7.8

1. Sep 14, 2010
    Okuribito draws the viewer in almost immediately. The subtle, hidden messages are as prevalent as the obvious messages. It teaches the significance of life, death, love, and the importance of family. The phenomenal audio makes the touching scenes even more personal. A film worthy of our eyes and of the Oscar it received.
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    Beautiful film, great story and an amazing lead performance. The little details are the ones that makes you to not stop watching!! A very deserving winner of the oscar!!
  3. Mar 11, 2012
    Great music scores are what the japanese does best.
  4. Jul 5, 2013
    Beautifully shot with some great exteriors; the landscape take quite a big part in this film. There were some lovely comic moments as well as some quite distressing scenes as the families go through all kinds of emotions as the say goodbye to their loved ones. I’ll admit to having found it quite touching at times and even shed a tear or two for my dear departed mum. Of course music plays quite a big part in the film and there are some really touching scenes as Daigo plays his cello out in the fields. I did find, however, that the final act didn’t quite have the emotional punch I had expected. Yes, the emotions were there, but it didn’t quite hit home the way I anticipated. Even so, it’s a film I really enjoyed and one I would happily watch again someday.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.2/10
  5. Jan 3, 2014
    A sensação que esse filme proporciona magicamente confortável, acompanhado de sua bela trilha sonora e personagens carismáticos. E com uma trama interessante.

1. It will resonate with anyone who has ever buried a loved one and struggled to reconcile the myriad emotions--grief, anger, helplessness. Which is to say, everyone. And yet out of this premise comes glop. Departures needed a little more work in the morgue--like cutting to the bone.
  2. Reviewed by: Eddie Cockrell
    TV scribe Kundo Koyama's first bigscreen script peppers the proceedings with rich character detail and near-screwball interludes that shouldn't fit but somehow do.
  3. Reviewed by: Maggie Lee
    Yojiro Takita, who directed enduring commercial hits like "The Ying Yang Master" and "The Yen Family," has made a popular gem -- thematically respectable, technically hard to fault, artfully scripted to entertain and touch.