Detachment

8.0

1. Jan 12, 2013
    Adrien Brody was fantastic as the frazzled teacher trying to live despite the world seemingly going mad around him. Sami Gayle was also impressive as Erica.
    Despite the rather depressing subject matter, the quality acting made it so believable and Henry so endearing that I have fallen in love with this film.
    Brilliant!
  2. Mar 22, 2016
    Detachment is not a movie or drama that you watch only! "each movie is a life", but do you use this sentence for all the movies which are on screen? absolutely no! Detachment is a lost part of our life. all the characters in this movie make a man, a human! This is movie about morality or high morality! It's Tony Kaye's never land. It is our surreal world among this bloody real world.Detachment is not a movie or drama that you watch only! "each movie is a life", but do you use this sentence for all the movies which are on screen? absolutely no! Detachment is a lost part of our life. all the characters in this movie make a man, a human! This is movie about morality or high morality! It's Tony Kaye's never land. It is our surreal world among this bloody real world. Sometimes, I'm Henry, who is building his personality again. Sometimes, I'm Meredith, who is mixed up and need someone to be a permanent solution for her. somebody, after watching, maybe say that this is not a film. it is an exaggeration! This existentialist world does not belong to this world, especially American world. Well, I said this is Tony Kaye talkie. This is a dream world in his mind who thinks a better world among this corrupted real world. Who said that you must think all the characters are real and they are beside us? No, They our other moral parts!
    Detachment is not a lesson from a director. No, It just wants to show that you will be this if you want to be this.
  3. Jul 21, 2012
    Superb movie with great messages for the US education system (and the worldwide one, too) !! A must for parents, students and professional teachers. Also, proof that small budget films are usually much much better than their blockbusters cousins.
  4. Jul 14, 2012
    Great cast Adrien Brody is brilliant it's nice for a change to go see a movie that makes you sit up and think about life and how every day is a challenge and effects people in different ways and how we make it from day to day with whatever problems we have its a must see movie which will hopefully give you a new out look on life.
  5. Jul 6, 2012
    La educación es una de las grandes esferas de la estructura social y siempre se relaciona con la otra base, la familia. Hoy ambas están en crisis y genera fenómenos de todo tipo. La denuncia o la simple mirada de la transformación que se vive hoy en la escuela, hace que la reflexión y el legado que se está dejando no auguren un buen futuro.La educación es una de las grandes esferas de la estructura social y siempre se relaciona con la otra base, la familia. Hoy ambas están en crisis y genera fenómenos de todo tipo. La denuncia o la simple mirada de la transformación que se vive hoy en la escuela, hace que la reflexión y el legado que se está dejando no auguren un buen futuro. Detachment es una película contundente que llega a confrontar el rol que todo espectador ejerce en esta sociedad, pasivo o activo, estudiante o padre, comprometido o no con un entorno cada vez más salvaje para las nuevas generaciones.
    Ver más en: http://cineplacebos.webnode.es/news/dando-clases-de-insatisfaccion/
  6. Jul 21, 2013
    Possibly one of the most underrated movies in 2012. "Detachment" gave an honest though a little too pessimistic at times insight into the complexity of how people cope with life's own complexity. With great performances from the cast, especially Oscar winner Adrien Brody and newcomer Sami Gayle and creative,story telling, "Detachment" is something really different and worth watching fromPossibly one of the most underrated movies in 2012. "Detachment" gave an honest though a little too pessimistic at times insight into the complexity of how people cope with life's own complexity. With great performances from the cast, especially Oscar winner Adrien Brody and newcomer Sami Gayle and creative,story telling, "Detachment" is something really different and worth watching from the mixture of shallow scripted movies we are bombarded with in recent times. Expand
  7. Mar 17, 2012
    Adrien Brody's performance is very good, and the movie ends up being an inspiring drama.
  8. Sep 26, 2012
    Adrien Brody as seen better days (in terms of picking movies)... Detachment if off the hook providing the viewer an intense story about schools nowadays and great performances but fails short in terms of directing and a script so full of pseudo-philosophy that can confuse most of the people. It´s good but hard to understand.
  9. Mar 20, 2013
    Altho the film is a nearly relentless downer, the acting is terrific. All that makes my rating so low is that an awful lot of what the characters do makes little sense since we don't know who they are or what their story is. That being said, is it worth watching? Very much so, you might even leave with a pinch of hopefulness.

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Holden
    May 17, 2012
    The shriller its didacticism, the more unhinged it becomes. But even at its most ludicrous - when it is shouting into your ear - its sheer audacity grabs your attention.
  2. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    May 10, 2012
    The movie has an undeniable visceral power. It is also a loud, grating wallow in dime-store despair, a cheap and hollow button-puncher.
    Ultimately, Detachment invites us to feel precisely what it warns against – detached.