Tribeca Film | Release Date: March 16, 2012
8.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 63 Ratings
WATCH NOW
BeingnessMar 22, 2016
Detachment is not a movie or drama that you watch only! "each movie is a life", but do you use this sentence for all the movies which are on screen? absolutely no! Detachment is a lost part of our life. all the characters in this movie make aDetachment is not a movie or drama that you watch only! "each movie is a life", but do you use this sentence for all the movies which are on screen? absolutely no! Detachment is a lost part of our life. all the characters in this movie make a man, a human! This is movie about morality or high morality! It's Tony Kaye's never land. It is our surreal world among this bloody real world. Sometimes, I'm Henry, who is building his personality again. Sometimes, I'm Meredith, who is mixed up and need someone to be a permanent solution for her. somebody, after watching, maybe say that this is not a film. it is an exaggeration! This existentialist world does not belong to this world, especially American world. Well, I said this is Tony Kaye talkie. This is a dream world in his mind who thinks a better world among this corrupted real world. Who said that you must think all the characters are real and they are beside us? No, They our other moral parts!
Detachment is not a lesson from a director. No, It just wants to show that you will be this if you want to be this.
mochainthesunJul 21, 2013
Possibly one of the most underrated movies in 2012. "Detachment" gave an honest though a little too pessimistic at times insight into the complexity of how people cope with life's own complexity. With great performances from the cast,Possibly one of the most underrated movies in 2012. "Detachment" gave an honest though a little too pessimistic at times insight into the complexity of how people cope with life's own complexity. With great performances from the cast, especially Oscar winner Adrien Brody and newcomer Sami Gayle and creative,story telling, "Detachment" is something really different and worth watching from the mixture of shallow scripted movies we are bombarded with in recent times. Expand
BobbyLipMar 20, 2013
Altho the film is a nearly relentless downer, the acting is terrific. All that makes my rating so low is that an awful lot of what the characters do makes little sense since we don't know who they are or what their story is. That beingAltho the film is a nearly relentless downer, the acting is terrific. All that makes my rating so low is that an awful lot of what the characters do makes little sense since we don't know who they are or what their story is. That being said, is it worth watching? Very much so, you might even leave with a pinch of hopefulness. Expand
Helly77Jan 12, 2013
Adrien Brody was fantastic as the frazzled teacher trying to live despite the world seemingly going mad around him. Sami Gayle was also impressive as Erica.
Despite the rather depressing subject matter, the quality acting made it so
Despite the rather depressing subject matter, the quality acting made it so believable and Henry so endearing that I have fallen in love with this film.
Brilliant!
dodgingbulletSep 26, 2012
Adrien Brody as seen better days (in terms of picking movies)... Detachment if off the hook providing the viewer an intense story about schools nowadays and great performances but fails short in terms of directing and a script so full ofAdrien Brody as seen better days (in terms of picking movies)... Detachment if off the hook providing the viewer an intense story about schools nowadays and great performances but fails short in terms of directing and a script so full of pseudo-philosophy that can confuse most of the people. It´s good but hard to understand. Expand
AthanasiosTJul 21, 2012
Superb movie with great messages for the US education system (and the worldwide one, too) !! A must for parents, students and professional teachers. Also, proof that small budget films are usually much much better than their blockbusters cousins.
scoleyJul 14, 2012
Great cast Adrien Brody is brilliant it's nice for a change to go see a movie that makes you sit up and think about life and how every day is a challenge and effects people in different ways and how we make it from day to day with whateverGreat cast Adrien Brody is brilliant it's nice for a change to go see a movie that makes you sit up and think about life and how every day is a challenge and effects people in different ways and how we make it from day to day with whatever problems we have its a must see movie which will hopefully give you a new out look on life. Expand
CinePlaceboJul 6, 2012
La educación es una de las grandes esferas de la estructura social y siempre se relaciona con la otra base, la familia. Hoy ambas están en crisis y genera fenómenos de todo tipo. La denuncia o la simple mirada de laLa educación es una de las grandes esferas de la estructura social y siempre se relaciona con la otra base, la familia. Hoy ambas están en crisis y genera fenómenos de todo tipo. La denuncia o la simple mirada de la transformación que se vive hoy en la escuela, hace que la reflexión y el legado que se está dejando no auguren un buen futuro. Detachment es una película contundente que llega a confrontar el rol que todo espectador ejerce en esta sociedad, pasivo o activo, estudiante o padre, comprometido o no con un entorno cada vez más salvaje para las nuevas generaciones.
Ver más en: http://cineplacebos.webnode.es/news/dando-clases-de-insatisfaccion/
ReviewCriticMar 17, 2012
Adrien Brody's performance is very good, and the movie ends up being an inspiring drama.