5.9

1. Dec 4, 2014
    Another bad movie released this year. Story is not very good. Acting is not very good. I was bored most of the time. This entire idea about how they are divided into factions is pretty stupid to me.
  2. Nov 10, 2014
    Divergent arrives with a whimper in the crowded post - Harry Potter young adult franchises largely due to it's failure in generating thrills for most of the movie and it's overly derivative plot.
  3. Oct 2, 2014
    Terrible...just...awful. Do not spend money on this movie, and make sure that you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BETTER TO DO for 2.5 hours. Horrible acting. The lead has resting **** face the whole time, and she is just entirely awkward. The rest of the cast is still pretty bad, but not as bad as her. Avoid eating anything while she is doing her sob scene; something happened to her face thatTerrible...just...awful. Do not spend money on this movie, and make sure that you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BETTER TO DO for 2.5 hours. Horrible acting. The lead has resting **** face the whole time, and she is just entirely awkward. The rest of the cast is still pretty bad, but not as bad as her. Avoid eating anything while she is doing her sob scene; something happened to her face that just aint right. Ashley Judd, Kate Winslet...I expect more from you; why are you associating yourself with this crap. Expand
  4. Sep 25, 2014
    Lame and just downright stupid copy of the hunger games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Sep 12, 2014
    “Divergent” has filled many teenagers with misguided anticipation for months. Neil Burger, director of the films “The Illusionist” (2011) and “Limitless” (2011), has created this film based off of Veronica Roth’s novel. This film was supposed to combine gripping action and tender romance. These two factors were supposed to generate “…the next big thing (The Wire)”. But this film did not do“Divergent” has filled many teenagers with misguided anticipation for months. Neil Burger, director of the films “The Illusionist” (2011) and “Limitless” (2011), has created this film based off of Veronica Roth’s novel. This film was supposed to combine gripping action and tender romance. These two factors were supposed to generate “…the next big thing (The Wire)”. But this film did not do enough to blow me off my seat. Shailene Woodley, the protagonist of this movie, plays Beatrice Prior. Her character is an awkward, daring, and combatant sixteen- year old who was born in a selfless faction called Abnegation. Despite her origins she chooses to live in Dauntless, a faction that does not know fear. There she consistently encounters and soon develops a relationship with Dauntless trainer Four, played by Theo James. However, despite the “unexpected” fight scenes and the “star crossed” co-stars, this film was repetitive, dull, and deficient to say the least.
    The first element of this movie that already disappointed me was the setting. As shown in the commercials, this movie takes place in a futuristic dystopian society. I am not sure if anyone else remembers, but there has been a recent movie with a similar atmosphere. If you cannot remember, I will be happy to let you know that it was the “Hunger Games”. I do not think Neil Burger or Veronica Roth would want to hear this, but this movie is like the demoted version of the “Hunger Games”. Manohla Dargis points out that the movie does offer the standard aspects for a teen flick, “…but the similarities
    between these young adult juggernauts are conspicuous in the extreme (The New York Times)”. In previews, the leaders of this society are attempting to place people in factions according to their identity. So it is already evident that there has to be some kind of distortion to break this cycle. This is where Shailene Woodley comes to the rescue. Since it is not a secret that she is Divergent, it is automatically clear that she is going to be the rebel of this film. This makes it even easier to realize where the movie is going. And the next place it shall go would also cause me more dissatisfaction.
    Once Beatrice “unexpectedly” arrives in the dauntless faction, she meets the withheld and painfully attractive transfer trainer Four. As the movie goes on, they magically realize that they are meant for each other. Now I love romance as much as the next person, but I think it is safe to say that the young audience needs a break from it. Just like ice cream, too much of it can make one sick. If you look back in all the recent teen love films, I think a lot of people would agree that the whole “Romeo and Juliet” trend needs to have a break for just a while. Los Angeles Film Critic, Kenneth Turan, supports this topic when he states that the movie “…really drags out the romantic uncertainty element… (LA Times)”. But besides the cliché adoration, there is one more thing that really displeased me.
    So far we have had numerous novel-based movies. And to name a few off the back we have had The Fault in Our Stars, Catching Fire, Hunger Games, The Host, and The Twilight Saga. Now that we have an addition of Divergent, I am beginning to question the passion behind these directors. When I see a consecutive line-up of novel-based films, I also see a lack of creativity. And the main thing that adds fuel to the fire is how agonizingly accurate this movie was to novel. If a director decides to make a movie that is based on a novel, they should go beyond the audiences’ expectations. This should really apply to adolescent films, which mostly consists of excitement and thrills. A movie should be so spectacular that a couple of glitches should not matter. Chicago Tribune Film Critic, Michael Phillips felt the same way when he said, “The movie version of ‘Divergent’ is no divergent. It goes along to get along. It’s tame, formulaic, and strictly by the book in every sense (Chicago Tribune)”. And I do not want to declare any director lazy if he or she creates a film from a work. But if you do go for it, go above and beyond the text. Because that will give some people the impression that you’re lethargic in originality.
    Surprisingly enough, there is one positive thing that I could take away from this movie. This is the second movie that has portrayed young women as being independent, strong, and superior. This exposure is diluting the “damsel in distress” trend that is often seen on television and in movies. And a lot of girls need to be reminded that they could also do a lot in society. Not going against an entire totalitarian system, per say, but in other things like in their community or in their careers. I am also aware there is suppose to be a second movie next year. I just hope that the director will be more daring the next time around. . Because their boldness might just be what the Divergent movies need to really become “…the next big thing (The Wire)”.
  6. Sep 4, 2014
    It's simple: if you want to see a good movie, go somewhere else. This is a terrible product, made to please those teenagers full of hormones and very little time to see or read something good.
    That girl "Woodley" reminds me of a fat uncle I had and the love story... soooooo bland.
  7. Sep 2, 2014
    This movie is complete drivel. It is made for people who thought Twilight was a great movie and the Hunger Games a masterpiece. If this is you, you may like this movie. For everyone else it just plain sucks.
  8. Aug 31, 2014
    Long story short: too long, un-charismatic femme lead, and tired premise (you've seen it before). Limited demographic of interest: pre/early-teens, adults will yawn - repeatedly.
  9. Aug 14, 2014
    If you like this movie and you are over 14 years of age you are probably mentally impaired. It is a blatant attempt to cash in on the Hunger Games but without any of the HGs redeeming features. The plot is completely an utterly nonsensical. In a nutshell, society is divided into 4 groups each of which can only specialize in one area of activity. This is a very, very, very big deal forIf you like this movie and you are over 14 years of age you are probably mentally impaired. It is a blatant attempt to cash in on the Hunger Games but without any of the HGs redeeming features. The plot is completely an utterly nonsensical. In a nutshell, society is divided into 4 groups each of which can only specialize in one area of activity. This is a very, very, very big deal for some reason. Of course, one of the groups does incredibly cool stuff and the rest are boring but because of movie logic no-one ever wants to join the cool group. Of course our hero joins the cool group (because, like 100% of the teenagers watching, she is different from everyone else and wants to be sexy and have adventures). However there is a problem....some people are even more different and are capable of specializing in more than one area of activity! This is a very very big deal for some reason and the bad people want to kill them. It would be confusing if it wasn't so stupid. Anyway there is fighting guns, muscly brooding guys with no shirts some light humour, and it all turns out fine in the end. Yawn. Expand
  10. Aug 10, 2014
    This movie was a complete waste of time. It was nothing more than a knockoff of The Hunger Games, only it didn't have the suspense, the action, the plot, or the Jennifer Lawrence of the Hunger Games. Overall, this movie is just a pointless movie mean to cash in on a book for teenage girls.
  11. Aug 10, 2014
    Although there could be something promising in the following films, this is just a been there and done that kind of film. Not the best. Shailene Woodley does an incredible job and will be quite the saving grace of this franchise. I give this film 38% of a good movie.
  12. Jul 29, 2014
  13. Jul 28, 2014
    "Divergent" feels like a "Hunger Games" copy-paste. This is not due to film but to the book. Its dystopian premise is pretty spectacular, but it is not something new. It seems sophisticated at the beginning but eventually it turns out to be a generic young-adult adventure, without actually many things happening. Acting and directing are not awful at all, but the comparison to "The Hunger"Divergent" feels like a "Hunger Games" copy-paste. This is not due to film but to the book. Its dystopian premise is pretty spectacular, but it is not something new. It seems sophisticated at the beginning but eventually it turns out to be a generic young-adult adventure, without actually many things happening. Acting and directing are not awful at all, but the comparison to "The Hunger Games" is inevitable, mainly due to their contemporary release. The whole movie feels like it was created for the single purpose of making money out of the former franchise's success. Expand
  14. Jul 27, 2014
    Since it seems like a must, I'll admit I haven't read the books. Not that they are literature anyway. But this allows me to give an unbiased review, not conditioned by my previous opinion of the books. One more thing about the books: any book is better than any adaptation, we've experienced this many times, and there still seem to be people who expect the movie to be at the same level, orSince it seems like a must, I'll admit I haven't read the books. Not that they are literature anyway. But this allows me to give an unbiased review, not conditioned by my previous opinion of the books. One more thing about the books: any book is better than any adaptation, we've experienced this many times, and there still seem to be people who expect the movie to be at the same level, or even better, than the books. That has never happened.

Anyway, the film was yet another dumb post-apocalyptic action/romance mix, which I've never liked, although I have to admit it's not worse than the Hunger Games. Now, the premise was kind of good: the idea of the factions in particular. But, as always, they've managed to ruin everything with lousy, cheesy dialogue, which we've heard just as many times as many movies like this are out there, and with an immediate look at the characters' first introductions we could decide, right away, if they were good or evil. And the thing is, they stay that way till the end. I call that lack of character development.

The actors were good, I just didn't expect Kate Winslet to involve in such a stupid script. The cinematography was okay, I guess, but then again I'm not an expert in this genre so I might be wrong: from what I read in the reviews it sounds like the consensus veers towards bad special fx. Divergent is nothing special, as expected, and adds nothing to the already inextinguishable stockpile of action carap.
  15. Jul 26, 2014
    Shailene Woodley is the worst choice for this movie and this is bad because she is near all the 2 hours . she is so **** dull unlike ashley judd (the mother) she was awesome . theo james is another bad choice . i only wish they do better next time after they know their roles better . never read the book but its simply great story .
  16. Jul 25, 2014
    I prefer to and usually suspend story flaws when watching Sci-Fi or action movies BUT ... in this movie when Four and Be-a-Triss are caught by the enemy and they are NOT killed on-the-spot like all of the other Divergents .... I lost all interest in the too long plot and too many weak characters. As in ... the movie characters. The acting is very strong but this all gets kinda lost in theI prefer to and usually suspend story flaws when watching Sci-Fi or action movies BUT ... in this movie when Four and Be-a-Triss are caught by the enemy and they are NOT killed on-the-spot like all of the other Divergents .... I lost all interest in the too long plot and too many weak characters. As in ... the movie characters. The acting is very strong but this all gets kinda lost in the weak story. I really found myself not caring about how the movie was going to end. I just wanted it to end like .... much sooner ! Expand
  17. Jul 24, 2014
    The acting is generic (pretty much the norm for any film focused around teenagers), The plot is seriously lacking and painfully uninteresting, and the character development is almost non-existent. It did not take long for me to lose interest once I realized how crappy of a movie it was going to be. Don't even bother with it.
  18. Jul 24, 2014
    "Divergent" has an outstanding cast but the director wastes them in a script that borrows heavily from Harry Potter, Twilight series and Hunger Games.
  19. May 31, 2014
    A simplistic revolution plot stretched out to a painful 2.5 hours with no gratifying resolution. The hour spent watching the protagonist train was filler that never connected with the plot It felt less like a movie and more like a TNT miniseries.
  20. May 10, 2014
    I honestly did not like it. They did not show the important part and not even mention important characters. Dont watch it dont spend your money. When i saw it it ruined my day.
  21. May 3, 2014
    Wow this movie was as boring as predicted, the acting is not that bad....but not very interesting. It looks like a cheap cash grab "hunger games" wanna be movie. Stay away until it comes out on DVD for a buck.
  22. May 3, 2014
    It is said that books are always better than than the movies, well in this case is true. Roth's effort in describing each character in the book is absolutely mismatched in the movie. They just scratched the surface when it comes to giving relevance to each character. If you loved the book, you will get a feeling of disappointment once you have finished watching it, knowing that it couldIt is said that books are always better than than the movies, well in this case is true. Roth's effort in describing each character in the book is absolutely mismatched in the movie. They just scratched the surface when it comes to giving relevance to each character. If you loved the book, you will get a feeling of disappointment once you have finished watching it, knowing that it could have been a much better movie. Expand
  23. Apr 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best movie ever, I loved it sooooooooooooooooo much, the book is **** but the movie is amazing, you must watch it in the movie theater. The protagonist is so beautiful, inteligent and smart, I LOVE HER Expand
  24. Apr 18, 2014
    I read the book before going to see this film and really enjoyed it. Despite the generic, futuristic teen plot it was still a good read. However as someone who read the book I found the film to be a disappointment. Much of the plot had been removed or changed and I understand poetic license but some of it was just unnecessary. It missed out some huge plot points that made it difficult toI read the book before going to see this film and really enjoyed it. Despite the generic, futuristic teen plot it was still a good read. However as someone who read the book I found the film to be a disappointment. Much of the plot had been removed or changed and I understand poetic license but some of it was just unnecessary. It missed out some huge plot points that made it difficult to connect with any of the characters on screen. However I do think the addition scenes with Kate Winslet were helpful to the plot and most of the casting was spot on. Expand
  25. Apr 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are teenager or you acting like that you are welcome to see that film.
    If you have protest soul and don't have enough brain muscle in your head you are welcome to see that film
    Everything is trivial and understandable from first minute, o begging your pardon not from first, from 10s minute everything is understandable.
    A good pretty girl who will safe our world one more, o dear, why they thing ( I'm talking about directors) that in every movie main characters need to safe our world could you make movie where people don't safe the world but still doing something good, is it possible ?
    Good movie to see doing something as cleaning your house or playing some good game.
  26. Apr 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *WARNING SPOILERS*
    Holy cluster **** Let me first start by saying that this movie was one of the worse movie ever. The writers obviously didn't even pretend to make it realistic in anyway. The makers must just wanted to make money out of this and had no interest in making it a quality movie. This cliched , idiotic premise, and cheesy filled movie just kept crumbling down as the movie dragged along. The whole premise of creating five factions to promote peace is probably thee or the second dumbest idea I've ever heard. Creating fractions automatically creates tension. This is not even the tip of the iceberg.

We get to the test to decide what fraction you should be in (rip off of Harry potter by the way). The person is told its a test and given a drug that enhances your dream world. Giving you a test to choice what to do. Any capable mental person would obviously know its not a dream. Maybe the drug gives the dreamer a huge sense of fear...can we explain this please.

The word Divergent is for someone who has no fear, which in fact is totally unrealistic. This allows a different prospective ideas and ideals that span across each fraction. The thing that makes no sense is the fact that they allows people to jump to a different fraction. Isn't that almost like being divergent. Tell me I'm wrong please.

The protectors was this rag tag group of people who jump out of trains while moving, that jump into them while moving, and do all this crazy stuff. The brilliant creators has this smart idea to put this out of control bunch of people in charge of the safety and security of the "colony".

Talking about the fractions. Abnegations hold office and are the leaders of the society. The problem I have here is the fact that they really don't do much. It seems like they're not really in charge at all. The movie doesn't even explain anything about the process of making law. Do the abnegations make law, give it to Candors, and then the leaders signs it or something? Also the leaders live in one of the **** places in the whole society.

Now lets jump back on track.
    The Ceremony:
    You have these young kids cut themselves (which could cause infection and what knows what) to decide what fraction to go into. What reason exactly? To make it look cool or something? Can anyone example the significance of it? It doesn't explain that at all. Why could you just thrown the **** or anything else?

Now we get to the middle of the movie where it wasn't that bad. It started off shaky but turned to be a pretty good movie. It was at about a 3.5/5 at one point until of course it started to fall apart at a colossal rate.

The movie does a great job showing this society that's eaten itself apart and it's moments away from falling apart. We see get this test to determine if you have what it takes to be in the fraction. I understand that most actors don't know how to fight and I get that. Though you would think that they would bring in trainers that can actually teach someone how to fight. Woodley looked like a ****ing idiot out there. She was punching like she was Parkinson's disease. It was as if she was trying to have a **** fight with a labradoodle. It was quite embarrassing. Then you have this weird hand position of the hands that would never ****ing work. Now I'm not an expert in fighting (though I do do karate). That hand position will not protect **** and will actually cause your hand to come back and pop you in the face. Okay yes the position of a person doesn't determine how bad a movie is. Stick with me.

So then we go through test after test of getting to know someone. The tests were pretty awesome and seemed to be a highlight. Though you have Woodley; who basically fails at every test, all of a sudden gets this holly light in her. she didn't receive any major help. Tris moves up the ranks and makes the cut.
    Yeepy!
    You don't really see any of the outcasts though. They are just thrown out without an acknowledgement. Whatever at this point.

One side note:
    The movie was extremely sappy, but i should have know that coming in.

The Ending:

Then the ending starts to roll around and all hell of idiocy happens. We first learn about this "army" that four shows us. You know kids out there and few people of an apocalyptic outcome. When you see an army that's being made up and constructed; will you please tell someone besides your girlfriend. You would think that if there's a rumor of an overthrow; that some one would get a hold of it. They would then get this information and do something about it. You would also think that Abnegation would confront the issue. They're the leaders of the control for god's sake.

Four then comes to the conclusion that they are building an army on the sole mariet of Erudite bringing in supplies in to Dauntlet's place. Maybe the leaders would have killed him for bringing up questions. I would tell you to go to other fractions. Another problem could have occurred.
    What if they stopped him?
    A. but then how did Tris get out so easily.

Maybe they wouldn't have listened to him?

I'm pretty sure when they hear this "rumor" of an overthrow; they would have listened. The fraction to go to would have been Abnegation. That's the exact fraction trying to get wiped out. Also why in god's name would the Dauntless be on the side of the erudite in the first place. What do they get out of this? Would they become military "slaves" of the erudites? Why get rid of a peaceful people like the abnegation? They seem to be hated throughout the movie with no explanation.

So now the army that's created by this serum that makes their own people turn into "zombie". These zombies kill and don't ask questions. The premise is the fact that Divergents don't get affected by it. Why? No explanation is need I guess.

Let's get the fan fact of why the movie was one of the worse movies I've seen. The decisions of the characters was like a five year old was making them. These decisions were dosed in cliches and lit with some bad acting.

Let me combine both of them in my next paragraph. I'll just start off this section by examining the ending other. I'll be here all day if it was the whole movie. The audiences watch as the two main characters pretend to be zombies while Daughtless takes over the homes in Abnegation.

First, they watch one of the people shot as they walk by them. You're a zombie! Please act like it. They then run in Triss's house while screaming their heads off for her parents. There are people outside killing other people. They can hear you and obviously you're not a zombie if you're screaming your head off.

Later they get stoppped by the head guys of Daughtless. They have their cliched laugh of the warrior in Four looking like an mindless idiot. They then all of a sudden notice that he's Divergent. The cliched "everyone has a gun and everyone is pointing at someone" occurs. Stalemate right? Well it didn't have to be if the dumb **** would have just shot both of them in the head from point blank range. They get caught and another cliche appears. "The main character gets away. The friend or family member gets caught". A cliche comes yet again. The "hero is saved from some random person out of nowhere".

Tris goes with her mom into the city to find the group. We get to a part where they are confronted and they kill the evil people. Cool. They come to the end of the alleyway, where the mom stops her and said "cover me". From what! The end of the alleyway was nothing but grass and open space.

Cliche alert again: "no I got this, cover me" type **** comes from Triss. What the F? Why the hell do you need to be covered? A truck then comes around the corner and people start shooting. So did they hear that? If yes then why didn't you just ****ing wait in the alley and let the car go by? I don't get that concept at all. Let's just run into the middle of the field by yourself, so your mom has to save your ass and get killed (cliche by the way). The mom dies and she finds the group. They then go stop the slaughter before it kills all of Abnegation. Tris finds guns on the people that she shot. Apparently "nobody investigates shots getting fired". There was a lot of compotion around the village. I do get that. Though the only gun battle was between those two. I'm also wondering "what the hell happened to the people that were shooting at them from the truck". Did they just not want to pursue the attackers or something? I'm just confused how she was able to get weapons from the people she just attacked? Whatever, lets move on. So the group gets to the place where this program for the zombies are taking place. Which seems to be randomly in dauntless's place and not Erudite's. Why, I don't know? Cliche alert. The dad is responsible this time. "I will distract then and kill them because were running out of time". He runs out and kills the guards by himself. What the flying **** You have three people with guns and there are only four guards. Just have one person shoot two of those ****ers. Lets run out and get killed while only killing two of them. It was like something from a parody. Tris looks towards the dad and said "what are you doing dad?" or "Are you okay dad?". I don't remember. It was one of the two Well the camera pans back to the dad with like seven bullet holes and blood flowing from his mouth. You know he was probably just resting from the hard day. *sigh*. Tris tells everyone to stay there to protect his brother for some reason and goes on alone (cliched). Why? I don't know? She finds four who's staring in one direction like a zombie. She ask "are you okay?". Well he has a mindless stare and has ivies attached to him. He must be fine. Cliche alert "The person can snap out of anything for love type **** occurs and the both of them stop the killing of Abnegation. Okay, so now you have the leader of the bad guys in your hands...who did all this crazy **** and you don't off the **** Fine, morals. Ending her life could have solved everything. Let's say you didn't kill her. The threat is over. You can just kidnap her and give her up to the other fractions. Put her up for trial or something. Even if one of the fractions is still on her side. There's three against one. Kill off the two other fractions and you'll be fine. You don't need to leave for no good reason. Lets say that Dauntless has all the weapons. Well that was an idiotic premise in the first place.This stupid premise goes back to the idiotic premise of having five fractions. Just whatever on the whole premise right now. This movie was just a cluster **** of utter proportions. Again this is a good portion of the cluster ****ness. I would be here all day trying to go through all of it. P.S. This is a rip off of Harry Potter and Hunger Games. Ask me if you want to know why. A solid 1/10. My lowest rating of a blockbuster movie ever. Forgot a couple of things. If you're going to build a wall from an enemy. Please build it around your crops so people won't steal **** or burn them down. Also when those "zombies" became good again. You can use those people to fight off the rest. There's no point of leaving. Also to those who liked it. Pay attention more.
  27. Apr 2, 2014
    The movie suffered from obvious plot holes and there were things that just didn't make sense. There are 5 factions living in what appears to be post apocalyptic Chicago. The main character's faction is the one that runs the government. Yet we have a random woman who doesn't fit in any faction (or at least they don't tell us what faction she's in) that plots and conspires to kill everyoneThe movie suffered from obvious plot holes and there were things that just didn't make sense. There are 5 factions living in what appears to be post apocalyptic Chicago. The main character's faction is the one that runs the government. Yet we have a random woman who doesn't fit in any faction (or at least they don't tell us what faction she's in) that plots and conspires to kill everyone in the ruling faction. What doesn't make sense about that is the woman appears to be the leader of everyone. If she's the leader wouldn't she be part of the faction she's trying to destroy?

That's just one out of many things that didn't make sense. Don't see this movie. You will be horribly disappointed.
  28. Mar 30, 2014
    Suited for the lowest common denominator, not for people with even a hint of brains. The acting hurts your eyes (main character is so annoying you want to strangle her). The story makes your brain swell ("Dear writer of the story / script; when using fancy words like 'divergent,' apply them in the movie and don't include the audience in a pathetic attempt of fooling yourself that you areSuited for the lowest common denominator, not for people with even a hint of brains. The acting hurts your eyes (main character is so annoying you want to strangle her). The story makes your brain swell ("Dear writer of the story / script; when using fancy words like 'divergent,' apply them in the movie and don't include the audience in a pathetic attempt of fooling yourself that you are more interesting nor better than you really are; the ending of this movie and behavior of the 'divergents' is everything except divergent)!" Expand
  29. Mar 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Divergent a movie I thought was actually gonna be pretty good was just horrible. Okay first they spent more money on the sound track than actual character development. You don't even learn any of the characters names until the movie is almost over. Also there are many parts in the book that aren't in the movie. It made the book very good and gave more explanation. Also the whole feels like its on fast forward because 3 minutes into the movie your already at the test and then 20 minutes into the movie the characters are in initiation. In the book it took way more time and explained everything. Also Peter wasn't as sinister and evil and we didn't no his name until the end of the movie. Also they give no motive for Al's suicide and his character isn't talked about for the rest of the movie. We really didn't even know his name. The only good thing about this movie is the soundtrack which helps the movie's pacing. In conclusion this is one of the worst movies I've seen in a while and I would be surprised if it doesn't take home at least one Razzie Award. Expand
  30. Mar 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Divergent was the first time I've walked out of a movie in nearly three decades of going to the cinema. The Hunger Games films, while far-fetched and cliched at times, have worked so far because they have featured strong scripts, great pacing, genuine dramatic tension, interesting characters, and good acting. The dystopian society presented in Divergent, with its personality-based caste system, is intriguing. Unfortunately, it is populated by one-dimensional characters who spout shallow, vapid dialogue and act in incomprehensibly stupid ways. Tris Pryor, the heroine, joins Gryff... er, sorry, Dauntless, the Faction we're told act as the police, protecting the citizens of post-apocalyptic Chicago. But instead the brave folk of Dauntless seem to be a pack of moronic adrenaline junkies who run around everywhere and climb everything in sight for no discernible reason. New recruits to Dauntless, straight out of the Faction-choosing ceremony, are expected to jump onto a moving train and then jump off of it onto a roof with no warning or training. Exactly what purpose does setting new recruits up for nasty injuries on their very first day serve? Then they're made to beat each other up Fight Club-style. They're warned that if they don't perform well, they'll be cast out to fend for themselves as Factionless on the cruel streets, but they don't seem to be given any form of structured combat training to help them become better fighters. Oh, and they all get tattoos at one point, because apparently having a tattoo means you're a BAMF and no one will mess with you. It's like something a twelve-year-old more concerned with coolness than any sort of internal logic dreamed up. So what if there's no reason for the police to engage in random acts of parkour like a bunch of Spider-man wannabes? It's cool! Did I also mention that the cardboard standees on display in the lobby of the theatre had more dimension than the actual characters in the film? Tris is a perfect Mary Sue and everyone else is a one-note stereotype. Christina, who was born into Huffle...er, Candor, the honest Faction, but chose Dauntless, always says whatever is on her mind. The boy who was born into Raven...er, Erudite, the scientific Faction, is a Spockian sort who randomly cites statistics during target practice. It's obvious from the first twenty minutes that Erudite are going to turn out to be the villains, and, frankly, I find the portrayal of scientists and intellectuals as cold, shrewd, and evil to be deeply offensive. Expand
  31. Mar 25, 2014
    This is a rental folks! The editing of this movie will put you right to sleep! It's just not compelling or emotional, and it is WAY TOO LONG. I found myself looking at my watch many, many times. Now if you're younger than 17, this might just be your anthem as it's all angsty and full of rebellion. The concept is too simple to be complex. We get it, you're "Different" and "different" isThis is a rental folks! The editing of this movie will put you right to sleep! It's just not compelling or emotional, and it is WAY TOO LONG. I found myself looking at my watch many, many times. Now if you're younger than 17, this might just be your anthem as it's all angsty and full of rebellion. The concept is too simple to be complex. We get it, you're "Different" and "different" is BAD. The world is reminiscent of an amish utopian set in the future, but it looks like it takes place in past....I've seen this world before, it's called The Hunger Games, but at least in the hunger games, their amish lifestyle is juxtaposed by the futuristic lifestyle of the rich. Anywho, if I had to give this movie a grade it would be a solid "ZZZZZZZ" for SNORES because that's the only feeling this movie elicited. Expand
  32. Mar 25, 2014
    Hollywood hits the bottom. This story was written by a drunken 3 years old kid with no notions of how humans are, or how society works. A divergent is supposed to be a self aware, free thinker who is capable to understand better than anybody else the flaws of the system and fight for fixing those. What we have instead is a mentally sub-average and weak girl who is absolutely clueless aboutHollywood hits the bottom. This story was written by a drunken 3 years old kid with no notions of how humans are, or how society works. A divergent is supposed to be a self aware, free thinker who is capable to understand better than anybody else the flaws of the system and fight for fixing those. What we have instead is a mentally sub-average and weak girl who is absolutely clueless about what to do with her life.

The idiocy continues, because this unaware and weak girl has the possibility to join the faction of scientists, where obviously it is possible to find answers, Instead she illogically choses to join the military. This way instead of enjoying intellectual discoveries about what is going on and what to do, we follow mindlessly her attemt of becoming a military, by wasting 2 hours of the movie in hard military brainless training with not one intellectual thought till the end.

P.S. The writer also forgot to make the faction for artists. Which says it all about how much thoughts he dedicated to writing this mindless garbage for sheeple. This absolute trash can be watched by unaware children who watch Spongebob, or adult retards who enjoy mindless sopa operas. Avoid at any cost. Implausible, irrational movie. You will hope to forget this trash as soon as possible.
  33. Mar 25, 2014
    Haven't read the book but i'm pretty sure it's better than the movie i saw couple of days ago! Predictable,Strange and Dumb movie! Trust me you don't wanna see it... or at least more than once!
  34. Mar 24, 2014
    "Divergent" is based on Veronica Roth's young adult series of the same name. The story she has created is very complex and makes readers think about their own "self" and others. Each character in the book are given their own spotlight and reader's get to learn more about their traits. My biggest issue of the movie is how they rushed the character development. Even though the movie is"Divergent" is based on Veronica Roth's young adult series of the same name. The story she has created is very complex and makes readers think about their own "self" and others. Each character in the book are given their own spotlight and reader's get to learn more about their traits. My biggest issue of the movie is how they rushed the character development. Even though the movie is already running at 143mins, they could have at least done a more cohesive introduction. You really don't get to know the rest of the characters except for the main protagonist, Tris. What is worst about the movie is that the order of occurrences from the book to the movie are jumbled. It is completely out of order and some scenes they just added. The script could have been so much better and the book has so much potential to be made into a movie. Expand
  35. Mar 23, 2014
    This movie Divergent is a flop only because Kate Winslet is fully covered. Winslet may have won her 13 yr old daughter's accolade but not from 'your true fans'.
  36. Mar 22, 2014
    I wish I could write this independently of the novel, but I can't. There are omissions and edits all over the place, which can be forgivable if there aren't major plot points or essential to character development, but this film fails to deliver any reason to attach to any character or the world around it.

If you're thinking about seeing this movie, just buy the book; you can probably

If you're thinking about seeing this movie, just buy the book; you can probably get through it in the same 2.5 hours you'd waste at this uninspired film bastardization.
  37. Mar 22, 2014
    Full disclosure: I haven't read the books, but as someone who has read all of Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, I can say that this movie suffers from all of the pitfalls of every young adult novel series that followed either of them, that it shamelessly copies the story beats and themes from those greater ones that came before. Divergent offers zero in the way of new or compelling ideas.Full disclosure: I haven't read the books, but as someone who has read all of Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, I can say that this movie suffers from all of the pitfalls of every young adult novel series that followed either of them, that it shamelessly copies the story beats and themes from those greater ones that came before. Divergent offers zero in the way of new or compelling ideas. The premise, that everyone in the future fits into one of exactly 5 psychological types (termed Factions by the film and book) is flimsy at best. The worst offenders are the 'Dauntless', the enforcers/protectors of all of Chicago. You might as well call that faction 'The Idiots' as all they seem to want to do is run around everywhere in dark clothing, climb everything in sight, and jump off of/onto moving trains (although perhaps in the future all trains don't have brakes in which case mea culpa). Why the heroine wants to be a part of that group is as big a mystery as why the Erudite faction (the scientist faction) wants to wipe out the Abegnation (the Amish, er, bureaucrat) faction.
    Apart from the story, the actors chosen for the roles all looked like they were taken from The CW, and the art direction and set design looked decidedly 'B' movie, with not great special effects and set design that looks like it was ripped from a Canadian sci fi TV production house.
    After seeing this I have no interest in reading the book and hope that the studio doesn't waste it's time and resources with a sequel vs working on something worthwhile.
  38. Mar 22, 2014
    If I was rating this just as a standalone movie I would have given it a 6, but as a book adaptation it fell really short. The writers left out details from the book that made the story what is was and the character development was seriously lacking. One thing that Veronica Roth did so well in the book was showing the small acts of bravery (mentioned in the movie as the dauntless vision)If I was rating this just as a standalone movie I would have given it a 6, but as a book adaptation it fell really short. The writers left out details from the book that made the story what is was and the character development was seriously lacking. One thing that Veronica Roth did so well in the book was showing the small acts of bravery (mentioned in the movie as the dauntless vision) that Tris performs but the movie left most of them out entirely, e.g., confronting Marcus, helping Edward when he is hurt. You find out very little about any character other than Tris and Four, which made their interactions feel disingenuous. Leaving these things out made the movie feel emotionally empty. Overall, the movie was disappointing as a book adaptation but decent if you have not read the books. Expand
  39. Mar 22, 2014
    First things first, this movie is ridiculously long. 2 1/2 hours movie that goes nowhere for the first 2 hours is quite the JOB for a moviegoer. Could have easily been a 1 1/2 hour movie. Movie drags on with little to no plot. Very predictable. Save your money and just watch the trailer. Plenty of other movies to watch.
  40. Mar 21, 2014
    DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE. If you have read the book you will be severely disappointed at the lack of crucial characters and events, the terrible casting, and the bland acting. Based on the lack of characters in the first movie, it is impossible for them to make a second. There are revolutionary characters that they left out! If you have not read the book, you will find yourself confused andDO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE. If you have read the book you will be severely disappointed at the lack of crucial characters and events, the terrible casting, and the bland acting. Based on the lack of characters in the first movie, it is impossible for them to make a second. There are revolutionary characters that they left out! If you have not read the book, you will find yourself confused and unsatisfied at the poor character development choppy and hard to follow. I can only pray that John Green will not let producers butcher his novel The Fault in Our Stars as much as they did this one. Expand
  41. Mar 21, 2014
    As a book reader, I have never been so disappointed in a book-to-movie conversion. Not only did they leave extremely important details out, but many important events occur out of order. Motivations for certain characters aren't even explained; even extremely important plot devices are not included. Many of these changes serve no purpose and hinder the emotional impact certainAs a book reader, I have never been so disappointed in a book-to-movie conversion. Not only did they leave extremely important details out, but many important events occur out of order. Motivations for certain characters aren't even explained; even extremely important plot devices are not included. Many of these changes serve no purpose and hinder the emotional impact certain characters' decisions would otherwise have on the viewer. Book readers will generally be confused with the changes, and by the time the credits roll, most will be asking, "Why?" Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Apr 7, 2014
    Loyal to the novel, but welcoming enough for newbies, Divergent does a decent if not jawdropping job of bringing its dystopian world to life.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Apr 3, 2014
    The more you scrutinise the society Roth and these screenwriters have created, the more it seems a chintzily self-designed dystopia whose rules and entire infrastructure are pure cardboard.
  3. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    Mar 31, 2014
    Smart, tough and a little bit cool, this is an intriguing opening rather than a slam-dunk in its own right, but the cast - and especially Woodley - make it sufficiently diverting to merit a place in the action franchise ranks.