Dear John

6.0

1. Mar 10, 2012
    Dear John is sweet and sometimes even moving, and it will please Nicolas Sparks fans and Romance fans. Yet, Channing Tatum has the looks but lacks in his acting chops and the film severely suffers from that. Still Amanda Seyfried and Richard Jenkins give noteworthy performances. This is the better of the Nicolas Sparks movies. I give this movie 49%.
  2. May 29, 2011
    I waited so long for watching this movie, I have seen the trailer and I was almost dying desperately. A romance to shine the most romantic and dazzled eyes. But like all good love story, there are conditions and circumstances that ultimately discourage them. And And in an era where everything is backed by advanced technology, the couple rescues the late media of years ago: Letters. Yes,I waited so long for watching this movie, I have seen the trailer and I was almost dying desperately. A romance to shine the most romantic and dazzled eyes. But like all good love story, there are conditions and circumstances that ultimately discourage them. And And in an era where everything is backed by advanced technology, the couple rescues the late media of years ago: Letters. Yes, and that nostalgic feeling we get! See them exchanging pretty words in letters of truth is almost an homage to the envelope sheet and pen! And it sounds much more romantic. His relationship with his father was extremely well developed in the film. I found even more exciting John's relationship with her father than with Savannah, who finished without nexus. Romance never gets old. This is fact and what makes the day more fun. Exciting because we are always thinking of someone. Thatâ Expand
  3. Jan 10, 2011
    Nicholas Sparks is the mastermind of incredibly-moving THE NOTEBOOK (2004). Lasse Hallström tried to bring another novel he wrote. Recently, we watched other Hallström direction in heartwarming HACHIKO: A DOG STORY (2009). Both of them made thiz romantic drama worth it to be waited. But in the implementation, something is out of track. The story was about SavannahNicholas Sparks is the mastermind of incredibly-moving THE NOTEBOOK (2004). Lasse Hallström tried to bring another novel he wrote. Recently, we watched other Hallström direction in heartwarming HACHIKO: A DOG STORY (2009). Both of them made thiz romantic drama worth it to be waited. But in the implementation, something is out of track. The story was about Savannah (Amanda Seyfried) who accidentally met John (Channing Tatum) in one fine summer on the beach. Those memorable two weeks based their continuance into long distance relationship, when john sent away to his military mission. The Director, Hallström tried to capture it with simplicity. In fact, almost all of Hallström movies fill with simplicity. Seem to me his simplicity made the drama came out effectively and naturally. Richard Jenkins made a brief but incredible small role as John father. Seyfried always appears likeable, her character was gratifying. She could be able represent up and down of all emotions very well. Once again, he showed his singing talent here. I already fell in love with her since first time I saw her on MAMMA MIA! (2008). Inversely Tatum performance is awful. His character was vacuous and awkward. I doubt his acting skill at all. As the result, the chemistry is on serious gap. But once again, Nicholas Sparks novels always worth it to be tell. Thiz is fifth Sparks adapted movie, since Kevin Costner MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE (1999), Mandy Moore A WALK TO REMEMBER (2002), Rachel McAdams THE NOTEBOOK (2004), Richard Gere NIGHTS IN RODANTHE (2008) and also upcoming Miley Cyrus THE LAST SONG (2010). His stories were always about long term and everlasting love. We could spend one fine evening with anybody or even a nice memorable summer, it could come and go. But it is the person who always stands beside us in all these times who is truly the one.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  4. Jan 2, 2011
    There is nothing offensively bad about this, it is just dull and full of completely flat characters. Tatum unfortunately doesn't bring much to his role, and the film just meanders on until it ends in a rather anticlimactic fashion.
  5. Dec 26, 2010
    I read the book, and, even though it is a typical Nicholas Sparks book, I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. The movie was decent. It didn't exactly follow the story correctly, which always irritates me, and something just felt a bit off. However Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried did an amazing job of making it feel like they really were John and Savannah from the book.
  6. Jun 29, 2012
    Dear John is a drama movie. But sadly, we couldn't see much sweet romantic thingy inside that makes us feel that Dear John is a flat movie. But Dear John can make us in tears with some moments when Dear John does really well....saying goodbyes.
  7. ChadS.
    Feb 6, 2010
    In the best tradition of wartime romances, the woman on the homefront can't commit to celibacy, so she writes a Dear John letter calling it quits with her soldier boy overseas. It's a plot point, in which the moviegoer's sympathy is stacked in the man's favor. Like with any war film, "Dear John" dramatizes the combat soldier's plight to stay alive. He's In the best tradition of wartime romances, the woman on the homefront can't commit to celibacy, so she writes a Dear John letter calling it quits with her soldier boy overseas. It's a plot point, in which the moviegoer's sympathy is stacked in the man's favor. Like with any war film, "Dear John" dramatizes the combat soldier's plight to stay alive. He's fighting for you and me, and her; he's a hero, and deserves to be treated like one. Obviously, his is the greater sacrifice, since no woman ever died from lack of sex. In such love triangle situations, nobody roots for the other guy(the guy who lets other guys fight in his place), no matter how lonely the woman claims to be. She's a slut, pure and simple, because we identify with the combat soldier. When John Tyree(Channing Tatum) gets hit by enemy fire, the moviegoer's hates Savannah(Amanda Seyfried) even more; her betrayal is amplified by the soldier's fleeting relationship with the physical world. To make matters worse, John suspects(and we do, too) that Amanda's new lover is his rival from the beach. "Dear John", however, treats its female character fairly, since John's injury turns out not to be a life-threatening one. There's no cause for Amanda to well-up with guilty tears. And surprise, surprise, John's replacement is Tim(Henry Thomas), a man with terminal cancer, defusing the moviegoer's inclination to hate Amanda somewhat for her disloyalty. In fact, "Dear John" quite suddenly puts John in a bad light, because it's in his best interest if Tim died, and get Amanda back. "Dear John" is subversive in this sense: a reunion between John and Amanda constitutes an unhappy ending, unless the moviegoer is heartless enough to root for a cancer patient to perish. (Exactly what are John's motivations for his seemingly magnanimous act of generosity toward Tim's affliction?) Expand
  8. Sep 20, 2010
    Its target audience is tween girls, and possibly 30-something fiancées based on her reaction, seeing Channing Tatum in and out of his uniform. This sappy movie was slow moving and its only purpose seemed to be to evoke tears from its female viewers. So if you donâ

1. The film, while heartfelt and directed by multiple-Oscar nominee Lasse Hallstrom, is dramatically stillborn.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Ultimately, the story feels as if it's killing time before throwing the next hurdle at the couple.
    Hallstrom and his low-heat stars can’t find the pulse of this corpse.