Days of Heaven

8.8

1. AliC.
    Apr 14, 2006
    Like all of Malick's films, this is pure genius. Utterly beautiful with a sad love story at its heart. It does take patience but that doesn't mean it's slow, we're just used to less thoughtful and more shallow films nowadays. Oh, and the music is wonderful too.
  2. Mar 1, 2012
    Although the film is mainly dominated by sight and sound the film also delivers an intricate story more than what meets the eye. There are so many allusions present in the film that the story becomes more meeningful and so do it's images. A wonder ful film one of the best of all time.
    Apr 24, 2006
    Poetic, lyrical, langorous masterpiece. Some flaws yet it will stay with you long afterward. The cinematography and score are both peerless; yet the print shown at Film Forum was oddly a bit washed out and the volume was down too low.
  4. Sep 10, 2011
    I can simply say, Music and Cinematography are the major aspects of the film. One can easily mesmerised with Texas prairie's serene beauty. Days of heaven did not seemed to be greatest story, but Terrence Mallick's way of film-making made it so. The entire story narration is clear, articulate and poetic at times.
  5. Feb 9, 2013
    Just beautiful cinematography, settings, music. Wonderful poetic film making. The actors are very good but over- shadowed by the element mentioned. This is a beautiful film.
  6. Apr 23, 2013
    Simply one of the most beautiful movies ever made. Malick has a particular touch, which makes his films exceptionally stunning, and one of the greatest film directors of all time. Days of heaven centres around a story of struggle, love and all of the consequences that come with it. Sensational!
  7. Dec 30, 2013
    One of Terrence Malick's first features. Amazing portrait of the United States agricultural machine in 1918. This film is a masterpiece that captures the early 1900's exactly as it was. Added to that a terrific script and cast. Visually Stunning!
  8. Jul 5, 2016
    Outstanding. My second favourite Malick film next to Badlands. I'm not sure anyone has ever been better at photographing fire. The only other of his films I have seen thus far is 'To the Wonder', but it's films like this that make me such a lover of cinema. I'm not a Richard Gere fan in the slightest (though I have always loved Brooke Adams), but it's roles like this that cement hisOutstanding. My second favourite Malick film next to Badlands. I'm not sure anyone has ever been better at photographing fire. The only other of his films I have seen thus far is 'To the Wonder', but it's films like this that make me such a lover of cinema. I'm not a Richard Gere fan in the slightest (though I have always loved Brooke Adams), but it's roles like this that cement his reputation as a cinematic icon in my books. I didn't say 'actor' because I'm not really sure that's his strength--it's more a presence, such as Alain Delon in 'Le Samourai'. Expand
  9. Mar 21, 2016
    This is the first time I've ever seen a 1978 Paramount flick to actually be enjoyable on a discount on all ages. With Days of Heaven, it makes me feel like these days just making reviews on movies feel like it's already over.
  10. May 30, 2016
    1978's Days of Heaven was Terrence Malick's second feature, and last featue before he took an abrupt 20 year leave to teach Philosophy in France, and then came back smashing with The Thin Red Line.
    However. Days of Heaven is a great film, right after he made Badlands which was also impeccable, the performances are great, Richard Gere as an up and coming star shines as the hot-tempered lover, and Brooke Adams is impeccable as the lover of both Bill and ''The Farmer''. The script is intelligent, but might be predictable, as i thought aswell, but it isnt, it keeps you guessing as of how the movie is going to flow, and how it is going to end.
    Terrence malick's beautiful masterpiece has to be a must watch for true cinema lovers. Another malick masterpiece into his reduced filmography. Considered at that time an instant classic and a rare and beautiful film, still now absorbs that tittle with its infinite imagery and vision. Probably richard gere's best film alongside Primal Fear, Hachi, and the infoumasly loved Pretty Woman.
    Days of Heaven is an achingly tragic love story, filmed in a strange yet appealing quasi-documentary style. A beautiful masterpiece composed of breathtaking cinematography, subtle acting, smart writing, and ingenious direction. Malick is known and revered for his cinematography, and elements of nature within his movies, but this is where it all began. His second movie, Days of Heaven is a visual feast. Stunning landscapes, minute images of nature and incredible use of light. Even 35 years later it cannot be faulted, cinematographically.

You could hang almost any shot of this movie on a wall and call it art.
  11. JMH
    May 7, 2012
    Days of Heaven is a confounding film. One thing it is not is a complete, fully formed masterpiece. Elements of the film are among the most impressive in the history of cinema; notably, the cinematography and the score. On these merits alone, Days of Heaven is in the realm of "must-see" cinema. The film's crutch rests in its narrative, or lack thereof. The plot is a bare-bones outline,Days of Heaven is a confounding film. One thing it is not is a complete, fully formed masterpiece. Elements of the film are among the most impressive in the history of cinema; notably, the cinematography and the score. On these merits alone, Days of Heaven is in the realm of "must-see" cinema. The film's crutch rests in its narrative, or lack thereof. The plot is a bare-bones outline, plucked all but directly from Henry James' The Wings of the Dove -- a love triangle of a particular sort. Many viewers will likely find themselves asking: (1) whether this bare-bones plot outline amounts to a story, and (2) if it does, whether that story is well told. I'm inclined to answer (1) in the negative, making (2) a moot question. A film can be excellent without a rich plot or deeply mined story in the traditional narrative sense. In this regard, films such as Breathless, The Exterminating Angel, and In the Mood for Love come to mind. Days of Heaven is not among such excellent films. The absence of narrative in Days of Heaven feels, literally, like absence -- a thing missing. And Malick's significant achievements in the film do little if anything to justify or fill this critical gap. Watch the film because too much in it is too good not to see. But don't expect a compelling masterpiece, because Days of Heaven isn't one. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Keith Phipps
    Mar 12, 2013
    It's Malick's particular genius to make viewers feel like they're seeing the world, with all its beauty and danger, for the first time. [28 Nov. 2007]
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew Ross
    Mar 12, 2013
    The pictures — migrants leaping off a westbound train, a quick close-up of a face riven with conflicting emotions, locusts on a stalk of wheat — truly tell the story. [21 March 1997]
  3. Newsweek
    Reviewed by: Jack Kroll
    Mar 12, 2013
    Days of Heaven is a big advance, hauntingly beautiful in image, sound and rhythm, unashamedly poetic, brimming with sweetness and bitterness, darkness and light. [18 Sept. 1978, p.97]