Screen Gems | Release Date: July 2, 2014
6.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 113 Ratings
Watch Now
GauvodenJul 15, 2014
Other then some cheap animal scares and even worse mirror / camera scares there's very little to find scary in this movie. The cops scenes all feel like they from a TV show and the climax is predictable at best. Sorry but I just have aOther then some cheap animal scares and even worse mirror / camera scares there's very little to find scary in this movie. The cops scenes all feel like they from a TV show and the climax is predictable at best. Sorry but I just have a hard time recommending this. Expand
moviemitch96Jul 3, 2014
This is overall your standard possession film, but it does have a few cool and unique things about it. I do like how they tried to combine the elements of a police film with a possession horror film. While it definitely worked in some ways,This is overall your standard possession film, but it does have a few cool and unique things about it. I do like how they tried to combine the elements of a police film with a possession horror film. While it definitely worked in some ways, in others it felt all too familiar and cliche. Eric Bana performed his role well, as did Edgar Ramirez. The story was cool and had good elements to offer, however, the main problem is that it's one of those horror films that isn't particularly scary and it consists only of desperate jump scares. Overall, it's a cool to watch, yet forgettable possession film. Expand
LowbrowCinemaJul 8, 2014
Totally enjoyable but devoid of any real scares, DELIVER US FROM EVIL
borrows from just about every exorcism/evil presence/urban
horror/claptrap you can think of. There's not an original bone in this film's body which is very disappointing
Totally enjoyable but devoid of any real scares, DELIVER US FROM EVIL
borrows from just about every exorcism/evil presence/urban
horror/claptrap you can think of. There's not an original bone in this
film's body which is very disappointing considering director Scott
Derrickson was responsible for the very haunting and intriguing THE
EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE. That film too borrowed from other sources, but
it's combination of THE EXORCIST with LAW & ORDER made for something
quite unique.

Not so here. Bad dialog and a really poor exorcism scene add to the
banality. Not a good film at all but it will fill your horror fix.
JohnMasterLNov 3, 2014
Aburrida... Deliver Us From Evil es confusa, la trama se desarrolla lento, muy lento (muchos momentos son sumamente innecesarios, ¿en serio, teníamos que ver como discuten por un partido de baseball? ¿o contar miles de veces el pasado delAburrida... Deliver Us From Evil es confusa, la trama se desarrolla lento, muy lento (muchos momentos son sumamente innecesarios, ¿en serio, teníamos que ver como discuten por un partido de baseball? ¿o contar miles de veces el pasado del padre? Hay muchos huecos en la historia, la película al final de todo no se da a entender. esta es una película de suspenso con acción NO ES UN FILM DE TERROR, cuenta con muchos clichés (vistos en muchas otras películas del mismo tema) no ofrece nada nuevo, es muy pesada y en algunos momentos llega a aburrir, no recomiendo verla en el cine, es de esas películas que deben de verse solo en DVD o TV.
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"Deliver Us From Evil" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

"Deliver Us From Evil" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Good: The performances can't be blamed for the end result here. Bana tried REALLY hard to make this work, Ramirez excelled as a priest with unorthodox methods, and McHale was great as Bana's partner, a knife wielding cop and adrenalin junkie. McHale was particularly notable as he was able to play a serious character while retaining his well known dry humor. Sean Harris, playing the film's creepy main antagonist was probably the best part of the film though as his scenes saved the film from being truly awful. The last 15 minutes or so were intense and well done, making me wonder where this was for the other 1:45.

The Bad: There is nothing scary about this horror film and the creepy moments are few and far between. While "jumpy" moments have come to be accepted in today's horror films, "Deliver Us From Evil" relies heavily on them and over-uses them. The story itself is cliche and something we have already seen MANY times before, bringing nothing new to the genre. The vast majority of the film is slow and boring with very little happening. Lastly, the film takes a few turns that come across as silly. These turns blur reality and the supernatural in odd ways and felt out of place.
renatomoraisAug 12, 2015
"Deliver Us From Evil" is not exactly a horror movie. Here, we have a blend between horror, cop drama and action. Despite the acting of Eric Bana, Deliver really impressed me, specially the well-developed suspense, the dark photography and"Deliver Us From Evil" is not exactly a horror movie. Here, we have a blend between horror, cop drama and action. Despite the acting of Eric Bana, Deliver really impressed me, specially the well-developed suspense, the dark photography and the powerful (but not as chilling as it could be) final act. Expand
PeteStaivJul 17, 2014
One of the most boring horror movie ever! Predictable and uninteresting main plot, blunt characters, this movie doesn't have a single creative detail in it. No reason to see it
Forrestgump1Jul 31, 2014
The term "Inspired by True Events" has been taken a bit extreme lately. Many fellow horror enthusiasts, such as myself, can agree to this. Films like; "The Conjuring", or "The Quiet Ones" use the term "Inspire" which is very loosely based onThe term "Inspired by True Events" has been taken a bit extreme lately. Many fellow horror enthusiasts, such as myself, can agree to this. Films like; "The Conjuring", or "The Quiet Ones" use the term "Inspire" which is very loosely based on something that is somewhat accurate. The latest offender of this term; Scott Derrickson and his fright free flick "Deliver Us From Evil".
“Deliver Us From Evil” is a film that is cringeworthy and can give you a spike on the ole richter scale inside your body. However, It won’t keep you up late at night with nightmares if that is what you're wondering. That being said, at the end of the film’s lengthy two hour run-time, I felt the film dragged on to precariously in a sense to be taken seriously. Rather it settles in to smooth rhythm early on, then sells out for cheap scares that will make little girls scream, but anyone else feeling irritated.

The film opens with the promise “Inspired by true accounts of NYPD Sergeant Ralph Sarchie” Former altar boy turned, who is prone to a natural radar for danger, and trouble. After a dark night in the Bronx Zoo, Sarchie comes in contact with a possessed IRAQ vet. To which, Sarchie writes off as a lunatic. But once his wife (Olivia Munn) and daughter start hearing voices. This is where Father Mendoza (Ramirez) comes in and tests the boundaries of limitations.

The cast itself is top notch, featuring the plentiful-and terrifyingly real performance turned in by Eric Bana as the film chronicles his portrayal of NYPD Sergeant Ralph Sarchie and his accounts of paranormal entities and his journey for the truth. Bana owns the movie and walks with pride. In addition the Community alum, and righteous comedian Joel McHale turns in some dramatic roots as Sarchie’s wise-cracking partner Butler. McHale adds some much needed comedic relief when absolutely necessary. Sadly his charismatic charm, and character development goes nowhere. The real show stealer this time belongs to Edgar Ramirez as Mendoza, a priest with a notorious past that haunts him every day, but can channel his fear and anger through God. While Bana’s Sarchie can’t channel his rage (an ode to his earlier Hulk days?) The two perfectly balance off each other and prove a remarkable friendship that marks the films stronger attributes.

Obviously, with the good comes the ...well you know. With a title that distinctly calls itself “Deliver Us From Evil” I expected a little more. Not to mention our director Scott Derrickson, whose previous films include the taunt and edgy “Sinister” and of course a beloved classic “The Exorcism Of Emily Rose”. Nobody could argue he doesn’t know how to firmly grasp eerie backdrops and make you feel uncomfortable driving home late at night. But, the cheap thrills and gimmicks only make me question his credibility more. I wish that Derrickson took a more character approach (much like “Godzilla” did) and make us care more. Ralph Sarchie has a family on screen in the film, but its very rare when the audience actually see’s them. So to me, I just didn’t feel as emotionally connected. The ending is satisfying (especially for a horror film) Which was something I could appreciate, when most horror films (See “Oculus”) leave us high and dry and chomping at the bit. Derrickson screenplay at least left us with answers (probably because its loosely based on a true story).

Running close to two hours is a hard struggle..for any movie, let alone a self proclaimed-horror flick. There’s of course the occasional thought “Why is he going in the basement alone?!”, or “don’t go down there idiot!” , the same thoughts that come to mind watching ANY other horror flick. I can’t help but feel that these are the over dramatized sequences the film has to offer. And with a director like Derrickson, (just appointed as director of Marvel’s Doctor Strange) he set a bar for himself that obviously he couldn’t live up to.

I don’t wanna give the illusion I didn’t have a good time, because I did. There were moments I could feel the goosebumps linger up my body. There was less of that, then I wanted.. but they all can’t be “The Cabin In The Woods”. The film boasts with authentic performances all around the board, to which I was truly impressed. But, the latter is written..If the film had been more character driven, less gory, and more prone to it’s own plot-and shorter, then perhaps I would be writing a different review. Sadly “Deliver Us From Evil” comes exactly as advertised.. and I wish it didn’t.

C

By: Nate Adams

Directed By: Scott Derrickson
Rated: R
Runtime: 118 mins
Studio: Sony (Screen Gems)
Release Date: July 2nd 2014

Thanks For Stopping By ®
EcclesiumJul 2, 2014
Deliver Us From Evil artistically and successfully commingles two routinely disparate film genres: police crime drama and paranormal horror. Scott Derrickson skillfully and realistically captures the dark ambience common to both in powerfulDeliver Us From Evil artistically and successfully commingles two routinely disparate film genres: police crime drama and paranormal horror. Scott Derrickson skillfully and realistically captures the dark ambience common to both in powerful ways (via the depiction of aversive elemental and environmental settings; an absence of light; an absence of sound; an ominous musical score; and initially disbelieving characters driven to self-discovering belief through their exposure to overwhelming events). The film's portrayal of police tactics, dialogue and procedures is spot-on and its descriptive narration on uncommon subject matter such as primary evil, diabolical oppression, and possession is likewise noteworthy. Moreover, the explicit detail provided on the six stages embodying every genuine exorcism could have been given by the Jesuit Exorcist, Malachi Martin, himself. I give this film a 5 Star rating and predict that it will soon join both The Exorcist(1973) and The Exorcism of Emily Rose(2006) as cinema's ultimate expression of the preternatural realm at work in the real world. Expand
GinaKJul 4, 2014
I am trying very hard to say something positive about this movie, but I cannot recommend it because it is more of a car wreck than a mash-up. It is not the fault of the actors, who were quite believable, but the script was awful and theI am trying very hard to say something positive about this movie, but I cannot recommend it because it is more of a car wreck than a mash-up. It is not the fault of the actors, who were quite believable, but the script was awful and the director uninspired. This movie made me believe that exorcisms and serial killers both should be retired from the screen, but perhaps there was just nothing fresh here. Very disappointing. Expand
thatSTERLINkidJul 10, 2014
So here I am, just getting back from a week long cruise to the Bahamas with one thought in mind: "I really wanna see Transformers again, but in IMAX.". Unfortunately that didn't fly because I'm a firm believer in majority rule and upon theSo here I am, just getting back from a week long cruise to the Bahamas with one thought in mind: "I really wanna see Transformers again, but in IMAX.". Unfortunately that didn't fly because I'm a firm believer in majority rule and upon the mention of "Deliver Us From Evil", my buddies jumped at the opportunity for something new as opposed to something we already liked. Usually I'm all in for a horror movie, and if you know me you know that I'm a huge horror buff. I love it, no, thrive on it! Games, movies, television... Comics? Maybe. Though regardless of my horror obsession and the weird need to be frightened every once in a while, I'm getting sick of the demonic possession movies. This is especially the case with those that are "Inspired By [insert name or event here]", which is exactly what this film is. Honestly, I'm beginning to think that all of these "Inspired By" stories come from schizophrenics who are paid by film writers to go on about what they 'saw'.

"Deliver Us From Evil" has a pretty strong start, at least. Kicking things off in Iraq during 2010, we follow a squad of soldiers who find their way into a tomb that is supposedly riddled with a demonic presence. This is great, but then 3 years go by and we're dropped onto the pursuit of these men from our protagonist, Sarchie (Eric Bana) who is working as a cop called in to a domestic violence case. Upon arriving to the scene, things get even more interesting as an action-packed chase goes down that leads to the downfall of this film: an omega slow pace with really bad and predictable jump scares. Like, the majority of this movie is Sarchie slowly walking around an area with weird noises going on, which you know is over when they attempt to drop a scare on you. When Sarchie isn't walking, he's talking in an attempt to build interesting dialogue that gets washed out by hallucination's and the oh so annoying "Did you see that?" or "Did you hear that?".

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting a good story and a movie taking it's time to become good, but there's nothing more disappointing than a movie that never quite gets there. "Deliver Us From Evil" tries, but with so many plot-holes covered up by jump scares that were forced on the audience a bit too soon, it feels like nothing more than $10 that could have gone towards something much more deserving. The worst part from my personal experience at least, is the fact that both my friend and brother fell asleep for a few minutes during the movie. The two people who not only voted to see it, but you never take to movies with you because they talk the whole time fell asleep! Yeah, it's 'that' slow.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend checking this movie out until you can do so without paying for it. Whether you choose to watch an online bootleg, wait for Netflix, or have a friend who's sucker enough to rent/buy it, just save your time and money here. This is especially the case if you've seen at least 2 demonic possession movies this year already, because nothing much changes here besides this film having one of the most interesting exorcism's I've ever seen. If you've got some extra money to sling around and are still a bit curious then by all means, go check this out... But I warned you.

Rating: 2.5/5 [5/10]
Version Seen: Digital
Party Size: 3
Watch It Again?: No
Buying BluRay?: No
mgs4lordJul 13, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie, “Deliver Us From Evil” could not have been made at a better time in our lives. It is a personal story of good overcoming evil. It is a story of redemption over sin. It is a story of Christ defeating the devil.
This world is filled with so much evil it can cause the good to despair. Evil is everywhere. It is in our lives, our governments and even in our churches. One does not have to be actually possessed by the evil one to experience or commit evil. The movie particularly explores how the evil one enters into the lives of our children to harm them. Nonetheless, this movie offers us holy hope not to despair for good will overcome evil in the end. Christ will overcome the devil. This movie delivers to the world a message that the devil does exist. He can possess people.
This is a movie with action unlike other movies of demonic possession. Ralph Sarchie, a special ops officer, sees evil all around him in his job in the Bronx, New York. He encounters, however, evil unlike he has ever seen in several diabolically possessed people. Sarchie meets a Catholic priest, Fr. Mendoza, in these strange investigations. They eventually join together on a quest to free these people from the demons and in doing so free themselves from evil as well.
The confession scene of Sarchie and Fr. Mendoza struck me with great sensitivity. Sarchie had to go to confession to combat the demons. It was difficult for Sarchie to do this. He was not a practicing Catholic. To help Sarchie confess, Father Mendoza told him about his own past sins. This helped Sarchie to open up his heart to God and to have the courage to confess. He was not confessing to a man. He was vocally confessing to God his sins and heard through the words of the priest God telling him that his sins were forgiven. On a personal note to hear those words, “Your sins are forgiven” as Catholics always gives us personally a great feeling of happiness when we confess so we know how Sarchie felt.
Finally in a poignant scene in the movie after Fr. Mendoza exorcized a demon from one of the possessed we watch as the man, Santino, released from the demon shed tears of relief and joy that God through his priest and Sarchie’s help released him from the evil one holding a medal of St. Benedict. We can go on and on. There is so much to write and examine in this movie. It definitely has impacted our lives a bit in this difficult world. Everyone should see it despite the gruesome scenes. There is Hope.
ScribeHardJul 6, 2014
I liked Deliver Us From Evil, but is it ever a frustrating film. Its strong positives are only weakened by negatives that cannot be ignored, with an imbalance borne mostly of indecision throughout all aspects of the film.
hayashimegumiJul 31, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I usually avoid watching horror films because I am someone who's afraid of almost everything but I must confess, I started to like horror films a little more because of this film!

This film is psychologically horrifying and thrilling. Its art direction is beautiful and its concept is quite interesting. It is also hilarious at times but mostly, frightening thanks to its awesome production crews and casts!

So, if you really want to watch something scary, you should certainly watch this! Happy to be able to watch a such a good American biopic horror film.
fatluigiSep 6, 2014
I went to see this movie two days ago and i still think that it was money well spent.
This movie beside providing jump scares, it has a good history.
This movie beside providing jump scares, it has a good history.
I have to admit that thriller and horror combination is one of the best types of combination that the current Hollywood movies should have.
JalalBlackSep 22, 2014
The horror scenes are really great , but I can't say the same about the script , they could've given us a natural exorcist film , like The Exorcist , but they went for the Supernatural . It started off like a police investigation film ,butThe horror scenes are really great , but I can't say the same about the script , they could've given us a natural exorcist film , like The Exorcist , but they went for the Supernatural . It started off like a police investigation film ,but then they made the bad guy *Spoiler Alert* talk to animals , break windows with his Evilness and walk around with a sliced up body . I was hoping they stick to the book with this one but , anyway , I did buy the book , I hope it has a better story . Expand
VonTalavangOct 10, 2014
A lot of really bad CG... cliches with no sound and suddenly BOOM bloody image in 500 miliseconds... a real cliche. This movie is really poor and have a lot of budget. theres a lot of good horror movies... this one... isnt
sammurphy66Oct 12, 2014
Tedious for the most part and completely lacking in suspense, Deliver us from Evil suffers from cheap generic scares and a poor and very bland story line.
smarteckOct 18, 2014
If you have knowledge about Christianity, you will find that this movie is pretty decent. The production investigate about how such things work in real life. I recommend it ... this film exceeded my expectations.
BrianMcCriticOct 29, 2014
Not a great possession film but it does have Scott Derrickson's style making it a solid watch. Unlike Sinister Derrickson can't turn an under whelming script into gold just bronze. B-
Meth-dudeNov 1, 2014
The movie is enjoyable and the acting is actually good but,the movie was boring sometimes because there was barely no action and probably because the religion was barely a character in the movie because they are always talking about this.(IThe movie is enjoyable and the acting is actually good but,the movie was boring sometimes because there was barely no action and probably because the religion was barely a character in the movie because they are always talking about this.(I have no problem with religion or religious peoples but it is kind of boring in the movies). Expand
ScottshakNov 12, 2014
Derrickson's previous horror ventures like ‪‎Sinister‬ and ‪‎The Exorcism of Emily Rose‬ packed in brilliant creepy factors that signed him off as a new age creative ghost director and all such accolades are justified since Derrick has goneDerrickson's previous horror ventures like ‪‎Sinister‬ and ‪‎The Exorcism of Emily Rose‬ packed in brilliant creepy factors that signed him off as a new age creative ghost director and all such accolades are justified since Derrick has gone pro behind the camera. Unfortunately in this flick what he endeavours to do is uplift a bland tale of devilry, savagery and diabolism and mashes it up with gore, dark and a lot of cop activity. Thanks to ‪Eric Bana‬ who works really hard to make the true story script appear top-notch otherwise there is nothing that makes you skip a beat in the entire movie at all.

True after watching the likes of scared **** horror flicks like ‪The Conjuring and other mind boggling semi scary movies like ‪Insidious‬ franchise we have inadvertently created a mindset that demands shat-your-pants scary stuff from Hollywood, and anything less than that makes us go meh!

Deliver Us from Evil however burns down to downright pathetic in terms of the eerie quotient! Keep your hopes extremely low and you might as well place it somewhere amongst the likes of ‪‎The Rite‬ and other such exorcism entailed horror genre flicks that made ample noise but faded away almost abruptly due to jaded content.
TheQuietGamerDec 19, 2014
Tries hard to bring some original scares by combining the horror genre with that of a police drama. It may be based on a true story, but it definitely isn't based on a scary story. At least that's how the movie makes it look. It's a drawn outTries hard to bring some original scares by combining the horror genre with that of a police drama. It may be based on a true story, but it definitely isn't based on a scary story. At least that's how the movie makes it look. It's a drawn out affair that is devoid of fear, tension, and scares of any kind.

There's some cool imagery from time to time and some great settings that had the potential to strike up some original frights. A early scenario in a zoo instantly had me excited and thinking of cool ways the director could conjure up scares. Unfortunately it served as an lesson in that you really shouldn't expect anything in the way of horror as far as this movie is concerned.

What you get here are some of the flattest jump scares that fail to elicit any sort of reaction at all. To be honest the movie seems more interested in grossing audiences out. The possessed drool and bleed everywhere, and plenty of the environments are covered in slime and trash.

When the film isn't trying to get you to gag it surprisingly comes up with a few laughs. Not all of which are intentional. Eric Bana and Joel McHale play partners who have some amusing back and forth. Most of the other laughs come from just how stupid some of the serious moments are. It tries to scare you and just elicits some chuckles.

It's sad really, because the script isn't half bad. The story flows nicely and the actors are up to snuff. I particularly enjoyed Edgar Ramirez as the Castilian priest. It's just a shame all of this goes to waste because it's just not scary at all. Horror fans are better off skipping this one. This is one true story horror film that forgot the horror. As we all know a horror film that isn't scary isn't worth anyone's time.
WJSFeb 20, 2015
This movie tries very hard to scare us with shocking scenes but even the somewhat decent acting and moody photography can't save the meandering and confusing narrative of this Exorcist wannabe. It's very chatty and attempts to use children inThis movie tries very hard to scare us with shocking scenes but even the somewhat decent acting and moody photography can't save the meandering and confusing narrative of this Exorcist wannabe. It's very chatty and attempts to use children in peril to make us feel gut reaction fear. It's not very good. Expand
JacksonmediaMar 5, 2015
Does not live up to the producer Jerry Bruckheimer, can not understand the praise it received from those who attended, and was indifferent watch dawn, the film is pathetic.
lukechristianscMar 19, 2015
This movie feels like a **** no good horror film that has no gutty fun material on the horror genre, director Scott Derrickson's screenplay only focuses on the "blood," instead of making an awesome horror film . The actors did an okay jobThis movie feels like a **** no good horror film that has no gutty fun material on the horror genre, director Scott Derrickson's screenplay only focuses on the "blood," instead of making an awesome horror film . The actors did an okay job despite their cliche'd roles, basically we dumb two cops trying to solve an ancient a occult case. In my opinion Derrickson's 2012's "Sinister" was one of those films were you **** your pants while enjoy a good horror film it's one of the best of the year. Also based on a true story it just makes this movie dumber, even though the effects are bloodcurling, it can be entertaining at times. Grade C Expand
CherryxldApr 11, 2015
Deliver Us From Evil: 5/10.

Deliver Us From Evil es una película de terror que aunque saca algunos sustos, no resulta ser impactante. Esta película es un film de terror que aunque a pesar de manipular decentemente sus elementos, no
Deliver Us From Evil: 5/10.

Esta película es un film de terror que aunque a pesar de manipular decentemente sus elementos, no logra resultar astuta o intrépida, cobrando un ritmo algo decadente y no ayuda de que en cierto punto empiece a ser un tanto fastidiosa. Este largometraje no es malo en todos los aspectos, debido a que logra darle algunos toque siniestros y terroríficos a su atmósfera, pero por desgracia este film no es lo suficientemente fuerte como para ayudar a que causen un impacto explosivo, aunque por ello no quiere decir que no causen impacto, ya que lo hace de una manera respetable, pero no llega a ser de una manera impresionante. Así que, en general, estamos ante una película que en ciertos puntos llega a dar sensaciones escalofriantes, pero que el director Scott Derrikson no llega a plasmarlo de una manera completamente intrépida y no teniendo la fuerte tensión que tenía “Sinister” (que también es del director de esta película).
GabrielMetacritApr 21, 2015
"Deliver us from evil" ou "Livrai-nos do Mal" é um filme de terror acima da média atual, possuindo uma boa história e uma trilha sonora incrível, usando música da banda The Doors como "Break on Through" e "People are Strange" que além de"Deliver us from evil" ou "Livrai-nos do Mal" é um filme de terror acima da média atual, possuindo uma boa história e uma trilha sonora incrível, usando música da banda The Doors como "Break on Through" e "People are Strange" que além de serem boas músicas e combinarem com as cenas, tem ligação com o enredo, tornando tudo ainda melhor. O filme tem certas falhas, como tentativas invalidas de assustar quem está vendo, mas possui muito mais pontos positivos e com certeza vale a pena para os fãs de terror. Para concluir, o filme não é perfeito, mas é muito bom recomendável para amantes de filmes de terror, e não para aqueles que esperam se assustar ou assustar alguém. Expand
horcrux2007Jul 27, 2015
Considering how difficult it is to find a decent modern exorcism flick, it's always nice to find one that will be a visceral and sometimes scary ride. Deliver Us from Evil is one of those movies. Sinister director Scott Derrickson takes theConsidering how difficult it is to find a decent modern exorcism flick, it's always nice to find one that will be a visceral and sometimes scary ride. Deliver Us from Evil is one of those movies. Sinister director Scott Derrickson takes the helm of this cop procedural turned possession film Deliver Us from Evil which is based on NYPD sergeant Ralph Sarchie's allegedly "non-fiction" novel Beware the Night. I believe that this is based on true events about as much as I believe that The Conjuring and The Amityville Horror movies are "based on true events", but let's just roll with it. In Deliver Us from Evil, NYPD sergeant Ralph Sarchie, played by Eric Bana, teams up with a priest schooled in the rites of exorcism to investigate a series of crimes around their city. What makes this movie so much different than other exorcism movies is that it is primarily a cop procedural. A lot of the twists and thrills come from Sarchie investigating these crimes and finding new information and evidence, making this a uniquely gritty possession film. Deliver Us from Evil mostly thrives on the unpredictability of the plot rather than gross-out scares, Scott Derrickson's direction also allows some dense atmosphere throughout the entire film. Unfortunately, there are quite a few unnecessary jump scares littered throughout the movie. Some of the jump scares do actually work, but for every one that works, there are two more that fail miserably. It's the biggest drawback to an otherwise good film. Deliver Us from Evil, despite some horror cop-outs (pun definitely intended), is a gritty and surprisingly entertaining exorcism flick that should surprise and even scare you. Expand
Julian125Jan 26, 2016
A very good movie,liked it since i saw Eric Bana as main character...the only thing i didn't liked in this movie was the priest,his character was pretty **** up
LeZeeOct 4, 2016
An unusual team of two to fight the evil spirits!

An unusual team of two to fight the evil spirits!

This was based on the real account. A cop from the New York who witnessed those unexplained events are what this film depicted for us. I think it is slightly an underrated film. Not because of true story, but from the entertainment perspective. From the beginning till the end, I enjoyed watching it. Horror means there's no big scary stuff in it, still being true to the genre, it told a decent story. It was well written and directed, a film that I almost missed, but now I can gladly suggest it to the others. But it is just an above average, yet worth a watch.

The story follows a cop who witnesses a series of strange events, which also influence his past. In the most of the case, he's trying to find one particular person, a painter seen in and around the city. So he and his partner finally find that strange man and when they do, it is already too late. One of them gets injured and the other one tries his best teaming up with a priest to fight the demon that terrorising the city. The film ends with an interesting event. Looks a sequel won't be a bad idea, since the duo is still fighting the devils as what the end statement reveals.

There's a recent television series I'm watching called 'Outcast' and this film is kind of resembles that. Anyway, this one came first, but what makes they both be alike is the unusual team up between two different field people. The series is like a follow-up of this film, or maybe inspired by this original story. Eric Bana is not everybody's favourite, but his films are quite enjoyable and for this, he had given his best. Co-stars are not bad either; particularly Edgar Ramirez was awesome as a priest. I hope you would find it interesting as I did. It would be beyond that for some, so all I say is watch it with a low expectations.

6.5/10