7.5

1. Jul 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despicable Me 2 (2013) is about the ex-supervillain Gru, who has already denounced his evil deeds to become a loving father of three adopted girls. He is currently adjusting to his new family life and attempts to be a legitimate business man which is in fact, admirable. However, Anti- Villain League kidnapped him and later, put him back in action (as a spy though) because they believe that he would be helpful in solving a crime as Gru should know how a villain thinks and acts. Nonetheless, this sequel also reveals more antics of their characters and minion mischief, where we'll be able to observe their true selves throughout the film and they are all so hilarious!

In brief, this is most likely my favorite 2013 American animated film even though there are a couple more that I haven't watch. I watched this film on theatres last year; it is fun, adorable and it lift up my mood! Some of the scenes are epic and funny; I certainly have had a good laugh watching this film and most of all, there are also plenty of moments that made me go aww! If you liked the first Despicable Me film, you'd find yourselves liking this film too. Most audiences would be amused at the character's antics and the plot twists; it is really a fun and adorable film to watch. And of course, minions fans would love this film to death! I'm definitely anticipating their upcoming films!
  2. Jul 29, 2014
    This is a sequel well below its predecessor. "Despicable Me 2" struggles to deliver laughs and this struggle outshines its emotional touch and adorable characters. The plot is uninspired and the minions are far too excessively used here to make the result more entertaining. After a very good first film, "Despicable Me 2" seems pretty unable to keep the franchise going.
  3. Jun 5, 2014
    Consensus: Despicable Me 2 is predictable and unnecessary, but it's irresistibly hilarious and has a talented voice cast. 70/100 (B)

While Gru, the ex-supervillain is adjusting to family life and an attempted honest living in the jam business, a secret Arctic laboratory is stolen. The Anti-Villain League decides it needs an insider's help and recruits Gru in the investigation. Together
    with the eccentric AVL agent, Lucy Wilde, Gru concludes that his prime suspect is the presumed dead supervillain, El Macho, whose his teenage son is also making the moves on his eldest daughter, Margo. Seemingly blinded by his overprotectiveness of his children and his growing mutual attraction to Lucy, Gru seems on the wrong track even as his minions are being quietly kidnapped en masse for some malevolent purpose.

I'll do a very short review because i really don't care this film, yes, i laughed a lot and it's a good film, the voice cast is charming and the animation is pretty good. I really like the first movie, it's a very emotional film with an original plot, but this one was made it for money and that's sad. The plot is simplistic and cliche. It's a very unnecesary film but still funny and has sense. Too much minions here but it's ok for me because they're hilarious i really don't care if they had more running time on screen than Gru and the other characters.

One issue that i didn't like about the film is that has so many Mexican stereotypes and that was very annoying to me. Whatever, Despicable Me 2 is a must see, the voice cast and the gags are astonishingly great. It's a film with quality, not as engaging as the first one. But it's a great sequel, sequels always suck, but this one doesn't, you'll laugh a lot. Visit my blog: memobosque.blogspot.mx Twitter: @MemoBosque
  4. May 25, 2014
    A good movie but doesn't outdo it's predecessor well at least not right now maybe after a couple more watches then maybe it will. After the events in the first film Steve Carell (Gru) is done being a villain he now is just a family guy watching over his three daughters. He gets hired by a Anti-Villain League to track down and find this other villain. In this one Gru has a partner Kristen Wiig (Lucy Wilde) she was ok but didn't really see the point of her other then a type of love story but it's Kristen Wiig and i love her so i'm fine with it. The minions were awesome just like in the first film i love the little number at the end of the movie.

Overall i give it a 7.7 will for sure be buying this on blu ray it has tons of laughs throughout the movie. Id recommend this to anyone that has little children also it's one of those kids movies that adults can watch without ripping out their eyes
  5. May 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Can Be the a Kids Favorite but not when Lucy Moves to a Different Country. Minions were OK in the movie. But Kind of the same language as they speak and kids may say the language but the parents won't understand the language. Expand
  6. May 16, 2014
    I didn't expect the second one to be as good as the first one, but it totally was. Soooo entertaining, the kids loved it! Funny, well written and great voice overs too. Thank you Steve!
  7. May 1, 2014
    I had a lot fun with this one just as much as the original! I do recommend it and i think that if you liked the first part you should defenitely watch this!
  8. Mar 30, 2014
    the sequel is gay . but some parts i enjoy like the purple druggie minions . but however i seen way to many times . since the despicable 3 is cooming soon i wont enjoy that one . Grade D
  9. Mar 21, 2014
    This movie is so funny!!! The funniest are Minions and Shannon at the date!!!!! Can't wait for the next movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Mar 8, 2014
    This sequel is intelligent, and it's just as good as the first. Honestly, the minions are hilarious as hell. The film cannot even exist without them. The film covers more on family and romantic situations and it's just all good fun.
  11. Feb 15, 2014
    Sequels are always worse! But not in this case! The movie, was cute and funny! The story was well developed. The ending was great as well! I highly recommending watching this movie!
  12. Feb 15, 2014
    ultimate fun ever before, awesomeness of story music all had great experience even from its first part (despicable me), animation work has much much improved, and 3D experience was really great taste.
  13. Feb 7, 2014
    Not as good as the first, but still an incredibly charming and funny animated movie that families will love. The animation and voice acting are once again top-notch, and the movie provides plenty of laugh-out-loud funny moments. The plot is a tad too familiar, relying on themes that have been used way too much in animated movies. This is especially noticeable when compared to the original plot of the first movie. Overall though this doesn't ruin the movie at all and this is still a highly recommendable movie that will bring smiles to faces of every family who picks this up for family movie night. Expand
  14. Jan 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel "Despicable Me 2" was an unnecessary sequel. Does that mean I hate it? Of course not; it's still a good movie, just not one that can surpass the first, in my opinion. The slapstick is taken way higher, some jokes were great while others were hit-and-miss, and though the new characters were funny in their own right, none of them really got much character development, save for the villain El Macho. The two things I felt that just came out of nowhere were Margo's short-lived romance with Antonio and Dr. Nefario leaving Gru to do evil again. The former never lead to anything; they shared about two or so scenes together until Antonio left Margo. It just felt out of place and distracted from the main plot. The latter always confused me; I understand Nefario is the one who kidnapped all the Minions and brought them to one place where they could be controlled by El Macho, but why couldn't El Macho just do this himself? And it doesn't take much convincing for Nefario to regroup with Gru. At that point I questioned why he'd even left in the first place. In conclusion, while some parts were memorable and others just didn't work, I find myself saying again this was an unnecessary sequel. It's good, but not great. The first one can't be topped in my opinion, but if you want to just kick back and laugh at more Minion antics, then this is the flick for you. Expand
  15. Jan 13, 2014
    Not as good as the original Despicable Me, with some note of deteriorating jokes, but still as 2013 standout, even if Frozen is one step ahead. There are more minions than ever now, it's humorous and ironic, just how it is expected to be, and the plot is very easy to understand compared to other movies I've seen. A definite choice for a movie.
  16. Dec 29, 2013
    Although this is a film intended for children, who aren't exactly the best at judging whether or not a film is good, I still believe that they should be held against the same scale as other films. with that out of the way, I will now say, this film was, in a word, awful. the plot was boring and bland, the protagonist, Gru, is now boring and flat, and the minions are only there to provide cliched comic relief. there are better ways to spend your money than on this film. Expand
  17. Dec 21, 2013
    The first movie Despicable Me I liked more, was coming down target entertain viewers, have a good plot and leave a good message, it gets the same objectives but does not do as above, entertain: this can be see every scene in a humorous moment and there are some that can be achieved and other shows you just giggle, in other comics the few moments I managed to get a laugh. Cast in that this is higher than the first, is based on a smarter idea. Message: This is a message of love, but does not become like the message obtenia previous paternity. I like the truth, but between this and the earlier I prefer Despicable Me. That if the minions are more fun and these characters are the best of the movie. Expand
  18. Dec 13, 2013
    Minions take center stage against its human counterparts (who are still underdeveloped), and shine in this humorous, yet predictable and light-hearted installment.
  19. Dec 8, 2013
    Despicable Me 2 loses a bit of the elements that gave the first movie its charm. But, it also adds a whole lot new. This movie works perfectly as a sequel. It shows how Gru has moved on and is adapting to fatherhood, while still retaining his zany lifestyle (sorta.)

DM2, seemed less funny than the first movie, but also had much more heart and depth. In other words improving on the
    formula.

Overall:
    Despicable Me 2 is a fantastic sequel and allot of fun to watch.
  20. Nov 23, 2013
    While not having much heart as the previous, Despicable Me 2 gathers laughter for both children and adults and features major character development while also utilizing more on the lovable characters without making them just a sell-out, the Minions.
  21. Nov 8, 2013
    I feel as if Despicable Me 2 is just not quite as charming or unique as the original. I think what made me like the original was the "bad guy" theme; it lacks the originality of its predecessor. I find the new character of Lucy Wilde somewhat annoying, and I was rolling my eyes at Margo falling for Antonio as well as Gru marrying Lucy. I also didn't find myself laughing as much as I did during the first film, the film just isn't that funny. The three girls also had a lot less screen time. The new villain El Macho doesn't make as much of an impact as"Vector". However, its still entertaining enough and will satisfy its younger viewers. The minions are still great, at least.

(P.S, "Despicable Me 3" and a spin-off film "Minions" are in the works!)

If you liked this review, please mark this review as helpful and read my other reviews on a wide variety of movies, TV shows, and videogames.
  22. Nov 6, 2013
    En ésta época, dónde las películas de Pixar ya decaen en originalidad, "Despicable Me 2" es todo un espectáculo de la misma, superando (en mi opinión) a la película original. La recomiendo a personas que disfruten de la originalidad de los diversos proyectos animados que han llegado a ser recordados por su magistralía: y créanme, las películas de Despicable Me, serán recordadas por sus hermosas historias, sus animaciones penetrantes, sus momentos divertidos y sus personajes originales.
    Una de las mejores películas animadas del año.
  23. Oct 28, 2013
    The plot/story is less tight than the first movie, and the girls were a bit under utilized and not central to the plot. However that said, DM2 is still a very faithful sequel to the first movie. It's still incredibly detailed in visuals, designs, characters, and backgrounds. I found the movie very entertaining and amusing, and nothing was out of place compared to the first movie.
  24. Oct 27, 2013
    Though not like despicable me 1, but it has its own flavor with all of sweetness and fun in it...love minions and their activities.. i think they r the lives of this movie..
  25. Oct 25, 2013
    There's some odd and unfunny (but I suppose were supposed to be funny?) moments and some pointless/obnoxious songs that don't fit but otherwise Despicable Me 2 is a great sequel to a great movie, even if Gru isn't playing the villain this time around. It's funny, it's ridiculous, and it gives you hope for once proud big screen animated movie just like the original.
  26. Oct 18, 2013
    Despicable me was a interesting animation that I saw. But I think Minions are coming by creative mind. They are telling lots of things to kids or us. It is also animation but social messages are very helpful to understand something in our lives. Sometimes we can think like minions from despicable me and this can help us in some situations, and this film can Show us this subject perfectly. This is my hit because this film has a purpose for feeling somethings. Expand
  27. Oct 17, 2013
    the movie is not as good as the first one. It could have been a great one but they just ruined. First of all the movie seems forcing itself to be funny with the minions with their gibberish vocabulary, it is funny but not all the time. Then instead of focusing on the main plot which is what the villain is planning, the movie focuses on the romance of two main characters. The main disappointment was the very short confrontation of the villain and the hero. Expand
  28. Oct 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My wife and me (27 and 31 yrs old) have been to see this movie at the cinema yesterday (15.10.2013) but we both decided to leave at the intermission.. I don't complain about the animation itself which is enjoyable and well cared but the plot.. the jokes.. too boring. A few initial smiles then I hardly remeber to even heart the others laughing.. but silence rewarding characters' jokes. Disappointing. Could be nice for kids.. but if we compare to Scroods animation then that one I enjoyed very much so the problem is not the age likely Expand
  29. Oct 14, 2013
    I watched the first movie by chance more than anything and I found out a very fun movie, with a cute touching story at the end. The sequel is good too, but it is one step below mainly because of the lack of pathos and general likeness: for instance, most of the characters aren't very developed (as in, no real backstory: just few mentions or words) and sometimes it can result in a bit of curiosity... not even Lucy (the partner) hasn't much to talk about her past, and she was an amazing side character! Alas, she is just there for the action...and that's not exactly a bad thing, and simply because this movie is just for the laughs and sillyness. In other words, it is not as good as the original, but it is a good movie nevertheless: it has good laughs, good puns (minions are still hilarious to watch and hard to hate); the 3 girls are likeable; the partner, as I mentioned, is amazingly fun; the action is good and the main character has some good resolution in the end and gets a great reward.
    As we all thought, I should add.
  30. Oct 7, 2013
    Predictable, with funny jokes at various times. "Despicable Me 2" does not have the originality of its predecessor. It has good moments but they are no better than "Despicable Me". Okay, "Despicable Me 2" is good but "Despicable Me" is better.

1. Reviewed by: Tasha Robinson
    Jul 10, 2013
    Despicable Me 2 has its charms, in its spritely pacing, a rapid-fire gag-delivery system that hits as often as it misses, and especially in its innovative, expansive use of 3-D space.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Jul 8, 2013
    It's still a first-class charm assault.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary Pols
    Jul 5, 2013
    Despicable Me 2 is far more entertaining than the disappointingly bland "Monsters University" and as a sequel stands level with the first film, and may have the edge on it.