8.1

1. DanielB.
    Sep 7, 2009
    Not only is this film an engaging science fiction film it is one of the only sci fi films where I have left the cinema viewing the humans as the real monsters. This is a must see summer blockbuster and probably one of the most important films of this year and maybye the decade.
  2. TjaartS.
    Jan 12, 2010
    This movie takes us from a tongue in cheek parallel of the apartheid era to the xenophobic actions following of people as a result of the vilification of people in public which gives one the "right" to just do what you want to them....it is gritty, very smart with acting, style and the expression of and accent from the home ground of the afrikaans speaking people, so remniscent of many This movie takes us from a tongue in cheek parallel of the apartheid era to the xenophobic actions following of people as a result of the vilification of people in public which gives one the "right" to just do what you want to them....it is gritty, very smart with acting, style and the expression of and accent from the home ground of the afrikaans speaking people, so remniscent of many myopic attitudes under the surface of most cultures. Expand
  3. ms
    Aug 15, 2009
    I thought this movie was intelligently put together. Its not as deep as a heavy drama, but there's decent character development and an OK script. The technology/CGI for the movie was pretty well done and the storyline concept was unique and well thought out.
  4. RobS
    Oct 6, 2009
    This isn't a cosy film. You can't just sit there and expect robots hitting each other whilst the good looking guy gets the good looking girl. The fact that it deals with aliens is largely irrelevant. Its NOT about apartheid, but it IS about displacement and reflects the sad treatment of powerless refugees across the world. This is a difficult story with no easy answers provided This isn't a cosy film. You can't just sit there and expect robots hitting each other whilst the good looking guy gets the good looking girl. The fact that it deals with aliens is largely irrelevant. Its NOT about apartheid, but it IS about displacement and reflects the sad treatment of powerless refugees across the world. This is a difficult story with no easy answers provided by the SFX guys. There IS a kind of resolution but its hard fought for and therefore more worthwhile when it arrives. An INTELLIGENT Sci-fi film for once. Well done. Expand
  5. Beatrix
    Aug 19, 2009
    It begrudges me to read the negative reviews of this movie. A lot of viewers have focused on the messages (of which are their personal opinions) that this film is portraying rather than judging it purely on entertainment. This movie was a breath of fresh air and is one that I can add to a short list of films I would watch multiple times.
  6. RuanF.
    Sep 6, 2009
    As a South African I went to watch the movie expecting it to be worse than what the reviews said. I'm tired of all the racism stories and well I wasn't expecting anything good. Wow I was wrong. I loved it and will probably go watch it again. The only flaw for me is that it turns into too much of an action movie, though still a good one. All the so called plot holes can be As a South African I went to watch the movie expecting it to be worse than what the reviews said. I'm tired of all the racism stories and well I wasn't expecting anything good. Wow I was wrong. I loved it and will probably go watch it again. The only flaw for me is that it turns into too much of an action movie, though still a good one. All the so called plot holes can be reasoned away and I'm glad that we are not spoonfed everything. Awesome movie and well worth the watch! Expand
  7. Mr.No
    Sep 7, 2009
    Stunning, amazing, I would definetly recommend.
  8. RyanH
    Oct 27, 2009
    Whats with all these 0's and people saying this film is bad...?!!?!?! Rigged boards? Dont talk rubbish.. Anyway..this film is geniuenly epic...and it really dos make you feel empathy for the aliens and sorry for Wikus...the main character. I loved it from start to finish....the special effects are top notch, it isnt my favorite film..but its definelty one of them! Seriously do Whats with all these 0's and people saying this film is bad...?!!?!?! Rigged boards? Dont talk rubbish.. Anyway..this film is geniuenly epic...and it really dos make you feel empathy for the aliens and sorry for Wikus...the main character. I loved it from start to finish....the special effects are top notch, it isnt my favorite film..but its definelty one of them! Seriously do yourself a favor and see it...its really really good!! Expand
  9. DomoR
    Aug 14, 2009
    I'm certain a sequel is being hashed out as I type this little review and the resulting "District 10" had better explain some things to me...like is there a biological basis for bigotry? My left lower claw is tapping out messages in wounded impatience but that's just me and my wild DNA...it gets a little funky with all that cat food in the system. All in all, I have to say this I'm certain a sequel is being hashed out as I type this little review and the resulting "District 10" had better explain some things to me...like is there a biological basis for bigotry? My left lower claw is tapping out messages in wounded impatience but that's just me and my wild DNA...it gets a little funky with all that cat food in the system. All in all, I have to say this film was amazingly well done and embraced many themes about our humanity that were compelling and engaging. But I didn't feel it was "deep" enough. Don't get me wrong. It's a great little film. But the themes have just been scratched and I hope will be further explored. And yeah, I liked all that vomiting, public urination and relatively tidy body explosions! Expand
  10. DavidH
    Aug 14, 2009
    This movie proves it's not about money, it's all about the artist behind the camera. Well done Mr. Blomkamp and Mr. Jackson.
  11. MikeDB
    Aug 14, 2009
    District 9 is subtle, subversive and its a Sci-Fi shot in Johannesburg?? What a treat watching a movie that does not bombard you with colour, special effects and the soulless Hollywood 'SHAZAM' factor. Instead we are given a real portrayal of squatter camp life, with beings suffering and oppressed to the point of revolt. We feel for them; we want them to be rescued and oh yes District 9 is subtle, subversive and its a Sci-Fi shot in Johannesburg?? What a treat watching a movie that does not bombard you with colour, special effects and the soulless Hollywood 'SHAZAM' factor. Instead we are given a real portrayal of squatter camp life, with beings suffering and oppressed to the point of revolt. We feel for them; we want them to be rescued and oh yes they are aliens!!! This Movies strength is its core is overflowing with subversive power and the fact that its a alien/chase/special effects fiasco just makes it a great ,great movie!!!! Expand
  12. ChrisC
    Aug 15, 2009
    Dark, twisted, and wonderfully executed.
  13. DomenickP
    Aug 24, 2009
    This movie stomps so much ass that they had to import colons from other countries to keep up with the demand!
  14. JasonDeatherage
    Aug 24, 2009
    Great movie. One of the best of the year. Original and excting. Makes you want more.
  15. FredericN.
    Jan 12, 2010
    Simply amazing! There's no ham n cheese Hollywood here for the light hearted, so if that's you, stop reading. Just a brutally honest mauling of the human condition (the aliens aren't all love and flowers either). with some wonderful wonderful acting, i must admit, i hated the wikus character when i first watched this film, but when i watched it again i understood why. Simply amazing! There's no ham n cheese Hollywood here for the light hearted, so if that's you, stop reading. Just a brutally honest mauling of the human condition (the aliens aren't all love and flowers either). with some wonderful wonderful acting, i must admit, i hated the wikus character when i first watched this film, but when i watched it again i understood why. He's a selfish little man, who knows full well what he is being asked to do is move over a million 'prawns' to a concentration camp. He only does anything (until the very end) if its in his own self interest. This makes him like 99% of humans alive today, perhaps this was a little too close to home for some us used to Hollywood heroes? anyway, absolutely watch this film, it had me totally glued to the screen for the last 2/3rds of it. Expand
  16. Daniel
    Aug 24, 2009
    I walked into this movie expecting it to be great but it turned out to be near perfect. An awesome, pumping movie that will make you want to see it again and again.
  17. Sep 17, 2011
    district 9 is the best movie i have seen up to this moment. i loved every bit of it. the action is brutal, the characters are believable, and there is a clear message. that's right: district 9 is about stuff! seriously, do not miss out on this movie!
  18. Oct 25, 2013
    An allegorical satire of Apartheid, represented by a sci-fi action film. Also comes into the film is its gritty violence, profane dialogue, and dystopian view of Johannesburg. The photography and CGI are stunning and astonishing. Sharlto Copley is under-exaggerated from his spellbinding performance. 'District 9' is a well crafted and wriiten political message of the horrid effects ofAn allegorical satire of Apartheid, represented by a sci-fi action film. Also comes into the film is its gritty violence, profane dialogue, and dystopian view of Johannesburg. The photography and CGI are stunning and astonishing. Sharlto Copley is under-exaggerated from his spellbinding performance. 'District 9' is a well crafted and wriiten political message of the horrid effects of segregation. Neill Blomkamp is a new breed of sci-fi filmmaker. Expand
  19. Mar 18, 2012
    This isn't just some action movie. This strange sci-fi movie is completely scary, dark, raw, and suspenseful. Sharlto Copley should have at least been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor. He completely nailed his part, and helps us to feel the emotion and horror.
  20. Nov 6, 2010
    It is a great movie, and every science fiction fan should watch it. The story is quite unique from one perspective, because in this movie the aliens are not the threat to us - we are the threat to the aliens. The story is also great and not hard to follow, the characters have very sharp personalities.
    Overall it's a very good movie, I had a lot of fun, so check it out!
    I give it 9/10
  21. RyanC
    Sep 10, 2009
    Gritty. Funny. Gory. Intense. Original. All-action. Empathy-wielding. Epic.
  22. KaiK
    Aug 15, 2009
    All the critics who gave it a 50 either misunderstood the film or simple lack any sort of intelligence. Some critics have bad taste in films. Please note this is not a comedy nor a comic book film, it is a realistic science fiction film. This movie is a Si-Fi classic. It has a lot of rich ideas and great action. District 9 has all the components you would expect from a excellent film. It All the critics who gave it a 50 either misunderstood the film or simple lack any sort of intelligence. Some critics have bad taste in films. Please note this is not a comedy nor a comic book film, it is a realistic science fiction film. This movie is a Si-Fi classic. It has a lot of rich ideas and great action. District 9 has all the components you would expect from a excellent film. It has a great plot that makes you think about humanity and what would happen if we were really to encounter Aliens. All the snobby critics can go eat canned cat food, and should be held captive in district 9. The snobby critics misunderstood the movie the way M.N.U. misunderstood the aliens of district 9. Hopefully we will see district 10 some time in the near future. Expand
  23. TroyB
    Aug 14, 2009
    I can honestly say that I have never seen anything like this before. A true and complete original. You will ride an emotional rollercoaster while watching this film. You'll laugh, scream, wince, jump and quite possibly cry. I cannot recommend seeing this film enough. Amazing.
  24. Brady
    Aug 16, 2009
    it was amazingly original and very unpredictable. a must for me personally.
  25. Oct 23, 2010
    Loved the documentary style at the beginning of the film. Although it wained slightly after that, the twist was a great move and the storyline very complex for a movie where Aliens and Humans get blown to smithereens.
  26. Sep 23, 2011
    This bizarre SF movie, appropriately structured using documentary styled filming, is simply one of the year's best movies that effectively acknowledges the audience of racial discrimination.
  27. Sep 13, 2011
    Next Peter Jackson's movie and next amazing movie!
    This movie is other than all Action, Sci-Fi movies. It holds in tension and tells excellent story. Story is the best in this movie but all is really great. This is ones of my favorites movies and i advice District 9 every Sci-Fi fans.
  28. Larry
    Sep 2, 2009
    Funny, but I actually agree with the folks who rated this a zero and with those who rated it much higher. All things said, I am able to just ignore the clear faults this movie has and accept it as a worthy sci-fi thriller.
  29. carolineb
    Jan 2, 2010
    I have tears in my eyes. 'District 9' is pure genuis! Neill Blouwkamp got it so right, the words for such things, haven't been invented yet. I grew up in English speaking KZN South Africa, hearing van der Merwe jokes , but deep down inside, I always knew, that thrown into the frontline, van der Merwe would be heroic and clearly Neill knew it too. I cannot wait for I have tears in my eyes. 'District 9' is pure genuis! Neill Blouwkamp got it so right, the words for such things, haven't been invented yet. I grew up in English speaking KZN South Africa, hearing van der Merwe jokes , but deep down inside, I always knew, that thrown into the frontline, van der Merwe would be heroic and clearly Neill knew it too. I cannot wait for Neill's next film. Expand
  30. WilliamT
    Feb 20, 2010
    A genuinely thrilling and smart film. If you like your sci-fi movies deeper and more realistic than usual, than you're on the right track with this one.

1. Reviewed by: Amy Biancolli
    Every now and then, a film comes along that both defies and compels description. District 9 is one such movie: a science-fiction action vehicle so brilliantly and fully imagined that real life, when it resumes after the credits, arrives with a new sense of dread.
  2. Reviewed by: Jeannette Catsoulis
    Grabs you by the eyeballs from the very first frame.
  3. Reviewed by: Daniel Engber
    As an allegory of racial conflict and mass immigration, District 9 never really goes anywhere: The appealing premise fades into the background before 20 minutes have elapsed.