8.5

1. Feb 13, 2013
    A great movie should keep you interested, anticipating what's going to happen next. Django Unchained does just exactly that. It gives a person what they want. Revenge movies are cool for that sense of justice you can feel from them. Samuel L Jackson's character is both hilarious and extremely evil which is incredible. Christoph Waltz is a superb actor as seen in Ingloreous Basterds andA great movie should keep you interested, anticipating what's going to happen next. Django Unchained does just exactly that. It gives a person what they want. Revenge movies are cool for that sense of justice you can feel from them. Samuel L Jackson's character is both hilarious and extremely evil which is incredible. Christoph Waltz is a superb actor as seen in Ingloreous Basterds and once again takes top honors for his acting chops.This film is almost 3 hours long and I am hoping for an extended cut when it's released on blu ray. Yes folks it is that good. Expand
  2. Feb 11, 2013
    Being a Q Tarentino fan, I am a bit bias. His style of storytelling and characters leave me to like almost everything he has done. Including this film. Jamie Foxx was great, Leo Decraprio was a great villian but C Waltz stole the film as the man who brings Django throughout the adventure. The film grabs your attention immediatly and does become dull from brief moments, but the film isBeing a Q Tarentino fan, I am a bit bias. His style of storytelling and characters leave me to like almost everything he has done. Including this film. Jamie Foxx was great, Leo Decraprio was a great villian but C Waltz stole the film as the man who brings Django throughout the adventure. The film grabs your attention immediatly and does become dull from brief moments, but the film is nearly 3 hours-so expected some of that. As always a pudgy Tarentino makes his appearance towards the end. Not sure how some say the story (an african american slave getting his revenge/come-uppatnce) is not original/good. There is something for all, a great story, twists and violence to boot. Expand
  3. Feb 10, 2013
    Tarantino at his best. Fantastic. Wasn't expecting it to be as long but the time flew by I was gripped throughout. With some great comedy moments too. Up there with Pulp Fiction as Tarantino's best films.
  4. Feb 8, 2013
    I find Tarantino to be on this kick of reversals lately. First he did a Jewish hit sqd killing Nazi's and now Slaves getting revenge. I almost dint want to watch this movie because it just seemed to be a rehash of previous Tarantino film with a different setting.

Having said that, this movie surprised me. It was so well done in its spaghetti western style. The script was very well done (as QT normally does). But the Movie never takes itself too seriously. There are very tense action scenes as well as some very comical moments. The characters in this film are very remember-able. If this movie took it self as serious as say reservoirdogs or even pulp fiction, it would have failed. But it was a highly enjoyable movie. Must see even if you dont like QT
  5. Feb 7, 2013
    Great movie that suits Tarantino. The argument is simply but it makes this movie even better (yes, is possible) The only thing that I don't like is the rap music.
  6. Feb 6, 2013
    Proof you can have too much of a good thing? Certainly, Django is just too long and stretched. When it's good, it's excellent with some scenes done really well. The main characters are engaging (Candi, Steven and Schultz being the winners, Django being a little more subdued considering it's his film) and the exchanges between Candi and Schultz are a particular highlight. The violence isProof you can have too much of a good thing? Certainly, Django is just too long and stretched. When it's good, it's excellent with some scenes done really well. The main characters are engaging (Candi, Steven and Schultz being the winners, Django being a little more subdued considering it's his film) and the exchanges between Candi and Schultz are a particular highlight. The violence is extreme but there's a nice touch where the most graphic and affecting moment in the film is only seen through flash frames by Schultz (I wont spoiler it but you'll know what I mean when you see it)

So a great film? Yes and no. I'm a huge QT fan and forgive him more than most (I like Death Proof!) but there's no denying that, much like Peter Jacksons "The Hobbit", that Django Unchained is just that bit too long. There's an un-needed coda at the end which really adds next to nothing, especially after the ferocious and fantastic dinner/ shoot-out at the house scene. Tarantino even throws in a fun, but out of place cameo scene near the end which would have been better placed near the middle. This problem aside, for 3/4 of the film, Django unchained is one of the better Tarantino films and that for me says it all. A 9 for Tarantino fans, maybe more an 8 for others. Metacritic needs an 8.5...
  7. Feb 5, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino best film. Some wonderful performances in this film from jamie foxx leo dicaprio christoph waltz which is now one of my favorite actors is just wonderful in this film and samuel l jackson one of his most memorable performance with quotes like "who dis n***a on dat neigh" and dem MF aren't here to buy no mandingo". Beautifully written and well directed 10/10.
  8. Feb 3, 2013
    Great Movie! People saying that the use of the N word was over used, "Ummm, how would you know!" Hell as much as I hear it just on XBOX Live Alone, when whites get pissed when getting beat in say COD, I really doubt it was not used as much in a daily business when it was just how the people talked. Having been in Georgia in the 60's I can tell you, it was used a lot then.

For the

For the people saying that slavery did not exist in Western USA, do some research, I will even point you in the right direction with this link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_United_States#History_of_slavery_in_individual_states and to start with say California http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery_in_California ...

Why do so many people hate the truth. Wanna deny how wicked some are or have been, it is what it was and is!

But I also want to give thanks to Blacks, and Whites, or all races, or should I just say "People" that have and continue to help make things known, for to know will make "those" that are wise enough to not be fooled again. Also thanks to these "People" again, for not being bigots or racist!

PEACE to the Humane Mankind.
  9. Feb 3, 2013
    This movie simply has no genre and that's what makes it interesting. It's pure unadulterated fun within a twisted Tarantino story of revenge. Great acting from DiCaprio and Sam L. Jackson.
  10. Feb 3, 2013
    This movie is, as the name implies, chainless or as the young folk say off the chain. Tarantino kills it again, with scenes that have you at the edge of your seat, heros that steal your heart, and antagonists that you love to hate. If you haven't seen it do your self a favor, get to a theater, watch Django unchained, and thank me later.
  11. Jan 31, 2013
    You either love Tarantino or you hate him. If you're an uptight, PC liberal prude who hates Tarantino, this film will do nothing to change your mind. But, if you like your films to be violent and witty, your dialogue brilliant and smart, your actors sublime and ridiculous, your cinematography sprawling and personal, your soundtrack eclectic and coherent, then "Django Unchained" willYou either love Tarantino or you hate him. If you're an uptight, PC liberal prude who hates Tarantino, this film will do nothing to change your mind. But, if you like your films to be violent and witty, your dialogue brilliant and smart, your actors sublime and ridiculous, your cinematography sprawling and personal, your soundtrack eclectic and coherent, then "Django Unchained" will become, perhaps, not only one of your favorite Tarantino films, but one of your favorite films, period.

"Django" is Quentin Tarantino in true form, at his best, and while it's a very long film, you will never once feel bored. Hilarious, enlightening, shocking, frightening, saddening, ambitious and greatly, greatly enjoyable, "Django" is hands-down one of the best films I've ever seen.
  12. Jan 31, 2013
    This film is simply epic, the directing is extraordinary the acting is brilliant and the script plays up to the actors perfectly. So far this film is number 1 on my list for 2013, all i can say is you shouldn't miss it!
  13. Jan 30, 2013
    Another great Tarantino movie. Christoph Waltz is as amazing as "Basterds" and even Jamie Foxx is likeable. The storyline is creative, brutal, and effective. Full of shocks and hilarious gratuitous violence, Django is a film to be seen.
  14. Jan 28, 2013
    I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.
  15. Jan 28, 2013
    Django Unchained has it all. I would describe as half action-adventure, half comedy. Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson provide terrific performances as Calvin Candie, a dastardly plantation owner, and Stephen, Calvin's deceivingly smart servant. Foxx was pretty good, although his performance tailed off in the second part of the movie.

The only negative thing about the film I can

The only negative thing about the film I can think of is some unexplained scenes. The movie initially had a runtime of 6 hours, so instead of making 2 films like Kill Bill, Tarantino shoehorned all of the content into a single film. There are some distinct characters and dialogue appertaining to them and it would have been nice to have seen some of Django's back-story. To sum everything up, Django is a completely unique experience, a welcome change from the generic action films Hollywood seems to belch out every month.
  16. Jan 27, 2013
    What a great spectacle. This is what going to the movies should feel like. I already loved Inglorious Bastards but this one is even better because it is a little bit more focused. It is not a perfect film because 3 hours are a little too much. With 20 minutes less it would be perfect. But damn I so enjoyed it and the rest of the theatre seemed to enjoy it too. Jokes, amazing scenes,What a great spectacle. This is what going to the movies should feel like. I already loved Inglorious Bastards but this one is even better because it is a little bit more focused. It is not a perfect film because 3 hours are a little too much. With 20 minutes less it would be perfect. But damn I so enjoyed it and the rest of the theatre seemed to enjoy it too. Jokes, amazing scenes, Tarantino´s typical take on things and especially... the performances WoW Everybody is perfect: Jamie Fox, Christoph Waltz and Samuel L. Jackson are so great... but the biggest thing is Leonardo Dicaprio. What a great and different role and villain for him. He´s perfection in here and steals the show: so creepy, funny and effeminate. It´s superb. Nobody would regret seeing this film, a great roller coaster. Expand
  17. Jan 27, 2013
    Great movie, great story, great characters. Once again Tarantino made it!! The script is amazing, the dialoges are very clever as always in his movies!!I will see it again and again!! Nice work Quentin!!
  18. Jan 27, 2013
    This was a hell of a roller coaster ride. Not only because of the high amount of gun action (with a little hand to hand combat too), but also because there happens so much in the story. The one joke after the other and very strong characters with not to mention jamie foxx as a freed slave who seeks his revenge. DiCaprio for the first time as a bad guy wasn't really his cup of teaThis was a hell of a roller coaster ride. Not only because of the high amount of gun action (with a little hand to hand combat too), but also because there happens so much in the story. The one joke after the other and very strong characters with not to mention jamie foxx as a freed slave who seeks his revenge. DiCaprio for the first time as a bad guy wasn't really his cup of tea unfortunately. Overall it is a great movie, you get what you pay for, a very long movie with no boring moment at all, moreover with a lot of humor. The only bad thing why I give this a 9 and no 10 is because the conversations are sometimes a little bit tedious, only because they are supposed to explain the story with no other direct purpose regarding to the development of the characters. All in all an entertaining movie with Tarantino playing a supporting role as icing on the cake. He's not that good at acting, but it was fun to see him acting in the first place :) Expand
  19. Jan 26, 2013
    This movie was awsome, i really liked it and i belive he is a true master. The cast was amazing and all of them created a movie that i was waiting to see for 6 months, definite must see
  20. Jan 26, 2013
    Emotional,stylistically daring and strangely humorous, Django Unchained is another bloody masterpiece of Tarantino's. His unique ability to write a perfect screenplay has once again come to expression with every aspect of the film, and mainly with the exceptional dialogues between the exceptional characters. Christoph Waltz's performance is staggering just like the one in IngloriousEmotional,stylistically daring and strangely humorous, Django Unchained is another bloody masterpiece of Tarantino's. His unique ability to write a perfect screenplay has once again come to expression with every aspect of the film, and mainly with the exceptional dialogues between the exceptional characters. Christoph Waltz's performance is staggering just like the one in Inglorious Bastards. He manages to play the role of such a deep character with rather terrific talent and ability. Another great aspect of the film,sometimes underrated and neglected, is the exceptional choice of music. ( Freedom, i got a name etc.) Expand
  21. Jan 26, 2013
    Great characters played by great actors. Waltz deserves an OSCAR for this role for sure. Amazing story. Memorable scenes and dialogues - Tarantino's style. Awesome operator's work. Could be the best movie in 2013.

P.S. Samuel L. Lewis has both funny and disgusting role here.
  22. Jan 26, 2013
As with all of his directorial endeavours, Tarantino fittingly adopted a shackles are off, anything goes mentality. This mentality in the case of Django Unchained effectively translated on-screen to a gripping, extravagant, bloodthirsty, perfectly paced, often-humourous escapade with aDjango Unchained is quintessential Quentin and it delivers in a way only Tarantino can deliver.
As with all of his directorial endeavours, Tarantino fittingly adopted a shackles are off, anything goes mentality. This mentality in the case of Django Unchained effectively translated on-screen to a gripping, extravagant, bloodthirsty, perfectly paced, often-humourous escapade with a serious political undercurrent that is thoroughly enjoyable. It is most definitely history altering, indulgent, audacious and continually outrageous, but it does make for spectacular viewing.

Django Unchained is a Spaghetti Western genre mash-up written and directed by Quentin Tarantino set in America
  23. Jan 24, 2013
    Tarantino did it again. Django Unchained is the best of his newer movies (Kill Bill, Death Proof, Inglorious Basterds) It's violent, funny, doesn't stand on ceremony with the theme of slavery and is accompanied by an outstandingly awesome soundtrack. The dialogues are the main and the best part of the movie, as usual, the characters are well-written well-acted (DiCaprio has just provenTarantino did it again. Django Unchained is the best of his newer movies (Kill Bill, Death Proof, Inglorious Basterds) It's violent, funny, doesn't stand on ceremony with the theme of slavery and is accompanied by an outstandingly awesome soundtrack. The dialogues are the main and the best part of the movie, as usual, the characters are well-written well-acted (DiCaprio has just proven that he can be a great antagonist), and the action is gory and awesome. Despite being 165-minute-long, the film keeps you hooked all the way. To summarize - it's Tarantino at his finest. Go watch this. Expand
  24. Jan 24, 2013
    Whatever jeer or derogatory comment you want to throw Tarantino's way theres something you can never say about him..and thats that he is not very creative. The guy oozes film from his pores and always tries to break the mould when revising his chosen genre. With Django Unchained he deconstructs the Western and produces some of hi best work yet - just a shame about the not so bright runningWhatever jeer or derogatory comment you want to throw Tarantino's way theres something you can never say about him..and thats that he is not very creative. The guy oozes film from his pores and always tries to break the mould when revising his chosen genre. With Django Unchained he deconstructs the Western and produces some of hi best work yet - just a shame about the not so bright running time.
    concerns a former slave named Django (Jamie Foxx). He is freed by bounty hunter Dr. King Shultz (Christoph Waltz) in order to help him with a bounty. Quite quickly, Shultz takes Django under his wing and trains him as his partner. But he made him a promise: that he would rescue his wife from a plantation owned by the ruthless Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio). And rescuing her is not going to be all that easy.
    Jamie Foxx lends a tortured badassery to the title role, while everyone from the supporting cast to Don Johnson is noteworthy. DiCaprio gives a deliciously dissected performance (it's worth seeing, believe me). And Samuel L. Jackson plays a character of such despicability that it's nothing less than shocking. But it's Christoph Waltz who makes this movie, for me. The guy is exceptional. His wonderfully dark humor and playful delivery just made him a sheer pleasure to watch.
    So Django is a brilliant, eclectic, satirical distorted western but there is one major flaw. That flaw being the final half hour, it does not know when to end and this has a very narcissistic vibe to it saved only by the story elements piecing together. It thankfully doesn't quite ransack what is Quentins deliriously best work since Kill Bill part 1.
  25. Jan 24, 2013
    Django Unchained is Quentin Taratino's bloody and unforgettable spaghetti western that masterfully executes its story and gives us one of the best films of the past few years. Taratino is without a doubt one of the greatest directors of our time, he has proven that several times with films like Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds, and all his films are some of the main reasons that IDjango Unchained is Quentin Taratino's bloody and unforgettable spaghetti western that masterfully executes its story and gives us one of the best films of the past few years. Taratino is without a doubt one of the greatest directors of our time, he has proven that several times with films like Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds, and all his films are some of the main reasons that I have now a great love and appreciation for cinema. He has a certain style and brilliant writing abilities that have made his movies some of the most respected and loved films ever made, and have shown me a different and original style that we never see. This movie brings out a new genre from Taratino and he uses it like a master, making it into a raw and surprisingly original film that any true fan of his will love, and even people not familiar with his work will love. I don't think I have seen a movie as bloody and gritty as this one in a very long time, I mean I have seen some bloody films but at the top of my head this one takes the prize. This film is both a mixture of an entertaining action flick, a slavery drama, and a western comedy. It could also be called a mix of Blazing Saddles and The Outlaw Josey Wales. Some people may see this as a simple action film that really didn't have a point to it, but in my eyes, its Taratino's way of getting the vengeance for all people who were ever a slave or abused by white people. You are going to never view slavery the same way as you did before you saw this movie, and that is a great achievement. This is not an inspirational or life changing film, but it's a film about redemption and that is what Taratino shows in all his films and is what makes this one of the best films I have seen all year. The incredible performances from the cast only add to the greatness of the film, and these are performances you will remember for a long time. I love westerns, I love Quentin Taratino, and I loved this movie and it will likely be remembered as a masterpiece and one of the best films of the decade. Expand
  26. Jan 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For me the best film in the past few years. Not perfect but nearly perfect. The effects are nice and it have a great unsual storyline about slaves. I like that. In the core story its just about love, thats ok. But in the last 5 years i dont see any film about this theme.

The last 10-15min were the most dissapointing for me. Effects were just bad especially when "Tracker Peg" died. You could really see that she gets pulled away. And for the movie was a bit too long. At the end it was quiet hard to watch it. Overall a damn nice movie.
  27. Jan 23, 2013
    Brilliant, funny and violent spaghetti western from Tarantino. Christopher waltz is the shining star of this film, with an amazingly comical performance as Dr. King. Shultz. Same can be said for Samuel Jackson as Steven, utterly brilliantly written character and Jackson responded with a perfect and slightly haunting performance. The only downside to this film was the length, there areBrilliant, funny and violent spaghetti western from Tarantino. Christopher waltz is the shining star of this film, with an amazingly comical performance as Dr. King. Shultz. Same can be said for Samuel Jackson as Steven, utterly brilliantly written character and Jackson responded with a perfect and slightly haunting performance. The only downside to this film was the length, there are some scenes which don't need to be there and it felt like it dragged a bit. With that said, Django Unchained in one of the best Tarantino films so far, undeniably entertaining. Expand
  28. Jan 21, 2013
    Tarantino's masterpiece, Django Unchained is probably one of the best movies I have ever seen.
    I felt that every kind of detail, even the small ones, were intentional, Tarantino though all the details, and put them in the absolute right place!
  29. Jan 21, 2013
    At one point in Quentin Tarantino´s new film "Django Unchained", the director makes a reference to the ancient Greece. Even the Parthenon is referenced, so we can see that references aren't missing in Tarantino´s latest film (The movie is filled with them). In the middle of all these references are lots of fun and heavy violence. This is one of Quentin´s funniest films,At one point in Quentin Tarantino´s new film "Django Unchained", the director makes a reference to the ancient Greece. Even the Parthenon is referenced, so we can see that references aren't missing in Tarantino´s latest film (The movie is filled with them). In the middle of all these references are lots of fun and heavy violence. This is one of Quentin´s funniest films, the humor is so smart and critical and most importantly so entertaining (The KKK scene is hilarious). The violent scenes are very flamboyant and stylized (as in any other Tarantino film) and so much fun. Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz deliver fantastic performances, as you would expect, but even the actors who you wouldn't expect to be great, are, like Don Johnson as Big Daddy. The dialogues are amazing, they´re fast, smart and funny. Django Unchained is definitely a must-see! Expand
  30. Jan 21, 2013
    Let me just start off with saying, after reading many of the negative reviews of this film, I have no idea where people are getting the notion that this is a Western and there was no slavery in the west. The film even says the settings in which the parts take place. Sigh. This was a great movie. It WAS historically accurate, for the most part, and I don't believe they said, **** too much.Let me just start off with saying, after reading many of the negative reviews of this film, I have no idea where people are getting the notion that this is a Western and there was no slavery in the west. The film even says the settings in which the parts take place. Sigh. This was a great movie. It WAS historically accurate, for the most part, and I don't believe they said, **** too much.
    Also, some are saying how it is too bloody. Yes, it is indeed bloody, but what do you expect to come out of humans? Candy? Also, it's Quentin Tarantino (have you seen Kill Bill?). And during a certain shootout when the dead bodies get shot and blood comes out, I find that it is more believable. I mean, if you're in a large scale shootout, how are bodies not going to get shot?
    People are also saying you need to like Tarantino to enjoy this movie. To them, I say, "Wrong!". I greatly enjoyed this film. The only Tarantino film I've seen is Kill Bill, and I thought that movie was okay. Granted, I saw it about seven years ago.
    Concerning the jokes, I felt they were a good way to lighten the darker mood of the film. Many people did not like many jokes and believe them to be stupid, but name one movie in which every human enjoyed every joke.
    All in all, Django: Unchained is a great film.
    And to those complaining about the use of **** you CANNOT make a truly good film concerning slavery without using racial slurs.
  31. Jan 21, 2013
    Tarantino has mastered another category of movie genre: the western. "Django Unchained" joins "The Wild Bunch" and "Unforgiven" as one of the most brilliantly executed homages to the classic western film. The script is big with the western landscape, while managing to be focused and subtle when capturing human emotion. The acting is excellent across all characters, with Jamie FoxxTarantino has mastered another category of movie genre: the western. "Django Unchained" joins "The Wild Bunch" and "Unforgiven" as one of the most brilliantly executed homages to the classic western film. The script is big with the western landscape, while managing to be focused and subtle when capturing human emotion. The acting is excellent across all characters, with Jamie Foxx delivering a powerful, nuanced performance as Django. I was surprised with how entertaining the film was throughout the lengthy running time. Expand
  32. Jan 21, 2013
    This was a great movie. It didn't really have me caring too much at the beginning, but as soon as they ran into Leonardo DiCaprio the movie soared. Lots of exciting action and kick-ass music. Great performances, too. Can't believe DiCaprio got snubbed for Best Supporting Actor. Waltz was good, but DiCaprio was better.
  33. Jan 21, 2013
    This movie is ABSOLUTELY awesome. It's funny, cruel, rude, intense and just perfect. Tarantino simply mastered his own little formula that I'll never will get tired of (big plan at the beginning, main heroes almost achieved goal and then everything ruins). This movie is long, but i didn't feel like that, there's no parts that makes you feel like "why they included this part, they could'veThis movie is ABSOLUTELY awesome. It's funny, cruel, rude, intense and just perfect. Tarantino simply mastered his own little formula that I'll never will get tired of (big plan at the beginning, main heroes almost achieved goal and then everything ruins). This movie is long, but i didn't feel like that, there's no parts that makes you feel like "why they included this part, they could've cut it' every part of this movie makes sense, has place in plot and has a great details. Probably best movie of 2012, but definitely will be one of the best movies of this decade. Expand
  34. Jan 20, 2013
    A violent classic spaghetti-western, Tarantino delivers yet again. An entertaining ride from start to finish, Django Unchained hands out some chuckles and gore-filled shoot-em-up sequences that solidify Tarantino's brilliance in directing, while also giving a dark reflection of the harsh brutality of slavery. 93/100.
  35. Jan 20, 2013
    Solid Tarantino movie; It's definitely one of his best films... Runs a little long, but you don't notice how much time went buy until the credits role.
  36. Jan 20, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino and boy, I get excited when I hear he is going to make another film. That's because, at the beginning, his work seems tangled but once he finishes and polishes it, it becomes a masterpiece. This happened to almost all of his films. Django Unchained is a movie worth waiting for and absolutely worth watching. The best things about his film are (in order):I'm a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino and boy, I get excited when I hear he is going to make another film. That's because, at the beginning, his work seems tangled but once he finishes and polishes it, it becomes a masterpiece. This happened to almost all of his films. Django Unchained is a movie worth waiting for and absolutely worth watching. The best things about his film are (in order): the screenplay; the incredible performances by the stellar cast; the direction; and finally the song choice (we all know that Tarantino doesn't believe in making complete background scores for his films, instead he uses different songs and even collaborates with different artists to make original songs). Let's talk about the screenplay. It is a love story, it's drama, it's thought-provoking, it has the elements of violence. All in all, it is a masterpiece, I think even Tarantino doesn't know what a terrific screenplay he has actually written and that's why he gets shocked when he hears that he is announced as the winner of the original screenplay awards. I'm not going to spoil the film for you by discussing what the screenplay is, you're gonna have to watch it to find out how genuine it is, even if it borrows some elements from real events such as the rise of slavery in the United States in the 19th century, it also includes some fiction to spice up the things and make them more interesting and lovable. The performances are truly impressive especially those of Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCpario, Jamie Foxx and Samuel L. Jackson's. Tarantino always writes his characters in the best way possible and makes their execution even better by giving them such crazy dialogues. I find Waltz's performance the best in the film and I would be happy if he wins the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor considering the fact that there are other nominees, all of whom have won the Oscars already. Moving on to the direction of the film, it's incredible, its pace is perfect, the camera work is amazing, I like those sudden shots at the characters' faces. The direction gives the story-telling more power and contributes to make it a masterpiece. Most of the critics have been bashing this movie because of the words that have been used in the film. I don't think they should ignore the best things about this film over such silly topic. Everyone knows it is used to give it a realistic view and make the viewer believe in what he's watching because the viewer knows how things were supposed to be in that era. Anyway, the critics are critics, and I don't care what they say. This film is an absolute masterpiece of Tarantino and it might even end up in my list of top ten films of 2012. Expand
  37. Jan 19, 2013
    Django Unchained was an excellent movie. It perfectly mixed humor and violence. There are several points in which any Tarantino fan then you will be easily satisfied. Tarantino also satisfies any cravings for a Spaghetti Western as there are all kinds of blood drenched shoot outs. I would highly recommend this film to anyone!
  38. Jan 18, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino must like hearing his name associated with the words, "does it again!" because that's exactly what myself and many others say after seeing one of his films. This movie was a long drawn out drivel that some reviews might have you believe, this was a movie with a good soundtrack and amazing writing and fantastic acting. Pure emotion felt when the horrors of slavery wasQuentin Tarantino must like hearing his name associated with the words, "does it again!" because that's exactly what myself and many others say after seeing one of his films. This movie was a long drawn out drivel that some reviews might have you believe, this was a movie with a good soundtrack and amazing writing and fantastic acting. Pure emotion felt when the horrors of slavery was being exploited within the film. Christoph Waltz did a fantastic job in playing a German bounty hunter. Let me just say.... Leonardo DiCaprio should have gotten a nomination for Best Supporting Actor in the Academy Awards. I mean, WOW did he do an amazing job. I've seen many DiCaprio films and out of all performances given.... THIS one would have to be my favorite. Props to whoever chose the locations for the films it REALLY made me feel like this was actually happening. After the Nazi revenge fantasy, Inglorious Basterds, I was really interested how Quentin Tarantino would take on the horrors that was slavery. I can't praise this film enough without breaking the 5000 character limit. If you were a fan of Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill, you should see this film. Expand
  39. Jan 17, 2013
    QT at his Finest - As an avid QT fan, among his films, I rank this one at @ #3 After Pulp and Inglourious. Storytelling superb as usual, Awesome Dialogue. A stylized, funny, romantic, violent, and dramatic tale done in a way that only QT can do. Not only that, he breaks boundaries with the slavery subject matter that no one else can touch. Movie of the year for me.
  40. Jan 17, 2013
    Tarantino's best film since Pulp Fiction (Just a little bit ahead of Inglorious Basterds). It's a funny, stylised Western which Tarantino has been wanting to do for a while! It's got a great cast, a great soundtrack, a great style about it, it's shot greatly and over is just a great film, only tiny criticism would be that it was tiny bit too long, other than that - loved it! 9/10
  41. Jan 16, 2013
    Tarantino like Tarantino. Good plot, best game of actors, BEST THEME - western. And goddam, it's best soundtrack of all film industry about ten years.
  42. Jan 15, 2013
    This movie was spectacular, action, comedy, suspense, drama, a valuable history lesson, and a love story.. you couldn't ask for anything more! Not sure if anyone else noticed, but NO ONE used the "N" word with the "er" at the end of the word. In my opinion it was extremely tasteful and tactful in all aspects. The entire movie was well put together and kept me on the edge of my seat theThis movie was spectacular, action, comedy, suspense, drama, a valuable history lesson, and a love story.. you couldn't ask for anything more! Not sure if anyone else noticed, but NO ONE used the "N" word with the "er" at the end of the word. In my opinion it was extremely tasteful and tactful in all aspects. The entire movie was well put together and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time! Samuel L. Jackson played one of the best roles I have ever seen. I have seen every movie that Kerry Washington has been a part of and is an extremely underrated actress. This role displayed how truly talented she really is. I expect to see her in many more films in the near future. Leonardo DiCaprio was "EXTRAORDINARY" in this movie.. He played that role perfectly and showed his audience how deserving he is of any award that he earns from this and more. And Last but not least.. Jamie Fox.. What can I say.. Great singer but even better actor. I believe that this man put his ALL into this role. This movie needs to win an Oscar, Toni award or something!! I am African American and was not offended at all. If people feel as though they are offended they need to analyze themselves.. That was past an quite honestly the younger generation of today doesn't know horrible details of slavery, this film will give them an in depth look at what our ancestors went through for our freedom and equality. Expand
  43. Jan 14, 2013
    The highly original opening of 'Inglorious Basterds' with the glass of milk and the pipes did not come from focus group consultations. Quentin Tarantino does not make formulaic predictable dross. I am so glad this did not let me down. The soundtrack, the comic mock violence and the highly enjoyable performances from the cast was such a relief after a turgid punishing, Lincoln.
  44. Jan 13, 2013
    Just as he struck the Nazis in Inglourious Basterds, Tarantino takes his aim in Django Unchained at Southern slave owners before the Civil War, etching their moral defects into a brutal tale of freedom and intrigue. After the first scene set in an isolated forest where wily German bounty hunter "Dr. Schultz" finds and frees Django in order to lead him to a bounty, the teamed duo embark onJust as he struck the Nazis in Inglourious Basterds, Tarantino takes his aim in Django Unchained at Southern slave owners before the Civil War, etching their moral defects into a brutal tale of freedom and intrigue. After the first scene set in an isolated forest where wily German bounty hunter "Dr. Schultz" finds and frees Django in order to lead him to a bounty, the teamed duo embark on a killing odyssey, jumping bounties, getting rich and facing all of the vile and ingrained implications involved with racist Southern slavery into a series of action-packed vignettes. Some might say Tarantino has offered us just another violent-frenzied exploitation film, but he does so in the best way possible, knowing when and where to tug to make the audience laugh and cringe, and does so with great characters, dialogue and tension. He knows how to do what every great director should know how to do. Expand
  45. Jan 13, 2013
    Tarantino follows his formula and doesn't dissapoint. Django Unchained is a masterfully crafted film and is as entertaining and smart as anything he's ever done. Christoph Waltz deserves another Academy Award for an amazing performance.
  46. Jan 13, 2013
    Tarantino's best since Pulp Fiction. Violent. Sentimental. Enthralling. The actors enliven the script under Tarantino's direction, and create a modern (south) Western spectacle that Tarantino fans will savor.
  47. Jan 13, 2013
    The film is amazing. It contains everything you'd expect from Quentin and much more. dark humour, violence, great action, one liners and most of all its **** cool. Anyone one that marks this lower than ten doesn't know **** all about films...... and should be shot in the face!
  48. Jan 12, 2013
    Certainly an amazing accomplishment of a film. Django Unchained is best described as fun. It had excellent acting and was at all times enjoyable. While it does force you to confront thoughts you rarely acknowledge, it is hilarious much of the way through. The plot was extremely predictable in a very good way. You can see what's coming a mile away and you want it to arrive. AnyoneCertainly an amazing accomplishment of a film. Django Unchained is best described as fun. It had excellent acting and was at all times enjoyable. While it does force you to confront thoughts you rarely acknowledge, it is hilarious much of the way through. The plot was extremely predictable in a very good way. You can see what's coming a mile away and you want it to arrive. Anyone criticizing the predictability as a bad thing is likely doing so simply to criticize. I would recommend this movie to anyone not disturbed by extreme violence and cruel behavior. Expand
  49. Jan 12, 2013
    Best Tarantino movie till Pulp Fiction, and great script, also excellent casting for this ocassion, altough I expected to see Kevin Costner, Dicaprio did a really great job and of course Cristoph Waltz play looked so real, but best actor of the movie was Samuel L Jackson. Won't spoil anymore! See it by yourself.
  50. Jan 11, 2013
    Quentin' s western is comedy, violence, and incredibly script with excellent actuation's remarking Di Caprio and Waltz. Totally good film. And the most important is that is fun
  51. Jan 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome, Awesome, and Awesome. Probably one of QT's best as well as a top notch character part for SLJ and Leo! I just left the theatre and really didn't think I'd enjoy the movie as much as I did after watching the previews over the past few weeks. Boy, was I wrong. Lots of laughs and, if you can get over the 'n' word (which, by the way, no one should get offended since this is pre-civil war south we're dealing with), the movie is filled with a twist on QT's wit in bringing out certain quirky (if not strange) qualities in whites, as well as a good portrayal of southern slaves (with some added wit). I especially liked the face that more black faces were seen in this movie (hopefully, one of the best this year for Oscar) which are too often lacking in big sellers in recent film industry. Thanks QT for such a great cast, acting, and laughs!! Can't wait to purchase this from store shelves. Expand
  52. Jan 11, 2013
    One of Tarantino's best films. The pacing is good throughout, but seems to be artificially quickened in a couple parts of the movie. Even so, there's enough here to keep fans entertained for the duration.
  53. Jan 11, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino does yet another outstanding performance with Django Unchained! The acting was superb from every actor but Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio did it for me this time. The cinematography was gorgeous and the music couldn't have been more appropriate. However, at times this movie felt predictable. From watching a lot of QT, you get used to the way he sets out the storyQuentin Tarantino does yet another outstanding performance with Django Unchained! The acting was superb from every actor but Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio did it for me this time. The cinematography was gorgeous and the music couldn't have been more appropriate. However, at times this movie felt predictable. From watching a lot of QT, you get used to the way he sets out the story etc. and Django was just a perfect example of a QT classic. Nevertheless, it was enjoyable, entertaining and a bloody good movie. I would totally recommend it. Expand
  54. Jan 10, 2013
    Excellent film. My favorite Tarantino movie to date. Like many Tarantino films, this movie makes you think, but it's a comedy. Django Unchained invokes a wide variety of emotions. One moment, you will be sickened. Then you'll get angry. And in the middle of those things, and before and after it all, you'll laugh. Sometimes you'll wonder if you were supposed to laugh, but you'llExcellent film. My favorite Tarantino movie to date. Like many Tarantino films, this movie makes you think, but it's a comedy. Django Unchained invokes a wide variety of emotions. One moment, you will be sickened. Then you'll get angry. And in the middle of those things, and before and after it all, you'll laugh. Sometimes you'll wonder if you were supposed to laugh, but you'll laugh anyway. And in the center of it all are interesting, genuine characters. Christoph Waltz plays Dr. Shultz, a German bounty hunter who is incredibly educated. Leonardo DiCaprio plays a Southern plantation owner, Calvin Candie, who is just plain sickening. Samuel L. Jackson plays DiCaprio's slave whose family has served the Candies for generations. And finally, there's Django, played by Jamie Foxx, a former slave who wishes to save his wife and exact vengeance on those who would keep slaves. These characters are some of my favorite movie characters of all time. The movie is worth watching just for them. Expand
  55. Jan 10, 2013
    Well, I was ready for nothing less than a masterpiece, got it in spades... I am amazed at the quackery in the world of critiquing movies professionally. Anyone that has any idea as to what they were in for when they decided to go see this movie, would leave a very happy movie goer. This is classic QT, and as predictable as it may be for some, I sure as hell did not see certain plot twistsWell, I was ready for nothing less than a masterpiece, got it in spades... I am amazed at the quackery in the world of critiquing movies professionally. Anyone that has any idea as to what they were in for when they decided to go see this movie, would leave a very happy movie goer. This is classic QT, and as predictable as it may be for some, I sure as hell did not see certain plot twists coming, and I am damn good at reading plot. Anyhow. This deserves all 10's, it will delight you if you are indeed an individual that can understand and appreciate what it is and why it is so important as a work of art. Otherwise, go back to your Bridesmaids and Twilight flicks. What a joy of a horror it was. Expand
  56. Jan 10, 2013
    Probably the greatest movie ever created. Incredible while watching it, cinematography and everything. Great to reflect upon as well. Perfect. Quentin Tarantino.
  57. Jan 8, 2013
    This film is incredible.It's Tarantino at his best.The soundtack is so cool, the quotes are hilarious and the acting is compelling.I had an overdose of joy watching this.Tarantino is a movie nerd and it shows in his films. People can say what they like, find tiny faults here and there, but that's what makes it great.The rawness makes it feel more real.Anybody who likes cult B movies willThis film is incredible.It's Tarantino at his best.The soundtack is so cool, the quotes are hilarious and the acting is compelling.I had an overdose of joy watching this.Tarantino is a movie nerd and it shows in his films. People can say what they like, find tiny faults here and there, but that's what makes it great.The rawness makes it feel more real.Anybody who likes cult B movies will be blown away.Not everybody has the same taste, just like we don't all have the same IQ,so no surprise to see some negative reviews. Expand
  58. Jan 8, 2013
    Django Unchained is Quentin's best film since pulp fiction. Its funny, sick, and extremely entertaining on all levels. Unlike his other films the movie never drags and mixes comedy and violence to near perfection.
  59. Jan 7, 2013
    It was over all a really good movie, as QT is a film master himself. The movie had a good story, good performances and characters, and was a little humorous too. However it was a bit too long.
  60. Jan 7, 2013
    This is the best film I've seen this year. Incredibly entertaining, hilarious and just satisfying to watch. All of the negative reviews seem to be from people who are offended by bad language and violence. Umm, don't go see a QT movie if you are so thin-skinned. For the rest of the adult audience, do not miss this one in the theaters. An amazing experience you will not soon forget.
  61. Jan 6, 2013
    Fan-f*cking-tastic! Dynamite dialogue, sensational storytelling, and ravishing revenge. My OCD brain could not find a single fault with this movie. Absolutely loved it. Top 10 best movies I've ever seen.
  62. Jan 6, 2013
    Great movie expecially if you are a fan of Quentin Tarantinos films. The time period this movie takes place in adds the great classic revenge tone Tarantino is know to use. During the whole time of the movie there is no point were it drops and becomes boring, there is always something happening. The only problem with this great film is the last 20 min. or so of the movie, it seemed thatGreat movie expecially if you are a fan of Quentin Tarantinos films. The time period this movie takes place in adds the great classic revenge tone Tarantino is know to use. During the whole time of the movie there is no point were it drops and becomes boring, there is always something happening. The only problem with this great film is the last 20 min. or so of the movie, it seemed that Tarantino had to rush it. But overall the film is a great addition to Tarantinos collection. 9/10 Expand
  63. Jan 5, 2013
    The critics review for this movie are all right. The negatives that they point out are true, it is long, ridiculously bloody, and personally, the editing is awful (specifically the first half). However the acting, writing, and directing were great attributes that led this movie to glorious endings and beautiful scenes. It is DiCaprio's best acting since Blood Diamond, and the script makesThe critics review for this movie are all right. The negatives that they point out are true, it is long, ridiculously bloody, and personally, the editing is awful (specifically the first half). However the acting, writing, and directing were great attributes that led this movie to glorious endings and beautiful scenes. It is DiCaprio's best acting since Blood Diamond, and the script makes you feel the hatred and revenge that this movie exhibits. Go see it, I would understand if you don't like it as much as me but you will get your moneys worth in the gunfight scenes alone. Expand
  64. Jan 5, 2013
    "Django Unchained" is a 2012 American history film directed and written by Quentin Tarantino. The movie stars Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington, Samuel L. Jackson and Walton Goggins. THE PLOT - It takes place in the late 1850's in the Southern region of the United States of America. A German immigrant who works as a bounty hunter for a living named Dr. King"Django Unchained" is a 2012 American history film directed and written by Quentin Tarantino. The movie stars Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington, Samuel L. Jackson and Walton Goggins. THE PLOT - It takes place in the late 1850's in the Southern region of the United States of America. A German immigrant who works as a bounty hunter for a living named Dr. King Schultz helps a black man named Django escape from slavery. From there, Schultz and Django work together as bounty hunters and go on a mission to free Django's wife Broomhilda from a sadistic plantation owner named Calvin Candie. THE MAIN CHARACTERS - Django - A violent and angry ex-slave with revenge on his mind. He is a classic blaxploitation hero. He is fearless and a lot of members in the black audience will especially like him because he takes on the worst kind of racism in a very extreme and violent way. He reminds me of a real-life renegade slave from the 1830's named Nat Turner. Dr. King Schultz - Another violent man, but the majority of the audience will like him because he is a sympathetic white man towards the slaves in the U.S.A. and it's not like the men he kills are exactly good men who deserve pity. He reminds me of the abolitionist John Brown. (To history buffs - If you're familiar with Nat Turner and John Brown then just envision those two men working together and that is essentially to what we are treated to in "Django Unchained".) Calvin Candie - A charismatic, but very cruel white man who owns a large number of slaves. Candie also has a small gang of violent and racist white men (and one white woman) who work for him and do all his dirty work and clearly enjoy doing it. Django and Dr. Schultz meet their match when they encounter these people. Stephen - Candie's head and most loyal slave. He is an elderly black man who has been working for the Candie family his whole life. He is the eyes and ears for Candie. The film has all kinds of entertaining characters, but I believe those are the four who will get your attention the most. THE PACING OF THE MOVIE - The film is almost three hours long, but it went by very fast, and I was sad to see it end. I rarely enjoy films that are too long, but I literally loved every second of "Django Unchained". The pacing is wonderful. THE ACTION - The film has Quentin Tarantino's thumbprint all over it and if you're familiar with Quentin Tarantino films you know what I'm talking about. The film is very violent, so people who don't like violence should not watch the film. Those who love action films however will be in Heaven. THE RACISM - Some of the racism will bother some people, and you'll hear the "N" word a lot. However, in slavery days the "N" word was not consider a racist word. It was simply what black people were called by white people for the most part. (Heck, the word "racist" did not even enter society until after World War II. Just FYI.) Slavery happened in the U.S.A. rather we like it or not. We cannot make it go away by ignoring it. I personally think it is disrespectful to the memory of slaves by not realistically acknowledging what they went through and trying to forget it as if their feelings do not matter. THE SOUNDTRACK - The soundtrack is great and memorable, filled with a very diverse list of songs from 1960's instrumental western movie music all the way to rap music. It will really increase your emotions through out the film. MY THOUGHTS - As a long time American slavery/American Civil War history buff, I greatly enjoyed "Django Unchained" and feel it is one of the best history films ever made. Because I am so familiar with the time period that "Django Unchained" takes place in, as well am aware of the abuse slaves faced, I invested a lot of emotion into the film and that is what made it extra entertaining to me. Combined with the fact that it is a Quentin Tarantino film. I feel he creates highly realistic characters and that's why so many people love his work. Tarantino is truly a genius and the Mozart of filmmakers. I also enjoyed the cameos by Ted Neeley and Robert Carradine. There are some other memorable cameos as well. That's one of the many appealing things about QT and his films - He always casts the coolest people, even for small roles. Finally - For what it's worth - Even though the film was not a comedy, there was a funny scene that almost made me choke it made me laugh so much and it takes a lot to make me laugh. There are a few other comical moments as well that serve as wonderful comic relief. I highly recommend "Django Unchained" to history buffs, those who enjoy action films, Quentin Tarantino fans, and people who love classic Western cinema. (If you enjoy all of those kinds of films, this film will no doubt become one of your favorite films of all time.) Expand
  65. Jan 5, 2013
    This movie is not for everyone. My parents hated it because they were expecting a straight-up western they were wrong. If you don't know who Quentin Tarrantino is then this movie is probably going to annoy you. I'm a HUGE Tarrantino fan so I got exactly what I was expecting... The best movie I've watched all year, and the opening was absolutely fantastic. If you like Pulp Fiction, KillThis movie is not for everyone. My parents hated it because they were expecting a straight-up western they were wrong. If you don't know who Quentin Tarrantino is then this movie is probably going to annoy you. I'm a HUGE Tarrantino fan so I got exactly what I was expecting... The best movie I've watched all year, and the opening was absolutely fantastic. If you like Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds, or From Dusk till Dawn and you liked the "STYLE" those films had then do yourself a favor and check this awesome movie out now!!! Expand
  66. Jan 5, 2013
    It's been a couple of weeks since I've seen it, but the 3 aspects of the film that stick out the most are (1) the length - about 30 minutes could have been shaved out from it - though I do love the extended dialogue sequences featuring Christoph Waltz, and it's a treat to be able to root for him after loving to hate him in Basterds; (2) the humor - the homage to Blazing Saddles with theIt's been a couple of weeks since I've seen it, but the 3 aspects of the film that stick out the most are (1) the length - about 30 minutes could have been shaved out from it - though I do love the extended dialogue sequences featuring Christoph Waltz, and it's a treat to be able to root for him after loving to hate him in Basterds; (2) the humor - the homage to Blazing Saddles with the hood scene is worth the price of admission alone; and (3) a slightly missed opportunity with DiCaprio - for some reason, I felt like I should have despised him more. Yes, he's a scoundrel who does horrible things, but I didn't want him to burn as much as I wanted other Tarantino villains to meet their demise. It's an excellent film, but it doesn't compare to Pulp Fiction, which is also long, but extremely tight in its sequencing. Expand
  67. Jan 3, 2013
    As a lover of Spaghetti Westerns (Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite) and Tarentino films (Death Proof is my favorite), it was a no-brainer that I would enjoy this film. I was only a little surprised at how thoroughly I enjoyed it. From start to finish I was captivated. Do I think this is an absolutely great film that everyone must go see before they die? Nope. I can see where aAs a lover of Spaghetti Westerns (Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite) and Tarentino films (Death Proof is my favorite), it was a no-brainer that I would enjoy this film. I was only a little surprised at how thoroughly I enjoyed it. From start to finish I was captivated. Do I think this is an absolutely great film that everyone must go see before they die? Nope. I can see where a lot of people would not enjoy it. It is not a heavy thinkpiece or a soulless action flick. It is a character driven film with great moments of high tension (I do not believe anyone does it better today than Quentin) done by someone who has a great appreciation for the art - the way he makes pouring a beer pop with sound and image is one of the few things that earn him the right as a master. I left the theater wondering when I would have the chance to go see it again. Expand
  68. Jan 2, 2013
    I hate to state the (very) obvious, but 'Django Unchained' is just what you would expect from a film by Quentin Tarantino. Granted, 'Django' isn't his greatest film where emotional depth and resonance is concerned, but it certainly is the most entertaining. I had a blast. It is probably the single film this year that I had particularly high hopes for that were met to the exact level of myI hate to state the (very) obvious, but 'Django Unchained' is just what you would expect from a film by Quentin Tarantino. Granted, 'Django' isn't his greatest film where emotional depth and resonance is concerned, but it certainly is the most entertaining. I had a blast. It is probably the single film this year that I had particularly high hopes for that were met to the exact level of my expectations. It follows the same type of mold of any Tarantino film. There are many drawn out scenes of interesting dialogue that typically conclude with sudden bursts of super-violence which are meant to be jarring (and are). There are multiple cameos from established actors (trust me, there are a lot of them) and there is usually one standout off-the-wall character that parades around like a controlled, unsettling lunatic. Those shoes, last filled by Christoph Waltz in 'Inglourious Basterds', are now worn by Leonardo DiCaprio as the racist and refined francophile brat, Calvin Candie. He is truly a great villain here, delivering one of the best character interpretations of his career. All of the other performances are great too, though. Waltz proves his worth as a full-on Tarantino convert as the morally good Dr. Schultz, demonstrating the control he had in 'Inglourious Basterds', but with the traces of humanity that didn't exist in Hans Landa. Samuel L. Jackson, a standard in Tarantino movies, gives a thoroughly maddening performance as the book-keeping slave (the name escapes me now), whose motives and actions are consistently intriguing. And who could forget Foxx, displaying a cool, hardened, revenge-driven character so filled with spite for the evil around him that it nearly jeopardizes his plans to save his wife at every turn. I am also happy that, when writing the script, the word n****r wasn't taken out, not shying away for the times of today out of reverence for historical accuracy. There are plenty scenes worth noting for their brutal violence and often gut-busting hilarity, but I shouldn't spoil the film. You should go see it. It's really awesome. Expand
  69. Jan 2, 2013
    I may be biased since i adored every movie Tarantino puts out (except for Jackie brown, it was just too long for its own good) but seriously, its a fantastic movie. It has a faster pace than most of his movies, and when I say that, there's really only one scene that has a normal amount of Tarantino dialogue. (Tarantino likes to have VERY long scenes of just dialogue, but builds a lot ofI may be biased since i adored every movie Tarantino puts out (except for Jackie brown, it was just too long for its own good) but seriously, its a fantastic movie. It has a faster pace than most of his movies, and when I say that, there's really only one scene that has a normal amount of Tarantino dialogue. (Tarantino likes to have VERY long scenes of just dialogue, but builds a lot of personality) There was some great laughs in the movie. The real kicker was that, yes Jamie Fox was the star, but he is certainly not the one to be watching. Leonardo DiCaprio and Christoph Waltz stole the show and played their characters perfectly. Overall, if you like Tarantino, you should defiantly see this movie, if you don't or haven't seen or heard of Tarantino, its still worth seeing, even if its only once. Expand
  70. Jan 2, 2013
    If you love Quentin Tarantino, you love Django Unchained. Yes, it's bloody at some points. Yes, the language can be offensive. However, everything about this movie is the definition of "cool". This movie was also casted perfectly. I loved everyone in this movie. The single problem I had with the film was when Tarantino went a little over the top with the humor. Imagine watching a classicIf you love Quentin Tarantino, you love Django Unchained. Yes, it's bloody at some points. Yes, the language can be offensive. However, everything about this movie is the definition of "cool". This movie was also casted perfectly. I loved everyone in this movie. The single problem I had with the film was when Tarantino went a little over the top with the humor. Imagine watching a classic western, and then out of nowhere comes blasting rap music for your hero... little things like that were a little bit too absurd for me. Overall an amazing film. Expand
  71. Jan 2, 2013
    Takes all of Tarentino films and make one great movie...........................................................................................................................................................
  72. Jan 2, 2013
    I'm not going to waste my time in defending this brilliant film because it didn't reach a handful of viewers who simply didn't get what Tarantino delivered. Django Unchained is quite simply one of the best movies in a number of years, and might be recognized as one of the director's finest. From it's trademark QT dialogue to it's cinematography, editing, choreography and over the topI'm not going to waste my time in defending this brilliant film because it didn't reach a handful of viewers who simply didn't get what Tarantino delivered. Django Unchained is quite simply one of the best movies in a number of years, and might be recognized as one of the director's finest. From it's trademark QT dialogue to it's cinematography, editing, choreography and over the top slayings, D.U. addresses a gruesome era with zeal, humour and relevance, much like it did with Inglorious Basterds. If you're new to the director's brand, yes, you're in for quite a ride and may not be able to stomach much of what happens. If you're a fan, you're in for another type of ride, one that is blissful, highly entertaining and leaves you replaying a number of it's moments long after the credits roll. There should be many Oscar opportunities here and like his other films, I can't wait to see it again. Retribution has never been so wonderfully refreshing. Brilliant!! Expand
  73. Jan 2, 2013
    Man, what a movie, WHAT AN AMAZING MOVIE !!! It was like a roller coater ride. I was pumped the entire time. I could feel the adrenaline. Everybody delivered a great performance, especially Jamie Foxx. I hope, for once, the academy will considered a good movie like this.
  74. Jan 2, 2013
    Thanks to a seemingly unending overflow of marvelous performances, a bitingly scintillating script, and the always-lovable auteurist techniques of Quentin Tarantino, "Django Unchained" makes for a truly gratifying film adventure and one of the greatest westerns I have ever seen.
  75. Jan 1, 2013
    I had to create an account to help prop this movie up to where it belongs- We all know that QT movies all share certain characteristics, which is why I'm surprised to see complaints about length, violence and language. A QT movie is like a top-shelf whiskey; it's high quality, purely distilled and complex - but it's also harsh! It's for adults with mature pallets. In that context, I feelI had to create an account to help prop this movie up to where it belongs- We all know that QT movies all share certain characteristics, which is why I'm surprised to see complaints about length, violence and language. A QT movie is like a top-shelf whiskey; it's high quality, purely distilled and complex - but it's also harsh! It's for adults with mature pallets. In that context, I feel that QT's filmography has been once again strengthened by this epic film. Yes, it is long - but I didn't want it to end! Yes it's violent, but violence (and the nature and style of the violence) is a QT trademark I expect, and yes it's vulgar, but the film's language reflects the it's setting. What's more, it's brilliantly clever, artful and there are individual performances that are iconic (particularly Waltz and DiCaprio). One other note: This film isn't Blacks vs. Whites - both races are represented by characters on both sides of good and evil. Expand
  76. Dec 31, 2012
    The best Tarantino movie in my opinion, Django is a thrill ride full of laughs, tension and action that enthralls for all of it's nearly 3 hours. I hate needless violence and swearing in movies, but the gore and cussing never feel unnecessary due to the context, and in fact add to the immersion. A must-see.
  77. Dec 31, 2012
    Evocative, controversial, innovative. Another instant classic in Quentin Tarantino's already illustrious career. Recalls "Inglorious Basterds" revenge theme, cathartic and utterly fantastic.
  78. Dec 31, 2012
    This movie handles SO MANY genres at once or in sequence so perfectly that it creates it's own genre. That Genre is Tarantino. It's badass, funny, horrifying and absolutely bloody. If you love Tarantino's work, then this is definitely one of his best, if not THE best movie he's ever produced. Just see this epic movie. It's a goddamn masterpiece.
  79. Dec 31, 2012
    I just saw this epic movie in the theaters, and wow is amazing! Quentin Tarantino is by far my favorite director after this movie. He doesnt do anything wrong esspecially in this master piece. The final shootout is insane to say the least! From begining to finish, this film does not dissapoint! Just see this non stop action movie and you will be blown away! 10 out of 10 definetly
  80. Dec 30, 2012
    Don't listen to the ridiculous, amateurish critics here. The majority of the users giving this film poor views just LOVE films like Wreck it Ralph and The Bourne Legacy. Talk about artistic taste. This film is, without a doubt, one of the best (if not THE best) films of 2012. Since I was a bit late to the punch, there are plenty of reviews out, and I know that most enthusiasts would haveDon't listen to the ridiculous, amateurish critics here. The majority of the users giving this film poor views just LOVE films like Wreck it Ralph and The Bourne Legacy. Talk about artistic taste. This film is, without a doubt, one of the best (if not THE best) films of 2012. Since I was a bit late to the punch, there are plenty of reviews out, and I know that most enthusiasts would have planned to see it already... So if you haven't, just see it. Then you can either recognize its gritty brilliance and heart for what it is, or deplore it, and proceed to glorify the latest Michael Bay film instead. Expand
  81. Dec 30, 2012
    The best Tarantino movie since Pulp Fiction. All the actors are perfectly cast. Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo Decaprio, Samuel L. Jackson, and Kerry Washington are all outstanding. I've already seen it twice and I can't wait to see it again when it comes out on blu-ray.
  82. Dec 29, 2012
    The thing that I love about Tarantino (and subsequently about this movie) is that he makes the film that HE wants to make, not the film that anyone else would want him to make. This movie is fantastic specifically because it doesn't follow any tried-and-true Hollywood recipe for success, like so many other movies have been doing lately. Is it a comedy? Sort of. Is it a drama? Sort of. IsThe thing that I love about Tarantino (and subsequently about this movie) is that he makes the film that HE wants to make, not the film that anyone else would want him to make. This movie is fantastic specifically because it doesn't follow any tried-and-true Hollywood recipe for success, like so many other movies have been doing lately. Is it a comedy? Sort of. Is it a drama? Sort of. Is it a revenge flick? Well, yeah. It does actually fit in that category pretty good, but overall it doesn't really fit in an easy genre. People are complaining it isn't funny enough, to which I say, "Funny enough for what? Who promised you funny? If you want funny, or any other "single genre" movie, you're in the wrong movie." The only classification it unquestionably fits into is that it is a Quentin Tarantino movie, and that's what makes Tarantino great. If it weren't for him, a movie like this would never get made and we would all live sadder lives. Expand
  83. ALD
    Dec 29, 2012
    While the film is a Spaghetti Western, it was not set in the west. The two plantations in which they go to are set in Tennessee and Mississippi. The use of the N word is justified because of the time period they're in. I know people say it was overused, but based on the times, it was used realistically. The performances in this movie were absolutely great, and the dialogue was just asWhile the film is a Spaghetti Western, it was not set in the west. The two plantations in which they go to are set in Tennessee and Mississippi. The use of the N word is justified because of the time period they're in. I know people say it was overused, but based on the times, it was used realistically. The performances in this movie were absolutely great, and the dialogue was just as good as any other Tarantino movie. Waltz and DiCaprio dominate in their respective roles, and Foxx does exactly what he's supposed to do in his role. Samuel L. Jackson also played his character to perfection. This movie, in my opinion, was his best since Pulp Fiction. The actors in it should get serious Oscar buzz, as should Tarantino for his directing. I highly encourage everyone to watch it. It was totally awesome. Expand
  84. Dec 29, 2012
    Aside from the obvious Tarantino dialogue, camerawork, and soundtrack, all of which are excellent, the film has an excellent meta-commentary on the blacksploitation genre by contrasting the idea of "Mandingo fighting" with the structure and outcome of the film itself. Characters, though not at snappily witty as in Tarantino's other films, are more complex, thought-out people than inAside from the obvious Tarantino dialogue, camerawork, and soundtrack, all of which are excellent, the film has an excellent meta-commentary on the blacksploitation genre by contrasting the idea of "Mandingo fighting" with the structure and outcome of the film itself. Characters, though not at snappily witty as in Tarantino's other films, are more complex, thought-out people than in Tarantino's other films. Samuel L. Jackson's character, who on a surface reading is a thin parody of the house slave stock character, becomes a much more rich and complex character when you look not only at his actions towards Django in the film, but consider his motivations and his general role at Candyland. I can't decide if he is ultimately a villain, is stealthily mitigating the abuses of the plantation, is simply spiteful, or if some of his more villainous-seeming actions are a poorly-executed attempt to aid Django, in his way. Expand
  85. Dec 28, 2012
    better/comparable to inglorious basterds. not as good as KB, PF, RD, DP, or JB. waltz carried the film and when he goes so does the film. still compared to the rest of hollywood its a 9. compared to tarantino its a 7.
  86. Dec 28, 2012
    Django is a classic in my mind. It falters in the arena of plot, the final climax feels far more contrived than natural, but apart from that, the film is spectacular. The characters/performances are incredibly entertaining. All of them are. Cinematography is gorgeous, and fitting. It's a good time to be had, just leave your thinking cap at home.
  87. Dec 28, 2012
    With any filmmaker, there are ups and down. This one is definitely up! Christop Waltz (in another winning performance) plays a dentist-turned-bounty-hunter who strikes a deal with a slave (Jamie Foxx in the title role): help him find his bounty and he'll free Django and help him find his wife. They outsmart all the villains until they finally land at the plantation run by LeonardoWith any filmmaker, there are ups and down. This one is definitely up! Christop Waltz (in another winning performance) plays a dentist-turned-bounty-hunter who strikes a deal with a slave (Jamie Foxx in the title role): help him find his bounty and he'll free Django and help him find his wife. They outsmart all the villains until they finally land at the plantation run by Leonardo DiCaprio. Despite the cruel depiction of slavery, this is Tarantino's funniest film yet (the head bag scene is a classic). The violence leans toward comic book broadness with more blood splatter than guts or cuts Expand
  88. Dec 27, 2012
    I would actually give Django an 8.5 not a 9. I gave it an 8 on imdb so I would like to think the 2 scores average. I thought it was a good, solid movie. However a few aspects of the story seemed too ridiculous. Only a skilled filmmakers as these could get away with a movie like this. Example, a german cowboy? While it's an interesting idea I'm not sure how the character came to be. PerhapsI would actually give Django an 8.5 not a 9. I gave it an 8 on imdb so I would like to think the 2 scores average. I thought it was a good, solid movie. However a few aspects of the story seemed too ridiculous. Only a skilled filmmakers as these could get away with a movie like this. Example, a german cowboy? While it's an interesting idea I'm not sure how the character came to be. Perhaps more backstory about him would make it more believable and less ridiculous. Overall, like my rating says, the movie was quite good. It kept my emotions high whether I was laughing, near tears or simply blow away by the action. I must say that some of the slavery aspects were painful to swallow, much like a holocaust movie or a movie like Flight where an alcoholic nearly drinks himself to death. However, before the reader gets up in arms, the pain one is meant to feel regarding slavery and the like is appropriate. Unless you are ignorant and don't find it painful or you simply didn't think the slavery aspect was portrayed well in the film. I digress, Tarantino has once again rewritten history in a way. This film ranks third behind Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Bastards. While I'm not sure if what he is doing is right or in good taste even, he still pulls it off because he is a brilliant and talented filmmaker. I look forward to what he is going to do next, I just hope we won't have to wait to long... Expand
  89. Dec 27, 2012
    As accomplished as he is, Tarantino is the most underrated director/writer in Hollywood... NO ONE has a better feel for dialogue, characters and mis-en-scene (the way a scene is played out). If Tarantino ever did a "serious" film like Schindler's list he would win every single Oscar in every category... But he's got his own style where he doesn't take himself too seriously which makes hisAs accomplished as he is, Tarantino is the most underrated director/writer in Hollywood... NO ONE has a better feel for dialogue, characters and mis-en-scene (the way a scene is played out). If Tarantino ever did a "serious" film like Schindler's list he would win every single Oscar in every category... But he's got his own style where he doesn't take himself too seriously which makes his own highly entertaining... I hope he never stoops that low and does a "traditional" Hollywood drama worthy only of "true" dramatic directors.... because he can direct "drama" better than anyone and he doesn't need to prove anything to anyone... He's simply that good, sitting head and shoulder above the rest of Hollywood "elite"... Expand
  90. Dec 27, 2012
    The previews for Django Unchained are misleading because they do this masterpiece no justice. This movie is truly spectacular in nearly every aspect. The dialogue is fantastically written as its both very witty and humorous. Even though comedy isn't on the genre list, there's a lot of comedy, mainly dark, in this - which becomes beneficial for comic relief purposes because the movie hasThe previews for Django Unchained are misleading because they do this masterpiece no justice. This movie is truly spectacular in nearly every aspect. The dialogue is fantastically written as its both very witty and humorous. Even though comedy isn't on the genre list, there's a lot of comedy, mainly dark, in this - which becomes beneficial for comic relief purposes because the movie has many intense scenes and the movie is pretty long. The acting was superb. Almost everyone gave a strong performance. Samuel L Jackson played the old, bitter man to perfection. Jamie Foxx showcased that he could play a multidimensional character that expressed many different emotions. While I'm not fond of DiCaprio, I must admit his first performance as an antagonist was well-done and really blended into the the character he was portraying. And Christoph Waltz truly deserves an award for his performance. Everything about it was brilliant. The timing, mannerisms, facial expressions, body language, believably, you name it. The only performance I didn't care for was Kerry Washington's. Her performance was lacking emotional investment. In other words, I didn't fall in love with her character. But still, her character didn't overshadow the movie's brilliance or even stand out like a sore thumb. It was just mediocre. Like many Tarantino movies, this had a lot of blood, violence, gore, and all that good stuff. That said, the movie isn't for people who have a weak stomach, but it is indeed for anyone who's a sucker for realistic blood and gore. In fact, it will make blood seekers go berserk. After all, let's just say it will make many of his films look peaceful in comparison. The plot and narrating were both crafted well, too. They both keep you guessing what direction the movie is going. An the directing, of course, is just superb. The camera shots, the timing, the choice (plus timing) for the music, the envision of how scenes should look like....... everything was choreograph extremely well. Ultimately, Django Chain is a front runner for movie of the year and in my eyes has surpassed everything that's happened this year by a mile. Expand
  91. Dec 27, 2012
    Django Unchained is Quentin Tarantino's homage to the spaghetti westerns of the 60's- with a hefty dollop of marinara on top, in true QT fashion. Jamie Foxx is the title character, a slave rescued from servitude by a German bounty hunter, Dr. King Schultz (Christopher Waltz). In exchange for helping him track down and kill various wanted men, Schulz agrees to help Django rescue hisDjango Unchained is Quentin Tarantino's homage to the spaghetti westerns of the 60's- with a hefty dollop of marinara on top, in true QT fashion. Jamie Foxx is the title character, a slave rescued from servitude by a German bounty hunter, Dr. King Schultz (Christopher Waltz). In exchange for helping him track down and kill various wanted men, Schulz agrees to help Django rescue his enslaved wife (Kerry Washington) from Candyland, a plantation owned by the sadistic Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio.) Tarantino has a knack for bringing out the best in actors, and DiCaprio in particular shines among a field of diamonds, playing Candie with marvelous antebellum gusto. Samuel L. Jackson said he wanted to play the most hated Negro in cinematic history, and he most certainly gets his wish here. Stephen, Calvin's racist house slave, is a truly despicable character, in a movie filled with them. This is an extremely violent film: fountains of blood erupt onto the screen during gunfights; a runaway slave is torn apart by a pack of dogs; eyes are poked out; skulls are bashed in. None of this should surprise anyone who has seen either of the Kill Bill movies. If gratuitous violence bothers you, do not watch this. I wasn't bothered, though. All the violence is directed towards slave owners and their enablers, and, frankly, they deserve to die. Even if you're an adamant pacifist, you can't deny Tarantino's virtuosity. His style of film making is just so fun to watch. The dialogue is a joy to listen to, as is the music. Even when an anachronistic rap song starts playing, you don't mind because, somehow, it fits right alongside the flamboyant guitar instrumentals and Johnny Cash's god-fearing country. Django Unchained, though simplistic and borderline cartoonish at times, is a supremely satisfying piece of film-making. Movie buffs rejoice: Tarantino is back, and he's not pulling any punches. Expand
  92. Dec 27, 2012
    This might get preachy. First things first, anyone who gives this movie a one out of ten either lacks taste or is just being plain sour. I am not here to rate the director, however I AM here to rate the film. I do not care one bit about how this may or may not stack up to QT's past films. Truthfully, this is one of the most entertaining movies I've seen all year. The cinematography isThis might get preachy. First things first, anyone who gives this movie a one out of ten either lacks taste or is just being plain sour. I am not here to rate the director, however I AM here to rate the film. I do not care one bit about how this may or may not stack up to QT's past films. Truthfully, this is one of the most entertaining movies I've seen all year. The cinematography is vibrant, creative, and brilliant, and QT never fails to tell the story exceptionally well via visuals. The dialogue was witty and fantastic, it exceeded my expectations. (sarcasm ahead) WHY IS THE PLOT SO SIMPLE?! IT SHOULD HAVE A THOUSAND TWISTS AND THE COMPLEXITY OF A 10,000 PIECE PUZZLE! Not. I see nothing wrong with a simple plot that does the job, to simply entertain the audience. This film was amazing. It kept me captivated, laughing, and gritting my teeth from time to time from the marvelously-placed suspense. Expand
  93. Dec 26, 2012
    I saw this on Christmas day in a packed theater. Even though the film was 2 hrs 40 minutes time never dragged and people clapped at the end of the film. I'm docking 1 point for excessive violence which at times was WAY over the top. I know QT loves violence in his films but really, I couldn't watch the scene with the dogs or the Mandingo fight. There is also a scene discussing KKKI saw this on Christmas day in a packed theater. Even though the film was 2 hrs 40 minutes time never dragged and people clapped at the end of the film. I'm docking 1 point for excessive violence which at times was WAY over the top. I know QT loves violence in his films but really, I couldn't watch the scene with the dogs or the Mandingo fight. There is also a scene discussing KKK hoods that seems right out of a Mel Brooks movie rather than Tarantino but it was hilarious. For me, Christoph Waltz was the best thing about the whole movie. I hope he and Tarantino continue to do more films together - it's a perfect match. The film may have been written for Waltz as he is a German actor, and speaking German is a key component of the film. There are strong performances from DiCaprio and Jackson as well. Great directors get great performances from their cast. All in all, a great combination of humor and violence, plus a strong depiction of slavery and its atrocities. Expand
  94. Dec 26, 2012
    Tarantino at his best. Another unique and incredible story. Great acting and screenplay. Definitely the best movie of the year hands down. Jamie Fox isn't the best actor in my opinion but I thought he was great for the role of Django, also Samuel L. Jackson was classic as always!
  95. Dec 25, 2012
    Django is another movie beautifully directed by Quentin Tarantino. It is astonishing that QT is able to take a subject as sinister as the treatment of many African American slaves during the nineteenth century and turn it into a film not only honorable of the subject matter, but as great of a story as Django is. In the midst of much of the underlying torment in the context of the film,Django is another movie beautifully directed by Quentin Tarantino. It is astonishing that QT is able to take a subject as sinister as the treatment of many African American slaves during the nineteenth century and turn it into a film not only honorable of the subject matter, but as great of a story as Django is. In the midst of much of the underlying torment in the context of the film, Tarantino is once again still able to deliver a movie that is both riveting and hilarious. The genius of this film is only further cemented by its exemplary cast. Leonardo DiCaprio plays an outstanding role as one of the wealthiest and cruel plantation owners in the South--so believable at times, it is scary. Jamie Fox also plays his role terrifically, giving the film the hero it deserves. Even the role played by Samuel L. Jackson is utilized very well. However, the role played by Christoph Waltz as Dr. King Schultz is simply sublime, and is a shining example of why he is becoming one of my favorite, if not my favorite, actors to date. Django is sure to become another Tarantino classic. Expand
  96. Dec 25, 2012
    Classic Tarantino movie. Awesome action scenes, great characters, interesting story, hard to find something bad about it. Interesting spin on slavery. Great movie.
  97. Dec 25, 2012
    Quentin Tarantino has given us the best Christmas present, another one of his "Epic" cinematic accomplishments. Not only one of the best but my favorite movie of the year. Underneath the bloody, revenge, slavery theme of Django Unchained is also a love story. Django's only priority in this story is rescuing his beloved wife from the "evil" hands of Calvin Candie (Dicaprio) and his loyalQuentin Tarantino has given us the best Christmas present, another one of his "Epic" cinematic accomplishments. Not only one of the best but my favorite movie of the year. Underneath the bloody, revenge, slavery theme of Django Unchained is also a love story. Django's only priority in this story is rescuing his beloved wife from the "evil" hands of Calvin Candie (Dicaprio) and his loyal black land owner Stephen (Sam L. Jackson). The Western genre is one of my, if not the most, favorite genre of all movie genres. Spaghetti westerns are even superior, in my opinion. So I knew all the little homages Tarantino placed in this film. Including the original Django, Frank Nero, in the same scene with Jaime Fox's Django. These small features of the film just added more fun to my experience not to mention how well the comedy blended while in this portrayal of a dark horrific time in America. The songs used in this movie, MY GOD! Every song fitted so well into the scene it was introduced. The soundtrack is just another reason why Quentin is so unique when it come to film making. From Ennio Morricone to Rick Ross to Jim Croce everything was blended spectacularly to its southern setting.
    To say the acting is great is a bit of an understatement. Jamie Foxx plays such a fantastic lead as his character develops from a shy slave to the fastest, ballsy, gunslinger in the south. Christoph Waltz, like in Inglourious Basterds, steals every scene he's in with his witty charm and his lovable character's way of escaping out of a tight spot very unexpected. Leonardo Dicaprio gives another great performances and probably one of his best. A very flamboyant evil character at that. Now Samuel L. Jackson just blows it out of the park by a long shot. He gives such an astonishing performance as great as on the level of Jules in Pulp Fiction. He steals the scenes from the scenes Christoph Waltz is in. He was by far the most evil and outrageously funny character in the entire movie. He deserves an Oscar nomination for this role. Kerry Washington is great but is not the usual strong female performance you usually get in a Tarantino film. Probably because of the plot and its setting in history. All the secondary characters were flawless as well, including Jonah Hill's comedic small role. I adored everything from the stylized beginning to the showdown in the end. Even the small little details to the actors Quentin uses in his movies like Charles Parks or himself. I honestly found more humor than any comedy I've seen this year. The heavy use of gore and buckets of blood is exactly my taste in movies. Does it drag on? Of course, in the second act it tends to drag on a bit which is probably the set up of Dicaprio's character development. As a fan I wouldn't mind it being five hours long but as a reviewer perspective it could have been trimmed just a tad bid. The death scenes were a spectacle to experience. I was in awe from every death scene. I have to give this masterpiece a 10/10
  98. Dec 25, 2012
    Yes the story is predictable, but name a Tarantino film outside of Pulp Fiction that isn't predictable. What makes this film great is how he can get away with the in your face subject matter, while still leaving the audience laughing at every comical moment. Like a lot of QT films it starts to feel a little long midway, but it picks back up in phenomenal fashion. People who go see thisYes the story is predictable, but name a Tarantino film outside of Pulp Fiction that isn't predictable. What makes this film great is how he can get away with the in your face subject matter, while still leaving the audience laughing at every comical moment. Like a lot of QT films it starts to feel a little long midway, but it picks back up in phenomenal fashion. People who go see this flick and not expect over the top gore are fooling themselves. This isn't a heavily dramatic depiction of the evils of slavery, if you want that you should go see Lincoln instead. Instead it assumes your already aware of how evil slavery was and creates a comedic action satire story of the good angry black guy out to get revenge against a horde of evil white slavers. This isn't his greatest flick, but its the best he has done in a long time. Well worth going to go see, even for people not that into Tarantino flicks. Expect to find a fun and enjoyable action movie with a lot of laughs. Expand
  99. Dec 25, 2012
    One of Quentin Tarantino's greatest movies and in my opinion his best film with the exception of Pulp Fiction. Jaime Foxx does a terrific job in the lead role, however it is the two supporting actors, Christoph Waltz and Leonardo Di Caprio, who truly steal the show. Di Caprio's riveting portrayal of the sinister plantation owner Mr. Candie is perhaps his best acting job so far. If you areOne of Quentin Tarantino's greatest movies and in my opinion his best film with the exception of Pulp Fiction. Jaime Foxx does a terrific job in the lead role, however it is the two supporting actors, Christoph Waltz and Leonardo Di Caprio, who truly steal the show. Di Caprio's riveting portrayal of the sinister plantation owner Mr. Candie is perhaps his best acting job so far. If you are a Tarantino fan this is a must see, it is one of the great movies of the 2000's and through Tarantino's signature directing and witty writing will become a classic in no time. Expand
  100. Dec 25, 2012
    Excellent film. I love all of Quentin's movies but they keep getting smarter and more entertaining. While I'm scared to use the word "realistic" when talking about this movie, it definitely feels more real than some of his past titles (Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds). The characters are, as always, extremely entertaining. Quentin always brings the best out of his actors, and maybe that'sExcellent film. I love all of Quentin's movies but they keep getting smarter and more entertaining. While I'm scared to use the word "realistic" when talking about this movie, it definitely feels more real than some of his past titles (Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds). The characters are, as always, extremely entertaining. Quentin always brings the best out of his actors, and maybe that's because he just writes such great characters for them. The theme for the film is vengeance, which is the usual for Tarantino. He follows the Tarantino style as you can expect, but he doesn't fail to throw in a few surprises. He also isn't afraid to stay true to the times with the word **** being thrown into every other line of dialogue. I'm glad he didn't shy away from this because, as someone familiar with history, it wouldn't have felt right. The dialogue is fantastic, the pacing is terrific, the action is spectacular, and overall it's a very entertaining movie. I can tell already that a few racist or ignorant people are leaving bad reviews because the film pokes fun at them, so be weary about bringing anyone like that to see the movie with you. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Jan 15, 2013
    Another strong, sparky and bloody entry in the QT canon. Although, creaking under its running time, it's not quite as uproariously entertaining as his last pseudo-historical adventure, "Inglourious Basterds."
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Jan 8, 2013
    What Tarantino has is an appreciation for gut-level exploitation film appeal, combined with an artist's desire to transform that gut element with something higher, better, more daring. His films challenge taboos in our society in the most direct possible way, and at the same time add an element of parody or satire.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Jan 3, 2013
    The film doesn't play it safe, so neither will I. Instead, I'll say that it finds Mr. Tarantino perched improbably but securely on the top of a production that's wildly extravagant, ferociously violent, ludicrously lurid and outrageously entertaining, yet also, remarkably, very much about the pernicious lunacy of racism and, yes, slavery's singular horrors.