Screen Gems | Release Date: April 16, 2010
5.1
Mixed or average reviews based on 58 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Tss5078Apr 20, 2014
Death At A Funeral is a remake of a 2007 British comedy by the same name, and is usually not the type of film I go for. For starters, I hate Chris Rock, and I really couldn't see a film about a funeral being all that funny. The previews wereDeath At A Funeral is a remake of a 2007 British comedy by the same name, and is usually not the type of film I go for. For starters, I hate Chris Rock, and I really couldn't see a film about a funeral being all that funny. The previews were a riot and I love Martin Lawrence, so I decide to give it a try and was once again was taught that you can't judge a book by it's cover. This film turned out to be one of the funniest I've seen in a long time. It's a solemn day for Aaron and Brian, as they prepare to lay their father to rest. They expect it to be a small, simple ceremony, but they are soon reminded of why their family only gets together at weddings and funerals. A series of unbelievable and hysterical events keep disrupting the service, which include, but are not limited to, a gay midget, a guest tripping on acid, and a crotchety old man that really has to poop. I'm not surprised that I liked this film as much as I did, but I was surprised by the reasons why I liked it. You'd think an R rated film staring Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence would be raunchy as hell and way over the top, and it was, but not because of either of them. Rock and Lawrence were actually fairly toned down in this film and it was the large cast of supporting characters who really make the film. Danny Glover is amazing as Uncle Russell, an old timer who hates everyone and isn't afraid to run his mouth. James Marsden is equally as good, as the hated white boy friend, who takes what he thinks is Valium to calm down before the service. Death At A Funeral is absolutely hysterical and full of non-stop ridiculousness, if this film doesn't make you laugh, there is most definitely something wrong with you. Expand
StevenFApr 16, 2013
Yeah, so what, I really enjoyed this film. It was always crude without even trying its hardest to be, and the cast did a wonderful of job of making me laugh for the best part of this film.
Aaron (Chris Rock) is getting ready to bury his
Aaron (Chris Rock) is getting ready to bury his father, and is nervous in delivering his eulogy, more so because his brother Ryan (Martin Lawrence) is the writer of the family, and he's quite the pompous brother as well.
Of course many situations arise which turn this family affair into a disaster of a funeral, people mistaking hallucinogen pills for valium, the four foot male lover of the deceased father showing up and blackmailing the two sons, or that crazy old uncle who tells it like it is, and also has a spot of bother on the toilet.
Chris Rock opens proceedings with plenty of jokes that help set the tone for the film, but its the events and situations that make this way better than it really should have been. all squeezed into 90 minutes.
Tracy Morgan has to be the highlight of the show, is wonderful rambling and exaggerated concern for a rash on his hand elevate him above the rest of the cast, a cast which thankfully has not been given a job of waiting for something to happen, they all play a part in the hilarity and absurdity of Death at a Funeral, and of course there was Peter Dinklage.
Dinklage reprises his role from the 2007 original (yes, only three years between a remake) and he certainly perfects the serious role he continuously tries to go with, playing the lover of the deceased, but what was surprising and welcoming for me was the lack of jokes about his height, too many times do films take advantage of a situation like this, but i only counted two very mild-mannered quips, which was refreshing to see.
Of course the wider cast includes the hilarious combination of James Marsden, Zoe Saldana and Luke Wilson, which makes for a particularly funny scenario of Marsdens character being the guinea pig for the hallucinogen drug. Danny Glover pokes fun at himself but also shows great chemistry with Tracy Morgan as they argue continuously throughout the film to the viewers amusement.
I shouldn't have liked this film, but for something so silly and crude, and the crude parts being the most hilarious parts, why not enjoy something like this more often, especially with the ensemble cast it boasts.
dev92Aug 24, 2012
This film has a lot of potential but it just falls down in every category. I feel as if the film tries just a bit too hard to be funny and I laughed maybe three times throughout the film as a result. Also, the advert used the majority of theThis film has a lot of potential but it just falls down in every category. I feel as if the film tries just a bit too hard to be funny and I laughed maybe three times throughout the film as a result. Also, the advert used the majority of the comedic moments meaning that we had already seen many of the jokes. Puts me off watching the original but at some point I will sit down and watch it to compare. Expand
Commen0136Apr 12, 2011
Death at a Funeral is a pretty funny movie but its not as funny as the original. The characters are really likable and jokes were really funny. Not as good as the original but this is a film you can watch to get a good laugh.
Ruler101Dec 2, 2010
Other than this movie having one kid on "X" (James Marsden), it wasn't that wonderful. The moments in between where Ryan (Martin Lawrence) and Aaron (Chris Rock) are arguing were only funny for the first bit then it became boring. Yes so theyOther than this movie having one kid on "X" (James Marsden), it wasn't that wonderful. The moments in between where Ryan (Martin Lawrence) and Aaron (Chris Rock) are arguing were only funny for the first bit then it became boring. Yes so they think they killed their fathers midget lover Frank (Peter Dinklage), but they cant even do that in a hilarious way. It was just not all what i thought it would be cracked up to be. Expand
Film_Fanatic_15Nov 22, 2010
Death is usually depressing. Put Chris Rock in the mix and death doesn't seem so bad anymore. Great cast, great laughs, who wouldn't want to see it? From start to finish, the film has you blown away with Chris Rock's professional stand-upDeath is usually depressing. Put Chris Rock in the mix and death doesn't seem so bad anymore. Great cast, great laughs, who wouldn't want to see it? From start to finish, the film has you blown away with Chris Rock's professional stand-up comedy act, and a few family members who, in the best words, are just plain weird. Somehow the language isn't annoying and pointless like most comedy, but instead it just makes what's currently happening even funnier. "Death at a Funeral" is definitely a movie you can sit down with your popcorn, and just be ready to laugh your head off. I am not the type of person that likes comedy movies, but this one is slowly making me like the particular genre more. But it wasn't perfect, so it'll have to stick with a "GO" rating instead of a "MUST GO!" Expand
mariomguySep 7, 2010
I loved this comedy! I never thought a funeral could provide a backdrop for such hilarity that was found in this film! The action is directed to so many places, but it's so well directed we never lose track of who the characters are, whereI loved this comedy! I never thought a funeral could provide a backdrop for such hilarity that was found in this film! The action is directed to so many places, but it's so well directed we never lose track of who the characters are, where they are, and everything flows together so brilliantly. I don't have the hindsight of having watched the older movie, so I can just rate this one on its own terms. It's a hilarious comedy with very believable acting. It doesn't really matter so much what happens because it all flows and ties up so well. It's not the world's greatest tale, but it's still an enjoyable film that leaves viewers staring at the screen from beginning to end with one great ride.

I only have a few complaints. The vulgarity of some scenes can be ridiculous, including several drawn-out nude scenes, covered by clever camera angles, of course. The final eulogy reading attempts to sum up all of the events that had previously happened, which doesn't work so well for this film. We never see the dead father alive in this film, ever, so his death is much less meaningful and the final eulogy loses most of its impact. If you're looking for a fun film to laugh at endlessly, this is the film for you. If you want to learn a valuable lifelong lesson with complex characters that have important backstories, you're in the wrong genre.
Bullet97Aug 20, 2010
This movie was a plesant surprise. Great cast, good jokes, and some hearty moments. Its far from perfect, but it has some really good moments. I recommend it.
GavGav96Aug 15, 2010
There are good bits and there are bad bits, but this not-too-bad movie (that's been made extremely soon after the original) has good laughs and likeable characters to make this remake a success in its own right.
MikeB.May 3, 2010
One of the worst movies I have ever seen. I don't know what any of these writers, producers, directors, or actors were thinking. unbearable.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
Billc.Apr 26, 2010
Martin Lawrence is no actor,Chris Rock actually does pretty good, but this film is too full of silly stereo types. You see every joke as it's coming and they are all stale.
RyanBApr 24, 2010
This may have the biggest piece of crap movie I have ever seen. The most interesting part of the movie experience was my farting. It smelled so bad that I actually passed out and vomited all over the theater. There was not one thing about This may have the biggest piece of crap movie I have ever seen. The most interesting part of the movie experience was my farting. It smelled so bad that I actually passed out and vomited all over the theater. There was not one thing about this movie that was funny, and Tracy Morgan looks like a stupid alligator and nothing he says is even remotely funny. This movie should be banned from every theater in the country for being the biggest piece of crap every released. Expand
DanHApr 23, 2010
I may have not seen the original 2007 film, but I say this film is probably the best comedy I have ever seen. Honestly, I think it's just a little bit better than The Hangover.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
JerryKApr 22, 2010
Not funny at all, very profane, wouldn't want to know anyone like the family in the movie...walked out after 20 minutes, got a refund...recommend not seeing the movie.
NavyBeanBeanApr 22, 2010
Honestly, the original version was worse. I'm a bit of an anglophile, love (The UK Office, Peep Show, Four Weddings) but the english version of was hard to sit through. I didn't laugh once or say "wow, that's clever" I just Honestly, the original version was worse. I'm a bit of an anglophile, love (The UK Office, Peep Show, Four Weddings) but the english version of was hard to sit through. I didn't laugh once or say "wow, that's clever" I just looked at my watch a lot and watched everyone ham it up and wink at the camera on how hysterical it all was. I prefer the new one because of Tracy Morgan but otherwise it was no very good. Expand
JacobNApr 20, 2010
actually one of the worst movies i've ever seen...and thats saying a lot because i see many many movies. no where near as good as the brittish original. my advice to everyone is to save ten bucks at the box office and go to rend the actually one of the worst movies i've ever seen...and thats saying a lot because i see many many movies. no where near as good as the brittish original. my advice to everyone is to save ten bucks at the box office and go to rend the good version and save money and time. Not. Worth. Seeing. Expand
MartinJ.Apr 20, 2010
This is a horrible film, its not very often that I have to turn a film off, this was the exception to the rule, the humour is mediocre at best and the whole 50 minutes I managed to watch was horrible. Don't waste your time or any money This is a horrible film, its not very often that I have to turn a film off, this was the exception to the rule, the humour is mediocre at best and the whole 50 minutes I managed to watch was horrible. Don't waste your time or any money on this film. You'd be better off spending your time painting a wall and watching that dry, it'd be a darn sight more interesting! Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
ChrisCApr 19, 2010
I found the original to be funnier due to it's intentional morbid and emphasized dry humor. This made the punch-lines and "read-between-the-lines" jokes far more potent. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy our kings of comedy, but I found the original to be funnier due to it's intentional morbid and emphasized dry humor. This made the punch-lines and "read-between-the-lines" jokes far more potent. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy our kings of comedy, but personally, I don't feel it surpassed the original, being a well made movie. Expand
DomenickPApr 19, 2010
I was shocked to see a remake of a movie that came out only 3 years ago. The only thing different form the original was the names and the painful over acting. I just wonder how the pitch went for this movie?
GailR.Apr 18, 2010
Funny sort of but got boring with the nasty bathroom humor, f word constantly and sluggish scenes. could have been a real good movie. Had a great cast and good plot.
ChadS.Apr 17, 2010
As you know, in the primordial days of rock and roll, record companies undermined the 45s of black artists by putting out copycat versions recorded with white singers, and in the process, would then marginalize the original as "race" As you know, in the primordial days of rock and roll, record companies undermined the 45s of black artists by putting out copycat versions recorded with white singers, and in the process, would then marginalize the original as "race" records. Although nobody could put Little Richard in the corner for any length of time, Pat Boone's version of "Tutti Frutti"(thanks to the segregated radio stations) did get more airplay, which translated into more copies sold. Keeping this historical racial divide in the popular arts under consideration, the idiom "turnaround is fair play" comes to mind, since the black version of "Death at a Funeral" will open on three-thousand screens, while the 2007 Frank Oz original(with an all-white cast) had only received a limited release. As both films are virtually the same, the incentive to seek out this little-seen U.K. film is almost non-existent due to our cinematic isolationism, given the blase attitude that Americans have for foreign films(even English-speaking ones). Similar to Elvis Presley reducing Big Mama Thornton to a lady-in-waiting, the grieving brothers who learn about their closeted father are played by two kings of comedy: Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence, taking over for their lesser-known English counterparts: Matthew MacFayden and Rupert Graves. Not surprisingly, while black people have the edge when it comes to rhythm and blues, the Brits are old pros at black comedy, therefore a better fit for a comedy of manners such as "Death at a Funeral". Playing the straight man are neither one of Rock's, nor Lawrence's strengths, especially to a gay dwarf(Peter Dinklage), and a naked man(James Marsden) high on mescaline. Give me Big Joe Turner's raucuous version of "Shake, Rattle, & Roll", and give me the English manor in the countryside that it sits on. Expand