8.6

1. Pat
    Sep 26, 2006
    Great story, though the presentation is blunted. [***SPOILERS***]The cramming of most of Okwe's character development into the last 30 seconds of the film didn't work for me. There's an amazing tour de force in the middle of the film when an unexpected organ donor is found, but then the film proceeds to go back to sleep.
  2. DanB.
    Sep 25, 2003
    Can someone explain to me why Turkish girl (Amelie dudette) is forced to be a refugee from Turkey when Turkey is almost a member of the EU and isn't really such a bad place to live, relatively speaking? This movie doesn't explain it. Also can someone tell me why the main character, a doctor who studied in NY and is a surpemely intelligent and stoic dude, doesn't find people Can someone explain to me why Turkish girl (Amelie dudette) is forced to be a refugee from Turkey when Turkey is almost a member of the EU and isn't really such a bad place to live, relatively speaking? This movie doesn't explain it. Also can someone tell me why the main character, a doctor who studied in NY and is a surpemely intelligent and stoic dude, doesn't find people in NY to help him? Being such a find lad and a good surgeon, he must have made some friends or connections in NY... but instead he ends up marooned in London? This film is heavy on cheese, which would be ok except it's kinda boring too. Expand
  3. GregT.
    Mar 30, 2004
    I fell asleep while watching the DVD of this movie, because it was plodding and disjointed and unfocused, not because I was particularly sleepy. I don't understand what all the hype is about.

The grandest and most vigorous movie he's (Frears) made in at least a decade. Like Okwe himself, it rises above its limitations, and it's just a little bit bigger than the landscape around it.
    It's a dark and revealing movie, and, while the ending may not be upbeat enough for those expecting mainstream fare, it offers a measure of hope and a catharsis.
    This is a film that insinuates itself deeply into our awareness. It's that rare pulp story with something on its mind, an unnerving, socially conscious thriller with a killer sense of narrative drive.