7.7

1. Oct 6, 2011
    The puerile movie takes its chances on the comedy and humor rather than the story and characters. As a result "Despicable Me" may sometimes be overly reactive to such preposterous comedies they create, but at least succeeds in making a mark in the innocent hearts of the young ones with its mellifluous tone.
  2. Aug 26, 2010
    The movie's formula might be "cute and fluffy" but plot and jokes are nothing worth remembering and Steve Carrell has never been less funny. The little girls and minions give a few good laughs, though.
  3. JohnL
    Jul 12, 2010
    One of the best done animated movies I have seen. It is packed with lots of humor and quick wit. As with every movie, one must ignore critic reviews and experience it.
  4. Aug 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A turbaned man, a Muslim in Egypt, is nearly killed by a van carrying American tourists; ugly Americans, made so by the film's use of Lynyrd Skynard's "Sweet Home Alabama" blaring over the soundtrack, signifying impropriety. And sure enough, the tourists emerge from the van like they own the place, decked out in garish excursionist regalia, oblivious to their display of cultural insensitivity. Right away, "Despicable Me" establishes the American character as being hardly heroic, despicable even, conveyed through the southern family's non-concern for the Muslim pedestrian. When the young boy falls from the pyramid's scaffolding, he falls without any interference from a superhero, because there is no such thing as a superhero(read: Americans and Muslims alike are despicable). This satirical, and boldly subversive opening, demonstrates how the film views America as being the lesser of two evils in every global conflict. America is the more congenial villain. The boy falls; the boy bounces, off from the fake pyramid, perhaps, a metaphor for the fake war, initiated by the despicable against the relatively despicable. The world of "Despicable Me" is a dystopian one, and this opening scene establishes this dystopia, by going against the grain of how America sees itself, as heroes, because there's an expectation level on the moviegoer's part that some man from the sky will swoop down from the heavens and save the boy before he hits the ground. But alas, "Despicable Me" is not that movie. There's only villains, like Dru(Steve Carrell), an aging evil mastermind, engaged in a race to steal the moon with Vector(Seth Rogen), an upstart scoundrel who wants to just like Dru. This anti-NASA notion is a contest that could easily be construed as a parody of America's fight with the Soviet Union to conquer space during the Cold War. ("Victor", Vector's "nerd name", incidentally, is the NATO name for a class of nuclear-powered Soviet attack submarines.) When Dru deploys his shrink ray at the lunar sphere, he becomes an evil Neil Armstrong of sorts: the first man to walk all over the moon. He represents the America that other countries make us out to be, a tyrannical America. But Dru has a sentimental streak, a conflicted man who believes in family values, and saves the world, even though nobody asked him to save the world in the first place, as the cause of the dilemma was of his own making. Depending on who you are, Dru's actions, taken in its entirety, makes him either a hero, an anti-hero, or a villain. Expand
  5. cmcc
    Jul 10, 2010
    Old jokes. I felt like I had already seen this move.
  6. Mar 20, 2011
    well out of all theese family CGI films ive seen this one is prolly down on the bottom of my list. its not bad bujt its not great eather . i found it to be just ok and thats about it . the only decent comedy comes out of the little minions .
  7. Jan 21, 2012
    (5.5 is more accurate) This is a solid animated feature and not too much else. If you got kids you like to watch movies with, this is a suitable number. The frame-shifted world of evil villains living amongst us in our suburbs, relatively civilly half the time, is an entertaining slant to enjoy. The main villain and character is a charming enough rendition of a curmudgeon with ambition.(5.5 is more accurate) This is a solid animated feature and not too much else. If you got kids you like to watch movies with, this is a suitable number. The frame-shifted world of evil villains living amongst us in our suburbs, relatively civilly half the time, is an entertaining slant to enjoy. The main villain and character is a charming enough rendition of a curmudgeon with ambition. (Although, honestly, I think Steve Carrellâ Expand
  8. Mar 30, 2014
    i seen this movie way too many times . but its okay movie and its 55 % enjoyable . but hello people its 2014 forget this animation film . this film is old . watch good and a 2014 favorite movie . Grade C
  9. Jul 20, 2011
    A colourful and enchanting animation it certainly is, but it's nowhere near the quality of animation giants like Pixar. Not only this, but it's very forgettable and nothing special. Once in the cinema, yes, it's a nice treat. Twice...no. DVD... definitely no...
  10. Jun 24, 2012
    Pretty interesting story with humorous jokes and nods toward popular culture that the kids wouldn't necessarily get, but the parents that are dragged in will enjoy. The story will tug at your heart strings just a little bit. Well...maybe it will nibble if even that much. I mean, if you're into the whole predictable plot and sappy story. It's a moderately enjoyable film to sit through; notPretty interesting story with humorous jokes and nods toward popular culture that the kids wouldn't necessarily get, but the parents that are dragged in will enjoy. The story will tug at your heart strings just a little bit. Well...maybe it will nibble if even that much. I mean, if you're into the whole predictable plot and sappy story. It's a moderately enjoyable film to sit through; not too long, will give you a few laughs, and a better look toward your life's priorities. Give it a bit of a chance. Expand
  11. Jun 7, 2013
    Despite its best efforts Despicable Me is never quite as funny, particularly for adults, as the very best of the computer animated genre, an honour which for me still belongs to Toy Story. Thanks to some excellent voiceover performances and plenty of sight gags however it certainly entertaining enough to make for a decent watch and children will love the little green minions.
  12. Jul 4, 2013
    Before reviewing this movie, and even though I have watched this before, I only clearly remembered Gru's voice and the minions, which left a bad impression considering that I couldn't remember most of what happened in the original movie. After watching the movie, I somewhat understood why. While "Despicable Me" has some charm, funny minions, and wonder voice work from Steve Carell, itBefore reviewing this movie, and even though I have watched this before, I only clearly remembered Gru's voice and the minions, which left a bad impression considering that I couldn't remember most of what happened in the original movie. After watching the movie, I somewhat understood why. While "Despicable Me" has some charm, funny minions, and wonder voice work from Steve Carell, it still has issues with so much visual effect that it leaves a slightly negative impression. "Despicable Me" is not refined as the best animated fare and has an interesting theme on bad guy's, but doesn't do anything to us but laugh (and that's fine). "Despicable Me" is just average, but that's fine considering it does have hilarious moments that we will probably see again in "Despicable Me 2". Expand
  13. Aug 6, 2013
    Despicable Me es muy entretenida, pero no para toda la gente. Ademas es algo cerrada de ambiente, debía tener un ambiente mas abierto. Que te hiciera sentir la sensación de un mundo en una pantalla. Pero aun así contiene una cierta cantidad de carcajadas con algunas sorpresas propias que en mi opinión la vuelven una película "Buena".
  14. Sep 9, 2013
    If you only watch a movie for one part or character then the rest of the film is irrelevant. Despicable Me is only enjoyed because of the minions who are quite funny but provide immature and slapstick humor.
  15. Nov 17, 2013
    Despicable Me is despicably entertaining.
    An interesting concept mixed with great dialogue, and a clever script. Despicably Me shows moments of heartwarming laughter and comic evil explosives.
  16. Mar 4, 2014
    One of the worst opening theme musics I've ever heard, so that didn't set a good first impression with me. Comedy is too juvenile for my liking. Kids would no doubt love it, but there still needs to be more for the more mature for it to better rounded. Story isn't great and seems to be handled a little sloppily, voice acting is meh and I didn't feel much for the emotive content. NothingOne of the worst opening theme musics I've ever heard, so that didn't set a good first impression with me. Comedy is too juvenile for my liking. Kids would no doubt love it, but there still needs to be more for the more mature for it to better rounded. Story isn't great and seems to be handled a little sloppily, voice acting is meh and I didn't feel much for the emotive content. Nothing new for me really. Expand
  17. Dec 31, 2014
    A really average film: the story telling is quite poor, the gags are mostly visual and not all good, it's one cliche after one another, the story's pace is way too quick (the main character suddenly change from being a "bad" anti-hero to a "good" anti-hero in a matter of 5 minutes of film) and the characters aren't developed at all. Despite that it's technically well done, though veryA really average film: the story telling is quite poor, the gags are mostly visual and not all good, it's one cliche after one another, the story's pace is way too quick (the main character suddenly change from being a "bad" anti-hero to a "good" anti-hero in a matter of 5 minutes of film) and the characters aren't developed at all. Despite that it's technically well done, though very classic in choice of shots and angles (animation shouldn't be limited by that, seriously).
    If you want to see a movie about the importance of family, the notion of family family and what happens when children appear in the life of an atypical family of outcasts/anti-heroes, watch Tokyo Godfathers. It does better than this with much, much less funds.
  18. Jun 28, 2015
    De acordo com cada critica que fiz, minha visão relacionada com as animações mudaram parcialmente, mas esse filme mesmo em minha nova visão não me fez mudar muito o modo de avaliar sua qualidade,
    talvez sim, mas não consigo dizer que esse filme é de qualidade positiva pois é muito exagerado em algumas cenas.

1. A rousingly funny, heartfelt and imaginative 'toon blessed with the vocal talents of Steve Carell and loaded with whimsy and smarts.
  2. Another 3-D animated kid movie demonstrates that cartoon storytelling pitched to young people is the last, best refuge of sprightly filmmaking this hard, hot summer.
  3. Despicable doesn't measure up to Pixar at its best. Nonetheless, it's funny, clever and warmly animated with memorable characters.