8.1

1. Oct 23, 2010
    A fantastic film about nothing at all. Effortlessly captures the idealistic view of America in the 50s/60s, the acting is spot on, and the dialogue is simply superb, with an unscripted feel flowing throughout the diner scenes.
  2. Sep 5, 2011
    Sometimes adult films can be very entertaining with stronger premises, neat acting, and laugh-out-loud comedy which is why we get Barry Levinson's Diner.

It revolves around Christmas time in 1959 where 5 boys spend their time at the diner. When the gang realizes that they have to spend a few days without the comfort of their favorite restaurant, they try to settle their lives by showing
    their responsibilities while sharing their details.

Thinking about this movie makes me want to watch it again to keep on making me laugh my butt off. I mean, it is that good there's absolutely nothing negative to say about it.

The premise about spending their lives explaining their details without the diner was very interesting. The acting was pure masterpiece. Every actor you see, Steve Guttenberg from the Police Academy series, Daniel Stern from Home Alones 1 and 2, Mickey Rourke from Iron Man 2, Kevin Bacon from Apollo 13, Balto, Mystic River, you name it.

The comedy was pure genius. The jokes that I like the best were Fenwick pretending to be dead from his car accident and the part where Fenwick gets drunk while goofing off near a church.

The soundtrack was great and the 1959 period setting was very creative. Diner is one of the greatest films ever made from the early 80s that defines the 50s and it is in my list.

3. Apr 29, 2013
    A well-written masterpiece, Diner is one of the smartest and funniest films of all times.
  4. Jul 23, 2014
    Diner has a ton of laughs and the movie has a terrific cast. The movie is well written and a group of
    friends visit a diner many times in the movie. The movie will amuse and enlighten, it is a superb
    comedy-drama.

Levinson's dialogue feels fresh and improvised, yet it hits its mark every time, and the performances he gets are complex and original (particularly from Mickey Rourke, who plays a lothario with a late-blooming conscience) - enough so that Levinson's occasional forced "cinematic" effects cause barely a ripple in the smooth, naturalistic surface.
    Diner is often a very funny movie, although I laughed most freely not at the sexual pranks but at the movie's accurate ear, as it reproduced dialogue with great comic accuracy.
  3. This is Hollywood's most mature treatment of the '50s-nostalgia theme so far, and the most accurate.