Universal Pictures | Release Date: July 9, 2010
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 557 Ratings
Watch Now
vetorAug 7, 2017
Despicable Me is a fun animation with a subtle message of family and values, cute characters like the minions and the lovely Agnes and beyond all a brilliant work of dubbing by Steve Carell.
superbatJul 9, 2016
A decent animated film. Great character development, decent storyline and intense action sequences. Despicable Me has everything a decent animated movie should have.
DelWolfJul 3, 2017
Okay, Despicable Me is a decent movie, but we already knew that. In fact I won't be the first you've heard this from. Either you've seen this movie or you never had an intent on seeing it in the first place, so I decided to dedicated thisOkay, Despicable Me is a decent movie, but we already knew that. In fact I won't be the first you've heard this from. Either you've seen this movie or you never had an intent on seeing it in the first place, so I decided to dedicated this review to Illumination, and my dissatisfaction with what they are doing. At least with Disney, Dreamworks and Pixar, they all make great movies now and then, and clearly try to make a worthwhile piece of entertainment (most of the time). But apart from this, their first film, their movies have always ranged from unforgivable trash such as 'Hop' or utter mediocrity such as 'Sing'. Their Minions movie wasn't enjoyed by many, many audience members, but it made over $1,000,000,000 at the box office, and people still continue to watch their bellow-average content. Well done, people. Their hopes lie in the gullible audience and naive children that continue to give them money, and no matter how bad their movies turn out to be, the cycle will repeat, resulting in a gold mine for Illumination. None of their movies have failed financially, nor been good enough to barely pass a 7/10 on average from critics. And I am aware that ALL companies have a big priority of making money, but it's not normally to this extent, and I fear if this continues then soon enough every animated movie will be just as forgettable and bland as the ones this company churns out. They know what will make them money, and what their main audience wants. Illumination movies never make me feel anything. Just...eh. No sadness, no anger, no joy, just...eh. I know I'm probably overreacting and treating this like the worst thing ever, but I basically want to say that a movie should make you feel something. If you give something a 10/10, think about other films like 'Up' and 'Toy Story' and 'How to Train Your Dragon', and look back at Illumination's movies. They won't shape you as a person, like those films did. They won't make you feel anything, or shed a tear, like 'Toy Story 3', 'Up' and 'How to Train Your Dragon 2' did. they just pander to little children and their parents. But that's not what a movie should be, not even a kids' movie. It should make you emotional, be memorable. So look back at 'The Secret Life of Pets' and 'Minions' and realise that Illumination just aren't on par with companies like Pixar. Not at all. I'll shut up now, while we wait for the next bland piece of tofu/disgusting tripe Illumination throws at us. Expand
MarioGamesJul 3, 2017
I like this IS FuNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNY! And the the minions appariton is there. Check this movie to laugh. This is one of the best moviesi ever see!
CriticFerJun 30, 2017
I was surprised when this movie came out. Even when the animation is kinda old, the story and script are the many reason of why this work. The humor has really memorable moments and hilarious scenes, the characters are great and the PharrellI was surprised when this movie came out. Even when the animation is kinda old, the story and script are the many reason of why this work. The humor has really memorable moments and hilarious scenes, the characters are great and the Pharrell Williams and emotional moments shins everywhere. I really like this movie because i watch it like 1000 times. this is great for everyone. Expand
MonkiReviewsMay 28, 2017
I loved the characters and the story. Gru is of course, the best villain because he isn't all bad! The minions of course add more humor to it. I enjoyed the movie even if it had some small faults.
spongeswiftMar 31, 2017
Despicable Me was genius. The beginning wasn't amazing but by the end I walked out of the theater liking it. Yes it may not have been Oscar quality, but it was undoubtedly hilarious for all ages. The minions were standouts but Gru was theDespicable Me was genius. The beginning wasn't amazing but by the end I walked out of the theater liking it. Yes it may not have been Oscar quality, but it was undoubtedly hilarious for all ages. The minions were standouts but Gru was the first villain in a movie you could truly like in my opinion. Overall it may not be Disney quality but it is still a good film that is worth a watch. Expand
Henry_b1Feb 17, 2017
An excellent piece of entertainment that catches the first time viewer off guard. It is full of laughs, innovative thinking and contains a great message - is there really anything to else to ask of a silm in this genre?
SomePersonaJan 27, 2017
A study of randomness in its finest craft. The characters and story here are so random, originally executed, and as a result, humorous. The characters are wonderfully out of proportion, the sets are so wonderfully caricatural, and the voiceA study of randomness in its finest craft. The characters and story here are so random, originally executed, and as a result, humorous. The characters are wonderfully out of proportion, the sets are so wonderfully caricatural, and the voice acting is wonderfully exaggerated. It's perfect. Expand
DavidTejadaDec 11, 2016
With MINIONS induction and how deep and funny the plot is. DESPICABLE ME succeed as a full package-family-entertainment. If you love fathers and daughters relationship you'll certainly fall in love with this movie. With this movie the 2010'sWith MINIONS induction and how deep and funny the plot is. DESPICABLE ME succeed as a full package-family-entertainment. If you love fathers and daughters relationship you'll certainly fall in love with this movie. With this movie the 2010's becoming a remarkable year of movies. (78%) Expand
FreedomFightersNov 26, 2016
You'd think that with this releasing three weeks after "Toy Story 3," it would get lost in the pack amidst the bigger animated competition (come to think of this, releasing this in the same summer as sequels to both "Toy Story" and "Shrek"You'd think that with this releasing three weeks after "Toy Story 3," it would get lost in the pack amidst the bigger animated competition (come to think of this, releasing this in the same summer as sequels to both "Toy Story" and "Shrek" sounds like a bad idea). And yet, "Despicable Me" became a huge success, and good for it, because it's a fantastic film. It's hilarious, features some great, memorable characters, beautiful animation and is backed by some great voice acting. Most importantly, "Despicable Me" is a ton of fun, and it's got amazing broad appeal for both children and adults. Some might disagree with me giving it such a high score, but "Despicable Me" is a fantastic animated film that you should definitely watch. Expand
Bmeyer8Jul 31, 2016
Used to be fun to watch, but ever since those Minions took things too far, with merchandise and a souless and dumb spin-off movie I am getting really sick and tired of Despicable Me. It would be nice if the Minions were never in any of theUsed to be fun to watch, but ever since those Minions took things too far, with merchandise and a souless and dumb spin-off movie I am getting really sick and tired of Despicable Me. It would be nice if the Minions were never in any of the Despicable Me movies. Expand
IAmTechJun 18, 2016
At a time when we had the likes of 'Toy Story 3' and 'How to Train Your Dragon', a time when Pixar and Dreamworks ruled supreme (Pixar winning of course), along came Illumination Entertainment and gave us this supervillain animation.

The

The plot is pretty unoriginal really, jumping on the over used superhero theme. A supervillain is getting old and rusty, losing his flare for evil, at the same time a younger new supervillain threatens his status. So he devises a plan to steal the moon, the greatest feat of supervillainy he can come up with. But in order to carry out this plan he must enlist (adopt) the help of three very young little girls.

The whole superhero concept has been popular now for quite some time and in CGI animation its no different. Along with other similar flicks such as 'The Incredibles' and 'Megamind' the whole idea is beginning to feel a little swamped I can't deny. This film mainly centres on the supervillains point of view, how he lives, his daily habits, his job being an evil mastermind etc...a nice angle that was original until later in the year when 'Megamind' came out.

At his side are an army of little yellow minions that look like old 8-bit video game characters not too dissimilar from Pac-Man. Now at first these little guys are quite amusing with their pratfalls, face slapping and general simple minded tomfoolery, but it wears thin fast. Their whole routine is the same all the way through the film and I'm sure even kids may tire of it. I'm not even sure what the hell they are suppose to be seeing as all other characters in this film are human.

I really liked the initial idea of this film and the start, I loved Gru's big Gothic house squeezed in between a line of regular houses. I liked his outrageously over sized supervillain vehicle, his little demon-like dog and the interior of his lair which was like a cross between James Bond and Hammer horror. Lots of ingenious gadgets, secret doors/trap doors etc...in a thick Gothic German expressionist-like design.

Unfortunately the film becomes way too sickly and sweet for me (yes I know its for kids mainly). After he adopts the three little girls and starts to realise he enjoys them being around, losing sight of his evilness, it just becomes quite lame frankly. The film isn't sure what it wants to be or where its going, even the humour begins to lag.

In the end all we're left with is a semi decent animated film which does look glorious no doubt, but with a plot that can't decide which route to go down. None of the characters are particularly interesting or fun, Steve Carell doesn't help make the evil Gru any more memorable and the old scientist character that works with him is dreadful!. He's actually quite scary looking I think, plus with that awful cockney accent from Brand...utter fail.

Very wishy washy kids film that struggles to keep you interested and in no way competes with the big guns. Clearly trying to be zany and full of fresh ideas but you can see its not really worked out, its not a bad film, its just rather flat and anti climatic. How on earth this film was popular I don't know, the sequel was no surprise but I just don't see the hype over this.
how_are_uApr 18, 2016
This is certainly a good movie, but those yellow motherf*ckers taking over the world completely ruined the franchise for me. I have not seen the minions movie nor do I ever plan to.
FuturedirectorApr 9, 2016
Despicable me has family message, with a family-friendly story-telling and inventive plot. Characters may be very simple, but it has an unforgettable main premise, is one of the greatest film of the year. And minions will be, of course, oneDespicable me has family message, with a family-friendly story-telling and inventive plot. Characters may be very simple, but it has an unforgettable main premise, is one of the greatest film of the year. And minions will be, of course, one of the most unforgettable characters on the cinema history since now. Expand
gameguardian21Mar 16, 2016
Despicable me is a funny, smart and loveable story. The story is about a villian named gru, and he is out to steal the moon. But to get it he must find objects, equipment, and keep his new adopted girls behave.
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: An original idea deserves credit - and when it's delivered well with buckets of laughs like this, it deserves lots. 'Dispicable me' is a lot of quirky fun where the animation style adds to the humour
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's a
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's a confusing jumble of characters who all kind of fit but feel a bit shoved in, and it wont appeal to adults like a good pixar does thanks to a lack of decent plot or sensible themes
VERDICT: A cracking animation that will appeal to kids, but it could be more interesting or exciting.
EpicLadySpongeDec 28, 2015
As enough said, Despicable Me will keep in the excitement waiting for you even when you have your next plan to see this movie again thought of. If you're thinking about seeing this, you should.
CriticaFerOct 26, 2015
La primera vez que vi el trailer no era la gran cosa hasta que vi la película en cines y me reí a carcajadas. Se ve que tienen un gran guión con una gran animación y grandes personajes y creo que Illumination studios merece seguir el caminoLa primera vez que vi el trailer no era la gran cosa hasta que vi la película en cines y me reí a carcajadas. Se ve que tienen un gran guión con una gran animación y grandes personajes y creo que Illumination studios merece seguir el camino como lo hicieron con esta. Despicable Me es muy entretenida,tiene una gran historia,personajes y merece ser vista antes de la película de Minions. Expand
emiliomiceli31Aug 6, 2015
esta pelicula es un pastel de chocolate un maravilla que merecia el ganar el oscar ya que su franquicia ha recibibido criticas positivas en general a los criticos
moviecritic_Jul 30, 2015
Amazing movie! I felt it inspirational and silly at the same time. Go buy this now, amazing. I would recommend for EVERYONE. Because this is a great movie.
MarickJul 8, 2015
One of the best animated movies of all time .
MadMaxFuryRoadJun 9, 2015
Pretty good animated family movie that is somewhat like The Incredibles. The villain was awesome and just the use of weaponry was cool. The part where Gru's boss squeezed the apple was hella creepy.
teddylukeMay 6, 2015
pretty good movie I really liked it. the charters there where some good charters the villain is ok . the minions I thought they would be annoying but they where my favorite part of the movie.
DBPirate1129Jan 11, 2015
A hilarious film that is funny for both kids and adults! It surprisingly has a great story that includes the now famous Minion characters. It's a guarantee you'll enjoy this high-quality film.
ryohjiDec 31, 2014
A really average film: the story telling is quite poor, the gags are mostly visual and not all good, it's one cliche after one another, the story's pace is way too quick (the main character suddenly change from being a "bad" anti-hero to aA really average film: the story telling is quite poor, the gags are mostly visual and not all good, it's one cliche after one another, the story's pace is way too quick (the main character suddenly change from being a "bad" anti-hero to a "good" anti-hero in a matter of 5 minutes of film) and the characters aren't developed at all. Despite that it's technically well done, though very classic in choice of shots and angles (animation shouldn't be limited by that, seriously).
If you want to see a movie about the importance of family, the notion of family family and what happens when children appear in the life of an atypical family of outcasts/anti-heroes, watch Tokyo Godfathers. It does better than this with much, much less funds.
GarfoodleDec 13, 2014
Is it bad? No. Is it great?No. If taken for what it is, its pretty enjoyable. Good animations, an original story, and perfect run-length, 1.30H. Its funny enough, I was heart-warmed a few times, and I almost cried.
f3l1p3Sep 20, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Quando vi o filme pela primeira vez,me apaixonei. Ele tem uma história bem colocada e personagens muii cativantes. Agnes,me apaixonei muito por ela. O final é emocionante. Expand
beingryanjudeSep 1, 2014
Despicable, it sure was. By simply using "cute & fluffy" antics does not automatically allow for humor. Steve Carell's vocal talents are shrouded in below-average dialogue from the script.
hayashimegumiJul 31, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first time I watch this film was when it was released on an American paid TV over a year ago. I missed it on theatres because that year wasn't really a good year for me but guess what? I liked it instantaneously, literally glued to the LED TV and I knew I had to watch the next one on theatres! (Which I did)

If you watch this, you will be surprised to find out that this notorious film is not that bad after all. The cast of characters are all equally, unusually adorable and silly funny. Due to that, I was torn between choosing Gru, Gru's mother Marlena and Agnes as my favorite character to write about it on my blog but seriously most of the characters in this film, they are all so adorable that I am going to die!

(Yes, that is a reference to Agnes. If you are totally clueless; go watch Despicable Me - Clip: "It's So Fluffy" on Youtube, which is uploaded by Illumination Entertainment themselves. *Cuteness alert!*)
SEROJApr 15, 2014
Very original, fun and interesting animation! It would've been better if it was a bit more dramatic and less fantastic... Overall i highly recommend this to everyone!
despicablemeApr 8, 2014
For great despicable me online games, visit: despicable-me-games.net/ . You can find various despicable me games, minion games, despicable me 2 hidden objects games etc.
lukechristianscMar 30, 2014
i seen this movie way too many times . but its okay movie and its 55 % enjoyable . but hello people its 2014 forget this animation film . this film is old . watch good and a 2014 favorite movie . Grade C
OfficialMar 8, 2014
See, if I did not know which company produced this movie, I would have thought it was Pixar. This fun movie is sweet and touching at times, and filled with hilarious surprises throughout.
KayakMar 4, 2014
One of the worst opening theme musics I've ever heard, so that didn't set a good first impression with me. Comedy is too juvenile for my liking. Kids would no doubt love it, but there still needs to be more for the more mature for it toOne of the worst opening theme musics I've ever heard, so that didn't set a good first impression with me. Comedy is too juvenile for my liking. Kids would no doubt love it, but there still needs to be more for the more mature for it to better rounded. Story isn't great and seems to be handled a little sloppily, voice acting is meh and I didn't feel much for the emotive content. Nothing new for me really. Expand
RayzorMooseNov 17, 2013
Despicable Me is despicably entertaining.
An interesting concept mixed with great dialogue, and a clever script. Despicably Me shows moments of heartwarming laughter and comic evil explosives.
FranzHcriticNov 15, 2013
Incredibly imaginative and it has a special individuality to it, 'Despicable Me' has plenty of heart (not as much as Toy Story) and plenty of raucous laughs from the cute and crazed minions.
MovieGuysSep 27, 2013
Gru's gadgets and persona are one thing, but this movie should be retitled "Disposable Me", because everything in this movie is cliché, recycled from other films and/or trash.
python2000Sep 9, 2013
If you only watch a movie for one part or character then the rest of the film is irrelevant. Despicable Me is only enjoyed because of the minions who are quite funny but provide immature and slapstick humor.
adhamhanyAug 16, 2013
A smart and heartfelt story that doesn't just rely on quick laughs. A wide range of characters that vary between sweet, evil, and just pure fun. One of the few good animation movies that didn't come out of either Pixar or Dreamworks. It wasA smart and heartfelt story that doesn't just rely on quick laughs. A wide range of characters that vary between sweet, evil, and just pure fun. One of the few good animation movies that didn't come out of either Pixar or Dreamworks. It was great to see. Expand
PapeadoAug 6, 2013
Despicable Me es muy entretenida, pero no para toda la gente. Ademas es algo cerrada de ambiente, debía tener un ambiente mas abierto. Que te hiciera sentir la sensación de un mundo en una pantalla. Pero aun así contiene una cierta cantidadDespicable Me es muy entretenida, pero no para toda la gente. Ademas es algo cerrada de ambiente, debía tener un ambiente mas abierto. Que te hiciera sentir la sensación de un mundo en una pantalla. Pero aun así contiene una cierta cantidad de carcajadas con algunas sorpresas propias que en mi opinión la vuelven una película "Buena". Expand
JmsbppJul 15, 2013
La historia guarda un buen mensaje sin embargo mi villano favorito es una completa basura que lamento recordar buenos personajes tiernos pero completamente ridiculos.
jeff_reviewsJul 4, 2013
Before reviewing this movie, and even though I have watched this before, I only clearly remembered Gru's voice and the minions, which left a bad impression considering that I couldn't remember most of what happened in the original movie.Before reviewing this movie, and even though I have watched this before, I only clearly remembered Gru's voice and the minions, which left a bad impression considering that I couldn't remember most of what happened in the original movie. After watching the movie, I somewhat understood why. While "Despicable Me" has some charm, funny minions, and wonder voice work from Steve Carell, it still has issues with so much visual effect that it leaves a slightly negative impression. "Despicable Me" is not refined as the best animated fare and has an interesting theme on bad guy's, but doesn't do anything to us but laugh (and that's fine). "Despicable Me" is just average, but that's fine considering it does have hilarious moments that we will probably see again in "Despicable Me 2". Expand
skyminsterJun 29, 2013
Despicable Me is much, much better than I expected it to be, as the adverts and trailers didn't exactly do a good job promoting it... Despicable Me isn't exactly hilarious, but nonetheless is very funny, it has a lot of jokes, most of themDespicable Me is much, much better than I expected it to be, as the adverts and trailers didn't exactly do a good job promoting it... Despicable Me isn't exactly hilarious, but nonetheless is very funny, it has a lot of jokes, most of them being pretty funny, but some of them really make you laugh. The comedy flows well with the story, a fairly simple one, but interesting and kinda moving, this is typical, but great for an animated kids/family film. Despicable Me definitely has a lot of things going for it, including the minions, now they are funny gibberish speaking yellow things with glasses! The animation in this film is charming and stylized. The action in this film is something that happens quite a lot, being comedic, 'in your face' and, well, action-y (that's a good thing). Well, to conclude: Despicable Me is a charming, funny, innovative, action filled movie with a moving story! So I give this movie a... 8.5/10! Expand
survivorfan989Jun 24, 2013
Good film, enjoyable and all, but I just can't join the hype with everyone else. It's funny and I like the characters but there are so many similarities to other films, mostly Pixar, that you can't help but notice. It's also really aimed atGood film, enjoyable and all, but I just can't join the hype with everyone else. It's funny and I like the characters but there are so many similarities to other films, mostly Pixar, that you can't help but notice. It's also really aimed at the kiddies and it gives less for adults or big kids at heart to enjoy. There is enough going on to hold your interest and the minions provide a lot of the laughs along with Agnes, but at the end of the day there are better films like it out there. Expand
TheSuperheroFunJun 16, 2013
Pros: Despicable me is a fun movie, it's very good for kids or maybe teens. The minions are really funny, I wish they have more screen time. Even that it is still a fun movie for all ages not just kids.

Cons: Some jokes are corny but only

Cons: Some jokes are corny but only few of them.
drlowdonJun 7, 2013
Despite its best efforts Despicable Me is never quite as funny, particularly for adults, as the very best of the computer animated genre, an honour which for me still belongs to Toy Story. Thanks to some excellent voiceover performances andDespite its best efforts Despicable Me is never quite as funny, particularly for adults, as the very best of the computer animated genre, an honour which for me still belongs to Toy Story. Thanks to some excellent voiceover performances and plenty of sight gags however it certainly entertaining enough to make for a decent watch and children will love the little green minions. Expand
StevenFMay 16, 2013
Despicable Me deals in the absurd and comes out winning on every level. Why is it that the villains of a film also make for more memorable and worthwhile characters? This is pretty much what the film surrounds itself with, all these villainsDespicable Me deals in the absurd and comes out winning on every level. Why is it that the villains of a film also make for more memorable and worthwhile characters? This is pretty much what the film surrounds itself with, all these villains attempting to outdo each other by becoming the greatest villain ever known.
Steve Carell voices Gru, an evil mastermind who isn't feeling quite as evil these days, someone has stolen the Great Pyramid, and is now considered the greatest villain in the world, much to the dismay of Gru.
The thief in question is Vector (Jason Segel) who seems like an accidental villain, simple minded and naive. but with the typical evil lair that is just too funny to ignore, sharks, missiles and hidden rooms, the film is rich with cliche but knows that it is, making it that much more enjoyable.
Gru aims to better the pyramid raid by stealing the moon, thats right, the moon. With the help of his trusted mad scientist Dr. Nefario (Russell Brand) and his hilarious minions called the, er.. Minions, he hatches a plan to finally be called the best.
But when he must infiltrate Vectors lair to retrieve a sonic ray that reduces the size of any object, he is upstaged by all the gadgets on show, so he adopts three orphan girls so as he can get them to deliver robot cookies to the house so as he can move forward with his plan. But who knew he was going to pick the most loveable and funniest of the bunch.
Agnes is the smallest of the trio, and by far the funniest, she sees and believes things that the others don't, and truly sees a father figure in Gru.
It's difficult for a fresh comedy to come in and leave a lasting impression without falling into the same routine of previous attempts, but the film manages to take a very popular and gestated idea and basically poke fun at its own absurdity, and that is where the true laughter lies in this film, the fast-paced animation we are used to seeing in a Pixar film are present here, mixed with a perfect variation of characters and a brilliant voice cast that also includes Julie Andrews and Will Arnett.
A truly funny and original film has been created with Despicable Me, it has the absurdity and laughter of a one-liner comedy but the heart and assurance of a Pixar classic, without being a Pixar film.
JacobMay 12, 2013
“Despicable Me” is a movie that promised to be funny and it was. The characters were funny and the writing was very well done. The film also made good use of the 3-D using it to enhance the experience rather than create it. This is one movie“Despicable Me” is a movie that promised to be funny and it was. The characters were funny and the writing was very well done. The film also made good use of the 3-D using it to enhance the experience rather than create it. This is one movie that is worth checking out. Even if you don’t love it like I did you won’t be able to resist laughing from time to time at some of the film’s stupidest moments. If you don’t take the movie too seriously and just laugh a little you’ll find that “Despicable Me” is fine movie that couldn’t have been done any differently. Expand
Rox22Apr 5, 2013
I got to say that there was something about this movie I just found utterly charming. It's not brilliant, but I would say that it is pretty good. Carrel & Segel are both utterly hilarious with almost everything they do. The Minions are justI got to say that there was something about this movie I just found utterly charming. It's not brilliant, but I would say that it is pretty good. Carrel & Segel are both utterly hilarious with almost everything they do. The Minions are just priceless. They could easily do a who movie, focused solely on them. Where this movie suffers is perhaps that there is very little story to it. It feels more like a whole lot of comedic sketches put together. But that'S not to bad as it does give it a bit of a relaxed feel. Nice to have a movie that seems to just want to have fun without too much "bay-ness" to it.

Overall: Despicable Me is just a charming and fun movie that is meant to be taken leisurely. Well worth the watch.
sammieteeMar 27, 2013
Why am I only just seeing this movie? It was fantastic for what it was. The 3 little girls were absolutely precious and the movie was generally heartwarming. The minions were adorable as well and always made me giggle. It isn't Pixar, but itWhy am I only just seeing this movie? It was fantastic for what it was. The 3 little girls were absolutely precious and the movie was generally heartwarming. The minions were adorable as well and always made me giggle. It isn't Pixar, but it made me smile and that's what it was going for. I think this movie did it's job very well and I loved it! Expand
hacmiu36Feb 21, 2013
Love the movies very much. It's has a lot of funny scene. Ana there are many family touching moment like the Gru's love of 3 daughter
jordiJan 5, 2013
Muy original. A los que nos gustan los superhéroes también nos gustan los villanos, y más cuando los villanos no lo son tanto. Buenísimos personajes, muy entretenida, buen guión y diálogos. A la vezMuy original. A los que nos gustan los superhéroes también nos gustan los villanos, y más cuando los villanos no lo son tanto. Buenísimos personajes, muy entretenida, buen guión y diálogos. A la vez tierna. Sería fantástica una serie animada derivada para sacar más provecho de los minions. Expand
awesomekid06Dec 6, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's quite good actually. I liked all of it, and I realized near the end that the moon was too big. And with the second one coming out soon, I cant wait for it! Expand
Jeramyd69Jun 24, 2012
Pretty interesting story with humorous jokes and nods toward popular culture that the kids wouldn't necessarily get, but the parents that are dragged in will enjoy. The story will tug at your heart strings just a little bit. Well...maybe itPretty interesting story with humorous jokes and nods toward popular culture that the kids wouldn't necessarily get, but the parents that are dragged in will enjoy. The story will tug at your heart strings just a little bit. Well...maybe it will nibble if even that much. I mean, if you're into the whole predictable plot and sappy story. It's a moderately enjoyable film to sit through; not too long, will give you a few laughs, and a better look toward your life's priorities. Give it a bit of a chance. Expand
Jboy2468Apr 9, 2012
Despicable Me was not disappointing at all. The characters were great and the movie overall was entertaining. What made me start to track my opinion down was that I got a feeling that the movie showed cliche during the second half, which is aDespicable Me was not disappointing at all. The characters were great and the movie overall was entertaining. What made me start to track my opinion down was that I got a feeling that the movie showed cliche during the second half, which is a huge pet peeve of mine. The idea of a villain as a main character was awesome, but they could have taken it further. It felt like it was wrapped up too quickly or in the wrong way. Despite this, I recommend this movie to anyone at any age. Expand
FlutterPie93Apr 5, 2012
This movie is absolutely brilliant. The animation is top-notch, the characters are lovable and memorable, and the jokes are bound to have both kids and parents on the floor laughing. It probably won't bring tears to your eyes likeThis movie is absolutely brilliant. The animation is top-notch, the characters are lovable and memorable, and the jokes are bound to have both kids and parents on the floor laughing. It probably won't bring tears to your eyes like Pixar/Disney movies do, but it's still very touching and heart-warming and it will definitely give you a warm, fuzzy feeling. 9/10. Expand
JuanoloApr 1, 2012
First off, I would give this a 9.25 out of 10. Animation is good. Story real good. Can be funny sometimes. Acting and score is good. Steve carrel does good. Overall, this is a good movie that you and your family should see.
NedRyerson1Mar 9, 2012
Despicable Me is one the animated film that I enjoyed the most; starting by the plot: two bad guys that are constantly fighting to demonstrate who is the most evil. The interesting thing is that these two villains are very real, they bothDespicable Me is one the animated film that I enjoyed the most; starting by the plot: two bad guys that are constantly fighting to demonstrate who is the most evil. The interesting thing is that these two villains are very real, they both have conflicts with themselves and with the people that surround them, and both are trying to have a better life. Here lies the charm of the movie, the amazingly well develop characters, and with this I not only refer to the protagonist and antagonist, I also refer to the girls, the old scientist and the minions; all this bunch of captivating characters during the film, manage to break their stereotype. This release of the characters is the most remarkable concepts of this picture, because nowadays the protagonists are typecast and their development is linear or zero. This achievement should be awarded, the director and writers of Despicable Me have come back to the classics. This is what the animation filmmakers must learn, the pillar of cartoon production is a character that breaks his stereotype and evolve to an original form. Expand
MegWhiteleyMar 3, 2012
A new hit! Despicable Me is an awesome animated film, the characters are really funny, the voices are really incredible, and claps for the Minions, wow, be like the Rabbids on Rayman, Despicable is a great classic. I love it.
heyitsmegrif4Feb 12, 2012
Despicable Me has dazzling animation, lots of laughs, originality, cute little characters (the minions), and just a heartwarming story , backed by solid voice acting make for an ideal family film. I give this movie 89%.
JaySupertrampFeb 6, 2012
Solid and good animated movie with a nice plot and so much fun with these little yellow ... does someone know how they're called?! Anyway definately worth it !
Sonny_OBiczJan 21, 2012
(5.5 is more accurate) This is a solid animated feature and not too much else. If you got kids you like to watch movies with, this is a suitable number. The frame-shifted world of evil villains living amongst us in our suburbs, relatively(5.5 is more accurate) This is a solid animated feature and not too much else. If you got kids you like to watch movies with, this is a suitable number. The frame-shifted world of evil villains living amongst us in our suburbs, relatively civilly half the time, is an entertaining slant to enjoy. The main villain and character is a charming enough rendition of a curmudgeon with ambition. (Although, honestly, I think Steve Carrellâ Expand
SShaoDec 29, 2011
THE ABSOLUTE CUTEST MOVIE. Being grown and mature, very few cartoons and childish movies touch home base for me. This movie's ending summed up all lose ends brought forth in the beginning of the movie and everything was just SO DAMN CUTE. TheTHE ABSOLUTE CUTEST MOVIE. Being grown and mature, very few cartoons and childish movies touch home base for me. This movie's ending summed up all lose ends brought forth in the beginning of the movie and everything was just SO DAMN CUTE. The minions, oh my goodness, I need one. Very heartwarming and cute storyline and characters - DEFINITELY WORTH WATCHING, whatever age group you may fit into. Expand
ZilcellNov 6, 2011
Despicable Me has some great characters. It is mildly funny, smart, and has a great balance between its humor and story. The result is a solid animated film.
triggareloadedNov 3, 2011
Absolutely shocked me! This is a 3D animation with a change in direction! Completely fresh take on this form of entertainment, and i have yet to even see it in 3D! Story was incredibly original, super cute characters! Graphics areAbsolutely shocked me! This is a 3D animation with a change in direction! Completely fresh take on this form of entertainment, and i have yet to even see it in 3D! Story was incredibly original, super cute characters! Graphics are jaw-dropping, and given that this isn't a Pixar production, it has the kind of creative freedom to be as out there as need be! With no name to live up to --and no expectation-- a masterpiece is born. Expand
MediaCriticOct 18, 2011
This movie is a great family movie, and it could have nearly managed an 8. The animation is superb and the storyline was surprisingly good. The voices were played well, and the plot of it was good. There is a few messages that the movie mayThis movie is a great family movie, and it could have nearly managed an 8. The animation is superb and the storyline was surprisingly good. The voices were played well, and the plot of it was good. There is a few messages that the movie may give out to children, (good ones) though. It's funny, random but really good fun! Expand
grandpajoe6191Oct 6, 2011
The puerile movie takes its chances on the comedy and humor rather than the story and characters. As a result "Despicable Me" may sometimes be overly reactive to such preposterous comedies they create, but at least succeeds in making a markThe puerile movie takes its chances on the comedy and humor rather than the story and characters. As a result "Despicable Me" may sometimes be overly reactive to such preposterous comedies they create, but at least succeeds in making a mark in the innocent hearts of the young ones with its mellifluous tone. Expand
davenbettridgeSep 25, 2011
Despicable Me has some genuine humour and the animators look like they had fun making it. The characters and movie moments are fun and will have kids and some adults giggling throughout. The story does lack some weight as it ends up being aDespicable Me has some genuine humour and the animators look like they had fun making it. The characters and movie moments are fun and will have kids and some adults giggling throughout. The story does lack some weight as it ends up being a standard predicable story - something we have seen too many times before and may leave some adults wanting more, but what we have here is fun nonetheless. Recommended for kids.â Expand
CRLSep 5, 2011
Despicable Me is a sometimes predictable yet hilarious piece of cinema with stellar voice acting, a laugh-inducing script, and some of the best animation this side of PIxar.
Khunter4382Jul 26, 2011
Pretty darn brilliant! I greatly enjoyed this film, with Carell dishing out superb voice talent. It struggles to get off the ground initially, but it takes off after 10 mins or so. This story is so funny and the supporting characters reallyPretty darn brilliant! I greatly enjoyed this film, with Carell dishing out superb voice talent. It struggles to get off the ground initially, but it takes off after 10 mins or so. This story is so funny and the supporting characters really light up the screen, in particular the three little girls along with the hilariously slapstick minions. Then, suddenly, the film's emotional fist slugs you right in the gut, full force, and this "evil" comedy quickly turns to an unconditional, parental-love story. Expand
HasrionaJul 20, 2011
A colourful and enchanting animation it certainly is, but it's nowhere near the quality of animation giants like Pixar. Not only this, but it's very forgettable and nothing special. Once in the cinema, yes, it's a nice treat. Twice...no.A colourful and enchanting animation it certainly is, but it's nowhere near the quality of animation giants like Pixar. Not only this, but it's very forgettable and nothing special. Once in the cinema, yes, it's a nice treat. Twice...no. DVD... definitely no... Expand
msft777jfJul 5, 2011
Great, humorous, movie..a film designed to get old and young to laugh..great, clean humor and an interesting storyline,plus memorable characters( including the Minions) make this a one-of-a kind move!!!
kyled829Jul 1, 2011
Summer 2010 was a time filled with sweet seasonal treats, especially amongst animated features. "Toy Story 3" hit theatres a month earlier than "Despicable Me", and was quickly deemed the best animated film of the summer, and quite possiblySummer 2010 was a time filled with sweet seasonal treats, especially amongst animated features. "Toy Story 3" hit theatres a month earlier than "Despicable Me", and was quickly deemed the best animated film of the summer, and quite possibly the year. I had undoubtedly agreed with the previously mentioned statement- until I visited my local movie theatre one afternoon in July to see "Despicable Me". The film, which features the voice talents of Steve Carell and Miranda Cosgrove (to name a few), was charming, moving and, possibly most importantly, hilarious for all audiences. I found myself laughing out loud on numerous occasions, as well as stifling back a tear or two at other times. The film is centered around a less-than-superb villain who, in order to complete a ruse to infiltrate his enemy's lair and steal the moon, adopts three orphaned and unmeasurably adorable sisters. With little experience in the paternal field and a strong background in being a misanthropic antagonist, comedy ensues as the girls completely rearrange his life. Looking for a feel-good film with heart, adventure and laughs? Look no further- you've found "Despicable Me". Expand
MovieLonely94Jun 11, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's been a long time since Universal stopped making 2D animated features except in 2006, they made Curious George that starred Will Ferrell and the rest of the cast. Four years later, they released their first CGI animated feature length film, Despicable Me. I've never saw it in theaters, but I've got the DVD of this movie and now I'm going to review it.

It revolves around a super-villain named Gru, who plans to steal his arch-nemesis's shrink ray in an attempt to shrink/steal the moon. One day, he adopts three girls from an orphanage and made them do the job for him. Upon being distracted by them, he learns that being a father is more important than just being a super-villain, but little does he know that he himself is on a desperate battle between him and his arch-nemesis named Vector.

I know what the story was about, but you have no idea how much this movie has impressed me. It has a terrific voice cast, great animation, cool action scenes, and entertaining comedy.

The only problem that I had with the movie was the villain named Vector. He's wasn't given enough screen time to begin with, but that doesn't mean the characters have anything to do with it.

Despicable Me lacks in any depth with the villain, but has solid acting and very good comedy. It is in no doubt one of the best animated movies ever made since the Disney era.

jmurray93May 30, 2011
A great film, harmless family fun.

I'll be honest it's nothing new but it's got it's charm and is worth watching, i'd rent rather than buy though :P
MichaelDApr 16, 2011
Long story short, I enjoyed the movie.
gm101Apr 7, 2011
A fun movie with a good story, and some witty dialogue by Steve Carrell. Although, there weren't as many laughs as I thought there would be (I blame it on the television commercials).
roddersj04Apr 2, 2011
Gru may be Despicable, but this film certainly isn't The story of Gru and his adopting the kids may seem predictable or cheesy, but it manages to hit the right notes of your heart. I especially like how they manage to make him not suddenlyGru may be Despicable, but this film certainly isn't The story of Gru and his adopting the kids may seem predictable or cheesy, but it manages to hit the right notes of your heart. I especially like how they manage to make him not suddenly become a true dad, but develop over it, especially in the super fun theme park, as shown when the daughters try to win a carnival game. There are some funny jokes here that the kids won't get, one pick is "BANK OF EVIL: formerly Lehman Brothers", but its nice to see they don't try to make all the jokes that kids will get with fart gags and such, they craft a good storyline thats humourous and heart warming. For me, there is one component which made this film utterly brilliant and would make a brilliant film of their own: The Minions! These yellow creatures may seem annoying to some, but to me, they were utterly hilarious and so cute. They light up any scene they're in and the mini-movies they star in on the DVD are utterly hilarious and something brilliant. They're tied with Toy Story's aliens for favourite animation character. If you enjoyed Pixars various movies, then trust me, you'll definately enjoy Despicable Me. Expand
ArkonBladeMar 20, 2011
well out of all theese family CGI films ive seen this one is prolly down on the bottom of my list. its not bad bujt its not great eather . i found it to be just ok and thats about it . the only decent comedy comes out of the little minions .
RJSmooveMar 20, 2011
Despicable is yet another brilliant, heartfelt, and most of all, hilarious animated comedy for us to sink our teeth into this year. I thought to myself at the end of the movie that it felt a lot like The Grinch. So I dubbed it, "How The GruDespicable is yet another brilliant, heartfelt, and most of all, hilarious animated comedy for us to sink our teeth into this year. I thought to myself at the end of the movie that it felt a lot like The Grinch. So I dubbed it, "How The Gru Stole The Moon". That's pretty creative huh? I thought so...Anyway, this is a fantastic film. It's obviously marketed for children, but like so many other films in its genre, there's plenty of material here to keep the adults happy. I laughed out loud more at this one, than I have in a very long time. A lot more than I did at the stupid MacGruber movie, and trust me, I laughed my ass off at MacGruber. The voicework is terrific. I love Steve Carrell (The 40-Year-Old Virgin, The Office). I love Jason Segal (I Love You Man, Forgetting Sarah Marshall) just as much. I love Russell Brand (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Get Him To The Greek) and I love Kristen Wiig (Adventureland, MacGruber). As you can see, I had high expectations for this ensemble of hilarious comedians going in. They didn't disappoint. Steve Carrell's choice of accent may annoy some, but it did not bother me in the lightest. The think this movie had a very good script as well. The dialogue, the pacing, everything was well written. The editing is perfect. It does start off a tiny bit slow, but still not dull. It's funny all the way throughout. The music was great as well. Rapper/Producer/N.E.R.D. lead Pharrell Williams did the music, and it was excellent. Nice mix of a variety of music genres, all toned together perfectly. There are plenty of winning concept in the film. I mentioned that it reminded me of The Grinch, but it was still very creative. It was a lot better than that stupid Megamind movie is going to be. Why are Universal and DreamWorks releasing FOUR movies in the same year anyway?! Are they still married? I don't know, but if so, I guess they're trying to stay relevant so that Toy Story 3 doesn't easily destroy their line-up when Oscar season comes. Sadly, it will anyway. I say sadly because I'm one of the few who liked How To Train Your Dragon a little more than Toy Story 3. Back to this movie. There were some things I had a little trouble coping with. The main thing is, and this may sound stupid because it's a cartoon, but I had a little trouble coping with the obvious and complete lack of realism. This movie felt too much like an episode of The Looney Toons, with sharks eating Gru, and a dozen missles hitting him in the face, yet he walks away unscathed. Even so, I think it's great. The show stealers by far are the minions. I loved the minions so much. They never ceased to make me smile, crack up, or flat out bust out with laughter. They were awesome. Easily the best thing about the movie, which means a lot. I also liked the little girl, Agnes. She was cute, and actually a strong character. So, I highly recommend this movie to anyone, and everyone. Young or old. Hopefully Despicable Me will not be forgotten in the shadow of Toy Story 3. Expand
KendylKlownfishMar 15, 2011
Borrowing heavily from Disney and Pixar animation, Despicable Me is charmingly written and thoroughly involving for children of all ages, with remarkable voice acting from Steve Carell.
Atech66Feb 24, 2011
Wonderful film we watched for "family night" with my 7 yr old son.
It was entertaining and funny.
It kept the adults interested as well as the kids.
swanage18Feb 23, 2011
You fall in love with him, his minions and the three orphan girls....absurd and v v v funny! Blue Sky Creative are offering a FREE copy with a years hosting! http://blue-sky-creative.com/
TheQuietGamerFeb 8, 2011
Despicable Me is one of the best animated movies i've seen, the characters are enjoyable, and it has a touching redemption story, it's hilarious and moving, this is a movie i would highly recommend seeing, it has what all movies need aDespicable Me is one of the best animated movies i've seen, the characters are enjoyable, and it has a touching redemption story, it's hilarious and moving, this is a movie i would highly recommend seeing, it has what all movies need a touching story with crude humor, my only complaint is that it starts off slow, but ultimately unfolds into one of the best movies i've ever seen. Expand
MrSteerFeb 6, 2011
This is a great example of a film for any age, the humour is grown up enough in places for young adults and parents, the animation is fantastic and the characters are very cute. I'd say this is on a par with Megamind for older viewers, butThis is a great example of a film for any age, the humour is grown up enough in places for young adults and parents, the animation is fantastic and the characters are very cute. I'd say this is on a par with Megamind for older viewers, but this just sneaks an 8 as it's better for kids. DVD Rental: Yeah why not, with the mates or with the kids Expand
MrC3030Feb 2, 2011
I am 31 yrs old and for some reason I still like watching animated film. I absolutely loved those little minion things, they were hilarious! The only problem that I had with this movie was that Steve Carrell accent was a little weak, and atI am 31 yrs old and for some reason I still like watching animated film. I absolutely loved those little minion things, they were hilarious! The only problem that I had with this movie was that Steve Carrell accent was a little weak, and at time he just sounded like himself trying to do a Russian accent. Overall this was pretty funny movie. Acting: OK
Storyline: Good
Characters: Good
copycat101Jan 24, 2011
the movie was awesome..but it did tend to rush at some points
DorrbeckerJan 23, 2011
One of the best Animated films of 2010, way better than Toy Story 3 or How to Train Your Dragon. Lots of emotion make a grown man want to cry. This movie deserves a Oscar.
CreativitaJan 14, 2011
One thing about certain good movies is that they are empty of stereotypes or they are exaggerated to a point that they become funny. And Despicable Me had both of these. The fact that such an original movie could come from Dreamworks was veryOne thing about certain good movies is that they are empty of stereotypes or they are exaggerated to a point that they become funny. And Despicable Me had both of these. The fact that such an original movie could come from Dreamworks was very surprising but nevertheless, it was a brilliantly funny, entertaining and an original film suitable for all ages. Expand
enigma13Jan 9, 2011
A fun movie with sweet story and plenty of laughs. The characters were great - the bad guy just bad enough to still be likable and Vector enough of a weeny to be annoying. Definitely recommend.
nintendoid13Jan 8, 2011
I have to say this movie touched my heart as much as it did my laugh box. Steve Carrel is hilarious and if you didn't watch the credits you probably wouldn't know it was him. The story is very creative and original and (as always) was copiedI have to say this movie touched my heart as much as it did my laugh box. Steve Carrel is hilarious and if you didn't watch the credits you probably wouldn't know it was him. The story is very creative and original and (as always) was copied a year later with Megamind. I do have a hard time understanding some of those negative reviews though. Expand
nutterjrDec 22, 2010
Excellent animation and a series of funny moments make this a thoroughly entertaining film to watch for the whole family. The story verges on absurd but then again it is a fairytale where minions exist and the world's greatest villains have aExcellent animation and a series of funny moments make this a thoroughly entertaining film to watch for the whole family. The story verges on absurd but then again it is a fairytale where minions exist and the world's greatest villains have a soft spot for orphans. Expand
OscarPicks2010Dec 21, 2010
Though its materials are mostly cliche and have been used in Hollywood for a long time, Despicable Me delivers its high-class materials with charms, cute, and heartfelt style. Steve Carrell's voice performance is probably the better ones ofThough its materials are mostly cliche and have been used in Hollywood for a long time, Despicable Me delivers its high-class materials with charms, cute, and heartfelt style. Steve Carrell's voice performance is probably the better ones of voice performances I've seen in years. His cute minions also helped add to the film's quirkiness.
Gru, a criminal mastermind voiced by Steve Carrell, was on his way to conquering the world when he ran into three orphan girls and adopted them. Margo, Edith, and Agnes was in a home since they can remember and being adopted by anyone at this point is a joy for them. But after staying with Gru for a day, the kids were horrified. After months of teaching and nurturing, the kids were able to get Gru to be nicer. The story progress with Gru choosing between his evil plan and his kids. It is heavily borrowed from other children films, but Despicable Me stabbed at the materials at a different angle and succeeded in bringing Hollywood something new. OscarBuzz: Best Animated Feature, I has a good chance of being nominated but winning is a long shot.
PYRiAHDec 13, 2010
Light Bulb." It took a little time for the light bulb to turn on in "Despicable Me", but when it finally does it actually becomes a good film. The slow start almost ruined it for me but luckily the visuals were good enough to keep meLight Bulb." It took a little time for the light bulb to turn on in "Despicable Me", but when it finally does it actually becomes a good film. The slow start almost ruined it for me but luckily the visuals were good enough to keep me intrigued while the directors Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud figured out where they were going with the movie. And I must say when they finally figured things out it completely turned the movie around for the better.

Read full review at FlicksWorthWatching.com
likes2singDec 1, 2010
You are led to believe that this is about a bad guy who because of some adorable kids, becomes a good guy. In fact, it really a story about some terrible animation (from a much overused style) about a guy who isn't really that bad (he hasYou are led to believe that this is about a bad guy who because of some adorable kids, becomes a good guy. In fact, it really a story about some terrible animation (from a much overused style) about a guy who isn't really that bad (he has minions that he does care about - knows their names, asks how they're doing...), isn't very good at pulling off bad pranks (steals the Statue of Liberty - the small one from Las Vegas), and is just focused on the moon from a childhood experience. The movie handles the 'adoption' terribly - I mean can you really walk into an orphanage and bring home 3 kids in a day on the basis of some obviously made up references? There are just so many things wrong with the plot it's just ridiculous, but even if you want to give it a pass because it's a "kid's movie" and you have to pretend to be stupid for those types of movies, then fine let's focus on the animation. Somewhere between Shrek and The Incredibles, it became "the thing" to do a certain type of animation that got just enough realism to do people correctly, but not too much to be freaky. Since then, this and every other animated movie that comes has to follow this style. The problem is that the style is a compromise, that only works so-so. Just like this movie. Expand
DarthCriticNov 30, 2010
A very cool movie. The minions are hilarious, and it's worth seeing just to laugh at them. Not a groundbreaking film and not going to win any awards, but I'd watch it again.
williamwigglesNov 13, 2010
Great movie, forget the bad reviews! This video is worth seeing, no matter how old you are. This movie is way better than Toy Story 3! Meet Vector, Gru, and the kids for a thrill-packed ride! Believe me, it's awesome!
BackYardOct 30, 2010
Movie was pretty interesting and funny. One of the most funny characters is Minions, dumb, hearty, and good-looking. Nice story. Funny jokes. It was funny to watch how bad guy became good one.
Ikarus14Oct 20, 2010
Although the story isn't totally heart-warming and a few jokes felt a little tired, Despicable Me is still quiet clever in a few places and shows some great animation and design.