6.4

1. Dec 30, 2011
    It is cliche, but it is also very funny and sometimes touching. Oh but it isn't good enough to recommend to adults but it is a solid experience in the movie theater. I give this movie 73%.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    It's a lot like the book and was better then I thought but for me left out a few key bits from the book but don't buy it, rent it The diary of a wimpy kid 6.5/10
  3. Jan 5, 2015
    firts off, that preview picture is SOOF AKE i can see him right there yor not trikling me i can see him he doesn't look like that hes not there or holly either what your just gonna walk in? diary of a pig made me hate that one thing for seconts, 3th, i really dont think high scool goes like that im in highn scool right now and evry time i cannot find a good reason to tell you the moviefirts off, that preview picture is SOOF AKE i can see him right there yor not trikling me i can see him he doesn't look like that hes not there or holly either what your just gonna walk in? diary of a pig made me hate that one thing for seconts, 3th, i really dont think high scool goes like that im in highn scool right now and evry time i cannot find a good reason to tell you the movie there to watch the movier! NEVER AGAIN I SWEAR! Expand
  4. KarenP.
    Mar 21, 2010
    Fantastic movie! The cast - especially the kid actors were great, the jokes were actually funny and the movie has the saem charm as the book had. And the movie did a goof job of putting in the drawings from the book. Book fans will love that. This is an awesome movie for kids in a long while, very entertaining and of course, a lot of fun.
  5. SamS.
    Mar 19, 2010
    Great movie, very entertaining and fun for the whole family....Great acting, especially the kid who played Greg Heffley, he was so believable. The fat kid Rowley was like a "dufus. Probably like that in real life. The rest of the cast did an excellent job. Good fun for anyone of any age.
  6. JamesM.
    Mar 20, 2010
    Very entertaining i was very shocked i thought it would be bad but it wasn't it was awesome great cast 1 word amazing :)
  7. AveryL.
    Mar 20, 2010
    I thought Diary of a whimpy kid the movie was better than the book because the people are real and I think Rowley did the bet acting next to Greg.
  8. HollyS
    Mar 26, 2010
    This movie is just a realistic celebration of how funny childhood can be, especially from a boy's point of view. I also like that the Protagonist is kind of an anti-hero. It's not The Hangover, but I found myself laughing outloud through the entire movie. To me, this franchise rivals Harry Potter for telling stories about kids.
  9. RickA
    Mar 25, 2010
    Dittos on Good movie for all the family Also dittos on good acting .. Reminded me of an updated leave it to beaver type of theme. Fun clean entertainment.
  10. Sep 3, 2010
    was a good movie that you can watch with the family. i would add it to my movie library. rowley in my book was the best actor of the flick. good all around flick was not to funny was not sad. no love story involved unless u count best fiend love.. and i thought the story line was unusual so i give it a 7 out of 10
  11. Jan 5, 2011
    It wasn't my favorite movie of the year, but good thing the comedy saved the entire movie.
  12. Nov 6, 2010
    It gives me great pain to give this film a one. Not that I feel sorry for it, just that I can't leave any zeros. This was a HUGE disappointment. For one thing, Greg in the book (the real genius) is supposed to be 13!!! The actor is like 7! I'm sure anyone could have been a better actor for Greg. ANYONE!! Left stuff out, added CRAP in. Wow! Congratulations FOX, you just brought out aIt gives me great pain to give this film a one. Not that I feel sorry for it, just that I can't leave any zeros. This was a HUGE disappointment. For one thing, Greg in the book (the real genius) is supposed to be 13!!! The actor is like 7! I'm sure anyone could have been a better actor for Greg. ANYONE!! Left stuff out, added CRAP in. Wow! Congratulations FOX, you just brought out a stinker! Oh, by the way, THANK YOU, MikeJ., for your words of wisdom! Expand
  13. Oct 16, 2010
    Diary of a Wimpy Kid rocks!! Zach Gordon and Robert Capron form a great duo, and I loved Chloe Moretz. All the other stars were nothing, especially Rodrick! The plot is amazing, and the dialogue was even better! I hope all of the books become films.
  14. KateY.
    Apr 2, 2010
    The whole family went to the movie and all of us were dissipointed. After the first half hour of the movie you start to like Rowley and hating greg. Left out characters and put new ones in. And my son had an nightmare about the cheese. One of the worst movies i saw,I only liked Rowley and Manny.
  15. Dec 15, 2011
    This movie was decent, but it could of had a lot of improvement, the plot was good but the acting and the script just did not flow well with my point of view, THE SECOND ONE IS BETTER
  16. ChadS.
    Mar 20, 2010
    Two boys in a crowded cafeteria, amidst a galaxy of cliques, the slightly cooler kid surveys the lunchroom, then glances back at his pal with new eyes. "Try to look like you're having fun," begs Kevin Arnold(Fred Savage) to his nerdy seatmate Paul(Paul Sorvino), because he knows that his middle school social life depends on it. Winnie Cooper was taking algebra in 1967, now she has Two boys in a crowded cafeteria, amidst a galaxy of cliques, the slightly cooler kid surveys the lunchroom, then glances back at his pal with new eyes. "Try to look like you're having fun," begs Kevin Arnold(Fred Savage) to his nerdy seatmate Paul(Paul Sorvino), because he knows that his middle school social life depends on it. Winnie Cooper was taking algebra in 1967, now she has her own math theorem. In 2010, the cafeteria is even more ofl a battlefield, and Greg Heffley(Zachary Gordon) would like a little help from his best friend Rowley(Robert Capron) in manufacturing wonder years out of their journey through intermediate school. Unfortunately, Rowley lacks the guile to conform with the herd; he believes that you should "come as you are", so the accidental iconoclast comes to school on a girl's bike with pink tassels in full-blown Guatamalan regalia. But nobody kicks his ass because "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" is no dollhouse: the improbable junior high has no mean girls to ostracize this rotund misfit. Greg, always hatching new plans to rule the school, would have left Rowley in the dust had he any athletic talent or marketable attribute to impress the adolescent jetset. When the two boys "play"(Rowley-speak for "hang out"), Greg is always the quartrback. It's made clear that he assizes the protocol in their day-to-day affiliation together, where he's the leader and his protege is the follower. Through a chance occurence, however, Rowley becomes popular, on his own terms, in which it's cool to dance with your mom at a school function, and a dorky punchline for a comic strip becomes an infectious catch-phrase in the hallways. "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" is harmless, innocuous fun, perfect for its demographic, but it does give tweeners the wrong impression about the societal actualities of teenaged girls and boys. If you show up to class in a "serape", having the "cheese touch" will be the least of your problems. They'll call you "Wiener Dog" for the rest of your middle school life, but you just might grow up to be Marilyn Manson. Expand
  17. Sep 1, 2010
    Saw this film on a flight (sadly a captive audience), when I say "saw" I mean pulled out the headphones & started reading a book after 20 minutes or so.
    The acting was poor, the story was not engaging (as a 29 year old man I'm not really the target audience though), there was nothing in the film to make me want to watch it.
    Now I know it's based on a book & perhaps it's a better read
    Now I know it's based on a book & perhaps it's a better read (hopefully without the stupid "cheese" angle), But this film is to me far from watchable for an adult, even children on the plane showed little to no interest in the film.
  18. MikeJ.
    Mar 25, 2010
    I took my son to see this movie as he is a fan of the books. Funny thing is, at 5 years old, even he hated this movie as much as i did. He was sitting there whinning "can we go home" the whole time. The movie has no humor and was a waste of time. This was the first time i ever left the theater before the movie was over. Do not see this with your kids as it is bad. Your whole family will hate it.
  19. Nov 15, 2010
    one of the wors films ive seen i was being kind to give it a 2 i wanted to give it a one its gets worse as the film goes on it was a waste of money i have no idea what roger ebert was thinking giving it 88 he must have been drunk
  20. Dec 25, 2012
    This is the worst movie ever and i regret ever seeing this movie. This is worse than Despicable Me. Omigod this movie made me feel like i was the stupid wimp. Thank jesus i am not one. This movie had very many STUPID parts, including the stupid cheese touch. i hate to say this but @*#^%&@*()^)!#*&^%&@!^%#)&*(@#*%)^ %&*#%^*(&%%%@#%&&^#%@)&#%^&#*(%^@#()^%&)#!%*!@(#&*%^!@&# all at once.
  21. Mar 7, 2011
    I'm a 19 year old college student, and admittedly, I love reading the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series! This movie was a good adaptation of the first book, although I wish the sequels would be more faithful to the books.
  22. Jun 20, 2012
    Funny with a good cast. It teaches kids to just be themselves, and not to think too highly of themselves. It's also got a lot of charm. The actors really bring the whole thing to life. A great movie for kids that parents will also like.
  23. Feb 5, 2012
    I love reading the books but I have to admit the movie didn't live up to my expectations. It isn't the worst I've ever seen but definitely not the best either.
  24. May 29, 2011
    The best example that for to make laugh doesnâ
  25. Sep 4, 2011
    I loved this movie and knew there was gonna be a sequel! I think this was a great movie! Thanks to everyone out there that made the movie! Very entertaining movie. I'm not a long writer so i'm done!
  26. Nov 15, 2011
    Great film. It seems to follow the novel but it is even better than I expected it to be. I liked the acting which really made the story and characters convincing.
  27. Dec 28, 2012
    This made me laugh once or twice, and it didn't make me mad. But it still harks upon other influential teen movies a bit too much for it to become worth watching.
  28. Nov 11, 2012
    Obviously not made for adults, but I think the biggest disconnect for this Wimpy Kid movie and the others to follow is the main character and family. In the wildly successful books, the Wimpy Kid is not illustrated or given a distinct face and so the reader can create one in their own mind. ON the screen that face is no longer imagined and may not match the reader's conception. I didn'tObviously not made for adults, but I think the biggest disconnect for this Wimpy Kid movie and the others to follow is the main character and family. In the wildly successful books, the Wimpy Kid is not illustrated or given a distinct face and so the reader can create one in their own mind. ON the screen that face is no longer imagined and may not match the reader's conception. I didn't find the movie cute nor identifiable to my youth. Expand
  29. Mar 29, 2013
    The story is completely different, and doesn't provide the humour that the series has always delivered so well. The characters are hard to like. Rowley in particular is extremely annoying and there's really no reason to like the characters. Moments of emotional weight however did succeed in trying to grab me, and if you can ignore the changed plot, find a few funny moments with theThe story is completely different, and doesn't provide the humour that the series has always delivered so well. The characters are hard to like. Rowley in particular is extremely annoying and there's really no reason to like the characters. Moments of emotional weight however did succeed in trying to grab me, and if you can ignore the changed plot, find a few funny moments with the characters, and ignore Rowley, then you may possibly enjoy the movie for the first time. I just can't promise that you will. Expand
  30. Sep 8, 2014
    As a fan of the original books, I was really looking forward to seeing this movie, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I'm not going to say it accurately represents life in middle school (let's face it: nothing can really get that right), but I can say that the life of Greg Heffley is one life that I'm glad to watch unfold before my eyes.

The story follows the events of the first book

The story follows the events of the first book in the series, showing how Greg Heffley deals with life now that he's in the sixth grade, having to deal with trying to become popular while dealing with his best friend Rowley Jefferson, his screwball family (particularly his jackass older brother Rodrick), his nemesis Patty Farrell, and Fregley who has to be the weirdest kid I've ever seen in fiction. Needless to say, some liberties were taken when turning the book into a movie, but I think those liberties worked out well. No major events are taken out, but they have been rearranged slightly. What I really like is what they did with the characters. Greg is pretty much exactly the same as he was in the book along with most of the other characters, but there have been a few changes which I liked. Rowley isn't quite as gullible as he is in the book and doesn't let Greg push him around so much, and making Patty Farrell Greg's nemesis when she was just a minor annoyance in the book is a very welcome idea. The only character I didn't like was one they made up for the movie, Angie Steadman. Not really from a personality standpoint, but more due to the fact that she doesn't really have a point in being there at all. Minor complaint, but I think they could have run the movie without her and no one would notice. The movie,however, keeps the focus where it should be: Greg's mishaps in middle school and his friendship with Rowley. Can't ask for much more than that.

The casting for this movie is ideal. Zachary Gordon is great as Greg and so is Robert Capron as Rowley. A lot of people complain that Greg is kind of unlikable as a main character (though that would be more the fault of the book than the movie), and yeah, I will agree that his hairbrain schemes and how he just pushes Rowley around can get very irritating, but that's how a lot of boys his age are. He's just a wimpy kid, but this wimpy kid and his movie shouldn't be passed up, especially if you enjoyed the original books like I did.

Oh, and ZOO-WEE, MAMA!!!
  31. May 9, 2013
    Unfortunately the first 'Diary Of A Wimpy Kid' strays too far away from it's best characters. Rodrick, Frank Heffley and Rowley would shine if given more light and room to explore. This is a solid movie as the humor and laid-back attitude go hand in hand, but Greg Heffley becomes extremely big headed, leaving nothing but a sour taste in the mouth of this fan. Luckily this can be overlookedUnfortunately the first 'Diary Of A Wimpy Kid' strays too far away from it's best characters. Rodrick, Frank Heffley and Rowley would shine if given more light and room to explore. This is a solid movie as the humor and laid-back attitude go hand in hand, but Greg Heffley becomes extremely big headed, leaving nothing but a sour taste in the mouth of this fan. Luckily this can be overlooked by the extremely brilliant (mostly unexperienced cast) who play their parts well with what they have. Expand
  32. Jul 9, 2013
    While I'm not a huge fan of the book, the movies seems to display its themes, with a young teenage point of view working to maybe the younger audiences in the crowd. It's not incredibly dumb either, as it has elements of bullying in as well. Although it's not the best, as the book appealed to kids more than it would to adults, but fans of the book will enjoy the roles of their favoriteWhile I'm not a huge fan of the book, the movies seems to display its themes, with a young teenage point of view working to maybe the younger audiences in the crowd. It's not incredibly dumb either, as it has elements of bullying in as well. Although it's not the best, as the book appealed to kids more than it would to adults, but fans of the book will enjoy the roles of their favorite characters on the big screen. All in all, it's fine, and slightly exceeded my expectations. Expand
  33. May 27, 2014
    Being a moderate fan of the books, which is a brilliant series, the adaptation differs enough that it loses the charm the books possess. The choices of actors were mediocre at best, painful at worst. And no real acting talent whatsoever, save for Fregley. It takes bravery to be typecast in those roles.
  34. Sep 27, 2013
    Although this movie goes into Napoleon Dynamite levels of kid gloving (No middle-schoolers say darn), this movie is very relevant to how a kid might feel when he's arrogant, not popular, and hasn't hit puberty. So, kudos to the filmmakers for getting that aspect right.
  35. Nov 17, 2014
    good movie, but the stuff in the movie is very different from the book. And the parts in the movie are out of order, but it is funny and great. and it is very boring in the beginning but gets better. 9/10 on this movie.
  36. Dec 25, 2014
    Diary Of A wimpy Kid is an entertaining movie.Join Greg Heffley as he goes to middle school where he faces lots of problems and lot's of bullies.Diary Of A wimpy Kid is cliche but still entertains us,It's a good movie to watch with your family.
  37. Apr 22, 2015
    an ok movie to an good book. the films ending is way better then the other 1 hour or so to the film. the charter where ok maybe the acting was ok everything was just ok.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Freer
    Fun, funny and affectionate, though it packs the emotional wallop of an undernourished high school nerd.
  2. Reviewed by: Ella Taylor
    Sweet and funny at either end, but in between, it sags with endless repetition of gross bodily functions.
  3. Does a great job of being in two places at once: In the head and gangly bodies of kids, and in the hearts of those of us who have survived grades 6-8.