7.6

1. Oct 6, 2011
    The puerile movie takes its chances on the comedy and humor rather than the story and characters. As a result "Despicable Me" may sometimes be overly reactive to such preposterous comedies they create, but at least succeeds in making a mark in the innocent hearts of the young ones with its mellifluous tone.
  2. Aug 26, 2010
    The movie's formula might be "cute and fluffy" but plot and jokes are nothing worth remembering and Steve Carrell has never been less funny. The little girls and minions give a few good laughs, though.
  3. Dec 1, 2010
    You are led to believe that this is about a bad guy who because of some adorable kids, becomes a good guy. In fact, it really a story about some terrible animation (from a much overused style) about a guy who isn't really that bad (he has minions that he does care about - knows their names, asks how they're doing...), isn't very good at pulling off bad pranks (steals the Statue of Liberty - the small one from Las Vegas), and is just focused on the moon from a childhood experience. The movie handles the 'adoption' terribly - I mean can you really walk into an orphanage and bring home 3 kids in a day on the basis of some obviously made up references? There are just so many things wrong with the plot it's just ridiculous, but even if you want to give it a pass because it's a "kid's movie" and you have to pretend to be stupid for those types of movies, then fine let's focus on the animation. Somewhere between Shrek and The Incredibles, it became "the thing" to do a certain type of animation that got just enough realism to do people correctly, but not too much to be freaky. Since then, this and every other animated movie that comes has to follow this style. The problem is that the style is a compromise, that only works so-so. Just like this movie. Expand
  4. Feb 12, 2012
    Despicable Me has dazzling animation, lots of laughs, originality, cute little characters (the minions), and just a heartwarming story , backed by solid voice acting make for an ideal family film. I give this movie 89%.
  5. Mar 9, 2012
    Despicable Me is one the animated film that I enjoyed the most; starting by the plot: two bad guys that are constantly fighting to demonstrate who is the most evil. The interesting thing is that these two villains are very real, they both have conflicts with themselves and with the people that surround them, and both are trying to have a better life. Here lies the charm of the movie, the amazingly well develop characters, and with this I not only refer to the protagonist and antagonist, I also refer to the girls, the old scientist and the minions; all this bunch of captivating characters during the film, manage to break their stereotype. This release of the characters is the most remarkable concepts of this picture, because nowadays the protagonists are typecast and their development is linear or zero. This achievement should be awarded, the director and writers of Despicable Me have come back to the classics. This is what the animation filmmakers must learn, the pillar of cartoon production is a character that breaks his stereotype and evolve to an original form. Expand
  6. Aug 13, 2010
    Sure, this movie was a little kiddy, but at about half the movie, there was, surprisingly, some funny stuff for my age. It could've been better if little kids would understand that Jason Segel, pretty much plays how he is in real life, lazy, sort of that Steve Carrel- type character in Anchorman: The Legend of Rob Burgundy, but most of all, silly as Hell. The movie was also a little sappy, but yeah, for an animated movie about a guy being a dad while also having a "second life" to the kids, you should expect something like that. In my opinion, this movie was worth your money. See it yourself if you don't believe me! Expand
  7. Aug 27, 2010
    A funny, family-orientated film that really goes into depth about adoption and, thatâ
  8. Sep 3, 2010
    A surprisingly good non-Pixar animated film. No crude jokes, many levels working at the same time, and heart also in a real way not in a Shrek calculated way. It earns its emotions. The film owes a lot to Bond and The Incredibles but it's fun in its own right. A very pleasant surprise.
  9. Oct 12, 2010
    Surprisingly enjoyed this, although the 3D at times seemed quite poor, the overall animation of the film was good and the story line was enjoyable. Heart-warming tale for all ages. IT'S SO FLUFFY!
  10. Dec 13, 2010
    Light Bulb." It took a little time for the light bulb to turn on in "Despicable Me", but when it finally does it actually becomes a good film. The slow start almost ruined it for me but luckily the visuals were good enough to keep me intrigued while the directors Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud figured out where they were going with the movie. And I must say when they finally figured things out it completely turned the movie around for the better.

Read full review at FlicksWorthWatching.com
  11. Dec 22, 2010
    Excellent animation and a series of funny moments make this a thoroughly entertaining film to watch for the whole family. The story verges on absurd but then again it is a fairytale where minions exist and the world's greatest villains have a soft spot for orphans.
  12. Jan 24, 2011
    the movie was awesome..but it did tend to rush at some points
  13. Feb 2, 2011
    I am 31 yrs old and for some reason I still like watching animated film. I absolutely loved those little minion things, they were hilarious! The only problem that I had with this movie was that Steve Carrell accent was a little weak, and at time he just sounded like himself trying to do a Russian accent. Overall this was pretty funny movie. Acting: OK
    Storyline: Good
    Characters: Good
  14. Mar 15, 2011
    Borrowing heavily from Disney and Pixar animation, Despicable Me is charmingly written and thoroughly involving for children of all ages, with remarkable voice acting from Steve Carell.
  15. May 30, 2011
    A great film, harmless family fun.

I'll be honest it's nothing new but it's got it's charm and is worth watching, i'd rent rather than buy though :P
  16. Jun 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's been a long time since Universal stopped making 2D animated features except in 2006, they made Curious George that starred Will Ferrell and the rest of the cast. Four years later, they released their first CGI animated feature length film, Despicable Me. I've never saw it in theaters, but I've got the DVD of this movie and now I'm going to review it.

It revolves around a super-villain named Gru, who plans to steal his arch-nemesis's shrink ray in an attempt to shrink/steal the moon. One day, he adopts three girls from an orphanage and made them do the job for him. Upon being distracted by them, he learns that being a father is more important than just being a super-villain, but little does he know that he himself is on a desperate battle between him and his arch-nemesis named Vector.

I know what the story was about, but you have no idea how much this movie has impressed me. It has a terrific voice cast, great animation, cool action scenes, and entertaining comedy.

The only problem that I had with the movie was the villain named Vector. He's wasn't given enough screen time to begin with, but that doesn't mean the characters have anything to do with it.

Despicable Me lacks in any depth with the villain, but has solid acting and very good comedy. It is in no doubt one of the best animated movies ever made since the Disney era.

17. May 16, 2013
    Despicable Me deals in the absurd and comes out winning on every level. Why is it that the villains of a film also make for more memorable and worthwhile characters? This is pretty much what the film surrounds itself with, all these villains attempting to outdo each other by becoming the greatest villain ever known.
    Steve Carell voices Gru, an evil mastermind who isn't feeling quite as
    evil these days, someone has stolen the Great Pyramid, and is now considered the greatest villain in the world, much to the dismay of Gru.
    The thief in question is Vector (Jason Segel) who seems like an accidental villain, simple minded and naive. but with the typical evil lair that is just too funny to ignore, sharks, missiles and hidden rooms, the film is rich with cliche but knows that it is, making it that much more enjoyable.
    Gru aims to better the pyramid raid by stealing the moon, thats right, the moon. With the help of his trusted mad scientist Dr. Nefario (Russell Brand) and his hilarious minions called the, er.. Minions, he hatches a plan to finally be called the best.
    But when he must infiltrate Vectors lair to retrieve a sonic ray that reduces the size of any object, he is upstaged by all the gadgets on show, so he adopts three orphan girls so as he can get them to deliver robot cookies to the house so as he can move forward with his plan. But who knew he was going to pick the most loveable and funniest of the bunch.
    Agnes is the smallest of the trio, and by far the funniest, she sees and believes things that the others don't, and truly sees a father figure in Gru.
    It's difficult for a fresh comedy to come in and leave a lasting impression without falling into the same routine of previous attempts, but the film manages to take a very popular and gestated idea and basically poke fun at its own absurdity, and that is where the true laughter lies in this film, the fast-paced animation we are used to seeing in a Pixar film are present here, mixed with a perfect variation of characters and a brilliant voice cast that also includes Julie Andrews and Will Arnett.
    A truly funny and original film has been created with Despicable Me, it has the absurdity and laughter of a one-liner comedy but the heart and assurance of a Pixar classic, without being a Pixar film.
  18. Aug 11, 2010
    Besides Steve Carell's wonderful accent, the best thing about 'Despicable Me' is how touching it manages to be, despite the fact that the film is clearly set up to end on a good note.
  19. Aug 12, 2010
    Good movie for the whole family. The characters were lovable, especially Gru. The soundtrack was fun too (featuring Pherell). We've all been running around the house saying things like "Freeze Ray", "Lightbulb", and "Squid Launcher". That's usually a sign of good fun at a movie when the kids return home with some funny lines.
  20. BKL
    Aug 13, 2010
    This is a Great movie. I myself saw it the day it was released. And loved it. The minions are the funniest characters of the movie. They just do the silliest of things.
  21. Aug 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A turbaned man, a Muslim in Egypt, is nearly killed by a van carrying American tourists; ugly Americans, made so by the film's use of Lynyrd Skynard's "Sweet Home Alabama" blaring over the soundtrack, signifying impropriety. And sure enough, the tourists emerge from the van like they own the place, decked out in garish excursionist regalia, oblivious to their display of cultural insensitivity. Right away, "Despicable Me" establishes the American character as being hardly heroic, despicable even, conveyed through the southern family's non-concern for the Muslim pedestrian. When the young boy falls from the pyramid's scaffolding, he falls without any interference from a superhero, because there is no such thing as a superhero(read: Americans and Muslims alike are despicable). This satirical, and boldly subversive opening, demonstrates how the film views America as being the lesser of two evils in every global conflict. America is the more congenial villain. The boy falls; the boy bounces, off from the fake pyramid, perhaps, a metaphor for the fake war, initiated by the despicable against the relatively despicable. The world of "Despicable Me" is a dystopian one, and this opening scene establishes this dystopia, by going against the grain of how America sees itself, as heroes, because there's an expectation level on the moviegoer's part that some man from the sky will swoop down from the heavens and save the boy before he hits the ground. But alas, "Despicable Me" is not that movie. There's only villains, like Dru(Steve Carrell), an aging evil mastermind, engaged in a race to steal the moon with Vector(Seth Rogen), an upstart scoundrel who wants to just like Dru. This anti-NASA notion is a contest that could easily be construed as a parody of America's fight with the Soviet Union to conquer space during the Cold War. ("Victor", Vector's "nerd name", incidentally, is the NATO name for a class of nuclear-powered Soviet attack submarines.) When Dru deploys his shrink ray at the lunar sphere, he becomes an evil Neil Armstrong of sorts: the first man to walk all over the moon. He represents the America that other countries make us out to be, a tyrannical America. But Dru has a sentimental streak, a conflicted man who believes in family values, and saves the world, even though nobody asked him to save the world in the first place, as the cause of the dilemma was of his own making. Depending on who you are, Dru's actions, taken in its entirety, makes him either a hero, an anti-hero, or a villain. Expand
  22. Sep 4, 2010
    Never in my life have I found an appropriate time to use the word "cute". There is no way to describe this movie without including the C word. I'm 20 years old and I throughly enjoy this movie. The 3D was unecessary but I didn't mind spending a little extra to see probably one of my favorite movies this summer (close race with Inception. Opposite ends of the movie spectrum am I right?)
  23. Sep 5, 2010
    Charming movie - I was really not expecting this.

I suppose, as they say, "the minions make it!" Yes, but it's also "period" - "Golden Spy Era" setting and humor, and I always loved that.

It's not predictable - something else to love. It's not (as you will say I often say!) a great film, but it is a very ENTERTAINING film, and it's VERY ENJOYABLE. Quite a surprise. Go in with no
    expectations and you will come out HIGHLY satisfied! Expand
  24. Oct 9, 2010
    "Despicable Me is fun , pure - hearted goodness , but i feel cheated .. because the movie went to fast , i really loved those little Yellow Minions they made the movie what it was , but for the most parents and kids alike will have a ball @ this "3D" Film" .. B
  25. Oct 12, 2010
    A fun, light-hearted animated film that doesn't reach Pixar-level heights, but certainly is far better than most of the dreck Dreamworks has been putting out in recent years ("Kung Fu Panda" excluded). I can't imagine a child disliking this, but it does not have the emotional depth or wit to transcend its target audience.
  26. Oct 18, 2010
    This was the other big animated movie that came out last summer alongside Toy Story 3. What intrigued me first was the fact that two great actors were lending their voices in it and one just so happened to be one of my favorite actors (Jason Segal and Steve Carell). If you don't know about this movie basically it follows a supervillian and his gang of minions as they try and steal the moon, but a group of orphans get in the way and you can figure the rest. I thought it was pretty clever in the whole storyline and it was very funny, mainly due to Steve Carell's one liners in the movie ("What is this? This is garbage. This passes for literature?"). Is it better or as good as it's "competitor" Toy Story 3? Hm.. Probably not I suppose but Toy Story is in it's own league anyway, this was a solid animated film. 3.5 out of 5.

27. Oct 20, 2010
    Although the story isn't totally heart-warming and a few jokes felt a little tired, Despicable Me is still quiet clever in a few places and shows some great animation and design.
  28. Oct 30, 2010
    Movie was pretty interesting and funny. One of the most funny characters is Minions, dumb, hearty, and good-looking. Nice story. Funny jokes. It was funny to watch how bad guy became good one.
  29. Nov 13, 2010
    Great movie, forget the bad reviews! This video is worth seeing, no matter how old you are. This movie is way better than Toy Story 3! Meet Vector, Gru, and the kids for a thrill-packed ride! Believe me, it's awesome!
  30. Nov 30, 2010
    A very cool movie. The minions are hilarious, and it's worth seeing just to laugh at them. Not a groundbreaking film and not going to win any awards, but I'd watch it again.
  31. Dec 21, 2010
    Though its materials are mostly cliche and have been used in Hollywood for a long time, Despicable Me delivers its high-class materials with charms, cute, and heartfelt style. Steve Carrell's voice performance is probably the better ones of voice performances I've seen in years. His cute minions also helped add to the film's quirkiness.
    Gru, a criminal mastermind voiced by Steve Carrell,
    was on his way to conquering the world when he ran into three orphan girls and adopted them. Margo, Edith, and Agnes was in a home since they can remember and being adopted by anyone at this point is a joy for them. But after staying with Gru for a day, the kids were horrified. After months of teaching and nurturing, the kids were able to get Gru to be nicer. The story progress with Gru choosing between his evil plan and his kids. It is heavily borrowed from other children films, but Despicable Me stabbed at the materials at a different angle and succeeded in bringing Hollywood something new. OscarBuzz: Best Animated Feature, I has a good chance of being nominated but winning is a long shot. Expand
  32. Jan 8, 2011
    I have to say this movie touched my heart as much as it did my laugh box. Steve Carrel is hilarious and if you didn't watch the credits you probably wouldn't know it was him. The story is very creative and original and (as always) was copied a year later with Megamind. I do have a hard time understanding some of those negative reviews though.
  33. Jan 9, 2011
    A fun movie with sweet story and plenty of laughs. The characters were great - the bad guy just bad enough to still be likable and Vector enough of a weeny to be annoying. Definitely recommend.
  34. Jan 14, 2011
    One thing about certain good movies is that they are empty of stereotypes or they are exaggerated to a point that they become funny. And Despicable Me had both of these. The fact that such an original movie could come from Dreamworks was very surprising but nevertheless, it was a brilliantly funny, entertaining and an original film suitable for all ages.
  35. Jan 23, 2011
    One of the best Animated films of 2010, way better than Toy Story 3 or How to Train Your Dragon. Lots of emotion make a grown man want to cry. This movie deserves a Oscar.
  36. Feb 2, 2011
    It's been a good year for animation! While "Despicable Me" is pretty predictable and doesn't compare to "Toy Story 3" in terms of comedy or quality, it's witty, funny, and addresses some emotional topics. It doesn't really push any boundaries, but it doesn't spit out the same old humor like a lot of kids' movies do these days. In the end, it turns out to be a very funny, original, well-made movie that is a must see for any family, or just someone looking for some good entertainment. Expand
  37. Feb 6, 2011
    This is a great example of a film for any age, the humour is grown up enough in places for young adults and parents, the animation is fantastic and the characters are very cute. I'd say this is on a par with Megamind for older viewers, but this just sneaks an 8 as it's better for kids. DVD Rental: Yeah why not, with the mates or with the kids
  38. Feb 8, 2011
    Despicable Me is one of the best animated movies i've seen, the characters are enjoyable, and it has a touching redemption story, it's hilarious and moving, this is a movie i would highly recommend seeing, it has what all movies need a touching story with crude humor, my only complaint is that it starts off slow, but ultimately unfolds into one of the best movies i've ever seen.
  39. Feb 23, 2011
    You fall in love with him, his minions and the three orphan girls....absurd and v v v funny! Blue Sky Creative are offering a FREE copy with a years hosting! http://blue-sky-creative.com/
  40. Feb 24, 2011
    Wonderful film we watched for "family night" with my 7 yr old son.
    It was entertaining and funny.
    It kept the adults interested as well as the kids.
  41. Mar 20, 2011
    Despicable is yet another brilliant, heartfelt, and most of all, hilarious animated comedy for us to sink our teeth into this year. I thought to myself at the end of the movie that it felt a lot like The Grinch. So I dubbed it, "How The Gru Stole The Moon". That's pretty creative huh? I thought so...Anyway, this is a fantastic film. It's obviously marketed for children, but like so many other films in its genre, there's plenty of material here to keep the adults happy. I laughed out loud more at this one, than I have in a very long time. A lot more than I did at the stupid MacGruber movie, and trust me, I laughed my ass off at MacGruber. The voicework is terrific. I love Steve Carrell (The 40-Year-Old Virgin, The Office). I love Jason Segal (I Love You Man, Forgetting Sarah Marshall) just as much. I love Russell Brand (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Get Him To The Greek) and I love Kristen Wiig (Adventureland, MacGruber). As you can see, I had high expectations for this ensemble of hilarious comedians going in. They didn't disappoint. Steve Carrell's choice of accent may annoy some, but it did not bother me in the lightest. The think this movie had a very good script as well. The dialogue, the pacing, everything was well written. The editing is perfect. It does start off a tiny bit slow, but still not dull. It's funny all the way throughout. The music was great as well. Rapper/Producer/N.E.R.D. lead Pharrell Williams did the music, and it was excellent. Nice mix of a variety of music genres, all toned together perfectly. There are plenty of winning concept in the film. I mentioned that it reminded me of The Grinch, but it was still very creative. It was a lot better than that stupid Megamind movie is going to be. Why are Universal and DreamWorks releasing FOUR movies in the same year anyway?! Are they still married? I don't know, but if so, I guess they're trying to stay relevant so that Toy Story 3 doesn't easily destroy their line-up when Oscar season comes. Sadly, it will anyway. I say sadly because I'm one of the few who liked How To Train Your Dragon a little more than Toy Story 3. Back to this movie. There were some things I had a little trouble coping with. The main thing is, and this may sound stupid because it's a cartoon, but I had a little trouble coping with the obvious and complete lack of realism. This movie felt too much like an episode of The Looney Toons, with sharks eating Gru, and a dozen missles hitting him in the face, yet he walks away unscathed. Even so, I think it's great. The show stealers by far are the minions. I loved the minions so much. They never ceased to make me smile, crack up, or flat out bust out with laughter. They were awesome. Easily the best thing about the movie, which means a lot. I also liked the little girl, Agnes. She was cute, and actually a strong character. So, I highly recommend this movie to anyone, and everyone. Young or old. Hopefully Despicable Me will not be forgotten in the shadow of Toy Story 3. Expand
  42. Mar 20, 2011
    well out of all theese family CGI films ive seen this one is prolly down on the bottom of my list. its not bad bujt its not great eather . i found it to be just ok and thats about it . the only decent comedy comes out of the little minions .
  43. May 12, 2013
    “Despicable Me” is a movie that promised to be funny and it was. The characters were funny and the writing was very well done. The film also made good use of the 3-D using it to enhance the experience rather than create it. This is one movie that is worth checking out. Even if you don’t love it like I did you won’t be able to resist laughing from time to time at some of the film’s stupidest moments. If you don’t take the movie too seriously and just laugh a little you’ll find that “Despicable Me” is fine movie that couldn’t have been done any differently. Expand
  44. Apr 2, 2011
    Gru may be Despicable, but this film certainly isn't The story of Gru and his adopting the kids may seem predictable or cheesy, but it manages to hit the right notes of your heart. I especially like how they manage to make him not suddenly become a true dad, but develop over it, especially in the super fun theme park, as shown when the daughters try to win a carnival game. There are some funny jokes here that the kids won't get, one pick is "BANK OF EVIL: formerly Lehman Brothers", but its nice to see they don't try to make all the jokes that kids will get with fart gags and such, they craft a good storyline thats humourous and heart warming. For me, there is one component which made this film utterly brilliant and would make a brilliant film of their own: The Minions! These yellow creatures may seem annoying to some, but to me, they were utterly hilarious and so cute. They light up any scene they're in and the mini-movies they star in on the DVD are utterly hilarious and something brilliant. They're tied with Toy Story's aliens for favourite animation character. If you enjoyed Pixars various movies, then trust me, you'll definately enjoy Despicable Me. Expand
  45. Apr 7, 2011
    A fun movie with a good story, and some witty dialogue by Steve Carrell. Although, there weren't as many laughs as I thought there would be (I blame it on the television commercials).
  46. Apr 16, 2011
    Long story short, I enjoyed the movie.
  47. Jul 1, 2011
    Summer 2010 was a time filled with sweet seasonal treats, especially amongst animated features. "Toy Story 3" hit theatres a month earlier than "Despicable Me", and was quickly deemed the best animated film of the summer, and quite possibly the year. I had undoubtedly agreed with the previously mentioned statement- until I visited my local movie theatre one afternoon in July to see "Despicable Me". The film, which features the voice talents of Steve Carell and Miranda Cosgrove (to name a few), was charming, moving and, possibly most importantly, hilarious for all audiences. I found myself laughing out loud on numerous occasions, as well as stifling back a tear or two at other times. The film is centered around a less-than-superb villain who, in order to complete a ruse to infiltrate his enemy's lair and steal the moon, adopts three orphaned and unmeasurably adorable sisters. With little experience in the paternal field and a strong background in being a misanthropic antagonist, comedy ensues as the girls completely rearrange his life. Looking for a feel-good film with heart, adventure and laughs? Look no further- you've found "Despicable Me". Expand
  48. Jul 5, 2011
    Great, humorous, movie..a film designed to get old and young to laugh..great, clean humor and an interesting storyline,plus memorable characters( including the Minions) make this a one-of-a kind move!!!
  49. Jul 20, 2011
    A colourful and enchanting animation it certainly is, but it's nowhere near the quality of animation giants like Pixar. Not only this, but it's very forgettable and nothing special. Once in the cinema, yes, it's a nice treat. Twice...no. DVD... definitely no...
  50. Jul 26, 2011
    Pretty darn brilliant! I greatly enjoyed this film, with Carell dishing out superb voice talent. It struggles to get off the ground initially, but it takes off after 10 mins or so. This story is so funny and the supporting characters really light up the screen, in particular the three little girls along with the hilariously slapstick minions. Then, suddenly, the film's emotional fist slugs you right in the gut, full force, and this "evil" comedy quickly turns to an unconditional, parental-love story. Expand
  51. CRL
    Sep 5, 2011
    Despicable Me is a sometimes predictable yet hilarious piece of cinema with stellar voice acting, a laugh-inducing script, and some of the best animation this side of PIxar.
  52. Sep 25, 2011
    Despicable Me has some genuine humour and the animators look like they had fun making it. The characters and movie moments are fun and will have kids and some adults giggling throughout. The story does lack some weight as it ends up being a standard predicable story - something we have seen too many times before and may leave some adults wanting more, but what we have here is fun nonetheless. Recommended for kids.â Expand
  53. Oct 18, 2011
    This movie is a great family movie, and it could have nearly managed an 8. The animation is superb and the storyline was surprisingly good. The voices were played well, and the plot of it was good. There is a few messages that the movie may give out to children, (good ones) though. It's funny, random but really good fun!
  54. Nov 3, 2011
    Absolutely shocked me! This is a 3D animation with a change in direction! Completely fresh take on this form of entertainment, and i have yet to even see it in 3D! Story was incredibly original, super cute characters! Graphics are jaw-dropping, and given that this isn't a Pixar production, it has the kind of creative freedom to be as out there as need be! With no name to live up to --and no expectation-- a masterpiece is born. Expand
  55. Nov 6, 2011
    Despicable Me has some great characters. It is mildly funny, smart, and has a great balance between its humor and story. The result is a solid animated film.
  56. Nov 9, 2011
    DESPICABLE ME is a fun and family friendly kiddie film for all ages. Steve Carrell does a great job at his role and the film is filled with laugh out loud moments.
  57. Dec 29, 2011
    THE ABSOLUTE CUTEST MOVIE. Being grown and mature, very few cartoons and childish movies touch home base for me. This movie's ending summed up all lose ends brought forth in the beginning of the movie and everything was just SO DAMN CUTE. The minions, oh my goodness, I need one. Very heartwarming and cute storyline and characters - DEFINITELY WORTH WATCHING, whatever age group you may fit into.
  58. Jan 21, 2012
    (5.5 is more accurate) This is a solid animated feature and not too much else. If you got kids you like to watch movies with, this is a suitable number. The frame-shifted world of evil villains living amongst us in our suburbs, relatively civilly half the time, is an entertaining slant to enjoy. The main villain and character is a charming enough rendition of a curmudgeon with ambition. (Although, honestly, I think Steve Carrellâ Expand
  59. Feb 6, 2012
    Solid and good animated movie with a nice plot and so much fun with these little yellow ... does someone know how they're called?! Anyway definately worth it !
  60. Mar 3, 2012
    A new hit! Despicable Me is an awesome animated film, the characters are really funny, the voices are really incredible, and claps for the Minions, wow, be like the Rabbids on Rayman, Despicable is a great classic. I love it.
  61. Apr 1, 2012
    First off, I would give this a 9.25 out of 10. Animation is good. Story real good. Can be funny sometimes. Acting and score is good. Steve carrel does good. Overall, this is a good movie that you and your family should see.
  62. Apr 5, 2012
    This movie is absolutely brilliant. The animation is top-notch, the characters are lovable and memorable, and the jokes are bound to have both kids and parents on the floor laughing. It probably won't bring tears to your eyes like Pixar/Disney movies do, but it's still very touching and heart-warming and it will definitely give you a warm, fuzzy feeling. 9/10.
  63. Apr 9, 2012
    Despicable Me was not disappointing at all. The characters were great and the movie overall was entertaining. What made me start to track my opinion down was that I got a feeling that the movie showed cliche during the second half, which is a huge pet peeve of mine. The idea of a villain as a main character was awesome, but they could have taken it further. It felt like it was wrapped up too quickly or in the wrong way. Despite this, I recommend this movie to anyone at any age. Expand
  64. Jun 24, 2012
    Pretty interesting story with humorous jokes and nods toward popular culture that the kids wouldn't necessarily get, but the parents that are dragged in will enjoy. The story will tug at your heart strings just a little bit. Well...maybe it will nibble if even that much. I mean, if you're into the whole predictable plot and sappy story. It's a moderately enjoyable film to sit through; not too long, will give you a few laughs, and a better look toward your life's priorities. Give it a bit of a chance. Expand
  65. Dec 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's quite good actually. I liked all of it, and I realized near the end that the moon was too big. And with the second one coming out soon, I cant wait for it! Expand
  66. Jan 5, 2013
    Muy original. A los que nos gustan los superhéroes también nos gustan los villanos, y más cuando los villanos no lo son tanto. Buenísimos personajes, muy entretenida, buen guión y diálogos. A la vez tierna. Sería fantástica una serie animada derivada para sacar más provecho de los minions.
  67. Feb 21, 2013
    Love the movies very much. It's has a lot of funny scene. Ana there are many family touching moment like the Gru's love of 3 daughter
  68. Mar 27, 2013
    Why am I only just seeing this movie? It was fantastic for what it was. The 3 little girls were absolutely precious and the movie was generally heartwarming. The minions were adorable as well and always made me giggle. It isn't Pixar, but it made me smile and that's what it was going for. I think this movie did it's job very well and I loved it!
  69. Apr 5, 2013
    I got to say that there was something about this movie I just found utterly charming. It's not brilliant, but I would say that it is pretty good. Carrel & Segel are both utterly hilarious with almost everything they do. The Minions are just priceless. They could easily do a who movie, focused solely on them. Where this movie suffers is perhaps that there is very little story to it. It feels more like a whole lot of comedic sketches put together. But that'S not to bad as it does give it a bit of a relaxed feel. Nice to have a movie that seems to just want to have fun without too much "bay-ness" to it.

Overall: Despicable Me is just a charming and fun movie that is meant to be taken leisurely. Well worth the watch.
  70. Jun 7, 2013
    Despite its best efforts Despicable Me is never quite as funny, particularly for adults, as the very best of the computer animated genre, an honour which for me still belongs to Toy Story. Thanks to some excellent voiceover performances and plenty of sight gags however it certainly entertaining enough to make for a decent watch and children will love the little green minions.
  71. Jun 16, 2013
    Pros: Despicable me is a fun movie, it's very good for kids or maybe teens. The minions are really funny, I wish they have more screen time. Even that it is still a fun movie for all ages not just kids.

Cons: Some jokes are corny but only few of them.
  72. Jun 24, 2013
    Good film, enjoyable and all, but I just can't join the hype with everyone else. It's funny and I like the characters but there are so many similarities to other films, mostly Pixar, that you can't help but notice. It's also really aimed at the kiddies and it gives less for adults or big kids at heart to enjoy. There is enough going on to hold your interest and the minions provide a lot of the laughs along with Agnes, but at the end of the day there are better films like it out there. Expand
  73. Jun 29, 2013
    Despicable Me is much, much better than I expected it to be, as the adverts and trailers didn't exactly do a good job promoting it... Despicable Me isn't exactly hilarious, but nonetheless is very funny, it has a lot of jokes, most of them being pretty funny, but some of them really make you laugh. The comedy flows well with the story, a fairly simple one, but interesting and kinda moving, this is typical, but great for an animated kids/family film. Despicable Me definitely has a lot of things going for it, including the minions, now they are funny gibberish speaking yellow things with glasses! The animation in this film is charming and stylized. The action in this film is something that happens quite a lot, being comedic, 'in your face' and, well, action-y (that's a good thing). Well, to conclude: Despicable Me is a charming, funny, innovative, action filled movie with a moving story! So I give this movie a... 8.5/10! Expand
  74. Jul 4, 2013
    Before reviewing this movie, and even though I have watched this before, I only clearly remembered Gru's voice and the minions, which left a bad impression considering that I couldn't remember most of what happened in the original movie. After watching the movie, I somewhat understood why. While "Despicable Me" has some charm, funny minions, and wonder voice work from Steve Carell, it still has issues with so much visual effect that it leaves a slightly negative impression. "Despicable Me" is not refined as the best animated fare and has an interesting theme on bad guy's, but doesn't do anything to us but laugh (and that's fine). "Despicable Me" is just average, but that's fine considering it does have hilarious moments that we will probably see again in "Despicable Me 2". Expand
  75. Jul 15, 2013
    La historia guarda un buen mensaje sin embargo mi villano favorito es una completa basura que lamento recordar buenos personajes tiernos pero completamente ridiculos.
  76. Aug 6, 2013
    Despicable Me es muy entretenida, pero no para toda la gente. Ademas es algo cerrada de ambiente, debía tener un ambiente mas abierto. Que te hiciera sentir la sensación de un mundo en una pantalla. Pero aun así contiene una cierta cantidad de carcajadas con algunas sorpresas propias que en mi opinión la vuelven una película "Buena".
  77. Aug 16, 2013
    A smart and heartfelt story that doesn't just rely on quick laughs. A wide range of characters that vary between sweet, evil, and just pure fun. One of the few good animation movies that didn't come out of either Pixar or Dreamworks. It was great to see.
  78. Sep 9, 2013
    If you only watch a movie for one part or character then the rest of the film is irrelevant. Despicable Me is only enjoyed because of the minions who are quite funny but provide immature and slapstick humor.
  79. Sep 27, 2013
    Gru's gadgets and persona are one thing, but this movie should be retitled "Disposable Me", because everything in this movie is cliché, recycled from other films and/or trash.
  80. Nov 15, 2013
    Incredibly imaginative and it has a special individuality to it, 'Despicable Me' has plenty of heart (not as much as Toy Story) and plenty of raucous laughs from the cute and crazed minions.
  81. Nov 17, 2013
    Despicable Me is despicably entertaining.
    An interesting concept mixed with great dialogue, and a clever script. Despicably Me shows moments of heartwarming laughter and comic evil explosives.
  82. Mar 4, 2014
    One of the worst opening theme musics I've ever heard, so that didn't set a good first impression with me. Comedy is too juvenile for my liking. Kids would no doubt love it, but there still needs to be more for the more mature for it to better rounded. Story isn't great and seems to be handled a little sloppily, voice acting is meh and I didn't feel much for the emotive content. Nothing new for me really. Expand
  83. Mar 8, 2014
    See, if I did not know which company produced this movie, I would have thought it was Pixar. This fun movie is sweet and touching at times, and filled with hilarious surprises throughout.
  84. Mar 30, 2014
    i seen this movie way too many times . but its okay movie and its 55 % enjoyable . but hello people its 2014 forget this animation film . this film is old . watch good and a 2014 favorite movie . Grade C
  85. Apr 8, 2014
    For great despicable me online games, visit: despicable-me-games.net/ . You can find various despicable me games, minion games, despicable me 2 hidden objects games etc.
  86. Apr 15, 2014
    Very original, fun and interesting animation! It would've been better if it was a bit more dramatic and less fantastic... Overall i highly recommend this to everyone!
  87. Jul 29, 2014
    "Despicable Me" is not ambitious. It is not a film you expect to be touched from, but it does succeed in being exceptionally amusing and heartwarming. With a simple but emotionally successful plot and some funny sequences, it deserves to be a genre classic, nowhere near Toy Story, though.
  88. Jul 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first time I watch this film was when it was released on an American paid TV over a year ago. I missed it on theatres because that year wasn't really a good year for me but guess what? I liked it instantaneously, literally glued to the LED TV and I knew I had to watch the next one on theatres! (Which I did)

If you watch this, you will be surprised to find out that this notorious film is not that bad after all. The cast of characters are all equally, unusually adorable and silly funny. Due to that, I was torn between choosing Gru, Gru's mother Marlena and Agnes as my favorite character to write about it on my blog but seriously most of the characters in this film, they are all so adorable that I am going to die!

(Yes, that is a reference to Agnes. If you are totally clueless; go watch Despicable Me - Clip: "It's So Fluffy" on Youtube, which is uploaded by Illumination Entertainment themselves. *Cuteness alert!*)

1. A rousingly funny, heartfelt and imaginative 'toon blessed with the vocal talents of Steve Carell and loaded with whimsy and smarts.
  2. Another 3-D animated kid movie demonstrates that cartoon storytelling pitched to young people is the last, best refuge of sprightly filmmaking this hard, hot summer.
  3. Despicable doesn't measure up to Pixar at its best. Nonetheless, it's funny, clever and warmly animated with memorable characters.