5.9

1. Dec 11, 2014
    just watched this movie...Good enough for me
  2. Dec 7, 2014
    When I first heard about Divergent, I though the first Hunger Games rip off was upon us, and besides that the whole story seemed somewhat confusing. It is Science Fiction and Directed by Neil Berger, the mind behind Limitless, so I decided to give it a shot, and it was the best idea I had in a long time.
    In a post war America, the city of Chicago is fenced off from the rest of the world, and has split into five factions of people. At the age of 18, all citizens must take an aptitude test, to determine where they belong. Beatrice (Shailene Woodley) is one of the girls taking the test as the movie starts, and her results show that she has an aptitude for all five factions, making her Divergent. Divergent's are highly intelligent, rebellious, and seen as a threat to the Government, so she hides her results and joins Dauntless, the equivalent of the National Guard in Chicago. During her rough training, the now renamed Trice, meets up with Four (Theo James) who she has an instant connection to, but who is also a threat to her secret identity. One thing that was never explained is why these people have to take the aptitude test, if they are allowed to join whichever faction they choose. It's a major plot hole and the only reason this film didn't receive 5 stars, as I really hate plot holes. Shailene Woodley stars as Trice, making the jump from TV to film, and she has done it with a bang. In much the same way Jennifer Lawrence was the perfect choice to play Katniss, Woodley was perfect for the role of Trice, and brought so much more to the film than I ever thought she would. Theo James is also terrific as Four, the mysterious trainer and love interest of Trice, and together the team is the perfect pair. Divergent is highly original, really well written, and introduced Hollywood to a whole slew of new stars, not to mention it's Director, Neil Burger, is on one hell of a successful run of films. Divergent has everything I look for in a film and in my favorite genre, and for that it is now one of our must see movies!
  3. Dec 4, 2014
    Another bad movie released this year. Story is not very good. Acting is not very good. I was bored most of the time. This entire idea about how they are divided into factions is pretty stupid to me.
  4. Nov 27, 2014
    Though clearly drawing influences of The Hunger Games and even Harry Potter at times, Divergent is enough it's own thing and it's actually enjoyable. I had no expectations going in and I was pleasantly surprised. Though Shailene Woodley carries the movie for the most part.
  5. Nov 23, 2014
    Divergent, sin dudas, está un poco infravalorada, el film es entretenido y su historia es interesante, le hace falta mejores críticas de las que tiene, ya que la película, en general, es buena.
  6. Nov 13, 2014
    "Divergent" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Good: It's not a bad concept and has potential. Shailene Woodley turns in a great performance. Theo James starts off sluggish, but turns it around and is solid as the male lead. The characters in the film are well written and pretty deep. The first half of the film is absolutely fantastic and you don't want it to end. The Bad:
    "Divergent" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Bad: Unfortunately, the second act falls apart. Very VERY predictable and this shadowy and intricate plan that the villains unleash is simple and disappointing. The last quarter of the film is a boring shoot out with a very vanilla ending. It's a shame that they could not capitalize on such a great start.
  7. Nov 10, 2014
    Divergent arrives with a whimper in the crowded post - Harry Potter young adult franchises largely due to it's failure in generating thrills for most of the movie and it's overly derivative plot.
  8. Nov 2, 2014
    Divergent is a dystopian science fiction that finds itself suffering from the mould Hollywood has created for recent book adaptations. It is a very formulaic and predictable storyline that is immersed in an intricately-built world. However the acting is insanely good, particularly Shailene Woodley, who makes everything feel much more real. The only issue was the repetitive theme of 'ChosenDivergent is a dystopian science fiction that finds itself suffering from the mould Hollywood has created for recent book adaptations. It is a very formulaic and predictable storyline that is immersed in an intricately-built world. However the acting is insanely good, particularly Shailene Woodley, who makes everything feel much more real. The only issue was the repetitive theme of 'Chosen One' fights against oppressive government force. In the end Divergent is a watchable film if you enjoy dystopian sci-fis. Expand
  9. Oct 12, 2014
    Good story, good cast. The actions scenes isn't great, just good. The romance between Tris and Tobias sounds annoying and cliché sometimes, I was expecting more fantasy in the cinematography, but in the end the movie isn't so good and isn't so bad, just enjoyable.
  10. Oct 2, 2014
    Terrible...just...awful. Do not spend money on this movie, and make sure that you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BETTER TO DO for 2.5 hours. Horrible acting. The lead has resting **** face the whole time, and she is just entirely awkward. The rest of the cast is still pretty bad, but not as bad as her. Avoid eating anything while she is doing her sob scene; something happened to her face thatTerrible...just...awful. Do not spend money on this movie, and make sure that you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BETTER TO DO for 2.5 hours. Horrible acting. The lead has resting **** face the whole time, and she is just entirely awkward. The rest of the cast is still pretty bad, but not as bad as her. Avoid eating anything while she is doing her sob scene; something happened to her face that just aint right. Ashley Judd, Kate Winslet...I expect more from you; why are you associating yourself with this crap. Expand
  11. Sep 30, 2014
    The Movie haven't great change from the book and i like this.
    The film is a little long, but the history is really big.
    A blockbuster movie, not a masterpiece but also not a **** :)
  12. Sep 25, 2014
    Lame and just downright stupid copy of the hunger games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Sep 24, 2014
    Decent, but nothing more. Its buildup was fine but it then descended into a shoot-em-up, which must have made Republicans and the NRA happy. It's a half hour too long, given epic treatment when it deserves far less, and the dialogue's terrible, as if a high school student had written it. I'll pass on any sequels. And the poster's hilarious--Four transcends his fear of heights, just to getDecent, but nothing more. Its buildup was fine but it then descended into a shoot-em-up, which must have made Republicans and the NRA happy. It's a half hour too long, given epic treatment when it deserves far less, and the dialogue's terrible, as if a high school student had written it. I'll pass on any sequels. And the poster's hilarious--Four transcends his fear of heights, just to get Tris' butt in his face. I hope for his sake she didn't have tacos for lunch. Expand
  14. Sep 14, 2014
    Well I watched divergent...the movie I thought was just a rip off of the hunger games and...I WAS DEAD WRONG!!! let me tell you I LOVED this movie and I don't buy a lot of movies but I'm definitely picking this one up. I think it beats the hunger games by a long shot. It's darker, had me on the edge of my seat, had some feels it is just IMO better than hunger games. Let me get to theWell I watched divergent...the movie I thought was just a rip off of the hunger games and...I WAS DEAD WRONG!!! let me tell you I LOVED this movie and I don't buy a lot of movies but I'm definitely picking this one up. I think it beats the hunger games by a long shot. It's darker, had me on the edge of my seat, had some feels it is just IMO better than hunger games. Let me get to the review because I could go on and on about how much I love this movie. The premise seemed hunger game like and the factions and even some themes are the same the movies are vastly different. The factions and story were amazing. I've seen themes like these before but my god this movie put them to good use and wasn't generic like I thought it was. The characters Triss and four were well rounded and full of personality. The dauntless faction (my favorite of course) was so entertaining watching the initiation, training, the hardships of war and suffering to come out stronger than ever. The way the twist came and the final act of the movie was intense, jaw dropping, Had me raging (in a good way) and had some MAJOR FEELS and doesn't need spoiling at all! The action, special effects, fight scenes, and actors were all amazing. It definitely is a great movie and deserves higher reviews and praise then I seen it been getting. This is hands down one of my fav movies and I only have a handful of favorites. It definitely shouldn't be passed off as generic or rip off in anyway. I highly recommend it to those who like the hunger games or other scifi young adult adventure films. I will definitely be seeing the sequels and reading the books (and I hardly ever read) I give this movie a 9.5. I really can't find anything wrong with it except the cliffhanger ending. It was just AMAZING. You owe it to yourself to watch this atleast give it a try who knows you might come out loving it like I did!! 9.5/10 Expand
  15. Sep 12, 2014
    “Divergent” has filled many teenagers with misguided anticipation for months. Neil Burger, director of the films “The Illusionist” (2011) and “Limitless” (2011), has created this film based off of Veronica Roth’s novel. This film was supposed to combine gripping action and tender romance. These two factors were supposed to generate “…the next big thing (The Wire)”. But this film did not do“Divergent” has filled many teenagers with misguided anticipation for months. Neil Burger, director of the films “The Illusionist” (2011) and “Limitless” (2011), has created this film based off of Veronica Roth’s novel. This film was supposed to combine gripping action and tender romance. These two factors were supposed to generate “…the next big thing (The Wire)”. But this film did not do enough to blow me off my seat. Shailene Woodley, the protagonist of this movie, plays Beatrice Prior. Her character is an awkward, daring, and combatant sixteen- year old who was born in a selfless faction called Abnegation. Despite her origins she chooses to live in Dauntless, a faction that does not know fear. There she consistently encounters and soon develops a relationship with Dauntless trainer Four, played by Theo James. However, despite the “unexpected” fight scenes and the “star crossed” co-stars, this film was repetitive, dull, and deficient to say the least.
    The first element of this movie that already disappointed me was the setting. As shown in the commercials, this movie takes place in a futuristic dystopian society. I am not sure if anyone else remembers, but there has been a recent movie with a similar atmosphere. If you cannot remember, I will be happy to let you know that it was the “Hunger Games”. I do not think Neil Burger or Veronica Roth would want to hear this, but this movie is like the demoted version of the “Hunger Games”. Manohla Dargis points out that the movie does offer the standard aspects for a teen flick, “…but the similarities
    between these young adult juggernauts are conspicuous in the extreme (The New York Times)”. In previews, the leaders of this society are attempting to place people in factions according to their identity. So it is already evident that there has to be some kind of distortion to break this cycle. This is where Shailene Woodley comes to the rescue. Since it is not a secret that she is Divergent, it is automatically clear that she is going to be the rebel of this film. This makes it even easier to realize where the movie is going. And the next place it shall go would also cause me more dissatisfaction.
    Once Beatrice “unexpectedly” arrives in the dauntless faction, she meets the withheld and painfully attractive transfer trainer Four. As the movie goes on, they magically realize that they are meant for each other. Now I love romance as much as the next person, but I think it is safe to say that the young audience needs a break from it. Just like ice cream, too much of it can make one sick. If you look back in all the recent teen love films, I think a lot of people would agree that the whole “Romeo and Juliet” trend needs to have a break for just a while. Los Angeles Film Critic, Kenneth Turan, supports this topic when he states that the movie “…really drags out the romantic uncertainty element… (LA Times)”. But besides the cliché adoration, there is one more thing that really displeased me.
    So far we have had numerous novel-based movies. And to name a few off the back we have had The Fault in Our Stars, Catching Fire, Hunger Games, The Host, and The Twilight Saga. Now that we have an addition of Divergent, I am beginning to question the passion behind these directors. When I see a consecutive line-up of novel-based films, I also see a lack of creativity. And the main thing that adds fuel to the fire is how agonizingly accurate this movie was to novel. If a director decides to make a movie that is based on a novel, they should go beyond the audiences’ expectations. This should really apply to adolescent films, which mostly consists of excitement and thrills. A movie should be so spectacular that a couple of glitches should not matter. Chicago Tribune Film Critic, Michael Phillips felt the same way when he said, “The movie version of ‘Divergent’ is no divergent. It goes along to get along. It’s tame, formulaic, and strictly by the book in every sense (Chicago Tribune)”. And I do not want to declare any director lazy if he or she creates a film from a work. But if you do go for it, go above and beyond the text. Because that will give some people the impression that you’re lethargic in originality.
    Surprisingly enough, there is one positive thing that I could take away from this movie. This is the second movie that has portrayed young women as being independent, strong, and superior. This exposure is diluting the “damsel in distress” trend that is often seen on television and in movies. And a lot of girls need to be reminded that they could also do a lot in society. Not going against an entire totalitarian system, per say, but in other things like in their community or in their careers. I am also aware there is suppose to be a second movie next year. I just hope that the director will be more daring the next time around. . Because their boldness might just be what the Divergent movies need to really become “…the next big thing (The Wire)”.
  16. Sep 10, 2014
    While it is at least thirty minutes to long, Divergent offers up a half way decent time. Comparisons with The Hunger Games are fair though its not as good, but not Twilight which still sits as one of the worst franchises in the last ten years. Shailene Woodley's presence on screen definitely helps make some of the less interesting things about the story at least watchable and contributesWhile it is at least thirty minutes to long, Divergent offers up a half way decent time. Comparisons with The Hunger Games are fair though its not as good, but not Twilight which still sits as one of the worst franchises in the last ten years. Shailene Woodley's presence on screen definitely helps make some of the less interesting things about the story at least watchable and contributes to a solid start to a new franchise. B Expand
  17. Sep 7, 2014
    This film offers some good moments that have you screwing up your face and you really do feel the emotion behind certain scenes. The storytelling is good, but it drags out a bit and there is not enough action. Ultimately, it misses out or just ignores little unanswered questions and fails to capitalize on the climax, it's really quite a boring ending. Worth a watch if you like waitingThis film offers some good moments that have you screwing up your face and you really do feel the emotion behind certain scenes. The storytelling is good, but it drags out a bit and there is not enough action. Ultimately, it misses out or just ignores little unanswered questions and fails to capitalize on the climax, it's really quite a boring ending. Worth a watch if you like waiting three years for a sequel, but I wouldn't recommend it as I personally hate unfinished stories and I don't think 'The World of Divergent' will make it to it's third 2-parter (yawn) instalment. Expand
  18. Sep 6, 2014
    In itself an interesting concept, the movie was riddled with cliches and was dragged out a lot longer than necessary. I'm not too sure about the actors either. Very mixed performances. But overall enjoyable, although not amazing in any way
  19. Sep 5, 2014
    Score: 6.7

Score: 6.7

It entertained me somewhat, but it wasn't that riveting or exciting. Divergent has many flaws that are kind of hard to ignore. The very structure of the world that exists in the Divergent movie and books is flawed and counter-productive. The world of Divergent society “makes no sense, except as a metaphor.” The movie and books are somewhat derivative and generic, and both make too many obvious attempts to make the main character relatable to its targeted female audience.

There isn’t much character development in the film; too many things feel clichéd. Tris/Beatrice doesn’t fit in, doesn’t belong, doesn’t live up to society’s expectations—oh wait, she’s unique and different! Every teenage girl can relate to that! I feel Veronica Roth specifically made the Divergent novels (which I have read, by the way) to cash in on the YA book/movie adaptation buzz that started due to the Hunger Games. (I own and have read the Hunger Games trilogy. I also have the book Divergent, and have read the whole Divergent trilogy as well.)

Trying to categorize an entire person's fluctuating and complex personality into one category based on one personality trait is stupid. Creating factions would promote rivalry and tension. Divergents are dangerous because…they can overcome their fears? Really? Most people do that eventually! The choosing ceremony could be more practical and sensible. Shailene Woodley’s acting scenes with fighting aren’t very convincing. I think more people should be able to remember that the simulation isn’t real, and therefore defy the tests and be…Divergents? Those darts they used (during that one game of Dauntless “Capture the Flag”) to simulate gunshot wounds/pain, couldn’t they use those and defeat armies non-lethally, therefore technically inventing an end to all wars?

Some characters and their actions don’t have their motivations explained in the movie. Too many things from the books are left out in the adaptation. Most of the changes are pointless and “hinder the emotional impact certain characters' decisions would otherwise have on the viewer.”

As another reviewer said well, “This movie doesn’t do much to be better than the other mediocre attempts at creating literary young adult novel franchises.” Despite all this, however, I still liked it enough that I’ll be watching the 2015 sequel “Insurgent”. It simply bothers me that the premise of the Divergent novels and movies are so IMPLAUSIBLE.

If you liked this review, please read my other ones on movies, TV shows, and videogames. I have reviewed 28 movies , including the 2014 films: The Expendables 3, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Guardians of the Galaxy, Sharknado 2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Edge of Tomorrow, X-Men Days of Future Past, Godzilla, Blended, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Transcendence, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Blended, The Lego Movie, and more. I also review TV shows, such as: TNT’s The Last Ship, Fox's Sleepy Hollow, ABC's Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, CW's The 100, Fox's I Wanna Marry Harry, NBC's Crisis, Fox's Gang Related, and more.
  20. Sep 4, 2014
    It's simple: if you want to see a good movie, go somewhere else. This is a terrible product, made to please those teenagers full of hormones and very little time to see or read something good.
    That girl "Woodley" reminds me of a fat uncle I had and the love story... soooooo bland.
  21. Sep 2, 2014
    This movie is complete drivel. It is made for people who thought Twilight was a great movie and the Hunger Games a masterpiece. If this is you, you may like this movie. For everyone else it just plain sucks.
  22. Aug 31, 2014
    Long story short: too long, un-charismatic femme lead, and tired premise (you've seen it before). Limited demographic of interest: pre/early-teens, adults will yawn - repeatedly.
  23. Aug 27, 2014
    People tend to compare Divergent to The Hunger Games. Yes you will feel that way in the beginning but after a while you will see it differently. It covers social issue, politics, action, youths and family. I love the soundtracks.
  24. Aug 22, 2014
    This is one of the best movies that has been made since Elysium with Matt Damon. All of the people complaining about it must be too unintelligent to realize the allegory in the movie, in addition to the cool action scenes and good screenwriting.

Even Hollywood is trying to wake us up about society, and yet people complain over the dumbest things because they don't understand the deeper meaning behind movies. and for the record, book to movie ports cannot be exact. It is a different media format that is being targeted to a different audience. I have also read the book, and yes it is better but that does not make this movie bad.

Also, this movie is nothing like Hunger Games. Hunger Games was retarded. This movie is far more realistic and intellectual.
  25. Aug 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Meh...
    Its pretty good...
    I watched the movie, then read the book, like a swag person, so keep that in mind...
    From a movie standpoint, its pretty good. The actors are not well known, but they are pretty good. Its well written and all, and everything is done well.
    Because Metacritic doesn't have book reviews, well, this will serve as my review for the book as well.
    Its good. The story is quite interesting. Chicago is one of the last remnants of civilization. Some war happened, of which the book speaks very little, and the city has divided into 5 factions. There is the dauntless, the faction to which the book revolves around, who believed that the world ended due to cowardice, therefore, they serve as the army. Then there are the ones who believed stupidity was the cause, and they serve as the smart people. Then there is the ones who believe it was liars, who serve as the justice system. Then there is the Mormon farmers, who believed sadness was the cause, and then the people who think it was due to people not conforming, who serve as the Gov't. Anyway, the whole thing about the book is that people take a test to determine which faction they belong in. But then there are those who don't belong in any, and are called divergent. They are considered a threat to the system of gov't because they can think and break the simulation, and well, ya. The protagonist is one of the Divergent. She chooses the army people, and half of the book/movie is based around her training. Then 2nd half of the book/movie is based around how the smart people try to take over the gov't by using the army with brainwashing and lots of killing. Granted,i've spoiled a lot of stuff already, but there is some interesting plot twists and turns and all that stuffs. Anyway, its a pretty good book/movie, and well, is a lot like hunger games. If you liked hunger games, you will like this. Simple.
  26. Aug 14, 2014
    If you like this movie and you are over 14 years of age you are probably mentally impaired. It is a blatant attempt to cash in on the Hunger Games but without any of the HGs redeeming features. The plot is completely an utterly nonsensical. In a nutshell, society is divided into 4 groups each of which can only specialize in one area of activity. This is a very, very, very big deal forIf you like this movie and you are over 14 years of age you are probably mentally impaired. It is a blatant attempt to cash in on the Hunger Games but without any of the HGs redeeming features. The plot is completely an utterly nonsensical. In a nutshell, society is divided into 4 groups each of which can only specialize in one area of activity. This is a very, very, very big deal for some reason. Of course, one of the groups does incredibly cool stuff and the rest are boring but because of movie logic no-one ever wants to join the cool group. Of course our hero joins the cool group (because, like 100% of the teenagers watching, she is different from everyone else and wants to be sexy and have adventures). However there is a problem....some people are even more different and are capable of specializing in more than one area of activity! This is a very very big deal for some reason and the bad people want to kill them. It would be confusing if it wasn't so stupid. Anyway there is fighting guns, muscly brooding guys with no shirts some light humour, and it all turns out fine in the end. Yawn. Expand
  27. Aug 10, 2014
    This movie was a complete waste of time. It was nothing more than a knockoff of The Hunger Games, only it didn't have the suspense, the action, the plot, or the Jennifer Lawrence of the Hunger Games. Overall, this movie is just a pointless movie mean to cash in on a book for teenage girls.
  28. Aug 10, 2014
    Although there could be something promising in the following films, this is just a been there and done that kind of film. Not the best. Shailene Woodley does an incredible job and will be quite the saving grace of this franchise. I give this film 38% of a good movie.
  29. Aug 8, 2014
    This was an average movie. The lead actress was too weak to captivate and the story just never drew you in. This was certainly no Hunger Games, but perhaps still worth the watch.
  30. Aug 2, 2014
    I went into this movie with no pretext of intentions. Well, no, that's not actually true, I went in thinking it was going to suck...

Comes out around the same time as the Hunger Game sequel, deals with similar stuff...yeah, ripoff, don't care whatever... Honestly? It wasn't that bad... Sure, there's a bit of a hunger games feel in certain spots, simply due to teens having to

Honestly? It wasn't that bad...

Sure, there's a bit of a hunger games feel in certain spots, simply due to teens having to choose factions or whatnot... but, that's not how it plays out.

It almost plays out like Equilibrium, except being from the kids point of view. It's not that they've denied emotion, just compartmentalized it.

SPOILER: I did a bit of research, and it turns out Chicago is just a big eugenics experiment, which explains a lot.

But even without that, it's not too hard to understand.

My biggest complaint is actually the acting in the 2nd half. It's weird but it almost seems like the actors/ancestresses become less comfortable with their roles as the movie goes on, as if it had been filmed in reverse.

It's not a total K.O. to the movie, but you can tell some of them are forcing their performances more than at the start.

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Apr 7, 2014
    Loyal to the novel, but welcoming enough for newbies, Divergent does a decent if not jawdropping job of bringing its dystopian world to life.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Apr 3, 2014
    The more you scrutinise the society Roth and these screenwriters have created, the more it seems a chintzily self-designed dystopia whose rules and entire infrastructure are pure cardboard.
  3. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    Mar 31, 2014
    Smart, tough and a little bit cool, this is an intriguing opening rather than a slam-dunk in its own right, but the cast - and especially Woodley - make it sufficiently diverting to merit a place in the action franchise ranks.