Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: July 15, 1988
5.4
Mixed or average reviews based on 632 Ratings
WATCH NOW
JuanoloApr 2, 2012
First off, I would give this a 9.5 out of 10. Acting is great. The villian is great, and Bruce Willis is awesome. The story is really good, and the score is really good. The action sequences are great. This is such a great, intense, actionFirst off, I would give this a 9.5 out of 10. Acting is great. The villian is great, and Bruce Willis is awesome. The story is really good, and the score is really good. The action sequences are great. This is such a great, intense, action movie. Overall, this is a great action movie. It's really good. You should go see it. Highly recommended. Expand
imthenoobDec 7, 2012
How can you not like Die Hard? As I said for First Blood, It's one of the best action movies of all time and is a must watch for all action film fans.
johnmcclaneJan 26, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is truly an piece of cinema. Bruce Willis was excellent as the perfect NYPD detective John McClane. That Hans Gruber got what was coming for him. Expand
MarcusL.Jan 5, 2009
The best of the four Die Hards. Bruce Willis as John McClain was great. /the action and humor made this movie great and the best Die Hard.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
marcmyworksDec 8, 2013
Not only one of the best action films of all time but also one of the best Christmas films of all times. I love that is also features Reginald VelJohnson from 'Family Matters' fame.
beingryanjudeAug 28, 2014
The ultimate Bruce Willis action-flick straight out of the 1980s. Die Hard is no doubt a roller coaster of thrills, but it is all a bit familiar. Nevertheless, Alan Rickman's villainous portrayal will long be remembered.
grandpajoe6191Sep 18, 2011
Director John McTiernan's "Die Hard" is one of those original one-man macho action movies that have brainless fun and a surprisingly deep character depth. It certainly is a masterpiece.
TheNewSpielbergApr 2, 2011
German terrorists, a skyscraper, Christmas Eve and LA. When these elements are combined, you get Die Hard, a 1988 rip-roaring action epic that shot Bruce Willis to international fame. The plot is delightfully simple; John McClane is a NewGerman terrorists, a skyscraper, Christmas Eve and LA. When these elements are combined, you get Die Hard, a 1988 rip-roaring action epic that shot Bruce Willis to international fame. The plot is delightfully simple; John McClane is a New York cop who is visiting his wife Holly in LA during Christmas Eve. He meets up with her at her business company's Christmas party. All goes well until a few uninvited guests in the form of creepy terrorists seize control of the building and take all 30 of the guests hostage, demanding a ransom. McClane, in the bathroom at their time of arrival, escapes into the unfinished skyscraper armed only with his standard issue 9mm at his disposal. His main objective; find out what the hell is going on. His only help is a flatfooted cop on the ground played by Reginald VelJohnson of Family Matters. Along the way, he is listening to radio messages between the villains with a stolen walkie talkie in an attempt to figure out their nefarious plan. Alan Rickman is great as Hans Gruber, leader of the baddies, and delivers a performance he echoes in the Harry Potter films as Prof. Severus Snape. One of the best movie villains of all time. This festival of explosions, guns and epic battles was directed by John McTiernan, famous already for the original Predator. He delivers a movie that entertains as well as it shocks. In particular, the sequence in which one of the hostages attempts to save his own life by offering McClane to the terrorists. Correctly anticipating a liar, Hans shoots him in the head. The film was one of the biggest box office hits of the 1980s and spawned three sequels throughout the 1990s and 2000s, firmly placing John McClane as an action hero alongside the Terminator and Rambo. Also, it is the best Christmas movie ever made. Expand
SachiNov 20, 2011
Die Hard is flat-out amazing, it is a great action movie that is nice for the holidays. The plot is great and Bruce Willis' acting is hands-down amazing along with the antogonists' acting, this creates for an intense and gripping movie. TheDie Hard is flat-out amazing, it is a great action movie that is nice for the holidays. The plot is great and Bruce Willis' acting is hands-down amazing along with the antogonists' acting, this creates for an intense and gripping movie. The dialogue is all great and I kept wanting to know what would happen next as it is that intense. The violence and action is well-played out and very entertaining, it is a great watch. The flaws are that the story sometimes slows down and this can be annoying but this happens rarely and is uncommon. Overall "Die Hard" is a great movie that action junkies must watch as well as a great entertainment fix for anyone that watches it. Breakdown for "Die Hard": Presentation: 9.2, Plot: 9.0, Acting: 9.5, Dialogue: 8.7, Lasting Appeal: 9.2, Verdict: 9.1 out of 10 "Amazing" Expand
LoRevisorFeb 25, 2015
Em 1988 um ano após o excelente filme policial Máquina Mortífera,Era criado mais um excelente filme e franquia policial com ótimas sequências.
Duro De Matar um suspense de ação,Arrasador cheio de ação e com excelentes atuações do até então novato Bruce Willis,Alan Rickman incrível como o antagonista Hans Gruber,Reginald VelJohnson como Al Power,e Bonnie Bedelia como Holly GeNerro.
MovieGuysSep 15, 2013
In 1988, when Die Hard came out, my parents and a family friend went to see it in New York City in a big theater. The movie was so crowded, they all did not even get to sit together. (And I don't even think it was opening weekend!) Take thatIn 1988, when Die Hard came out, my parents and a family friend went to see it in New York City in a big theater. The movie was so crowded, they all did not even get to sit together. (And I don't even think it was opening weekend!) Take that into consideration for how big a movie this was back then and still is.

Die Hard is the best action movie, and probably my favorite movie, with a close second or tie with The Shawshank Redemption.

Die Hard combines well-executed action scenes with cheesy but iconic one-liners and a great main character. As sarcastic, profane, and messed up John McClane is, you have to find yourself rooting for him.

Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman, and Bonnie Bedelia, Reginald Veljohnson, and many others will have their acting skills defined by this movie forever. After all, it definitely gave a career boost to some, although Willis already had a nice acting resume on his plate. Nevertheless, it redefined the whole genre.

Action movies consist of a bunch of key elements that come together to form a coherent picture. (At least I hope it will be coherent, as some tend to fail at this process.) They combine action scenes (obviously), at least a couple one-liners, a car (there's always a car or some kind of vehicle), a villain, and usually an explosion or two. Or three. All of these elements and many more were all in Die Hard, and it kind of changed the genre for good. You will hear people say "Oh, that movie is a Die Hard rip-off", or "That stunt was first made famous in Die Hard." It's not that action movies didn't have these elements before Die Hard, it's just that Die Hard made them better and/or famous.

Die Hard will keep you on the edge of your seat, and is an extremely well-done picture that doesn't lag or slow down at all. It eases into the action in such a way that it feels natural and not forced or unnecessary.
JamesM.Dec 20, 2005
Absolute garbage. Andrew M., yes, I did enjoy it, when I first saw it when I was 8. Quite a few years down the track, now that I am past puberty, I find to to be trash.
4 of 29 users found this helpful
JaredC.Aug 12, 2007
Bruce Willis, well done, your humor is flowing with the character and makes everyone in the audience at least smile, laugh, or find it funny.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
ArkonBladeOct 27, 2010
just a fun film thats over the top and the king of 80s action films . bruce willis comes off as the every man who is **** , funny , and just in over his head but just plods on through this fun action packed adventure .
muzzikloverMar 6, 2011
An action film at it's peak finesse and a perfect Christmas movie. Action; absolutely awesome, acting; memorable and quotable- need I say more about this film? It is too damn good to give it the highest praise.
DinozzoJun 24, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It may look like a stupid action movie to judgmental snobs, but if you payed attention and/or read the book you would be see the depth of this movie, from John doing quick scan of all the empty floors as he's escaping from the terrorists at the beginning of the movie, to the genuine look of horror in Alan Rickman's eyes as he falls. Expand
dyshpoJul 30, 2013
Best movie of the hostage action shooter movie cool fast hitting scope and range u actually feel the chemistry between the characters and cast not like some recant bull
LaMagiadeVirueAug 16, 2013
La mejor película de acción de la historia. No hay mucho mas para decir, solamente que es una sinfonía de Bethoven la película. Que buen rato pasé mirándola por primera vez, así que decidí verla de nuevo y me puso los pelos de punta con losLa mejor película de acción de la historia. No hay mucho mas para decir, solamente que es una sinfonía de Bethoven la película. Que buen rato pasé mirándola por primera vez, así que decidí verla de nuevo y me puso los pelos de punta con los tiros. Un lujo. Expand
drlowdonApr 12, 2014
It may be more than 25 years old now but, thanks to its perfect mix of humour and spectacular action sequences, Die Hard remains the greatest action movie of all time.
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
Die Hard has to be one of the greatest Christmas movies of all time the fact that its also a brilliant action film makes it absolutely amazing. Of course this is the best Die Hard in the franchise and after you watch the newest one it makesDie Hard has to be one of the greatest Christmas movies of all time the fact that its also a brilliant action film makes it absolutely amazing. Of course this is the best Die Hard in the franchise and after you watch the newest one it makes you love this movie even more but also sad to see how the franchise dwindled. Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman are phenomenal together they brought both of their characters to life with their amazing acting to a point where you want to root for both of them to win. Bruce Willis as John McClane was so enjoyable because of how real the character felt rather then a normal super hero main character that you dont care for they made him just a regular guy so that you connect more with him then you would with a emotionless main guy out for blood like many movies in this genre. Die Hard was Alan Rickman's first movie and what an impression he made with his slick acting as the main villain Hans Gruber a guy you start to love throughout because of how cold and calculating he is. He later went on to be in many high profile movies and is now one of my favorite actors.

Overall i give it a solid 10 This is for sure the best Christmas action movie of all time i dont care what anyone says. I watched it when i was young and i plan to watch it when im old no doubt about that.
heeldavidJul 5, 2014
One of the best action films of all time, Bruce Willis puts on a very charismatic performance. Alan Rickman also puts on a nice villainous performance
SkyrimGuy935Sep 28, 2014
I love me an action classic. And Die Hard is the definition of that. One of the most relatable main characters ever, gunfights that will have you on the edge of your seat, and, for lack of better words, a f*cking awesome villain. And let'sI love me an action classic. And Die Hard is the definition of that. One of the most relatable main characters ever, gunfights that will have you on the edge of your seat, and, for lack of better words, a f*cking awesome villain. And let's not forget John's good old catchphrase. Yippe-Ki-Yay mother f*cker!

9.8/10
raciocinioOct 21, 2015
I Don't Understand???? This the first one of Die Hard Series is 10000x times better than the second,and the second have a better score of user, what is the problem with this....
Zanessa250QIApr 4, 2016
.........................................................................................................Have so much Graceless PUBLIC that vote in Metacritic that i think WTF???....

5.6/10 For this classic, the people who do it is

5.6/10 For this classic, the people who do it is Graceless or Idiot, only these two things
talisencrwAug 13, 2016
Just watched this inexplicably for the first time, after having seen and adoring its first two sequels. As a teenager when this hit theatres, I never really felt the urge or inclination to see this at the time. Action films weren't big for meJust watched this inexplicably for the first time, after having seen and adoring its first two sequels. As a teenager when this hit theatres, I never really felt the urge or inclination to see this at the time. Action films weren't big for me back then. Now as a father of a teenager myself, it's interesting seeing what's now considered 'a classic' for the first time.

This easily deserves its lofty status as one of the finest action movies ever made, especially of the 80's. Alan Rickman, now deceased, played with distinction one of the finest cinematic villains ever. This film--closely followed by 'Pulp Fiction'--is the most important work Bruce Willis ever made.

I enthusiastically hope that should someday Willis either leave this plain or decide not to make any more DH films that they simply put the franchise to rest. He was born to play this character. Anyone else in his shoes could never fit the iconic bill.
Iserlohn14Dec 18, 2016
Let's not mince words, this is one of the best Christmas movies ever. "Fists with your toes!" Seeing young Bruce Willis again after all these years is always a laugh, but he really sells the "everyman" role well, and his scenes with his wifeLet's not mince words, this is one of the best Christmas movies ever. "Fists with your toes!" Seeing young Bruce Willis again after all these years is always a laugh, but he really sells the "everyman" role well, and his scenes with his wife are surprisingly moving too. An action movie with heart! Expand
PatrickB.Nov 23, 2007
One of the best Christmas movies ever made. Also one of the best action flicks ever made. Well thought out plot, with great dialog and character interaction. If you think about it, there hasn't been a better action movie made since. One of the best Christmas movies ever made. Also one of the best action flicks ever made. Well thought out plot, with great dialog and character interaction. If you think about it, there hasn't been a better action movie made since. It's arguable that it's the best ever as I can't think of one that rocks as much as this while staying realistic. I'd be amazed if Hollywood ever tops it. Expand
CoreyJ.Jul 10, 2008
One of the best action movies ever made. I'm 22 and just saw it for the first time. I'm kind of a movie buff, and I'm interested in all genres. The people who bash this movie seem to be pretentious jackasses. Die Hard is what One of the best action movies ever made. I'm 22 and just saw it for the first time. I'm kind of a movie buff, and I'm interested in all genres. The people who bash this movie seem to be pretentious jackasses. Die Hard is what it is: an action movie. If features ridiculously large explosions, brawls that would leave any real human being dead or permanently crippled, and unbelievable stunts. Everything that's expected from an action movie, but it also has a bit of heart. You care about the characters and the villains are trite but still believable and not completely one-dimensional. Excellent acting. It also gives us one of the best movie lines ever: " Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker. Expand
[Anonymous]Feb 9, 2006
This action thriller relies as much on suspense as it does on action. No doubt this will entertain most anyone who watches it. And where else do you get an action film that doubles as a Christmas movie?
CoryH.Jul 4, 2006
Anyone watching Die Hard expecting philosophical expostion will be horribly dissapointed. Anybody who just wants to have a great time watching a good movie will get there just desserts. I have lost track of how many times I have seen this Anyone watching Die Hard expecting philosophical expostion will be horribly dissapointed. Anybody who just wants to have a great time watching a good movie will get there just desserts. I have lost track of how many times I have seen this flick, and truly don't even remember the first time since it has been so long, but I do know that I get a thrill out of watching it every single time! That is what makes a movie good. And John McTiernan, where o where have you gone? Expand
StevenSMar 9, 2007
Just really one of the greatest action movies ever made.
WilberforceFonn-TwentyOct 19, 2002
Greatest Action Film Ever (TM). Rickman's great. Bruce is great. McTiernan should be one of the biggest directors in Hollywood by now. It's one of the bestest films ever. Yes.
JanoJ.May 20, 2002
This is the best action movie I have evvvveeeeerrrr seen. Bruce Willis is a top notch actor and it really shows in this movie.
ThomasM.Jan 12, 2002
Kick ass, no bullsh*t, action film.
MichaelF.Aug 26, 2001
This is one of the best action films ever! For this film to get a 66 is just insulting!
RedversQ.Mesklin-ErosOct 19, 2002
It's rubbish "because of the police chief"? Thank you, Chigago Sun-Times (same people who said Full Metal Jacket was rubbish because of Stanley Kubrick's direction). Now go away. And don't come back. Ever.
JohnnyDangerAug 2, 2002
Simply the finest action movie ever architected.
PatC.Jan 13, 2004
Willis really does bring a crazy angst to the stereotypical role of Officer Doomsday Machine. Accepting that such action films must have an undercurrent of inept unreality, this one's OK entertainment.
AndrewM.May 10, 2004
Sure this film might have a few faults. Very minor faults. The question is: How many people can sit through this film and honestly say at the end that they did not enjoy it? Not many - and those who can must be mighty hard to please! It Sure this film might have a few faults. Very minor faults. The question is: How many people can sit through this film and honestly say at the end that they did not enjoy it? Not many - and those who can must be mighty hard to please! It might be farfecthed but all action films are; it should not be a criticism! There wouldn't have been a score of James Bond films made if that was the case! It's escapism, it's exciting visuals, it's thrills, it's simply fun! The bottom line is, as far as action films go, this is one of the very best! Collapse
MasternoFeb 20, 2011
This movie is absolutely awesome. Only idiots will deny it. If you didnt knew when this movie was made then you could have thought it was made in 2000 and up since its so awesome made.
hoops2448Dec 14, 2011
There is a reason that Die Hard is a classic and that's because it is just so very entertaining. It has a good story, a claustrophobic setting, a dynamic lead, wonderful villain and action that holds up even now, 23 years after its initialThere is a reason that Die Hard is a classic and that's because it is just so very entertaining. It has a good story, a claustrophobic setting, a dynamic lead, wonderful villain and action that holds up even now, 23 years after its initial release.
Sure it's a man's film but it doesn't try to be anything other than that. It does its job and in the process creates one of the best movie villains of all time. Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) is a terrific antagonist with everything from his demeanour to his delivery being spot on. He plays well off of Bonnie Bedelia who is great as the strong female presence of the film. Bruce Willis takes his place as one of the best action stars of this generation, taking the reigns from the likes of Stallone and Van Damme. It's a great movie.
Ven-WedeFeb 28, 2012
In spirit, this is the simple story of a man who saves Christmas; a kind of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians scenario, in which the greedy German terrorists are defeated by the noble and just bullets of Bruce Willis' MP5 - delivering theIn spirit, this is the simple story of a man who saves Christmas; a kind of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians scenario, in which the greedy German terrorists are defeated by the noble and just bullets of Bruce Willis' MP5 - delivering the meaning of sharing and caring right into their heads. Of course, trying to define Die Hard as nothing more than a hollow-day (!) movie would be doing it a great disservice. The characterisation of both McLane and Gruber (or Grinch - a coincidence? You decide) is done superbly by their respective actors. They draw you in with their personalities so well, that you find yourself cheering both of them on, just to see them continue to snap at each other. It's like a bizarro buddy-cop routine that took the 'good cop, bad cop' play a little too seriously. It's not incidental that the characters themselves often refer to cowboys and Westerns - this is a veritable wild-west duel, taken at a number of vertical paces rather than a standard back-to-back reflex test. That being said, however, some of the best moments are when McLane is just talking to himself, cracking wise while in the middle of a seemingly impossible situation. You don't have to convince anyone that you're a badass when you've just jumped off an exploding rooftop, Roy. You could try and make a case for the ending being cheesy and unnecessarily joyous, or that there are many implausible moments, but that would just be ill-spirited pedantry. This is action at its finest, and you better take what Mr. McTiernan gives you. There's no CGI or giant robots flying around - just good old-fashioned action, and it quickly becomes very obvious that films these days are just plain old doing it wrong. So sit back and plug in for two hours; you'll be yippie-kai-yaying in no time. Written for: www.webbinghaus.tumblr.com Expand
eTurkeyJul 25, 2012
Many critics have noted over the years that 'Die Hard' is one of the greatest action movies of all time. I would be partial to that sentiment to a certain degree. It isn't one of the best films ever made but it is top of its class in itsMany critics have noted over the years that 'Die Hard' is one of the greatest action movies of all time. I would be partial to that sentiment to a certain degree. It isn't one of the best films ever made but it is top of its class in its respective genre, which is good enough for me. Bruce Willis is a terrific hero but It's Hans Gruber (played by Alan Rickman) who is the standout character of the flick. He's simply everything you ever look for in an evil villain - and the accent only helps. If you're looking for a fantastic popcorn feature to enjoy then look no further. Expand
AllAroundGamerDec 25, 2012
This movie is great. Bruce Willis plays an amazing character in this one. He's very witty and funny. There are so many ups to this movie. I don't want to spoil it so I will just say get the DVD and watch it pronto. I am now going to watch theThis movie is great. Bruce Willis plays an amazing character in this one. He's very witty and funny. There are so many ups to this movie. I don't want to spoil it so I will just say get the DVD and watch it pronto. I am now going to watch the rest of the films in the series and waiting for the newest installment which comes out next year. Expand
TheMaximalistApr 10, 2013
This is the perfect action movie. Bruce Willis is the witty action hero every movie wishes it had and Alan Rickman the classy badass villain every movie wishes it had.
eagleeyevikingJan 1, 2014
Die Hard is popcorn entertainment at its finest with strong performances all around (including an iconic portrayal of Hans Gruber by Alan Rickman), witty dialogue, and terrific action sequences.
chiefwiggum2Sep 28, 2014
I may be young, but god, I LOVE the classics, especially this film. The action in the film had me on the edge of the sofa for the whole film, I just couldn't get my eyes away from the TV!
A great, funny and action packed film that I would
A great, funny and action packed film that I would definitely recommend watching!
BigZOct 25, 2014
This movie launched a whole new perspective on the hard hitting action hero. It's not pulsing with muscle like Arnold or Stallone. It's not suave and tact like James Bond. It is sloppy, gritty, and wise-cracking. Bruce Willis opens out aThis movie launched a whole new perspective on the hard hitting action hero. It's not pulsing with muscle like Arnold or Stallone. It's not suave and tact like James Bond. It is sloppy, gritty, and wise-cracking. Bruce Willis opens out a stage all his own with his role as John McClane. A normal NYPD cop visiting his wife in LA runs into a problem when a some bloodthirsty thieves break into the Nakatomi building (Mrs. McClane's work building and headquarters of the entire company) Lead by German master mind Hans, they take over the building with dozens of hostages including John inside while they plan to steal the company's wealth. He's just one man. And he looks pretty ordinary, but he quickly proves to be a problem for the bad guys. Bloody shootouts, hard nosed fight scenes, and clever Willis commentary. Any person who likes action films has to respect what has been done here. Simple as that. Due to the excessive blood, gore, and swears, the score has to be a little low. I also felt some of the hand to hand and gun fights were a bit choppy and chaotic more so than they needed to be. The local chief of police also seemed pretty stupid. That was kind of the point, but I think they made him a little too stupid and ignorant. But don't get me wrong, this is one of the best action movies on record. John McClane is one of my all-time favorite action heroes. Takes the genre to new levels. Props. Expand
vikesh2206Nov 10, 2014
StevesitzDec 15, 2014
Impossible for any action fan not to love. A great story that travels enough between different characters to keep it feeling exciting all the time. Action that is never too over the top that it's unbelievable. The movie is a little slow toImpossible for any action fan not to love. A great story that travels enough between different characters to keep it feeling exciting all the time. Action that is never too over the top that it's unbelievable. The movie is a little slow to start but it only to build the characters and it really pays off by the end. With a decent run time of just over 2 hours (depending on the version), I would highly recommend this action movie to anyone, extra so around the holiday season. Just be ready for a few 'F-bombs'... or maybe a lot of them. Expand
teddylukeApr 21, 2015
one of the best movies of all time it's that good. the action are amazing the charters are amazing the set felt real and not fake it just an amazing film.
DoubleOscarMay 18, 2015
Still one of the reigning action movies that all others movies of the genre aspire to be. This is the quintessential action movie. Skillfully directed, greatly paced, witty, and it brought us one of the most iconic action stars in John McClane.
lukechristianscJun 24, 2015
When John McClane is on the edge, it's entertaining for fans to enjoy seeing their cute up hero not give up also enjoying every word McClane says. The film has to the best villain in recent memory a hero can relate to, screenwriters JebWhen John McClane is on the edge, it's entertaining for fans to enjoy seeing their cute up hero not give up also enjoying every word McClane says. The film has to the best villain in recent memory a hero can relate to, screenwriters Jeb Stuart and Steven E. DeSouza do a pretty good job writing kick ass dialogue and creating intense scenes and a suspenseful story that's it's dialogue that crackles with wit. Director John McTiernan's directing was equally impressive it's impressive that he knows what he's doing behind the camera. Bruce Willis as John McClane was epic, he brings fantastic charisma to his character, he has a wildly epic sense of humor as McClane. Alan Rickman as the villain was cool. Grade A+ Expand
smiyamotNov 28, 2015
How can this film have such a low rating? It has action, a wise cracking hero, the hero's estranged wife, a top notch bad guy, an idiot police commander, the superior FBI agents, and the everyday beat cop who just wants to get home forHow can this film have such a low rating? It has action, a wise cracking hero, the hero's estranged wife, a top notch bad guy, an idiot police commander, the superior FBI agents, and the everyday beat cop who just wants to get home for Christmas. The movie is well structured with action interspersed with comedic dialog so it takes you on a real roller coaster. I don't buy a lot of DVDs but this one is a keeper! Expand
EpicLadySpongeFeb 3, 2016
Watch out, people. The bots attacked here. I sure wish I can bot a movie here... then I can go and bot my latest low score and give it so much disrespect.
SpangleMar 2, 2016
Many people love Die Hard. I, however, am not one of those people. Packed to the brim with bad ideology (anti-European and sexist) and action genre cliches, Die Hard is boring, derivative, and just generally predictable. Bruce Willis isMany people love Die Hard. I, however, am not one of those people. Packed to the brim with bad ideology (anti-European and sexist) and action genre cliches, Die Hard is boring, derivative, and just generally predictable. Bruce Willis is entertaining in the lead role, but beat-for-beat, I have seen this movie before many many times and that is excluding releases since 1988. The direction from John McTiernan is uninspired and he is practically invisible while his movie falls apart thanks to unrealistic sequences and being overlong. Honestly, this whole movie is pretty damn unrealistic. That being said, there are positives. Willis is charming, Alan Rickman is phenomenal, and the action is appropriately thrilling and largely well-directed. Those positives are enough for me to say Die Hard is middle of the road, but I do not really understand the acclaim. Expand
futurespielbergMar 9, 2016
This is absolutely my favorite movie of all time. Great action, awesome suspense,hilarious comedy, and some of the best one liners ever. This is easily Bruce Willis best movie, his character John McClane is one of the most relatable andThis is absolutely my favorite movie of all time. Great action, awesome suspense,hilarious comedy, and some of the best one liners ever. This is easily Bruce Willis best movie, his character John McClane is one of the most relatable and coolest action heroes ever. It also has one of best action movie villiain of all time Hans Gruber, played by the recently passed away Alan Rickman. All of the other supporting cast is amazing as well. For me Die Hard is not just my favorite action movie of all time, but its also my favorite film of all time, So Yipee Ky Yay!!!!!!!! Expand
FuturedirectorMar 11, 2016
This action-packed, completely thrilling and enjoyable film takes to the audience into the life of a real-life hero. This is also one of the not-many films worldwide, that deserves a great saga. Die Hard may be a well-made film with fantasticThis action-packed, completely thrilling and enjoyable film takes to the audience into the life of a real-life hero. This is also one of the not-many films worldwide, that deserves a great saga. Die Hard may be a well-made film with fantastic interpretations and even love. Fans will love this film. Expand
MovieMasterEddyApr 10, 2016
Die Hard is as high tech, rock hard and souped up as an action film can be, a suspenser [based on the novel Nothing Lasts Forever by Roderick Thorp] pitting a lone wolf cop against a group of terrorists that has taken over a highrise officeDie Hard is as high tech, rock hard and souped up as an action film can be, a suspenser [based on the novel Nothing Lasts Forever by Roderick Thorp] pitting a lone wolf cop against a group of terrorists that has taken over a highrise office tower.

Bruce Willis plays John McClane, an overworked New York policeman who flies into Los Angeles at Christmas to visit his two daughters and estranged wife Holly (Bonnie Bedelia).

Planning a rather different holiday agenda are the terrorists led by Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman). The dastardly dozen invade the plush 30th floor offices of Nakatomi Corp during its Christmas party, and hold the employees hostage as a computer whiz cracks a code that will put the mainly German bad boys in possession of $600 million in negotiable bonds.

Slipping out of the party in the nick of time with nothing but his handgun, Willis is the fly in the ointment of the criminals’ plans, picking off one, then two more of the scouts sent on pest control missions.

Beefed up considerably for his role, Willis is amiable enough in the opening stretch, but overdoes the grimacing and heavy emoting later on. The cooler and more humorous he is the better. Rickman has a giddy good time but sometimes goes over the top as the henchman.
clinteastwooMay 11, 2016
191 Idiots.................................................................................................................................................
MasterRileyDec 19, 2016
Die Hard is a really cool action movie, not sure why it has such low user ratings. Bruce Willis as the lead is great, and the rest of the casting and performances are also good. The action is entertaining, the comedy is pretty good, and theDie Hard is a really cool action movie, not sure why it has such low user ratings. Bruce Willis as the lead is great, and the rest of the casting and performances are also good. The action is entertaining, the comedy is pretty good, and the ending overall is pretty satisfying for what the story set out to be. I would definitely recommend this movie for anyone into action flicks. Expand
MattBrady99Dec 25, 2016
"Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho."

Christmas is the time for love, peace, forgiveness, and sharing. It's also the time where a man in a white vest guns down at terrorists at the Nakatomi Plaza, with no shoes on. Die Hard is one of the
"Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho."

Die Hard is one of the best Christmas movies ever.

Merry Christmas everyone.