7.6

1. Feb 12, 2012
    Despicable Me has dazzling animation, lots of laughs, originality, cute little characters (the minions), and just a heartwarming story , backed by solid voice acting make for an ideal family film. I give this movie 89%.
  2. Aug 27, 2010
    A funny, family-orientated film that really goes into depth about adoption and, thatâ
  3. May 16, 2013
    Despicable Me deals in the absurd and comes out winning on every level. Why is it that the villains of a film also make for more memorable and worthwhile characters? This is pretty much what the film surrounds itself with, all these villains attempting to outdo each other by becoming the greatest villain ever known.
    Steve Carell voices Gru, an evil mastermind who isn't feeling quite as
    evil these days, someone has stolen the Great Pyramid, and is now considered the greatest villain in the world, much to the dismay of Gru.
    The thief in question is Vector (Jason Segel) who seems like an accidental villain, simple minded and naive. but with the typical evil lair that is just too funny to ignore, sharks, missiles and hidden rooms, the film is rich with cliche but knows that it is, making it that much more enjoyable.
    Gru aims to better the pyramid raid by stealing the moon, thats right, the moon. With the help of his trusted mad scientist Dr. Nefario (Russell Brand) and his hilarious minions called the, er.. Minions, he hatches a plan to finally be called the best.
    But when he must infiltrate Vectors lair to retrieve a sonic ray that reduces the size of any object, he is upstaged by all the gadgets on show, so he adopts three orphan girls so as he can get them to deliver robot cookies to the house so as he can move forward with his plan. But who knew he was going to pick the most loveable and funniest of the bunch.
    Agnes is the smallest of the trio, and by far the funniest, she sees and believes things that the others don't, and truly sees a father figure in Gru.
    It's difficult for a fresh comedy to come in and leave a lasting impression without falling into the same routine of previous attempts, but the film manages to take a very popular and gestated idea and basically poke fun at its own absurdity, and that is where the true laughter lies in this film, the fast-paced animation we are used to seeing in a Pixar film are present here, mixed with a perfect variation of characters and a brilliant voice cast that also includes Julie Andrews and Will Arnett.
    A truly funny and original film has been created with Despicable Me, it has the absurdity and laughter of a one-liner comedy but the heart and assurance of a Pixar classic, without being a Pixar film.
  4. BKL
    Aug 13, 2010
    This is a Great movie. I myself saw it the day it was released. And loved it. The minions are the funniest characters of the movie. They just do the silliest of things.
  5. Sep 4, 2010
    Never in my life have I found an appropriate time to use the word "cute". There is no way to describe this movie without including the C word. I'm 20 years old and I throughly enjoy this movie. The 3D was unecessary but I didn't mind spending a little extra to see probably one of my favorite movies this summer (close race with Inception. Opposite ends of the movie spectrum am I right?)
  6. Sep 5, 2010
    Charming movie - I was really not expecting this.

I suppose, as they say, "the minions make it!" Yes, but it's also "period" - "Golden Spy Era" setting and humor, and I always loved that.

It's not predictable - something else to love. It's not (as you will say I often say!) a great film, but it is a very ENTERTAINING film, and it's VERY ENJOYABLE. Quite a surprise. Go in with no
    expectations and you will come out HIGHLY satisfied! Expand
  7. Oct 30, 2010
    Movie was pretty interesting and funny. One of the most funny characters is Minions, dumb, hearty, and good-looking. Nice story. Funny jokes. It was funny to watch how bad guy became good one.
  8. Apr 2, 2011
    Gru may be Despicable, but this film certainly isn't The story of Gru and his adopting the kids may seem predictable or cheesy, but it manages to hit the right notes of your heart. I especially like how they manage to make him not suddenly become a true dad, but develop over it, especially in the super fun theme park, as shown when the daughters try to win a carnival game. There are some funny jokes here that the kids won't get, one pick is "BANK OF EVIL: formerly Lehman Brothers", but its nice to see they don't try to make all the jokes that kids will get with fart gags and such, they craft a good storyline thats humourous and heart warming. For me, there is one component which made this film utterly brilliant and would make a brilliant film of their own: The Minions! These yellow creatures may seem annoying to some, but to me, they were utterly hilarious and so cute. They light up any scene they're in and the mini-movies they star in on the DVD are utterly hilarious and something brilliant. They're tied with Toy Story's aliens for favourite animation character. If you enjoyed Pixars various movies, then trust me, you'll definately enjoy Despicable Me. Expand
  9. Jan 8, 2011
    I have to say this movie touched my heart as much as it did my laugh box. Steve Carrel is hilarious and if you didn't watch the credits you probably wouldn't know it was him. The story is very creative and original and (as always) was copied a year later with Megamind. I do have a hard time understanding some of those negative reviews though.
  10. Nov 13, 2010
    Great movie, forget the bad reviews! This video is worth seeing, no matter how old you are. This movie is way better than Toy Story 3! Meet Vector, Gru, and the kids for a thrill-packed ride! Believe me, it's awesome!
  11. Jan 14, 2011
    One thing about certain good movies is that they are empty of stereotypes or they are exaggerated to a point that they become funny. And Despicable Me had both of these. The fact that such an original movie could come from Dreamworks was very surprising but nevertheless, it was a brilliantly funny, entertaining and an original film suitable for all ages.
  12. Feb 8, 2011
    Despicable Me is one of the best animated movies i've seen, the characters are enjoyable, and it has a touching redemption story, it's hilarious and moving, this is a movie i would highly recommend seeing, it has what all movies need a touching story with crude humor, my only complaint is that it starts off slow, but ultimately unfolds into one of the best movies i've ever seen.
  13. Jan 23, 2011
    One of the best Animated films of 2010, way better than Toy Story 3 or How to Train Your Dragon. Lots of emotion make a grown man want to cry. This movie deserves a Oscar.
  14. Feb 24, 2011
    Wonderful film we watched for "family night" with my 7 yr old son.
    It was entertaining and funny.
    It kept the adults interested as well as the kids.
  15. Jul 26, 2011
    Pretty darn brilliant! I greatly enjoyed this film, with Carell dishing out superb voice talent. It struggles to get off the ground initially, but it takes off after 10 mins or so. This story is so funny and the supporting characters really light up the screen, in particular the three little girls along with the hilariously slapstick minions. Then, suddenly, the film's emotional fist slugs you right in the gut, full force, and this "evil" comedy quickly turns to an unconditional, parental-love story. Expand
  16. Jul 1, 2011
    Summer 2010 was a time filled with sweet seasonal treats, especially amongst animated features. "Toy Story 3" hit theatres a month earlier than "Despicable Me", and was quickly deemed the best animated film of the summer, and quite possibly the year. I had undoubtedly agreed with the previously mentioned statement- until I visited my local movie theatre one afternoon in July to see "Despicable Me". The film, which features the voice talents of Steve Carell and Miranda Cosgrove (to name a few), was charming, moving and, possibly most importantly, hilarious for all audiences. I found myself laughing out loud on numerous occasions, as well as stifling back a tear or two at other times. The film is centered around a less-than-superb villain who, in order to complete a ruse to infiltrate his enemy's lair and steal the moon, adopts three orphaned and unmeasurably adorable sisters. With little experience in the paternal field and a strong background in being a misanthropic antagonist, comedy ensues as the girls completely rearrange his life. Looking for a feel-good film with heart, adventure and laughs? Look no further- you've found "Despicable Me". Expand
  17. Nov 3, 2011
    Absolutely shocked me! This is a 3D animation with a change in direction! Completely fresh take on this form of entertainment, and i have yet to even see it in 3D! Story was incredibly original, super cute characters! Graphics are jaw-dropping, and given that this isn't a Pixar production, it has the kind of creative freedom to be as out there as need be! With no name to live up to --and no expectation-- a masterpiece is born. Expand
  18. Dec 29, 2011
    THE ABSOLUTE CUTEST MOVIE. Being grown and mature, very few cartoons and childish movies touch home base for me. This movie's ending summed up all lose ends brought forth in the beginning of the movie and everything was just SO DAMN CUTE. The minions, oh my goodness, I need one. Very heartwarming and cute storyline and characters - DEFINITELY WORTH WATCHING, whatever age group you may fit into.
  19. Mar 3, 2012
    A new hit! Despicable Me is an awesome animated film, the characters are really funny, the voices are really incredible, and claps for the Minions, wow, be like the Rabbids on Rayman, Despicable is a great classic. I love it.
  20. Apr 5, 2012
    This movie is absolutely brilliant. The animation is top-notch, the characters are lovable and memorable, and the jokes are bound to have both kids and parents on the floor laughing. It probably won't bring tears to your eyes like Pixar/Disney movies do, but it's still very touching and heart-warming and it will definitely give you a warm, fuzzy feeling. 9/10.
  21. Apr 1, 2012
    First off, I would give this a 9.25 out of 10. Animation is good. Story real good. Can be funny sometimes. Acting and score is good. Steve carrel does good. Overall, this is a good movie that you and your family should see.
  22. Jan 5, 2013
    Muy original. A los que nos gustan los superhéroes también nos gustan los villanos, y más cuando los villanos no lo son tanto. Buenísimos personajes, muy entretenida, buen guión y diálogos. A la vez tierna. Sería fantástica una serie animada derivada para sacar más provecho de los minions.
  23. Dec 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's quite good actually. I liked all of it, and I realized near the end that the moon was too big. And with the second one coming out soon, I cant wait for it! Expand
  24. Feb 21, 2013
    Love the movies very much. It's has a lot of funny scene. Ana there are many family touching moment like the Gru's love of 3 daughter
  25. Jun 16, 2013
    Pros: Despicable me is a fun movie, it's very good for kids or maybe teens. The minions are really funny, I wish they have more screen time. Even that it is still a fun movie for all ages not just kids.

Cons: Some jokes are corny but only few of them.

1. A rousingly funny, heartfelt and imaginative 'toon blessed with the vocal talents of Steve Carell and loaded with whimsy and smarts.
  2. Another 3-D animated kid movie demonstrates that cartoon storytelling pitched to young people is the last, best refuge of sprightly filmmaking this hard, hot summer.
  3. Despicable doesn't measure up to Pixar at its best. Nonetheless, it's funny, clever and warmly animated with memorable characters.