8.2

1. Feb 24, 2015
    The only thing I didn't like in this movie is how everything goes wrong almost 100% of the time. I feel like it's an overused cheesy storytelling device where everything is going along just fine, then hey someone forgot to do this, or someone didn't do that. Of course in order to have a story you need conflict, but please... give me a good solid reason for that conflict to exist. One plotThe only thing I didn't like in this movie is how everything goes wrong almost 100% of the time. I feel like it's an overused cheesy storytelling device where everything is going along just fine, then hey someone forgot to do this, or someone didn't do that. Of course in order to have a story you need conflict, but please... give me a good solid reason for that conflict to exist. One plot convenience is fine, but this movie was kinda rife with them. Still loved it 8/10 Expand
  2. Feb 20, 2015
    This is an entertaining movie that brings a bit of Shakespearean drama to the science fiction world in the relationships that exist on both sides and between the two, and the tension throughout is palpable. It does a good job in picking up from the previous movie and sets itself up for the next movie. This movie should appeal to except maybe for those who cannot get passed the idea of apesThis is an entertaining movie that brings a bit of Shakespearean drama to the science fiction world in the relationships that exist on both sides and between the two, and the tension throughout is palpable. It does a good job in picking up from the previous movie and sets itself up for the next movie. This movie should appeal to except maybe for those who cannot get passed the idea of apes talking, which is a shame. This series seems to be picking up a good following and justifiably so. Expand
  3. Feb 10, 2015
    I was very disappointed in this movie, reason's being the producer's jump start this second installment
    story away from 'rise of the planet of the apes' which starred james franco.
    this film see's caeser played by andy sekis, is forced to defend his family and fellow apes. which seem's to me could of been a screen-play for the third installment film. however don't get me wrong it
    story away from 'rise of the planet of the apes' which starred james franco.
    wrong it still turned out to be a great summer film. great performance by veteran star gary oldman
  4. Feb 7, 2015
    Initially, for the first half hour into the movie I was like "What on earth am I watching? An ape documentary?" I was caught off guard when everything started to happen so quickly. and the blood started to spill. Very intense movie, can't wait for the next sequel.
  5. Feb 1, 2015
    Great film. Brilliant effects and very believable. I can't really think of anything bad about this film. It was very good and entertaining. Watch it if you can.
  6. Jan 26, 2015
    I cannot believe this got so well noted. The movie is a compilation of the genre's cliches: the **** that behaves like an **** because he is an **** I mean come on, shooting the ape, then hiding the shotgun+almost kicking baby ape. This is poorly written, instead of trying to find a believable story where apes/humans actually try to trust each other but fail, let's just create an ****I cannot believe this got so well noted. The movie is a compilation of the genre's cliches: the **** that behaves like an **** because he is an **** I mean come on, shooting the ape, then hiding the shotgun+almost kicking baby ape. This is poorly written, instead of trying to find a believable story where apes/humans actually try to trust each other but fail, let's just create an **** character that behaves with no logic at all.

I had to stop mid movie because the ropes were too big. It felt like a 1995 movie, where you can tell what's going to happen 20 minutes before it does. Not fun, boring, uncreative. This movie is a shame for its writters.
  7. Jan 26, 2015
    Great film. The first of the new series was utterly surprising in a good way. I did´nt know what to expect. The second i knew what to expect, and I was very happy when I left the Cinema. Good story, acting usefull, effects great and overall just plain good entertainment.
  8. Jan 23, 2015
    the storyline was amazing, can't think of another word to describe it. i enjoyed every second of this movie, if its the story, or the actors, even the effects was detailed much more then most people will notice.
    i can't think of one bad thing to say about this movie.
    if you watched the first movie this one is a must watch
  9. Jan 23, 2015
    A sequel that is without a doubt better than its predecessor, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes proves to be the more mature of the two films. The tension between apes and humans is at its peak, even so, the desire to re-estabilish a unity is present in members of both nations, whilst others are ready to engage in an all-out-war. The result is an action-packed sci-fi delight, with aA sequel that is without a doubt better than its predecessor, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes proves to be the more mature of the two films. The tension between apes and humans is at its peak, even so, the desire to re-estabilish a unity is present in members of both nations, whilst others are ready to engage in an all-out-war. The result is an action-packed sci-fi delight, with a humanistic conflict at its heart, albeit the emotive themes are fairly cliché and the movie is predictable at times. Expand
  10. Jan 19, 2015
    Dawn of the Planet of the apes explores the similarities and differences between apes and humans and of their perceptions of the world and their dissimilar ideas of family. Although it does succeed overall, it needlessly suffers from a couple of cringe-worthy moments and cliched sub-plots. There are a few unnecessary characters which could have easily been cut out from the entire movie inDawn of the Planet of the apes explores the similarities and differences between apes and humans and of their perceptions of the world and their dissimilar ideas of family. Although it does succeed overall, it needlessly suffers from a couple of cringe-worthy moments and cliched sub-plots. There are a few unnecessary characters which could have easily been cut out from the entire movie in order to have a more compact narrative.
    But I have to compliment the audacity shown by director Matt Reeves. He feels no shame or discomfort in telling a story with talking apes riding horses. He has put his heart and soul into the picture (as has everyone) and you have to admire that attitude. He's not crafted just an entertaining blockbuster, but rather a very intimate and intelligent film, clearly inspired by Shakespeare's Henry V, that manages to touch on deep fears, traumas, fantasies and hopes. It's flawed but it works.
  11. Jan 19, 2015
    If you like one-dimensional characters that predictably propel the plot through its inevitably cliched hoops in embarrassing ways, this movie is for you. Mindless assembly line Hollywood production in its purest form. Also, computer apes with faces of permanent emotion. Perhaps they knew that if they looked happy during the making of this film, it would count as a lie and Jason Clark wouldIf you like one-dimensional characters that predictably propel the plot through its inevitably cliched hoops in embarrassing ways, this movie is for you. Mindless assembly line Hollywood production in its purest form. Also, computer apes with faces of permanent emotion. Perhaps they knew that if they looked happy during the making of this film, it would count as a lie and Jason Clark would have to hurt them. Oooook! Expand
  12. Jan 17, 2015
    "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" - the sequel to "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" - more than capitalises on the promise of "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", delivering a captivating and electrifying sci-fi whirlwind of ambition, action, intellect and heart. The cinematography, editing, visual effects, directing match and exceed the high standards set by its predecessor, but what truly"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" - the sequel to "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" - more than capitalises on the promise of "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", delivering a captivating and electrifying sci-fi whirlwind of ambition, action, intellect and heart. The cinematography, editing, visual effects, directing match and exceed the high standards set by its predecessor, but what truly sets "Dawn" apart from others of its ilk is the surprising depth of thought and feeling that belies and bolsters its dazzling spectacle. The thematic foundations that were laid in "Rise" are built upon here and then some. What that film started to explore - human nature and animal instinct and how frighteningly closely those two things intersect - is looked at more in-depth and given a heightened sense of urgency in Dawn of the Planet of the Ape's post-apocalyptic context. Films like "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" gives the blockbuster genre a credibility that it is losing and shows you do not have to sacrifice a heart, a soul, a brain for a large budget - and they can be as big as each other. This is a franchise still alive, kicking and thumping its chest. Expand
  13. Jan 11, 2015
    Absolutely the best movie of 2014. The CGI effects were unbelievable and Andi Serkis is able to act incredibly as Caeser. Acting is also top-notch and the story fits in well with both the prequel and the original films. Don't put off seeing this movie because the concept might sound 'silly' or if you are a Religious nut, because missing out on a film this great is just insulting.
  14. Jan 11, 2015
    This marks another really solid entry into this revamped franchise. Visually it is amazing, and there is actually some depth to it. It will be interesting to see where the next one will pick up.
  15. Jan 11, 2015
    This sequel is less impressive than its predecessor. There’s much events that can be predictable, much slow action sequences and the characters are mostly terrible.

The main issue I have with this movie is that there’s no clear main character, the movie kept changing focus, and I guess that’s the point but it feels stupid. There’s also too much focus on the apes and too little on the humans, it’s understandable but I want more focus on the humans. More on the characters: there’s no chemistry between them and it feels dumb and awful. Another flaw is that I could predict almost every main plot detail in the movie, much more than in Rise of The Planet of The Apes. I also expected a greater soundtrack from Michael Giacchino, who gave us the awesome soundtrack in “Star Trek” (2009) and the TV-show “Fringe”. The action is just as the soundtrack: less impressive and less unique. The movie does in fact have some great moments, it do raise even more ethical questions than the previous movie. It also does a great job when it comes to illustrate what no knowledge results into. The movie is also emotional powerful, and the CGI is spectacular. It’s much clearer and detailed than in the previous movie. Not flawless though.

The opening scene is exiting and the first act is totally superior over the second and the third. They are predictable, slow and less entertaining. The ending however, could have played out much better. The previous movie was much about science; this however got a more basic tone about survival and coexistence. It’s too boring for my taste.

Dawn of The Planet of The Apes gets a 6.8/10.
  16. Jan 10, 2015
    Great movie, easily the very best of the Planet of the Apes series. All the characters were believable, probably more so the apes, with beautifully rendered facial expressions and emotions. A fantastically impressive surprise!
  17. Jan 4, 2015
    I don't think i found this movie as great as most people did. Andy Serkis is amazing as usual at his Mo-Cap and plays Ceasar flawlessly. The visual effects are also amazing! However the film feels a bit over long and the story is good, however it is predictable. The human roles are played well but not that amazingly. The symbolism is pretty obvious but good and cinematography is prettyI don't think i found this movie as great as most people did. Andy Serkis is amazing as usual at his Mo-Cap and plays Ceasar flawlessly. The visual effects are also amazing! However the film feels a bit over long and the story is good, however it is predictable. The human roles are played well but not that amazingly. The symbolism is pretty obvious but good and cinematography is pretty decent. However nothing seems really atand outish other than Serkis. Expand
  18. Jan 3, 2015
    Sou um pouco suspeito para escrever sobre, pois sou muito fã de toda a série de filmes do Planeta dos Macacos. Acho essa nova série muito boa, na verdade, supera a original!! Esse segundo filme eleva ainda mais o nível da série e deixa a expectativa lá em cima para a parte 3. Esperando ansioso.
  19. Dec 27, 2014
    I just recently watched this movie without any pre-made judgements or expectations, because I did not know what kind of reviews/ratings it had gotten. And I was pleasantly surprised.

I felt somewhat neutral towards the first movie of this reboot of the "Apes" franchise, but I did enjoy it. And this second movie blew the first one out of the water. At first, I thought the focus on

At first, I thought the focus on mainly the apes was kind of stupid, but as the film progressed, I became attached to these computer-generated beings on screen. The acting of the human characters, as well as the acting of the people used to make the CGI apes was superb and realistic. For real, Andy Serkis could win an Oscar for his performance as Caesar.

I was full invested in Caesar and Koba's stories. If a film can make me care that much about computer-generated monkeys, it's done its job well. The action kept moving along and kept me lured in. You fully understand each character, human and ape, and their motivations for their actions.

Although I thoroughly enjoy action films, this is not the type of movie that I would purchase after seeing for the fist time. But if this is your type of film, buy it on Blu-Ray. The CGI is absolutely stunning.
  20. Dec 21, 2014
    Apes are taking over the world! The Movie is magnificent with fantastic actors and loveable human and ape characters.The Movie deserves a high score with outstanding visual effects,story and outstanding performance of the actors.
  21. Dec 14, 2014
    It's a brilliant achievement. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes manages to create anticipation very early on, within a story that is so emotionally satisfying we can't help but feel that urge to cry. The action sequences are exponentially caught, the characters involved draw admiration on all levels, and the ending is one that is extensively heartfelt. The music grips you and makes you careIt's a brilliant achievement. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes manages to create anticipation very early on, within a story that is so emotionally satisfying we can't help but feel that urge to cry. The action sequences are exponentially caught, the characters involved draw admiration on all levels, and the ending is one that is extensively heartfelt. The music grips you and makes you care even more about Caesar's, and Maurice's fate. Where it really thrives though, is on the emotional level. You don't know who you should root for, to the point where even as the viewer, you want peace over war. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a great film. It is an emotional roller coaster that plays on the heartstrings through uncertain fates and the viewer's own, uncertain allegiance. Expand
  22. Dec 9, 2014
    THIS is what the remakes should have been from the start! It brings a very dark and post-apocalypse vibe that recent movies have gotten us used to with the real struggle that the original film series brought us. The action is great, the CG is looks pretty good and the story is great enough to keep everyone on edge. A huge plus is that you really wouldn't have had to of seen the previousTHIS is what the remakes should have been from the start! It brings a very dark and post-apocalypse vibe that recent movies have gotten us used to with the real struggle that the original film series brought us. The action is great, the CG is looks pretty good and the story is great enough to keep everyone on edge. A huge plus is that you really wouldn't have had to of seen the previous films to enjoy this one since there aren't too many references to them or their characters. Easily worth the time and price of renting! Expand
  23. Dec 7, 2014
    On the verge of being a cash grab. It was pretty uninspired compared to it's predecessors. I feel like I'm over rating it giving it a 6. It's only because I'm such a huge fan of the story that I gave it a 6. I really hope this downward trend in quality doesn't continue.
  24. Dec 3, 2014
    Predictable/basic plot and characters. Fails to build or branch off the first fantastic film of the series in any way, shape, or form. Very disappointing to sit through 2 hours of junk for 10 enjoyable minutes at the end.
  25. Nov 27, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes does what The Dark Knight to Batman Begins, it improves upon the first on every single way possible and even surpassed my expectations. This is one of the best movies of 2014.
  26. Nov 21, 2014
    Intelligent and provocative in all the right ways, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes expands on its remarkable predecessor with dynamic motion capture, well realized ape character arcs and a blatant and bleak social message.
  27. Nov 17, 2014
    I enjoyed watching every bit of it. Awesome action sequences, especially when the apes attacked San Francisco at night, had great intense moments and top notch CGI.
  28. Nov 13, 2014
    "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

The Good: While they are very different films, the sequel transitions flawlessly from the first and fits into the franchise perfectly. You get so used to the apes, that you forget that they are created with special effects. That is the mark of truly fantastic work and you can't help but be impressed. In films like this, it is easy for the human actors to fall to the wayside, but that does not happen here .. at least not with the leads. Jason Clarke's Malcolm believably connects with Caesar and forms a bond that I feared would not be achievable. It's a shame that Serkis won't get award consideration due to being a motion capture actor. He deserves it. The battles were intense and the film does a great job causing you to wonder if your favorite characters will live or die. Lastly, the film is very poignant and provides excellent social commentary without cramming it down your throat. A worthy successor, which is hard to come by these days.

The Bad: I gotta admit it ... scenes of monkeys, riding horses, wielding machine guns, and leaping through fire were among the more ridiculous scenes that I have ever seen. They were during some very serious moments, and I couldn't help but laugh at them. Some of the supporting cast was pretty cliche and forgettable. They also weren't well characterized and I didn't even see what happened to a few of them.
  29. Nov 11, 2014
    I was pretty excited for the second installment in this series. I thought Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a great film and I was looking forward to the follow up. I thought the movie was a little slow to pick up but as soon as it did it was impressive. Both the main ape characters Caesar and Koba (played by Andy Serkis and Toby Kebbell respectfully) were great. I really enjoyed theirI was pretty excited for the second installment in this series. I thought Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a great film and I was looking forward to the follow up. I thought the movie was a little slow to pick up but as soon as it did it was impressive. Both the main ape characters Caesar and Koba (played by Andy Serkis and Toby Kebbell respectfully) were great. I really enjoyed their intensity. The only complaint I have is that I would have liked to have seen more from Gary Oldman. It looks like he was going to have a bigger role in the film than he really did. This installment is just as good if not better than any of the Planet of the Ape films. I can't tell if I like it better than Rise of the Planet of the Apes or not. I'm expecting the next movie to be the final one, but I'll be excited to see it. Expand
  30. Nov 11, 2014
    I expected to see a good sf flick not a pathetically slapped together f****** drama. Incredibly boring to watch. Among the worst movies I have ever seen. *vomiting sounds* Acting was s***, story was s***. There is no story buildup (unless you count that 1-2 min intro explanation), no character development, instead its just thrown in your face without proper explanation. Who the hell comesI expected to see a good sf flick not a pathetically slapped together f****** drama. Incredibly boring to watch. Among the worst movies I have ever seen. *vomiting sounds* Acting was s***, story was s***. There is no story buildup (unless you count that 1-2 min intro explanation), no character development, instead its just thrown in your face without proper explanation. Who the hell comes up with c*** like this? Utter waste of my time. Expand
  31. Nov 9, 2014
    terribly boring movie. many stupid fights and shooting. plot is primitive. the characters are flat and uninteresting. I could watch this movie only on fast forward
  32. Nov 2, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes proves that a film can have sublime special effects with a multi-layered story filled with strong themes of politics, trust, betrayal and leadership. Caesar and his apes are intellectually stimulating and complex characters that show that humans do not need to be the focus in order to draw empathy from the audience. This intelligent war movie is a full-onDawn of the Planet of the Apes proves that a film can have sublime special effects with a multi-layered story filled with strong themes of politics, trust, betrayal and leadership. Caesar and his apes are intellectually stimulating and complex characters that show that humans do not need to be the focus in order to draw empathy from the audience. This intelligent war movie is a full-on dramatic epic that never cease to thrill. Expand
  33. Nov 2, 2014
    Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes gives us a very good script with stunning performances (Andy Serkis, Jason Clarke and Toby Kebbell) and a lot of amazing and brilliant special effects. This film is going to win some Oscars. (81 - 100)
  34. Oct 31, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is carried by one man (or ape) of the name Andy Serkis with a few decent tense scenes that grab your attention. Other than that, I simply didn't find the film interesting with a slow pace and an ending that needed some help.
  35. Oct 28, 2014
    How has this film gotten so many good reviews? All of you people in the user reviews giving this film a full 10/10 need to grow and pair of balls and stop recommending this **** As a long-term planet of the apes fan who expected nothing less than pure awesome from this film considering its source material, I believe this to be one of the worst films this year. I am shocked by the amount ofHow has this film gotten so many good reviews? All of you people in the user reviews giving this film a full 10/10 need to grow and pair of balls and stop recommending this **** As a long-term planet of the apes fan who expected nothing less than pure awesome from this film considering its source material, I believe this to be one of the worst films this year. I am shocked by the amount of people who outright ignore the piss-poor effort that had been poured into this blatant cash in. How anyone can be so blind and not see all of the incredibly obvious problems with this film baffles me. So, here we go. The writers and director both need a good slap in the face for the ****ty crap that they were bothered to deliver. The dialogue is cringeworthy, both for the apes and the humans. What's more, I remembered none of the characters names (besides Caesar from Rise) after the film, I don't even think they even mentioned half of their names, and all of them have cardboard personalities. Characters do the stupidest things and do 180 personality switches constantly. I sympathised with none of the characters, and you know you're watching crap when you hate every nameless **** the writers came up with in their film. On top of that, it's soooo **** boring. I can only name a handful of films I have actually fallen asleep in and this film is one of them. Sure, the first 15 minutes are pretty engaging and the battle is mildly entertaining but who wants to sit through an hours worth of boring **** to get there. Finally, and this is what pretty much ruins the film for me, the story is **** retarded. I challenge you to sum up the plot of this film briefly without sounding like the biggest **** mongoloid. All of the other Planet of the Apes films have plots that are easy to sum up but you're gonna be sat there talking for a while trying to easily explain what the **** is going on in this film. To simplify my opinion of the story, it has no proper beginning and no proper ending, brings nothing worthwhile to the franchise and sequel baits so **** hard, it pisses me off. So to sum up, the writing is terrible, the characters are completely unlikeable (therefore there is no emotion in this ****fest) and the story is retarded. If you're happy watching poorly-paced, self-indulged dribble then it rarely gets better than this. I gave this a 3/10 because that's the score I'd honestly give this film as opposed to a dishonest outright 0/10. It gets no lower because the special effects were convincing and I love this franchise, but I lost a lot of respect for it because of this film. And soon enough, we'll probably be seeing trailers for 'War of the Planet of the Apes' or whatever they decide to call it, but so help me god if they **** it up like they ****ed up this film... Expand
  36. Oct 27, 2014
    One of the best movies of 2014 and definitely the best block buster. Unlike most of the franchises new PotA isnt worse than the first one. On the contrary, there is even more action, the cgi got better too and Ceaser(Andy Serkis) has more charisma than 99% of human lead roles. What I very appreciate is the lack of human factor. Unlike Trasnformers for example, where we listen all the timeOne of the best movies of 2014 and definitely the best block buster. Unlike most of the franchises new PotA isnt worse than the first one. On the contrary, there is even more action, the cgi got better too and Ceaser(Andy Serkis) has more charisma than 99% of human lead roles. What I very appreciate is the lack of human factor. Unlike Trasnformers for example, where we listen all the time how much they love each others bla bla bla when all we came to see are giant robots, You wanna see super intelligent apes kicking some ass and you will. Already looking forward to next Planet of the Apes movie. Expand
  37. Oct 20, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes falters just inches from perfection, mainly because it's somewhat predictable and convenient at times.

Yet, to make things simple. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is not only a fantastic movie filled with great action and emotion. It's also responsible for giving us a powerful sci-fi character to go side by side with the greatest in history like Darth Vader and Spock. That character is Caesar, who was already great in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, however in this movie we see his new phase in the evolution. We get to see what is in my opinion the most compelling character in a sci-fi int he past decade develop himself as a leader.

On top of that, we also get Koba, another fantastic ape that you're bound to keep in your mind for years to come.

Finally, I was super happy and surprise with how solid the human side of the story is. The movie never forgets that is about the apes, but it still manages to give us an interesting and well developed human story on the side.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is FANTASTIC.
  38. Oct 18, 2014
    Lets just start with the word WOW,ok ? This was one of the most awesome,thoughtful and enjoyable movie of the year. Many critics have bashed it for being a bit clichéd or because of other reasons but I have to say that I loved the movie. I watched it in 3D because the town there I live in was no option other than 3d so I watched it in 3d.I thought was going to be dead for me alreadyLets just start with the word WOW,ok ? This was one of the most awesome,thoughtful and enjoyable movie of the year. Many critics have bashed it for being a bit clichéd or because of other reasons but I have to say that I loved the movie. I watched it in 3D because the town there I live in was no option other than 3d so I watched it in 3d.I thought was going to be dead for me already because for what I know from my experiences 3D is just a way to gain more money at the box office by offering the viewers a device to watch the film thats gonna ruin the experience. Luckily it didnt happen with this one. I am glad it didnt and I am actually happy,kind of,that it screened in 3d because the 3d enhanced the feeling for this movie.The 3d format was vivid and it actually add to the involvement of the story. Talking about the story. The story was really really good and I am surprised to say this because I didnt expect this movie to impress,surprise and entertain me so much. The key elements like the action,the pacing and story were done really well. What I found most interesting was the character development. Every character was treated so well I thought I was dreaming because you dont expect this from a summer movie. This summer movie though,for me, I felt it was done with passion and dedication. It is a great movie and it is one of the year's best ones. Expand
  39. Oct 18, 2014
    Good film great plot Oscar winning acting must see film I think it is the best film of the year and it will be very if not impossible to beat I loved it
  40. Oct 15, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of The Apes is manage to be even better than Rise of the Planet of The Apes in lots of ways especially the script this time it's really engaging and intense with great characters supporting them even though the human characters is kind a rush and i didn't care them as much as i want to be but at least the movie tries to makes me care about them but it just doesn't workDawn of the Planet of The Apes is manage to be even better than Rise of the Planet of The Apes in lots of ways especially the script this time it's really engaging and intense with great characters supporting them even though the human characters is kind a rush and i didn't care them as much as i want to be but at least the movie tries to makes me care about them but it just doesn't work because they gave a lot of time to developing the story and didn't have much time to tell the story of each characters but again it's a fair trade i guess story for some characters .

The director Matt Reeves he's just amazing in this movie with his directing and story telling the way he telling the story is really interesting and open a lot of thought , there's also some camera angle that really makes me exciting and he uses it very efficient.

The main character Caesar is again really great in the movie and i have to give credit to Andy Serkis he's just amazing and deserve some award winning.

Ultimately Dawn of The Planet of The Apes is exactly the movie you want it to be it has a great script , great characters especially Caesar and the director Matt Reeves is doing a great job , the movie has some problem with some human characters though but i think it is a trade they have to make because the movie is 2 hours and 10 minute already if they spend more time to develop more characters it will be like 3-4 hours , l think it is still a only negative thing i have in this movie , other than that are just great and this movie is for sure the best movie of 2014 so far just go and see it !!.
  41. Oct 12, 2014
    Alright, so this is the second part in our Planet of the Apes reboot. I’m glad they set this one eight years after the last one (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) because it allows for the realistic decay of humanity to happen quickly. Or was it ten. Anyway, we can get to the cool setting, in which the apes are in charge and a seeming threat to humanity once again. Is that a spoiler? I’mAlright, so this is the second part in our Planet of the Apes reboot. I’m glad they set this one eight years after the last one (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) because it allows for the realistic decay of humanity to happen quickly. Or was it ten. Anyway, we can get to the cool setting, in which the apes are in charge and a seeming threat to humanity once again. Is that a spoiler? I’m sorry. Shut up. So there’s no more James Franco, but there is a whole new cast of interesting characters. Last film we had scientists as the main characters, now we have survivalists. Well, they’re scientific too. But anyway, while they cannot steal the show like Cesar (Andy Serkis) does, they pulled off the roles that the story needed very well. My eye was always on Gary Oldman. The Dreyfus guy. Yes, that’s right, Gary Oldman’s character has a name. And it’s Dreyfus. I’ll get to him in my spoiler review.
    As I said earlier, Cesar is definitely established to be the main character in the first few scenes of the film. We see what he’s been up to since his escape from San Francisco and how much he’s grown intellectually. I’ll have to say that I’m very impressed with the realistic direction that this reboot decided to go in. And when I say realistic, I’m not talking about the CGI play-dough apes. I’m talking about the fact that they resemble real apes, and not humanoid apes. It’s interesting to see how apes might behave had they higher intelligence. However, this is more of a tension movie than it is an action movie, if that is indeed what the posters are implying. Is it more the fear of the apes attacking than the apes themselves attacking. Nonetheless, this film is a big step up from the last one and absolutely kills it. However, it feels like more of a chapter than a film itself. When I look back and think on it, I’m not sure there was an awful lot that happened in it. I also feel like they could have picked a better spot in the eight years that had passed to film two hours of it for us to see. It felt sort of like a day in the times of the planet of the apes. That should really have been the title for this film. A Day in the Times of the Planet of the Apes. Nonetheless, it’s a damn good time, and probably one of the better films you’re going to see all year if you’re into sci-fi or whatever. Just remember, tension. Then action.

Rating: 84%
  42. Sep 20, 2014
    Matt Reeves returns by bringing this great Sci-Fi movie that is the sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes.Highly intelligent and dark, this movie takes you in a post apocalyptic world where human kind is extinct and apes rule the rubble of Earth .Dawn of the Planet of Apes has outstanding visuals,great score and a surprising emotional depth to the story.
  43. Sep 13, 2014
    Absolutely LOVE this movie. The special effects are some of the best ever and the motion capture work is groundbreaking. On top of that you get a great story and solid acting from both the monkeys (Andy Serkis is always fantastic) and the humans. Its also very moving at times and has a lot of emotional depth. An altogether smashing sequel that is to Rise of the Planet of the Apes what TheAbsolutely LOVE this movie. The special effects are some of the best ever and the motion capture work is groundbreaking. On top of that you get a great story and solid acting from both the monkeys (Andy Serkis is always fantastic) and the humans. Its also very moving at times and has a lot of emotional depth. An altogether smashing sequel that is to Rise of the Planet of the Apes what The Dark Knight was to Batman Begins. Expand
  44. Sep 10, 2014
    I had a great time watching this film at the cinema, 'Rise' was a surprisingly good film when it was released and I was confident 'Dawn' wouldn't disappoint.

I must say, it turned out even better than I expected. It's a solid film, about as good as you can generally hope for from a mainstream blockbuster movie. Sure it has it's flaws, but with this type of movie it's difficult to

Sure it has it's flaws, but with this type of movie it's difficult to avoid them. The action scenes in the latter stages of the film get perhaps a little over the top, and have to use large amounts of CGI. The human characters are also somewhat poorly developed and can be a little one dimensional(for the most part).

But again, these criticisms are largely negligible and I think difficult to avoid with what the film was aiming to do. Ultimately, if your looking for a well-made, highly entertaining blockbuster film then this comes highly recommended.
  45. Sep 9, 2014
    Saw this a while ago and never bother to look at the reviews. Absolutely astounded to see this so well reviewed. Thought it was punishingly horrible piece of pseudo psychological garbage. You almost couldn't write a more hackneyed script for this post apocalyptic universe. Oh the apes are like us, they have thoughts and feelings and there are "complex" issues in their society. Oh no,Saw this a while ago and never bother to look at the reviews. Absolutely astounded to see this so well reviewed. Thought it was punishingly horrible piece of pseudo psychological garbage. You almost couldn't write a more hackneyed script for this post apocalyptic universe. Oh the apes are like us, they have thoughts and feelings and there are "complex" issues in their society. Oh no, an accident, oh no betrayal, oh yay redemption. Really, this is a terrible movie. The effects etc are decent but don't waste your time or money. Chef, or Most Wanted Man, from what I've seen, are far superior. Heck even Guardians has a more compelling story for my money. Expand
  46. Sep 9, 2014
    I am really happy that i choose to watch this in the cinema, i loved this movie. I never saw any of the other Planet of the Apes movies but i plan to watch them now.
    Amazing visuals, impressing storyline, it has some sad and cruel moments and an elaborated script. The opening act was truly beautiful and mostly of the rest of the movie was. Those talking apes really made my day and the apes fighting techniques and weapon handling was well thought.
  47. Sep 7, 2014
    Perhaps my interest in this film is my passion about the history of the primates from the first film in many years ago, where even was in the testicles of my dad.

Let's talk about the film, the first thing that I have that I have to praise are the special effects, give it personality, attitude, real expressions that make you feel desperation, hatred, love... Sound, soundtrack,

Sound, soundtrack, mounting, nominations please. In the end tremendous highly recommended movie.
  48. Sep 7, 2014
    the best film I've seen this year with The Zero Theorem. There are good FX and Story. The post apocalyctip world is convincing. The rythm of the story is slow during the first hour. Cesar is a the very best fake characther since Gollum.
  49. Sep 3, 2014
    One of the most satisfying sequels in recent years. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes takes the reboot franchise down a darker, scarier and more honest road. And after years of motion acting, Andy Serkis has perfected his craft and could finally be looking at some awards attention for his portrayal of Caesar--if he doesn't, he should.
  50. Sep 2, 2014
    Matt Reeves has done it again. I can't believe this movie was as good as it was! It was action-packed, emotional, and enjoyable. It doesn't just focus on the impending war between the apes and the humans, but it focuses on the interactions between the humans and apes, which results in a very emotionally intense film. It also had great acting from everyone (apes included) and some beautifulMatt Reeves has done it again. I can't believe this movie was as good as it was! It was action-packed, emotional, and enjoyable. It doesn't just focus on the impending war between the apes and the humans, but it focuses on the interactions between the humans and apes, which results in a very emotionally intense film. It also had great acting from everyone (apes included) and some beautiful cinematography. Expand
  51. Aug 30, 2014
    (probably) The most enjoyable movie I've seen this year. This film not only reach my high expectations, but far exceeds it. This is to Rise of Apes and the Planet of the Apes prequel series what The Dark Knight (2008) was to Batman Begins and The Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. Definitely one of the - if not - the best movie of the year. This is shaping out to be my favourite/most anticipated(probably) The most enjoyable movie I've seen this year. This film not only reach my high expectations, but far exceeds it. This is to Rise of Apes and the Planet of the Apes prequel series what The Dark Knight (2008) was to Batman Begins and The Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. Definitely one of the - if not - the best movie of the year. This is shaping out to be my favourite/most anticipated movie series; I'm really looking forward to the next installment. Expand
  52. Aug 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A must see movie. The movie takes place 10 years after the Simian flu has wiped out most of the human race and the apes are very intelligent. We follow Cesar (Casear? I don't know how to spell it) who we also followed in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. He has started a community of apes in the mountains just beyond San Fransisco. A small of group of humans encounter them and want their permission to use the dam nearby to re-power their community downtown which is almost out of gas for their generators. Cesar lets them do their work and there is finally peace and trust after Cesar's wife is cured from her sickness. That is until Koba, an ape that has pure hatred towards the humans, shoots Cesar and gets more apes to burn down their community. He blames the humans on the attack and death of Cesar and tells them to go to war with the humans. They all go downtown and an intense battle ensues. The group from earlier that escaped the burning community find Cesar almost dead on the ground and take him back to his old house that we saw in Dawn and he gets fixed. His son, Blue Eyes (I think) frees the humans and captive apes downtown and Cesar takes down Koba and they all wait as war approaches from another city. (I didn't add all details fyi) Expand
  53. Aug 28, 2014
    The film sucks. Its the same thing over and over again from other planet aps movies. The movie was not thought out well. They just stuck what ever they needed in their and it terrible.
  54. Aug 26, 2014
    Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes is an amazing movie if you enjoy action movies then this is a great movie if you like story and tense moments then this is also amazing. I loved the film and think it's possibly the best film of 2014. The moments when bullets are shot it's loud and you will most likely jump the movie is amazing and deserves the 10 .
  55. Aug 25, 2014
    This film portrays acts of betrayal, decisions, trust, and friendship. It is a interesting film about apes. It is a must-see for anyone who likes or is interested in apes. The Plot is unique and the music is amazing.
  56. Aug 24, 2014
    A spectacularly dull film, noteworthy only for the fact that, despite clocking in at just over two hours, it felt like it had sucked four hours of my life away. The characters are flat, uninteresting and utterly forgettable, the visuals are mediocre at best and the entire film seems to merely be an opportunity to show two apes fighting each other in a construction site. And even thatA spectacularly dull film, noteworthy only for the fact that, despite clocking in at just over two hours, it felt like it had sucked four hours of my life away. The characters are flat, uninteresting and utterly forgettable, the visuals are mediocre at best and the entire film seems to merely be an opportunity to show two apes fighting each other in a construction site. And even that supposedly climatic scene managed to be uninteresting, because there is no reason to care about any of the characters in this movie, and the fight itself is not interesting enough to hold ones attention on its own. Even the film's message of interspecies (or inter-cultural) cooperation and communication falls flat, offering nothing new or interesting on the topic but preferring to fall back on the stock idea of "they're just like us!", something that has been covered dozens of times before by far better film makers than Matt Reeves and co could ever hope to be. A worthless, brain dead bit of cinema. Expand
  57. Aug 23, 2014
    This is truly an amazing movie
    i am speechless, the performance and visuals was spectacular
    Caesar was awesome and the action scenes are breathtaking
    Truly amazing
  58. Aug 23, 2014
    In all honesty, I preferred Rise to Dawn, Dawn was focused a lot on fighting where as rise was more of the origin and science behind the Planet of the Apes.

I was impressed by Gary Oldmans performance but then I always am. I thought there were strong scenes in the film but weak ones too.

Overall the film was good but not memorable.
  59. Aug 22, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes puts great emphasis on the importance of the choices we make as individuals and how the selfish acts of the few, can be horrific for everyone.
  60. Aug 20, 2014
    Impressive visually, but I wasn't gripped until about half-way through the film as I found myself quite bored - which the downside I found. It takes a while to start-up but once it did I was gripping my seat.
  61. Aug 19, 2014
    This movie is just great you'll love most of the characters in this movie and you'll hate some of them great action With a great story and the cgi in this movie is phenomenal! Andy Serkis does a great job playing ceaser in this movie. Get this movie when it comes out for dvd!
  62. Aug 17, 2014
    It swings in and out of action packed violence and intense emotional back-stories of characters who you genuinely feel a connection with. The ending is a climatic explosion of grand proportions, with you hearing the question in your head "Do I support humans or the furry ones?" Overall, pretty sweet for a big-budget Hollywood blockbuster.
  63. Aug 16, 2014
    Pure awesomeness. Believe me, this movie is everything you want from a good science fiction action movie, especially the battle scenes. And the CGI was stunning. Trust me, you want to see this movie.
  64. Aug 14, 2014
    Good movie if you liked the first Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Continues the story line of Cesar and his crew, but later in the movie more conflict.
    Acting was decent, but no real peril was felt for the humans honestly. I felt more feelings for the apes in this one honestly. Rise had more human-ape interaction, and Dawn has more ape-ape following to be honest.
    See it in theaters for a
    See it in theaters for a good flick, buy it if you liked the first, but not worth a second or third view, it stumbles at times to hold your attention.
  65. Aug 14, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a perfect sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The movie has some truly powerful moments that hit home. You will be on the edge of your seat waiting to see what happens next, because there's never a dull moment in this movie. Human or ape, the characters in the movie all have their own motivations that if you look at things from their point of view,Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a perfect sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The movie has some truly powerful moments that hit home. You will be on the edge of your seat waiting to see what happens next, because there's never a dull moment in this movie. Human or ape, the characters in the movie all have their own motivations that if you look at things from their point of view, you could justify almost all of their actions. Needless to say, the apes have evolved since the previous film and are now a tribal community led by Caesar who's teaching his son how to lead the apes when the time comes. The movie is intense and you'll walk out of the theater feeling glad that you went to go see it. If you have the choice, choose the 3D as the 3D is amazing and wonderfully utilized in this film. If you liked Rise, then you'll love Dawn. It builds upon what Rise established and raises the bar for its eventual sequel. This is certainly a Summer movie must-see. Expand
  66. Aug 13, 2014
    as a spectacle, Apes succeeds. As a torch carrier of the "smart, out-of-control-animal sci-fi" genre, it's a snoozefest. It wants to be more than "the lost world" with chimps though...it wants to be downright shakesperian, and at times IT IS. But the overall plodding pace leaves you in the middle ground between mildly entertained and seen-it-all-before. The amount of cliches packedas a spectacle, Apes succeeds. As a torch carrier of the "smart, out-of-control-animal sci-fi" genre, it's a snoozefest. It wants to be more than "the lost world" with chimps though...it wants to be downright shakesperian, and at times IT IS. But the overall plodding pace leaves you in the middle ground between mildly entertained and seen-it-all-before. The amount of cliches packed into this film should have given the filmmakers pause and cued some more creativity as to how you film certain "necessary" scenes (SPOILERS: like when the fool brings a shotgun to the lakeside chimp retreat. Okay, a SHOTGUN?! A gun at all is ridiculous, but it pushes the story forward. a little pistol, i could imagine hiding. BUT A SHOTGUN? hidden by a little blue blanket in your wide open tool chest? get out of here with that). instead of playing with genre, which can result in great films we all buy on blu-ray, "Apes" feels like an attempt AT genre. and if you don't nail a straight up genre attempt, the movie can easily become camp, or worse...boring. But then again, when your fore bearer is the Planet of the Apes franchise, "Avoiding Camp" might have been this film's working title. And in that regard it is a success on par with its predecessor. Expand
  67. Aug 13, 2014
    Andy Serkis is something else isn't he...Caesar, his character was outstanding..the facial expressions, the movement and the atmosphere. The technology was first rate. Some of the mass ape movement scenes are nearly up there with Jaws for menace. The non ape actors aren't too shabby either. Jason Clarke and Gary Oldman are on top form. There is a little anti war anti human moralising butAndy Serkis is something else isn't he...Caesar, his character was outstanding..the facial expressions, the movement and the atmosphere. The technology was first rate. Some of the mass ape movement scenes are nearly up there with Jaws for menace. The non ape actors aren't too shabby either. Jason Clarke and Gary Oldman are on top form. There is a little anti war anti human moralising but its not laid on too thick..Great fun Expand
  68. Aug 12, 2014
    Another pretty darn good installment of the Ape movies. A most entertaining movie for those of us who like this series of movies. The digital changes to this type of movie is a considerable improvement over the older movies with make up on actors that make them appear stiff lipped with out facial expression.
  69. Aug 11, 2014
    This is one of the best movies to come out this year, I loved every second of this movie the apes are just great and there is always one crazy in movie like this, everyone should watch this if they know what a good movie is
  70. Aug 10, 2014
    In an alternative way of life for humans, inside a movie that is entertaining and neat, the Ape's society show the deficiencies of human kind and the consequences they include.
  71. Aug 10, 2014
    It aims for spectacular action and set pieces, and achieves that to a large extent. But I didn't find the story as interesting as in 'Rise...' because now the main developments have played out in the earlier film (where it was super interesting to see how apes could plausibly become super-intelligent and escape captivity), and the story left to 'Dawn...' is how things escalate from there.It aims for spectacular action and set pieces, and achieves that to a large extent. But I didn't find the story as interesting as in 'Rise...' because now the main developments have played out in the earlier film (where it was super interesting to see how apes could plausibly become super-intelligent and escape captivity), and the story left to 'Dawn...' is how things escalate from there. Which is pretty easy to imagine. Some humans and some intelligent apes have a conflict and it escalates. No matter how much action and drama you push along with such a story, it's limited in its potential. I had fun interpreting it as a metaphor for the Iraq oil invasion though. Although an insane interpretation, it fitted so well for the first half of the movie. And if seen as propaganda against Islam, the movie gets the subtext it otherwise lacks. Expand
  72. Aug 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went to see this film at the cinema yesterday. It is absolutely awesome, and there is no stronger than I can use adjective. This suite is beautiful, and in addition to being extremely well done, it shows that the company monkeys is actually not that different from ours, which shows how man and monkey are extremely close and can perhaps even equal to the level of intelligence. I especially enjoyed seeing the monkeys grow in society, particularly seeing Maurice to school for example. And all this under the eye of an exemplary leader Caesar what.
    In short, a movie to see with friends because it's just awesome.
  73. Aug 9, 2014
    I was expecting a good storyline, but it's not. Maybe I belonged to old generation because i found this movie a bit boring, not enough tensions and not enough character developments. I think probably this movie was targeting young genders. I still like the prequel better than this.
  74. Aug 9, 2014
    The storyline was absolutely fantastic. From the introduction of the movie, showing the near extinction of humanity to the final scenes; this film was packed with heartfelt characters and beautiful dialogue, and even leaves an open ending for a possible third movie, its so good graphics look good and its very interesting i recommended
  75. Aug 8, 2014
    Thought this was going to be like Rise, but no, I was surprised by this AMAZING film, there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it, sure it was slow at some parts but WHO THE HELL CARES
  76. Aug 8, 2014
    I can't believe the reviews are so high, it doesn't make sense. I feel asleep at one point because it is so slow. Rent if you must see it... the director and scriptwriters haven't done their job. Everything rests on the VFX and simulation crew who make this movie watchable for 10 great minutes. Then we go off into cliched character doing predictable things except for the main character…
  77. Aug 7, 2014
    A very well done movie that I thoroughly enjoyed. I watched the last ape movie the night before I saw this movie and I can say that it picks up perfectly where the last one left off.
  78. Aug 7, 2014
    I'm sorry if you like this movie because to me the only people who could honestly have thought this sequel was good are the ones that are die hard fans. We've seen the premise of humans being killed off almost to extinction numerous times, something refreshing would have been nice. The plot of this movie would get a C for attempting a mediocre plot. A movie about Apes and humans havingI'm sorry if you like this movie because to me the only people who could honestly have thought this sequel was good are the ones that are die hard fans. We've seen the premise of humans being killed off almost to extinction numerous times, something refreshing would have been nice. The plot of this movie would get a C for attempting a mediocre plot. A movie about Apes and humans having conflict and then it's resolved but they still are going to war now (next movie) makes zero sense.....I enjoyed the 1st one but this movie had so many elements that i've seen before it just seemed stale and unoriginal. I left the theater think okay...so they dropped the ball Expand
  79. Aug 6, 2014
    After mixed feelings from the first movie, the second movie in the reboot series more than meets my expectations, the special effects are better than ever, the story is interesting from both sides and makes me feel hatred and sorrow towards both sides. there are characters on each side that seem to reflect each-other. some scenes are not as interesting as others but still keeps enoughAfter mixed feelings from the first movie, the second movie in the reboot series more than meets my expectations, the special effects are better than ever, the story is interesting from both sides and makes me feel hatred and sorrow towards both sides. there are characters on each side that seem to reflect each-other. some scenes are not as interesting as others but still keeps enough interest to keep me watching I would recommend to see this movie whenever possible. Expand
  80. Aug 6, 2014
    es una buena película con buenas ideas pero falto mas historia mas enfatizada en lo es pero tiene una buena historia buena trama la música suena bien pero tuvo algunas cosas que no estuvieron bien y me aburrí por eso pero lo demás fantastico
  81. Aug 6, 2014
    This movie was amazing from start to finish, with it's well done story, beautifully crafted message about war and there's no superior race no matter what you think, and the amazing visuals, seriously, I kept forgetting these aren't really apes, well done Matt Reeves, can't wait for the third one.
  82. Aug 5, 2014
    It's good, but not as monumental as many are claiming it to be.

It's good, but not as monumental as many are claiming it to be.

It has an engaging plot that reasonably paves the way for another installment in the franchise, but it's not very original. It has familiar themes of survival and belonging. The action and battle scenes are very well executed, albeit with predictable outcomes. The script and dialogue are not bad, but could've been better. The acting is good, although not compelling enough to have any emotional resonance.

The absence of these elements doesn't make it a bad movie, just not amazing as i expected it to be; especially after all the high reviews.
  83. Aug 4, 2014
    Although not as consistently entertaining as the first film, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes provides a deeper and more meaningful story with Andy Serkis upping his game and carrying his film to greatness. For a bonus the human characters are actually compelling. I give this film 88% of a good movie.
  84. Aug 4, 2014
    An interesting movie with a very good story and moral lots of action and so on overall a good movie. Not much more I could say about it. Worth watching.
  85. Aug 4, 2014
    Really great movie, the CGI is breathtaking and Andy Serkis comes back once again with a great performance as Caeser. Definitely give this a watch, one of the best Movies this year.
  86. Aug 3, 2014
    HOLY ****, you must see this movie. It's the blockbuster of the decade. The effects, acting, cgi, are all outstanding. If you haven't seen this movie yet. STOP what you are doing and find it now!
  87. Aug 2, 2014
    During " Dawn of the Planet of the Apes ", you get that sense of dread from the opening shot of the movie to the epic and breathtaking conclusion to this memorable sequel, where the Apes come to life on screen.
  88. Aug 2, 2014
    This eighth (!) picture in the Planet of the Apes franchise gives the original film a run for its money. Building on the aftermath of the last film, this movie places Caesar at the center of the story, and it's surprising how well it works, given that he and all of his simian costars are (wonderfully) computer generated characters. In fact, the only sleight I can give this otherwiseThis eighth (!) picture in the Planet of the Apes franchise gives the original film a run for its money. Building on the aftermath of the last film, this movie places Caesar at the center of the story, and it's surprising how well it works, given that he and all of his simian costars are (wonderfully) computer generated characters. In fact, the only sleight I can give this otherwise wonderful picture is that the actual human characters feel much more artificial than the titular apes. Expand
  89. Aug 2, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a film that does an excellent job at continuing the rebooted tale without jumping over too many plot points. It lacks in pure acting ability, but that is strictly reserved for the poorly cast human characters. The apes are portrayed, acted and integrated into the world with seamless precision, allowing for the needed suspension of disbelief.

The story

The story is quite familiar, but also refreshing, a turn of events that the first film in the rebooted franchise doesn't foreshadow. With humanity seemingly at a moment of extreme crisis the world over, Caesar, the original ape who developed increased intelligence and who became the leader of his kind, has led his people into the thick forests of California to establish a home. The entire film centers around the interaction between a small colony of humans and Caesar's tribal apes.

It all progress with fantastic tempo, the pacing only surpassed by the anticipation it builds in the viewer. "What's going to happen?" is a question many movies attempt to have the viewer ask themselves, but only the minority actually succeed at. This film is in that excellent minority.

The only flaws, to my eyes, were as I said: the humans. Gary Oldman, despite being casted in a type of role I've always felt he was suited for, is underutilized in comparison to certain other people. These others, a mixed bag of performances, are mostly overshadowed and at times insignificant to the apes themselves. Perhaps this was inevitable when considering the story, but I do feel that more could have been done to provide a more balanced and engaging human colony in terms of casting and performance.

In the end, I got my money's worth and then some, with only the smallest complaint to offer. Now, my opinion may be more favorable to the reboot as I am one of those who have never seen the originals (shocking, I know), but I can't imagine this film or the last doing any disservice to the classics of the past. Worth the price of admission, and shines well above your average summer blockbuster fare.
  90. Aug 2, 2014
    Decades into the franchise, and on it's 7th director, the Apes' reach a new high. Arguably the better than the original film and an improvement on its equally surprising predecessor, Dawn goes places no other apes film has. The effects in this film are also equally amazing, but Andy Serkis and Toby Kebbell give some of the best performances of the year as two apes in a dystopian future.
  91. Aug 2, 2014
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the equivalent of a holding pattern. A film who's seemingly only purpose is to set up the events for the inevitable third film. The first in what I guess will now be a trilogy, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, was a perfectly contained movie, showing us how the world of Planet of the Apes came to be while giving sly nods to the original film. At the end ofDawn of the Planet of the Apes is the equivalent of a holding pattern. A film who's seemingly only purpose is to set up the events for the inevitable third film. The first in what I guess will now be a trilogy, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, was a perfectly contained movie, showing us how the world of Planet of the Apes came to be while giving sly nods to the original film. At the end of Rise, the story is concluded and nothing more needed to be said. And indeed, nothing more is said with Dawn. While the depictions of the Ape society are fun (and indeed the best part of the movie) the "drama" between the apes and humans that this film hangs on is flat, overwrought, and hopelessly predictable. All this film does is draw out what we, as an audience, could infer happened from the closing credits of it predecessor without bringing anything new or interesting to the table (aside form monkeys with machine guns). While an entertaining distraction and a true achievement in the field of special effects, I left the theater with the distinct notion that nothing substantial or satisfying had actually HAPPENED in the film.

A movie that didn't need to be, it poses no convincing argument for its own existence.
  92. Aug 1, 2014
    One of the best movie's i have watched. It really show's how the monkey's evolved from a normal functioning society where everyone follows the rules to a blood thirsty pack of monkey's looking for power. I was pretty angry when i found out that the main actor of the last movie wasn't going to be in the new movie. But the story and new character's really made up for the loss. 10/10 wouldOne of the best movie's i have watched. It really show's how the monkey's evolved from a normal functioning society where everyone follows the rules to a blood thirsty pack of monkey's looking for power. I was pretty angry when i found out that the main actor of the last movie wasn't going to be in the new movie. But the story and new character's really made up for the loss. 10/10 would watch again. Expand
  93. Aug 1, 2014
    What a tremendous reboot. I was wary after the terrible Mark Wahlberg film, but this film was absolutely captivating from start to finish. They make you root for the apes, brilliant
  94. Jul 31, 2014
    The "Planet of the Ape" series has suffered from it's fair share of ups and downs. Most folks, have bad taste still left over from 2001, when Mark Wahlberg headlined the Ill-fated Tim Burton remake of the same name. I liked it, but this is beside the point. Fox, lost all hope and canned any thoughts of a sequel to that version. Then in 2011, the unthinkable happened. A REBOOT (GASP).The "Planet of the Ape" series has suffered from it's fair share of ups and downs. Most folks, have bad taste still left over from 2001, when Mark Wahlberg headlined the Ill-fated Tim Burton remake of the same name. I liked it, but this is beside the point. Fox, lost all hope and canned any thoughts of a sequel to that version. Then in 2011, the unthinkable happened. A REBOOT (GASP). Rebooting franchises was starting to become a norm, and Fox deliberately invested..in what would be a giant hit .. "Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes". Not only was that film so captivating and touching..it was also extremely groundbreaking in the technological advances. Using motion capture suits and WETA digital to bring the apes to life.
    Three years later, and here we are. "Dawn of The Planet of the Apes" has hit the silver screen..and while it's not nearly as captivating the second time around. This sequel still proves a worthy entry into this beloved franchise, offering richer and emotional character development. Something an audience member can appreciate. I don't want to sound cheesy...but there is a slight chance that yes, you may go bananas.

If you stuck around after the credits during "Rise" then you would know a fluenza was starting to break out. (As a result of the apes escaping) "Dawn" picks up the pieces ten winters after the virus outbreak. The apes (head by Caesar) have colonized and are living life peacefully. That is until the remaining survivors, headed by Malcolm (Jason Clarke) and his girlfriend (Keri Russell) stumble upon them. Hoping to use the apes source of power .. to generate it for the other surviving humans. That is until one Ape.. Kopa, decides to wage war on all of humanity.

Say what you will, but the original "ROTPOTA" was pretty top notch in terms of quality. I was shocked just how good it turned out to be. However what makes the film so good? .. very rare does an effects team get all the credit. My hat goes off to the folks at WETA digital and their ever expanding tools of motion capture. They simply make it look easy. But, those motion capture suits are nothing without their performers. Andy Serkis (Caesar) steals inadvertently every scene he is in.

The process for how the apes have genetically evolved is something for the record books. The audience can feel the emotional integrity that Serkis infuses into the role. For that alone I feel he deserves an Oscar nomination for Best Actor. On the human side of things, Jason Clarke is a much better James Franco to root for. While Gary Oldman is right in his typical wheelhouse.

In addition, the story this time around is entertaining yes..but lacking in some variety. When you watch this film's predecessor, you sort of grow up with Caesar and watch him evolve, plus the technology of the time was superb. The second time, we have grown accustomed to the confines we are entitled too. Matt Reeves (director of Cloverfield) knows his own boundaries and vastly improves upon them. I just wish there was more personal one on one time with Caesar and maybe understand the pressure he has to face. The writing was not as strong as I thought it needed to be too also. While of course this is just me being nit picky. The film still embarks into some new territory, offering a glum look into the not so distant future.

For any performance..the emotional connection to the character is so important. Don't let anyone walk out of this film saying they were not connected of some sorts to the apes. There was a time when I thought to myself.."wow this is amazing, how are they doing this?". The vast majority of the landscapes are simply jawdropping. I can't commend the visual effects crew enough.

With a bolder story, enticing characters and more darker tone. "Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes" has enough action for everyone. It may be a little too darker for younger children. But for older ones..the message is insightfully endearing. You also don't need to be familiar with the original flick to understand this one. There are few references from "Rise". So if you're worried that you haven't seen the predecessor. Rest assured, you won't be confused.

Really though, what it boils down too at the end of the day is one person, and his name is Andy Serkis who carries the film on his shoulders, and reluctantly brings new definition to the world of motion capture. It's something no person, nor reviewer can explain. In this process he puts all humans to shame..and actual apes everywhere.

B+

Release Date: July 11th 2014
    Studio: Fox

Thanks For Stopping By ®
  95. Jul 31, 2014
    While being predictable in some fragments, and, in my opinion, having a less articulated plot than it's 20th century predecessors, the new installment of The Planet of The Apes is clearly a sci-fi that obscures most of it's competitors. It's a brilliant story, it has great actors (Gary Oldman, for one), it has a magnificent use of Motion Capture and it has some breathtaking shots; whatWhile being predictable in some fragments, and, in my opinion, having a less articulated plot than it's 20th century predecessors, the new installment of The Planet of The Apes is clearly a sci-fi that obscures most of it's competitors. It's a brilliant story, it has great actors (Gary Oldman, for one), it has a magnificent use of Motion Capture and it has some breathtaking shots; what more could you ask? Sure, don't expect no 10/10 History Of Cinema Masterpiece, but in these days, a product this well polished is simply heart-warming. Expand
  96. Jul 30, 2014
    Not a bad movie per se, but at the same time there really is nothing interesting to this story. What's the takeaway, that different species will fight to protect themselves when they feel threatened, and violence is not nice? Because somehow that wasn't obvious??

It may look like a smart movie, but at the end of the day it's really a dumb movie with no idea of what it's trying to convey. And it's boring, which critics seem to automatically confuse for deep and provoking.
  97. Jul 30, 2014
    Dawn of the planet of the apes was very well planned and and overall was very good to watch. But I thought that the connection to the previous film was pointless since his human family had died from the virus.
  98. Jul 29, 2014
    This is, without a doubt, one of the most boring movies I've seen all year. The action was incredibly short-lived when it actually occurred. I was hoping for an action movie, not a drama.
  99. Jul 29, 2014
    Come on guys this one is not good.. It did keep my attention though, so for that (and because I'm in a really good mood today) I'll say an even 5 out of 10.

-a
  100. Jul 29, 2014
    Stimulating and Satisfying

A solid political thriller/siege flick. While it lacks the fun and optimism of the James Franco "Apes," it crafts a story that is stimulating and satisfying.

1. Reviewed by: Daniel Green
    Jul 14, 2014
    A satisfying balance of family drama, political intrigue and all-out action (an ape cavalry charge has to be seen to be believed) do, in truth, only constitute half of the story, as Reeves' sci-fi sequel is as much a technical triumph as a narrative one.
  2. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Jul 14, 2014
    A superbly mounted, powerfully performed, if slightly underfed Apes sequel. That Reeves is set to direct Untitled Of The Planet Of The Apes next is cause for much celebration. This guy’s fur real. No pun intended.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 14, 2014
    What is missing from the film is wit—the deep wit that comes from playing off species and environments against each other.