Weinstein Company, The | Release Date: December 25, 2012
Universal acclaim based on 2025 Ratings
1,835
WATCH NOW
Sevvy88Jun 7, 2013
Ok, so, I liked it. It ran a little too long for my tastes, but it didn't sour the experience overall. What darkened my score was that the film didn't really "unchain" until near the end of it. Now, when it happens, it's beautiful andOk, so, I liked it. It ran a little too long for my tastes, but it didn't sour the experience overall. What darkened my score was that the film didn't really "unchain" until near the end of it. Now, when it happens, it's beautiful and awesome, and you look back on the scene with fondness, but it just takes too long to get to that point in an already lengthy picture. I feel that Django himself was an honest character, and your really rooting for him by the end. All of the actors are great. A lot of the violence will have you going "Ohhh, THAT HURT!" but it's not the most inspired part of the film. Overall, it's a good movie. Is it on the level of Pulp Fiction? No. Not really. It's Tarantino trying to drive home a message, and while he succeeds at it, I feel that his best work is elsewhere. It's another Tarantino revenge story with a strong narrative, but I think his source material was a little TOO massive for him this time. It's a very strong 7 still though. Expand
loki-sfJun 6, 2013
Action packed film with funny moments and an entertaining story. Really enjoyed it, but can't speak for my other friends who are not that into gory scenes.
drlowdonJun 4, 2013
I can think of very few, if any, directors that have as unique a style as Quentin Tarantino and within 30 seconds of Django Unchained it is immediately clear you are watching one of his movies.

The director’s usual fast paced dialogue,

The director’s usual fast paced dialogue, bloody action sequences and ability to successfully mix comedy and drama to create truly memorable scenes are all on show here. Add in exceptional performances from a talented cast that includes Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio and deserved Oscar winner Christopher Waltz, as the dentist turned bounty hunter, and you have an example of the filmmaker at his very best.

Non-Tarantino fans need not apply.
Forrestgump1Jun 4, 2013
"Quentin Tarantino has once again proved why he is one of the greatest and most authentic directors making films today, filled with gut-busting violence, Oscar worthy performances and some much comic relief. Django is one of 2012's best"Quentin Tarantino has once again proved why he is one of the greatest and most authentic directors making films today, filled with gut-busting violence, Oscar worthy performances and some much comic relief. Django is one of 2012's best movies, by far." A+ Expand
JawsLaxerDramaMay 31, 2013
What you have to understand about Tarantino is that he WANTS to see how far he can take it. For those of you who are completely ignorant, (A really horrible word) was used like how we said "dude" back in 2007. I am always impressed and aWhat you have to understand about Tarantino is that he WANTS to see how far he can take it. For those of you who are completely ignorant, (A really horrible word) was used like how we said "dude" back in 2007. I am always impressed and a little mortified when I laugh at some of the quotes in the movie. For example, the before the riot was especially hilarious.
The violence gets old though. That is my only complaint however, and i LOVED Dicaprio, Foxx and especially the charasmatic Waltz. Great movie.
Brian_McInnisMay 29, 2013
Comedy writer Julius Sharpe said on Twitter the other day that he just wanted to 'thank all the people who reviewed "Star Wars" on Netflix. You guys swayed me, I'll check it out.' His point could save us all a whole lot of time. 'DjangoComedy writer Julius Sharpe said on Twitter the other day that he just wanted to 'thank all the people who reviewed "Star Wars" on Netflix. You guys swayed me, I'll check it out.' His point could save us all a whole lot of time. 'Django Unchained' is already a hugely popular movie, and so many, even among those who haven't seen it, are familiar by now with its fairly simple plot. So this time around, I'm only going to point out a few marked ways in which Quentin's seventh film struck me as rather unTarantinian.

'Django', of course, is still very obviously a Tarantino film. But look, for instance, at how the flash-backs are done with quick fades rather than simple cuts, and how they're shot with different filters 'flash-back' filters. This drains them of most of the immediacy of the flash-backs of his other movies. Or, more accurately, they make them actually feel like flash-backs; the equivalents in his other films were effectively just scene transitions. He also uses music rather flamboyantly this time, often using only small parts of songs, and he uses more of it than usual.

The camera is also much more active than in previous films. Look at the often flashy way he films the lengthy scene at Candie's dinner table and compare it to the tavern scene in chapter four of 'Inglourious Basterds'. In that scene, the camera is resolutely static throughout, using simple two-shots, three-shots and close-ups. For my money, this helped to make the scene considerably more immersive and suspenseful than the one at Candie's dinner table.

Compare also the unwavering realism of the nazis and peripheral characters in 'Basterds' with the slave-owners and townsfolk in 'Django', who are frequently exaggerated and played for laughs. For myself, I was a bit disappointed by this decline in realism. I know Tarantino did this to retain the feel of the Spaghetti Westerns he's always loved so much. But one of his greatest strengths has always been his talent for taking lesser genres and accentuating their best elements, while omitting their weaker ones. For most of his movies, this has included maintaining strict realism in the story's environments and supporting characters, but not so much in 'Django"s case.

Because of its content, the story it tells and its central characters and performances, 'Django' is an excellent, classical tale of a film. It has a couple of plot twists that are stunning. I am told that the Samurai sword-fight sequence in 'Kill Bill Vol. 1' is probably the best ever filmed, and I have no doubt that 'Django"s revolver melee is as good a one as we're ever likely to see. But to an extent that surprised me, the movie lacks the definition of the rest of Quentin's films. I think there are three main reasons for this.

First, the story is that of a journey, an adventure, and has a fairly set path its makers must follow. Tarantino's stories usually move wherever and whenever they want to, but in each place they visit, they tend strongly to sit firmly down and stay there a good while. 'Django' is more fluid and, except for Candyland, moves through its locales rather speedily.

The second reason is that after 'Inglourious Basterds', his most restrained and static film yet, I believe Tarantino felt a need to have more fun making his next film, use more music, more comedy (I don't know how long it's been since I've laughed in a theatre as hard as I did when Quentin gets himself blown to smithereens), be more dynamic with his camera, and to finally fully indulge his love of Spaghetti Westerns, a desire which until now he's had to satisfy only in bits and pieces. This is all fine. But I think he set to work with less restraint than was strictly wise this time.

The third reason is that his editor Sally Menke died a year or so before production began on the film. Sally had edited all of Quentin's films and had long been known as his greatest collaborator. I realize now that such a loss does have its effect on a film. And her replacement, though he was an assistant in the editing of the Kill Bill movies, may not have been an ideal choice.

I point these things out because so few critics seem to have talked about them, and because together they work to produce a film with fewer marks of its director's craft and brilliance. Obviously 'Django Unchained' is a very strong and enjoyable film with numerous virtues, which delves fearlessly into a subject that's been so widely and wrongly ignored for so long that it now seems in real danger of being largely unknown to many of us. Consider the nauseating case of Arkansas Representative Jon Hubbard who, in a book published last year, wrote that slavery 'may actually have been a blessing in disguise'.

Quentin spoke with bafflement about the unyielding reluctance of the film industry, and of society at large, to discuss or confront the terrors of thralldom. He said of his movie, 'Let this be the first stone through the window.'
ScorpionMay 29, 2013
Do not know if Tarantino tried to honor the old westerns or satirize, but did well in their way logical, but what draws the most attention is the movement of the plot by the characters in the early history is focused on Dr.Shultz thenDo not know if Tarantino tried to honor the old westerns or satirize, but did well in their way logical, but what draws the most attention is the movement of the plot by the characters in the early history is focused on Dr.Shultz then undergoes Calvin Candie, and ends in Django, the performances are perfect especially Di Caprio (who has been wronged by not being nominated for an Oscar) and mainly Waltz, who deservedly was awarded, the rest is all you can expect from a movie Tarantino, blood pouring the gallon, many profanities and racist insults (here are acceptable considering the era in which the film is set) and several taken of fun. Expand
Sh4rk82May 28, 2013
Western-style movie shown on the big screen with good results. Di Caprio as always very good and all the cast. Successful film, the beautiful American abimentazione end 800
StevenFMay 27, 2013
"The 'D' is silent" as our gunslinging hero continues to remind his victims, Django is on the path of vengeance with the most unorthodox of associates, with bloody, violent but fantastic storytelling from to start to finish, edgy, and"The 'D' is silent" as our gunslinging hero continues to remind his victims, Django is on the path of vengeance with the most unorthodox of associates, with bloody, violent but fantastic storytelling from to start to finish, edgy, and brilliant also fit seamlessly into a description of this wonderful film.
Set in the midst of slavery in the Old West and the Deep South of the United States, Django (Jamie Foxx) and a group of slaves are being hoarded across the plain by two brothers, when dentist turned bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz) interrupts proceedings, he frees Django in the hope that he will lead him to another set of brothers who Django and his wife Broomhilda (Kerry Washington) were recently owned by.
Christoph Waltz brings an energetic and humorous energy to the role that is simply unmatched. Django is cold and collected in the hope of finding his wife, who he finds out is a slave of the talkative and ruthless Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio). As Django and Schultz set off across the frontier and wade out the winter, Schultz trains Django to become a bounty hunter, he sees it as his duty to free this slave and therefore look after him.
In typical Quentin Tarantino fashion, Django Unchained is more about pushing the boundaries of cinematic taboo than the simple story that is told. The use of the 'N' word has been the point of deliberation since the films release, but either way, a perfect Spaghetti Western has been moulded with Tarantino at the helm, is use of long dialogue and extended scenes of conversation continue to amaze, especially when the talented Christoph Waltz is involved, lest we forget his fantastic turn as Col. Hans Landa in Inglorious Basterds,but he truly raises the bar in Django for nobody but himself, is attitude and personality are unmatched, save for possibly Leonardo DiCaprio, who we rarely, if ever, see as the villain, but who shows exactly what he is capable of with the sadistic but charming Candie.
Jamie Foxx has been perfectly cast as them main man Django, he shows heart but willingness to find his wife by any means possible, and his rise to heroism throughout the film is a perfect test of character that he does brilliantly.
Tarantino again picks a perfect setting and now has a western hit under his belt, whether its the music, the deep southern accents or the wonderful camera work of gore and glory, he has again created a very deservedly named masterpiece.
fogzaMay 27, 2013
Sort of a mix between Inglorious Basterds and Kill Bill 1, with the worst aspects of both. It's overlong as with IB, and filled with silly action set pieces as in KB. Very stylish, pretty short on anything else. Leo steals the show; you can'tSort of a mix between Inglorious Basterds and Kill Bill 1, with the worst aspects of both. It's overlong as with IB, and filled with silly action set pieces as in KB. Very stylish, pretty short on anything else. Leo steals the show; you can't buy any of the other characters or their motivations. People will try to tell you it's a homage to blaxploitation movies or brilliant satire cloaked in b-grade trapping, or any of the normal stuff people say about Tarantino movies. The truth is, it's just a silly movie that lacks the wit of his earliest films. Expand
TheZeroPercentMay 25, 2013
•This movie will be one of those that will still be blowing new comers minds LONG after a lot of the current CGI laced popular films of today have lost their modern edge.
•A completely unquestionable cinematic masterpiece.
•One of the best
•A completely unquestionable cinematic masterpiece.
•One of the best Tarantino pieces IMO.
• One of the best western/cowboy movies ever IMO.
SpangleMay 24, 2013
The movie was pretty good. Nothing amazing, but still pretty good. Jamie Foxx and Leonardo DiCaprio truly stole the show, though the faults in the film largely lie in the fact many of the scenes seemed to be random and just thrown together.The movie was pretty good. Nothing amazing, but still pretty good. Jamie Foxx and Leonardo DiCaprio truly stole the show, though the faults in the film largely lie in the fact many of the scenes seemed to be random and just thrown together. In addition (this won't ruin the film), when somebody gets shot, it seems to painfully unrealistic. Not only was the blood coming out in unnatural waves, but it was almost action film esque, which was a turn off for me. However, I'm nitpicking. It was still entertaining and well done. Expand
SovereignlolMay 23, 2013
Django Unchained is easily one of the best movies I have seen in really long, everything from the story to the great shooting scenes is incredibly well done. Quentin Tarantino always delivers.
greygooseMay 22, 2013
The disappointing moment when I realize that Tarantino sadism served up as style.
This man loves ultra violence in film.

I've loved his movies up until this one. I think he went too far this time.
PStakhivMay 21, 2013
Another great work of Quentin Tarantino, great cast, absolutely outstanding acting from Christoph Walts (as a result Emmy and Leo Di Caprio. Interesting plot, but with some flaws in it. Good time overall
Voice0fReasonMay 21, 2013
This movie in my opinion was the best movie of the year. It was done in such a manner that it portrayed true to slavery in the south. It was visually pleasing and made me feel like DiCaprio was a real dick in the movie. Samuel L. Jackson wasThis movie in my opinion was the best movie of the year. It was done in such a manner that it portrayed true to slavery in the south. It was visually pleasing and made me feel like DiCaprio was a real dick in the movie. Samuel L. Jackson was played a great role as both a joker as well as an evil man. Christopher Waltz was the best part of the film. He did a job that Tarantino was most proud of. It is about time that we have another great western film. This is why I give it a 10/10 Expand
Gavin7887May 20, 2013
HOLY S**T THIS IS MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME. i love westerns and this movie is so funny and bad*** that it is almost better than pulp fiction. the acting is great, the soundtrack is great, the action is great, EVERYTHING IS GREAT.

This

This is secretly a 20 but metacritic wont allow it
ArkonBladeMay 19, 2013
I saw this movie for one main reason and that would be for Christoph Waltz He was just Amazing in Inglourious Basterds. Yet again he blows away the screen with a captivating performance. The list of actors I can watch and just drool on howI saw this movie for one main reason and that would be for Christoph Waltz He was just Amazing in Inglourious Basterds. Yet again he blows away the screen with a captivating performance. The list of actors I can watch and just drool on how great there acting is I can count on one hand and Christoph Waltz would be one of those actors. Jamie Fox who is also very good in this next to Waltz you kind of forget about Fox some times which is kind of a shame because Jamie Fox is no slouch in this and does a fine job. As a western its a pretty damn good one but my biggest problem with it is the music Now normally one of three things happens with music 1. either it blends in to where you don't notice it 2. It pops out wonderfully to make a scene better or 3. It pops out and just does not fit at all. With Django it falls in to number 3. Tarantino uses a lot of 60s and 70s style music which just doesn't feel right at all and just took me out at times going why is he using this kind of music? It just doesn't fit a western at all. Feels like it would belong more in Jackie Brown or Pulp Fiction That out of the way the story is good and the acting from the other actors is very solid The movie is well worth seeing Expand
ExKingMay 18, 2013
this movie is a Mandingo ripoff which is a movie done in the 1975 but when Quentin Tarantino
decided to re-circle the story and cash it on the fans well guess what a critically acclaimed movie.
and it's 2012 for crying out loud why we have
and it's 2012 for crying out loud why we have movies about racism any more i thought we left that river dry.
it's not entertaining at all neither can be taking seriously. overall another disgusting movie by this stupid director.
ThegodfathersonMay 14, 2013
When I first saw Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained, I wrote that it was as deplorable and delicious as a forbidden cigarette. This second time around I'm still dizzy, from something meaner than nicotine. This brilliant and brutal revengeWhen I first saw Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained, I wrote that it was as deplorable and delicious as a forbidden cigarette. This second time around I'm still dizzy, from something meaner than nicotine. This brilliant and brutal revenge western, with its bromcom double act from Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz, is set among the slave plantations of pre-civil war America. It is partly based on the 1960s cult Django westerns starring Franco Nero (who returns in cameo here) and partly on the notorious 1975 exploitation picture Mandingo, but it's distinctive on its own fantastically outrageous terms: an audacious and horribly funny comic-book nightmare. Tarantino, king of the comeback, famously returned John Travolta to the pop-culture frontline for Pulp Fiction and indeed renewed crime writer Eddie Bunker's pulp-fiction stardom by getting him an acting gig as Mr Blue in Reservoir Dogs. Now Tarantino has made his own comeback, after a recent worrying slump, with his best film since Kill Bill: Vol. 1.It's certainly an awful lot better than the previous film Inglourious Basterds, which I attacked on account of its misfiring spaghetti-Nazi theme and bafflingly dull plot. I should here record that many did not agree with this view, and my previous lavish praise for the great man only seemed to make things worse. Someone online called me a "petulant Taranteenybopper" throwing a strop. Well, possibly.For me, Tarantino had always been the master of a certain type of narcotic euphoria in the cinema, something exquisitely superfluous, something to do with his mastery of surface and style an ability to make you believe in it and see through it at the same time. That ability has gloriously returned. Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained is morally comfortable; everyone is a victim or monster. Expand
The-TruthMay 13, 2013
Quentin is a truly gifted director, he proved it once again with Django, remember, the D is silent! The movie is great, solid humor and blood and gore. Great acting surprisingly by Jamie Foxx, I didn't have too much faith in him with the roleQuentin is a truly gifted director, he proved it once again with Django, remember, the D is silent! The movie is great, solid humor and blood and gore. Great acting surprisingly by Jamie Foxx, I didn't have too much faith in him with the role but he exceeded my expectations. Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio are the ones who shined in this movie, especially when we finally get to see DiCaprio as a villain which doesn't happen too often! The soundtrack was great, solid acting, great humor, and a good story. Expand
NardArtsMay 12, 2013
As a huge Tarantino fan there was no doubt i was going to watch this movie, plus this is the first western o come out in a long time cowboy's and aliens doesn't count). The characters are fantastic, the timing perfect, and there are scene'sAs a huge Tarantino fan there was no doubt i was going to watch this movie, plus this is the first western o come out in a long time cowboy's and aliens doesn't count). The characters are fantastic, the timing perfect, and there are scene's you can't help but to feel bad about for laughing at.
When you have Blood, gore, and violence, you're gonna have a good time. They over do it with the blood, and that makes it even better. This movie has created one of my new favorite characters, Dr. Schultz. He is one of the best written characters i have seen in a movie.
Combine all these thing's together, and you have a great film, this is why it deserves the 10 i gave it.
EludiumQ36May 11, 2013
The genres listed for this film are: Action, Adventure, Drama, Crime, Western. Wrong on adventure and wrong on crime (yes, lots of criminal acts but it's not about crime/solving crime), and it should include: parody and satire. TarantinoThe genres listed for this film are: Action, Adventure, Drama, Crime, Western. Wrong on adventure and wrong on crime (yes, lots of criminal acts but it's not about crime/solving crime), and it should include: parody and satire. Tarantino definitely has a signature method of directing but it always seems juvenile, never maturing. I recognize alot of people dig his films and that's fine but I can't recommend them for their shallow, excessive violence and shallow caricature characters. Expand
RyanSolomonMay 4, 2013
This is Tarantino's best film since Pulp Fiction. I loved this movie with a passion and had been following it since it was announced in 2011. I think this is the best western since The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, probably even better.This is Tarantino's best film since Pulp Fiction. I loved this movie with a passion and had been following it since it was announced in 2011. I think this is the best western since The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, probably even better. Definitely one of my favorite movies. Expand
GeologistMay 4, 2013
Tarantino's return is another bold, extremely well acted splatter-fest that intrigues the audience as well as keeping them on the edge of their seats. While it's not his best film since Pulp Fiction, as some others say, Django UnchainedTarantino's return is another bold, extremely well acted splatter-fest that intrigues the audience as well as keeping them on the edge of their seats. While it's not his best film since Pulp Fiction, as some others say, Django Unchained delivered a realistic atmosphere and crowd pleasing shoot-offs. Expand
BradySmithApr 30, 2013
Django unchained could in my opinion be Tarantino's best movie. It's unrestrained, vicious, and at times very funny. It should have beat Argo for best picture. Just watch it. Unless you can't stand violence in movies. In that case youDjango unchained could in my opinion be Tarantino's best movie. It's unrestrained, vicious, and at times very funny. It should have beat Argo for best picture. Just watch it. Unless you can't stand violence in movies. In that case you might not like it, but it's screenplay, acting, and directing are all masterful. Expand
MrHayden4495Apr 29, 2013
Quintin Tarantino is still at it as he makes what I think is my favorite movie of 2012, Django Unchained. Everything from the spaghetti western intro and outro cards and music to the characters and their dialogue. The movie works on aQuintin Tarantino is still at it as he makes what I think is my favorite movie of 2012, Django Unchained. Everything from the spaghetti western intro and outro cards and music to the characters and their dialogue. The movie works on a complete harmony of the actors and the setting. Rather than the setting making them feel more western, they make the setting more western, and Christoph Waltz accomplishes this the best. He's not even American and he seemed to be a stamp of the time period. The action has that distinct tangy Tarantino spice to it: amazing, but overly messy at the same time. The movie reflects the gruesomeness of the 1850s on slavery, which is the theme that shapes Django (Jamie Foxx) throughout the movie into one of the best protagonists in 2012 cinema. Expand
El_Loco_HiguitaApr 29, 2013
This movie is awash with calculated and beautiful scenes that do not shark away from exposing the horrors of slavery. Christopher Waltz is the obvious, and aside from DiCaprio, the only candidate for best actor. His portrayal of Dr SchultzThis movie is awash with calculated and beautiful scenes that do not shark away from exposing the horrors of slavery. Christopher Waltz is the obvious, and aside from DiCaprio, the only candidate for best actor. His portrayal of Dr Schultz espouses a similar demeanour to the infamous Hans Landa of Inglorious Bastard- light-hearted, wise and deeply compelling. But in this exhibition, his justice-enforcing character is all the more likeable. Jamie Foxx has been the most discussed fault in this film, a slight injustice given he gives a convincing account of slave-turned-bounty-hunter Django for the first two hours. It was as he slipped into the part of lead male during the closing twenty minutes that his acting shortfalls began to be exposed. The final scenes were typically Tarantino-esque. Whilst some people relish these explosive, chaotic finales, it would have been interesting to leave the viewer guessing and wanting more. Regardless, a mesmerising and utterly enthralling film Expand
BrianMcCriticApr 28, 2013
Tarantino does it again. The man has never made a bad movie and with Django Unchained we get a well written and acted film. Jamie Fox and Leonardo DiCaprio are fabulous, but Christolph Waltz is the stand out here. He and Tarantino are justTarantino does it again. The man has never made a bad movie and with Django Unchained we get a well written and acted film. Jamie Fox and Leonardo DiCaprio are fabulous, but Christolph Waltz is the stand out here. He and Tarantino are just a perfect combination. Expand
RicochetPhoenixApr 28, 2013
Excellent film. The performances from Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Samuel L. Jackson were all fantastic and Jamie Foxx did very well also. The dialogue is captivating and it's great seeing DiCaprio as a villain for a change, asExcellent film. The performances from Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Samuel L. Jackson were all fantastic and Jamie Foxx did very well also. The dialogue is captivating and it's great seeing DiCaprio as a villain for a change, as well as seeing Waltz as a hero. Expand
MadIvanoApr 25, 2013
One of the greatest films of all time. A touching tale of a man who has suffered nothing but hatred who has the chance to release his anger. This film might be difficult to view for people who can't seem the accept the difficult past of theOne of the greatest films of all time. A touching tale of a man who has suffered nothing but hatred who has the chance to release his anger. This film might be difficult to view for people who can't seem the accept the difficult past of the pre- civil war United States. This movie depicts the reality in a brutally true fashion. It is an unspeakably violent film, both in it's tone and the in the gory violence it displays.

Unforgettable scenes with great performances from the entire cast, especially DiCaprio, who in my personal opinion was slightly superior to the Academy Award Winner Christoph Waltz. This is decisively one of the boldest films ever made, a long, brutal yet satisfying tale of vengeance, friendship and moral values. This film is a clear masterpiece. A future cult classic, with classic Tarantino dialogue and writing, to be quoted over and over again. 10/10
DorothyMantoothApr 23, 2013
Simply put, if you don't get this film you don't get cinema. Kinda troll-ish, maybe. But there's so much for the art invested into Tarantino's work that most criticism seems to fall on the tone-deaf side. Django Unchained is a joyfulSimply put, if you don't get this film you don't get cinema. Kinda troll-ish, maybe. But there's so much for the art invested into Tarantino's work that most criticism seems to fall on the tone-deaf side. Django Unchained is a joyful masterpiece that celebrates both the folklore this country has embraced and also its cinematic flourishes. Jamie Foxx is as iconic as early Eastwood in the role. And Christophe Waltz is too good for Oscar. Expand
nchatzitouApr 23, 2013
What's the excellent revenge, anger ,justice ,and blood What's new .The same old story. The same old acting Just a fairy tale. No imagine ,no case. Lets someone tell me, what's the new element of this movie?
sammieteeApr 22, 2013
Django was awesome! Everybody played their parts extremely well and the acting was fantastic. I enjoyed the story and it was very entertaining. Quentin wasn't afraid to do or say anything in this movie and which made it more genuine to theDjango was awesome! Everybody played their parts extremely well and the acting was fantastic. I enjoyed the story and it was very entertaining. Quentin wasn't afraid to do or say anything in this movie and which made it more genuine to the time frame. The final gun fight is definitely memorable. 2 thumbs up for Django, this is definitely a movie I will add to my collection. Expand
SpankyApr 21, 2013
Definitely, Taranatino's worst movie to date. Hokey and absurd in many places. Ridiculous violence in others. Come on Quentin, is this supposed to be a comedy or a serious film? And when are you going to stop putting yourself in yourDefinitely, Taranatino's worst movie to date. Hokey and absurd in many places. Ridiculous violence in others. Come on Quentin, is this supposed to be a comedy or a serious film? And when are you going to stop putting yourself in your movies? I hate to break it to you, buddy, but you just can't act and you always bring the film down to a lower level when you're on-screen. I believe it's gotten to the point where you're believing your own press and feel anything you put out there is going to be accepted as brilliant by your legion of followers....and, unfortunately, based on some of the reviews I have been reading, this still seems to be true. How sad. P. S. I didn't include specifics because I didn't want to spoil the film for those still wanting to see it. Suffice to say, there are way too many holes in this script to be consider anything other than a B-movie by an A screenwriter and director. Expand
DiggidyDanApr 20, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a very entertaining movie throughout. Lot's of violence, but it's a Tarantino flick, you know what you sign up for when watching. Jamie Foxx was very good. He has the charisma and cojones to make you actually believe he could pull off this legend. Overall, however, the movie was very predictable in Tarantino style. It felt like, oh, I already saw this in Jackie Brown, Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs, and Inglorious Basterds. It was like a mashup of those movies done over the top with slavery thrown in for extra shock and story value. I was entertained, don't get me wrong, but I wish he did something more original with the movie instead of rehashing old ground. The end scene, also, was horrendously cheesy. I know it was an "Homage" but crikey, that was out of place and bad. Save the western ride off into the sunset worship and make a cut with a worthy ending that befits Jamie Foxx's stellar character performance throughout! It's like QT just stripped all of Jamie's charismatic character and the castration that never happened before in the film somehow managed to occur just before he makes his horse dance in a ridiculous forced tribute scene to appease the director's misguided fantasy ending. Expand
Morgenstern72Apr 20, 2013
I was once a real Tarantino fan. He reinvented old style movies and it
was fun and well made. Problem is, that's all he can do (or is wanting
to show). His movies got weaker and weaker and even fans could only reply to critic with "It is
I was once a real Tarantino fan. He reinvented old style movies and it
was fun and well made. Problem is, that's all he can do (or is wanting
to show). His movies got weaker and weaker and even fans could only
reply to critic with "It is intentionally bad! It just makes fun of old
movies."

Same with this one. Most funny thing her is, that very young people are
talking like this. People that never have seen an Italian western
before but now defend this movie as an obeisance, a critical
examination or an ironic view. It feels just like Tarantino has thrown
some episodes together and found no way to combine them. Acting is
really bad (yes yes, it's for sure intentionally bad like everything in
this movie) except of Jamie Foxx and Leonardo Di Caprio and. Which is
kind of funny, because normally I can't stand him and like Christoph
Waltz. But Waltz' character was most times completely overacted like in
some school play. Tarantions own small role stood out in relation to
the rest: like a completely talent less actor. Man, do I miss the
Tarantino of "From Dusk till Dawn" or "Pulp Fiction"...

So: Story is a mess, acting is crap... what is there else to say? Well.
The music score is a mixture of cinematic themes, pop music and hip
hop. Does not fit as good as anywhere in the movie. Cutting was a mess
too. Some cuts where extremely hard and just done badly.

Only cam was quite good, there were some really nice pictures. And the
overall theme of slavery and how everyone took their side in this dark
times (yes, even the white "missus" did take their role of shame) let
me give a 6.

This movie is neither a obeisance to the old Italien western nor is it
a critical examination nor an ironic view. It's just took some elements
and mixed them up quite bad. If it really was intentional it does not
make a better movie. It's like making a gross hamburger to make fun of
fast food and then expecting people to eat it with pleasure. Which will
be done by all the Tarantino fans out there. No matter how bad their
idol cooks, how bad the burger tastes or how messy it looks: they will
love it because it's made by their idol. For the rest of us: good there
are much better restaurants our there. Including the old traditional
Italian Pizzeria where you can get a real "Django" if you want to.
Without any erupting blood fountains, they are nowhere to be seen in
this movie from 1966.
Josh27Apr 18, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this movie. Everything is great, especially the soundtrack which is one of my favorites. The only downside to the movie is that the best characters die 3/4 of the way through. Django, the "main" character, doesn't do or say very much. So in the end when he triumphs, it feels a little awkward and not as satisfying as it could. Still, this a movie I will definitely buy soon. It well deserved the Oscars that it won. Expand
ZilcellApr 17, 2013
Best film of 2012. Best acting of 2012. It is a shockingly exciting
The_Godfather_9Apr 13, 2013
Fantastic movie from start to finish

- Brilliant screenplay - Excellent acting - Good choice of music - Great direction by Quentin Tarantino Django unchained is the best move of 2012 and is the best movie Quentin Tarantino has made. It
Fantastic movie from start to finish

- Brilliant screenplay
- Excellent acting
- Good choice of music
- Great direction by Quentin Tarantino
Django unchained is the best move of 2012 and is the best movie Quentin Tarantino has made. It is absolutely terrific
Oscar_SucksApr 11, 2013
Compared to "Inglorious Bastard"This movie is just like sh#t.Killing Burning Vulgarity,it's a genuine Spagatti western film really was. Leonardo did his part great.however,the script the story is hardly acceptable,let alone winning an OscarCompared to "Inglorious Bastard"This movie is just like sh#t.Killing Burning Vulgarity,it's a genuine Spagatti western film really was. Leonardo did his part great.however,the script the story is hardly acceptable,let alone winning an Oscar award. I don't like racism but what the film had portrayed is not only challenging the slavery transaction in the 1800s,but also delivery a contemptuous attitudes to both laws and human rights. Expand
slipperygunApr 9, 2013
I recommend Django Unchained. It's funny and brutally violent. Good acting, good story and setting, memorable characters (even the minor ones), memorable scenes, main character has an arc.
It holds nothing back. It has personality.
I also
It holds nothing back. It has personality.
I also recommend the original Django (1966).
SecondClassApr 6, 2013
Simply put, this is Quentin Tarantino's best film. Throughout the movie, he breaks down the formula to a creative film and rewrites it completely. This is a film that starts with title cards, opening credits that aren't merely forgettableSimply put, this is Quentin Tarantino's best film. Throughout the movie, he breaks down the formula to a creative film and rewrites it completely. This is a film that starts with title cards, opening credits that aren't merely forgettable blips on the bottom of the action, a song named after the titular character, and all the other components of the typical spaghetti western. The revenge-fueled plot and the character archetypes also evoke images John Wayne and Clint Eastwood films.

Strangely enough, however, rap music and sunglasses badassitude trickles into this "Southern". Tarantino, of course, writes in his own style. Excessive (almost cartoonish) violence befalls all characters, the dialogue-only scenes are abundant, and depictions of the pre-Civil War South are brilliant and ominous. Tarantino gives the film a unique atmosphere that I haven't seen since Kill Bill. Django Unchained pulls you into the screen and makes you feel like you are living in the cartoonish, wit-smitten world of the film. I truly felt for Django's quest and was intrigued by the story of his German liberator King Schultz.

Speaking of, the characters in this film are outstanding. Tarantino has always been a character writer, but Django and Schultz may be the best film duo I've ever seen. Each character is interesting on their own level (the introduction of Schultz sparks one of most unexpected and entertaining opening scenes in history), but it's the interaction between Django and Schultz that's most memorable.

Leonardo DiCaprio's villain Calvin Candie is especially potent, to the point that I hated the actor himself for a time after seeing the movie. A slaver with a excessively playboy demeanor, Candie is essentially a hilarious, despicable character that sets up the pieces to introduce the film's true antagonist: Stephen, the head house slave of Candie's plantation (played by Samuel L. Jackson). I can't say too much about this character without spoiling the movie, but it's definitely one of Jackson's scariest roles.

The climax is one of Tarantino's best, I was never bored while watching the three-hour long movie, and I'm still thinking about the characters and the plot today. This is a movie that I will want to rewatch again and again. I have pre-ordered it from Amazon, and I rarely buy things from the Internet. I highly recommend this movie to all but the faintest of souls.
worleyjamersApr 3, 2013
Tarantino never disappoints; Django is a hilarious, super stylish, unbelievably bloody, and just plain badass film that happens to be one of the best movies of last year. The performances are all terrific, Waltz, Foxx, DiCaprio (who ITarantino never disappoints; Django is a hilarious, super stylish, unbelievably bloody, and just plain badass film that happens to be one of the best movies of last year. The performances are all terrific, Waltz, Foxx, DiCaprio (who I normally dislike), and Jackson in particular. The script is great as well. While it may not be as good as Pulp Fiction or Inglorious Basterds (amazing film), Django Unchained is likely the most entertaining film he's ever done. Expand
Movie1997Apr 1, 2013
Quentin Tarantino has still got it in this outragously bloody spaghetti western. This movie has lots of things that make this a Tarantino classic. It has great acting, Especially Leonardo DiCaprio, fantastic western action and a greatQuentin Tarantino has still got it in this outragously bloody spaghetti western. This movie has lots of things that make this a Tarantino classic. It has great acting, Especially Leonardo DiCaprio, fantastic western action and a great humorous scene (KKK scene). One big thing though was the screenplay. It's great screenplay don't get wrong. It's truly original, but it over uses the "n" word, which may offend some people. But other than that it's really just pure genius. Overall, it's an exciting western that people have been dying to see. Expand
GRavidApr 1, 2013
The 1st thing that strikes me when the credits finally rolled was: "Oh my god, the trailer was so much better!" The 2nd thing was a very depressing thought: The film has no story structure. Christ, this is the man who wrote Reservoir Dogs,The 1st thing that strikes me when the credits finally rolled was: "Oh my god, the trailer was so much better!" The 2nd thing was a very depressing thought: The film has no story structure. Christ, this is the man who wrote Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, True Romance. What the hell went wrong? And finally, when DiCaprio gives you the best performance in the film you are in a world of trouble. Expand
CtheTavApr 1, 2013
IN MY OPINION **MAY CONTAIN SPOIILERS** by CtheTav From the very beginning of the film an old style 50's spaghetti western is given off which in part is what this film is. However this film is so much more than homage to the westerns of old.IN MY OPINION **MAY CONTAIN SPOIILERS** by CtheTav From the very beginning of the film an old style 50's spaghetti western is given off which in part is what this film is. However this film is so much more than homage to the westerns of old. Tarantino has truly outdone himself with this script (a rarity amongst action films these days) with period appropriate racism themes throughout as well as a story that keeps wondering whether the plan will work out in the end. The action in this film is amazingly over the top with blood splattering everywhere and heads exploding left and right. It is almost like Tarantino has used the violence to compliment the style of the film because it looks like good old fashioned special effects. The music in the film is great adding to the atmosphere when playing or purposely omitted. Finally the acting by everyone involved is some of the best performances I have seen from these people and encouraging feelings of hatred towards characters and being pleased to see them suffer. Rating 10 out of 10 The modern western full of style and substance Expand
Apemonkey666Mar 31, 2013
Superb casting makes every moment of this film an absolute joy to watch despite its 165 min length. Waltz and DiCaprio steal the show, but the acting is allround exellent. Production design, cinematography, costumes and music (except for someSuperb casting makes every moment of this film an absolute joy to watch despite its 165 min length. Waltz and DiCaprio steal the show, but the acting is allround exellent. Production design, cinematography, costumes and music (except for some lame hip-hop songs) were all top level! Highly recommended! Expand
OrctownorcMar 31, 2013
Creatively LAZY, uninventive, poorly edited, over-long. This film is BAD all over. Any hope you have for it at the start ebbs away at a faster and faster pace as it drags on to its pathetic, cliched, gory conclusion. Why is this directorCreatively LAZY, uninventive, poorly edited, over-long. This film is BAD all over. Any hope you have for it at the start ebbs away at a faster and faster pace as it drags on to its pathetic, cliched, gory conclusion. Why is this director renowned? The cinematography is lame and forgettable. Not a single scene or sequence of editing expresses anything of value. Tarantino is a dreadful director of acting. All the performances are bad in this film, and his own cameo is squirm-inspiringly dreadful. The writing is also lame, and it beggars belief that this was given an academy award. All it has in it is the repeated central scene using foreign language, like QT is trying to impress his continental buddies with how hip he is, and then covering itself for the bad script with gratuitous violence of the use-till its BORING Tarantino's use of violence is also weak. In this movie death is used as a comedy prop. When it fails to be funny, it just makes the audience feel naseous. Rather than direct our ill-will towards the supposed 'bad-guys' of the story its likely to lead to our hatred for the script writer: QT himself. I guess there are some giggles to be had laughing at the caricatures of southern American stereotypes. But in the end I felt sorry for the actors, trapped in the circus of bad script. Poor Leonardo De Crapplio was especially bad as the "Candy Man'. Candy has too slaves killed before him in a single day, yet neither scene makes any sense, and is a case of terrible acting failing in a terrible plot. Without a doubt slavery in the South truly piled evil upon evil. Sadly QT has not grown up, and possesses none of the intelligence, wisdom, of vision needed to deal with any of that. His movies continue to get WORSE AND WORSE and this one is just about unwatchably BAD. The one gimmick he has that is endearing is throwing on a good song now and again. But it's just a gimmick QT. You look old, fat, stupid and irrelevant. Brother you ARE! I saw the interview where QT thinks he is in a sweet patch? No boy! You are all washed up! This movie SUCKS! 1/10 for the music. I won't be seeing whatever crap he flings at us next. Expand
jgzegerMar 29, 2013
The violence in this film is really over the top, but that is not unusual for a Quentin Tarantino movie. What you are watching when you see Django is a sick mind at work, not very different from watching Inglorious Bastards. The film is alsoThe violence in this film is really over the top, but that is not unusual for a Quentin Tarantino movie. What you are watching when you see Django is a sick mind at work, not very different from watching Inglorious Bastards. The film is also much too long. Cutting out the gore would probably shorten it by an hour. Expand
ryan_carr772Mar 28, 2013
This is by far my favorite movie of 2012. I am a HUGE Tarantino fan and he definitely didn't disappoint me with this one. Christoph Waltz and Leonardo Dicaprio were incredible!
drakensengMar 28, 2013
great personal story of the main character django. the character felt overpowered and locked on easy mode, when did he become such a hardcore bounty hunter in his short time with dr king. it would have been nice to see him go through somegreat personal story of the main character django. the character felt overpowered and locked on easy mode, when did he become such a hardcore bounty hunter in his short time with dr king. it would have been nice to see him go through some trials. there are a few snooze part like with the bag masks, which had nothing to do with anything and was a waste of time. so the hunter becomes the hunted? would have been nice to see some people coming to collect on django's head. it just had too much of a good guy always wins attitude with cheery music and not enough 'GRIT'. some more variety in action scenes would have been great instead of a dual wielding gun slinger and thats it. more characters to help django in his quest would have been great too. Expand
forestvilleMar 23, 2013
That is another way to have a good time, that a western dish made ​​by Tarantino. Quentin Tarantino returns to give us a work belica amazing and disturbing.

A single theme: revenge. And Tarantino thinks exploit until no more to give. This time it's the deep south of the United States, in which Django (Jamie Foxx), a freed slave by Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz) becomes a hit man to save his wife from the brutal Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), the owner of a cotton plantation where blacks are treated as fighting dogs and women as prostitutes.

As always, Tarantino uses his famous narrative techniques: references to westerns of Sergio Leone or West satires Mel Brooks; metaphorical ultra violent shocks in their dialogue or their images (such as cotton plants spattered with blood and brains), or proud frames Snowscapes that for a moment we suggest that Tarantino may be the one that tells a fable about the period when slavery was legal in the United States. But Quentin is a style, and Quentin is how that translates to bottom: dry humor and a dose of cynicism that always seems waive really explore the subject.

The performances are absolutely spotless, you can expect great scenes with perfect choreography and revenge as melodrama.

The bad thing you may notice is that often extended, many scenes can become boring and take a while to appear the scenes that everyone expects, it is true that violent and low points to the movie, but if you're a big fan of Tarantino, you will have no problem in full view.
That's right: nobody-nobody-chosen music as Tarantino: this time the protagonist returns to make a soundtrack that includes music by Ennio Morricone and songs with vocals 2pac, James Brown and Jamie Foxx.

"A southern spaghetti" is the genre that Tarantino Django Unchained awards and as such is a very tasty and popcorn film.
Not forget to wear a raincoat for bloodshed and enjoy it.
SlimShaddyMar 20, 2013
Mr Tarantino has create yet another master piece. This is the story of freed slave who becomes a bounty hunter travels to rescue his wife it is an hilarious awe inspiring western. brilliant acting all round charming performance from waltzMr Tarantino has create yet another master piece. This is the story of freed slave who becomes a bounty hunter travels to rescue his wife it is an hilarious awe inspiring western. brilliant acting all round charming performance from waltz and powerful performance from leo dicaprio. 10/10 Expand
Smudger599Mar 17, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Django Unchained being Quentin Tarantino's latest film is as usual very exciting and violent, but that goes without saying because its a Tarantino film. With the excellent casting he has managed to get together I don't think the film could have been much better. Dango Unchained is based in 1857 nearing the end of slavery. Django (Jamie Foxx) gives a very gentle character at the beginning but throughout the film he gets very determined character trying to get his wife back Brumhilda (Kerry Washington) who hasn't got a very big role, with help from Dr. King Shultz (Christof Waltz) who is a dentist but works with Django as a partnership being a bounty hunter, Dr King Shultz asks Django to point out who the Brittle brothers are and in reward he will help Django find his wife. Brumhilda (Django's wife) was found to be at Candy Land (a slave farm) owned by Calvin Candy (leonardo DiCaprio). Django and Dr. King Shultz have to try and shoot their way out of Candie land to survive and rescue Broomhilda. Samuel Jackson also appears in the second half of the film as stephan a black slave trader. This film is funny, violent, exciting and memorable for life. Expand
JazMar 11, 2013
Very interesting characters, good acting, some very nice scenes but an average movie as a whole. Still, you have a good time in the theater and that's it.
WayneThomas412Mar 11, 2013
Spike Lee wishes he was as brilliant as Tarantino. Of course He'll call me a racist for that comment instead of actually making a decent film. Tarantino continues to outdo himself. I use to go back and forth between Pulp Fiction andSpike Lee wishes he was as brilliant as Tarantino. Of course He'll call me a racist for that comment instead of actually making a decent film. Tarantino continues to outdo himself. I use to go back and forth between Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Bastards as my favorite Tarantino film, now Django is entered into my internal debate. Undoubtedly the funniest Tarantino scene is the white hood scene. I couldn't stop laughing, it was brilliant! Waltz is incredible, Leo evil, Washington nailed the emotion, Samuel L Jackson made you hate him, and Fox made Django real. The best cast of 2012. Expand
HedilioMar 11, 2013
I think that people tend to give into the hype of a movie just because of who the director is. I thought it was a decent movie, but it has a low of flaws. My biggest problem with it is that for a film that's supposed to be about fighting forI think that people tend to give into the hype of a movie just because of who the director is. I thought it was a decent movie, but it has a low of flaws. My biggest problem with it is that for a film that's supposed to be about fighting for love, it seemed to be pretty absent as a theme. Also, it's supposed to be a sad story, but it turns into some sort of farce halfway through. I left entertained, but confused. Expand
bitterblueMar 11, 2013
An incredibly entertaining film, nothing you wouldn't expect from Tarantino. Great acting by all. The violence is over the top, but that's what you get from Tarantino. Another great soundtrack as well, mixing Western and Hip Hop, my favoriteAn incredibly entertaining film, nothing you wouldn't expect from Tarantino. Great acting by all. The violence is over the top, but that's what you get from Tarantino. Another great soundtrack as well, mixing Western and Hip Hop, my favorite track/scene is with Anthony Hamilton Elayna Boynton's "Freedom." Expand
TheWalrus2000Mar 9, 2013
Its one of Tarantino's best work, Django provides an exhilirating and brutal plot that pleases Tarantino fans and other fans alot.
nutterjrMar 9, 2013
Tarantino is no ordinary director: he has a good ear for music and a vivid imagination for making interesting stories with dazzling dialogues and creating iconic characters that you wont easily forget. And to this extend, this film alsoTarantino is no ordinary director: he has a good ear for music and a vivid imagination for making interesting stories with dazzling dialogues and creating iconic characters that you wont easily forget. And to this extend, this film also adheres to these values and even though it is by no means a bad film, it just isn`t of the same high standard that he has set himself so far. I will definitely see his next film again for the music, the inventive parley and the dialogue and the eccentricity of his leading role. Expand
MossMar 3, 2013
I went to go see this on Christmas Day and since then it has been lodged into my brain and I can't get it out of my head. Very good dialogue, adrenaline pumping action, what's not to like. If you are a Tarantino fan you'll love this movieI went to go see this on Christmas Day and since then it has been lodged into my brain and I can't get it out of my head. Very good dialogue, adrenaline pumping action, what's not to like. If you are a Tarantino fan you'll love this movie with every bit of your heart. This is in my opinion the best movie of 2012 and if my opinion does mean anything my favorite movie of all time. Expand
SwatiFeb 27, 2013
Wow. For its length, the movie flew by at an alarming rate. The dialogue was sharp. Christoph Waltz carried the movie on his shoulders for so long it was a surprise he played only a supporting character. The action, exposition and dialogueWow. For its length, the movie flew by at an alarming rate. The dialogue was sharp. Christoph Waltz carried the movie on his shoulders for so long it was a surprise he played only a supporting character. The action, exposition and dialogue were well balanced, and the script definitely deserved an Oscar. It was highly entertaining. Like Inglourious Basterds, this movie was kind of a wish fulfillment. If someone was oppressed, we as humans would like them to strike back with vengeance. It was a good catharsis. It doesn't mean anyone who enjoyed watching it endorses violence against whites... just that what happened was wrong and those who enslaved should have suffered most horribly. But that time is long gone. Lessons should be learnt from that era, but grudges should be let go. Expand
thairocks88Feb 27, 2013
Django Unchained's greatest strength has always been Tarantino's greatest strength: An original story! In a time of the prequels, sequels, and adaptions of virtually every single novel that appeared in the last decade, Tarantino is a rarityDjango Unchained's greatest strength has always been Tarantino's greatest strength: An original story! In a time of the prequels, sequels, and adaptions of virtually every single novel that appeared in the last decade, Tarantino is a rarity in film making. The ability to create new characters and settings is a huge undertaking in itself, but to make them work is a whole new ballgame. In every Tarantino film, the audience sees the guilty pleasures of a man that just LOVES making good movies. While the film is adequate in the technical areas such as cinematography and editing, the direction and writing of the film is superb! Django is irreverent, hilarious, violent,and frightening that brings back the audience to a place of pure escapism that movies were attended to do. Each scene and shot is unpredictable and made the audience guess in anticipation of what is going to happen next. Tarantino makes no apologies for what he creates and proves that one does need to sell out to the CGI infested billion dollar movie factory to create an original and entertaining film! Expand
CaestusFeb 26, 2013
A great movie, with great actors and real good scenes in it. The soundtrack is one of the best movie soundtracks ever. The only problem is that the film doesn´t maintain the quality after waltz and dicaprio are gone and is therefore notA great movie, with great actors and real good scenes in it. The soundtrack is one of the best movie soundtracks ever. The only problem is that the film doesn´t maintain the quality after waltz and dicaprio are gone and is therefore not getting the full score. Expand
hoops2448Feb 26, 2013
Ever since Reservoir Dogs, Quentin Tarantino has shocked audiences into submission with naturalistic dialogue and unnecessary amounts of fake blood and Django is no different. Django tells the story of Django (Jamie Foxx) a rebellious slaveEver since Reservoir Dogs, Quentin Tarantino has shocked audiences into submission with naturalistic dialogue and unnecessary amounts of fake blood and Django is no different. Django tells the story of Django (Jamie Foxx) a rebellious slave freed by a bounty hunter, Dr King Shultz (A sublime Christoph Waltz) who needs his help hunting his next bounty. The two head off in search of this bounty and Django's wife Broomhilda (Kerry Washington) who is a slave at Candyland, a brutal southern plantation run by Calvin Candie (a wonderfully temperamental Leonardo Dicaprio). It's a thrilling film and the only real problems with Django are that it suffers from some pacing issues and has a woeful cameo by Tarantino himself which borders on hilarity but just manages to irritate. In its dialogue the film sparks but in the build up to the violent set pieces the film flounders until suddenly the gunfire breaks out and we are back off to the races. Its a whole lot of stop and start which in some aspects detract from the enjoyment. Ultimately the film is fantastic for the most part with some fine performances by Waltz, DIcaprio, Foxx and Samuel L Jackson who gives a performance that is on par with his in my opinion best performance in the equally wonderful Tarantino flick Jackie Brown. Despite the bleak nature of the film and the shocking imagery used, Tarantino's wit and keen eye for detail save the film from being downright miserable and even give it a happy go lucky feel which is remarkable. Overall Tarantino delivers on everything you expect with flying colours but deep down you may be expecting a little more originality as he plays multiple cards from his own deck but never strives for anything out of the ordinary. A great film by regular standards, an average Tarantino film. Expand
ShowBaggsFeb 25, 2013
Almost 3 hours and at no stage did it feel drawn out or too long. This trumps Inglorious Basterds and suits as Tarintino's best film. A funny, witty, slick, violent homage to spaghetti westerns set with the dark backdrop of the racist wild west.
charlotteydwiFeb 25, 2013
A film with no flaw. Django Unchained gave me everything I want from a Tarantino film and more. Christoph Waltz in his "supporting" role (Although I, and I think many people would say he stole the show) as Dr Schultz did a fantastic job ofA film with no flaw. Django Unchained gave me everything I want from a Tarantino film and more. Christoph Waltz in his "supporting" role (Although I, and I think many people would say he stole the show) as Dr Schultz did a fantastic job of keeping us all entertained. I cannot go without saying that the casting of the film was impeccable, and watch out for Quentin's cameo, because it's a good one. The costume and set designs as always are beautifully done. The gore is, although over-the-top, is very fun to watch and will have you squirming in your seats. All in all, I am very pleased that Mr Waltz and Mr Tarantino came home happy from the Oscars on Sunday Night. Expand
adamSv94Feb 25, 2013
A great movie that explores one of the most horrible times in our history. "Django Unchained" has Quentin Tarantino's mark all over it no one but him is able to mix humour, action and tragedy in a way like it's done in this movie. MyA great movie that explores one of the most horrible times in our history. "Django Unchained" has Quentin Tarantino's mark all over it no one but him is able to mix humour, action and tragedy in a way like it's done in this movie. My favourite Tarantino-film will always be "Pulp Fiction" but this is his most entertaining movie to date. The only thing that pulls down the overall score of the movie is its lenght it could have been 20-30 minutes shorter. Expand
CarribeanDeanFeb 23, 2013
Skip this bloated turd and do your self a favor: watch the amazing 1966 Django. The days of Quentin Tarantino being cool as a film maker are way over. He needs to be the new Siskel Ebert, that would be awesome.
JakeeeyFeb 23, 2013
Where to begin. This was an extremely disappointing film. Firstly let me start by saying that I am usually a fan of Tarantino's work (Kill Bill vol.1 and Death Proof aside) and I absolutely adored Inglorious Basterds, so obviously with theWhere to begin. This was an extremely disappointing film. Firstly let me start by saying that I am usually a fan of Tarantino's work (Kill Bill vol.1 and Death Proof aside) and I absolutely adored Inglorious Basterds, so obviously with the historical setting I had high hopes for this one. Hopes that were not fulfilled. The characters were just... awful. Bland, almost lucidly fake, or just stupidly unsubtle and over the top like Samuel L Jackson's Uncle Tom or the moustache-twiddling, almost thunder and lightning inducing bad guy Calvin Candie. Seriously, was the cast of characters written by a teenager? Stoned? Then there's the 'comedy'. If you appreciate KKK humour or the shooting of the white devil, then by all means go and see this film and satisfy those moronic urges. Art direction was poor for a Tarantino, no memorable locations apart from the first plantation they visit. Just... really poor. I could literally give many many many more reasons why this film is an abomination but I actually can't be bothered, much how I feel Tarantino felt when making this. As for the stupidly high score, I just have no idea what the 'critics' saw. I mean, it is simply awful. Rant over. Expand
wishmasterFeb 23, 2013
Real film with Tarantino seal, bloody, strong, and reflective of what the black man lived years ago; clear here is changed a little history. Finally, Django is a tough movie with a clever script carried out by good performances mainly theReal film with Tarantino seal, bloody, strong, and reflective of what the black man lived years ago; clear here is changed a little history. Finally, Django is a tough movie with a clever script carried out by good performances mainly the best cast Waltz! Expand
rebel6794Feb 22, 2013
As a native of Mississippi, I have to say that this movie is...Fantastic. It really brings to light the absurdity of slavery and the rampant ignorance found across the country on such an issue. Whites, blacks, Asians, Latinos--ALL ethnicitiesAs a native of Mississippi, I have to say that this movie is...Fantastic. It really brings to light the absurdity of slavery and the rampant ignorance found across the country on such an issue. Whites, blacks, Asians, Latinos--ALL ethnicities sat in the theater together laughing and cringing collectively. It's over-the-top Tarantino at his best. In comparison to Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained is much more balanced, maintaining sharp dialogue and awesome action that audiences have come to love. If this were a truly offensive flick, as critics seem to point out, Django would not have had such excellent actors play lead roles, and the NAACP Image Awards would not have recognized it with such acclaim. Note: Greenville, MS, doesn't look anything like that, but who really cares. Expand
quincytheodoreFeb 20, 2013
Cleverly combining heavy racial slavery topic and exuberant bloodlust in Wild West gunslinger tale, Django Unchained is as a string of intensely gripping sequences. It serves as clashes between personalities, either with means of wit orCleverly combining heavy racial slavery topic and exuberant bloodlust in Wild West gunslinger tale, Django Unchained is as a string of intensely gripping sequences. It serves as clashes between personalities, either with means of wit or bullets, acted by intriguing grandiose characters. Screenplay is amazing, chaining scenes after scenes with such gusto from virile visual and fresh audio tunes. It is, however, a violence-ridden movie, and while the comedy balances it well, it could be seen as antagonizing or offensive.

Acting is all round superior with the star-studded cast. Django (Jamie Foxx) looks youthful, determined, vengeful and sly in one life-altering journey, in short, a charismatic badass. If there's a gunslinger epic with palatable protagonist of then lower class stature, Jamie Foxx is perfectly worthy choice. Christopher Waltz as Dr. King Schultz is a phenomenal presence on-screen. As Django's mentor and partner, this eloquently-speaking German bounty hunter is a strikingly deep character, but in the same time able to provide subtle prominent humor, making him an instant favorite.

Leonardo DiCaprio as plantation owner, Calvin Candie, has a flamboyant capitalist persona, bordering on sneaky businessman with hidden sadistic intention. There's a lingering sense of danger as Django and Schultz delve into his business territory. Samuel L. Jackson as Stephen, a caretaker of Candie family's plantation, Candyland, is highly shrewd while pretending to be a loud old grumpy man. Interaction between the characters is as intense as the gunfights, perhaps more so as it precedes them.

Scenes and cinematography are brilliantly crafted, well-structured and masterfully organized. Each brings simple yet effective shots, the dialogues are interesting and the pace is just right to give much needed characterization. Action sequences are overly exaggerated, often depicting flying bodies which liters of blood leaked from. It's unapologetically gruesome, tortured maiden and nutshots included.

It's a lengthy movie, almost three hours or so, and the racial topic might deter some viewers. Those things aside, it's a splendid movie, something of a made from gunpowder and blood, served brazenly.
houyarmFeb 20, 2013
It appears to be very appealing and attractive from the far but it is actually very meaningless when I look at it from the inside, like a king without cloth.
SilentDogwoodFeb 19, 2013
A ridiculous good time, one of Tarantino's most indulgent yet most thoughtful films yet.
A re-hash of Kill Bill, but with a refreshing setting and with a surprisingly brutal political theme.
idohakerFeb 17, 2013
Tarantino new movie is great he is funny bloody and intresting so let me tell you first why is it funny:all tarantino movies are funny to me becuase that all the killing is so crazy that is very funny.the story is 2 years before the civil warTarantino new movie is great he is funny bloody and intresting so let me tell you first why is it funny:all tarantino movies are funny to me becuase that all the killing is so crazy that is very funny.the story is 2 years before the civil war whan django meets with dr king schultz.and schultz make with django a deal that django will help him with is hunting and in the winter they will rescue is wife.so i am very reccomending django unchained Expand
imthenoobFeb 17, 2013
Waltz, as always, is amazing and Foxx is solid as well. DiCaprio is a solid villain as well. While it is an enjoyable movie, It is far too long (nearly 3 hours). It did get to the point where I simply felt I was grinding out the movie insteadWaltz, as always, is amazing and Foxx is solid as well. DiCaprio is a solid villain as well. While it is an enjoyable movie, It is far too long (nearly 3 hours). It did get to the point where I simply felt I was grinding out the movie instead of enjoying it. I think it would have been more enjoyable if it was shorter. Aside from that, It was a solid movie. Expand
dollarsignFeb 15, 2013
An unapologetic Quentin Tarantino filmed themed around revenge and retribution. "Django Unchained" is about the ruthless emancipation of a taunted slave. Though I saw no profound point to the film, Django's gradual development as an unchainedAn unapologetic Quentin Tarantino filmed themed around revenge and retribution. "Django Unchained" is about the ruthless emancipation of a taunted slave. Though I saw no profound point to the film, Django's gradual development as an unchained monster was quite entertaining. The title of the film is absolutely on-point. Notice how the title is not "Django Freed"....a more beastly adjective was supplemented instead. Memorable quote (paraphrased): "Don't go overboard with the retribution, Django." Dr. King Shultz

Oscar worthy? Debatable.
RoscoFeb 15, 2013
Another classic from the legend that is Quentin Tarantino. He simply doesn't deliver average films and 'Django Unchained' continues his wonderful work. Set in the Deep South and Old West, a freed slave (Jamie Foxx) embarks on a trail acrossAnother classic from the legend that is Quentin Tarantino. He simply doesn't deliver average films and 'Django Unchained' continues his wonderful work. Set in the Deep South and Old West, a freed slave (Jamie Foxx) embarks on a trail across America with a German bounty hunter (Christoph Waltz) to rescue his wife from a charismatic and cruel plantation owner (Leo DiCaprio.) The sequences are sensational from the very beginning but the key component in making this film so great is the two intriguing characters at the heart of it, Foxx and Waltz. Inglorious Basterds was a marvellous movie and I thought that Waltz was the shining light and once again he steals the show. He really is an actor on top of his game under the stewardship of Tarantino and he excels. Compared to other Tarantino outings the film is much more linear excluding less flashbacks. Some will complain about the elements of racism but it's part of what Tarantino is tackling with Django. Foxx proves to be a hit in the lead role and delivers a solid performance. It was a genius piece of casting having Leo DiCaprio as the villain. He is a supreme talent and possibly the finest actor of this generation and once more he is in flawless form as the villain of the movie. As usual Samuel L. Jackson makes an appearance and he, as always, is ever dependable. There's also cameo's from the Director himself, Tarantino and Jonah Hill. Django Unchained is without a doubt one of the best films you'll likely see all year round. It's a must see film and another masterstroke from Quentin Tarantino! It has everything you'd expect from one of his films. The laughs are their in abundance, the actions sequences are superb but there's also the serious issues of racism and slavery at the heart of the tale. And to top it off, there's a stellar cast as always delivering oustanding performances. It is a bit on the long side coming in at just under 3 hours but it's a journey you just have to take all the way through to it's grand stand finish! Make no mistake Django is another work of magic from the maestro that is Quentin Tarantino. Expand
PeikkonaamaFeb 15, 2013
For those who are not QT-believers, Django offers rather dull and tiresome movie with few entertaining moments. See for yourselves on DVD, since in theatre where you must sit still you will just get bored. Curious though, I do not loseFor those who are not QT-believers, Django offers rather dull and tiresome movie with few entertaining moments. See for yourselves on DVD, since in theatre where you must sit still you will just get bored. Curious though, I do not lose attention easily. Enjoyed Hobit and many other lenghty movies, but Django just caused nausea. Expand
WiesyFeb 15, 2013
Very good and sometimes funny western. I like everything on this movie, the cast, the director and the characters, especially Christopher Waltz Dr. King Schultz'. I like this movie a lot!!!
BonesFeb 15, 2013
An exciting film inspired by spaghetti westerns that once again proves that Quentin Tarantino's writing talent is beyond original (although the movie has some recycled material in it) whether if its the funny dialogues or the fictional twistsAn exciting film inspired by spaghetti westerns that once again proves that Quentin Tarantino's writing talent is beyond original (although the movie has some recycled material in it) whether if its the funny dialogues or the fictional twists in the story that is based on the history of American slavery (just like he did in Inglorious Basterds). Quentin is a real filmmaker, he knows exactly how to make his audience feel in every single scene in this film, especially by the help of the amazing score, nonetheless, "Django" is a hilarious film, not only by the help of the brilliant script, but by the help of one of its leading characters bounty hunter Dr King Schultz that is played by one of tarantino's best discoveries, Christopher Waltz, like Tarantino himself, he knows how to express his emotions and story telling in this film. Scene after a scene is a whole other divine cinematic experience although some of them are way too long and should have been cut off. Yes, racism is painful but it's only as painful as this film's punch in the face for our society today. Tarantino's message has certainly spread to my mind, and I am quite positive it will do the same to yours (well not everyone, after all, it's Tarantino). Expand
ZeguFeb 15, 2013
My sole reason that this movie does not get a 10 is that in true Tarantino fashion there were a few ridiculous scenes that took away from the movie. Other than that absolutely fantastic job from everyone involved.
JazzychefFeb 14, 2013
wasnt really planning on watching this after sitting thru truely atrocious inglorious bastards, but didn't mind this one so much, the movie kicks off with classic tarantino cheesy dialogue filled set pieces. the latter scenes splash a in goodwasnt really planning on watching this after sitting thru truely atrocious inglorious bastards, but didn't mind this one so much, the movie kicks off with classic tarantino cheesy dialogue filled set pieces. the latter scenes splash a in good wack of spaghetti western charm. its corny fare, but not hard to watch, and a slight improvement on tarantino's recent outings Expand
normypFeb 14, 2013
This is my favourite Tarantino film yet! Okay, Tarantino fans may not like it because it maybe a tiny bit more mainstream than they'd like but it's got awesome music, a pretty fun story and some awesome acting from Jamie Foxx. I found theThis is my favourite Tarantino film yet! Okay, Tarantino fans may not like it because it maybe a tiny bit more mainstream than they'd like but it's got awesome music, a pretty fun story and some awesome acting from Jamie Foxx. I found the pacing with past Tarantino films to be a bit off but this is perfect, it has those trademark ridiculously long scenes and really long monologues but then also a load of fast paced scenes, humour and action. I liked this one especially because I found it quite provocative about the slave trade, what of his past films have done this? IB with nazi's? Not really. This is going to be one of my favourite films for years to come I can tell! :D Expand
HappymonkFeb 13, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first film I have seen in 2013 is also the first Tarantino film I have seen and the first '18' rated film I have seen at the cinema, and I only have one word to say: Dude. I absolutely loved the film, it was beautifully shot, incredibly well acted (particularly Leonardo Decaprio as Calvin Candy and Christoph Waltz as Dr. Schultz), extremely violent and very funny at times (one of my favourite film moments of all time is the scene completely ridiculing the Ku Klux Klan). This film has made me want to watch every one of Tarantino's films, as I now know what all the fuss is about. I do have a problem with the film however, it is a tad too long, even 10 minutes shaved off the run-time would have been good, however, this is a small gripe with an otherwise perfect film. The film is very well made to show everything in a ridiculous light, other than slavery, which was approached in a way that made parts of the film very hard to watch, but in a good way, as many films based in the 'Wild west' do not even take into account that atrocities like slavery were going on at the time of the cowboy: so I found it educational as well. Bold, bloody, stylistic and not for anybody easily offended by blood or bad language, Django Unchained is one of the best films I have ever seen, if not a little long. Dude, 93/100.

(Also, Candy and Stephen are horrible).
kyldestyFeb 13, 2013
A great movie should keep you interested, anticipating what's going to happen next. Django Unchained does just exactly that. It gives a person what they want. Revenge movies are cool for that sense of justice you can feel from them. Samuel LA great movie should keep you interested, anticipating what's going to happen next. Django Unchained does just exactly that. It gives a person what they want. Revenge movies are cool for that sense of justice you can feel from them. Samuel L Jackson's character is both hilarious and extremely evil which is incredible. Christoph Waltz is a superb actor as seen in Ingloreous Basterds and once again takes top honors for his acting chops.This film is almost 3 hours long and I am hoping for an extended cut when it's released on blu ray. Yes folks it is that good. Expand
geedupFeb 11, 2013
Being a Q Tarentino fan, I am a bit bias. His style of storytelling and characters leave me to like almost everything he has done. Including this film. Jamie Foxx was great, Leo Decraprio was a great villian but C Waltz stole the film as theBeing a Q Tarentino fan, I am a bit bias. His style of storytelling and characters leave me to like almost everything he has done. Including this film. Jamie Foxx was great, Leo Decraprio was a great villian but C Waltz stole the film as the man who brings Django throughout the adventure. The film grabs your attention immediatly and does become dull from brief moments, but the film is nearly 3 hours-so expected some of that. As always a pudgy Tarentino makes his appearance towards the end. Not sure how some say the story (an african american slave getting his revenge/come-uppatnce) is not original/good. There is something for all, a great story, twists and violence to boot. Expand
dudleydog77Feb 10, 2013
Tarantino at his best. Fantastic. Wasn't expecting it to be as long but the time flew by I was gripped throughout. With some great comedy moments too. Up there with Pulp Fiction as Tarantino's best films.
DRCMessiahFeb 8, 2013
I find Tarantino to be on this kick of reversals lately. First he did a Jewish hit sqd killing Nazi's and now Slaves getting revenge. I almost dint want to watch this movie because it just seemed to be a rehash of previous Tarantino film withI find Tarantino to be on this kick of reversals lately. First he did a Jewish hit sqd killing Nazi's and now Slaves getting revenge. I almost dint want to watch this movie because it just seemed to be a rehash of previous Tarantino film with a different setting.

Having said that, this movie surprised me. It was so well done in its spaghetti western style. The script was very well done (as QT normally does). But the Movie never takes itself too seriously. There are very tense action scenes as well as some very comical moments. The characters in this film are very remember-able. If this movie took it self as serious as say reservoirdogs or even pulp fiction, it would have failed. But it was a highly enjoyable movie. Must see even if you dont like QT
dedaloFeb 7, 2013
Great movie that suits Tarantino. The argument is simply but it makes this movie even better (yes, is possible) The only thing that I don't like is the rap music.
reddave2Feb 6, 2013
Proof you can have too much of a good thing? Certainly, Django is just too long and stretched. When it's good, it's excellent with some scenes done really well. The main characters are engaging (Candi, Steven and Schultz being the winners,Proof you can have too much of a good thing? Certainly, Django is just too long and stretched. When it's good, it's excellent with some scenes done really well. The main characters are engaging (Candi, Steven and Schultz being the winners, Django being a little more subdued considering it's his film) and the exchanges between Candi and Schultz are a particular highlight. The violence is extreme but there's a nice touch where the most graphic and affecting moment in the film is only seen through flash frames by Schultz (I wont spoiler it but you'll know what I mean when you see it)

So a great film? Yes and no. I'm a huge QT fan and forgive him more than most (I like Death Proof!) but there's no denying that, much like Peter Jacksons "The Hobbit", that Django Unchained is just that bit too long. There's an un-needed coda at the end which really adds next to nothing, especially after the ferocious and fantastic dinner/ shoot-out at the house scene. Tarantino even throws in a fun, but out of place cameo scene near the end which would have been better placed near the middle. This problem aside, for 3/4 of the film, Django unchained is one of the better Tarantino films and that for me says it all. A 9 for Tarantino fans, maybe more an 8 for others. Metacritic needs an 8.5...
RupertDanielFeb 5, 2013
Quentin Tarantino best film. Some wonderful performances in this film from jamie foxx leo dicaprio christoph waltz which is now one of my favorite actors is just wonderful in this film and samuel l jackson one of his most memorableQuentin Tarantino best film. Some wonderful performances in this film from jamie foxx leo dicaprio christoph waltz which is now one of my favorite actors is just wonderful in this film and samuel l jackson one of his most memorable performance with quotes like "who dis n***a on dat neigh" and dem MF aren't here to buy no mandingo". Beautifully written and well directed 10/10. Expand
foxgroveFeb 5, 2013
Quentin Tarantino gives us another trademark film which, whilst acknowledging the spaghetti westerns of the 60's, is also a true original. The film has some great writing and is performed with relish by an enthusiastic cast playing colourfulQuentin Tarantino gives us another trademark film which, whilst acknowledging the spaghetti westerns of the 60's, is also a true original. The film has some great writing and is performed with relish by an enthusiastic cast playing colourful characters in a film full of colour in every sense of the word. Christoph Waltz does a sort of reprise of his 'Inglorious Basterds' character but is much nicer here, and Leonardo Di Caprio cast against type plays Calvin Candie with villainous relish. For the most part this is a fun journey. Tarantino definitely subscribes to the notion that nothing succeeds like excess, and bloody excess at that! The film is audacious, humorous, violent and a lot of the time played with its tongue firmly in its cheek. Music, including some fabulous new songs, is also used to perfect effect. It's also a pleasure to see a bunch of character actors from the 60's and 70's popping up in supporting roles to remind us of how good they were, and still are Expand
alexandreasFeb 4, 2013
To me this is Tarantino's weakest effort yet. The film is funny at times, but does not manage to sustain interest throughout. It lasts for almost 3(!) hours, which is far too long with a plot as thin as this.
ICERadioUSAFeb 3, 2013
Great Movie! People saying that the use of the N word was over used, "Ummm, how would you know!" Hell as much as I hear it just on XBOX Live Alone, when whites get pissed when getting beat in say COD, I really doubt it was not used as muchGreat Movie! People saying that the use of the N word was over used, "Ummm, how would you know!" Hell as much as I hear it just on XBOX Live Alone, when whites get pissed when getting beat in say COD, I really doubt it was not used as much in a daily business when it was just how the people talked. Having been in Georgia in the 60's I can tell you, it was used a lot then.

For the people saying that slavery did not exist in Western USA, do some research, I will even point you in the right direction with this link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_United_States#History_of_slavery_in_individual_states and to start with say California http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery_in_California ...

Why do so many people hate the truth. Wanna deny how wicked some are or have been, it is what it was and is!

But I also want to give thanks to Blacks, and Whites, or all races, or should I just say "People" that have and continue to help make things known, for to know will make "those" that are wise enough to not be fooled again. Also thanks to these "People" again, for not being bigots or racist!

PEACE to the Humane Mankind.
verycriticalFeb 3, 2013
This movie simply has no genre and that's what makes it interesting. It's pure unadulterated fun within a twisted Tarantino story of revenge. Great acting from DiCaprio and Sam L. Jackson.
RJSteinerFeb 3, 2013
This movie is, as the name implies, chainless or as the young folk say off the chain. Tarantino kills it again, with scenes that have you at the edge of your seat, heros that steal your heart, and antagonists that you love to hate. If youThis movie is, as the name implies, chainless or as the young folk say off the chain. Tarantino kills it again, with scenes that have you at the edge of your seat, heros that steal your heart, and antagonists that you love to hate. If you haven't seen it do your self a favor, get to a theater, watch Django unchained, and thank me later. Expand
chemicalreaperJan 31, 2013
You either love Tarantino or you hate him. If you're an uptight, PC liberal prude who hates Tarantino, this film will do nothing to change your mind. But, if you like your films to be violent and witty, your dialogue brilliant and smart, yourYou either love Tarantino or you hate him. If you're an uptight, PC liberal prude who hates Tarantino, this film will do nothing to change your mind. But, if you like your films to be violent and witty, your dialogue brilliant and smart, your actors sublime and ridiculous, your cinematography sprawling and personal, your soundtrack eclectic and coherent, then "Django Unchained" will become, perhaps, not only one of your favorite Tarantino films, but one of your favorite films, period.

"Django" is Quentin Tarantino in true form, at his best, and while it's a very long film, you will never once feel bored. Hilarious, enlightening, shocking, frightening, saddening, ambitious and greatly, greatly enjoyable, "Django" is hands-down one of the best films I've ever seen.