6.3

1. Feb 15, 2014
    Devil is typical genre fare with its horror movie clich├ęs and such, but that's not to say it isn't half bad as a film. It's not a great movie, but it'll do for a Friday night.
  2. Jan 20, 2014
    Alright. I was really excited to see this movie. "People are trapped in an elevator. Hmm. Sounds interesting. I want to see this." The movie is original, like no other. There's hardly a PG-13 movie. I've never thought the title of a movie would be Devil. The movie wasn't time-consuming. Throughout the movie, I was getting an eerie feeling from watching it! It has an interesting plot. The movie is a tad bit disappointing at the end like a bee sting, but I like this movie. The moral I got from Devil is NEVER trust strangers. Expand
  3. Nov 6, 2013
    After watching Devil I can say that I was surprised that something of this caliber came from M. Night Shyamalan. Wait...no, no I'm not... Despite only filling the producer/writer role, Shyamalan's continued floundering seeps into every corner of this film. While Devil's premise is interesting its execution is incredibly flawed thanks to twists that can be seen from miles away, unbelievable and down right moronic events and circumstances setting up these twists, and a complete lack of any kind of suspenseful build up. For a movie that was supposed to be thrilling and unsettling Devil falls flat on its face. Expand
  4. Oct 25, 2013
    Long story short: This was a great movie with a great plot but non-religious people may not find substance in it and it did have a silly Shyamalan twist.

I loved this movie, I thought it was one of the best horror thrillers I have seen in quite some time. I think one of the major problems people have with this movie is that if they are not religious, the ending loses a lot of its power.
    To the non-religious person, they didn't sign up to watch this kind of horror movie.
    But Personally I thought the movie had one of the best plots out of any horror movie I have seen in quite some time.
    My only qualm about it was that it had the telltale Shyamalan twist at the end, I'd rather it have ended slightly different so I knocked two points off the score for this. But the aside from the twist I really liked the idea behind the movie, as well as the the story was concluded.
  5. Jun 6, 2013
    A distinct lack of seriousness, bad acting, and moments of unintentional hilarity result in an average movie with a decent story but a predictable ending.
  6. Jun 3, 2013
    'Devil' is basically the first "Good" M. Night movie I've seen in a while since 'Signs'. Though the horror wasn't really there, the rest was gold. Just wish M. Night could make something better than this, even though I like it, 'cause it appears to be his "last" good film he's making.
  7. May 28, 2013
    Okay, M. Night Shylaman, before this movie came out, I remembered you for "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and that's not a good thing, I had mixed feelings about you when I was about to watch "Devil." Honestly, I expected me to hate "Devil," but after watching it, it turns out that I underestimated you. The movie is VERY VERY interesting with a sense of creepiness that is abundant in the movie, it scared the living crap out of me. It was an extremely enjoyable creep fest about murder mystery, paranoia, fear and anxiety. The movie has that feeling of anxiety, the fact that you're in a small space with a killer is not quite settling. So its a great Halloween movie, it creep-ed the hell out of me and had a great ending. Its a must see! Expand
  8. Mar 18, 2013
    I might have to say but JSua I hear you this seems like its trying to preach, but I dont listen to that this actual turned out to be pleasant. Not a horror but a good thriller to watch at 3:00 in the morning when you can't sleep. Not too bad acting, a decent story. clever things I must say for something with M. Nights name on it I am impressed. But please directors stop putting church crap in movies if you wanna do that make hour long straight to DVD things and sell them at churches or gas station not in a Hollywood Movie.. Expand
  9. Mar 9, 2013
    Truthfully its exhausting. But Devil does suceed in giving pure terror and even fear of being in an elevator. {Don't judge me}.
  10. Feb 23, 2013
    From the master of the modern day dark thriller, M. Night Shyamalan, comes Devil. Going into a Shyamalan movie, you know you're going to see a tragedy, a hero, and an amazing twist at the end. Coming off two absolute bombs, Shyamalan needed a good film to get back on track, and Devil is it! This is one of those movies that's hard to describe without giving stuff away, so let me just say, it's Shyamalan at his best! It's a great story, a young unknown cast, and the ending will just blow your mind. Unlike most Horror/Thriller writers, Shyamalan doesn't use gore to shock you, but rather has a story that will just scare you to your core, and by the end of this one I was rattled! This is a top notch film that fell way under the radar, because of its unknown cast, but if you like scary movies or edge of your seat thrillers, you have to see this film! Expand
  11. Jan 3, 2013
    Aside from the stupid sub-plot, some-what weak dialogue, and the some-what below average acting, It was actually a rather enjoyable movie that I kept you interested from start to finish. I liked it.
  12. Nov 7, 2012
    Devil doesn't compare to The Sixth Sense or Signs, but it is professionally made and the scares are delivered timely. Eebie Jeebies are guaranteed.
  13. Mar 27, 2012
    Economical horror with a promising premise which delivers in part. A familiar almost Agatha Christie who-dun-it story is given a modern day setting with spiritual undertones.
    The claustrophobic setting, sound effects and sharp editing create a succession of low-budget scares, although the turn of events become slightly repetitive each time the lights go out. The use of elevator CCTV
    footage provides some variety to the action and builds suspense as the audience are made to feel equally as helpless as the rescuers as they see the action play out in front of them. A potential step back towards form for producer M. Night Shyamalan. Expand
  14. Feb 18, 2012
    It's common knowledge these days to believe that M. Night Shamalamadingdong is nothing more than a one-trick pony. Yes, his name IS amalgamated with this film but luckily for us he is only producing the movie and not actually directing it. Does that fact help? Maybe yes, perhaps no. Either way I have mixed feelings about "Devil". It's neither frightening nor suspenseful but it does have an element of unpredictability which is appreciated. All in all It's nothing special but it does do It's intended job for what It's worth. Expand
  15. Jan 16, 2012
    I loved this movie. It was interesting through out and provided quite a bit of suspense as well. I didnt watch it for quite some time because I hate supernatural movies but this one is ok in my book.
  16. Nov 26, 2011
    I wanted to see this film and I am glad I did. I thought it was great. It was interesting, Had a good story but the backstory was a little bit too generic though, and it ended good as well. I would highly recommend this.
  17. Nov 13, 2011
    A very clever, thrilling outing from a generally unfavoured film maker. Devil kept me guessing until the finale, and left me more that satisfied. Watch this film.
  18. Nov 9, 2011
    DEVIL is one of the only good M. Night Whatever related films, since he is horrible most of the time. Devil is an fun movie that keeps you guessing till the end.
  19. Sep 15, 2011
    The movie is a surprisingly decent one from M. Night Shyamalan from his current movies.
  20. Sep 6, 2011
    Not bad. Not great, but decent. With all my prior knowledge of Shyamalan's work, I found myself obsessively trying to figure out the inevitable twist. That's where the story fails. It preoccupies the audience so much that we care very little about what is actually going on inside that tiny elevator. Instead, it focuses us on "who done it?" and "where's the catch?" While I was still somewhat surprised with the ending twist, my excitement was coupled with a dramatic eye-rolling. Twists should never become synonymous with a film professional's work, and it has with Mr. Shyamalan. Expand
  21. Sep 5, 2011
    JSau, down below, is right in his opinion of this movie. This seems like one of those Christian evangelist movies, targeted to an audience who believe in the Christian devil, and if you do happen to be one of those believers, you'll probably be scared. Otherwise, this is pretty silly stuff. Good acting and great cinematography, especially the disturbing opening shots of Philly, are the redeeming factors. Expand
  22. Aug 26, 2011
    for M night shamalamadingdong , this wasnt half bad . as a horror movie it wasnt all that great ... well it wasnt even scary period but it was a intresting story and original so i was entertained atleast. the acting was prety decent and its pacing was pretty good . its worth seeing if you want to see some thing original and abit entertaining but if your looking for some thing scary ... look els where. Expand
  23. Aug 23, 2011
    One of m night shyamalan's best films and all the usual thrills you would expect from his first three movies. When you watch this movie do not expect it to be a horror movie.
  24. Aug 7, 2011
    This movie was absolutely fantastic ! It kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. Great script, lots of twists, superb acting. I clapped my hands when it was over ! Congratulations, filmmakers !
  25. Jul 20, 2011
    Not the worst but still a disappointing horror which borders on a whodunit type thriller but it's all been done before and there's nothing memorable to encourage a recommendation.
  26. Jun 12, 2011
    Not frightening movie at all, in fact, is PG-13 so that limit's more the tension,probably the mature. The story was quite interesting, but other than this was a complete boring movie, so, do not even touch this, unless you wanna puke.
  27. May 29, 2011
    Look, with the proposal of including five actors in a elevator, could have been better. I think it would be nice if they explored a little bit the life of each one character, their mistakes, and etc. One thing more dramatic thrilling. Perhaps even really a little scary. Even with the little case with horror movies, I think that when properly treated, the results are gratifying. Well, for what could have been left much to be desired, too bad that. Expand
  28. Apr 14, 2011
    This Horror Movie Is In The Top 50 Best Horror Movies!
    This Horror Movie Is Not Like Any Other.. Its So Creative And Well Thought... Really Good Acting For Once!! :D
    My Score Is 9!
  29. Apr 4, 2011
    The film draws the viewer in with classic suspense and satisfying thrill. Were it not for the sub-par dialogue and predictably sequential killing of those involved, the film may have warranted a bit more of an attractive critical surrounding. Nevertheless, it stands to be a very stimulating horror flick, which is almost as creepy as some of the characters in the supporting ensemble. A definite win for a director who makes more duds than a French bomb factory. It's no Sixth Sense, but if you have any appreciation for scary movies, you'll get something out of "Devil." Expand
  30. Mar 8, 2011

Now this was not a bad movie. Just reading the back of the box may make it seem pretty stupid. "A whole movie about people in an elevator!?" you may ask...well essentially yes but other movies have done the same concept really. Think 127 Hours or Buried. But in all actuality it's more than just that. It does have a group of people
    trapped in an elevator but also is a movie about a detective and his life's events as he tries to rescue these people. There is also the whole Latino ghost story overdrop to the whole movie.

Overall I think the movie was decently well made. Kept people entertained through lots of suspenseful moments both in the elevator and out as well as "pop up" scares to get the easily frightened. And even a pretty big twist at the end (depending on how much of a scary movie connoisseur you are I suppose, although I was pleasantly surprised). So I'd say its a movie you could rent if you and your friends want a semi scary movie.

1. Reviewed by: Ben Sachs
    The great cinematographer Tak Fujimoto has the time of his life on this low-budget horror feature, playing with dolly shots, abrupt zooms, and negative space inside the widescreen frame, and the fun is infectious.
  2. Reviewed by: Tirdad Derakhshani
    Guaranteed to keep you on tenterhooks from beginning to end - and without much gore. Dowdle and company trade in the usual trappings of the genre for a tantalizing blend of tension, suspense, and mystery.
  3. A serviceable burst of high-end hokum, Devil classes up a flimsy, religion-themed plot (by M. Night Shyamalan) with the kind of limber cinematography only someone like Tak Fujimoto can deliver.