Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) | Release Date: August 17, 2007
7.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 107 Ratings
WATCH NOW
AndyQDec 6, 2007
I went to this movie after hearing the good reviews, but I was worried by the overlong opening credits and that initial unease wasn't lifted. If it was to be farce and slapstick, I wanted them to go all the way; instead, the recycled I went to this movie after hearing the good reviews, but I was worried by the overlong opening credits and that initial unease wasn't lifted. If it was to be farce and slapstick, I wanted them to go all the way; instead, the recycled and over-familiar jokes lacked life. Mistaken pill-taking? Funnier in Six Feet Under. Wacky zealous suitor that doesn't get the hint. See any sitcom. Graphic fecal matter. Way better in trainspotting. Crotchety old uncle. Sibling rivalry. Bumbling upper crust Englishmen. A stirring eulogy. Actually, I can't think of anything original. I did think the cast was likable, and Alan Tudyk's performance saved the film for me. But one last thing: it's not enough to have a secret gay lover? Now it has to be a secret midget gay lover? Please. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful
JayH.Feb 15, 2008
Enjoyable and offbeat comedy with a British flair. Great cast and very well written. The movie has a good pace, numerous amusing situations. I liked the spontaneous feel of the film.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
axelkochJun 8, 2014
Despite swindling in its title – naming the film Death at a Funeral without anyone actually dying – Frank Oz’s black humour comedy is in fact quite an honest film, fusing realistic funereal incidents to a considerably less realistic whole andDespite swindling in its title – naming the film Death at a Funeral without anyone actually dying – Frank Oz’s black humour comedy is in fact quite an honest film, fusing realistic funereal incidents to a considerably less realistic whole and letting the audience experience it through the eyes of not all too clever, successful or likeable Joe Publics.

However, Dean Craig’s script will not be the one winning the prize for the wittiest, most intelligent or most amusing script of the century. Or of the year. Or of the opening weekend. Yet the British writer demonstrates flair in creating just slightly exaggerated characters that feel exactly like someone you’ve met yourself at some time. A top-tier ensemble cast is assisting him, especially uproarious with the likes of Alan Tudyk and Peter Dinklage, the duo primarily responsible for the burial going awry. But as other flaws, such as the archetypal comedy dialogue, the clichéd ending, and the unneeded scatological “humour” remain unresolved, the acting can’t elevate Death at a Funeral to any more than average.

With good characters and slapstick gags, there is some fun to be had, but you’ll need more if you aspire to shape a good film. Death at a Funeral opts against that and therefore doesn’t furnish more than the occasional laugh.
sharedsorrowsJan 17, 2013
If the film is so close to the original as to also be pretty much disposable once its over for sharedsorrows.com, at least it as well serves up a healthy amount of laughs during its very brief and brisk run time.