5.9

1. Apr 6, 2015
    Though clearly drawing influences of The Hunger Games and even Harry Potter at times, Divergent is enough it's own thing and it's actually enjoyable. I had no expectations going in and I was pleasantly surprised. Though Shailene Woodley carries the movie for the most part.
  2. Mar 28, 2015
    Divergent is a movie that has a very weird and a not very well explained plot that leaves you wondering what the hell is happening.

It seems like a cool idea but several things plotwise make absolutely no sense, however i believe if you read the book, it would help with certain parts that just seem like they were picked out of a hat. Personal belief: Divergent seems like a cool idea

Personal belief: Divergent seems like a cool idea and had me hooked for about the first 30 minutes, after that, things go weird and a very unexpected change in the plot in the 2nd half of the movie just make it horrible and unbelievably stupid

3. Mar 23, 2015
    Based on a series of young adult novels this dystopian future story has the citizens of Chicago walled in and divided into factions, depending on personality, to preserve peace. Quite why everyone can only have one personality trait is never made very clear, which makes their fight for survival hard to care about. A Divergent is someone with all traits and for some reason the governingBased on a series of young adult novels this dystopian future story has the citizens of Chicago walled in and divided into factions, depending on personality, to preserve peace. Quite why everyone can only have one personality trait is never made very clear, which makes their fight for survival hard to care about. A Divergent is someone with all traits and for some reason the governing forces see this as a threat, but again 'why' is never a a question the film really seems to want to answer. Expand
  4. Mar 23, 2015
    Good movie. Feels epic in style, quite grand. It is gripping right from the start, and has an interesting theme and universe. However, the characters and factions are not explored in sufficient depth. It has great potential and the world and camera angles are fabulous. However, the story is lacklustre at best and, to be honest, not much happens given its length. The directors should'veGood movie. Feels epic in style, quite grand. It is gripping right from the start, and has an interesting theme and universe. However, the characters and factions are not explored in sufficient depth. It has great potential and the world and camera angles are fabulous. However, the story is lacklustre at best and, to be honest, not much happens given its length. The directors should've spent more time exploring the backstory. Expand
  5. Mar 13, 2015
    Not a bad movie even though the movie is mostly lack of action or moments that makes the viewers like the movie. Also, many parts of the movie makes me bored.
  6. chw
    Mar 12, 2015
    Divergent is the most clichéd movie I've seen so far. If there weren't any clichés, there would still be the terrible acting. If there wasn't any terrible acting and no clichés, there would be no movie.
  7. Mar 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Divergent was an interesting movie however the plot wasn't all that strong, I do like the 1984 big brother type of controlled society premise however I feel like they made it kind of weak in the movie. Given that there is time constraints in making a feature film I will assume that in the book there was more time spent on the whole of the atmosphere. The plot was indeed interesting I think the pacing for it was very good they made sure to give enough information as to why being divergent is "bad" and balancing between Tris' own ways of dealing with and hiding divergence while still keeping the mystery of how divergence is going to be very important in the end. However the begining did start a bit slow. Something I did like a lot was at the end where Four is being controlled and about to kill Tris I like how they didn't take the cheesey LOVE CONQUERS ALL way out, no they played on Four's fear of shooting an innocence so he was to much of a **** to pull the trigger giving his mind a chance to wake up *slow clap* Now the very end I have mixed feelings on because its so open ended and can really be taken in a lot of different ways, I do like that they escaped and hooray they fought the man and won now they run away blah blah blah. However since they wiped the program that was controlling the dauntless and have many people to bear witness at the problems with Erudite why not stay and try to make their society better instead of running away. That aside I did like the movie I thought it was cool not a blockbuster hit but entertaining a more precise score for me would be 6.7/10 Expand
  8. Feb 14, 2015
    Better than I expected it to be. It gave a big hunger games feel as i was watching it as it is sort of similar to it. Has some good action scenes that were excellently shot. Some points did get boring as nothing was really going on,but an entertaining enough movie.
  9. Feb 13, 2015
    OMG! Let's make a movie that copies every other movie already made and have it make no sense what so ever! Also let's have the female lead be a very annoying doughy eyed little whiny b#tch! Also let's name the "Hot" male lead number 4 just like that other horrible movie "I am number 4!" Also let's have all the stupid characters cut their hands with the same knife so they can get aids and die!
  10. Jan 25, 2015
    The movie is entertaining enough and there are really talented people involved, but the script is weak and the story in general does not quiet take off. It is decent and the best thing is probably that there is room for improvement in the upcoming sequels. Just for when you have a couple of hours you don´t know what to do and have seen all the other better films out there.
  11. Jan 15, 2015
    This movie is boring, stupid, just for teenagers, has stereotype protagonists and the whole thing is just horrible. I really hope the book is much better than this extremely long cliched sh*t. The worst part is that now that I saw this stupidity, I have the moral obligation to watch the sequel...
  12. WJS
    Jan 10, 2015
    This movie looks really good, is well acted and has a great soundtrack. Unfortunately, its script is weak and the direction is laboured. It plays out far too long and its cast is quite beautiful, which proves distracting. The problem here is that its YA roots are showing, and for me that's a problem, because the only YA film I've enjoyed in the past while is "Enders Game".
  13. Dec 28, 2014
    Like the first book in the series, Divergent didn't really impress me. It has solid acting and some fun to be had, but the film lacks all tension and logic that is important in one of these stories.
  14. Dec 21, 2014
    Okay i wasn't a fan of 'The Hunger Games' series that much, divergent didn't disappoint what so ever. As a reader i admire and am entertained by the book itself cause author Veronica Roth creates characters that absorbing to the Divergent Series, She creates Psychology futuristic events in the divergent world that makes this book and this movie fun! some screenwriters take popularOkay i wasn't a fan of 'The Hunger Games' series that much, divergent didn't disappoint what so ever. As a reader i admire and am entertained by the book itself cause author Veronica Roth creates characters that absorbing to the Divergent Series, She creates Psychology futuristic events in the divergent world that makes this book and this movie fun! some screenwriters take popular books make a screenplay can actually be **** like Percy Jackson or The Hunger Games and makes an adaptation then it become a disaster or it comes ok i guess. These Screenwriters did understand the book and what they can do to make it better as a script thats what screenwriters should do often as they make adaptations. The movie is Woodley plays Tris so well she was mean't for this role to play this so well her characteristics fit perfectly in the novel and through out this film. Director Neil Burger makes Roth's vision a reality in this movie and thats everyone dream in a movie. Expand
  15. Dec 11, 2014
    just watched this movie...Good enough for me
  16. Dec 7, 2014
    When I first heard about Divergent, I though the first Hunger Games rip off was upon us, and besides that the whole story seemed somewhat confusing. It is Science Fiction and Directed by Neil Berger, the mind behind Limitless, so I decided to give it a shot, and it was the best idea I had in a long time.
    In a post war America, the city of Chicago is fenced off from the rest of the world, and has split into five factions of people. At the age of 18, all citizens must take an aptitude test, to determine where they belong. Beatrice (Shailene Woodley) is one of the girls taking the test as the movie starts, and her results show that she has an aptitude for all five factions, making her Divergent. Divergent's are highly intelligent, rebellious, and seen as a threat to the Government, so she hides her results and joins Dauntless, the equivalent of the National Guard in Chicago. During her rough training, the now renamed Trice, meets up with Four (Theo James) who she has an instant connection to, but who is also a threat to her secret identity. One thing that was never explained is why these people have to take the aptitude test, if they are allowed to join whichever faction they choose. It's a major plot hole and the only reason this film didn't receive 5 stars, as I really hate plot holes. Shailene Woodley stars as Trice, making the jump from TV to film, and she has done it with a bang. In much the same way Jennifer Lawrence was the perfect choice to play Katniss, Woodley was perfect for the role of Trice, and brought so much more to the film than I ever thought she would. Theo James is also terrific as Four, the mysterious trainer and love interest of Trice, and together the team is the perfect pair. Divergent is highly original, really well written, and introduced Hollywood to a whole slew of new stars, not to mention it's Director, Neil Burger, is on one hell of a successful run of films. Divergent has everything I look for in a film and in my favorite genre, and for that it is now one of our must see movies!
  17. Dec 4, 2014
    Another bad movie released this year. Story is not very good. Acting is not very good. I was bored most of the time. This entire idea about how they are divided into factions is pretty stupid to me.
  18. Nov 23, 2014
    Divergent, sin dudas, está un poco infravalorada, el film es entretenido y su historia es interesante, le hace falta mejores críticas de las que tiene, ya que la película, en general, es buena.
  19. Nov 13, 2014
    "Divergent" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Good: It's not a bad concept and has potential. Shailene Woodley turns in a great performance. Theo James starts off sluggish, but turns it around and is solid as the male lead. The characters in the film are well written and pretty deep. The first half of the film is absolutely fantastic and you don't want it to end. The Bad:
    "Divergent" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Bad: Unfortunately, the second act falls apart. Very VERY predictable and this shadowy and intricate plan that the villains unleash is simple and disappointing. The last quarter of the film is a boring shoot out with a very vanilla ending. It's a shame that they could not capitalize on such a great start.
  20. Nov 10, 2014
    Divergent arrives with a whimper in the crowded post - Harry Potter young adult franchises largely due to it's failure in generating thrills for most of the movie and it's overly derivative plot.
  21. Nov 2, 2014
    Divergent is a dystopian science fiction that finds itself suffering from the mould Hollywood has created for recent book adaptations. It is a very formulaic and predictable storyline that is immersed in an intricately-built world. However the acting is insanely good, particularly Shailene Woodley, who makes everything feel much more real. The only issue was the repetitive theme of 'ChosenDivergent is a dystopian science fiction that finds itself suffering from the mould Hollywood has created for recent book adaptations. It is a very formulaic and predictable storyline that is immersed in an intricately-built world. However the acting is insanely good, particularly Shailene Woodley, who makes everything feel much more real. The only issue was the repetitive theme of 'Chosen One' fights against oppressive government force. In the end Divergent is a watchable film if you enjoy dystopian sci-fis. Expand
  22. Oct 12, 2014
    Good story, good cast. The actions scenes isn't great, just good. The romance between Tris and Tobias sounds annoying and cliché sometimes, I was expecting more fantasy in the cinematography, but in the end the movie isn't so good and isn't so bad, just enjoyable.
  23. Oct 2, 2014
    Terrible...just...awful. Do not spend money on this movie, and make sure that you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BETTER TO DO for 2.5 hours. Horrible acting. The lead has resting **** face the whole time, and she is just entirely awkward. The rest of the cast is still pretty bad, but not as bad as her. Avoid eating anything while she is doing her sob scene; something happened to her face thatTerrible...just...awful. Do not spend money on this movie, and make sure that you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BETTER TO DO for 2.5 hours. Horrible acting. The lead has resting **** face the whole time, and she is just entirely awkward. The rest of the cast is still pretty bad, but not as bad as her. Avoid eating anything while she is doing her sob scene; something happened to her face that just aint right. Ashley Judd, Kate Winslet...I expect more from you; why are you associating yourself with this crap. Expand
  24. Sep 30, 2014
    The Movie haven't great change from the book and i like this.
    The film is a little long, but the history is really big.
    A blockbuster movie, not a masterpiece but also not a **** :)
  25. Sep 24, 2014
    Decent, but nothing more. Its buildup was fine but it then descended into a shoot-em-up, which must have made Republicans and the NRA happy. It's a half hour too long, given epic treatment when it deserves far less, and the dialogue's terrible, as if a high school student had written it. I'll pass on any sequels. And the poster's hilarious--Four transcends his fear of heights, just to getDecent, but nothing more. Its buildup was fine but it then descended into a shoot-em-up, which must have made Republicans and the NRA happy. It's a half hour too long, given epic treatment when it deserves far less, and the dialogue's terrible, as if a high school student had written it. I'll pass on any sequels. And the poster's hilarious--Four transcends his fear of heights, just to get Tris' butt in his face. I hope for his sake she didn't have tacos for lunch. Expand
  26. Sep 14, 2014
    Well I watched divergent...the movie I thought was just a rip off of the hunger games and...I WAS DEAD WRONG!!! let me tell you I LOVED this movie and I don't buy a lot of movies but I'm definitely picking this one up. I think it beats the hunger games by a long shot. It's darker, had me on the edge of my seat, had some feels it is just IMO better than hunger games. Let me get to theWell I watched divergent...the movie I thought was just a rip off of the hunger games and...I WAS DEAD WRONG!!! let me tell you I LOVED this movie and I don't buy a lot of movies but I'm definitely picking this one up. I think it beats the hunger games by a long shot. It's darker, had me on the edge of my seat, had some feels it is just IMO better than hunger games. Let me get to the review because I could go on and on about how much I love this movie. The premise seemed hunger game like and the factions and even some themes are the same the movies are vastly different. The factions and story were amazing. I've seen themes like these before but my god this movie put them to good use and wasn't generic like I thought it was. The characters Triss and four were well rounded and full of personality. The dauntless faction (my favorite of course) was so entertaining watching the initiation, training, the hardships of war and suffering to come out stronger than ever. The way the twist came and the final act of the movie was intense, jaw dropping, Had me raging (in a good way) and had some MAJOR FEELS and doesn't need spoiling at all! The action, special effects, fight scenes, and actors were all amazing. It definitely is a great movie and deserves higher reviews and praise then I seen it been getting. This is hands down one of my fav movies and I only have a handful of favorites. It definitely shouldn't be passed off as generic or rip off in anyway. I highly recommend it to those who like the hunger games or other scifi young adult adventure films. I will definitely be seeing the sequels and reading the books (and I hardly ever read) I give this movie a 9.5. I really can't find anything wrong with it except the cliffhanger ending. It was just AMAZING. You owe it to yourself to watch this atleast give it a try who knows you might come out loving it like I did!! 9.5/10 Expand
  27. Sep 12, 2014
    “Divergent” has filled many teenagers with misguided anticipation for months. Neil Burger, director of the films “The Illusionist” (2011) and “Limitless” (2011), has created this film based off of Veronica Roth’s novel. This film was supposed to combine gripping action and tender romance. These two factors were supposed to generate “…the next big thing (The Wire)”. But this film did not do“Divergent” has filled many teenagers with misguided anticipation for months. Neil Burger, director of the films “The Illusionist” (2011) and “Limitless” (2011), has created this film based off of Veronica Roth’s novel. This film was supposed to combine gripping action and tender romance. These two factors were supposed to generate “…the next big thing (The Wire)”. But this film did not do enough to blow me off my seat. Shailene Woodley, the protagonist of this movie, plays Beatrice Prior. Her character is an awkward, daring, and combatant sixteen- year old who was born in a selfless faction called Abnegation. Despite her origins she chooses to live in Dauntless, a faction that does not know fear. There she consistently encounters and soon develops a relationship with Dauntless trainer Four, played by Theo James. However, despite the “unexpected” fight scenes and the “star crossed” co-stars, this film was repetitive, dull, and deficient to say the least.
    The first element of this movie that already disappointed me was the setting. As shown in the commercials, this movie takes place in a futuristic dystopian society. I am not sure if anyone else remembers, but there has been a recent movie with a similar atmosphere. If you cannot remember, I will be happy to let you know that it was the “Hunger Games”. I do not think Neil Burger or Veronica Roth would want to hear this, but this movie is like the demoted version of the “Hunger Games”. Manohla Dargis points out that the movie does offer the standard aspects for a teen flick, “…but the similarities
    between these young adult juggernauts are conspicuous in the extreme (The New York Times)”. In previews, the leaders of this society are attempting to place people in factions according to their identity. So it is already evident that there has to be some kind of distortion to break this cycle. This is where Shailene Woodley comes to the rescue. Since it is not a secret that she is Divergent, it is automatically clear that she is going to be the rebel of this film. This makes it even easier to realize where the movie is going. And the next place it shall go would also cause me more dissatisfaction.
    Once Beatrice “unexpectedly” arrives in the dauntless faction, she meets the withheld and painfully attractive transfer trainer Four. As the movie goes on, they magically realize that they are meant for each other. Now I love romance as much as the next person, but I think it is safe to say that the young audience needs a break from it. Just like ice cream, too much of it can make one sick. If you look back in all the recent teen love films, I think a lot of people would agree that the whole “Romeo and Juliet” trend needs to have a break for just a while. Los Angeles Film Critic, Kenneth Turan, supports this topic when he states that the movie “…really drags out the romantic uncertainty element… (LA Times)”. But besides the cliché adoration, there is one more thing that really displeased me.
    So far we have had numerous novel-based movies. And to name a few off the back we have had The Fault in Our Stars, Catching Fire, Hunger Games, The Host, and The Twilight Saga. Now that we have an addition of Divergent, I am beginning to question the passion behind these directors. When I see a consecutive line-up of novel-based films, I also see a lack of creativity. And the main thing that adds fuel to the fire is how agonizingly accurate this movie was to novel. If a director decides to make a movie that is based on a novel, they should go beyond the audiences’ expectations. This should really apply to adolescent films, which mostly consists of excitement and thrills. A movie should be so spectacular that a couple of glitches should not matter. Chicago Tribune Film Critic, Michael Phillips felt the same way when he said, “The movie version of ‘Divergent’ is no divergent. It goes along to get along. It’s tame, formulaic, and strictly by the book in every sense (Chicago Tribune)”. And I do not want to declare any director lazy if he or she creates a film from a work. But if you do go for it, go above and beyond the text. Because that will give some people the impression that you’re lethargic in originality.
    Surprisingly enough, there is one positive thing that I could take away from this movie. This is the second movie that has portrayed young women as being independent, strong, and superior. This exposure is diluting the “damsel in distress” trend that is often seen on television and in movies. And a lot of girls need to be reminded that they could also do a lot in society. Not going against an entire totalitarian system, per say, but in other things like in their community or in their careers. I am also aware there is suppose to be a second movie next year. I just hope that the director will be more daring the next time around. . Because their boldness might just be what the Divergent movies need to really become “…the next big thing (The Wire)”.
  28. Sep 10, 2014
    While it is at least thirty minutes to long, Divergent offers up a half way decent time. Comparisons with The Hunger Games are fair though its not as good, but not Twilight which still sits as one of the worst franchises in the last ten years. Shailene Woodley's presence on screen definitely helps make some of the less interesting things about the story at least watchable and contributesWhile it is at least thirty minutes to long, Divergent offers up a half way decent time. Comparisons with The Hunger Games are fair though its not as good, but not Twilight which still sits as one of the worst franchises in the last ten years. Shailene Woodley's presence on screen definitely helps make some of the less interesting things about the story at least watchable and contributes to a solid start to a new franchise. B Expand
  29. Sep 7, 2014
    This film offers some good moments that have you screwing up your face and you really do feel the emotion behind certain scenes. The storytelling is good, but it drags out a bit and there is not enough action. Ultimately, it misses out or just ignores little unanswered questions and fails to capitalize on the climax, it's really quite a boring ending. Worth a watch if you like waitingThis film offers some good moments that have you screwing up your face and you really do feel the emotion behind certain scenes. The storytelling is good, but it drags out a bit and there is not enough action. Ultimately, it misses out or just ignores little unanswered questions and fails to capitalize on the climax, it's really quite a boring ending. Worth a watch if you like waiting three years for a sequel, but I wouldn't recommend it as I personally hate unfinished stories and I don't think 'The World of Divergent' will make it to it's third 2-parter (yawn) instalment. Expand
  30. Sep 6, 2014
    In itself an interesting concept, the movie was riddled with cliches and was dragged out a lot longer than necessary. I'm not too sure about the actors either. Very mixed performances. But overall enjoyable, although not amazing in any way

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Apr 7, 2014
    Loyal to the novel, but welcoming enough for newbies, Divergent does a decent if not jawdropping job of bringing its dystopian world to life.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Apr 3, 2014
    The more you scrutinise the society Roth and these screenwriters have created, the more it seems a chintzily self-designed dystopia whose rules and entire infrastructure are pure cardboard.
  3. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    Mar 31, 2014
    Smart, tough and a little bit cool, this is an intriguing opening rather than a slam-dunk in its own right, but the cast - and especially Woodley - make it sufficiently diverting to merit a place in the action franchise ranks.