5.1

1. Aug 15, 2010
    There are good bits and there are bad bits, but this not-too-bad movie (that's been made extremely soon after the original) has good laughs and likeable characters to make this remake a success in its own right.
  2. Aug 20, 2010
    This movie was a plesant surprise. Great cast, good jokes, and some hearty moments. Its far from perfect, but it has some really good moments. I recommend it.
  3. Sep 7, 2010
    I loved this comedy! I never thought a funeral could provide a backdrop for such hilarity that was found in this film! The action is directed to so many places, but it's so well directed we never lose track of who the characters are, where they are, and everything flows together so brilliantly. I don't have the hindsight of having watched the older movie, so I can just rate this one on its own terms. It's a hilarious comedy with very believable acting. It doesn't really matter so much what happens because it all flows and ties up so well. It's not the world's greatest tale, but it's still an enjoyable film that leaves viewers staring at the screen from beginning to end with one great ride.

I only have a few complaints. The vulgarity of some scenes can be ridiculous, including several drawn-out nude scenes, covered by clever camera angles, of course. The final eulogy reading attempts to sum up all of the events that had previously happened, which doesn't work so well for this film. We never see the dead father alive in this film, ever, so his death is much less meaningful and the final eulogy loses most of its impact. If you're looking for a fun film to laugh at endlessly, this is the film for you. If you want to learn a valuable lifelong lesson with complex characters that have important backstories, you're in the wrong genre.
  4. Nov 22, 2010
    Death is usually depressing. Put Chris Rock in the mix and death doesn't seem so bad anymore. Great cast, great laughs, who wouldn't want to see it? From start to finish, the film has you blown away with Chris Rock's professional stand-up comedy act, and a few family members who, in the best words, are just plain weird. Somehow the language isn't annoying and pointless like most comedy, but instead it just makes what's currently happening even funnier. "Death at a Funeral" is definitely a movie you can sit down with your popcorn, and just be ready to laugh your head off. I am not the type of person that likes comedy movies, but this one is slowly making me like the particular genre more. But it wasn't perfect, so it'll have to stick with a "GO" rating instead of a "MUST GO!" Expand
  5. Dec 2, 2010
    Other than this movie having one kid on "X" (James Marsden), it wasn't that wonderful. The moments in between where Ryan (Martin Lawrence) and Aaron (Chris Rock) are arguing were only funny for the first bit then it became boring. Yes so they think they killed their fathers midget lover Frank (Peter Dinklage), but they cant even do that in a hilarious way. It was just not all what i thought it would be cracked up to be. Expand
  6. Apr 12, 2011
    Death at a Funeral is a pretty funny movie but its not as funny as the original. The characters are really likable and jokes were really funny. Not as good as the original but this is a film you can watch to get a good laugh.
  7. Apr 16, 2013
    Yeah, so what, I really enjoyed this film. It was always crude without even trying its hardest to be, and the cast did a wonderful of job of making me laugh for the best part of this film.
    Aaron (Chris Rock) is getting ready to bury his father, and is nervous in delivering his eulogy, more so because his brother Ryan (Martin Lawrence) is the writer of the family, and he's quite the
    pompous brother as well.
    Of course many situations arise which turn this family affair into a disaster of a funeral, people mistaking hallucinogen pills for valium, the four foot male lover of the deceased father showing up and blackmailing the two sons, or that crazy old uncle who tells it like it is, and also has a spot of bother on the toilet.
    Chris Rock opens proceedings with plenty of jokes that help set the tone for the film, but its the events and situations that make this way better than it really should have been. all squeezed into 90 minutes.
    Tracy Morgan has to be the highlight of the show, is wonderful rambling and exaggerated concern for a rash on his hand elevate him above the rest of the cast, a cast which thankfully has not been given a job of waiting for something to happen, they all play a part in the hilarity and absurdity of Death at a Funeral, and of course there was Peter Dinklage.
    Dinklage reprises his role from the 2007 original (yes, only three years between a remake) and he certainly perfects the serious role he continuously tries to go with, playing the lover of the deceased, but what was surprising and welcoming for me was the lack of jokes about his height, too many times do films take advantage of a situation like this, but i only counted two very mild-mannered quips, which was refreshing to see.
    Of course the wider cast includes the hilarious combination of James Marsden, Zoe Saldana and Luke Wilson, which makes for a particularly funny scenario of Marsdens character being the guinea pig for the hallucinogen drug. Danny Glover pokes fun at himself but also shows great chemistry with Tracy Morgan as they argue continuously throughout the film to the viewers amusement.
    I shouldn't have liked this film, but for something so silly and crude, and the crude parts being the most hilarious parts, why not enjoy something like this more often, especially with the ensemble cast it boasts.
  8. Aug 24, 2012
    This film has a lot of potential but it just falls down in every category. I feel as if the film tries just a bit too hard to be funny and I laughed maybe three times throughout the film as a result. Also, the advert used the majority of the comedic moments meaning that we had already seen many of the jokes. Puts me off watching the original but at some point I will sit down and watch it to compare. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Nick Schager
    Proving that a comedy’s performers are sometimes more important than its jokes, this remake of Frank Oz’s dreary 2007 British farce of the same name livens up the proceedings by subbing in a comic African-American all-star cast.
    I laughed all the way through, in fact. This is the best comedy since "The Hangover," and although it's almost a scene-by-scene remake of a 2007 British movie with the same title, it's funnier than the original.
    The new Funeral, directed by social commentator-director Neil LaBute ("Lakeview Terrace") doesn’t improve on the original, which wasn’t exactly a classic despite its classic structure.