8.5

1. Apr 14, 2014
    Django Unchained serves as legendary director-writer Quentin Tarantino’s latest installment of cinematic gold. Chalk-full of the witty dialogue and gruesome violence that Tarantino fans have come to love and embrace, This film stacks the deck with notable actors and actresses that are strewn throughout, which only strengthens this movie’s potential and amusement. This film is shot in sort of a sloppy way, with no sense of direction or focus. I can only assume this was done intentionally to increase the sense of overall griminess of the story. While it’s not flawlessly executed (most likely due to Tarantino knack of do things on his own terms) this movie is both thoroughly enjoyable and definitely worth 3 hours of your time. Expand
  2. Apr 11, 2014
    This is a fantastic film. Django Unchained is easily the best film I viewed in 2013. I understand that the film was released in 2012, but I did not see it until 2013. Regardless, this film basically had it all. It did not take it self overly serious, but kept the plot going whenever really possible. There were a few scenes that seemed to drag on a little, as that is a common technique of Tarantino, but most lasted an appropriate amount of time. This film managed to pull all of the right emotional strings. It was straightforward and compelling. Expand
  3. Mar 30, 2014
    Honestly, by far one of the best films by Tarantino. The story is great, the acting is superb... Basically everything is great! One thing that I like about Quentin's movies is the violence, and this film has tons of it! The film completely changed me and I will never forget it!
  4. Mar 22, 2014
    Tarantino hits another home run. This ones out of the city not just the park. What a interesting movie. The characters are amazing. Waltz is the good guy this time and he is wonderful. Fox is wonderful. I really enjoyed this movie. Must see. If you like QT movies you will love it. If you don't like QT movies....what can I say.
  5. Mar 4, 2014
    Tarantino hits home again. I've never really been a fan of Westerns but this is a definite exception. It's definitely too long and I can think of several ways of shortening it, but that gripe is overshadowed by the brutal, dark yet charming storyline. Waltz is also superb as are all of the main characters and overall, definitely a film well deserving of its praise.
  6. Feb 22, 2014
    Django unchained is a violent brutal tale of revenge. Thought this production the acting is consistently engaging and all performers display their characters personalities and the actual raw film making on show here is quite impressive. the story is exiting and entertaining at the same time as exploring deeper themes such as slavery. This film is worth a watch . as long as you don't mind excessive violence. Expand
  7. Feb 10, 2014
    I enjoyed it, immensely in fact, something about Quentin Tarantino's movies that convey so much character and texture, and thus one delivers in spades on both of those accounts, yes there is gratuitous use of the dreaded n-word, but you can't possibly hate the movie because it didn't sweep our history under the rug. One of the most entertaining movies of all time in my opinion.
  8. Feb 9, 2014
    Finally got around to seeing this and was not disappointed in the least. Tarantino once again gives this movie his incredibly unique style, and it somehow works. Great music, great ending and great acting, especially by Leonardo DiCaprio, he absolutely nailed that character. This isn't a perfect movie, but its a damn good one that you need to watch.
  9. Feb 3, 2014
    完美的QT电影,几位配角都很抢眼特别是杰克逊和莱昂纳多,前者对于黑奴奴性的刻画到达疯狂的极致,后者饰演的奴隶主把自己的凶险演得特别好,晚餐对峙戏尤为精彩,配乐传统QT风,场景设计得很棒,剧情超级棒,各种转折和枪林弹雨,结尾大爱。
  10. Jan 25, 2014
    Yes, this is a long movie, but it is amazing all the way through. Quentin Tarantino makes some of the best films I have ever seen. This movie has just about everything you could ever want packed into one film. Witty humor, action, lots of excessive gore at some parts. This kind of film gives Tarantino a great reputation. His films are unlike anyone else's, which is why everyone should watch this.
  11. Jan 17, 2014
    Django Unchained is a 2012 American western film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. The film stars Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington, and Samuel L. Jackson. The film was released on December 25, 2012 (Christmas Day), in North America.American western film filmed in Durango, Mexico
  12. Jan 16, 2014
    One of the best movies I've seen in a while. The effects, story and the characters made me watch it twice. Tarantino underlined very well how black people were treated like dogs which made me sad. Also excluding the sadness, there are many funny and awesome scenes. If you are reading this then watch the movie and thank me later..
  13. Jan 14, 2014
    Tarantino has done it again! Excellent performance by the cast especially Christoph Waltz who thoroughly deserved his Academy Award. Samuel L. Jackson was essential to bringing humour with his 'Uncle Ruckus' -like performance and the ending was the icing on the cake. Thumbs up!
  14. Jan 9, 2014
    I loved every minute of this movie. The dialogue is amazingly well written and hilarious, the characters are memorable, the acting is terrific (Leo) and it's just a blast to watch. One of the best movies of 2012 and one of Tarantino's finest.
  15. Dec 31, 2013
    Entra pra lista como um dos filme mais incríveis de Quentin Tarantino, graças a sua trama, trilha sonora e personagens e sem contar boas doses exageradas de sangue.
  16. Dec 29, 2013
    I was expecting this to be an overrated film riding on the Tarantino hype. But make no mistake, Django Unchained is a great movie in its own right and one of Tarantino's greatest works. It just about nails everything. The scenes are lengthy but very tense and with amazing direction as you would expect. The trademark "no holds barred" violence and intelligently crafted dialogue are present, along with a great deal of comical moments. The story and direction as well as the characters all deserve praise of the highest order. Even if you're not a Tarantino fan, you should definitely give Django a try. Expand
  17. Dec 17, 2013
    Django Unchained is typically too violent and too lengthy and profane. However, all the actors steal their scenes and the plot is very sturdy and strong.
  18. Dec 12, 2013
    This obviously has excellent fight scenes and great performances as well as direction. But nearly three hours makes it become tedious, with a lot of scenes dragging on far longer than they should be.
  19. Dec 5, 2013
    There were a lot of things about this movie that I liked. The things that I didn't like, bothered me.... 1) There are an uncomfortable amount of far-fetched moments, in which characters seem to act against their nature in order to serve the plot better. 2) Tarantino's cameo is extremely awkward he may as we'll have been on screen wearing a beret and sitting in a director's chair. 3) I'll never agree with the use of modern music in period movies. Are electric guitars and hip-hop necessary in a cowboy movie?
    I think Quentin Tarantino is (maybe was) a great director. I just wish he'd stop making semi-serious, semi-goofball REVENGE flicks a la Kill Bill, Kill Bill Vol. II, Inglorious Basterds, and Django Unchained. That's four, and I believe he's threatened to make another Kill Bill! It's now a great number of years since Tarantino has shown any real range as a filmmaker. He obviously has the talent and imagination to make a serious movie for a change, and he really should.
  20. Nov 4, 2013
    As one of my favorite movies of all time, I'm going to recommend this wonderful film to anyone. Yet another Tarantino masterpiece. The film is entertaining through out. Not once did I get bored or think that the movie dragged on. It is very long but it is so well written, acted and directed that the length is acceptable. As Tarantino usually does, he doesn't try to make it something it's not. It does hit on a few heavy subject like slavery but it also has funny moments as all of his films do. Great movie. Go watch it Expand
  21. Oct 13, 2013
    I’m surprised how few people seem to be giving this film a negative review based on racism. The black stereotypes in this film are nauseating. I haven’t seen the film(s?) this was based on, but it seems to me that the value in remaking a thing would be to translate what was good about it while giving mind to what could change. Well, for example, just imagine if Indiana Jones didn’t say, “Good onya Flash Gordon et al., but really you were too dry, we’re gonna load this film up with humor!” But that’s essentially what you have here. Not a dearth of humor, but of human understanding. All of the black characters seemed to reflect Candie’s disgusting lie that black people exist to be servants, except, of course, for Django. He seems to be so contrasted by the idiocy of the rest of the African American characters as to be, in the logic of the movie, infused with the “White Man’s” spirit. Consider the people freed at the beginning and end of the film, they have to be told, “Go now, you are free.” In fact, the men in the wagon continue to sit there through the credits and finally say: “Who was that n-gr?” Thank God that being black and a slave didn’t mean being utterly stupid as this film seems to be saying or we would all be in serious trouble indeed as all the superlative black people gifted to us by history would be erased. I think what is worst for me is that Candie’s bigotry, justified as science in the form of Phrenology, goes completely unchallenged--except in the “Me angry man, you die now” sense. The blame for this falls entirely on Tarantino who should never have created such a racist film. At that scene at the dinner table, I would have relished a pause from the dialogue to bring Sam Jackson on screen to cut into Candie’s skull and show the audience the fallacy of Phrenology. As it is, I think racist people will walk away from this movie feeling empowered with knowledge and reason. Expand
  22. Oct 12, 2013
    This is by far one of my favorite movies. I love everything western and this movie followed the journey of a slave turned bounty hunter named Django in his search to find and free his wife. This movie has a good story, tons of action, and some comedy. This movie was also made by Quentin Tarantino so you know its good already.
  23. Oct 7, 2013
    One of the best movies I have ever seen, I have seen this movie so many times and still can't get enough, do yourself a favor and watch Django Unchained,
  24. Sep 25, 2013
    This was the first Tarantino movie I'd seen in the cinemas and the first Tarantino movie I thought was REALLY good. Previously I'd seen the first Kill Bill which I didn't quite get at first and Inglorious Basterds which was pretty good. I really wanted to see Django Unchained, my expectations were very high and it delivered. It wasn't what I was expecting, but it delivered. There's SO much in this movie that's good. The plot, the characters, the performances, the music, the cinematography, the humour, the action, the drama. If you had to niggle there are some historically inaccurate things (which I think Tarantino would've been aware of) and Django's wife isn't that interesting. But really that's nit-picking, the effect it has on the film is second to none. Whether you count it as a 2012 or 2013 film it'd be up there with the best of either year. Expand
  25. Sep 18, 2013
    Django Unchained is living proof that just because a movie is long, doesn't mean it's boring or that it drags. (This was also proven in Goodfellas) It is a great movie, with expert storytelling by Tarantino and noted performances by Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, and the emerging Christopher Waltz! It's fun to watch, even though the violence level is standard for Tarantino. On a sadder note, this will be the first of his feature films not edited by Sally Menke, who died in 2010. What a pity. Expand
  26. Sep 18, 2013
    Django Unchained (the 'D' is silent), is a fun action film. THe film is a bit slowly paced, yet made sure to ensure that the film was still engaging and kept the action moving. I felt it was a bit long winded (2 hours 45 minutes) for my taste, and I felt it could have been sped up a bit without losing anything. The overall plot is simple, Django get's separated from his wife, and this is the story of him trying to rescue her (that's all I can say without ruining anything). While the film focuses heavily on the main characters, Tarentino does a fantastic job of making the story interesting by using secondary characters to his advantage. This adds a lot to the film and makes the film come to life. The movie though isn't as violence focused as some others by him such as Kill Bill (don't worry, there is still plenty of violence), but really takes advantage of humor to make this a bit more light hearted at times. It's important to remember though that this is a fictional movie. There are historical inaccuracies, etc. and this is fine as long as you can look past that.

Parents, this is not for kids. There is a little nudity, some innuendos, lots of violence, blood, and gore, use of the "N" word, concepts such as slavery, alcohol consumption etc. For this reason I'd peg it at 15-18 years old. This obviously will vary depending on the family.

Overall, the audio itself is not the best I've heard with it's DTS HD-MA 5.1 soundtrack. The film's vocals are slightly low on the volume end. The dynamics aren't there and it's a bit of a flat soundtrack. The highs and lows don't occur often. It does have a few dynamic peaks, the surrounds are used pretty well to create a nice, encompassing environment.

The video was good, a bit cold considering the desert and warm environments the characters were in. The blood and shadows were detailed and the shadows had a fantastic detail level with the grime and textures. The film is a bit soft, not as sharp as I would have liked at times but still well detailed. I believe this is an artistic choice, but one that bothered me at times.

Overall I'd recommend it, but it was a bit longer than I would have liked. The characters were well developed and had some good humor at times. If you have the time, go for it, but if you can't stand a long and often violent movie, I would recommend passing on this.
  27. Sep 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Django Unchained was an interesting film i didn't expect it to be as good as it was, its set in Texas in the year 1858 in this time period black people was considerd slaves and they was nothing more at the start of the film when Django gets saved by the Bounty Hunter Dr. King Schultz he buys Django knows what Schultz targets look like, Django offers to help if Schultz repays the favor by helping him find his wife, after they move on and take down these people and get the Bounty Schultz teaches Django how to kill and become a bountry hunter, They get hunted down by a racist group but Django and Schultz set off a trap and ambush them, lets not give anymore spoilers away, this film is so well writen but its not getting a full 10 from me because i just feel its not perfect, but nothing is OH one more thing the D might be Silent but the N shore isn't Expand
  28. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Django Unchained, Quentin Tarantino’s latest audacious picture, dealt boldly with a topic rarely explored in film. I appreciated how heavy subject matter was moulded into an incredibly entertaining piece of cinema, undoubtedly condemning the atrocities of the era, whilst avoiding simplistic moralising. Shocking juxtaposition of cruelty and comedy, frequently within scenes, created a particularly effective mood whiplash. True to form, much style is drawn from the director’s love of homage; this time from the Spaghetti Western, he brings the visual intensity of stunning landscapes, and a memorable soundtrack, whilst indulging in the exquisite interiors and costumes of the period. Expand
  29. Sep 1, 2013
    Yes this film is racist, but like Quintin said it was a realistic portrayal of those times.The acting in this film is just amazing, the scenes are also great with stunning set's and backdrops. The film also balances comedy with seriousness really well. I know this film is three hours but it kept me entertained the whole way through and its the best film I've seen for a long time, in fact it might possibly be my favorite film ever. Django is great.P.s none of the actors shone over each other they were all just as amazing as one another. Expand
  30. Aug 30, 2013
    Django Unchained: Brilliant. An amazing cast that really show what they can do. Jamie Foxx: Great as Django, a true badass in this movie. Christoph Waltz: Deserved the oscar that he got for this film. Leonardo Dicaprio: A brilliant performance as the films main antagonist Calvin Candie. Violence was over the top but awesome, blood splattered everywhere when someone was shot, the story was great and ended brilliantly in wild west style. An excellent movie that deserves to be watched by everyone of the appropriate age. 9/10. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Jan 15, 2013
    Another strong, sparky and bloody entry in the QT canon. Although, creaking under its running time, it's not quite as uproariously entertaining as his last pseudo-historical adventure, "Inglourious Basterds."
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Jan 8, 2013
    What Tarantino has is an appreciation for gut-level exploitation film appeal, combined with an artist's desire to transform that gut element with something higher, better, more daring. His films challenge taboos in our society in the most direct possible way, and at the same time add an element of parody or satire.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Jan 3, 2013
    The film doesn't play it safe, so neither will I. Instead, I'll say that it finds Mr. Tarantino perched improbably but securely on the top of a production that's wildly extravagant, ferociously violent, ludicrously lurid and outrageously entertaining, yet also, remarkably, very much about the pernicious lunacy of racism and, yes, slavery's singular horrors.