building up tension that builds joe between three groups. One ceaser is (spoiler) shot by Koba, all help breaks loose. The story is not totally comeplex and is quite a rehash, but they execute it perfectly. The acting is also fantastic by the lead human and it really shows the terrifying natur of the apes. Overall the movie is defiently worth seeing in theaters. 9.3
MJKPSTANJul 17, 2014
AMAZING POWERFUL STRONG EXTRAORDINARY!:). SO FREAKING GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. Such a great sic-fi movie. BEST MOVIE OF 2014 HANDS DOWN. 9.810.
victorhjklJul 27, 2014
Incredible movie, it surprises me in all the ways, the action as well as the drama scenes are amazing and the characters are touching - both, humans and apes! - the special effects, scenery it is all awesome. There are great actor like JasonIncredible movie, it surprises me in all the ways, the action as well as the drama scenes are amazing and the characters are touching - both, humans and apes! - the special effects, scenery it is all awesome. There are great actor like Jason Clarke and Andy Serkis, and we can't forget about the incredible direction of Matt Reeves. Expand
lukechristianscJul 15, 2014
" Dawn of the planet of the apes is a Miracle for 2014". We all seen Tim Burton's version of Planet of the apes but now comes a new chapter of basically the exact story but much different from Burton's theory of the story. Grade A
Filmwatcher123Jul 20, 2014
If you are a fan of Rise of the POTA you will definitely enjoy this movie. The story is much more lively and the expressions and animation on the apes makes for tense viewing despite the CGI. In most places the CGI is very impressive, withIf you are a fan of Rise of the POTA you will definitely enjoy this movie. The story is much more lively and the expressions and animation on the apes makes for tense viewing despite the CGI. In most places the CGI is very impressive, with only a few minor bumps here and there. The acting all around was great from both the mocap cast and the physical cast, dividing sympathy equally between the apes and the humans. All in all i feel this movie is a classic in it's own right and really captures the struggles and complications with leading a civilization at difficult times whilst trying to keep your humanity and dignity. Expand
F_C1992Jul 14, 2014
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a riveting, well-layered, intelligent and emotional film that will please fans and audiences looking for an evening's entertainment. Easily it's one of the best of the year, and not just a summer year.
shcakupJul 11, 2014
Awesome, I watched the opening of this film like a wildlife documentary. Beautiful in every detail. To me this is the best CGI I have seen to date by far. To be drawn into a world and of rich characters that barely talk and have fewAwesome, I watched the opening of this film like a wildlife documentary. Beautiful in every detail. To me this is the best CGI I have seen to date by far. To be drawn into a world and of rich characters that barely talk and have few expressions is quite something. This will not be everyones cup of tea I am sure but if enjoyed the first you will not be disappointed. The relaunch of the franchise is the most successful in history, far outdoing the originals and sketchy Marky Mark remake. It manages to make the premise seem real. Can't wait for the next film. Expand
fantasyJul 13, 2014
Tremendous movie in which you truly care about the characters. The GGI is amazing as there is no other word for it. The acting especially behind the mask of Caesar is beyond riveting. The human characters all pale in comparison. When youTremendous movie in which you truly care about the characters. The GGI is amazing as there is no other word for it. The acting especially behind the mask of Caesar is beyond riveting. The human characters all pale in comparison. When you leave the theater you can't help but think that if everyone can reason with one another war is not inevitable. Unfortunately, all it takes is one rotten apple in this case KOBA to start a war. With DAWN the APE franchise is reborn. Can't wait to see where it takes us next. Charlton Heston would be proud. Expand
Fluid_DynamicsJul 12, 2014
You'll be thinking the entire movie that some of the characters should be saying:

"Damn! I'm soo thirsty!! Especially since, not one of us have had any food or water for an entire week, and a few of us have lost a lot of blood. Am I

"Damn! I'm soo thirsty!!
Especially since, not one of us have had any food or water for an entire week, and a few of us have lost a lot of blood. Am I right? You're thirsty too right?"

Very enjoyable movie, although we thought Edge of Tomorrow was surprisingly even better. That movie will have a long tail.
joyalJul 11, 2014
Awesome Movie,Mind blowing visual treat- Emotional and Beautiful filmed , Superb Sound effects and Marvelous Cinematography- Very Good Story And Acting plus Excellent Direction and Outstanding Visual Treat make This Dawn Of Planet Of ApesAwesome Movie,Mind blowing visual treat- Emotional and Beautiful filmed , Superb Sound effects and Marvelous Cinematography- Very Good Story And Acting plus Excellent Direction and Outstanding Visual Treat make This Dawn Of Planet Of Apes is a Blockbuster Film of 2014!! LOVED IT -GO FOR IT..!!!! Expand
ContinualAug 7, 2014
I'm sorry if you like this movie because to me the only people who could honestly have thought this sequel was good are the ones that are die hard fans. We've seen the premise of humans being killed off almost to extinction numerous times,I'm sorry if you like this movie because to me the only people who could honestly have thought this sequel was good are the ones that are die hard fans. We've seen the premise of humans being killed off almost to extinction numerous times, something refreshing would have been nice. The plot of this movie would get a C for attempting a mediocre plot. A movie about Apes and humans having conflict and then it's resolved but they still are going to war now (next movie) makes zero sense.....I enjoyed the 1st one but this movie had so many elements that i've seen before it just seemed stale and unoriginal. I left the theater think okay...so they dropped the ball Expand
Werty11rJul 14, 2014
Now that's what I call a quality movie. Excellent visuals and a story to back it up. This movies so good that I don't even need to have 150 characters to explain it.
OhTheDerpJul 29, 2014
This is, without a doubt, one of the most boring movies I've seen all year. The action was incredibly short-lived when it actually occurred. I was hoping for an action movie, not a drama.
chrisjones914Jul 11, 2014
This is by far the best and most entertaining movie that I have seen in a long time! Everything about this film is just dripping with intrigue, especially the opening sequence that shows the apes way of life and how they have adapted toThis is by far the best and most entertaining movie that I have seen in a long time! Everything about this film is just dripping with intrigue, especially the opening sequence that shows the apes way of life and how they have adapted to living! To me it was truly remarkable and I would recommend this film to just about about anyone! Expand
darkbeast119Jul 12, 2014
It was EPIC ,great story, great action, and very balanced in how it is told. Showing apes and humans can coexist but with a simple hatred and distrust can lead a all out war. dawn of the planet of the apes is a awesome sequel that deserves toIt was EPIC ,great story, great action, and very balanced in how it is told. Showing apes and humans can coexist but with a simple hatred and distrust can lead a all out war. dawn of the planet of the apes is a awesome sequel that deserves to be called the blockbuster film of 2014 and the acting was utterly superb too. Expand
jeremypJul 13, 2014
It's a better movie than the first sequel, and the CGI is pretty flawless, but in the end it's
Just another "humans screw up again" movie, with an added "noble savage"
theme tacked on. I think the critics like it because it's superior to
Just another "humans screw up again" movie, with an added "noble savage"
theme tacked on. I think the critics like it because it's superior to most summer sci-fi crap. Andy Serkis is the best part of the movie, and he better get a nomination for it. His skill is in his facial expressions being so subtle, necessitated by having such little dialog.
Tyray23CenaSuckJul 11, 2014
Great, amazing, exciting, epic, smart, and emotional all in one terrific masterpiece is what Dawn of the Planet of the apes is. Its quite simply the best movie I have ever watched.
DemoraseJul 30, 2014
Not a bad movie per se, but at the same time there really is nothing interesting to this story. What's the takeaway, that different species will fight to protect themselves when they feel threatened, and violence is not nice? Because somehowNot a bad movie per se, but at the same time there really is nothing interesting to this story. What's the takeaway, that different species will fight to protect themselves when they feel threatened, and violence is not nice? Because somehow that wasn't obvious??

It may look like a smart movie, but at the end of the day it's really a dumb movie with no idea of what it's trying to convey. And it's boring, which critics seem to automatically confuse for deep and provoking.
fallcreatureAug 28, 2014
The film sucks. Its the same thing over and over again from other planet aps movies. The movie was not thought out well. They just stuck what ever they needed in their and it terrible.
GreatMartinJul 11, 2014
Comes February, 2015, an ape may win the Best Actor Oscar as Andy Serkis gets first billing as Caesar deservedly if nothing else but for the acting he does with his eye. Very close behind him is Toby Kebbell as Koba, another ape. None of theComes February, 2015, an ape may win the Best Actor Oscar as Andy Serkis gets first billing as Caesar deservedly if nothing else but for the acting he does with his eye. Very close behind him is Toby Kebbell as Koba, another ape. None of the actors playing humans such as Jason Clarke, Gary Oldman, Keri Russell and Kodi Smit-McPhee stand a chance when they are on screen with the aforementioned apes or the other ape actors like Judy Greer, Karim Konoval and Nick Thurston.

First and foremost I must emphasize that “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” must be seen on the BIG movie screen just as “Gravity” had to be seen in a movie theatre to really be appreciated.

The only other ‘Ape” movie I have seen was the very first in 1968 and just the production values from makeup to costumes to special effects since then is a show in itself. It is beyond my comprehension how visual effects supervisors Joe Letteri and Dan Lemmon achieved what they do in this movie.

The direction gets the strong hand that it needs from Matt Reeves. The script writers Mark Bomback, Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver follow the trend and true westerns of the past with bad guys and apes versus good guys and apes, including a high noon shoot out and a major draw dropping fight out between the hero and villain--no, not who you think!

The bottom line is that “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” has to be seen in a movie house on the large or it will be just another meaningless movie. Get ready for an ape to win the major acting prizes!
SergePJul 12, 2014
Very good drama and well executed either by acting or CGI. The few action scenes are intense and keep you on edge. A little bit predictable, how ever acceptable. Hail Caesar!
Axl17Jul 12, 2014
zin814Jul 14, 2014
I must say that this is the first movie made me feel so emotionally touched, it's a masterpiece with all needed factors to make me and everyone else think about what humans are doing to animals and the price we'll have to pay for that in future
drlowdonJul 27, 2014
Set a decade after the first film with the world’s population decimated by the virus designed to help cure Alzheimer’s, this sequel focuses largely on Caesar, the super intelligent ape from the original movie, and his tribe.

First and

First and foremost Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a remarkable technical achievement setting a new benchmark for CGI acting and the emotion conveyed on the faces of the apes is quite frankly unbelievable. Fortunately there is an entertaining plot to match making for an excellent all round watch.
mrniceAug 10, 2014
It aims for spectacular action and set pieces, and achieves that to a large extent. But I didn't find the story as interesting as in 'Rise...' because now the main developments have played out in the earlier film (where it was superIt aims for spectacular action and set pieces, and achieves that to a large extent. But I didn't find the story as interesting as in 'Rise...' because now the main developments have played out in the earlier film (where it was super interesting to see how apes could plausibly become super-intelligent and escape captivity), and the story left to 'Dawn...' is how things escalate from there. Which is pretty easy to imagine. Some humans and some intelligent apes have a conflict and it escalates. No matter how much action and drama you push along with such a story, it's limited in its potential. I had fun interpreting it as a metaphor for the Iraq oil invasion though. Although an insane interpretation, it fitted so well for the first half of the movie. And if seen as propaganda against Islam, the movie gets the subtext it otherwise lacks. Expand
Tessara_VejganNov 11, 2014
I expected to see a good sf flick not a pathetically slapped together f****** drama. Incredibly boring to watch. Among the worst movies I have ever seen. *vomiting sounds* Acting was s***, story was s***. There is no story buildup (unless youI expected to see a good sf flick not a pathetically slapped together f****** drama. Incredibly boring to watch. Among the worst movies I have ever seen. *vomiting sounds* Acting was s***, story was s***. There is no story buildup (unless you count that 1-2 min intro explanation), no character development, instead its just thrown in your face without proper explanation. Who the hell comes up with c*** like this? Utter waste of my time. Expand
masterjohnson1Aug 11, 2014
This is one of the best movies to come out this year, I loved every second of this movie the apes are just great and there is always one crazy in movie like this, everyone should watch this if they know what a good movie is
jwarkDec 7, 2014
On the verge of being a cash grab. It was pretty uninspired compared to it's predecessors. I feel like I'm over rating it giving it a 6. It's only because I'm such a huge fan of the story that I gave it a 6. I really hope this downward trendOn the verge of being a cash grab. It was pretty uninspired compared to it's predecessors. I feel like I'm over rating it giving it a 6. It's only because I'm such a huge fan of the story that I gave it a 6. I really hope this downward trend in quality doesn't continue. Expand
jyeager11Jul 12, 2014
Saw it last night...

I loved 'Rise' but despite its great reviews, I left 'Dawn' feeling a little hollow. While this movie is set in the same world as 'Rise', I personally did not see much of that movie in this one. So I looked up the
Saw it last night...

While this movie is set in the same world as 'Rise', I personally did not see much of that movie in this one. So I looked up the credits, and to my surprise, noticed the writing and production are being handled by the same people in both movies... with the exception of Mark Bomback, who has been added as both writer and producer.

The most prestigious names in Mark Bomback's writing resume are Live Free Or Die Hard (2007), and the Total Recall (2012) reboot. As for his producing resume, I'll spare you (it's worse).

6 different production companies were involved with 'Rise'. Only one – Chernin Entertainment – is listed for 'Dawn'. While one would expect the latter to tell a more focused and enjoyable film, it's actually 'Rise' that felt more fleshed-out and cohesive. That first movie was an unexpected hit. It pleasantly surprised everyone by being a cut above the generic fare that Hollywood has been giving us since the 90's ended. The writing, the directing, the photography... it felt like a lot of very talented people got together and really, really tried for that one. I did not get the same sense here.

Could the addition of writer and Executive Producer Mark Bomback have negatively impacted the end product that much? I'm not sure. I wasn't there. And it's not like 'Dawn' is a *bad* movie. There's a lot about it I enjoyed (beginning with Caesar's facial expressions) but as with movies like Maleficent, Oblivion, Noah, Immortals, 300 Rise of an Empire, etc. there's nothing technically wrong with this movie. I enjoyed them all on different levels. But there's nothing there I'm likely to purchase a physical copy of anytime soon.

It seems Hollywood never intended to launch a new Apes trilogy. They had a wonderful idea to create a prequel, and it worked. We could have very easily transitioned from 'Rise' to either of Heston's or Wahlberg's Planet Of The Apes movies. But it became a commercial hit, so we have to squeeze 2 new chapters in there before the Apes truly take over.

That's how this felt. Milk this cow dry for another 2 chapters, and then what? We'll have caught up to the timeline where the Apes rule the world. Will they leave well enough alone? Of course not. They'll probably film an entirely new trilogy set in that world, effectively rebooting the entire thing.

Though I wouldn't call 'Dawn' a bad movie, I fear we are currently witnessing the Transformers-ification of the Planet Of The Apes franchise. So enjoy this one while you can, because something tells me these will become increasingly soulless with every chapter.

Just like a certain other franchise.
Rob7309Jul 11, 2014
An awesome movie. I was sucked in from the start and was totally engaged until the credits started to roll. It improves upon its predecessor in every way and continues the story in a very satisfying way. The acting is great, especially fromAn awesome movie. I was sucked in from the start and was totally engaged until the credits started to roll. It improves upon its predecessor in every way and continues the story in a very satisfying way. The acting is great, especially from the apes, and the visuals are as good as it gets. Best movie of the summer and the year. Expand
ivan_terribleAug 9, 2014
I was expecting a good storyline, but it's not. Maybe I belonged to old generation because i found this movie a bit boring, not enough tensions and not enough character developments. I think probably this movie was targeting young genders. II was expecting a good storyline, but it's not. Maybe I belonged to old generation because i found this movie a bit boring, not enough tensions and not enough character developments. I think probably this movie was targeting young genders. I still like the prequel better than this. Expand
PorkoJul 11, 2014
Brilliant ! I enjoyed this from the start to the end. It stays true to the original planet of the apes movies. I really hope they keep producing these into the future, I really want to see more !
ScribeHardJul 11, 2014
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a film loaded with ideas, and good ones. It has good ideas about themes. It has good ideas about characters. It has good ideas about messages. But those themes and ideas and messages have all been doneDawn of the Planet of the Apes is a film loaded with ideas, and good ones. It has good ideas about themes. It has good ideas about characters. It has good ideas about messages. But those themes and ideas and messages have all been done before, and not only better, but fuller. Once this film sets up its initial framework, it ignores better and fuller and instead relies on its VFX and apes the hollow action films that have come before it. Expand
rrrrrrAug 8, 2014
I can't believe the reviews are so high, it doesn't make sense. I feel asleep at one point because it is so slow. Rent if you must see it... the director and scriptwriters haven't done their job. Everything rests on the VFX and simulationI can't believe the reviews are so high, it doesn't make sense. I feel asleep at one point because it is so slow. Rent if you must see it... the director and scriptwriters haven't done their job. Everything rests on the VFX and simulation crew who make this movie watchable for 10 great minutes. Then we go off into cliched character doing predictable things except for the main character… Expand
CPD98Jul 27, 2014
Decepcionante secuela de una precuela que me encantó. Los diálogos son muy pobres, el guión es pésimo (si el mono malo ese no estuviera en la peli la propia peli no tendría razón de ser), trama leeenta y aburrida. Típico de Hollywood, teDecepcionante secuela de una precuela que me encantó. Los diálogos son muy pobres, el guión es pésimo (si el mono malo ese no estuviera en la peli la propia peli no tendría razón de ser), trama leeenta y aburrida. Típico de Hollywood, te ponen unos cuantos monos realistas y una ciudad abandonada que da el pego y la gente lo flipa, yo no soy tan estúpido, yo buscaba algo mas inteligente. La precuela fue genial pero esta es una pérdida de tiempo total. Y al final de la película no pasa nada nuevo, no ha avanzado en la historia. Harán otra, pero yo no pagaré por verla ni loco. Rollazo, es lo que tiene confiarse de las buenas críticas... Expand
franticvikeSep 9, 2014
Saw this a while ago and never bother to look at the reviews. Absolutely astounded to see this so well reviewed. Thought it was punishingly horrible piece of pseudo psychological garbage. You almost couldn't write a more hackneyed scriptSaw this a while ago and never bother to look at the reviews. Absolutely astounded to see this so well reviewed. Thought it was punishingly horrible piece of pseudo psychological garbage. You almost couldn't write a more hackneyed script for this post apocalyptic universe. Oh the apes are like us, they have thoughts and feelings and there are "complex" issues in their society. Oh no, an accident, oh no betrayal, oh yay redemption. Really, this is a terrible movie. The effects etc are decent but don't waste your time or money. Chef, or Most Wanted Man, from what I've seen, are far superior. Heck even Guardians has a more compelling story for my money. Expand
busbfranJul 13, 2014
Considered as one of the best movie of the year, planet of the apes takes it's strengthens and expands on the excellent universe. The squeal to the reboot in 2011, planet of the apes needs no introduction. An amazing Cast, best looking apes!Considered as one of the best movie of the year, planet of the apes takes it's strengthens and expands on the excellent universe. The squeal to the reboot in 2011, planet of the apes needs no introduction. An amazing Cast, best looking apes! and for the story! its note worthy. Your garnered the admission price just to look at visuals. A+ Quality, bring on the next squeal! Expand
silversun101Aug 2, 2014
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the equivalent of a holding pattern. A film who's seemingly only purpose is to set up the events for the inevitable third film. The first in what I guess will now be a trilogy, Rise of the Planet of the Apes,Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the equivalent of a holding pattern. A film who's seemingly only purpose is to set up the events for the inevitable third film. The first in what I guess will now be a trilogy, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, was a perfectly contained movie, showing us how the world of Planet of the Apes came to be while giving sly nods to the original film. At the end of Rise, the story is concluded and nothing more needed to be said. And indeed, nothing more is said with Dawn. While the depictions of the Ape society are fun (and indeed the best part of the movie) the "drama" between the apes and humans that this film hangs on is flat, overwrought, and hopelessly predictable. All this film does is draw out what we, as an audience, could infer happened from the closing credits of it predecessor without bringing anything new or interesting to the table (aside form monkeys with machine guns). While an entertaining distraction and a true achievement in the field of special effects, I left the theater with the distinct notion that nothing substantial or satisfying had actually HAPPENED in the film.

A movie that didn't need to be, it poses no convincing argument for its own existence.
SmartGunJul 21, 2014
Tell me how it ends. After an hour of cheesy dialog, foolish storytelling and uninteresting characters my wife and I left the theater laughing at the waste of our time and money. Understand that there is a climactic battle between men andTell me how it ends. After an hour of cheesy dialog, foolish storytelling and uninteresting characters my wife and I left the theater laughing at the waste of our time and money. Understand that there is a climactic battle between men and apes ---- hopefully a battle of mutual destruction so that they can't make a sequel. Really bad movie. Expand
adamjonesJul 29, 2014
Come on guys this one is not good.. It did keep my attention though, so for that (and because I'm in a really good mood today) I'll say an even 5 out of 10.

-a
DOTPOTASUCKSJul 24, 2014
This movie was terrible. The overwhelming positive reviews are misleading, as this was 2 wasted hours and $27 for two Ultra AVX tickets I will never get back.
justbart4uJul 20, 2014
This movie has no IQ. It's almost the worst of the series, very sappy and obnoxious, ripe with stereotypical embarrassments, and horrible mini-plot lines, just plain gawd awful, couldn’t wait to leave the theater.
Anyone who saw the original
Anyone who saw the original with Heston to compare how it all began ought to pass this by or else will be retching. Where was the Statue of Liberty? Apparently 3000 miles away and still standing (waiting for the sequel).
Viper8787Jul 25, 2014
Best movie of the year so far!! Enjoyed this movie so much nothing I can complain about. The action was amazing and kept me gripped to my seat the whole time. The special effects are some of the best I have ever seen in a movie. TheBest movie of the year so far!! Enjoyed this movie so much nothing I can complain about. The action was amazing and kept me gripped to my seat the whole time. The special effects are some of the best I have ever seen in a movie. The characters and story were amazing and just the right amount of drama to make this an amazing movie all around. Expand
nerdingJul 11, 2014
one hell of a movie

one hell of a movie

honestly, i don't know where to start. but, i guess i'll start with what i love the most about this movie which is the visual effect. they makes apes so interesting, i can watch a half an hour close up of those apes, with all variation of emotions. so many details. beside the apes, other scenes which need a visual effect also done beautifully. other aspects like cinematography and directing style also come close. Mark Revees definitely knew what he's doing. the epic scenes were very well handled. it was emotional and well... epic. and most importantly, we are all saved from the lame, dumb, overly done humors. thank god.

there were none that i dislike about it. but, somewhere around 45 minutes in, i got rather bored. they were just arguing. this is a very important part of the story, so they should have make it more exciting. but, there were still exciting parts slipped in though... one thing i hate is the cliché 'you were rained with bullets and survive without a scratch' kind of thing. come on, people, what are the odds? anyway, you should watch this...worth the money... awesome smart movie... if you like DOFP... this one is in the same level...
kenenjJul 16, 2014
If you're a guy, you're sure to like this. If not, think twice. It's very violent, and loud. First the premise; that most of the humans are wiped out by a worldwide flu that apes are immune to. Second, that in the next 10 years that apesIf you're a guy, you're sure to like this. If not, think twice. It's very violent, and loud. First the premise; that most of the humans are wiped out by a worldwide flu that apes are immune to. Second, that in the next 10 years that apes learn to speak, but don't do so because, well, they're apes? Then the humans and apes find each other and all heck ensues. One ape in particular, is not inclined to make peace and wants war with the humans...... It gets really loud. I ended up with a headache, a backache, and a stomach ache from watching this. All I have to say is, my husband loved it. Expand
aztecinkcJul 28, 2014
Nothing could have prepared me for the dazzling special effects and CGI. Unfortunately, nothing could prepare me for the trite story, wooden acting, faux-Shakespearean melodrama, and overly-long set pieces. Apparently, our collective bar forNothing could have prepared me for the dazzling special effects and CGI. Unfortunately, nothing could prepare me for the trite story, wooden acting, faux-Shakespearean melodrama, and overly-long set pieces. Apparently, our collective bar for what passes as truly remarkable has dropped so low that this film could dazzle so many watchers. Not for a second did I buy the anthropomorphizing of the apes. And the vocal track almost made me long for that unbearable Bane v.o. A mess from start to finish, and sure to be a huge hit and produce an endless number of sequels (Transformers anyone?) Expand
canadianrugbyJul 19, 2014
Story: 7 - great concept, but falls short at some points. Main character Caesar, is unrealisticly good and wise.

CGI: 7 - For the most part, great. But some parts (especially bear at start of movie) the CGI is so laughably bad it took me out of the movie.

Acting: 7 - The humans were all great. The apes, talked like Tarzan in 50's movies.

Action: 9 - Though for most of the movie the going is slow, the action is overall very entertaining.

Final verdict: If you're a fan of sci-fi movies this is a must see. A great movie to take your older kids to. Nothing groundbreaking here but definitely worth seeing.
TVJerryJul 15, 2014
This sequel picks up a few years after the simian virus has devastated most of the human population. A group of genetically evolved apes leads a peaceful existence until a band of human survivors appears. This film spends more time in the apeThis sequel picks up a few years after the simian virus has devastated most of the human population. A group of genetically evolved apes leads a peaceful existence until a band of human survivors appears. This film spends more time in the ape world than it does with humans, which, considering the technology, makes it a mostly-animated film. Although there are a few moments of action, it's primarily a political drama. All that being said, they've managed to craft a compelling story and create a pretty convincing world. The storytelling can get a bit heavy handed and predictable, but it's still an effective adventure. Expand
jetbrownJul 27, 2014
Just got back from the cinema watching this one with my dad. I was really looking forward to seeing it, and for the most part I thought it was a great film. The writing was good, the acting was fantastic. It's amazing that we've reached aJust got back from the cinema watching this one with my dad. I was really looking forward to seeing it, and for the most part I thought it was a great film. The writing was good, the acting was fantastic. It's amazing that we've reached a point with CGI where you totally empathise with and even shed some tears over some computer generated characters, but that's how I felt watching Caeser and the other apes. They certainly were the stars of the movie, with the human characters taking a back seat - but we wouldn't want it any other way. That said, some of the scenes when humans and the apes were connecting on a deeper level and building trust with each other were some of the strongest in the whole film. I think it's an allegory for the connection we need to make with animals and the environment - one that we have lost over the past few centuries. Some parts of the film I felt were a bit cliche and predictable though so that's why I'm giving it a 9. But overall it was engrossing and wonderful to watch. And my dad didn't fall asleep! Which is saying something in itself. I look forward to the next film. I just love science-fiction! Expand
DQ_SlotkinsJul 22, 2014
The effects and the motion capture work was spectacular. The plot was so old and tired that I saw it coming after 7 minutes — the whole damn plot. It's as if they created the look of the movie and had no energy to make the story so theyThe effects and the motion capture work was spectacular. The plot was so old and tired that I saw it coming after 7 minutes — the whole damn plot. It's as if they created the look of the movie and had no energy to make the story so they borrowed a plot from an old Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movie. What a let down. Expand
MovieFan123Jul 18, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After seeing Dawn of the Planet of the Apes I was truly stunned. Everything in this film is incredible. From the motion capture acting by Andy Serkis to the wonderful special effects this movie is a fulfilling and rewarding. Beginning ten years after Rise of the Planet of the Apes the ape leader Ceaser tries to maintain peace between the few human survivors of the Simian Flu and his tribe of apes. However, the peace is destroyed when Koba an ape who hates humans kills Ceaser and blames the humans. However, Ceaser is still alive and it is now up to him to take back his kingdom all while Koba and the apes are attacking the humans. Before the film came out I did not know what to think. However, I was surprised by the emotional level of the film and how you could really see the emotion on the faces of all the apes. Motion capture changed this film franchise for the better. Also the script is amazing as it really has a large level of depth to it. Now I come to the acting. Jason Clarke who portrays Malcom a human is wonderful and gives a level of emotion to his character. Andy Serkis however playing Ceaser steals the show as he rightfully should. His character is so complex and he portrays him perfectly. In conclusion this film is a nearly perfect work of science fiction and will be remembered for years to come. Expand