8.0

1. Mar 15, 2012
    This movie is so bad I couldn't finish it. If I want to watch raw news footage I can go to YouTube.
  2. Aug 22, 2010
    This movie was too freakin weird and disturbing as hell. Too much swearing as well. Every other word was the f-word. I don't understand how you can enjoy this movie
  3. Sep 5, 2010
    I won't lie, I was expecting a great movie when I went to see this. It was terrible. The thing is, it's easy to trick americans into liking a movie with an original premise and neat special effects, not to mention the documentary filming style which made viewers feel intelligent. This movie is like the product of an intelligent person writing down a good idea, and giving it to mentally challenged filmmakers. Everyone seems to overlooked the annoying flaws of this movie: The behavior, the dialogue, the use of the line "I'm not leaving without you" and various other cliches that you wouldn't expect to find in such an "original" film. There were dozens of moments of annoying stupidity that I kept trying to ignore. And there is no real excuse for all the discomfort in the movie. I usually forgive films for being stupid because they are still enjoyable. This movie had little to enjoy (except for when the robot shoots a man with a dead pig, I got a good laugh out of that) . Just the fact that it was original, the fact that it had allegories to apartheid and racism, and the fact that it was filmed like a documentary seems to have everybody won over. But I can't forgive all the stupid dialogue and behavior. I could just see through every silly second. For example; the love for cat food = Random aspect that makes the aliens seem more real. There was a lot of cheap little ways they tried to make the aliens seem more real. But right from the beginning, I couldn't help but see through them, and if I was less observant and more gullible I probably would have enjoyed the movie. I could write a book about all the things wrong with this movie, but I should not write so much in a movie review. I just can't be concise with this subject. I just want to end with this fact: I walked into that theater expecting a great movie. As the movie went on, I was struggling to convince myself that I was watching a great movie. I couldn't do it. Later I went to see Avatar, expecting a bad movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it, because it was honest and it's silliness was forgivable. James Cameron understands that its more important for a film to be enjoyable then it is for it to make a statement by being different. Expand
  4. Sep 26, 2010
    I'm a BIG sci-fi fan. I can watch a sci-fi movie, does not matter how bad it is. But this is the first one, I wasn't able to watch it trough. I would say that it is far the worst movie I've ever seen, but this is not even a movie, it's a 2 hours crap...terrible
  5. Oct 23, 2010
    An ugly, post-modern yet ramshackle and banjaxed picture that sidesteps convention so often it risks falling into the well that "Limits of Control" is currently drowning in.
  6. Mar 26, 2011
    My expectation before watching this movie was: if Peter Jackson is the director, it will suck. I was confirmed. I stopped caring after 180 seconds when the aliens were shown for the first time. These must be the most ridiculous aliens in film history. The pseudo-documentary style is horribly nauseating. There is not a single scene in this movie that looks professional, it is overly clear that the actors are...acting. It has the feel of a home video made by a child.
    As a critic, how can you take yourself and your profession serious if you give this crap a good review ? It is just laughable. Why did Peter Jackson decide to make movies ? What do his movies add to this world, except for pissing people off because they are so incredibly bad ?
  7. Jul 1, 2014
    Overall, kind of a dumb movie. Wasn't exciting.. wasn't compelling. Had good special effects, but all movies do nowadays. I wasn't impressed, but it was unlike any other movie I've seen.
  8. Aug 25, 2011
    Satire and other allegorical pieces of fiction have a tricky job to do: They must offer commentary on something that we immediately recognize in our world, while creating an interesting enough world for those who are unable to recognize the subject of commentary. It is here where District 9 fails. For despite the powerful images one can associate with apartheid, the absence of the allegory leaves a confused, poorly-plotted, and (let's face it) trite human story. And then it closes itself by shooting everything up. Expand
  9. Apr 2, 2012
    I lost my interest when the first image appeared on the screen. Such a bizarre concept that was just plain stupid. Nothing about it I could appreciate. Such a failure. Can't believe it was nominated for best picture.
  10. May 22, 2012
    I've seen more exciting "action" on CNN, which by the way is how this piece of cinematic garbage is shot. The first 1/3 of the move is filmed like it was shot from some $30 kmart handheld camera. Think Blair Witch meets Transformers but remove all the good stuff. Do yourself a favor and don't suffer through this movie. It really doesn't get better as it goes on.
  11. Dec 31, 2013
    This movie is just really crappy. So crappy that I made an account to say how crappy it is. Horrible plot, an ending that almost seems like it was never finished, and non memorable characters.

1. Reviewed by: Amy Biancolli
    Every now and then, a film comes along that both defies and compels description. District 9 is one such movie: a science-fiction action vehicle so brilliantly and fully imagined that real life, when it resumes after the credits, arrives with a new sense of dread.
  2. Reviewed by: Jeannette Catsoulis
    Grabs you by the eyeballs from the very first frame.
  3. Reviewed by: Daniel Engber
    As an allegory of racial conflict and mass immigration, District 9 never really goes anywhere: The appealing premise fades into the background before 20 minutes have elapsed.