Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: March 19, 2010
6.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 104 Ratings
Watch Now
heyitsmegrif4Dec 30, 2011
It is cliche, but it is also very funny and sometimes touching. Oh but it isn't good enough to recommend to adults but it is a solid experience in the movie theater. I give this movie 73%.
robguy222Sep 4, 2011
I loved this movie and knew there was gonna be a sequel! I think this was a great movie! Thanks to everyone out there that made the movie! Very entertaining movie. I'm not a long writer so i'm done!
KarenP.Mar 21, 2010
Fantastic movie! The cast - especially the kid actors were great, the jokes were actually funny and the movie has the saem charm as the book had. And the movie did a goof job of putting in the drawings from the book. Book fans will love Fantastic movie! The cast - especially the kid actors were great, the jokes were actually funny and the movie has the saem charm as the book had. And the movie did a goof job of putting in the drawings from the book. Book fans will love that. This is an awesome movie for kids in a long while, very entertaining and of course, a lot of fun. Expand
2 of 3 users found this helpful
SamS.Mar 19, 2010
Great movie, very entertaining and fun for the whole family....Great acting, especially the kid who played Greg Heffley, he was so believable. The fat kid Rowley was like a "dufus. Probably like that in real life. The rest of the cast did an Great movie, very entertaining and fun for the whole family....Great acting, especially the kid who played Greg Heffley, he was so believable. The fat kid Rowley was like a "dufus. Probably like that in real life. The rest of the cast did an excellent job. Good fun for anyone of any age. Expand
3 of 5 users found this helpful
JamesM.Mar 20, 2010
Very entertaining i was very shocked i thought it would be bad but it wasn't it was awesome great cast 1 word amazing :)
AveryL.Mar 20, 2010
I thought Diary of a whimpy kid the movie was better than the book because the people are real and I think Rowley did the bet acting next to Greg.
HollySMar 26, 2010
This movie is just a realistic celebration of how funny childhood can be, especially from a boy's point of view. I also like that the Protagonist is kind of an anti-hero. It's not The Hangover, but I found myself laughing outloud This movie is just a realistic celebration of how funny childhood can be, especially from a boy's point of view. I also like that the Protagonist is kind of an anti-hero. It's not The Hangover, but I found myself laughing outloud through the entire movie. To me, this franchise rivals Harry Potter for telling stories about kids. Expand
RickAMar 25, 2010
Dittos on Good movie for all the family Also dittos on good acting .. Reminded me of an updated leave it to beaver type of theme. Fun clean entertainment.
shepardnSep 3, 2010
was a good movie that you can watch with the family. i would add it to my movie library. rowley in my book was the best actor of the flick. good all around flick was not to funny was not sad. no love story involved unless u count best fiendwas a good movie that you can watch with the family. i would add it to my movie library. rowley in my book was the best actor of the flick. good all around flick was not to funny was not sad. no love story involved unless u count best fiend love.. and i thought the story line was unusual so i give it a 7 out of 10 Expand
MovieLonely94Jan 5, 2011
It wasn't my favorite movie of the year, but good thing the comedy saved the entire movie.
blagoongaOct 16, 2010
Diary of a Wimpy Kid rocks!! Zach Gordon and Robert Capron form a great duo, and I loved Chloe Moretz. All the other stars were nothing, especially Rodrick! The plot is amazing, and the dialogue was even better! I hope all of the books become films.
gm101Mar 7, 2011
I'm a 19 year old college student, and admittedly, I love reading the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series! This movie was a good adaptation of the first book, although I wish the sequels would be more faithful to the books.
TheQuietGamerJun 20, 2012
Funny with a good cast. It teaches kids to just be themselves, and not to think too highly of themselves. It's also got a lot of charm. The actors really bring the whole thing to life. A great movie for kids that parents will also like.
MichaelDFeb 5, 2012
I love reading the books but I have to admit the movie didn't live up to my expectations. It isn't the worst I've ever seen but definitely not the best either.
ZilcellNov 15, 2011
Great film. It seems to follow the novel but it is even better than I expected it to be. I liked the acting which really made the story and characters convincing.
Tss5078Aug 1, 2016
Like most adults, I was under the impression that the wimpy kid series was nothing more than the latest fad in youth literature to hit the big screen. I figured it was just another kids movie and passed it off as such, but recently at aLike most adults, I was under the impression that the wimpy kid series was nothing more than the latest fad in youth literature to hit the big screen. I figured it was just another kids movie and passed it off as such, but recently at a family event, I was forced to see parts of it and found it interesting, so I queued it up and as it turns out, this film was legitimately funny! Greg Heffley (Zachary Gordon) is about to start middle school, where all he wants to do is become popular, like his older brother was. Greg goes to extremes and displays some very odd behavior, as he and his best friend, try to enter the elite club of popularity. What's really interesting about these films are that most of the cast members have limited to no experience what-so-ever before being cast in a major motion picture. Some of them, like Gordon, are really talented, while others like Robert Capron are just awkward kids, who are just naturally funny in the way they carry themselves. The dynamics of a family film are always a very difficult thing, because if you don't take a few risks, it's a kids movie that the adults with be bored with. On the other hand, if you go too far, the film will get a PG-13, which means the kids won't be allowed to see it and your audience becomes very limited. The writers of Diary of a Wimpy Kid found the magic formula however, as they managed to create a cult classic, that is fun for kids, teens, and adults alike. The film has it moments and at least a few things that every single one of us can relate to. It certainly isn't goodfellas, but I thought this film was a lot of fun, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually looking forward to checking out the sequels. Expand
ZombieAxeHeroSep 8, 2014
As a fan of the original books, I was really looking forward to seeing this movie, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I'm not going to say it accurately represents life in middle school (let's face it: nothing can really get that right),As a fan of the original books, I was really looking forward to seeing this movie, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I'm not going to say it accurately represents life in middle school (let's face it: nothing can really get that right), but I can say that the life of Greg Heffley is one life that I'm glad to watch unfold before my eyes.

The story follows the events of the first book in the series, showing how Greg Heffley deals with life now that he's in the sixth grade, having to deal with trying to become popular while dealing with his best friend Rowley Jefferson, his screwball family (particularly his jackass older brother Rodrick), his nemesis Patty Farrell, and Fregley who has to be the weirdest kid I've ever seen in fiction. Needless to say, some liberties were taken when turning the book into a movie, but I think those liberties worked out well. No major events are taken out, but they have been rearranged slightly. What I really like is what they did with the characters. Greg is pretty much exactly the same as he was in the book along with most of the other characters, but there have been a few changes which I liked. Rowley isn't quite as gullible as he is in the book and doesn't let Greg push him around so much, and making Patty Farrell Greg's nemesis when she was just a minor annoyance in the book is a very welcome idea. The only character I didn't like was one they made up for the movie, Angie Steadman. Not really from a personality standpoint, but more due to the fact that she doesn't really have a point in being there at all. Minor complaint, but I think they could have run the movie without her and no one would notice. The movie,however, keeps the focus where it should be: Greg's mishaps in middle school and his friendship with Rowley. Can't ask for much more than that.

The casting for this movie is ideal. Zachary Gordon is great as Greg and so is Robert Capron as Rowley. A lot of people complain that Greg is kind of unlikable as a main character (though that would be more the fault of the book than the movie), and yeah, I will agree that his hairbrain schemes and how he just pushes Rowley around can get very irritating, but that's how a lot of boys his age are. He's just a wimpy kid, but this wimpy kid and his movie shouldn't be passed up, especially if you enjoyed the original books like I did.

Oh, and ZOO-WEE, MAMA!!!
M0vieAddictMay 9, 2013
Unfortunately the first 'Diary Of A Wimpy Kid' strays too far away from it's best characters. Rodrick, Frank Heffley and Rowley would shine if given more light and room to explore. This is a solid movie as the humor and laid-back attitude goUnfortunately the first 'Diary Of A Wimpy Kid' strays too far away from it's best characters. Rodrick, Frank Heffley and Rowley would shine if given more light and room to explore. This is a solid movie as the humor and laid-back attitude go hand in hand, but Greg Heffley becomes extremely big headed, leaving nothing but a sour taste in the mouth of this fan. Luckily this can be overlooked by the extremely brilliant (mostly unexperienced cast) who play their parts well with what they have. Expand
FreedomFightersNov 23, 2016
In 2010, my 6th grade self was a gigantic fan of the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" books, so much so that I read through the series (Books 1-4, since those were the only ones back then) three times in my 6th grade year. Getting me to read throughIn 2010, my 6th grade self was a gigantic fan of the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" books, so much so that I read through the series (Books 1-4, since those were the only ones back then) three times in my 6th grade year. Getting me to read through one whole book is never easy, but reading four books three times in one school year? That's when you know you're doing something right! And as soon as the movie was announced, I HAD to see it. So, I did. And I don't regret it. Even with creative liberties, it feels like the book, it's got the same great characters, it's pretty funny and it's pretty solidly-acted considering all the lead stars are kids. You might not get the same enjoyment out of it if you didn't read the books, but all in all, "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" is a fun watch that should leave you walking away satisfied. Expand
KooledudNov 17, 2014
good movie, but the stuff in the movie is very different from the book. And the parts in the movie are out of order, but it is funny and great. and it is very boring in the beginning but gets better. 9/10 on this movie.
SonicDudeNov 14, 2015
A movie that will make you wanna watch the sequels. The movie itself is lively, has a good sense of humor, A well thought story, amazing acting, and fun for all ages. The one major lag of the movie is that three quarters of the movie is basedA movie that will make you wanna watch the sequels. The movie itself is lively, has a good sense of humor, A well thought story, amazing acting, and fun for all ages. The one major lag of the movie is that three quarters of the movie is based on the book but maybe with detail and a few changes hear and there. It's movie for all ages and you will be more than satisfied. Expand
gameguardian21Mar 20, 2016
This movie is so true in many ways. It tells how a boy who observes middle school as some type of trouble, boring, and a mess, which is true. Plus the main character, greg, is really relatable.
FuturedirectorApr 17, 2016
A marvelous cast that easily lives up Jeff Kinney's classic characters of his bestseller; a funny (and surprisingly entertaining) storytelling and a witty conclusion that will leave young viewers thinking about school days.