Dead Alive

4.8

1. Feb 13, 2015
    Clearly best Splattermovie I´ve seen to date (uncut already during the 90´s). Besides its fabulous (actually funny) overdriven scenes it shows a lot creativity + originality in scenery, casts, conversations, masks, etc..
    The characters are distinct, well-chosen and implemented beautifully. Quotes like "Your mother ate my dog!!! -- ...Not all of it." or "I kick ass for the Lord" are simply classics.

I´m wondering why the movie has been banned in many places, being a comedy after all.
    Braindead is very much recommended if one´s in for out-of-the-usual entertainment in this genre.
    At the time I heard it had been elected "Best horror-movie of the 20th century" and while this doesn´t seem to be officially true, it is here.
  2. Jul 3, 2014
    Heard it was a cult classic so I decided to give it a shot. Ended up thinking it was one of the stupidest films I have ever seen and did not like it at all.
  3. Jun 29, 2013
    You know, I always thought Peter Jackson was a macho man for the excellent LOTR series but I was TOTTALY wrong. Dead Alive really ticks audiences off, by its spaghetti bone-crushing extreme gore and hilariously devilish story. A story about an infested community might not be everyone's cup of tea but if you are a Shaun Of The Dead fan or even Tucker And Dale, its for you. DA still is oneYou know, I always thought Peter Jackson was a macho man for the excellent LOTR series but I was TOTTALY wrong. Dead Alive really ticks audiences off, by its spaghetti bone-crushing extreme gore and hilariously devilish story. A story about an infested community might not be everyone's cup of tea but if you are a Shaun Of The Dead fan or even Tucker And Dale, its for you. DA still is one of the goreiest movies I have ever watched as a critic, but nonetheless also the most absurd and with the most weapon wielding usage. DA is also boring on sites, you are so much bored by the violent theme of the overall film that you want more but this movie declines and for a Jackson movie this is not right. It's not the gorefest feeling that makes you sick but also puts a smile on your face. Gladly, I discovered this film on the Internet and ordered it through Amazon for $4.99, Dead Alive should be a good buy for some people, cheap and one classic stupid fun movie that no one should forget- New Zealand especially! In the end- it's not for EVERYONE but one to enjoy. And to barf at. Expand
  4. May 18, 2013
    Yes, it looks unreal.
    Yes the movie is totally sick.
    No body part has not been hacked 3 times and placed 5 times in the blender. Not even one second of the movie is boring! But be warned, it's very very very gory!
  5. Dec 6, 2012
    Long before Peter Jackson's King Kong or Lord of the Rings Trilogy there was this movie. Released as "Braindead" internationally but as "Dead Alive" in North America since there was already another movie called "Braindead" here (an annoying to watch but not bad movie BTW), Dead Alive is one of those movies that is so bad its good! This was one of the absolutely cheesiest horror movies I'veLong before Peter Jackson's King Kong or Lord of the Rings Trilogy there was this movie. Released as "Braindead" internationally but as "Dead Alive" in North America since there was already another movie called "Braindead" here (an annoying to watch but not bad movie BTW), Dead Alive is one of those movies that is so bad its good! This was one of the absolutely cheesiest horror movies I've ever seen, it's also the most gory horror movie I've ever seen. Bad acting, bad directing, intentionally cheesy lines by the characters and over-the-top gore make this movie one of the funniest movies that I have ever seen! It is best viewed with a bunch of your mildly drunk friends, you'll all have a riot watching this! BTW: Interesting fact: This movie along with another movie "Army of Darkness" are credited with inspiring the original gory "Doom" video game! Expand
  6. Oct 20, 2012
    Dead Alive, or Brain Dead as it's known in New Zealand, is basically a love story crammed with zombies, humor, and stomach-churning gore. It's absolutely hilarious, and not in the typical zombie-comedy way. It ends up coming across as more of a spoof of zombie movies, but in a good way, a funny way. The movie is regarded as the goriest movie of all time, and for good reason. Let me put itDead Alive, or Brain Dead as it's known in New Zealand, is basically a love story crammed with zombies, humor, and stomach-churning gore. It's absolutely hilarious, and not in the typical zombie-comedy way. It ends up coming across as more of a spoof of zombie movies, but in a good way, a funny way. The movie is regarded as the goriest movie of all time, and for good reason. Let me put it this way if your even the least bit squeamish DON'T watch this movie you will be sick. I loved every second of it, and it's now one of my favorite movies of all time. I highly recommend this to zombie-comedy fans, or just comedy fans who can put up with all the gore. Expand
  7. Sep 29, 2012
    Why did the critics give this a mediocre score? It's a great film full of gore and comedy. The goriest film I saw and one of the funniest too. Plus it's directed by Peter Jackson so you should definitely watch this.
  8. Jul 2, 2012
    Gorier than most things you'll ever see. The movie's story is nowhere never as legendary than Friday 13th, Nightmare on elm street + 28 days. People will not remember this movie as one of the best HORROR movies of all time, but as one of the GORIEST movies of all time.
  9. KimW.
    Jan 20, 2005
    As an avid horror movie buff I felt that this movie was incredibly well done. Zombie movies are my all time favorite and this one was awesome! Very gory and bloody; I especially love the ending scene with the lawnmower! Classic!
  10. HamishG.
    Sep 11, 2004
    How can you not love this film? Peter Jacksons direction is superb, with great original cinematography and very well paced action scenes and of course the awesome gore done by weta workshops Richard Taylor. The plot is much better then your usual horror fair and the slapstick comedy element will make sure that you come out smiling. Don't believe what people tell you about this film How can you not love this film? Peter Jacksons direction is superb, with great original cinematography and very well paced action scenes and of course the awesome gore done by weta workshops Richard Taylor. The plot is much better then your usual horror fair and the slapstick comedy element will make sure that you come out smiling. Don't believe what people tell you about this film being shocking though, the only way you'd be shocked is if you were a 70 year old women who had never seen a horror movie in her life. Don't get me wrong though, there is a heck of alot of gore in the film, it is possibly the goriest film ever made but it's meant to be a comedy/horror and the gore is funny. If you are squemish you may not enjoy the experiance though. I know when I first watched this film at 11, before I was completely de-censitised I was fairly grossed out by some of the scenes but I still enjoyed it. It's a great film and while you may be able to pick holes in it all day long if you watch it expecting to have a bit of light hearted (maybe not light stomached though) fun then you'll have a wopper of a time. Expand
  11. NinjaMafia
    Jan 10, 2004
    [***PLOT REVELATIONS***] Compulsively watchable. Dead Alive has got to be one of the bloodiest movies I have ever seen. What is even more interesting is the fact that the same guy who directed this directed LoTR. Anyway, Dead Alive is about Lionel, Lionels mother gets bitten by a Sumatran Rat Monkey and starts to fall apart, literally. Lionel, not wanting to kill his mother, locks her in[***PLOT REVELATIONS***] Compulsively watchable. Dead Alive has got to be one of the bloodiest movies I have ever seen. What is even more interesting is the fact that the same guy who directed this directed LoTR. Anyway, Dead Alive is about Lionel, Lionels mother gets bitten by a Sumatran Rat Monkey and starts to fall apart, literally. Lionel, not wanting to kill his mother, locks her in the basement and tranquilizes her with some special medecine from what I understand to be a Nazi doctor. Lionels mother eventually gets out, turning some street thugs and her nurse into zombies. There is also a love story going on between Lionel and some other girl, I forget her name. Anyway, the storyline is pretty weak, but there are huge laughs to be found here and there. First off, there is this priest who recites the funniest lines before he starts his made kung-fu on the zombie street thugs. Also, there happens to be a zombie baby (don't ask how it happened, please) who escapes from Lionels barbed wire carriage and almost bites a little girl. Lionel proceeds to beat the living crap out of it right in front of a bunch of elderly women, who thinks it is still a human baby. Those themselves are the most memorable parts in this movie. The last 30 minutes of the movie, however, are pretty sickening. Blood, guts, gore, blood, intestines, blood, decapitation, blood, and anything else really disturbing. Let's just say Lionel knows how to mow down these zombies, literally. He paints the house red with their blood and then some. This movie was pretty disgusting at parts. When Lionels mother starts losing body parts when guests are around, what Lionels mother looks like at the very end of the movie, the part where we figure out how the zombie baby is made (it wasn't that bad really, but it is still disgusting just thinking about it), bodies that have their eyes pop out because they forgot to stop putting embalming fluid in it, these are just the things that I can think of from the top of my head. This movie is a cult classic and for a good reason. While alot of people will be turned off by ALOT of things in this movie, those not easily offended will get a hilarious kick out of this bloody little film. Expand
  12. BobN.
    Oct 23, 2003
    Excellent! I saw this again last week after having spotted it a few years ago in the video store. At times prurient, at times amateur, but great fun. There is no valid comparison between this film to any numbered horror flick, including the spoofs. The sheer volume of gore (and the method of distribution) at the climax left me chuckling for days.
  13. JoeP.
    Sep 12, 2003
    Best Zombie Movie ever made! Quirky humor and Basments of Blood. Gotta love the Dinner!
  14. BenW.
    Aug 28, 2003
    Over the top hilarious campy shocking as fucking hell fun, for sure one of, if not THE goriest movie ever made. peter jackson's best movie for sure!
  15. Bapman
    Jun 26, 2003
    Just don't listen to the critics. An amazing film, terribly bloody and yet you can't help screaming with laughter...

The "Citizen Kane" of Oedipal zombie-cannibal-right to death-comedy-love stories... So gleefully over-the-top that it's decidedly hard not to gag while you're laughing yourself incontinent... Sick. Perverse. Brilliant.
  2. A gonzo splatterfest from New Zealand that manages to stay breezy and good-natured even as you're watching heads get snapped off of spurting torsos.
  3. Because all of this looks blatantly unreal, and because the timing of the shock effects is so haphazard, Dead Alive isn't especially scary or repulsive. Nor is it very funny. Long before it's over, the half-hour-plus bloodbath that is the climax of the film has become an interminable bore. [12 Feb 1993, p.C16]