8.1

1. carolineb
    Jan 2, 2010
    I have tears in my eyes. 'District 9' is pure genuis! Neill Blouwkamp got it so right, the words for such things, haven't been invented yet. I grew up in English speaking KZN South Africa, hearing van der Merwe jokes , but deep down inside, I always knew, that thrown into the frontline, van der Merwe would be heroic and clearly Neill knew it too. I cannot wait for I have tears in my eyes. 'District 9' is pure genuis! Neill Blouwkamp got it so right, the words for such things, haven't been invented yet. I grew up in English speaking KZN South Africa, hearing van der Merwe jokes , but deep down inside, I always knew, that thrown into the frontline, van der Merwe would be heroic and clearly Neill knew it too. I cannot wait for Neill's next film. Expand
  2. LaurenceW.
    Jun 7, 2010
    Blissfully original,subtly political, teeming with excitement & brilliance.
  3. TomG.
    Aug 14, 2009
    Seriously the best movie since The Dark Knight. My interest was never lost from start to finish. Pulls on the strings of your heart.
  4. AlexG
    Aug 15, 2009
    All I can really say, It was phenomenal. I didn't know what to think as the story continued. It was simply amazing.
  5. DavidA.
    Aug 15, 2009
    Absolutely amazing. Neil Blomkamp and Peter Jackson, I bow to you, for bringing us the best Sci-fi experience in years. My favorite movie ever, hands down.
  6. Trevor
    Aug 15, 2009
    Near perfect movie. It kept me enraptured for the full viewing time. One of the most original concepts for cinema I've ever seen. A movie in which the viewer actually cares for the fate of the protagonists? woah, what a novel concept! This movie had me praying the "good guys" succeed. A must see for EVERYONE (with the exception of young children). P.S. Pray Neill Blomkamp can get his Near perfect movie. It kept me enraptured for the full viewing time. One of the most original concepts for cinema I've ever seen. A movie in which the viewer actually cares for the fate of the protagonists? woah, what a novel concept! This movie had me praying the "good guys" succeed. A must see for EVERYONE (with the exception of young children). P.S. Pray Neill Blomkamp can get his hands on the Halo movie rights, he'll take it to new bounds. Expand
  7. leeT
    Aug 30, 2009
    Both me and my wife just went because nothing else out that we didn't see. We loved it, I'm a sci fi fan she isn't . She said an interesting thing ,after you get to know the aliens they don't look so bad.
  8. RobertC
    Aug 30, 2009
    If you really do not like this movie then you probably cannot catch on to the high level concept. Heaven forbid the director make everything make sense so that all of you idiots with your third grade IQ levels understand. It kills me to see that people like GI joe and Transformers 2, then people call District 9 a bad movie. I have seen District 9, 5 times in the last 2 weeks, and every If you really do not like this movie then you probably cannot catch on to the high level concept. Heaven forbid the director make everything make sense so that all of you idiots with your third grade IQ levels understand. It kills me to see that people like GI joe and Transformers 2, then people call District 9 a bad movie. I have seen District 9, 5 times in the last 2 weeks, and every time I watch it, I learn something new about the movie. This movie is smart enough to be shown in classes as a good example of allusions, metaphors, and allegories; but children won't be watching District 9 in English class just yet because.....you cannot say the F word in school, but maybe that will change. District 9 is perfection, go see it. Expand
  9. JacobHarasty
    Aug 30, 2009
    is movie is proof that there are people out in the world who know what a si-fi moive is. when other movie showed that si-fi now means big guns and bad action with a lame story that has aliens, this movie brings back what si-fi used to mean big guns and good action with a tear jreakin, heart warming realist tell that has alines
  10. GwilymD.
    Sep 10, 2009
    Last night I died and went to cinema heaven
  11. JacquelynC
    Sep 7, 2009
    This film is raw, unpretty, shaky, crude and probably has a budget much less than Hollywood ones. I enjoyed this one much more than any Hollywood movie. It left me on the verge of sobbing into my hankie.
  12. LoouisM.
    Sep 7, 2009
    Amazingly tender, thought provoking and engrossing story. The documentary style makes it extremely authentic. This is what sci-fi is all about.
  13. EmilC.
    Sep 7, 2009
    Brilliant! Flawless performance of main actor, great story, realistic effects.Real refreshment in movie industry and real gem of SF. Way to go!!!
  14. DannyR
    Sep 8, 2009
    Anyone who rates this lower than a 9 knows nothing about Sci-Fi or cinema for that matter and is more likely to be all excited about big budget nonsence like transformers.Go ahead and get in line for Roland Emerich's 2012, i'll wait till it appears in the bargain bucket at my local junk shop about 6 months after its release! Rate District 9 low if you really feel the need to Anyone who rates this lower than a 9 knows nothing about Sci-Fi or cinema for that matter and is more likely to be all excited about big budget nonsence like transformers.Go ahead and get in line for Roland Emerich's 2012, i'll wait till it appears in the bargain bucket at my local junk shop about 6 months after its release! Rate District 9 low if you really feel the need to grab the attention of grown up movie lovers but my advise would be not to bother just get back to your online gaming.....is that your mum i hear calling? Expand
  15. ANWESHP
    Jan 2, 2010
    A movie more flawless than this one does'nt come to mind because there is'nt any. From the begining to the end the film succeds in entertaining. Everything about it is A1 from the cast's performances to the films story.
  16. MarkdSC
    Jan 9, 2010
    Startling on first viewing, left a big impression even if I can't quite pin down what that is! Reminds me of the feeling I had when I first saw Alien and Terminator, not necessarily great films in the traditional sense but for whatever reason stops you in your tracks. A Marmite film, you'll love it or hate it, either way it's destined to become a cult classic.
  17. Josef-MarcH
    Feb 9, 2010
    One of the best films I have ever seen. Utterly compelling. The acting was superb from everyone involved, and the script couldn't have been written any better. If this doesn't go down in history as one of the greatest films of all time, I will be sorely disappointed.
  18. T800
    Feb 9, 2010
    This movie will make you think about yourself.
  19. leec
    Oct 2, 2009
    I have been reading lots of reviews and need to start commenting in order to clear up some of the misunderstandings. ive read so many (usa) reviews about the "unbelievable main character" and the "fake accent" and to any south african Wikus is 100% typical of our own red neck those-who-never-apply for passports true blue south african. we all know lots of south africans who speak and act I have been reading lots of reviews and need to start commenting in order to clear up some of the misunderstandings. ive read so many (usa) reviews about the "unbelievable main character" and the "fake accent" and to any south african Wikus is 100% typical of our own red neck those-who-never-apply for passports true blue south african. we all know lots of south africans who speak and act and (unfortunately) think exactly like wikus. there is a huge problem with nigerian violence, scams and drug trafficking in SA and the locals have been protesting about it. Our malawian gardener who comes to us once a week always gets himself robbed by nigerians when returning to the townships, we have opened a bank account for him so that doesnt carry cash anymore. Our friends in JHB had their son killed because a nigerian gang kidnapped him and asked for a ransom, which our friends paid for, and they killed him anyway. So yes, its very very appropriate to include them in the movie. The ruwandans, mocambiqueans, botswananas, malawians and all manner of neighbouring africans who have flocked into SA are corralled into the worst parts of every township and are called "aliens" locally. Racism? Well the white guys are depicted as the baddies and the black guys in MNU are the nicest humans so the racist card is not that clear. I find it amusing that people who would walk out of a movie only 20 minutes into it can write reviews and have any sort of intelligent opinion. The director clearly states that he didnt need to patronise the audience by explaining every little angle and leaves much to audience. A good movie is one that gets people thinking and talking and this movie sure does that !! I understood the brilliance of the movie when seeing it the second time and so much fell into place that I couldnt take in the first time because it was so intense. Hopefully the academy will do their due diligence and try and understand the social and criminal context, the accent and ignore some of the super ignorant reviews that have been written by folk who cant understand a movie unless it spoonfeeds and stars Will Smith !! Expand
  20. MannyF.
    Aug 14, 2009
    Unlike anything you've ever seen. A very original sci-fi film with top notch cgi, acting and a great script. Copley is absolutely amazing in his first film, this guy is going to be a star. Blomkamp is a visionary... this film had me hooked from the first frame. A must see.
  21. ZacH
    Aug 14, 2009
    This movie is simply beyond perfection
  22. NateH
    Aug 14, 2009
    District 9 is easily the best movie I have seen so far this year. It's story brings you in and makes you feel for these people(humans and aliens alike). The action is amazing, but never feels overdone or like it is meaningless. I should note that the entire film is extremely violent and if you don't like blood you should stay away. If you like good movies that actually have a District 9 is easily the best movie I have seen so far this year. It's story brings you in and makes you feel for these people(humans and aliens alike). The action is amazing, but never feels overdone or like it is meaningless. I should note that the entire film is extremely violent and if you don't like blood you should stay away. If you like good movies that actually have a message then don't miss this one. Expand
  23. KyleD.
    Aug 14, 2009
    I went into this movie with high hopes. I was left speechless. This movie delivers on all fronts and its worth every penny...twice. I would recommend this to all. Be warned there is quite a bit of gore so this is not for the weak stomached.
  24. TroyP.
    Aug 14, 2009
    Most original sci-fi since Alien. Neill Blomkamp in his directing debut knocked this one out of the park. There is so much right with this movie, and so little wrong. It really pulls you in and ratchets up the tension so adroitly you don't notice until you're cheering. Can't wait to see it again.
  25. JerryM
    Aug 15, 2009
    A well-done, fun, rational, thought-provoking, exciting movie!
  26. KaiK
    Aug 15, 2009
    All the critics who gave it a 50 either misunderstood the film or simple lack any sort of intelligence. Some critics have bad taste in films. Please note this is not a comedy nor a comic book film, it is a realistic science fiction film. This movie is a Si-Fi classic. It has a lot of rich ideas and great action. District 9 has all the components you would expect from a excellent film. It All the critics who gave it a 50 either misunderstood the film or simple lack any sort of intelligence. Some critics have bad taste in films. Please note this is not a comedy nor a comic book film, it is a realistic science fiction film. This movie is a Si-Fi classic. It has a lot of rich ideas and great action. District 9 has all the components you would expect from a excellent film. It has a great plot that makes you think about humanity and what would happen if we were really to encounter Aliens. All the snobby critics can go eat canned cat food, and should be held captive in district 9. The snobby critics misunderstood the movie the way M.N.U. misunderstood the aliens of district 9. Hopefully we will see district 10 some time in the near future. Expand
  27. JohnE
    Aug 15, 2009
    Very satisfying and original. I cant wait to go see it again and then go buy it on DVD.
  28. ChrisS.
    Aug 15, 2009
    Purely amazing. This movie pulls you in, grabs you by the head, and smothers you in awesome. Very intelligent, very entertaining. They fleshed out the Aliens and made you feel for them, and I loved the way they ended it, this is one of the closest movies I would call perfect. Everyone was clapping.
  29. JeffR
    Aug 16, 2009
    Just when you think this movie is trying too hard to be a documentary Blomkamp thrusts you into an emotionally charged action film with all of the bells and whistles of a top shelf summer movie. It manages to pull the viewer into its make-believe world and tear at the heart and soul. Nail biting and speak out loud to youself... "oh god I hope they don't kill tha poor child, wait Just when you think this movie is trying too hard to be a documentary Blomkamp thrusts you into an emotionally charged action film with all of the bells and whistles of a top shelf summer movie. It manages to pull the viewer into its make-believe world and tear at the heart and soul. Nail biting and speak out loud to youself... "oh god I hope they don't kill tha poor child, wait he's CG!!!!." incredible sci-fi movie. Genre defining. A must see!!! Expand
  30. JacobT
    Aug 16, 2009
    An amazing movie, especially considering it's really low budget.
  31. RichardE.
    Aug 16, 2009
    Peter Jackson does to SciFi what he did to zombie flicks with his dark humored classic Dead Alive. This film is original. Tells a good story. Has a nice whimsical at times and dry / twisted at times sense of humor. Most important part. THE SPECIAL EFFECTS ARE USED TO TELL THE STORY. They rarely, if at all, get in the way or are special effects for the sake of special effects. Rising above Peter Jackson does to SciFi what he did to zombie flicks with his dark humored classic Dead Alive. This film is original. Tells a good story. Has a nice whimsical at times and dry / twisted at times sense of humor. Most important part. THE SPECIAL EFFECTS ARE USED TO TELL THE STORY. They rarely, if at all, get in the way or are special effects for the sake of special effects. Rising above a sea of Hollywood crap this summer this film redeemed my faith in creative narrative and filmmaking. Expand
  32. AlexE
    Aug 16, 2009
    Great SCi fi movie, Great social drama, Great action movie. You cannot help but feel uneasy at the brutal realism of this movie. Wikus is a testament to the best and worst of human nature. THe lack of stars allows the focus to be on the story. After the debacle of Transformers and Wolverine, This film is proof that real movie making still lives.
  33. RobV
    Aug 16, 2009
    I went into the theater with high expectations, and I was blow away. I left the theater dazed, and I'm still digesting the subtler elements of the film. Stunning, brilliant, exciting, and heartbreaking. There hasn't been an American film this good since There Will Be Blood. We are going to see great, marvelous things coming from both Neill Blomkamp and Sharlto Copley!
  34. ShukiZ.
    Aug 17, 2009
    Perfect 10 loved every moment.
  35. Grant
    Aug 17, 2009
    This is by far the deepest Science Fiction film I have ever seen, the message and imagery rocked me to my core. Hopefully people who see this will look into the atrocities that have happened in South Africa so that they will never repeat themselves anywhere.
  36. ArthurA
    Aug 18, 2009
    Great movie that is NOT totally centered around science fiction. You must actually think while watching the film; that's what makes it outstanding. The special effects are an added bonus.
  37. DickJ
    Aug 18, 2009
    Great movie, Ties in very well with the short ' Alive in Joburg'.
  38. PerryL
    Aug 21, 2009
    On the edge of my seat from the start to the finish. The movie lingers in my mind even before I went to bed that night.
  39. Zen
    Aug 23, 2009
    Hopefully we can take a look at ourselves after watching this movie!
  40. ScottR
    Aug 24, 2009
    I'm hoping that as this film gets a wider release the ratings provided by critics who prioritise the accuracy of a film's allegorical social commentary over it's entertainment value, will be reduced to insignificance, and District 9 will receive the MetaCritic score it deserves.
  41. AlexV.
    Aug 25, 2009
    Awesome sci-fi movie.
  42. MatthewY
    Aug 26, 2009
    Original and interesting ideas that develop into good sci-fi style action.
  43. ShaneM
    Aug 20, 2009
    Best movie of the summer. Hands down. Easily blows Terminator, Transformers, Potter and G.I. Joe out of the water. Easily. You won't be disappointed.
  44. LonngrenP
    Aug 30, 2009
    An amazing movie! And one thats based in my home country! How awesome is that!? At last, the aliens have landed somewhere else than the US. I think they liked it here, although the accommodation was a bit scruffy. Loved it! A must see Sci-Fi movie.
  45. JethroA
    Aug 30, 2009
    Best sci fi movie in forever. Very original, quirky, clever and action packed!
  46. AndrewS
    Aug 30, 2009
    District 9 is a combination of new special effects and good old fashioned story telling. The CG Aliens are flawless with smooth animations and perfect interaction with live-action characters. Any Sci-Fi fan should make it their business to see this movie. The cliche of a movie that makes you laugh, cry and smile has finally arrived. The funny bits and comic relief and even some of the District 9 is a combination of new special effects and good old fashioned story telling. The CG Aliens are flawless with smooth animations and perfect interaction with live-action characters. Any Sci-Fi fan should make it their business to see this movie. The cliche of a movie that makes you laugh, cry and smile has finally arrived. The funny bits and comic relief and even some of the violence will put a child - like smile on your face. The emotion brought up between the main character and his wife and an alien and his child will make you tear up, and the ending will bring a big old grin to your face. Every actor isn't a cliche and you have never seen on the big screen, however this does not make them bad actors, they are brilliant! Sharlto Coprey gives an amazing performance! I love this movie and saw it for the 4th time today! Expand
  47. KevinL
    Aug 31, 2009
    I loved it! Flaws in the plot, ridiculous or not I was totally engrossed. Way better than most Hollywood productions with budgets 10 times as much. Can't wait for the sequel.
  48. AlidaB
    Aug 30, 2009
    This movie tore at me in a way not many can. I left with an empty hurt place in my heart. I loved that the aliens were not pretty, the action was just right to make it fun to the lay viewer. The stupidness of the main character was perfect to set up his growth and despair later in the movie. It's hard not to see the ties between this movie and the politics of South Africa... It was This movie tore at me in a way not many can. I left with an empty hurt place in my heart. I loved that the aliens were not pretty, the action was just right to make it fun to the lay viewer. The stupidness of the main character was perfect to set up his growth and despair later in the movie. It's hard not to see the ties between this movie and the politics of South Africa... It was beautifully done and even though it bothered me not to have an ending, OUR story has not ended, why should theirs. Expand
  49. SlickDaddy
    Sep 13, 2009
    I loved this movie and can't wait to buy it when it is on BluRay. I felt like this movie could have been a reality with the way it was made. If you go in wanting to not like it, sure it could be bad. If you like aliens, this could be exactly how things would happen if the crash on Earth.
  50. WayneH.
    Sep 10, 2009
    This is one of the best films I have ever seen. A great commentary on how we treat people who may be different to us.
  51. SamF
    Sep 18, 2009
    Best action/Scifi since Terminator 2. Absolutely brilliant, so well done.
  52. LesleyL
    Sep 21, 2009
    Exciting, mind blowing and morally disturbing. The best movie I have seen since ...whenever. As an honorary South African this movie makes me proud.
  53. Adam
    Sep 20, 2009
    Somewhat political, but most of all a heartbreaking love story. A Must see, and must own.
  54. ZsomborB
    Sep 27, 2009
    This movie entertained me in an excellent way from beginning to the end, by unsuspiciously starting out as a documentary-like movie, then turning into an all-out live-or-die action movie While being an intelligently crafted sci-fi movie, it throws some serious social criticism right into your face, sometimes without you even noticing. I think this movie deserves the praise, and I'm This movie entertained me in an excellent way from beginning to the end, by unsuspiciously starting out as a documentary-like movie, then turning into an all-out live-or-die action movie While being an intelligently crafted sci-fi movie, it throws some serious social criticism right into your face, sometimes without you even noticing. I think this movie deserves the praise, and I'm looking forward to a continuation of the story. Expand
  55. JuanM.
    Sep 2, 2009
    Awesome movie and becomes even better when taking the social and political imagery into play of a struggling South Africa in very unfortunate circumstances.
  56. TavenX
    Sep 4, 2009
    Its one the best films of 2009..go see this instead of that childish piece of crap transformers
  57. BR.
    Sep 6, 2009
    If you didn't like this movie, chances are you're probably a huge fan of Wayan's brothers flicks & still eat your boogers. This movie was f'ing fantastic from beginning to end.
  58. MattW.
    Sep 7, 2009
    Favourite film of the year so far. Although I can appreciate why some people wouldn't enjoy aspects of it, it will clearly hit home for a lot of the more open-minded and imaginative movie-goers. Particularly those who pay attention to subtle details! Not one of the arguments put forward for plot holes wasn't actually addressed in the film, don't believe me? Write a list and Favourite film of the year so far. Although I can appreciate why some people wouldn't enjoy aspects of it, it will clearly hit home for a lot of the more open-minded and imaginative movie-goers. Particularly those who pay attention to subtle details! Not one of the arguments put forward for plot holes wasn't actually addressed in the film, don't believe me? Write a list and go watch it again. It's well paced, enticing storylines are played out in an emmersive and realistic world that is steeped in it's own history. Rarely is that level of effort, or thought put into a film of this kind. Expand
  59. DerekS
    Jan 17, 2010
    I'm sorry, but anyone who thought that District 9 was a bad movie needs immediate medical attention as they've undoubtedly suffered a concussion or some other form of head injury.
  60. LefanderF.
    Jan 28, 2010
    This is what humans do the aliens, that's why they don't contact us.
  61. GregS.
    Jan 8, 2010
    Amazingly original, inventive, gripping film. I've never seen a movie quite like this. A thrill ride with a heart.
  62. ThomasF
    Feb 28, 2010
    Watched it twice in a row. Yeah, it's that good.
  63. DavidC
    Mar 11, 2010
    Excellent Movie. The change from simpering goverment PR tool to hardass hero belongs up there in classic cinema. This is the way we would treat aliens, you know it.
  64. MikeS
    Mar 26, 2010
    This movie was good.
  65. GriffithN.
    Jun 13, 2010
    My favorite movie of that year, after seeing Star Trek and Terminator Salvation that summer, I was left with a feeling of dispair, that these movies really had nothing to say or to engage other than special effects. District 9 turns that all on its head with a dark and incredibly violent piece of entertainment, that is able to make the sci-fi genre smart again. It goes above and beyond of My favorite movie of that year, after seeing Star Trek and Terminator Salvation that summer, I was left with a feeling of dispair, that these movies really had nothing to say or to engage other than special effects. District 9 turns that all on its head with a dark and incredibly violent piece of entertainment, that is able to make the sci-fi genre smart again. It goes above and beyond of the standard of action movies this year, by exciting you, and using a consistent, and highly relevant allegory, that engages the intelect like no other movie that year. This is a must see. Expand
  66. YanC.
    Jun 2, 2010
    One of the best movies I've ever seen, its documentary-like way of telling the history is fantastic, I think it's better than Avatar to talk about ETs.
  67. DerekT
    Oct 13, 2009
    Simply a master piece ! this is not justa movie, it's art ! worth every second ! well my Girlfriend didn't like it :P !
  68. CindyC
    Nov 4, 2009
    Brilliant. Emotionally devastating. One of the best films of this or any year. Don't miss it.
  69. WilbeE
    Oct 15, 2009
    Excellent movie.
  70. AaronC
    Dec 29, 2009
    A sci-fi theatrical masterpiece. The aliens are a work of AWESOME. With a believable story, great action in the last half, a story with twists and turns, and a shocker at the end of it all, it must be seen by everyone. (That can watch R-rated movies, because that action part, really makes that r-rating come in to play, along with some insanely strong language courtesy of our main character.)
  71. FrankR
    Dec 30, 2009
    A nice twist on the typical "alien" movies.
  72. joeB
    Oct 25, 2009
    If you like anime mecha this is your movie . This is not your Hollywood PG13 film puked out just to fill seats.Transformers ect.ect.This film is hardcore.I love films that show what would realy happen if advanced weapons were used.Yes heads go splat arms and bodies turn to juice lol. I liked the little things to like the HUD (heads up display) inside the mecha. Some CGI guy thought it If you like anime mecha this is your movie . This is not your Hollywood PG13 film puked out just to fill seats.Transformers ect.ect.This film is hardcore.I love films that show what would realy happen if advanced weapons were used.Yes heads go splat arms and bodies turn to juice lol. I liked the little things to like the HUD (heads up display) inside the mecha. Some CGI guy thought it would be cool to show where the rounds from the machine guns were hitting. very cool. This HUD was also used in Ironman and before that Appleseed and other anime. I you dont like this movie maybe you should stick to watching your Twilight or other Hollywood puke movies I hear Saw 28 is coming out try that one. Expand
  73. JoeB
    Oct 26, 2009
    Id actually rate this a 9 if it wern't for the morons who rate 0 for a laugh, so ill give it a 10 to balance out the dimwits... i mean come on, even Ewe Boll deserves a 1 for giving us the odd (unintentional) chuckle. Its a beautifully shot movie, well paced, funny in parts and disturbing in others, dont want to spoil anything but over the course of the movie i went from hating the Id actually rate this a 9 if it wern't for the morons who rate 0 for a laugh, so ill give it a 10 to balance out the dimwits... i mean come on, even Ewe Boll deserves a 1 for giving us the odd (unintentional) chuckle. Its a beautifully shot movie, well paced, funny in parts and disturbing in others, dont want to spoil anything but over the course of the movie i went from hating the main character to really rooting for him, thats good movie making. Expand
  74. FollaringoM
    Oct 7, 2009
    The best Sci-fi movie in years. Awesome
  75. BenM.
    Aug 14, 2009
    District 9 more then overcomes a few minor plot holes and ham fisted elements with a refreshingly unique story and style. In the end humanizing, exciting, bitter sweet and while a complete story on it's own more then merits a sequel. Notice when the credits role how many people in the theater will begin discussing it with one another.
  76. EmirE.
    Aug 14, 2009
    The most diverse, unique movie of the year, you havent seen it all, until you watch this.
  77. DaveS.
    Aug 14, 2009
    Great show, reminiscent of Enemy Mine and Alien Nation, but has personality all its own. I hope he comes back in three years to rescue his new friend lost on Earth.
  78. RossW.
    Aug 14, 2009
    Absolutely perfect. What a brilliant movie! South African director Neill really has done an outstanding job.
  79. J
    Aug 14, 2009
    Best Sci-Fi film in years it kind of reminds me of a evolution of E.T. Is Extremely original at least for 2/3. The last third isn't a original or as funny but yet widely entertaining. This film has so many powerful undertones mostly reminiscent of the apartheid.
  80. JohnDoe
    Aug 14, 2009
    I think the trailer don't do justice to the film,because when I first saw it,I thought it was interesting but it didn't really capture what really happens in the movie.Maybe bad marketing but absolutely Not a bad movie.I love the film but my girlfriend doesn't because it's too violent.However when you try to combine realistically violent I think the trailer don't do justice to the film,because when I first saw it,I thought it was interesting but it didn't really capture what really happens in the movie.Maybe bad marketing but absolutely Not a bad movie.I love the film but my girlfriend doesn't because it's too violent.However when you try to combine realistically violent environment:(Alien/Thug/SpecialOps) ,you have to ask yourself :will it go down Transformers-ly? Bottom line is, I think I can review District 9 but honestly I can't.It's too emotional,too action-packed and just too intelligent for me to even say anything about it.If you have seen it once,see it again and again if necessary because honestly I don't think anyone can sum this gem on one viewing.I thought I've seen it all.I thought I knew what was coming but I was wrong. Expand
  81. MattB
    Aug 14, 2009
    I have to give this movie a 10 for just feeling like something that has never been done in cinema history, District 9 takes you to a place that you have never been and will keep you waiting for District 10? Over all a must see i could see why some people might not like it as much as others but credit is due to District 9 for bring something fresh for the masses and not just the over used I have to give this movie a 10 for just feeling like something that has never been done in cinema history, District 9 takes you to a place that you have never been and will keep you waiting for District 10? Over all a must see i could see why some people might not like it as much as others but credit is due to District 9 for bring something fresh for the masses and not just the over used "alien-est" theme that we have grown tired of. Expand
  82. LukeF.
    Aug 14, 2009
    This movie was incredible. Go watch it with your friends, by yourself, or both.
  83. RandyM
    Aug 14, 2009
    District 9 punches you in the stomach, slaps you across the face, and screams at you to wake up. This is cinema at it's finest; a brutally emotional rollercoaster ride from start to finish. If you have to see one movie this year, it absolutely must be District 9.
  84. Evo
    Aug 14, 2009
    Can I even get away with calling a science fiction movie beautiful...? Well I did! Brilliant movie amazing in every way down to the score. Well Done
  85. KatO
    Aug 14, 2009
    I loved it. I'm a sucker for sci fi, and let me say, this is GOOD sci fi. While this movie is obviously part allegory for apartheid, some of the critics missed the point. The large message is about humanity, and what we're capable of, both good and bad. It's interesting to see that the main character shows his most 'human' characteristics (or what we like to call I loved it. I'm a sucker for sci fi, and let me say, this is GOOD sci fi. While this movie is obviously part allegory for apartheid, some of the critics missed the point. The large message is about humanity, and what we're capable of, both good and bad. It's interesting to see that the main character shows his most 'human' characteristics (or what we like to call humanity, ie. courage, honor, empathy, etc.) when his transformation to alien is nearly complete. It leaves you with a lot to ponder, and some envy of the alien who managed to escape us. Expand
  86. MichaelB.
    Aug 14, 2009
    Easily and absolutely the greatest movie of the year and quite possibly the decade. Amazing plot, top-notch acting, and stunning CGI, it's a must see for all fans of cinema.
  87. NateB.
    Aug 14, 2009
    Excellent movie. Looks like the lower-scoring critics are just trying to get their names out. Completely different than what I was expecting, and completely different than any other movie I've seen. Great movie.
  88. JohnS.
    Aug 14, 2009
    A fresh, engaging style from a new director. After watching this movie, I'm convinced that Neill Blomkamp will turn any future project into gold.
  89. AnonymousMC
    Aug 15, 2009
    This is one original movie unlike any other sci-fi movie i have ever seen. It invades into a realm of sci-fi, still pretending to be a social documentary and the way it incorporates fast paced action surely keeps the viewers glued to the seat. If you are into emotions and at the same time like fast paced action, this one is a must watch. I can definitely say this is going to be one of theThis is one original movie unlike any other sci-fi movie i have ever seen. It invades into a realm of sci-fi, still pretending to be a social documentary and the way it incorporates fast paced action surely keeps the viewers glued to the seat. If you are into emotions and at the same time like fast paced action, this one is a must watch. I can definitely say this is going to be one of the best films of 2009. Expand
  90. ScottW
    Aug 15, 2009
    Simply incredible. Smart, tense, engaging, compelling, and believable. A plausible science fiction film, can you believe it? Lets you know right away that cinematic rules will be broken, but never resorts to simple squalor. See this film, right now.
  91. Jeff
    Aug 15, 2009
    Great set up, then at a certain point the action kicks in and every scene from there on is better than the previous. Amazing movie.
  92. KyleG.
    Aug 15, 2009
    Brilliant, intense, moving, thrilling, stunning, spectacular & unforgettable. The direction and cinematography fired flawlessly on all cylinders and the lead actor in the film gave a truly Oscar worthy performance. The aliens as well as the other special effects were among some of the best i have ever seen. This film was perfection from start to finish so get ready for one helluva ride. Brilliant, intense, moving, thrilling, stunning, spectacular & unforgettable. The direction and cinematography fired flawlessly on all cylinders and the lead actor in the film gave a truly Oscar worthy performance. The aliens as well as the other special effects were among some of the best i have ever seen. This film was perfection from start to finish so get ready for one helluva ride. Not to be missed! Expand
  93. JakeW
    Aug 15, 2009
    A great thrill, I thoroughly enjoyed the entire movie. The director makes great use of the actors, and spins an epic tale worthy to be recognized alongside the matrix and star wars.
  94. ForrestA
    Aug 15, 2009
    This movie was simply amazing, if you like action, great acting and good story you have no excuse to not see this movie!
  95. TylerH
    Aug 15, 2009
    What a surprisingly well done movie. Simply fantastic. The only gripes I would have would be the documentary style filming that was used for a little in the beginning and the end, its not something I usually like, but it was integraded well. This is by no means reasoning to skip this film, it is fantastic; in acting, visuals, and plot. A must see.
  96. JamesH.
    Aug 15, 2009
    Startling, intense, engaging. You don't take your eyes off the screen for a second. And as disturbing as it is, you leave feeling completely fulfilled in terms of bang for the buck. Wow.
  97. DorianD.
    Aug 15, 2009
    Magnificently amazing, jaw-dropping action scenes, amazing sound effects and cgi. What makes this movie so good is because from a realistic perspective on reality of what could actually happen if aliens were to come. Its like a thrill ride that keeps you on the edge of your seat. One of the best movies I've seen since a.i. nothing of 2009 or 2010 will accomplish what this movie has Magnificently amazing, jaw-dropping action scenes, amazing sound effects and cgi. What makes this movie so good is because from a realistic perspective on reality of what could actually happen if aliens were to come. Its like a thrill ride that keeps you on the edge of your seat. One of the best movies I've seen since a.i. nothing of 2009 or 2010 will accomplish what this movie has accomplished. Expand
  98. JonathanP
    Aug 15, 2009
    An absolutely excellent, exciting, and enthralling movie that I greatly enjoyed watching. And such AMAZINGLY convincing graphics.
  99. JacobG
    Aug 15, 2009
    Amazing movie, I came to the movie with high expectations and this movie did more.
  100. BrainD
    Aug 15, 2009
    Original and brilliant. One of the best movies of the year.

1. Reviewed by: Amy Biancolli
    Every now and then, a film comes along that both defies and compels description. District 9 is one such movie: a science-fiction action vehicle so brilliantly and fully imagined that real life, when it resumes after the credits, arrives with a new sense of dread.
  2. Reviewed by: Jeannette Catsoulis
    Grabs you by the eyeballs from the very first frame.
  3. Reviewed by: Daniel Engber
    As an allegory of racial conflict and mass immigration, District 9 never really goes anywhere: The appealing premise fades into the background before 20 minutes have elapsed.