7.4

1. Feb 17, 2012
    When I watch the scenes where both lead roles did the same thing, It reminds me 'life is a cycle' and make me feel like 'this movie is touching the core of reality'. Entire cast is awesome and the theme is vivid. I bet, you will give a honorable position in your mind to the director after watching this movie.
  2. Jul 21, 2013
    I first have to say that it is beautifully shot with some truly excellent cinematography. The sound design is quite interesting too, with sounds that would normally be pushed right to the back taking centre stage as the visuals do their work. I thought the performances of the two main characters were excellent but I felt it lacked a bit of direction. The narrative tended to drift alongI first have to say that it is beautifully shot with some truly excellent cinematography. The sound design is quite interesting too, with sounds that would normally be pushed right to the back taking centre stage as the visuals do their work. I thought the performances of the two main characters were excellent but I felt it lacked a bit of direction. The narrative tended to drift along without really finding anything of any substance to bring it to life. Still, I felt it was a worthy effort and worth a look.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 6.7/10
  3. Dec 30, 2013
    A simple story from Turkish Director Nuri Bilge Ceylon: a man tries to cope with his life in the dismal conditions of an Istanbul winter. He's successful, but unhappy. Beautifully shot. Simplistic in story. Great performances by the cast. A must see for any Ceylon fan, or fan of foreign film.

What is most winning about Distant is that it can peer past the grief and find a scrap of comedy. [15 March 2004, p. 154]
  2. Reviewed by: David Stratton
    An arthouse film par excellence, a consummately made study of loneliness and frustration.
  3. Ceylan, who also served as cinematographer, frames the affecting, unstudied performances in gorgeously chosen shots and nonevents that sometimes teeter on the edge of comedy before knocking us breathless with their emotional power.