5.3

1. Feb 13, 2014
    I wasn't going to write a review on this one, but seeing all the mixed-to-negative reviews, decided to post something. While Deja Vu has its problems, like the sketchy time-travel explanations given and some inconsistencies between the timelines, it's a good movie nevertheless. Tony Scott's (rest in peace) directing is outstanding, Denzel Washington is charismatic as ever, the plot isI wasn't going to write a review on this one, but seeing all the mixed-to-negative reviews, decided to post something. While Deja Vu has its problems, like the sketchy time-travel explanations given and some inconsistencies between the timelines, it's a good movie nevertheless. Tony Scott's (rest in peace) directing is outstanding, Denzel Washington is charismatic as ever, the plot is quite gripping and the action, while scarce, is thrilling. In other words, it's a good sci-fi thriller, and I recommend watching it. Expand
  2. Oct 17, 2013
    Rather pretentious movie, but it has some real flaws like stupidities in the story and very shallow characters with uneven motivation. The plot has potential though it's not realized properly. The only good things are filming and production.
  3. Apr 26, 2013
    I rather enjoyed Deja Vu. I thought that the plot was solid and did not leave any major plot holes to pick at. The casting was good as were the performances. 'The Girl' in the film was however a bit pointless and it was probably added to kind of add a bit of emotion but the overall film was okay. The only issue was believability but with films like this you don't have to believe in them doI rather enjoyed Deja Vu. I thought that the plot was solid and did not leave any major plot holes to pick at. The casting was good as were the performances. 'The Girl' in the film was however a bit pointless and it was probably added to kind of add a bit of emotion but the overall film was okay. The only issue was believability but with films like this you don't have to believe in them do you? If you had to believe everything could happen before making a film then say goodbye to SciFi completely.
    Denzel puts in yet another solid performance (Not oscar worthy due to the film not being that great) but I found Jim to be a little bit weak. The ending is a little bit normal but its what alot of the mid-range hollywood films do. There is nothing here that surprises and nothing that really disappoints.
  4. Apr 7, 2013
    Deja Vu rubbed me the wrong way. At first we got an overly sociable Denzel Washington (As Agent Doug Carlin) who seemed awkwardly out of place, then we're presented a seemingly overweight and bored Val Kilmer and last but not least, a rather disturbing scene where Doug is viewing the body of a recently deceased young woman by the name of Claire Kuchever (Played by Paula Patton) andDeja Vu rubbed me the wrong way. At first we got an overly sociable Denzel Washington (As Agent Doug Carlin) who seemed awkwardly out of place, then we're presented a seemingly overweight and bored Val Kilmer and last but not least, a rather disturbing scene where Doug is viewing the body of a recently deceased young woman by the name of Claire Kuchever (Played by Paula Patton) and suddenly proclaims that "she sure is beautiful" after which the coroner and Doug both stare at the corpse until the Coroner gives an approving "yeah". This scene felt to me like finding out the pretty girl next door likes to really take the time to clean out her nose and eat the boogers. If the above hasn't convinced you to steer clear of this movie, the plotholes will. Expand
  5. Zal
    Dec 24, 2012
    It has a great concept, but Deja Vu tries to do too much at once. It attempts to combine several genres at once and does not succeed at executing any of them well. It's pretty forgettable.
  6. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a "okay" film, the end was strange... it doesn't fit with the rest of the plot, the man should have died with the accident... Well, at least it's entertaining... and the car chase scene was the best part of the movie. Expand
  7. Sep 29, 2011
    The movie starts out cool and brazen, but in the end it barely manages to hold itself from the tireless cliches it created. A movie I would recommend to rent & watch.

1. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    Cinema's natural felicities for time and action have seldom felt as beautifully dovetailed.
  2. Unlike the last Scott-Washington matchup, "Man on Fire," Deja Vu boasts a muscular, fast-forward story that won't be overwhelmed by Scott's need for speed in the form of rapid cuts and all that visual fusion that have become his stylistic trademark. Here, the approach is perfectly suited to the picture's time-shifting, multitasking structure.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    It's preposterous, but never dull: Scott whips the action into a taut, tasty lather.