7.4

1. Nov 8, 2013
    I feel as if Despicable Me 2 is just not quite as charming or unique as the original. I think what made me like the original was the "bad guy" theme; it lacks the originality of its predecessor. I find the new character of Lucy Wilde somewhat annoying, and I was rolling my eyes at Margo falling for Antonio as well as Gru marrying Lucy. I also didn't find myself laughing as much as I didI feel as if Despicable Me 2 is just not quite as charming or unique as the original. I think what made me like the original was the "bad guy" theme; it lacks the originality of its predecessor. I find the new character of Lucy Wilde somewhat annoying, and I was rolling my eyes at Margo falling for Antonio as well as Gru marrying Lucy. I also didn't find myself laughing as much as I did during the first film, the film just isn't that funny. The three girls also had a lot less screen time. The new villain El Macho doesn't make as much of an impact as"Vector". However, its still entertaining enough and will satisfy its younger viewers. The minions are still great, at least.

(P.S, "Despicable Me 3" and a spin-off film "Minions" are in the works!)

If you liked this review, please mark this review as helpful and read my other reviews on a wide variety of movies, TV shows, and videogames.
  2. Jul 10, 2013
    Like another reviewer, I found the movie a bit flat. I felt like the screenplay was trying to kill time to compensate for the lack of a plot. I did chuckle a couple of times, but altogether the film wasn't really enjoyable for the adults, and eminently forgettable. ...though the kids enjoyed it.
  3. Jul 3, 2013
    I'm glad to see that the critic scores are edging up, it really doesn't deserve any less than a 7 average.
    In a way they've followed the classic sequel-ruining approach of cramming in more plot threads, more characters, and bigger action, but in this case I actually found it to be the perfect way forward. The hyperactivity and loony-toons silliness works even better at a faster pace, and they still take time to breath for some surprisingly heartfelt moments in between. They certain crank up the cheese in these moments, but they spoof tired cliches and tropes so well that even then it manages to be consistently hilarious rather than nauseating.
    It also benefits greatly from a much better, less annoying villain this time around.
  4. Jul 3, 2013
    The movie is extremely funny and cute and the minions are hilarious! It is one of the best animated movies ever and though it may have a thin plot the movie is enjoyable for all ages and sure to be a BIG hit.
  5. Jul 4, 2013
    "Despicable Me 2" is funny, but struggles with its plotting and it's missing the "bad guy" theme puts the film below its original. While this movie does have its moments of laughs, it's no where near the cleverly built structure of Gru from the first film. At first, the films starts well, with surprising suspense and gives high hopes, but the film does fail later to reveal the purpose of"Despicable Me 2" is funny, but struggles with its plotting and it's missing the "bad guy" theme puts the film below its original. While this movie does have its moments of laughs, it's no where near the cleverly built structure of Gru from the first film. At first, the films starts well, with surprising suspense and gives high hopes, but the film does fail later to reveal the purpose of the cool first scene. This leaves many simple questions that weren't answered and leaves the audience confused. Although the movie's humor does shine through the film, the plotting, does seem, fairly standard. Gru's villainous theme is gone in this movie, and in most cases, hurts the film rather than helps it. Gru, who is now a father and a "good" guy, has a different approach to this film, and is not as unique as the first film. While the first film focused on the cleverness of bad guy and good dad qualities, "Despicable Me 2" abandons this and focuses on Gru as a good person in life. While the minions are as fun as ever, they take up a large portion of the film from their shenanigans, which is a bit tiresome. The storyline is fairy straightforward and nothing new, with Gru and Lucy's love story isn't put with enough depth. The film focuses sometimes on rather "stupid" scenarios that may seem cute, but lags a bit, and unfortunately wastes time on trying to be humorous. Moments like these slow down its pacing, and does affect the film's outcome. The villain in the film starts out strong, but in the end, ruins his potential and could have felt more sinister, but barely does anything. The ending climax isn't much new the hero wins, and nothing else really. The film doesn't do much to the audience, except laugh, which is okay I guess to several kids today. The film isn't close to the best of the best (I'm very surprised how close it is to Monsters University on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, as I found Monsters University a lot better), but it's a good laugh.., which we sometimes just need. Expand
  6. Jul 3, 2013
    EVEN VILLAINS NEED A LITTLE ROMANCE. Generally speaking, it can be a gamble to follow up on a well-received movie with a sequel doubly so if that movie is animated. Luckily for Despicable Me 2, that gamble mostly pays off with an enjoyable, if slightly less heartfelt sequel to the 2010 original. Of course, this film's biggest obstacle was finding a basic premise. The whole first movieEVEN VILLAINS NEED A LITTLE ROMANCE. Generally speaking, it can be a gamble to follow up on a well-received movie with a sequel doubly so if that movie is animated. Luckily for Despicable Me 2, that gamble mostly pays off with an enjoyable, if slightly less heartfelt sequel to the 2010 original. Of course, this film's biggest obstacle was finding a basic premise. The whole first movie hinged on the idea that a supervillain named Gru (voiced by Steve Carell) could be redeemed. But now that he's redeemed, what do you do? It's kinda like making a sequel to How the Grinch Stole Christmas; the main character is fundamentally different from the one you started with. In the case of Despicable Me 2, Gru no longer seeks riches or power, only the love and safety of his three adopted daughters, Agnes (Elsie Kate Fisher), Edith (Dana Gaier) and Margo (Miranda Cosgrove). So where do you go from there? Directors Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud could have taken the easy route and made Gru bad again. Instead, the filmmakers introduce a love interest, Lucy played by Wiig an Anti-Villain League agent tasked with recruiting Gru as a spy. Using Gru's past knowledge as a supervillain, the unlikely duo set out to track down an evil mastermind who's stolen a chemical compound that mutates lifeforms into deadly, invincible monsters. Not surprisingly, Wiig and Carell play well off each other even in animated form and Wiig's energetic, offbeat character is a welcome addition to the series. Her performance really complements Carell's, and Lucy is a fun, peppy counterbalance to the cantankerous Gru. Gru's daughters, meanwhile, add another layer to the main storyline, as Gru continues to fine-tune his parenting skills particularly with Margo, who's recently taken an interest in dating boys. But as you might expect, the real stars of this movie are the Minions. Where in the first film Gru's yellow henchmen were mostly played for laughs, here they become integral to the plot and are just about as involved in the story as Gru. Perhaps not surprisingly, it works to the sequel's advantage, both narratively and comedically. In fact, after watching Despicable Me 2, the idea of the Minions getting their own spinoff actually doesn't sound half bad. As for the story, Despicable Me 2 isn't anything groundbreaking, but then again, neither was Despicable Me. That doesn't mean there isn't plenty to enjoy. Given Gru's emotional changes in the last film, the sequel isn't so much a supervillain send-up as it is a spy parody, which gives the franchise a fresh new feel, albeit a not quite as edgy one. Likewise, the journey for Gru here is less about him learning how to be a parent and more about him learning how to interact with women. By its nature, this story isn't going to tug at the heartstrings as much, but it certainly does amp up the comedy. Is Despicable Me 2 a laugh riot? A few scenes are, but more often than not it'll put a smile on your face and garner a steady stream of chuckles. While this movie is undoubtedly made for kids, there are definitely several bits for the older set as well. Story aside, Despicable Me 2 is also beautiful to watch. As with most 'toons these days, the animation is positively gorgeous, and the 3D is top notch. If nothing else, this flick has spectacle appeal, for both audiences young and old. If you enjoyed the first Despicable Me, this sequel offers more fun, shenanigans and a solid followup story to the 2010 original. While Despicable Me 2 isn't the most laugh-out-loud or innovative family film, its stunning animation and amusing hijinks make it worth a watch in between other summer flicks. Expand
  7. Jul 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Didn't really like this movie coming away from it. This was a big surprise I like the first one and I heard great things about the sequel. As time passes, I've liked it less and less until, frankly, I actively hate it now. Final analysis as to what turned me off: it's such a chick flick. It is a romantic comedy with minions. If you are into that genre, as most women are, you'll probably love Despicable Me 2. If you are an adult male, this one is poison you have to suffer through. Luckily the minions launch attacks against the estrogen assault periodically trying to break the monotony (and they do wind up stealing the pic). That is your only consolation.

The main plot and the majority of the subplots are anchored upon various femme fantasies. All characterization of each main character is rooted upon either their romantic or mother relationships, except for the villain. The villain is actually worse than a cardboard cutout villain. He's fat, hairy, underdeveloped, and notably unsexy and unsympathetic in any way. That last point is a huge surprise given the background of Gru and the whole premise of the first movie (sympathetic villainy). Boys are slammed as dangerous and irredeemable hearbreakers or worse, and sure enough the one boy character is last seen smugly breaking the heart of one of Gru's daughters.

The highlight of the film revolves around the shenanigans involving an awkward date in which the "true love" female saves the bungling male from a And of course, the villain is dispatched via what else but a lipstick weapon in an anti-climatic final confrontation that doesn't match the energy of the date scene. The ending is, what else, a giant wedding concluding when the girls declare they finally have a mother they can love.

Yuk, yuk, yuk. Guys, beware.
  8. Jul 9, 2013
    While Despicable Me 2 has plenty of laughs some lazy writing. ltos of filler, and a clhice and predictable story prevent this film from being as good as its predecessor. Fans of the original will probably enjoy this film though and be able to overlook these flaws with the story but everyone else will. For everyone else if you were not a fan of the first one you are definitely not going toWhile Despicable Me 2 has plenty of laughs some lazy writing. ltos of filler, and a clhice and predictable story prevent this film from being as good as its predecessor. Fans of the original will probably enjoy this film though and be able to overlook these flaws with the story but everyone else will. For everyone else if you were not a fan of the first one you are definitely not going to like this film and I’d stay skip it. I wouldn’t recommend seeing this film unless you are a die hard Despicable Me I would say either skip this film or wait until it comes out on DVD. Go see Monsters University if you want to see an animated film because while it is a kids film and lacks the humor of Despicable Me it is much more engaging and well written than this obvious cash grab, which has convinced me that Illumination Entertainment is only capable of creating animated films to entertain little children, which is not what I want to see because outside of the first Despicable Me this studio has made films that are really meh. Expand
  9. Jul 16, 2013
    An Incredibly cute ending along with hilarious, entertaining, and very heart-warming moments and the extra moments with the minions doing silly antics all throughout the film including during the end credits are what make Despicable Me 2 just as good as the original!! While the original is still fantastic and I liked the villain a lot better in the first Despicable Me movie, I stillAn Incredibly cute ending along with hilarious, entertaining, and very heart-warming moments and the extra moments with the minions doing silly antics all throughout the film including during the end credits are what make Despicable Me 2 just as good as the original!! While the original is still fantastic and I liked the villain a lot better in the first Despicable Me movie, I still enjoyed Despicable Me 2!!
    It will be one those movies that I will add to the items that I wish to have on Christmas!!
    I still really liked it and I would actually like to see the film again either in the theatre, on Blu-Ray as rental, or even after I receive this movie on Blu-Ray 3D as a Christmas gift on Christmas or even after I buy this film on Blu-Ray 3D after Christmas for post-Christmas Shopping!!
    I would rate this film a 9.95/10 on a 10-star scale!! On a 5-star scale...I would rate this film a 4.95/5..on a Letter Grade Scale from A+ to an F...I would rate this film an A Grade!!!!
  10. Jul 13, 2013
    I loved the minions! There were plenty of moments where they had the whole theater laughing. A lot of people seem to be upset that Gru no longer acted as a villain, but it was still enjoyable. I like the two films equally. If you had fun watching the first one, there's no reason to think you won't like this one. Not a favorite of mine, as far as animated films go, but it was worth theI loved the minions! There were plenty of moments where they had the whole theater laughing. A lot of people seem to be upset that Gru no longer acted as a villain, but it was still enjoyable. I like the two films equally. If you had fun watching the first one, there's no reason to think you won't like this one. Not a favorite of mine, as far as animated films go, but it was worth the price of admission, as they say. Expand
  11. Jul 10, 2013
    Yes, it was made for children, but it the main things I loved from the original: Character development, creativity and the charm of Gru being evil. It just wasn't quite as good as the first one, and they went overboard with the minions, I feel.
  12. Jul 4, 2013
    This movie was flat. The story was very boring and banal. Throughout the film I felt little to no feelings for any character. I see that many people thought the jokes were funny, but I found them to be insisting upon themselves. As if they were funny simply because they were meant to be. The original pieces of the soundtrack were very stock sounding, and those few non-original songs wereThis movie was flat. The story was very boring and banal. Throughout the film I felt little to no feelings for any character. I see that many people thought the jokes were funny, but I found them to be insisting upon themselves. As if they were funny simply because they were meant to be. The original pieces of the soundtrack were very stock sounding, and those few non-original songs were quite honestly bad. It didn't even sound like the voice actors were doing anything but reading directly from the script. For me, the biggest problem with this film was that the entire production felt too bland; when I was watching this I felt as if the writers and director had played a games of visual mad-libs from a passage that has been used far too many times.
    On the positive side the animation is good. That's about it.
  13. Jul 8, 2013
    Despicable Me 2 is nearly despicable with its silly and downright annoying characters. It is full of lame jokes that will make kids laugh but not adults. It barely has and ounce of anything to take seriously.
  14. Jul 11, 2013
    I actually enjoyed this sequel more than the original. There are more laughs, because the minions are featured more. I guess you either enjoy the low brow humor of the minions or you don't. I think they are hilarious. The 3D is better than average, and at the end of the film while the credits are rolling they feature clips with the minions where the 3D really shines. The animation isI actually enjoyed this sequel more than the original. There are more laughs, because the minions are featured more. I guess you either enjoy the low brow humor of the minions or you don't. I think they are hilarious. The 3D is better than average, and at the end of the film while the credits are rolling they feature clips with the minions where the 3D really shines. The animation is really excellent looking throughout. It isn't quite up there with the best of Pixar, or even "How To Train Your Dragon", or "Kung Fu Panda", but it's close. Expand
  15. Jul 5, 2013
    With non-stop laughs and an excessive sense of fun and with great and charismatic performances and gorgeous animations. Despicable Me 2 is a great sequel that pretty much tops its predecessor in terms of humour and entertainment value even though it may lose a bit of its touch in its latter half.
  16. Jul 4, 2013
    The best family comedy this year. Despicable Me is the best great animated movie series. It was a superhero adventure packed with action and lots of laughs. Kids and adults will be talking about this movie for months.
  17. Jul 4, 2013
    After watching a no-fun movie like man of steel, here comes the funniest movie of 2013! Funnier than Monsters university! This is not like the first one, but this is a perfect sequel. Minions are the x-factor of this movie! They always steal the show! But minions are more funnier, more cuter and more crazier than in the first movie! The latest addition of Lucy Wilde is awesome. HerAfter watching a no-fun movie like man of steel, here comes the funniest movie of 2013! Funnier than Monsters university! This is not like the first one, but this is a perfect sequel. Minions are the x-factor of this movie! They always steal the show! But minions are more funnier, more cuter and more crazier than in the first movie! The latest addition of Lucy Wilde is awesome. Her character is a very effective one! She is the best human character in this movie! This is the most-wanted animation flick of 2013! A must-watch movie for anyone! More minions this time makes the sequel much better! Expand
  18. Jul 8, 2013
    It's disappointment, inferior to first in every single way! Plot are boring and too simple, jokes are for kids only, so if someone gives it a high rating he's probably 10 year old. Animation is great, but that's not enough
  19. Jul 3, 2013
    If you liked the first one you'll love this one too. Though it is not as touching it still sparks a good message and leaves you pleased and entertained. Fun for the whole family.
  20. Jul 9, 2013
    One of the only movies better than the first one that isn't that much different. It's very funny and the Minions are the best thing ever. One of the best movies this summer.
  21. Jul 19, 2013
    Espero que esto acabe pronto una buena animacio rinde credito aPixar escogidas de Disney y bueno lo demas aveces sobresale sin embargo el peor erro de esta empresa fue poner esta pelicula.
  22. Jul 4, 2013
    As VFX and standards rise up, there is no doubt quality in movies needs to also. Despicable Me 2 reaches them, and slightly more. I would say that it was about as good as the first one, and the background to the movie was gorgeous. Even though the humor becomes a little bit crazy, it fits well with a movie like this.
  23. Jul 10, 2013
    Fun. Especially if you see it with a theater full of kids. Plenty to keep the adults entertained as well. Lots of laugh out loud moments. The minions make the movie as you'd expect.
  24. Jul 11, 2013
    Like so many sequels, this one lacks the inventiveness of the original. Gru, the villain, is now a good guy and he's recruited to help stop an old evil rival. Of course, the popularity of the minions assured that they're even more prevalent. They're still cute, but the off-kilter gags are less off. The visual style is still quirky, but the humor is more mainstream and less funny. WhileLike so many sequels, this one lacks the inventiveness of the original. Gru, the villain, is now a good guy and he's recruited to help stop an old evil rival. Of course, the popularity of the minions assured that they're even more prevalent. They're still cute, but the off-kilter gags are less off. The visual style is still quirky, but the humor is more mainstream and less funny. While it's certainly energetic and the soundtrack is slamming, it's simply not as much fun this time around. NOTE: Just like the last one, the best 3D is during the credits. Expand
  25. Jul 19, 2013
    The story is quite predictable, but remember that you are watching Despicable Me 2 for the humor, not the story. If you go in with that mindset, you'll not be disappointed. Trust me, you'll laugh, regardless of how old you are (I'm 19).
  26. Jul 17, 2013
    One thing about movie reviews that may always be a challenge to me especially those whom review movies as a profession, I wonder what they are looking at sometimes. The Critics score was 63 with 39 reviewers 21 Positive and 17 Mixed and 1 Negative. Ideally with an animated movie there is a basic fundamental story being told so your expectation is 1) Be Funny 2) Story should flow and notOne thing about movie reviews that may always be a challenge to me especially those whom review movies as a profession, I wonder what they are looking at sometimes. The Critics score was 63 with 39 reviewers 21 Positive and 17 Mixed and 1 Negative. Ideally with an animated movie there is a basic fundamental story being told so your expectation is 1) Be Funny 2) Story should flow and not belabor the point 3) And give us a nice ending. So my puzzlement with reviews is what are we watching, Despicable Me 2 raised the bar with fun, excitement and sheer enjoyment. I laughed from beginning to end, the story flowed very well and the ending was amazing. With an animation thats all you need in some cases there are failed attempts with freshness, but this movie is fresh and I'd watch it again and again as I have done many other favorites. Yes reviews are someones opinion and point of view, but sometimes it just doesn't need to be so difficult. Expand
  27. Jul 14, 2013
    I took my family to see it and we all loved it; even my three year old sat still through the entire thing. The minions are hilarious and Gru is a more likable character this time around. definitely recommend this one to any fan of animation.
  28. Jul 10, 2013
    Were you disappointed Gru didn't get a chance to use his dance moves to woo a lady friend in the first Despicable Me? Well worry not, Despicable Me 2 is here to entertain and slightly annoy with its overly saccharine message of family. Despicable Me 2 tells the story of how Gru gets roped into stopping an elusive villain by ditsy anti-villain agent Lucy Wilde (Kristin Wig). Along the wayWere you disappointed Gru didn't get a chance to use his dance moves to woo a lady friend in the first Despicable Me? Well worry not, Despicable Me 2 is here to entertain and slightly annoy with its overly saccharine message of family. Despicable Me 2 tells the story of how Gru gets roped into stopping an elusive villain by ditsy anti-villain agent Lucy Wilde (Kristin Wig). Along the way Gru must contend with his new role as a single father and how to move past his old life as a villain. The main problem with Despicable Me 2 is that it doesn't capitalize on its emotions, it doesn't make you feel as warm as the first one did, in fact it only really makes you wish you were watching it. The film is impressive for its visuals, in fact the film ups the spectacle quota quite a bit and the budget seems bigger meaning the action feels more impressive but it lacks that personal touch. The kids are just as entertaining, Agnes with her youth, Edith with her oddly fun obsession with violence and Margo with her faux grown up sensibility. They are just as good but the scripting in the first was tighter giving each of the children moments. In this Edith is a cameo, she rarely appears and has very few lines or things to do. In fact this film doesn't really emphasize family so much as scream it at you making for a fairly manipulative film and without one of the children in the actual film it feels like whatever message they are trying to delivers seems a tad moot considering the lack of a cohesive family for almost the entire run time. Expand
  29. Jul 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another amazing flick, not as good as the first but just as funny! Especially the minions, I love them! Anyone who loves animated movies needs to see this now! Although I felt the final battle was a little lackluster, the sweet ending almost brought tears to my eyes, it was so cute! Watch it now! Expand
  30. Jul 15, 2013
    This movie is especially for kids, now in my case the first part was the best (Despicable Me).
    Sometimes i feel pretty boring because bad jokes but wt hell, my wife enjoy like a little girl...

1. Reviewed by: Tasha Robinson
    Jul 10, 2013
    Despicable Me 2 has its charms, in its spritely pacing, a rapid-fire gag-delivery system that hits as often as it misses, and especially in its innovative, expansive use of 3-D space.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Jul 8, 2013
    It's still a first-class charm assault.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary Pols
    Jul 5, 2013
    Despicable Me 2 is far more entertaining than the disappointingly bland "Monsters University" and as a sequel stands level with the first film, and may have the edge on it.