6.4

1. Dec 30, 2011
    It is cliche, but it is also very funny and sometimes touching. Oh but it isn't good enough to recommend to adults but it is a solid experience in the movie theater. I give this movie 73%.
  2. Sep 3, 2010
    was a good movie that you can watch with the family. i would add it to my movie library. rowley in my book was the best actor of the flick. good all around flick was not to funny was not sad. no love story involved unless u count best fiend love.. and i thought the story line was unusual so i give it a 7 out of 10
  3. Sep 1, 2010
    Saw this film on a flight (sadly a captive audience), when I say "saw" I mean pulled out the headphones & started reading a book after 20 minutes or so.
    The acting was poor, the story was not engaging (as a 29 year old man I'm not really the target audience though), there was nothing in the film to make me want to watch it.
    Now I know it's based on a book & perhaps it's a better read
    (hopefully without the stupid "cheese" angle), But this film is to me far from watchable for an adult, even children on the plane showed little to no interest in the film. Expand
  4. Jan 5, 2011
    It wasn't my favorite movie of the year, but good thing the comedy saved the entire movie.
  5. Oct 16, 2010
    Diary of a Wimpy Kid rocks!! Zach Gordon and Robert Capron form a great duo, and I loved Chloe Moretz. All the other stars were nothing, especially Rodrick! The plot is amazing, and the dialogue was even better! I hope all of the books become films.
  6. Dec 15, 2011
    This movie was decent, but it could of had a lot of improvement, the plot was good but the acting and the script just did not flow well with my point of view, THE SECOND ONE IS BETTER
  7. Mar 7, 2011
    I'm a 19 year old college student, and admittedly, I love reading the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series! This movie was a good adaptation of the first book, although I wish the sequels would be more faithful to the books.
  8. Nov 15, 2010
    one of the wors films ive seen i was being kind to give it a 2 i wanted to give it a one its gets worse as the film goes on it was a waste of money i have no idea what roger ebert was thinking giving it 88 he must have been drunk
  9. Nov 6, 2010
    It gives me great pain to give this film a one. Not that I feel sorry for it, just that I can't leave any zeros. This was a HUGE disappointment. For one thing, Greg in the book (the real genius) is supposed to be 13!!! The actor is like 7! I'm sure anyone could have been a better actor for Greg. ANYONE!! Left stuff out, added CRAP in. Wow! Congratulations FOX, you just brought out a stinker! Oh, by the way, THANK YOU, MikeJ., for your words of wisdom! Expand
  10. Jun 20, 2012
    Funny with a good cast. It teaches kids to just be themselves, and not to think too highly of themselves. It's also got a lot of charm. The actors really bring the whole thing to life. A great movie for kids that parents will also like.
  11. Feb 5, 2012
    I love reading the books but I have to admit the movie didn't live up to my expectations. It isn't the worst I've ever seen but definitely not the best either.
  12. May 29, 2011
    The best example that for to make laugh doesnâ
  13. Sep 4, 2011
    I loved this movie and knew there was gonna be a sequel! I think this was a great movie! Thanks to everyone out there that made the movie! Very entertaining movie. I'm not a long writer so i'm done!
  14. Nov 15, 2011
    Great film. It seems to follow the novel but it is even better than I expected it to be. I liked the acting which really made the story and characters convincing.
  15. Dec 28, 2012
    This made me laugh once or twice, and it didn't make me mad. But it still harks upon other influential teen movies a bit too much for it to become worth watching.
  16. Apr 26, 2012
    It's a lot like the book and was better then I thought but for me left out a few key bits from the book but don't buy it, rent it The diary of a wimpy kid 6.5/10
  17. Nov 11, 2012
    Obviously not made for adults, but I think the biggest disconnect for this Wimpy Kid movie and the others to follow is the main character and family. In the wildly successful books, the Wimpy Kid is not illustrated or given a distinct face and so the reader can create one in their own mind. ON the screen that face is no longer imagined and may not match the reader's conception. I didn't find the movie cute nor identifiable to my youth. Expand
  18. Mar 29, 2013
    The story is completely different, and doesn't provide the humour that the series has always delivered so well. The characters are hard to like. Rowley in particular is extremely annoying and there's really no reason to like the characters. Moments of emotional weight however did succeed in trying to grab me, and if you can ignore the changed plot, find a few funny moments with the characters, and ignore Rowley, then you may possibly enjoy the movie for the first time. I just can't promise that you will. Expand
  19. Dec 25, 2012
    This is the worst movie ever and i regret ever seeing this movie. This is worse than Despicable Me. Omigod this movie made me feel like i was the stupid wimp. Thank jesus i am not one. This movie had very many STUPID parts, including the stupid cheese touch. i hate to say this but @*#^%&@*()^)!#*&^%&@!^%#)&*(@#*%)^ %&*#%^*(&%%%@#%&&^#%@)&#%^&#*(%^@#()^%&)#!%*!@(#&*%^!@&# all at once.
  20. May 9, 2013
    Unfortunately the first 'Diary Of A Wimpy Kid' strays too far away from it's best characters. Rodrick, Frank Heffley and Rowley would shine if given more light and room to explore. This is a solid movie as the humor and laid-back attitude go hand in hand, but Greg Heffley becomes extremely big headed, leaving nothing but a sour taste in the mouth of this fan. Luckily this can be overlooked by the extremely brilliant (mostly unexperienced cast) who play their parts well with what they have. Expand
  21. Jul 9, 2013
    While I'm not a huge fan of the book, the movies seems to display its themes, with a young teenage point of view working to maybe the younger audiences in the crowd. It's not incredibly dumb either, as it has elements of bullying in as well. Although it's not the best, as the book appealed to kids more than it would to adults, but fans of the book will enjoy the roles of their favorite characters on the big screen. All in all, it's fine, and slightly exceeded my expectations. Expand
  22. May 27, 2014
    Being a moderate fan of the books, which is a brilliant series, the adaptation differs enough that it loses the charm the books possess. The choices of actors were mediocre at best, painful at worst. And no real acting talent whatsoever, save for Fregley. It takes bravery to be typecast in those roles.
  23. Sep 27, 2013
    Although this movie goes into Napoleon Dynamite levels of kid gloving (No middle-schoolers say darn), this movie is very relevant to how a kid might feel when he's arrogant, not popular, and hasn't hit puberty. So, kudos to the filmmakers for getting that aspect right.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Freer
    Fun, funny and affectionate, though it packs the emotional wallop of an undernourished high school nerd.
  2. Reviewed by: Ella Taylor
    Sweet and funny at either end, but in between, it sags with endless repetition of gross bodily functions.
  3. Does a great job of being in two places at once: In the head and gangly bodies of kids, and in the hearts of those of us who have survived grades 6-8.