Dead Man Walking

1. May 30, 2012
    Its was not an easy watch. Sean Penn's character almost never moves from the cell and talks to the nun from through bars. Structuring the film like this leads to a very boring script where nothing happens, it is predictable from start to finish. I would recommend this movie to someone who wants to consider the pro and cons of the death sentence, but it is definitely not an entertaining movie.
  2. Apr 23, 2013
    Challenging, affecting, and uncommonly well-performed, "Dead Man Walking" earnestly displays a worthwhile and incisive loyalty to its powerful source material.
  3. JacquesR.
    Apr 3, 2001
    Susan Sarandon blows the top off of this one. A great film to watch if you need to truly understand the emotional side of the death penalty.
  4. SarahH.
    Apr 4, 2002
    Extremely touching. A movie showing unforgiving and cruel nature of humans i.e. the nature of the death row inmate as well as the parents of the victims. The struggle of the Sister Helen in society after counselling the inmate is very well described. An excellent character portrayal by Susan Sarandon and Sean Penn.
  5. LouiseC.
    Sep 5, 2002
    I thought this film like totally sucked, what a waste of three hours of my life... sheesh!!!!
  6. CamronR.
    Aug 20, 2004
    I give it a 9 outta 10...peace.
  7. SalmanH.
    Oct 15, 2005
    Awesome acting...not an easy movie to watch i must say....but thats the beauty of this movie....Penn and Surandon did deserved an award.
  8. Oh,It'sJustGilbertMulroneycakes
    Jan 9, 2003
    Three hours? What version did you watch? It's not even two. A superb movie anyway, drags a little at times, but other than that...the technique at the end of splicing in images of the crime was a stroke of genius also. The ending's a little abrupt, but that really doesn't matter. At all. Good one.
    Jun 23, 2003
    Truly wonderful.
  10. PatC.
    Jan 13, 2004
    I favor the death penalty for films with political agendas. And, under certain cconditions, members of the cast too.
  11. GerronK
    Oct 4, 2004
    A powerfully disturbing and brilliant film with top notch performances by both Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon. One of the best films of 1995, the issues are handled brilliantly and yet tamely, with enough subtlety to allow viewers to understand the impact of the film.
  12. AnthonyV
    Jul 29, 2004
    Top notch performance by Penn and Sarandon, their relationship is intriguing as it is challenging. The theme of capital punishment is explored splendidly. Robbins did a good job.
  13. Andrew
    Feb 28, 2004
    A beautiful, tragic and heart-wrenching film. susan sarandon is wonderful as sister helen, and sean penn give another oscar-worthy performance.
  14. Lissa
    Nov 24, 2006
    This made me change my views on the Death Penalty. Amazing film.
  15. Mary
    Mar 18, 2006
    Makes you think again! Made me look this up to see what others thought because it clouded what I thought I knew for sure.
  16. Aug 11, 2014
    Dead Man Walking has great performances, relevant messages about life and controversial topics like the death penalty, and a fine story. However, the movie can be overly sentimental at times, plus it could've been cut a good 10 minutes. Nonetheless, it's worth a watch.

It's ironic that a film with this title should be among the most vital, alive, and challenging cinema experiences of the year.
  2. An extremely affecting experience, down to the last agonizing moment.
  3. Reviewed by: John Hartl
    Sean Penn gives the most riveting, selfless performance of his career.