6.0

1. Sep 14, 2014
    Well I watched divergent...the movie I thought was just a rip off of the hunger games and...I WAS DEAD WRONG!!! let me tell you I LOVED this movie and I don't buy a lot of movies but I'm definitely picking this one up. I think it beats the hunger games by a long shot. It's darker, had me on the edge of my seat, had some feels it is just IMO better than hunger games. Let me get to the review because I could go on and on about how much I love this movie. The premise seemed hunger game like and the factions and even some themes are the same the movies are vastly different. The factions and story were amazing. I've seen themes like these before but my god this movie put them to good use and wasn't generic like I thought it was. The characters Triss and four were well rounded and full of personality. The dauntless faction (my favorite of course) was so entertaining watching the initiation, training, the hardships of war and suffering to come out stronger than ever. The way the twist came and the final act of the movie was intense, jaw dropping, Had me raging (in a good way) and had some MAJOR FEELS and doesn't need spoiling at all! The action, special effects, fight scenes, and actors were all amazing. It definitely is a great movie and deserves higher reviews and praise then I seen it been getting. This is hands down one of my fav movies and I only have a handful of favorites. It definitely shouldn't be passed off as generic or rip off in anyway. I highly recommend it to those who like the hunger games or other scifi young adult adventure films. I will definitely be seeing the sequels and reading the books (and I hardly ever read) I give this movie a 9.5. I really can't find anything wrong with it except the cliffhanger ending. It was just AMAZING. You owe it to yourself to watch this atleast give it a try who knows you might come out loving it like I did!! 9.5/10 Expand
  2. Sep 12, 2014
    “Divergent” has filled many teenagers with misguided anticipation for months. Neil Burger, director of the films “The Illusionist” (2011) and “Limitless” (2011), has created this film based off of Veronica Roth’s novel. This film was supposed to combine gripping action and tender romance. These two factors were supposed to generate “…the next big thing (The Wire)”. But this film did not do enough to blow me off my seat. Shailene Woodley, the protagonist of this movie, plays Beatrice Prior. Her character is an awkward, daring, and combatant sixteen- year old who was born in a selfless faction called Abnegation. Despite her origins she chooses to live in Dauntless, a faction that does not know fear. There she consistently encounters and soon develops a relationship with Dauntless trainer Four, played by Theo James. However, despite the “unexpected” fight scenes and the “star crossed” co-stars, this film was repetitive, dull, and deficient to say the least.
    The first element of this movie that already disappointed me was the setting. As shown in the commercials, this movie takes place in a futuristic dystopian society. I am not sure if anyone else remembers, but there has been a recent movie with a similar atmosphere. If you cannot remember, I will be happy to let you know that it was the “Hunger Games”. I do not think Neil Burger or Veronica Roth would want to hear this, but this movie is like the demoted version of the “Hunger Games”. Manohla Dargis points out that the movie does offer the standard aspects for a teen flick, “…but the similarities
    between these young adult juggernauts are conspicuous in the extreme (The New York Times)”. In previews, the leaders of this society are attempting to place people in factions according to their identity. So it is already evident that there has to be some kind of distortion to break this cycle. This is where Shailene Woodley comes to the rescue. Since it is not a secret that she is Divergent, it is automatically clear that she is going to be the rebel of this film. This makes it even easier to realize where the movie is going. And the next place it shall go would also cause me more dissatisfaction.
    Once Beatrice “unexpectedly” arrives in the dauntless faction, she meets the withheld and painfully attractive transfer trainer Four. As the movie goes on, they magically realize that they are meant for each other. Now I love romance as much as the next person, but I think it is safe to say that the young audience needs a break from it. Just like ice cream, too much of it can make one sick. If you look back in all the recent teen love films, I think a lot of people would agree that the whole “Romeo and Juliet” trend needs to have a break for just a while. Los Angeles Film Critic, Kenneth Turan, supports this topic when he states that the movie “…really drags out the romantic uncertainty element… (LA Times)”. But besides the cliché adoration, there is one more thing that really displeased me.
    So far we have had numerous novel-based movies. And to name a few off the back we have had The Fault in Our Stars, Catching Fire, Hunger Games, The Host, and The Twilight Saga. Now that we have an addition of Divergent, I am beginning to question the passion behind these directors. When I see a consecutive line-up of novel-based films, I also see a lack of creativity. And the main thing that adds fuel to the fire is how agonizingly accurate this movie was to novel. If a director decides to make a movie that is based on a novel, they should go beyond the audiences’ expectations. This should really apply to adolescent films, which mostly consists of excitement and thrills. A movie should be so spectacular that a couple of glitches should not matter. Chicago Tribune Film Critic, Michael Phillips felt the same way when he said, “The movie version of ‘Divergent’ is no divergent. It goes along to get along. It’s tame, formulaic, and strictly by the book in every sense (Chicago Tribune)”. And I do not want to declare any director lazy if he or she creates a film from a work. But if you do go for it, go above and beyond the text. Because that will give some people the impression that you’re lethargic in originality.
    Surprisingly enough, there is one positive thing that I could take away from this movie. This is the second movie that has portrayed young women as being independent, strong, and superior. This exposure is diluting the “damsel in distress” trend that is often seen on television and in movies. And a lot of girls need to be reminded that they could also do a lot in society. Not going against an entire totalitarian system, per say, but in other things like in their community or in their careers. I am also aware there is suppose to be a second movie next year. I just hope that the director will be more daring the next time around. . Because their boldness might just be what the Divergent movies need to really become “…the next big thing (The Wire)”.
  3. Sep 10, 2014
    While it is at least thirty minutes to long, Divergent offers up a half way decent time. Comparisons with The Hunger Games are fair though its not as good, but not Twilight which still sits as one of the worst franchises in the last ten years. Shailene Woodley's presence on screen definitely helps make some of the less interesting things about the story at least watchable and contributes to a solid start to a new franchise. B Expand
  4. Sep 7, 2014
    This film offers some good moments that have you screwing up your face and you really do feel the emotion behind certain scenes. The storytelling is good, but it drags out a bit and there is not enough action. Ultimately, it misses out or just ignores little unanswered questions and fails to capitalize on the climax, it's really quite a boring ending. Worth a watch if you like waiting three years for a sequel, but I wouldn't recommend it as I personally hate unfinished stories and I don't think 'The World of Divergent' will make it to it's third 2-parter (yawn) instalment. Expand
  5. Sep 6, 2014
    In itself an interesting concept, the movie was riddled with cliches and was dragged out a lot longer than necessary. I'm not too sure about the actors either. Very mixed performances. But overall enjoyable, although not amazing in any way
  6. Sep 5, 2014
    Score: 6.7

It entertained me somewhat, but it wasn't that riveting or exciting. Divergent has many flaws that are kind of hard to ignore. The very structure of the world that exists in the Divergent movie and books is flawed and counter-productive. The world of Divergent society “makes no sense, except as a metaphor.” The movie and books are somewhat derivative and generic, and both
    make too many obvious attempts to make the main character relatable to its targeted female audience.

There isn’t much character development in the film; too many things feel clichéd. Tris/Beatrice doesn’t fit in, doesn’t belong, doesn’t live up to society’s expectations—oh wait, she’s unique and different! Every teenage girl can relate to that! I feel Veronica Roth specifically made the Divergent novels (which I have read, by the way) to cash in on the YA book/movie adaptation buzz that started due to the Hunger Games. (I own and have read the Hunger Games trilogy. I also have the book Divergent, and have read the whole Divergent trilogy as well.)

Trying to categorize an entire person's fluctuating and complex personality into one category based on one personality trait is stupid. Creating factions would promote rivalry and tension. Divergents are dangerous because…they can overcome their fears? Really? Most people do that eventually! The choosing ceremony could be more practical and sensible. Shailene Woodley’s acting scenes with fighting aren’t very convincing. I think more people should be able to remember that the simulation isn’t real, and therefore defy the tests and be…Divergents? Those darts they used (during that one game of Dauntless “Capture the Flag”) to simulate gunshot wounds/pain, couldn’t they use those and defeat armies non-lethally, therefore technically inventing an end to all wars?

Some characters and their actions don’t have their motivations explained in the movie. Too many things from the books are left out in the adaptation. Most of the changes are pointless and “hinder the emotional impact certain characters' decisions would otherwise have on the viewer.”

As another reviewer said well, “This movie doesn’t do much to be better than the other mediocre attempts at creating literary young adult novel franchises.” Despite all this, however, I still liked it enough that I’ll be watching the 2015 sequel “Insurgent”. It simply bothers me that the premise of the Divergent novels and movies are so IMPLAUSIBLE.

If you liked this review, please read my other ones on movies, TV shows, and videogames. I have reviewed 28 movies , including the 2014 films: The Expendables 3, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Guardians of the Galaxy, Sharknado 2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Edge of Tomorrow, X-Men Days of Future Past, Godzilla, Blended, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Transcendence, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Blended, The Lego Movie, and more. I also review TV shows, such as: TNT’s The Last Ship, Fox's Sleepy Hollow, ABC's Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, CW's The 100, Fox's I Wanna Marry Harry, NBC's Crisis, Fox's Gang Related, and more.
  7. Sep 4, 2014
    It's simple: if you want to see a good movie, go somewhere else. This is a terrible product, made to please those teenagers full of hormones and very little time to see or read something good.
    That girl "Woodley" reminds me of a fat uncle I had and the love story... soooooo bland.
  8. Sep 2, 2014
    This movie is complete drivel. It is made for people who thought Twilight was a great movie and the Hunger Games a masterpiece. If this is you, you may like this movie. For everyone else it just plain sucks.
  9. Aug 31, 2014
    Long story short: too long, un-charismatic femme lead, and tired premise (you've seen it before). Limited demographic of interest: pre/early-teens, adults will yawn - repeatedly.
  10. Aug 27, 2014
    People tend to compare Divergent to The Hunger Games. Yes you will feel that way in the beginning but after a while you will see it differently. It covers social issue, politics, action, youths and family. I love the soundtracks.
  11. Aug 22, 2014
    This is one of the best movies that has been made since Elysium with Matt Damon. All of the people complaining about it must be too unintelligent to realize the allegory in the movie, in addition to the cool action scenes and good screenwriting.

Even Hollywood is trying to wake us up about society, and yet people complain over the dumbest things because they don't understand the deeper
    meaning behind movies. and for the record, book to movie ports cannot be exact. It is a different media format that is being targeted to a different audience. I have also read the book, and yes it is better but that does not make this movie bad.

Also, this movie is nothing like Hunger Games. Hunger Games was retarded. This movie is far more realistic and intellectual.
  12. Aug 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Meh...
    Its pretty good...
    I watched the movie, then read the book, like a swag person, so keep that in mind...
    From a movie standpoint, its pretty good. The actors are not well known, but they are pretty good. Its well written and all, and everything is done well.
    Because Metacritic doesn't have book reviews, well, this will serve as my review for the book as well.
    Its good. The story is quite interesting. Chicago is one of the last remnants of civilization. Some war happened, of which the book speaks very little, and the city has divided into 5 factions. There is the dauntless, the faction to which the book revolves around, who believed that the world ended due to cowardice, therefore, they serve as the army. Then there are the ones who believed stupidity was the cause, and they serve as the smart people. Then there is the ones who believe it was liars, who serve as the justice system. Then there is the Mormon farmers, who believed sadness was the cause, and then the people who think it was due to people not conforming, who serve as the Gov't. Anyway, the whole thing about the book is that people take a test to determine which faction they belong in. But then there are those who don't belong in any, and are called divergent. They are considered a threat to the system of gov't because they can think and break the simulation, and well, ya. The protagonist is one of the Divergent. She chooses the army people, and half of the book/movie is based around her training. Then 2nd half of the book/movie is based around how the smart people try to take over the gov't by using the army with brainwashing and lots of killing. Granted,i've spoiled a lot of stuff already, but there is some interesting plot twists and turns and all that stuffs. Anyway, its a pretty good book/movie, and well, is a lot like hunger games. If you liked hunger games, you will like this. Simple.
  13. Aug 14, 2014
    If you like this movie and you are over 14 years of age you are probably mentally impaired. It is a blatant attempt to cash in on the Hunger Games but without any of the HGs redeeming features. The plot is completely an utterly nonsensical. In a nutshell, society is divided into 4 groups each of which can only specialize in one area of activity. This is a very, very, very big deal for some reason. Of course, one of the groups does incredibly cool stuff and the rest are boring but because of movie logic no-one ever wants to join the cool group. Of course our hero joins the cool group (because, like 100% of the teenagers watching, she is different from everyone else and wants to be sexy and have adventures). However there is a problem....some people are even more different and are capable of specializing in more than one area of activity! This is a very very big deal for some reason and the bad people want to kill them. It would be confusing if it wasn't so stupid. Anyway there is fighting guns, muscly brooding guys with no shirts some light humour, and it all turns out fine in the end. Yawn. Expand
  14. Aug 10, 2014
    This movie was a complete waste of time. It was nothing more than a knockoff of The Hunger Games, only it didn't have the suspense, the action, the plot, or the Jennifer Lawrence of the Hunger Games. Overall, this movie is just a pointless movie mean to cash in on a book for teenage girls.
  15. Aug 10, 2014
    Although there could be something promising in the following films, this is just a been there and done that kind of film. Not the best. Shailene Woodley does an incredible job and will be quite the saving grace of this franchise. I give this film 38% of a good movie.
  16. Aug 8, 2014
    This was an average movie. The lead actress was too weak to captivate and the story just never drew you in. This was certainly no Hunger Games, but perhaps still worth the watch.
  17. Aug 2, 2014
    I went into this movie with no pretext of intentions. Well, no, that's not actually true, I went in thinking it was going to suck... Comes out around the same time as the Hunger Game sequel, deals with similar stuff...yeah, ripoff, don't care whatever... Honestly? It wasn't that bad... Sure, there's a bit of a hunger games feel in certain spots, simply due to teens having to choose factions or whatnot... but, that's not how it plays out.

It almost plays out like Equilibrium, except being from the kids point of view. It's not that they've denied emotion, just compartmentalized it.

SPOILER: I did a bit of research, and it turns out Chicago is just a big eugenics experiment, which explains a lot.

But even without that, it's not too hard to understand.

My biggest complaint is actually the acting in the 2nd half. It's weird but it almost seems like the actors/ancestresses become less comfortable with their roles as the movie goes on, as if it had been filmed in reverse.

It's not a total K.O. to the movie, but you can tell some of them are forcing their performances more than at the start.
  18. Aug 1, 2014
    Divergent, sin dudas, está un poco infravalorada, el film es entretenido y su historia es interesante, le hace falta mejores críticas de las que tiene, ya que la película, en general, es buena.
  19. Jul 29, 2014
    Divergent arrives with a whimper in the crowded post - Harry Potter young adult franchises largely due to it's failure in generating thrills for most of the movie and it's overly derivative plot.
  20. Jul 28, 2014
    "Divergent" feels like a "Hunger Games" copy-paste. This is not due to film but to the book. Its dystopian premise is pretty spectacular, but it is not something new. It seems sophisticated at the beginning but eventually it turns out to be a generic young-adult adventure, without actually many things happening. Acting and directing are not awful at all, but the comparison to "The Hunger Games" is inevitable, mainly due to their contemporary release. The whole movie feels like it was created for the single purpose of making money out of the former franchise's success. Expand
  21. Jul 27, 2014
    While its premise is a little silly, Divergent manages to be entertaining even with noticeably bad and corny moments. I was impressed enough to be interested in what happens next.
  22. Jul 27, 2014
    Not up to the caliber of " The Hunger Games" but a solid film that gives a good dose of excitement in the final 30 minutes. Divergent might be a tad long but good acting by Winslet and Woodley make for an interesting series to come.
  23. Jul 27, 2014
    Since it seems like a must, I'll admit I haven't read the books. Not that they are literature anyway. But this allows me to give an unbiased review, not conditioned by my previous opinion of the books. One more thing about the books: any book is better than any adaptation, we've experienced this many times, and there still seem to be people who expect the movie to be at the same level, or even better, than the books. That has never happened.

Anyway, the film was yet another dumb post-apocalyptic action/romance mix, which I've never liked, although I have to admit it's not worse than the Hunger Games. Now, the premise was kind of good: the idea of the factions in particular. But, as always, they've managed to ruin everything with lousy, cheesy dialogue, which we've heard just as many times as many movies like this are out there, and with an immediate look at the characters' first introductions we could decide, right away, if they were good or evil. And the thing is, they stay that way till the end. I call that lack of character development.

The actors were good, I just didn't expect Kate Winslet to involve in such a stupid script. The cinematography was okay, I guess, but then again I'm not an expert in this genre so I might be wrong: from what I read in the reviews it sounds like the consensus veers towards bad special fx. Divergent is nothing special, as expected, and adds nothing to the already inextinguishable stockpile of action carap.
  24. Jul 26, 2014
    Shailene Woodley is the worst choice for this movie and this is bad because she is near all the 2 hours . she is so **** dull unlike ashley judd (the mother) she was awesome . theo james is another bad choice . i only wish they do better next time after they know their roles better . never read the book but its simply great story .
  25. Jul 25, 2014
    Divergent is one the most intense films I have seen all year, I have never read the books but Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Miles Tiller, Kate Winslet (Basically everyone in this movie) did a great job, even with similarities it is enough with its own thing.
  26. Jul 25, 2014
    I prefer to and usually suspend story flaws when watching Sci-Fi or action movies BUT ... in this movie when Four and Be-a-Triss are caught by the enemy and they are NOT killed on-the-spot like all of the other Divergents .... I lost all interest in the too long plot and too many weak characters. As in ... the movie characters. The acting is very strong but this all gets kinda lost in the weak story. I really found myself not caring about how the movie was going to end. I just wanted it to end like .... much sooner ! Expand
  27. Jul 24, 2014
    I watched this movie with no expectations, and Wow... this is film is an eye pleaser! I very much enjoyed the story, can't wait to see the sequels Insurgent and Allegiant Parts 1 & 2! Neil Burger did a great job directing! Top notch action, drama, sci-fi film so far this year...!
  28. Jul 24, 2014
    Definitely I love this movie very interesting and as a viewer I could understand what the movie is all about. To me I prefer this movie to Hunger games. I can recommend Divergent to anybody to watch.
  29. Jul 24, 2014
    The acting is generic (pretty much the norm for any film focused around teenagers), The plot is seriously lacking and painfully uninteresting, and the character development is almost non-existent. It did not take long for me to lose interest once I realized how crappy of a movie it was going to be. Don't even bother with it.
  30. Jul 24, 2014
    "Divergent" has an outstanding cast but the director wastes them in a script that borrows heavily from Harry Potter, Twilight series and Hunger Games.

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Apr 7, 2014
    Loyal to the novel, but welcoming enough for newbies, Divergent does a decent if not jawdropping job of bringing its dystopian world to life.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Apr 3, 2014
    The more you scrutinise the society Roth and these screenwriters have created, the more it seems a chintzily self-designed dystopia whose rules and entire infrastructure are pure cardboard.
  3. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    Mar 31, 2014
    Smart, tough and a little bit cool, this is an intriguing opening rather than a slam-dunk in its own right, but the cast - and especially Woodley - make it sufficiently diverting to merit a place in the action franchise ranks.