Death at a Funeral

7.0

1. RichardC.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Did these critics see the same film I saw? Are they so disenchanted with American cinema that they will fool themselves into thinking this crud is "hilarious" and "outrageous"? I was appalled to be sitting in a screening with strangers who were guffawing at this decidedly low-brow humour. I agree with what another user wrote - I am all for Farrelly Bros.-type comedy if it's billed as Did these critics see the same film I saw? Are they so disenchanted with American cinema that they will fool themselves into thinking this crud is "hilarious" and "outrageous"? I was appalled to be sitting in a screening with strangers who were guffawing at this decidedly low-brow humour. I agree with what another user wrote - I am all for Farrelly Bros.-type comedy if it's billed as such - but I can't abide this unquestioning Anglophilia that gives dreck like this a passing grade just because the actors don't sound like us. At times, I thought I was trapped at home on a Saturday night in mid-winter, grazing on those execrable PBS Britcoms that make up-state NY bourgeoisie feel superior to their neighbours. Expand
  2. MattM
    Apr 18, 2008
    Shocking bad, bland British 'comedy' at its worst. Shallow carbon cut out characters, empty plot, dismal acting, and moves slowly and feels stilted in the direction. Never waste your time, not worth a rent. We should expect so much more from British comedy.
  3. StevenG.
    Oct 9, 2007
    I would have walked out, but my wife who chose this dog would have had hurt feelings so her pride kept us in the theater. A total waste of time (ours) and talent (a good cast).
  4. LemmyO.
    Aug 20, 2007
    This movie is stealth-marketed as a high-mannered British farce in the tradition of Fawlty Towers, Four Weddings and a Funeral, when in fact, it is crass, lewd, stupid, loud, ridiculous and poorly written in every way. Do not be fooled by the marketing, this movie features nothing but foul language and quite literal toilet "humor" in place of the clever dialogue, wit, inventive plotting, This movie is stealth-marketed as a high-mannered British farce in the tradition of Fawlty Towers, Four Weddings and a Funeral, when in fact, it is crass, lewd, stupid, loud, ridiculous and poorly written in every way. Do not be fooled by the marketing, this movie features nothing but foul language and quite literal toilet "humor" in place of the clever dialogue, wit, inventive plotting, misunderstandings and mistaken identities you would expect. This film is lowbrow to the point that I expected a Wayans brother to appear. I'm fine with that kind of humor (Something About Mary, etc.) as long as I know what I'm getting. This movie tries to be something it is not. A good opening sequence, score and one or two good jokes is the only thing that kept me from walking out. Expand
  5. HenryA.
    Sep 30, 2007
    The level of humor seems to be spiraling downward rapidly. These are all easy, cheap laughs and I can't believe it received as many good reviews as it did.
  6. GrantC.
    Mar 1, 2008
    No, Chad S., as someone who works as a comedian and a writer, and who is also gay, I found this movie repellent in the extreme. We have entered a new era where it is socially acceptable to openly ridicule queers as some kind of warped acknowledgment of their existence - it's not acceptable, and is in fact another form of oppression. And if anyone reading this thinks "oh, can't No, Chad S., as someone who works as a comedian and a writer, and who is also gay, I found this movie repellent in the extreme. We have entered a new era where it is socially acceptable to openly ridicule queers as some kind of warped acknowledgment of their existence - it's not acceptable, and is in fact another form of oppression. And if anyone reading this thinks "oh, can't they just take a joke?", the answer is NO. Queer people are still killed throughout the world for their sexuality, and crap like Death at a Funeral trivializes their reality and humanity. Apart from the question of characterization, the movie becomes less and less funny as it progresses, as it attempts to top itself in outrageousness. The brainless twerps who created this have obviously never even heard of Joe Orton. Expand
  7. ToGrant.C
    Apr 18, 2008
    "it is socially acceptable to openly ridicule queers as some kind of warped acknowledgment of their existence - it's not acceptable, and is in fact another form of oppression." Okay, you're reading into this piss poor film way too deeply. It's not oppression. It's bad characterization. Take yourself a bit less seriously and stop thinking everyones out to hate "it is socially acceptable to openly ridicule queers as some kind of warped acknowledgment of their existence - it's not acceptable, and is in fact another form of oppression." Okay, you're reading into this piss poor film way too deeply. It's not oppression. It's bad characterization. Take yourself a bit less seriously and stop thinking everyones out to hate 'queers'. Expand
  8. KevinK.
    Sep 2, 2007
    I sat in astonishment as the crowd around me laughed hard throughout this unfunny dreck. The writing was poor and rushed, and the jokes never delivered.
  9. JayB.
    Sep 2, 2007
    This movie tries to be Four Weddings and a Funeral, and attracts an audience of psuedo-sophisticated Frasier intellectuals that laugh on cue at the "ribald British humor". Here's the secret - it's not funny at all, and your high school English teacher is sitting next to you.
  10. JasperL
    Jan 5, 2008
    Drawn-out, laboured jokes. Predicable plot. Terrible dialogue. Awful, prissy, characters dipped in starch. Terrible acting. Soundtrack attempts to be offsetting but it evokes more the feeling of strangulation than comedy.
  11. Will
    Sep 24, 2007
    This movie was terrible. A far cry from the jaunty, witty British comedy that I thought I was going to see. A better name for this movie would have been "National Lampoon goes to England". I love black comedy, British humor and good writing. This movie had none of that.
  12. Jan 3, 2016
    If people tripping on drugs or poop jokes are your idea of sophisticated humour, this might be up your alley. If you can take some lowbrow along with the high and enjoy it all... you're probably well beyond the demographic this was written for and will find it a tedious wait for the end credits. I give it a few points because it wasn't completely impenetrable and incoherent like a few rareIf people tripping on drugs or poop jokes are your idea of sophisticated humour, this might be up your alley. If you can take some lowbrow along with the high and enjoy it all... you're probably well beyond the demographic this was written for and will find it a tedious wait for the end credits. I give it a few points because it wasn't completely impenetrable and incoherent like a few rare movies. It was very coherent and easy to follow - it just wasn't funny. Expand

1. It goes soft, but even a gelded traditional farce is more potent than most of our slob comedies.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    The dumbness doesn't kill Death at a Funeral, but it certainly weakens it.
    The film's climax is nothing short of hilarious. And Death at a Funeral doesn't discriminate when it comes to the type of humor it embraces it. Everything is in there, from physical hijinks to verbal repartee to naked man jokes to drugs and gross-out stuff.