Dear John

6.0

1. MeganW.
    Feb 6, 2010
    Heart-breaking story of how long can't always conquer all.
  2. Feb 3, 2011
    I think this is by far one of the best love stories ever. It has everything from smiles to tears to intense moments. It is a very realistic story that people are really living today. It makes you believe in love, I fell in love with Dear John, I hope there is a second part.
  3. Aug 13, 2015
    This was such good but also sad movie. Channing Tatum was a great choice for John, and made John so likeable. Amanda Seyfried was good, but I dislike Savanah so much. I know the title tells all, but the climax is just so shocking that all I could do was cry when it happened. The romance is lovely while it lasts, so all we can do is cherish that bit until it inevitably comes to an end. IThis was such good but also sad movie. Channing Tatum was a great choice for John, and made John so likeable. Amanda Seyfried was good, but I dislike Savanah so much. I know the title tells all, but the climax is just so shocking that all I could do was cry when it happened. The romance is lovely while it lasts, so all we can do is cherish that bit until it inevitably comes to an end. I love all Nicholas Sparks stories, and this one is no exception. Expand
    Feb 8, 2010
    The best love story I have seen in years! Channing's acting is outstanding. The audience is captivated by his ability to make them see his heart through his eyes! love it.
  5. Jul 9, 2012
    This movie was so sad!!! It was pretty good though, but soooo sad!! I don't know why everyone says its bad it s good, and very, very sad! It is a heart breaking story.
  6. AlessandraS
    Feb 7, 2010
    I had been looking forward to seeing this movie for weeks (as someone who is in love with 'the notebook' and touching love stories). I will tell you that it is a tear-jerker. I heard many sobs coming from the audience (ok, maybe many of them were mine). The adapted screenplay attempted to include different storylines in the film, as not to make it your stereotypical love story. I had been looking forward to seeing this movie for weeks (as someone who is in love with 'the notebook' and touching love stories). I will tell you that it is a tear-jerker. I heard many sobs coming from the audience (ok, maybe many of them were mine). The adapted screenplay attempted to include different storylines in the film, as not to make it your stereotypical love story. They were semi-successful at this. The acting is quite good, especially Channing Tatum who plays a young soldier with many repressed feelings. A couple of scenes I felt Amanda Seyfried's acting was not completely believable but still very good. What can i say, it touched a place deep in my heart, especially the secondary story of John's (Tatum) introverted, lonely father. Enjoy!! Expand
  7. TonyS.
    Feb 7, 2010
    Stephanie Zacharek says it all: "I'm fully prepared to hear people write off "Dear John" as corny, sappy, a movie for chicks. But I'd counter that Hallström's old-fashioned idealism about art and emotion is the more important quality shining through "Dear John." Maybe it's corny only if you've managed to reach adulthood without ever having to say goodbye."
  8. KristiM
    Mar 29, 2010
    I love all of Nicholas Sparks' movies, but i would have to say this one is not my favorite. Channing Tatum did a wonderful job at his role. This movie makes you see how hard it would be to have a relationship while being in the army at the same time. I still think The Notebook is the best movie made from Nicholas Sparks' books.
  9. Apr 8, 2015
    I know it's weird that a guy like me finds Sparks' cliched cornball Dear John a pretty interesting emotional romance. Even though this movie is filled with the Nicholas Sparks lists of cliche's, it is a decent romance story. Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried are charming and like able despite director Lasse Hallstrom's direction. This film actually impressive and so is Sparks'I know it's weird that a guy like me finds Sparks' cliched cornball Dear John a pretty interesting emotional romance. Even though this movie is filled with the Nicholas Sparks lists of cliche's, it is a decent romance story. Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried are charming and like able despite director Lasse Hallstrom's direction. This film actually impressive and so is Sparks' storytelling. The actors giving a satisfying performance at the end i was satisfied. Grade B+ Expand

1. The film, while heartfelt and directed by multiple-Oscar nominee Lasse Hallstrom, is dramatically stillborn.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Ultimately, the story feels as if it's killing time before throwing the next hurdle at the couple.
    Hallstrom and his low-heat stars can’t find the pulse of this corpse.