7.5

1. Jul 29, 2014
    This is a sequel well below its predecessor. "Despicable Me 2" struggles to deliver laughs and this struggle outshines its emotional touch and adorable characters. The plot is uninspired and the minions are far too excessively used here to make the result more entertaining. After a very good first film, "Despicable Me 2" seems pretty unable to keep the franchise going.
  2. Dec 29, 2013
    Although this is a film intended for children, who aren't exactly the best at judging whether or not a film is good, I still believe that they should be held against the same scale as other films. with that out of the way, I will now say, this film was, in a word, awful. the plot was boring and bland, the protagonist, Gru, is now boring and flat, and the minions are only there to provide cliched comic relief. there are better ways to spend your money than on this film. Expand
  3. Oct 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My wife and me (27 and 31 yrs old) have been to see this movie at the cinema yesterday (15.10.2013) but we both decided to leave at the intermission.. I don't complain about the animation itself which is enjoyable and well cared but the plot.. the jokes.. too boring. A few initial smiles then I hardly remeber to even heart the others laughing.. but silence rewarding characters' jokes. Disappointing. Could be nice for kids.. but if we compare to Scroods animation then that one I enjoyed very much so the problem is not the age likely Expand
  4. Sep 26, 2013
    qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
  5. Jul 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Didn't really like this movie coming away from it. This was a big surprise I like the first one and I heard great things about the sequel. As time passes, I've liked it less and less until, frankly, I actively hate it now. Final analysis as to what turned me off: it's such a chick flick. It is a romantic comedy with minions. If you are into that genre, as most women are, you'll probably love Despicable Me 2. If you are an adult male, this one is poison you have to suffer through. Luckily the minions launch attacks against the estrogen assault periodically trying to break the monotony (and they do wind up stealing the pic). That is your only consolation.

The main plot and the majority of the subplots are anchored upon various femme fantasies. All characterization of each main character is rooted upon either their romantic or mother relationships, except for the villain. The villain is actually worse than a cardboard cutout villain. He's fat, hairy, underdeveloped, and notably unsexy and unsympathetic in any way. That last point is a huge surprise given the background of Gru and the whole premise of the first movie (sympathetic villainy). Boys are slammed as dangerous and irredeemable hearbreakers or worse, and sure enough the one boy character is last seen smugly breaking the heart of one of Gru's daughters.

The highlight of the film revolves around the shenanigans involving an awkward date in which the "true love" female saves the bungling male from a And of course, the villain is dispatched via what else but a lipstick weapon in an anti-climatic final confrontation that doesn't match the energy of the date scene. The ending is, what else, a giant wedding concluding when the girls declare they finally have a mother they can love.

Yuk, yuk, yuk. Guys, beware.
  6. Jul 19, 2013
    Espero que esto acabe pronto una buena animacio rinde credito aPixar escogidas de Disney y bueno lo demas aveces sobresale sin embargo el peor erro de esta empresa fue poner esta pelicula.
  7. Jul 10, 2013
    Like another reviewer, I found the movie a bit flat. I felt like the screenplay was trying to kill time to compensate for the lack of a plot. I did chuckle a couple of times, but altogether the film wasn't really enjoyable for the adults, and eminently forgettable. ...though the kids enjoyed it.
  8. Jul 4, 2013
    This movie was flat. The story was very boring and banal. Throughout the film I felt little to no feelings for any character. I see that many people thought the jokes were funny, but I found them to be insisting upon themselves. As if they were funny simply because they were meant to be. The original pieces of the soundtrack were very stock sounding, and those few non-original songs were quite honestly bad. It didn't even sound like the voice actors were doing anything but reading directly from the script. For me, the biggest problem with this film was that the entire production felt too bland; when I was watching this I felt as if the writers and director had played a games of visual mad-libs from a passage that has been used far too many times.
    On the positive side the animation is good. That's about it.

1. Reviewed by: Tasha Robinson
    Jul 10, 2013
    Despicable Me 2 has its charms, in its spritely pacing, a rapid-fire gag-delivery system that hits as often as it misses, and especially in its innovative, expansive use of 3-D space.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Jul 8, 2013
    It's still a first-class charm assault.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary Pols
    Jul 5, 2013
    Despicable Me 2 is far more entertaining than the disappointingly bland "Monsters University" and as a sequel stands level with the first film, and may have the edge on it.